Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Comments

• x02DannyBoyx02DannyBoy Joined: Posts: 35
    edited February 24
    Hey got a quick question that I haven't been able to find an answer or material to. I'm modding a wii tvc stick but I can't find a pin diagram or picture to show the locations of the turbo and home on the pcbs back.Can anyone show/tell me the points?
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,861
    Is the J-Stik on ultimarc an actual Sanwa JLW or a clone?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,967
    Tensho wrote: »
    Is the J-Stik on ultimarc an actual Sanwa JLW or a clone?

Clone, a very close clone
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Just a Bol of Sadguys Joined: Posts: 1,508
    Has anyone tried zippy switches in a Hayabusa for a silent mod? Getting an optical Hayabusa from arcade shock is expensive (>100 CAD after shipping) so if I can save a few bucks while still getting a mostly silent hayabusa I'd rather go the zippy method
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 25
    BolSadguy wrote: »
    Has anyone tried zippy switches in a Hayabusa for a silent mod? Getting an optical Hayabusa from arcade shock is expensive (>100 CAD after shipping) so if I can save a few bucks while still getting a mostly silent hayabusa I'd rather go the zippy method

I have them in my jlf I can't remember if the mounting is identical, but ull probably need to do some.soldering to get the original switches out.

Zippys have a lot of play that you will definitely feel the longer throws. I uploaded some videos if you search youtube on how to modify Zippys.

After modifying the actuate very quickly and are still just as silent.
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 882
    edited February 25
    So... I've got a pertinent question:

Is there any way that we can make this:
    dmpuuh.jpg
    A. Bold (100%)
    B. Italic
    C. Underlined
    D. Color-cycle
    E. Blink/Flash
    F. All of the above
    ???????
    jopamo wrote: »
    So... I've got a pertinent question:

Is there any way that we can make this:
    http://i67.tinypic.com/dmpuuh.jpg
    A. Bold (100%)
    B. Italic
    C. Underlined
    D. Color-cycle
    E. Blink/Flash
    F. All of the above
    ???????

We do have this

TgYBVkl.png
    The sticked thread with the RULES inside with the words in bold READ FIRST

Apparently people are blind to this.

If you are referring to the Gamerbridge gb-13, that been transferred here over from General Discussions.
    Which is a whole other bag of worms.
    edited February 25
    Maybe the entire title should be made bold then? Coz it ain't workin'
    And nope, I'm not referring to that transferred thread. I'm referring to the list of question threads that keeps growing...
    And growing...
    And GROWING!
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    But after m
    And nope, I'm not referring to that transferred thread. I'm referring to the list of question threads that keeps growing...
    And growing...
    And GROWING!

You can't fix stupid. The sooner you accept that the easier your time here will be. It just takes some moderator level of management if you want to see some immediate change. Restricted user rights for new accounts comes to mind. It would force all the new users to use the dedicated question threads instead of creating new ones.
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204
    Restricted user rights for new accounts comes to mind. It would force all the new users to use the dedicated question threads instead of creating new ones.

I think you're really on to something here!

But after m
    And growing...
    And GROWING!

You can't fix stupid. The sooner you accept that the easier your time here will be. It just takes some moderator level of management if you want to see some immediate change. Restricted user rights for new accounts comes to mind. It would force all the new users to use the dedicated question threads instead of creating new ones.

Can't be done now on Vanilla, but on long ago it used to be New accounts are forced to only post to the Newbie Dojo until certain criteria was meet.

jopamo, just don't get too pushy with the new guys. You can get infracted for going too far.
  • ProgressiveBalanceProgressiveBalance Lili - Heihachi - Akuma - Evil Ryu - Wolverine - Zero - Scorpion - Baiken - Mitsurugi Joined: Posts: 231
    Does anybody know the difference between JLF switches and JLW switches?

The JLF uses omron switches, usually soldered to a PCB.
    The JLW used a completely different brand switch, they have levers and is individually tabbed

• ProgressiveBalanceProgressiveBalance Lili - Heihachi - Akuma - Evil Ryu - Wolverine - Zero - Scorpion - Baiken - Mitsurugi Joined: Posts: 231
    Darksakul wrote: »

The JLW used a completely different brand switch, they have levers and is individually tabbed

https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-ms-o-2-187-fastener-micro-switch/ Are these JLW switches or just levered JLF switches? Is there a way to find out the engage force? I want to get levered JLF switches, this is why i'm asking
    edited February 26

https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-ms-o-2-187-fastener-micro-switch/ Are these JLW switches or just levered JLF switches? Is there a way to find out the engage force? I want to get levered JLF switches, this is why i'm asking

Those are JLW switches for all intensive purposes. (Albet a aftermarket replacement), The originals had the name Sanwa molded right into the body of the switch.
    Those are not even the right brand to be JLF switches. The JLF uses Omron brand switches with no lever and a red plunger (see photo below).

The switches on this link is an aftermarket switch and not even Omron. I search for the part number V-J16-1C25-002. They are made and sold by a Chinese company Hangzhou Lingyue Science Technology Co., Ltd
    https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-ms-o-2p-micro-switch

As you see those switches don't match these switches on the TP-MA assembly
    SANWA_TP_MA__36583.1436980479.1280.1280.jpg
    Thanks
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,665
    How do you guys approach cutting holes into the side of arcade stick cases? Example: adding more 24mm holes for push buttons?

I have a dremel with different attachments as well :)
    I just take my hand drill with 24mm forstner bit and go to town. I'm sure there are better methods though.
    I just take my hand drill with 24mm forstner bit and go to town. I'm sure there are better methods though.

That what I use.

An alternative is using a step bit.
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,665
    Awesome, thank you guys! I'll buy that forstner bit, should make things a lot easier.
  • PerkolatorPerkolator sernic berm Joined: Posts: 140
    anyone know a good pad to pickup for a Dreamcast padhack? I've heard the standard pads' triggers are analogue and don't work well for hacks.
    anyone know a good pad to pickup for a Dreamcast padhack? I've heard the standard pads' triggers are analogue and don't work well for hacks.

Depending on the DC pad they aren't even potentiometers, they are hall effect sensors which are harder to hack.
    Potentiometers are relatively easy if you know what your doing.

The boards to use is the PCB out of the Agetec Arcade stick or a MC Cthulhu
  • Booty_ZipperooniBooty_Zipperooni Joined: Posts: 3
    I plan on building a stick myself for PC. I have a few questions about this.

1. Would it be a bad idea to buy both a Ball Top joystick and a Bat Top joystick, so that I can test and feel each one myself?
    2. How much should I be expecting to spend? Is somewhere around $120 what I should expect?
    3. Is Amazon/Ebay a good place to buy parts, or should I only be getting everything from a website dedicated to Sticks?

Thanks in advance!
    Focusattack.com paradisearcadeshop.com are 2 good sites to buy parts, do you just want to try both a ball and bat top? then buy a ball top stick and buy a bat top for it to test out. Unless you mean a bat top like an American style or Korean stick.
    Good place to start if you're building your own stick: http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html
  • PerkolatorPerkolator sernic berm Joined: Posts: 140

Depending on the DC pad they aren't even potentiometers, they are hall effect sensors which are harder to hack.
    Potentiometers are relatively easy if you know what your doing.

The boards to use is the PCB out of the Agetec Arcade stick or a MC Cthulhu

ah good to know, thanks. is there any $$$ amount I shouldn't spend more than on those Agetec ones? theres a ton out there and they seem to go for around $80 with shipping.
  • Pr0sk_Pr0sk_ Joined: Posts: 32
    Is somewhere around $120 what I should expect?

I guess it's something like that, more or less, depending on the parts you want. I just paid $150 for buttons+stick+pcb+neutrik+shipping to Europe (35$)
    1488536877-twitt.png
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,966
    I'm completely out of the loop as I haven't done a mod like this since Toodles was still around so I'll need some help.

I need to install an LED driver board and button LED pcb's into a new unit but have no idea what to get. I'm only using a basic PS4 pcb (which I already have) and not a Brook pcb because firmware updates will not be possible.

It doesn't matter if it's RGB compatible or not, so what are my best options for an LED driver & button pcb's?
  • Dr. FaustDr. Faust Charging all day long Joined: Posts: 578
    Anyone here have experience with the tek-innovations TE Full Plexi Replacement on a TE-S. I effed up my metal panel and need to replace it. I made a thread about this but clearly I'm an idiot because I should of just asked it here.
    Steam: johnfewiv
    SF: Vega(Claw)
    GG:Axl
    BB: Carl
    T7: Lee
    gahrling wrote: »
    I'm completely out of the loop as I haven't done a mod like this since Toodles was still around so I'll need some help.

I need to install an LED driver board and button LED pcb's into a new unit but have no idea what to get. I'm only using a basic PS4 pcb (which I already have) and not a Brook pcb because firmware updates will not be possible.

It doesn't matter if it's RGB compatible or not, so what are my best options for an LED driver & button pcb's?

Look into the Kaimana series of LED controller boards and LEDs
    They are easy to install and set up and there easy to use tools to program your own patterns

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/185316/kaimana-rgb-led-board-thread-rgb-animations-and-more-srk-tech-talk-2013-product-of-the-year
    Is Paradise Arcade the only shop at the moment to do LED hardware?
  • TenPoundCowTenPoundCow Joined: Posts: 8
    edited March 1
    I just got all of my parts and tried to build my custom Hitbox. I bought the Brook UFB as my PCB. I was able to strip a couple of my wires to make two of them fit in the "up" part of the screw-in terminal. I proceeded to screw in the rest of my QD's in the screw-in terminal.

So I have QD's set up in the screw-in terminal, and I have a 30 QD daisy chain set up as my single ground wire. Hopefully that'll give you guys a decent idea of how my stick is set up inside.

When I fired up my stick, my Sanwa buttons weren't really responsive. The only buttons that worked well were the two "up" buttons I set up. The rest of the buttons required a lot of force to activate, except the 3P, which doesn't work at all, so I can't manually make my stick go into 360 mode right now.

Do you guys have any idea on what my problem might be? Sorry I can't delineate my situation better since I'm about to head off to school, but I'll try my best to explain my set-up better if you have any questions.

Edit: Typos and grammar.

Edit 2: Never mind. My 24mm Sanwa buttons had silencers in them, so that's what was messing up my buttons. I took them out, and they work now.
    Post edited by TenPoundCow on
  • CyanPrimeCyanPrime Joined: Posts: 45
    Anyone know why DS4Windows doesn't detect wired PS4 controllers, and how to fix it? My Hori RAP4S won't work. :(
    Focusattack.com paradisearcadeshop.com are 2 good sites to buy parts, do you just want to try both a ball and bat top? then buy a ball top stick and buy a bat top for it to test out. Unless you mean a bat top like an American style or Korean stick.
    Good place to start if you're building your own stick: http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html

Do those websites sell Cases? Why do you mention American and Korean Bat Tops?

Do those websites sell Cases? Why do you mention American and Korean Bat Tops?

You said you want to build a stick, that site shows you how to build one.
    Because you mentioned buy a bat top and ball top joystick, ball top joysticks mainly are Japanese and Bat top are American and Korean mainly.
    You can get a bat top and adapter for some some Japanese sticks to change it to a bat top but not sure if you can change a bat top stick into a ball top as easily.
    Most of this is in the link I posted.
    You said you want to build a stick, that site shows you how to build one.
    Because you mentioned buy a bat top and ball top joystick, ball top joysticks mainly are Japanese and Bat top are American and Korean mainly.
    You can get a bat top and adapter for some some Japanese sticks to change it to a bat top but not sure if you can change a bat top stick into a ball top as easily.
    Most of this is in the link I posted.

Thanks for explaining about bat tops and ball tops. Neither of those websites seem to sell cases though, where can I buy one, and how much should I expect to pay?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,398
    CyanPrime wrote: »
    Anyone know why DS4Windows doesn't detect wired PS4 controllers, and how to fix it? My Hori RAP4S won't work. :(

DS4windows only works with an actual DS4 in my experience. If you're trying to play SFV on pc, direct input support was finally added, meaning you can now use DI controllers (like ps3/ps4 controllers) without a wrapper program.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • Finest_KOFinest_KO Joined: Posts: 171
    So, I was able to pick up a VLX on the cheap. But it's rough:

Images here

Anyone have any tips or things I should know before I take the panel off and give it a new glossy black finish? I figure I'd just sand it, prime, and paint. Anyone have any recommendations on a grit to use on this bad boy?
  • CyanPrimeCyanPrime Joined: Posts: 45
    CyanPrime wrote: »

DS4windows only works with an actual DS4 in my experience. If you're trying to play SFV on pc, direct input support was finally added, meaning you can now use DI controllers (like ps3/ps4 controllers) without a wrapper program.

Naw, I was trying to get my stick to work for KI. I'm using AntiMicro and so far it's good though. Anyone know if it's more/less lag prone?
  • R_UR_U Joined: Posts: 6
    What's the "best practice" for getting the quick connects out of the way on the bottom of push buttons? Just put the connector on and bend everything? Trying to reduce the total depth of the button installation.
    R_U wrote: »
    What's the "best practice" for getting the quick connects out of the way on the bottom of push buttons? Just put the connector on and bend everything? Trying to reduce the total depth of the button installation.

Carefully bend the pins out. Alternatively you can clip the pins off and solder directly to the stumps. But I don't recommend it..
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    can anyone list some quick pros and cons for the Hori VLX and the Qanba Dragon??? My dualmodded TE-S finally bit it, and it's time for a replacement.

I will also consider looking at a Panzer 3 too if they're still being made, I just want something that will last as long as my beloved TE-S did.
    mikeohara wrote: »
    can anyone list some quick pros and cons for the Hori VLX and the Qanba Dragon??? My dualmodded TE-S finally bit it, and it's time for a replacement.

I will also consider looking at a Panzer 3 too if they're still being made, I just want something that will last as long as my beloved TE-S did.

Just get a Panzer. Metal > Plastic
    Which Sanwa blue do the OBS-MX blue plungers match more closely with? Royal blue or dark blue?
    edited March 3
    Metal > Plastic

Except metal cases have the propensity to sound loud and hollow AF. I know: I have two of them.

The plastic commercial sticks I have sound much nicer. Will they last as long as my metal ones?...only time will tell
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 935
    The og Madcatz sticks and hraps are solid, you can drop them from 6 foot and they're fine, but if you proper smash them to the ground then obviously they will get damaged

If your te-s Is good then just replace the pcb, the current gen sticks are not better than what you got already, and you get to keep the familiarity of what your used to.
    hey i'm going to be buying a hrapv4kai pretty soon but i prefer seimitsu parts. I know the buttons are an easy mod but what sticks fit into the the hrapv4kai?. I also was wondering what sticks work well for fighting games as I've read many different opinions.
    Any stick you are good with works well for fighting games, like the Hayabusa that comes with that stick. What ever other people tell you will be personal preference.
    Any stick you are good with works well for fighting games, like the Hayabusa that comes with that stick. What ever other people tell you will be personal preference.

I can pretty much play on anything but like you said its a preference. I just want to know if they will fit or will i need to buy some diffrent mounts before I try to mod it.
    Depends on the stick you buy, some will require a different mounting plate than others. Some Seimitsu's require an SS plate some MS or VF plate, most of the time it will say that in the info when you buy a stick.
    Are there any cheap diy methods of silencing a joystick? I was thinking of making a small wooden box covered in acoustic foam to surround the base of the stick inside the case