Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,269
    platynumx wrote: »
    What's the best way to Dreamcast ->vga->hdmi ?

Its a toss up between the XRGB Framemeister Mini or the OSSC the OPEN SOURCE SCAN CONVERTER .
    Both devices has it's pros and cons. Also unless you want to go the DIY route right now the OSSC has a huge wait list.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 84
    edited April 5
    platynumx wrote: »
    What's the best way to Dreamcast ->vga->hdmi ?
    The Behar borthers are pushing their last modifications for their Akura, and HDMI box directly from the Dreamcast:
    https://www.beharbros.com/akura

But this is not an upscaler, so 480p HDMI.

Videos on their Youtube channel are available.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 492
    edited April 5
    Can't wait for my Akura to arrive. The wait has been brutal. Many TVs can accept a 480p signal, but some can't.
    Also...Adding an upscale to the mix will introduce input lag.
  • Godwin_PointGodwin_Point Joined: Posts: 5
    Hello

I'm in the process of building an arcade stick, I intend to dual mod it (Brook ps3/PS4 and an official wired 360 controller)

Someone just told me that dual modding with a 360 controller wouldn't work(something to do with the pad being common ground but not common line? He couldn't find any reliable sources...)

His info might be outdated tho, so is this still the case ? (I'm using a recent black wired controller, with a common ground PCB)
    edited April 5
    I'm confused, why give yourself the extra wire soldering and routing work when you could just pick up a UFB for a few more bucks?

http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/06960737/
    I already had some 360 controller laying arround, and the UFB is like double the price in France : o)
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,913
    I already had some 360 controller laying arround, and the UFB is like double the price in France : o)

Official wired 360 pads aren't good to dual mod with, I believe the issue is that they are common line. What you want is a common ground pcb with practical solder points,

If you are determined to dual mod then instead look for a MadCatz 360 Fightpad / Brawlpad.
    edited April 6
    The last model seems to be common ground tho (I have this one http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram1.jpg )
    I'm using only the ground above "A" for every button+direction (I'm not using the RT/LT trigger)

I'll try in a few days, and i'll go for a madcatz if I can find one, thanks !

Edit: So yeah, I did siome reasearch adn all of the official controler are indeed common line, not common ground. There was a thread here to fix that, but all the links are dead. I'll search for another pcb then !
    Post edited by Godwin_Point on
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,606
    edited April 6
    with madcatz going under, does anyone know if its possible to get my hands on a replacement USB cable? It's not a standard molex connection on the case.

I know they produced lots of color variations for pads, but Ive been unable to find anything for sale in the last year.
    jopamo wrote: »
    Can't wait for my Akura to arrive. The wait has been brutal. Many TVs can accept a 480p signal, but some can't.
    Also...Adding an upscale to the mix will introduce input lag.

The Framemeister Mini is known to add 2 frames of lag, that is well known and documented. But it has a very nice picture quality and interlaces well.
    The OSSC has no frame buffer and handles the image scan line by scan line instead of field by field so there no lag, it's deinterlacing isn't the most pretty but it's lag free.
    Also the OSSC can handle resolution changes without losing Sync, the Framemeiste takes a second or two to get sync back.

For the TVs that can't accept 480p via HDMI or have terrible internal scallers, you have to use a scaller with your Dreamcast HDMI out anyways.

otter wrote: »
    with madcatz going under, does anyone know if its possible to get my hands on a replacement USB cable? It's not a standard molex connection on the case.

I know they produced lots of color variations for pads, but Ive been unable to find anything for sale in the last year.

Are you talking about the Mad Catz cable with that circular metal connector that connects to the Pro Pad and the TE 2?
    That is actually an aviation connector.

Here a thread with a breakdown on how to make your own.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/211034/know-how-the-mad-catz-pro-cable
    I'm on the (mile long) waiting list for an OSSC. Until then, TV scaler it is. I don't intend to play CvsS2 or MvsC2 competitively and my TV has 19ms lag in game mode already.
    I'm on the (mile long) waiting list for an OSSC. Until then, TV scaler it is. I don't intend to play CvsS2 or MvsC2 competitively and my TV has 19ms lag in game mode already.

I am currently using an older XRGB2 Plus. It converts everything to VGA, just just a VGA connector, to actual VGA 31khz carrier frequency, 640×480 resolution.
  • Silly GooseSilly Goose Joined: Posts: 364
    edited April 7
    Hey guys I'm trying to troubleshoot my TES+. I'm randomly missing diagonals. I checked to make sure the 5 pin connectors were in tight, which was more of a chore than I expected because of that new plastic piece they put on them. Is this a common issue with this model? Is it working perfectly for the last year til I replaced the buttons & put a bat top on it.
    Post edited by Silly Goose on
    edited April 7
    1. Clean the red tabs of the JLF microswitches with 99% isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab. Press the tabs multiple times once cleaned to prime.
    2. Try diagonals again. If it's still not working...
    3. Check the JLF-H harness connection at the main PCB. The connector may not be fully connected into the header. If it's still not working...
    4. Replace JLF TP-MA assembly. If it's STILL not working...

5. Would've been "contact Mad Catz support," however they are going bye-bye. As such, if everything still doesn't work, the main PCB is kaput. Time for a Brook board ;-)
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • FSaberExFSaberEx Joined: Posts: 1
    I have a slightly specific question about the hori RAP sticks. Are the back plates interchangeable? The one I purchased is the 2016 hayabusa V from japan and it ended up not having a backplate with the pads for your lap. Most of the sticks sold by hori in the US seem to have this plate and both the Japanese and US sticks look exactly the same in size and shape. I would assume there wouldn't be a difference if the backplates were to be swapped, but I'm not 100% sure. Is anyone able to confirm this?

Thanks for the help!
  • jtcarnesjtcarnes Joined: Posts: 2
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a total newbie to fightsticks. I'm looking at custom building my first stick instead of buying one. I've been looking at layouts on slagcoin and I've noticed that almost all of them have 8 buttons. Why do I need 8 buttons? I know I'm going to want buttons for select, start, etc, but why 8 in the layout? If it makes a difference, I'm looking to connect it to a Raspberry Pi and run RetroPie.

Thanks for any answers that you guys can offer.
    edited April 7
    FSaberEx wrote: »
    I have a slightly specific question about the hori RAP sticks. Are the back plates interchangeable? The one I purchased is the 2016 hayabusa V from japan and it ended up not having a backplate with the pads for your lap. Most of the sticks sold by hori in the US seem to have this plate and both the Japanese and US sticks look exactly the same in size and shape. I would assume there wouldn't be a difference if the backplates were to be swapped, but I'm not 100% sure. Is anyone able to confirm this?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome! 1/16" self-adhesive sponge neoprene sheet. Get it on eBay or Amazon. Have fun.
    jtcarnes wrote: »
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a total newbie to fightsticks. I'm looking at custom building my first stick instead of buying one. I've been looking at layouts on slagcoin and I've noticed that almost all of them have 8 buttons. Why do I need 8 buttons? I know I'm going to want buttons for select, start, etc, but why 8 in the layout? If it makes a difference, I'm looking to connect it to a Raspberry Pi and run RetroPie.

Thanks for any answers that you guys can offer.

Welcome!
    6 is cool. 8 is dick.

Not to sound like a jerk, but there literally TONs of threads on this board that deeply discuss this very topic (to death). Trust me, the search button does not bite. That said you will never need 8 buttons on a Raspberry Pi...except for (maybe) Playstation games.
  • jtcarnesjtcarnes Joined: Posts: 2
    Thanks for the welcome.

I should have searched. I found plenty. In short, it looks like 8 buttons sucks, which is kind of what I was already thinking. I'll just chop the right 2 buttons off the layout that I like. Thanks.
    I recommend Sega 2P layout.
  • MaskedburritoMaskedburrito Joined: Posts: 70
    PS4 pro and legacy mode. I can't find any information regarding compatibility.
    I have a PS360+ board in my stick which isn't working on my PS4 pro. Does anyone have any information regarding the pro and legacy support?
  • platynumxplatynumx Slave of Bolas Joined: Posts: 34
    PS4 pro and legacy mode. I can't find any information regarding compatibility.
    I have a PS360+ board in my stick which isn't working on my PS4 pro. Does anyone have any information regarding the pro and legacy support?

Legacy support is only available in games that enable it via a driver in the game. Did you try to force PS4 mode? 1p +1k if I remember right. If the ps360+ is on the last version of it's firmware I think it defaulted to PS3 when on PS4.
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce Left behind Joined: Posts: 2,396
    FSaberEx wrote: »

Thanks for the help!

The reason is because your HRAP isn't the Kai version of the stick,only this one have the pads under it. Like jopamo suggested before you can fix that with some neoprene self-adhesive sheets.
  • ProgressiveBalanceProgressiveBalance Joined: Posts: 150
    edited April 9
    I'm planning on putting Sanwa RGs inside my madcatz TES and replacing the metal panel from a soul calibur stick to give me a noir layout. Does anybody know if the buttons will fit without dremeling? I just want to. Know before I waste any money on buying the parts. I know that the soul edition stick has different insides that looks like it is to accommodate a noir layout but I don't know how necessary it actually is.

Also I want to clean off the metal panel I have currently, with the vewlix layout. How should I go about this.
    Post edited by ProgressiveBalance on
  • EndRantEndRant Joined: Posts: 208
    hey guys, I'm getting an etokki stick(korean edition) and I'm switching the lever to an ls40 and wanted to make sure in getting the right cable to replace it. am I getting the right thing?
    uxcell® 40cm 2.54mm 5 Pin Female to Female F/F Jumper Cable Connector 5 Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9Y80AK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RrU6ybGHQVNPQ
  • SeanAugustSeanAugust Some Guy Joined: Posts: 9
    I'm trying to get my arcade stick (MadCatz MLG 360) working for KI on Win10. The buttons are all working, but it's not registering the stick itself. This is just in KI, as it all works fine with SFV. Any idea on what I can fiddle with to fix this?
    edited April 10
    Did you try toggling the LS/DP/RS switch while moving the stick? Dunno much about ki, just was the first thing to come to mind.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • DocabyssDocabyss Joined: Posts: 2
    i was trying to see if anyone fully opened up an obsidian to see if the LEDs on the side panels can be changed.
    was just curious to see if it was even possible.
  • RiderkickerRiderkicker Joined: Posts: 130
    edited April 11
    I need to mount a JLF/MS plate to my Hori V3 (regular) but I don't know what screws to get. I was told a 3/4" height screw, but I couldn't decide. I know the four holes are not threaded so I would need something a little bigger than the hole. Metric or standard size welcome.

Or are the M4 10mm set at Focus attack okay?
    Post edited by Riderkicker on
  • Dr. FaustDr. Faust Charging all day long Joined: Posts: 578
    question, If im am going to use custom art with a six button layout on a stick that has a metal plate that has an eight button layout. do i need to buy plugs for the last two buttons or do i just lay the printed art down the and add the plexi
    Steam: johnfewiv
    SF: Vega(Claw)
    GG:Axl
    BB: Carl
    T7: Lee
  • jey-arejey-are Intermediate Noob Joined: Posts: 33
    Anyone get that 3rd gen Silent JLF? Any feedback on it, or direct me to a thread discussing it already? Thanks.
    -Psn ID: JxRx420
    -Instagram: jeyrizzy
    -Usually plays Tekken. (TTT2/soon to be T7)
  • sucramsucram I like bean jam Joined: Posts: 25
    Hi everyone,

Been awhile since I last posted here, but I had a quick question if anyone has an answer or can point me in the right direction, I couldn't really find anything.

I have a 360 MadCatz TE-S that I dual modded with the TEKitty to work with a PS3. I'm looking to dust it off in prep for MvC:I. Does anyone know if it's possible to make it PS4 compatible? I'd hate to have to buy a new stick if I can just work with the one I have.

Thanks!
    sucram wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Been awhile since I last posted here, but I had a quick question if anyone has an answer or can point me in the right direction, I couldn't really find anything.

I have a 360 MadCatz TE-S that I dual modded with the TEKitty to work with a PS3. I'm looking to dust it off in prep for MvC:I. Does anyone know if it's possible to make it PS4 compatible? I'd hate to have to buy a new stick if I can just work with the one I have.

Thanks!

PCB swap with a compatible PCB. Use the Intro thread for guide links and use the search function.
    The best, most widely recommended PCB for the job is the Brooks Universal Fight Board.
  • sucramsucram I like bean jam Joined: Posts: 25
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

PCB swap with a compatible PCB. Use the Intro thread for guide links and use the search function.
    The best, most widely recommended PCB for the job is the Brooks Universal Fight Board.

Thank you. I didn't know I could just do a full PCB swap. I was thinking I had to put another board on top of my existing 2 boards. Appreciate the help!
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Thank you. I didn't know I could just do a full PCB swap. I was thinking I had to put another board on top of my existing 2 boards. Appreciate the help!

You could, but the additional boards get redundant and you have to watch for the max amp draw of each board
    There is a stand alone PS3 board from brook if you want to keep your Xbox 360/Te Kitty combo.
  • M1XM1X 04'er Joined: Posts: 78
    So I could go to Slagcoin and get the details and all that...

But really, what's the fastest way to just pop some LEDs in my MadCatz TES+?
    https://goo.gl/photos/hZF6CBKjXdLXYDGh8

That's the stick. The only thing I want to do is have that middle button with the Venom art light up. I don't care if ti blinks when I hit it or just stays on. I just want that illuminated.

What do I need?
    PSN: m1x4h
    XrdR: Venom
    SFV/ST: Guile
    KoF14: Yuri/Athena/Kyo
  • MasterIcarus7MasterIcarus7 Joined: Posts: 1
    So, my TE2+ needs a replacement wire harness for the buttons. Of course this happens the day after MadCatz dies. Any idea where I could find a replacement?
    Hey I got SFV yesterday. I played training mode yesterday and a few ranked matches that had some lag. I thought that the lag was just the cross platform adding lag to it but when I played story mode there is some lag randomly for a few frames. Below is my pc specs. Any solutions?
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M R2.0 (CPUSocket)
    Graphics
    VX238 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (XFX Pine Group)
    Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224FB
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,294
    Looks like your rig is getting a bit on the old side, that CPU is a generation older than the i3 -4160 @ 3.6ghz listed in the minimum requirements. Also, "R9 200 series" isn't specific enough, there are a lot of cards in that line with a very wide spread of power. Regardless, the best thing you could do to work with what you've got is to try lowering quality settings, especially the resolution.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • Pr0sk_Pr0sk_ Joined: Posts: 24
    I have a core i5-3450@3.10GHz, 4Gb RAM and a GTX 660Ti, my config looks more or less like yours and SFV runs fine.

I have a few drops from time to time but nothing really that annoying. Is your pc clean, defragmented, not too much programs using your ram when you play (ATI stuff, skype, web browser open etc etc) ? These are obvious things but on my old config it makes the difference. This + lowering the graphics as said just before, should be enough
    1488536877-twitt.png
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 406
    What settings are you playing at? Try low spec mode and see if you still drop frames. As @PresidentCamacho , said, you need to be more specific about what gpu you have. Cpu and ram should be fine.
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,215
    So, my TE2+ needs a replacement wire harness for the buttons. Of course this happens the day after MadCatz dies. Any idea where I could find a replacement?

Make one using an IDC ribbon cable.... its 16 pins worth of .110" QDC crimping.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    edited April 16
    Pr0sk_ wrote: »
    I have a core i5-3450@3.10GHz, 4Gb RAM and a GTX 660Ti, my config looks more or less like yours and SFV runs fine

Your config is not like his..
    You do know that an i3 3220 is a dual core CPU, right? Your i5 3450 has four cores (not to mention a 500Mhz higher base core clock speed). I'm pretty sure that SFV will make more use of all of that.

Also, unless he is running a R9 270X (or above), your GTX 660Ti will smoke his GPU.

While lowering settings can have an effect (esp. AA, shadow & texture) the quickest way to test for effectiveness is drop the resolution down a notch while retaining all other current settings.
    Post edited by jopamo on
    Pr0sk_ wrote: »
    I have a core i5-3450@3.10GHz, 4Gb RAM and a GTX 660Ti, my config looks more or less like yours and SFV runs fine

Your config is not like his..
    You do know that an i3 3220 is a dual core CPU, right? Your i5 3450 has four cores (not to mention a 500Mhz higher base core clock speed). I'm pretty sure that SFV will make more use of all of that.

Also, unless he is running a R9 270X (or above), your GTX 660Ti will smoke his GPU.

While lowering settings can have an effect (esp. AA, shadow & texture) the quickest way to test for effectiveness is drop the resolution down a notch while retaining all other current settings.

I have a R9 270 but i should prob update that and my processor. I reduced the shadows to low and put everything else to automatic settings which helped so far but i have not played extensively yet.
    edited April 16
    Woops. Sorry for the bad info then

I'm looking for a simple way to use buttons with leds. I don't need to program any pattern or anything else, I just want simple clear buttons that get glowing when the stick is wired.

I'm not sure I really get how PCBs work with leds, and I'm a total beginner with everything electronic. So 2 questions :

- if I get it right, all PCB are differents, some are designed to work with leds, and for some others an external mod is needed ?

- I like these Qanba buttons but these are the best photos I've found, never one from under. How do you wire these, just like any classic button ? From what I see there is no wiring for power but I'm not sure this makes sense..
    1488536877-twitt.png
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 406
    What stick/pcb do you have? Unless you just want leds that are either all on or off youll need a led controller like the kaimana or an opensource solution like moledcule on a arduino board . How hard the install is depends on the pcb of your stick. The easiest are after market pcbs like brooks ufb witch have a 20pin connector that you just plug the led controller onto. Some retail sticks have secondary pins for all buttons that can still easily be piggybacked with jumperwires. If you have no secondary pins on your pcb you can still solder.
    Ok, thanks. I go from nothing, so I can choose anything depending on the result I want : as simple as possible, technically and visually. And as you say, just a full on/off installation, no need for more.

That's why these Qanba buttons look nice, the design is simple and the leds are already in the buttons.
    1488536877-twitt.png
  • KensumitsuKensumitsu Joined: Posts: 18
    edited April 16
    Does anybody know how to wire an optical hayabusa with 6 pin harness? Have no idea which pin is ground, up, down...
  • M1XM1X 04'er Joined: Posts: 78
    M1X wrote: »
    So I could go to Slagcoin and get the details and all that...

But really, what's the fastest way to just pop some LEDs in my MadCatz TES+?
    https://goo.gl/photos/hZF6CBKjXdLXYDGh8

That's the stick. The only thing I want to do is have that middle button with the Venom art light up. I don't care if ti blinks when I hit it or just stays on. I just want that illuminated.

What do I need?

Bump?
    PSN: m1x4h
    XrdR: Venom
    SFV/ST: Guile
    KoF14: Yuri/Athena/Kyo
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Just a Bol of Sadguys Joined: Posts: 1,393
    Get a regular 3mm led, connect it to gnd and vcc with a resistor, glue it to the under side of the button.
    PSN: YukiJudai 100, Steam: SRKTT NNG | Bol Sadguy, NNID: Eren_Jaegerrr, Twitter: @BolSadguy
    Arcade Stick Modder in Ontario, Canada. Official stick modder of YUFGC. Sponsored player for Notice Niche Games.
    Current sticks: Yu Narukami TE2 (HBFS-G2, PS-14-DNK, Hayabusa), Hanayo Koizumi Atrox (PS-14-KN, PS-14-DNK, LS-56), Ryuko Matoi HRAP V3 Kai (OBSF-30, OBSF-24 JLF), Mami Tomoe TE (OBSF-30, OBSF-24, LS-40)