Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPITJoined: Posts: 34,385 mod
edited November 2014 in Tech Talk
Rebooting the thread since the last one was invaded by bots on the Unknown account.

Obligatory link to the old thread.

Please check this thread for a comprehensive list of quality posts.

Intro by Trouble Brewing (with some additional edits by d3v).

Welcome to the world of arcade sticks!

Many fighting game fans, both casual and competitive, decide at some point to ditch the pad for an arcade stick. At one time, the options for American consumers were very limited, but following the release of Street Fighter 4 and subsequent revitalization of the fighting game scene, many new products are available on the market.

Why use a stick in the first place?

Simply put, most fighting game fans find them to be the superior control method. The stick itself is generally considered to be more precise and fluid than a d-pad. Having access to six (or eight) buttons on the control panel is also extremely useful for many advanced techniques in a variety of games. Some of the older, grizzled veterans also prefer them as they grew up playing on arcade parts. The ?authentic feel? is very important to them.

That being said, when most people first change to a stick from a pad, they find their execution suffers in the short-term. This is totally normal! It takes most people a few weeks of practice to get used to playing on a stick. Spend some time in training mode before considering going back to pad, or altering your stick in some manner. You will adjust.

What is the best stick?

The truth is there is no ?best? stick. The answer is subjective. The important thing is understand the differences, so you can make good decisions for yourself.

What is the difference between Japanese and American parts?

In short, Japanese parts tend to be more sensitive and responsive. American parts typically require more effort to move and engage button commands. People generally view Japanese parts to be of higher build quality. That doesn?t mean they are necessarily ?better.? Most of the top Japanese and American players use Japanese arcade parts.

On top of that, these days pretty much all of the commercially available off-the-shelf arcade sticks use Japanese arcade hardware, so they are easier to find.

What is the difference between Sanwa, Seimitsu, and other manufacturers?

Sanwa and Seimitsu are the two largest producers of Japanese arcade hardware. Which should you get? Ideally, try both out and decide which you prefer. If that isn?t an option for you, just get a stick with Sanwa parts. The Madcatz TE stick is full Sanwa stick and buttons and most of the Hori Real Arcade Pro (HRAP) line has a Sanwa stick at minimum. Seimitsu parts also have a lot of fans, but really, you can?t go wrong with Sanwa.

As far as American parts go, ironically the best American parts currently come from a European company, ?iL.? If you?d like to know more about Sanwa, Seimitsu, and the other arcade part companies, consult the essentials thread.

What stick should I buy?

There are basically four price ranges sticks come in: around $50, around $120, around $150, and $250+.

Around $50

Get the Mad Catz SE

In the $50 range, you first need to understand that these sticks do not have real arcade parts in them. They use knock off parts. If you want an entry level stick, or aren?t sure how serious you are about fighting games as a hobby, they are good options.

Why the Mad Catz SE? It?s very easy to mod. If you ever decide you want to move on to real arcade hardware, Sanwa and Seimitsu parts more or less drop right in.

Around $120

The around $120 range generally features sticks with arcade parts, full or partial. The big sticks to look out for here are from Mad Catz and Hori.

Mad Catz offers the TE stick, which features a Sanwa stick and buttons. Hori offers the Real Arcade Pro (HRAP) line, which comes in a few flavors. Normal HRAPs have a Sanwa stick, but have Hori (read: knockoff) buttons. HRAP SAs are full Sanwa, stick and buttons. HRAP SEs are full Seimitsu. Both the Mad Catz and Hori lines are easily modded with other parts, so those knockoff parts in the HRAP3 line can be easily dealt with. The HRAP and TE lines also have slightly different button layouts.

You can?t really go wrong with any of them. The one thing the Mad Catz TE has going against it is the lack of backwards compatibility with playing PS2 games on the PS3. Most people don?t use the PS3 for serious play of PS2 games anyway. Other than that, the TE is a solid choice. There are certain specialty mods (dual console modding) that are much easier to do on the TE than the Xbox 360 HRAP line.

$150

The 150 and above price range is usually reserved for top of the line arcade sticks with premium features. These features may include dual console functionality (at the cost of official licensing from Sony or MS), ease of modding with swing open top panels, touch panels, LED lighting, metal construction, etc.

Examples of these include the Hori Fighting Edge, MadCatz Tournament Edition 2, Hori VLX, the various multi console Qanba sticks, and the Razer Atrox.

$250+

The $250+ range is generally reserved for custom builders. There are a number of excellent custom builders lurking around SRK.

Sticks in this price range are for people who aren?t satisfied with off-the-shelf sticks, or want to have something unique. If you are just getting started in the arcade stick world, these might be more than you want to pay for. They are worth every penny though!
You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
-Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
-Daigo Umehara

Comments

• manbehindthewiresmanbehindthewires Consider yourself lightly, consider the world deeply Joined: Posts: 930
    Just to reboot my Q incase it gets buried. Where are people buying their PCB's (other than AWUK) in the UK? Importing?
    SFV: Chun Li [CFN: thewires / manbehindthewires]
    Third Strike: Alex/Ibuki [Fightcade: MBTW]
    Here to learn.
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,903
    Just to reboot my Q incase it gets buried. Where are people buying their PCB's (other than AWUK) in the UK? Importing?

Probably me.
  • EpiEpi Joined: Posts: 347
    Alright - I used the search function, found the appropriate threads, followed their advice/instructions, and I still have this problem. Rather than make another thread, let me ask here:

My computer still refuses to recognize my PS360+. How do I get it to be recognized? I've updated the firmware, uninstalled the drivers, tried to force it into the Xbox/PS3 mode (didn't work) - bootloader (?) worked though, which was how I updated it - and it is still an "Unknown Device". I've read that it should work through an external USB hub, but I rather wait to see if there's another option before buying one. Advice?
    Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend: Arakune
    Guilty Gear Xrd - Sign - : Leo=Whitefang, I-No
    Link to my sticks: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/5364-Challenging-the-Concept-of-Arcade-Sticks
  • Berserk1Berserk1 Joined: Posts: 113
    You try using a shorter USB cable?
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Can someone lay out for me the best options regarding PS4 sticks? I'm gonna need one for Xrd when it drops and would also like PS3 functionality as that will probably be the tournament standard.
  • FabamaFabama Progenitor of the walk forward EX Grim Reaper Joined: Posts: 25
    NeoBlood wrote: »
    Can someone lay out for me the best options regarding PS4 sticks? I'm gonna need one for Xrd when it drops and would also like PS3 functionality as that will probably be the tournament standard.

When it comes to PS4 sticks, your options are pretty limited at the moment.

Currently, there are only two mass-produced sticks available for the PS4. Those would be the Hori RAP v.4 and the Madcatz TE 2. The Hori RAP v.4 was recently released in the United States and makes use of the Hori Hayabusa lever and Hori Kuro buttons. (I own this stick personally, and I would recommend the Hayabusa lever, but have removed the Kuro buttons in favor of Sanwa OBSFs). This stick is also compatible with PS3.

The Madcatz TE2 for PS4 in unreleased, but is available for pre-order from Madcatz' website. It makes use of a Sanwa JLF and Sanwa OBSF buttons by default. It features top panel which can be opened via a button on the front of the stick, allowing access to the internal storage compartment and wiring for the buttons and lever. It also has a detachable cable. I assume you're familiar with the parts included on this stick, as almost everyone has used Sanwa parts at this point, so I won't bother with describing the quality of the parts. This stick is also compatible with PS3.

Aside from those two options, the only other way to currently obtain a PS4 Arcade Stick is to commit to a custom build. This requires either padhacking a Dualshock 4 or third-party controller, or adding a PCB from one of the two sticks mentioned in this post to your current build. The DualShock 4 padhack is fairly difficult to my understanding, so keep that in mind.

Here are a few links as to where to find the available sticks at the moment:

Hori RAP v.4: http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade-Hayabusa-PlayStation-4/dp/B00L6AVN5E

Madcatz TE 2 PS4: http://store.madcatz.com/categories/fightsticks-category/Mad-Catz-Ultra-Street-Fighter-IV-Arcade-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-2-for-PS4-PS3.html

Padhack Thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/186889/dual-shock-4-padhack-thread-if-you-thought-the-xb1-padhack-was-a-pain-you-dont-know-jack
    Tekken is a pretty cool game.
  • AmagicalFishyAmagicalFishy Joined: Posts: 23
    1) I've been looking into building my own HitBox lately—but all the threads I'm interested in are like 4+ years old. How do I know if the information presented in these threads is outdated without making a new thread?

2) I've read SlagCoin (5 years old), but it only talks about PCBs from other controllers. I'd like some kind of current guide on building your own Fightstick/HitBox (I think things have come to the point where it's possible to do this solderlessly). Where can I find this?

3) All the guides I see on http://www.focusattack.com/phreakmods-cerberus-ps3-pc-joystick-pcb/ require... mounting it to another PCB? What's up with that?
    Trying a shorter cable was the... second thing I did. After testing it out on another computer (which didn't work). First cable which came with the PCB, from Focus Attack, was 15ft. The shorter one was 6ft.

1) Not much of the things are that outdated. I used some of those old guides in making Skelebox. The only things that might be different are the PCBs - design's, button's, stick's (or more button's, for your hitbox) are pretty the same... Well, that might be a more economic design, but that's that. But yeah, this is probably the better thread to ask in, without necro-ing the other threads.

2) Pretty sure I used Slagcoin as an initial resource in building BPS, so it should still be relevant. I'll confirm later.

3) I guess it's for a more organized design.
    Link to my sticks: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/5364-Challenging-the-Concept-of-Arcade-Sticks
  • headmasterritualheadmasterritual Joined: Posts: 152
    http://etokki.com/Misc/Anti-Slip-Tape

Anyone know where to order something like this online or get in person? I tried Ace today but no luck. Maybe Lowe's?
  • AmagicalFishyAmagicalFishy Joined: Posts: 23
    Epi wrote: »
    I meant moreso—why are there two PCBs in the first place? If I'm building one from scratch, can't I just use the one I linked by itself?
    Epi wrote: »
    I meant moreso—why are there two PCBs in the first place? If I'm building one from scratch, can't I just use the one I linked by itself?

The Cerberus is a PCB that allows a Xbox 360 stick (like a standard MadCatz) to access a PS3 - essentially, a dual mod. So unless you want to play on both systems, it's not necessary to get it. So... yeah, to the second question.
  • ThE CRoWThE CRoW Joined: Posts: 759
    Hey again guys,

Darksakul: If you happen to read this, this is the wire I was talking about.

IMG_1725_zpse3f109da.jpg

IMG_1726_zps62fefb85.jpg
  • CoffeejuiceCoffeejuice Joined: Posts: 401
    it's hard to see what that stray wire is connected to. follow it to a point on the pcb or the main outgoing cable and we'll be able to offer some better advice. did you want to keep it as a ps2 stick?
  • AmerikaAmerika Something witty here. Joined: Posts: 414
    I thought about making a new thread for this but I'll ask here first. Please advise if I should make a thread.

I have recently built a stick using the PS360+ PCB and I am going to be adding XB1 support to it via the Crossbone this weekend. The Crossbone has a system switcher built into it where I can assign whichever button I'd like to use (Home in my case) to autodetect the other PCB when the stick is plugged in. After I get this taken care of I would like to padhack in PS4 support. The issue I want to clear up is console switching. I do believe I can use an IMP v2, attach the PS4 padhack to it along with the PS360+, and assign the Select button to switch to the PS4 PCB instead of using the PS360+ when pluggin in my stick. I'd like to know if my thought process on this is correct and if anybody has done this what type of issues you might run into?

Thanks!
  • ThE CRoWThE CRoW Joined: Posts: 759
    Hey coffee juice. Thanks for the reply. I'll try to take pics later. But I think it used to be soldered. If you look at where the red wire is, at the same level of it to the right, that was the old solder. Probably keep it as a ps2 since I have adapters for Xbox already
  • eljohoeljoho Joined: Posts: 14
    I'm looking for a xtokki converter. They are out of stock in etokki.com and they don't know if it will be available in the future. Are there any retailers that carry these that are also willing to ship to Europe? The only one I've found is an american ebay seller with bad feedback.

I already bought a PS2 pad but it's pretty useless without a converter. I would buy a Mad Catz Fight Pad but apparently the d-pad is not very durable and they seem to be out of stock everywhere anyways.

The original xbox controller is driving me crazy.
  • eljohoeljoho Joined: Posts: 14
    Never mind. Found one from xgaming.com
  • MizukiTHPSMizukiTHPS Nyan! Joined: Posts: 169
    Hey I was wondering if anyone has done anything with Toodles TEKitty firmware, or any of his other firmwares and could give me some help with making some changes to them. I want to improve some of the support on the smash bros parts of the drivers. I have programming experience and can do everything once I really know where to get started.
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,903
    MizukiTHPS wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering if anyone has done anything with Toodles TEKitty firmware, or any of his other firmwares and could give me some help with making some changes to them.

Nope.

IIRC only Toodles has access to the code, it was ever made public. And it hasn't been updated in a long time.
    edited November 2014
    Solved the issue with my PS360+ - it was a power issue. Apparently, my laptop couldn't supply the .8A required for it to work?

Well, I used a y cable and now it works - so there's that.
  • Visions__Visions__ Joined: Posts: 30
    I've been poring over some old threads and want to make sure I understand correctly.

If I have a ps3 stick and wanted to dual mod with an Imp, I need to take the USB cable coming off of the stick's pcb, snip it, put the pcb side where it says "ps3 controllers x cable" and solder the usb side to the spots for the usb jack?

• PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,269
    The imp board only allows you to switch between 2 pcb's, it's not a controller pcb itself. If you're trying to add 360 support, you will need a 360 pad hack or a ps360 pcb.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • Visions__Visions__ Joined: Posts: 30
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, sorry, I left that part out. ps3 pcb usb and 360 pad usb go into imp, usb goes out, right?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,269
    Assuming the rest of the dual mod wiring is implied (as in connecting all of the button/direction signals) as well, the area labeled usb goes out, while the 360 pcb's usb cable should be connected to D+, D-, VCC, and ground (the A column) on the wide row. Use this pdf as a better guide: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/imp2.pdf
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,222
    Hey guys travel a lot for my job and wanting to bring my stick with me through airports and stuff when xrd comes out so I can get some training mode in. I know there used to be an option for a joystick that would unscrew so it would neatly fit in a backpack. Anyone familiar with this and if so where would I get it? Also if anyone is familiar with its quality let me know.

I just bought a Hori Hayabusa v4 and am going to need to switch buttons so figured I'd switch the stick also if I could find one of those models.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
    Phreak mods JLF link is what you're looking for. I believe that will work with the Hayabusa lever in your V4 as well. Jasen's Custom's has the best price on them until he runs out: https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
  • headmasterritualheadmasterritual Joined: Posts: 152
    anyone what size the 6 small screws for the bottom panel of a fightstick pro are?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,767
    anyone what size the 6 small screws for the bottom panel of a fightstick pro are?
    No, but if you got at least 1 of those screws, I would take it to a hardware store and see if you can get a partial match.

You are best getting the same thread size and length but not the same appearance.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • AmerikaAmerika Something witty here. Joined: Posts: 414
    edited November 2014
    I have two PS360+ questions for those who have owned them for a while.

1. I noticed that on akishop-customs.com that there is a new, or at least news of the v1.5 firmware. However, I can't find it or any PS360+ firmware downloads. I found the install guide and got everything setup...I just needed a hex file to run in the Atmel Flip software. The Akishop site doesn't even have direct links to files or even it's own guides that I can find outside of using Google. I found http://akishop-customs.com/PS360Plus/Software/OfficialVer1.5.hex but I'm not touching that until I know it's an official release.

2. When I plug in my PS360+ to my laptop joy.cpl reports that a PS360 v1.4 is ready to go and if I plug in to my tower PC it says PS360 v1.2. Does anybody know why this is? It doesn't seem to affect anything as it works just fine. I was just curious. I just found this on FA's site.
    Post edited by Amerika on
  • ChaoticMonkChaoticMonk Shut The Front Door Joined: Posts: 997
    I have a friend who'd like a TE modded to work on his WiiU. Any recommendations on what to source for pcb? I'd like to keep it fully wired (avoid wiimote) if at all possible.
    I was looking at the PDP and Hori battlepad offers but unsure if they're common ground and if theres difficulty with regards to the triggers.

edited November 2014
    Perhaps a Game cube controller and Game Cube to Wii U adapter?
    Darksakul wrote: »

Apart from the recent official one (which is mostly OOS and being sold for a billion dollars), the rest seem to want you to plug it into a wiimote :(
    Would it be possible to simply padhack a GC controller then snip the cable and attach it to a USB one then just plug that in? seems a bit too simple so I doubt it lol
    The mc cthulhu should work if you're going to use a game cube adapter.
    Darksakul wrote: »

Apart from the recent official one (which is mostly OOS and being sold for a billion dollars), the rest seem to want you to plug it into a wiimote :(
    Would it be possible to simply padhack a GC controller then snip the cable and attach it to a USB one then just plug that in? seems a bit too simple so I doubt it lol

Nope, you can't just swap the connector, the protocols, the language the data that needs to be sent is different.

You need a full on adapter like the one Nintendo makes
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Any input on the existing wiiu pads? can't seem to find any info on the PCBs...may have to just pull the trigger on one and find out.
  • YenjoiYenjoi Joined: Posts: 556
    edited November 2014
    ive never used the Chimp board ever honestly however here is my question.

So i have a Chimp v1.1 board i know that this is two boards together the Cthulu and the Imp all in one however my question is.

Does the Chimp board work on ps2 or is it just the ps3 cthulu?
    Yenjoi wrote: »
    ive never used the Chimp board ever honestly however here is my question.

So i have a Chimp v1.1 board i know that this is two boards together the Cthulu and the Imp all in one however my question is.

Does the Chimp board work on ps2 or is it just the ps3 cthulu?
    Just the PS3.

If you want PS2 function you need a MC Cthulhu or a PS360+
    The chimp provides ps3 support, no older systems.
  • YenjoiYenjoi Joined: Posts: 556
    edited November 2014
    Ahh okay I figured when there was no place to mount a rj45 PCB mount just wanted to make sure well dang I have the wrong part then haha but again thanks guys

The guy gave it to me to install in his MAS stick but I told him the chimp is the cthulu and imp in one totally forgetting that there is a ps3/PC cthulu and then there's the MC cthulu lol
  • Wade GarrettWade Garrett Joined: Posts: 144
    I'm apparently an idiot and can't find ps360+ firmware 1.5 hex no matter how many search engines I blaze up.
    It's here, you have to scroll the On page menu down to find it: http://www.akishop-customs.com/PS360Plus.html
  • NakiNaki 「謎のバイカー」 Joined: Posts: 448
    Assuming that the Atrox board is common ground, would this be the appropriate way to try and hook up an MCC + IMPv2 to it?
    i.imgur.com/igAN1Gn.png
    like this post if you want cfe released on psn/xbla
    cvs2 too
    Yes the Atrox is Common ground.
  • NakiNaki 「謎のバイカー」 Joined: Posts: 448
    So hooking up the MCC+IMPv2 like that to the Atrox should work, right? Is there anything special to be aware of regarding the existing USB port on the Atrox if I plan on using an ethernet coupler from the IMPv2 board or can I just ignore the Atrox USB port?
    like this post if you want cfe released on psn/xbla
    cvs2 too
    edited November 2014
    That I can't tell you, the experience I had was on the Beta version of the Atrox not the final retail version.
    They did made some changes from the Beta and the Final version of the stick.

I am hoping someone else on the community chimes in, as I don't want to lead you astray.

You can read though http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145828/the-razer-arcade-stick-thread for more info
  • Prototype909Prototype909 Joined: Posts: 41
    Figured I'd post here before going ahead and making my own thread, please advise if a thread is necessary.

Around 3-4 years ago now I purchased a custom stick w/ RJ-45 and MC Cthulhu support for Xbox360/Ps3 support. By default the stick would register as a 360 stick when plugged in and to switch to "Ps3 mode" I was supposed to hold the HOME button on the stick prior to plugging the USB end of the cable into the console. The problem: the non-360 part never worked -except- for one instance in which I was able to get it working for a period of a few hours on my Ps3 after which I was never able to replicate the feat (Went to bed, turned the console off and nada the next day). After sending it back to the individual who made the stick three separate times (And receiving about five new USB/RJ-45 cables over the course of those three shipments) the guy swore that it still worked on his Ps3. After 3-4 years of on and off still vainly trying to get this thing to work properly I am a bit skeptical that user error is the issue but I guess nothing can be ruled out and I am not above trying yet again.

I no longer have an Xbox360 to test the stick on so my efforts have all since gone to trying to get it to work on my Ps3. When I plug the stick in to my Ps3 after holding the HOME button I can see what appear to be lights beneath the top of the stick flashing (Beneath the buttons), but nothing else that gives me any indication of what might be wrong. If someone could give me some guidance or troubleshooting advice I'd appreciate it (Or if more information is necessary to diagnose let me know).
    I would try a dual pole, dual throw switch rather than the imp board to see if that's where the problem is. That said, if you're not concerned with 360 support at this point, you could just bypass the 360 board altogether and hook up the cthulhu directly. If it still doesn't work after that, there's an issue with the cthulhu.
  • Prototype909Prototype909 Joined: Posts: 41
    edited November 2014
    Update to the above -

Flashing from within the stick is coming from what I assume is where the 360 Pad/Stick LEDs are located normally, so it doesn't appear to be anything troubleshooting related (At least to my knowledge). Even after downloading the Wired 360 Controller drivers for my PC and testing it on that stick displays as USB Device Unrecognized, holding down HOME before plugging the stick in also displays as USB Device Unrecognized.

To summarize -

Stick is by default in a "Xbox 360" state. Holding down HOME is supposed to switch it to "MC Cthulhu Ps3/Ps2" state
    Windows 7 PC does not seem to recognize either state (Assuming they are even properly switching as they are meant to) as a valid USB device when plugged in, even after installing 360 Controller Drivers on the computer.
    I no longer have a 360 to test it on, but while I still I did it worked fine on that.
    Attempts to get the stick to work on my Ps3 have proven unsuccessful over the course of the few years I've owned the stick, though at once point on a Windows XP PC both the 360 Fightpad and MC Cthulhu states were read properly

I don't have any current/self-taken pictures of the inner workings/wiring of my stick, so the best I can do is a photo taken by the creator after it was made just to show what the lay-out is - however I myself am not knowledgeable in regards to wiring. http://i.imgur.com/Q9kwxBW.jpg

I no longer care about multi-console/360 support, ideally I just want to be able to plug into my Ps3 and have a working Ps3 stick without having to abandon my stick case. Everything else can go if needed.
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 890
    Blah

Pics requested
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Self proclaimed biggest Madcatz TE1 fanboy of all time
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
    edited November 2014
    Flagging "WTF" when people try to help you won't get you too far here. Open up the case and plug the Cthulhu directly into the PS3 using a a USB a to B cable (make sure to unplug the RJ45 cable from your ps3 or pc first, plug both in and things will be fried). If it works , you can simply replace the Rj45 jack with a USB jack, leaving the RJ45 cable disconnected.