Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

1120121122123124126»

Comments

• PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,319
    I'd suggest adding a small momentary switch instead, it's a much smaller footprint.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 652
    edited May 18
    Yep. You can find some decent ones starting at 16mm diameter, and smaller. Space is tight, so good luck on the placement/mounting. I've seen some people mount the USB passthru inside the cable compartment.
  • EldritchOnRyeEldritchOnRye Joined: Posts: 64
    jopamo wrote: »
    Yep. You can find some decent ones starting at 16mm diameter, and smaller. Space is tight, so good luck on the placement/mounting. I've seen some people mount the USB passthru inside the cable compartment.

There's a video on YouTube of someone doing it (which of course I can't find again) and there seems to be very little margin of error with that approach. Not that there seem to be a lot of better options.
    PSN: EldritchOnRye
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • SixpakvbSixpakvb Joined: Posts: 2
    I've got a problem where my stick always has an input to the right even with the joystick unplugged, took a look at that area of the PCB and there's a black mark touching the solder on the right input.
    Would anyone have any idea what that is, if it's causing the issue I'm having, or if there's any way to fix it outside of buying a new PCB?
    UPDWnN1.png
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,487
    Sixpakvb wrote: »
    I've got a problem where my stick always has an input to the right even with the joystick unplugged, took a look at that area of the PCB and there's a black mark touching the solder on the right input.
    Would anyone have any idea what that is, if it's causing the issue I'm having, or if there's any way to fix it outside of buying a new PCB?

The issue is from the faulty diodes. You will want to remove the diode D10 that is right below the circled pin.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • SixpakvbSixpakvb Joined: Posts: 2
    Gummo wrote: »
    The issue is from the faulty diodes. You will want to remove the diode D10 that is right below the circled pin.
    Thanks, I appreciate the help.

And I hate to ask, but how would I go about figuring out what type of diode to buy to replace it? I can't really contact Madcatz since they're defunct, and I'm not sure that they release electrical schematics of their boards, so I don't really know how to figure this out.
    Do I take a multimeter to another one of the diodes in that row to measure the voltage drop?
  • TheGlowTheGlow Inverted Reverse Fall-away Master Joined: Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey, whats a good option to add PS4 support to sticks? I've been out of the game a bit and debating to oget Injustice 2, but I'm thinking PS4 vs Xb1 since I dont like my xb1 much.
    Problem is I have a Mad Catz TE1 w/ 360 pcb, a modded dreamcast agetec w/ an xb1 mini usb and a 360 Vewlix, I think I put xb1 mini, but might still be 360 since I was using on PC mostly.
    I don't want to drop $100+ for an allin1, or have they gone down since last year?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,319
    TheGlow wrote: »
    Hey, whats a good option to add PS4 support to sticks? I've been out of the game a bit and debating to oget Injustice 2, but I'm thinking PS4 vs Xb1 since I dont like my xb1 much.
    Problem is I have a Mad Catz TE1 w/ 360 pcb, a modded dreamcast agetec w/ an xb1 mini usb and a 360 Vewlix, I think I put xb1 mini, but might still be 360 since I was using on PC mostly.
    I don't want to drop $100+ for an allin1, or have they gone down since last year?

A Brook ps4 board or a Hori FC4 padhack. Or you could use a Brook UFB by itself and have ps4/ps3/360/xbone in a single board, though it's significantly more expensive than the first two options.
  • TheGlowTheGlow Inverted Reverse Fall-away Master Joined: Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

A Brook ps4 board or a Hori FC4 padhack. Or you could use a Brook UFB by itself and have ps4/ps3/360/xbone in a single board, though it's significantly more expensive than the first two options.
    Are those USB converters any good? i remember original ones adding some latency but not sure if they've improved.
    And refresh my memory, if going for dual pcbs, I can just connect the buttons to the inputs on both pcbs, put a dpdt from USB connect to both pads but it only toggles the data lines, leave power and ground to both?
    edited May 21

If you were going to be using that stick long term and not replacing it eventually then going to a universal board is probably the best investment. If it's only a stop gap thing you could also consider one of the adapters Brook make which seem fairly popular: https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-xbox360-to-playstation-4-usb-adapter/ or https://www.focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-xbox360-xbox-one-to-playstation-4-usb-adapter/
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™

Are those USB converters any good? i remember original ones adding some latency but not sure if they've improved.
    And refresh my memory, if going for dual pcbs, I can just connect the buttons to the inputs on both pcbs, put a dpdt from USB connect to both pads but it only toggles the data lines, leave power and ground to both?

They're convenient. I think they may still be a bit on the laggy side, but at most you're talking 1 frame. As for dual modding, here's the guide: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/125848/dual-modding-101/p1
  • DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 506
    What size drill bit do i need for the mounting screws on the Neutrik usb and rj45 models? Lost all my small bits and will need to buy this size.
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,261
    They are #4. If you look at the Datasheet, you will find the specs of the holes and cutouts.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • blankaexblankaex Joined: Posts: 78
    I have one of Art's soft plexi covers from Tek-Innovations on my HRAP V, but I've got this issue where the plexi lifts up (for lack of better words). It sort of curves inwards and creates a bump just to the left of where the joystick is. I imagine the plexi might be getting pulled to the right during gameplay? To fix it I have to unscrew it, hold it down flat and then re-screw the plexi back down. Anyone else had experience with a similar issue?

I think the fact that the buttons are also holding down the plexi may not be helping the case. Would swapping to screw-in buttons help alleviate the case? And while on that note, I believe screw buttons have removable nuts and just slide in, and then are held in place by putting the nut on the other side - is my understanding correct? Is there a minimum panel thickness you need for them to work? Also will the nuts fit in my case? My HRAP V is from Japan which has the standard viewlix layout and I believe the only difference between this and others is the spacing between the lever and buttons, so the button layout should be the same, but just asking to make sure.

And as an aside, how are Seimitsu buttons compared to Sanwas? They look pretty cool but I've never felt them.
    Sixpakvb wrote: »
    Gummo wrote: »
    Thanks, I appreciate the help.

And I hate to ask, but how would I go about figuring out what type of diode to buy to replace it? I can't really contact Madcatz since they're defunct, and I'm not sure that they release electrical schematics of their boards, so I don't really know how to figure this out.
    Do I take a multimeter to another one of the diodes in that row to measure the voltage drop?

Just remove it. You don't need to replace it.
    Are these quick disconnects functionally the same as the ones with the full sheathing?

51SdVQ7RUNL._SL1000_.jpg
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • MarmaladeMikeMarmaladeMike Joined: Posts: 66
    So I got a UFB with the screw in terminals to install in my HRAP 4Kai and I was wondering where the best place to put this thing is, I'd like to avoid dremeling if at all possible.
    Also, can the LS DP RS switch on the Panel hook up to the UFB? Any help would be appreciated.
    edited May 25
    Are these quick disconnects functionally the same as the ones with the full sheathing?
    Yup. They'll do the job without the need for an open barrel crimp tool. All you need is a wire strip tool with crimp nubs on the top. One of my friends used pliers on those, LOL.
    jopamo wrote: »
    Yup. They'll do the job without the need for an open barrel crimp tool. All you need is a wire strip tool with crimp nubs on the top. One of my friends used pliers on those, LOL.

That's what I was hoping, didn't want to drop more money on another crimp tool when I already splurged on some other tools for this project. Now to find the cheapest box of .110 connectors I can find and a source of low cost 22 awg wire.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • rumble1212rumble1212 Joined: Posts: 62
    Hello! Need some help here. Building a SOCD cleaner.
    Using GUIDE: Preventing SOCD on any common-ground PCB by using 7400 chips thread, i went to a local Frys and purchased 74HCT132 nand gate IC. On the aforementioned thread they used 74hc00n. Could i use the 74hct132 without needing resistors? It would be used on a common ground Hori Mini 4 PCB
    Original thread link:
    forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/147393/guide-preventing-socd-on-any-common-ground-pcb-by-using-7400-chips/
  • unaigalderunaigalder Joined: Posts: 54
    I buy a new stick Seimitsu LS-56-01 with octogonal gate, But i need a video to know how to use get the stick i don´t know how to get well the stick.
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,919
    unaigalder wrote: »
    I buy a new stick Seimitsu LS-56-01 with octogonal gate, But i need a video to know how to use get the stick i don´t know how to get well the stick.

What?
  • unaigalderunaigalder Joined: Posts: 54
    The problem that i am playing always with gamepad and i don´t know how play with arcade stick
  • LIGamer77LIGamer77 Joined: Posts: 4
    Im planning to build a fight stick using a wireless Ps3 sixaxis controller pcb linked to a toodles axisadapter and Id like to connect the axis adapter to an IMP and then connect that to a toodles MC Cthulhu. I just dont know if that can be done. Please let me know.
    rumble1212 wrote: »
    Hello! Need some help here. Building a SOCD cleaner.
    Using GUIDE: Preventing SOCD on any common-ground PCB by using 7400 chips thread, i went to a local Frys and purchased 74HCT132 nand gate IC. On the aforementioned thread they used 74hc00n. Could i use the 74hct132 without needing resistors? It would be used on a common ground Hori Mini 4 PCB
    Original thread link:
    forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/147393/guide-preventing-socd-on-any-common-ground-pcb-by-using-7400-chips/

Only if the inputs of the chip have internal pull up resistors. You'd have to check the data sheet of the exact chip you bought.
    LIGamer77 wrote: »
    Im planning to build a fight stick using a wireless Ps3 sixaxis controller pcb linked to a toodles axisadapter and Id like to connect the axis adapter to an IMP and then connect that to a toodles MC Cthulhu. I just dont know if that can be done. Please let me know.

You won't be able to connect the two pcbs together because the six axis is not common ground nor does the axis adapter turn it it to common ground.
    The problem that i am playing always with gamepad and i don´t know how play with arcade stick

I'm gong to give you the benefit of the doubt and link you the first YouTube search result:
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • ktschyktschy killer bee Joined: Posts: 6
    Hi all, I have a few basic questions:

1.) What temperature should I keep the soldering iron when working with fightstick/controller PCBs?
    2.) How can I create my own quick disconnect wires? I've been using pre-made ones and I'd like to make my own so I can control the length.
    3.) How do I keep the functionality of the top panel in the Madcatz TE1 stick?
    4.) Where can I go to read up on how to clean up wiring? Or is this practice just acquired through experience, haha.

Thank you in advance! Up until now I've only been doing basic button/art swaps for a while with my sticks, but I want to get into different aspects of fightstick modding.
    edited May 25

I'm gong to give you the benefit of the doubt and link you the first YouTube search result

The dude has an established history of not knowing how to internet. Doubt does not provide him benefit.
    ktschy wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a few basic questions:

1.) What temperature should I keep the soldering iron when working with fightstick/controller PCBs?
    2.) How can I create my own quick disconnect wires? I've been using pre-made ones and I'd like to make my own so I can control the length.
    3.) How do I keep the functionality of the top panel in the Madcatz TE1 stick?
    4.) Where can I go to read up on how to clean up wiring? Or is this practice just acquired through experience, haha.

Thank you in advance! Up until now I've only been doing basic button/art swaps for a while with my sticks, but I want to get into different aspects of fightstick modding.

Literally every question you just posted I had wondered about in the past here. I got all of my answers here...
    USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

I'm sorry for coming off as a douche. I enjoy helping people out here--as many of you can see, but I'm detecting a recent upswing of questions these days put forth without executing proper searches first.

/rant

Ok.. I searched for you:
    (1a), (1b), (1c).
    (2)
    (3)...which version do you even own? PS3 or Xbox 360?
    (4)
    Post edited by jopamo on
    edited May 25
    Uhh sorry I didn't mean to disrespect you or anything by asking my questions here. And it wasn't my intention to post here in lieu of doing my own research either. I just thought this was an OK place to ask dumb questions.
    edited May 25
    You are forgiven. Just know that there's a difference between a dumb question and a lazy question. I lurked for years before letting out a peep here. Most of that time was spent digging through cob-webbed 101 threads.
    Lol all right, well thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
    edited May 25
    No worries, and sorry. We are here to help. I think unaigalder's previously posted wolf-cry of not knowing how to use a joystick really bunched my boxers.
  • ayechpayechp Joined: Posts: 7
    Hey there, I need some help; my fightstick has been dropping inputs, most notably my roundhouse, fierce and jab; they'll not register an input every 10 taps (in rapid succession) or so. It's all hooked up to a ufb, I was wondering; is it the wires? would I have to strip and twist 'em again?
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Idk but thx for heads up in for 1 @ $1.44 shipped. Will give feedback whenever it arrives this year. Will try on a Hayabusa or JLF.
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204