Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Comments

• jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 998
    edited April 17
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,329
    Kensumitsu wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to wire an optical hayabusa with 6 pin harness? Have no idea which pin is ground, up, down...

Assuming you have it from Arcade Shock, the WHITE wire is the VCC the BLACK wire is the GND (I designed the wiring harness for them). Everything else is orientation specific. I.e. how you mount the lever.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • M1XM1X 04'er Joined: Posts: 135
    BolSadguy wrote: »
    Get a regular 3mm led, connect it to gnd and vcc with a resistor, glue it to the under side of the button.

Gracias.
    PSN: m1x4h
    I play Venom in Guilty Gear.
  • Dr. FaustDr. Faust Charging all day long Joined: Posts: 578
    Dr. Faust wrote: »
    question, If im am going to use custom art with a six button layout on a stick that has a metal plate that has an eight button layout. do i need to buy plugs for the last two buttons or do i just lay the printed art down the and add the plexi

bump
    Steam: johnfewiv
    SF: Vega(Claw)
    GG:Axl
    BB: Carl
    T7: Lee
  • M1XM1X 04'er Joined: Posts: 135
    question, If im am going to use custom art with a six button layout on a stick that has a metal plate that has an eight button layout. do i need to buy plugs for the last two buttons or do i just lay the printed art down the and add the plexi

bump
    You can do just the art especially if it's a good quality paper it's printed on. Thickness, that is. I had my hrap like that forever.
    PSN: m1x4h
    I play Venom in Guilty Gear.
    A plexi with only 6 button cutouts will make your concerns moot.
  • JayduckyJayducky Stupid Questions---> Joined: Posts: 736
    edited April 18
    Does anyone know if a JLW will fit in a Sega agetec "green goblin" for Dreamcast with modification?
    Also, will the Sanwa RG buttons fit the green goblin depth wise? Getting ready to start modding two
    agetecs and I'm hoping to get answers before I order parts. Thank you!
    Step 1: Put a hole in the box.
  • AVCAVC always learning Joined: Posts: 406
    Does anyone know if i can use my killer instinct TE2 led board in my sfv ryu TE2+ ?
    the reason i asked is i dont see any led buttons on the TE2+ panal at all like the killer instinct TE2
    i really would like to do this to my stick please let me know guys

edited April 19
    Jayducky wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a JLW will fit in a Sega agetec "green goblin" for Dreamcast with modification?
    Also, will the Sanwa RG buttons fit the green goblin depth wise?

I don't know about the JLW, but I had to bend tabs on my green Standard OBSF-30s just to get the quick disconnects to fit
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,554
    AVC wrote: »
    Does anyone know if i can use my killer instinct TE2 led board in my sfv ryu TE2+ ?
    the reason i asked is i dont see any led buttons on the TE2+ panal at all like the killer instinct TE2
    i really would like to do this to my stick please let me know guys

Yes but the LEDs will always be on. The button on the KI TE2 does nothing other than change the LEDs between on, off and haptic.
  • JayduckyJayducky Stupid Questions---> Joined: Posts: 736
    jopamo wrote: »
    Also, will the Sanwa RG buttons fit the green goblin depth wise?

I don't know about the JLW, but I had to bend tabs on my green Standard OBSF-30s just to get the quick disconnects to fit

Thanks Jopamo! That saves me some time and money. I think I'm still going to try and fit a JLW cause the dreamcast has so many good shmups!

Step 1: Put a hole in the box.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,415
    Also, will the Sanwa RG buttons fit the green goblin depth wise? Getting ready to start modding two

with modification.

Although I think you are better off with a smaller joystick for the agetech
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    edited April 20
    LS-56 is nice and small, and has a short throw. Perfect for shmups IMO. I was thinking of throwing one of those in my other Agetec with some PS-14-Gs.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • ShiroZXShiroZX Joined: Posts: 36
    Hello, I was brought to this post after I did a thread. The thing is, in short, I'm going to buy my first fightstick, it is gonna be that classic mayflash f300 (maybe f500 if I give myself some more time). Of course im going to upgrade those. Im also planning to add led mods, and a member here recommended me kaimana and a hex converter (I think it was called like that).
    I recently saw that kaimana uses a pcb that connects to a 20 pin header (If not, I have to buy some "mini breakout").
    Soo... To anyone who had a f300/f500. Does the pcb has that 20 pin header? Im pretty sure there is no difference between both stick's pcb.

Also, is there any specific store I should buy the buttons and the hex converter in case I do that method?
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 3,845
    quick question
    is the power plug on the madcatz te stick soldered or just plugged in?

anyone know a site where to get a replacement for the power cable?
    appomo wrote: »
    quick question

There is no power cable. You mean the USB cable.

There is no site to order just the cable. You would have to buy a normal USB cable, preferably for a printer (not a cell phone)
    Clip off the Square shape B type end, and splice that into the wiring of the stick.
    edited April 21
    USB cable? Yes, they are soldered into both PS3 and Xbox 360 version TE boards. You can buy any 13' USB type A cable, and cut the non-A side. Just know that you'll need to free the four internal cables, and possibly some of the metal insulation shielding (that's why you see 5 solder pads) for soldering. Slipping the ferrite core from the original cable and making a loop before soldering will help reduce signal interference too.

[edit]this cable has shielding thin enough to slip through the feed hole in the cable compartment to the main board:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017UOXN2U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 3,845
    Darksakul wrote: »
    appomo wrote: »
    quick question

There is no power cable. You mean the USB cable.

There is no site to order just the cable. You would have to buy a normal USB cable, preferably for a printer (not a cell phone)
    Clip off the Square shape B type end, and splice that into the wiring of the stick.

so the original...usb cable, is soldered onto the board too?
    Yes. On both versions of the TE
    edited April 21
    Has anyone here ever discovered a good source for exact replacement feet for Mad Catz TE and VS sticks? I have had a bitch of a time finding feet that fit the exact specs (all are too tall for the width)

1/4" H x 15/16" W; 3/16" centerbore (for screw)

I tried Penn Elcom 9120's but while the height and width are really close, the durometer of the rubber is harder and thus sticks slide around on surfaces much more than with the original TE feet
  • sage78sage78 Joined: Posts: 3
    I'm trying to replace the stick in a cheapo mayflash i bought with a Sanwa, but the modding tutorial i followed gave some dreadful instructions such as scratching the stick PCB to separate the grounds. The mayflash PCB still works but the sanwa PCB doesnt work pressing any of the directions. What should I do?
    HBRpziL.jpg
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    sage78 wrote: »
    I'm trying to replace the stick in a cheapo mayflash i bought with a Sanwa, but the modding tutorial i followed gave some dreadful instructions such as scratching the stick PCB to separate the grounds. The mayflash PCB still works but the sanwa PCB doesnt work pressing any of the directions. What should I do?

Did you test it with a multimeter?

IIRC the Mayflash pcb's use red as GND and black as signal wires.
    gahrling wrote: »

Yes, i tested the grounds with the multimeter and it made a sound. the signal ones too.
    the black wires are in COM and the red ones in ON. Should i revert this? or just flip the white connector in the mayflash PCB :P
    im scared of actually testing this plugged into my PC in case it fries any component.
  • deadxobbitdeadxobbit Joined: Posts: 50
    edited April 22
    Hey guys! Could anybody point me to a EU based arcade components store? I don't want to order from Akishop.com because they take too long to process and ship the order, and shipping from the US costs way too much to make a purchase feasible.

Edit: Thanks in advance.
  • platynumxplatynumx Because I have willed it. Joined: Posts: 135

Yes, i tested the grounds with the multimeter and it made a sound. the signal ones too.
    the black wires are in COM and the red ones in ON. Should i revert this? or just flip the white connector in the mayflash PCB :P
    im scared of actually testing this plugged into my PC in case it fries any component.

Are you sure that main pcb is alright? It shouldn't matter how you wired the sanwa pcb as long as each set of wires went to the same switch on the pcb,which looks like they are. Activating a switch(I.e moving joystick till a switch clicks) completes a circuit for a direction. You should get something out of it unless the main pcb is fubared.
    Plug it in to your PC and see if it gets recognized . Then run the game controller tool thing(can't remember proper name) in windows.
  • platynumxplatynumx Because I have willed it. Joined: Posts: 135
    deadxobbit wrote: »
    Hey guys! Could anybody point me to a EU based arcade components store? I don't want to order from Akishop.com because they take too long to process and ship the order, and shipping from the US costs way too much to make a purchase feasible.

http://www.arcadeshop.de

Never dealt with them. Stumbled upon them looking for something on Google.
  • ShiroZXShiroZX Joined: Posts: 36
    edited April 22
    Hello guys I was wondering if amazon has offerts/discounts of fightsticks and if it's just a few brands like hori and/or madcatz, (preferably mayflash f300/f500) maybe some buttons/joysticks as well, and when do these discounts come?.
  • deejaycribdeejaycrib Joined: Posts: 60
    hello everyone, some have this problem with TE2+ ?
    here on video :
    do u know how to fix this? please :(
    edited April 23
    ShiroZX wrote: »
    Hello guys I was wondering if amazon has offerts/discounts of fightsticks and if it's just a few brands like hori and/or madcatz, (preferably mayflash f300/f500) maybe some buttons/joysticks as well, and when do these discounts come?.

That's as mysterious as asking something like: 'how many days will it rain in Cincinnati in November?'

The only peeps who really know the answer to your question work at Amazon :wink:
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 23
    PS360+ PCB: rewire old stick or start from scratch?

Recently saw a guide for modding a MadCatz stick with the PS360+ board instead of using original connections. Given that some of the older madcatz sticks have a little input lag, and I'm modding an OG MadCatz SE stick (Xbox 360 ver), would it be better to just wire things directly to the PS360+, in case one of the stock circuit boards or wiring is an issue? Or is it unlikely to matter either way?

Also, does the cthulu guide for making rj45 ethernet cables apply the same to the ps360+, or do any changes need to be made? (edit: just saw that akishop has the pin assignments, nvm)

~~~~~~~~~

30mm buttons slightly too large (as jopamo said above), 24mm buttons too small. Drop-in buttons would be the Crown CWB203c (@ paradise or etokki), though you have to solder the wires on.

Also they are slightly smaller than the stock Agetec buttons, so you may want to replace them all at once if you're planning a mod.

(black rim exaggerates the button size difference but you get the idea)
    BH5B2YG.jpg
    HBRpziL.jpg

Per one of the old Mayflash threads, you can use solder to reconnect them after scratching the PCB.

But I also ran into some trouble and didn't feel great about harming the PCB, so I just desoldered it and removed it all together and attached the wires directly to the switches. But YMMV.
    GRJ1BjV.jpg
    KkUtfFH.jpg

Either way I would say to make sure your ground is OK.
    Post edited by TS on

Swap your black wires with the red wires, I don't think you can simply flip the white plugs because the sockets are one way, but what you could do is carefully pull the sockets off then flip them around.

You haven't fucked around with the VCC or GND points on the main PCB, so testing a joystick out should be quite safe on a PC or console. But NEVER solder components or wires while the arcade stick is plugged in.
  • Hustle KongHustle Kong Joined: Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I have a problem, and I hope my inexperienced self can communicate it correctly.

I have an madcatz SFXT VS fightstick for the 360. The board crapped out on it, and so my ex-roommate threw in a spare brawlstick PCB he had.

I didn't know about this until I was trying to figure out why the home button wasn't working (it's the 2 player side of a joined set, so I hadn't really needed it). Opening it up, everything is wired up except the one ribbon cable from the daughter board because the turbo panel is a 7-wire ribbon, and the brawlstick board has a 6-wire connector. The LCD lights up, and the ls/dp/rsswitcg works.

Now, if I want the home button to work and I don't care about he turbo or the lock functions, what is the easiest way for me to get it connected to the main pcb?

Alternately, if I'm only using it as the 2P side, can you think of any reason I might need it? I have converters to get it working on the PS3, ps4 and Xbox one. But I'm trying to figure out if it is required on any systems.

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.
    "Street Fighting's my communication!"
    platynumx wrote: »

http://www.arcadeshop.de

Never dealt with them. Stumbled upon them looking for something on Google.

Thanks! Will definitely check them out later.

Swap your black wires with the red wires, I don't think you can simply flip the white plugs because the sockets are one way, but what you could do is carefully pull the sockets off then flip them around.

You haven't fucked around with the VCC or GND points on the main PCB, so testing a joystick out should be quite safe on a PC or console. But NEVER solder components or wires while the arcade stick is plugged in.

This worked. Thanks a lot for helping out a modding noob like me! Just need to get the stick fixed to the plastic now.
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 468

http://www.smallcab.net and http://arcadeforge.net are the ones i order most of my stuff from
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce <------Not a Shill ('til Makoto happen) Joined: Posts: 2,766
    edited April 24

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com has everything you need.
  • donutdonut i get distrac Joined: Posts: 142
    should the different console cables people sell for the PS360+ work the same with the Cthulhu with RJ45? i got a pair of USB cables that work fine, but a PS2 cable that gives me no signal at all.
    edited April 26
    That is really great! I can barely "finger paint" in MS Paint LOL.
    I always found it strange how people needed hand-holding as to properly reassemble their joystick. I mean, you take note of the existing part orientation (with photos), you take it apart,..then reassemble per memory and photos.

I've shared the following graphic from slagcoin and it still left some scratching their heads:
    joy_diagram.png

Your graphic is much more comprehensive. Well done.
    donut wrote: »
    should the different console cables people sell for the PS360+ work the same with the Cthulhu with RJ45? i got a pair of USB cables that work fine, but a PS2 cable that gives me no signal at all.

Per THIS article from @jmanDMC they both use the same pin-out. Perhaps the PS2 cable is faulty.
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,418
    Yep, the pinout is the same. I have both boards and use the cables interchangeably.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    donut wrote: »

1. Cthulhu boards only work with USB
    2. Only MC Cthulhu boards will support older consoles. Check which board you have.
    3. If you have an MC Cthulhu then first update the firmware to the latest version
    4. If you still have problems then check the board has been installed correctly.
    @Dubon @NCK_Feroce Many thanks for the links!
    cUqIizH.jpg
  • Explorer200Explorer200 Joined: Posts: 442
    I saw this video by ahkihabarashopdotjp which shows that you can interchange the shaft from an ls-32 with a ls-40. The video didn't explain any details like what else needs to be swapped out in order for the shaft to be compatible.

Here is the link

Just curious if anyone has done this swap and can vouch for it being alright or if its crap. I LOVE the look of the ls-32 having no shaft cover and been wanting to try the Ls40. An ls40 with a 32 shaft would be great but if it mechanically ruins what makes the Ls 40 good then I'll have to make due with an ugly shaft cover.

Thanks a lot

• blankaexblankaex Joined: Posts: 108
    edited April 30
    I want to cut some holes in my stick cases but all I've got are hole saw drill bits and a standard corded drill. Can it be done?

I don't think I'll have any issues cutting 24mm holes in plastic cases, but I also want to modify a control panel to fit collared Korean levers and add a Neutrik passthrough to an Etokki Omni. Any advice? Last time I tried I sort of just destroyed the face without actually cutting anything. Would heating it up with a hair dryer or something help?
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    blankaex wrote: »
    I want to cut some holes in my stick cases but all I've got are hole saw drill bits and a standard corded drill. Can it be done?

I don't think I'll have any issues cutting 24mm holes in plastic cases, but I also want to modify a control panel to fit collared Korean levers and add a Neutrik passthrough to an Etokki Omni. Any advice? Last time I tried I sort of just destroyed the face without actually cutting anything. Would heating it up with a hair dryer or something help?

Step Drill bit for expanding the metal joystick 24mm to fit your Korean stick. A few tutorials on youtube as well.

Hole saws are all I've needed for plastic cases.
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204

Step Drill bit for expanding the metal joystick 24mm to fit your Korean stick. A few tutorials on youtube as well.

Step drill bit looks like a good investment. I'll look into getting one. Any tips for drilling holes into metal cases?
  • Pr0sk_Pr0sk_ Joined: Posts: 33

Step drill bit looks like a good investment. I'll look into getting one. Any tips for drilling holes into metal cases?

First time I drilled metal I cut myself pretty badly, I thought it would be as easy as wood but the piece of metal went turning with the drill.

Go slowly, don't drill dry (if it's clear, I lack of english technical vocabulary), you can use lubricating oil ; and don't be affraid to attach very well the piece you're drilling. You don't absolutely have to for a slim metal panel but you can't be too careful
    1488536877-twitt.png
    edited April 30
    I saw this video by ahkihabarashopdotjp which shows that you can interchange the shaft from an ls-32 with a ls-40. The video didn't explain any details like what else needs to be swapped out in order for the shaft to be compatible.

Here is the link
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Sqdy6YRikfw

Just curious if anyone has done this swap and can vouch for it being alright or if its crap. I LOVE the look of the ls-32 having no shaft cover and been wanting to try the Ls40. An ls40 with a 32 shaft would be great but if it mechanically ruins what makes the Ls 40 good then I'll have to make due with an ugly shaft cover.

Thanks a lot

it's not hard to do that swap. You want to swap over the whole shaft assembly, including the spring holder, spring, actuator and eclip.
    The LS-40 shaft is a different diameter than the LS-32 shaft so you have to bring all those other parts as well.

There is a way to go without the LS-40's shaft cover, but you need a washer to fit where the shaft cover once rose up the shaft a tiny bit.
    Pr0sk_ wrote: »

First time I drilled metal I cut myself pretty badly, I thought it would be as easy as wood but the piece of metal went turning with the drill.

Go slowly, don't drill dry (if it's clear, I lack of english technical vocabulary), you can use lubricating oil ; and don't be affraid to attach very well the piece you're drilling. You don't absolutely have to for a slim metal panel but you can't be too careful

Thanks for the advice. As long as I know it's possible then I think I can work something out.