Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Comments

• Sir_Bumble_BeeSir_Bumble_Bee Joined: Posts: 83
    Not sure if this is a relevant question to ask in this thread, but is it okay to post an artist's fightstick artwork done for and payed for by you while giving them credit?
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,873
    I don't see why not, you bought it it's yours to show off.
  • Sir_Bumble_BeeSir_Bumble_Bee Joined: Posts: 83
    Okay, that makes sense, just making sure I was following the rules. Thanks
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,658
    sasquach wrote: »
    ribu wrote: »
    Is there a solid way to use a good Saturn style pad for the ps4? Been looking online, but I mostly find stuff from a few years ago and wanted to see if anything new has come up. Thx

So the best option is to get a Sega Saturn pad and then padhack it for PS4 via Brook PS3/PS4 pad. I know a few people who can do this probably.

Pad hack so it can use a converter or switch out the pcb in it? The latter is something I'd be interested in getting someone to do
    CFN-Unlimited_RiBu. MvCI-Hunter/Dante
    Ed_SFV Discord: https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

• sasquachsasquach Joined: Posts: 369
    sasquach wrote: »
    Is there a solid way to use a good Saturn style pad for the ps4? Been looking online, but I mostly find stuff from a few years ago and wanted to see if anything new has come up. Thx

So the best option is to get a Sega Saturn pad and then padhack it for PS4 via Brook PS3/PS4 pad. I know a few people who can do this probably.

Pad hack so it can use a converter or switch out the pcb in it? The latter is something I'd be interested in getting someone to do

Keep the original PCB in there, use a Brook PS4/PS4 PCB and solder the connections to the appropriate solder points. Remove the Saturn cable and solder USB cable for the PS4 PCB. I think @Gummo can do it if it is possible, so you can PM him here about it.
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does anyone know converters/PCBs that are compatible with PS4/steambox? My friend was asking for some help and after I tried 2 different converters I just thought I would have a shout out at tech talk if anyone hand any tech info about the steambox or what converters work with it? I have a PS1>PC converter and a PS3>PC converter and the steam box did not seem to like either one.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • noober2noober2 Pre 09 member Joined: Posts: 409
    not stick related, but whats a good source for wooden mechanical keyboard cases/Base?
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Click Clack Joined: Posts: 60
    noober2 wrote: »
    not stick related, but whats a good source for wooden mechanical keyboard cases/Base?

There is one or two companies that I know of that makes wooden keyboard cases, but only for the 60% keyboards (KBT Pure, KBC Poker, GH60). You can check by Mechanical Keyboards, Inc. and check by their "Cases & Frames" section for one of the manufacturer's lines of wood cases... or visit Datamancer and check out their offering as well.

It will be a bit pricey though.
  • SnoopDoggSnoopDogg Joined: Posts: 50
    edited August 2016
    Can I ask what would be better between a modded Venom arcade stick or an HRAP V Hayabusa (the updated version) ?
    Or is that against the rules? I'm just trying to figure out what I should get for my 1st stick that's within my budget.
  • noober2noober2 Pre 09 member Joined: Posts: 409
    JesseJames wrote: »
    noober2 wrote: »

There is one or two companies that I know of that makes wooden keyboard cases, but only for the 60% keyboards (KBT Pure, KBC Poker, GH60). You can check by Mechanical Keyboards, Inc. and check by their "Cases & Frames" section for one of the manufacturer's lines of wood cases... or visit Datamancer and check out their offering as well.

It will be a bit pricey though.

thanks mane
    SnoopDogg wrote: »
    Can I ask what would be better between a modded Venom arcade stick or an HRAP V Hayabusa (the updated version) ?
    Or is that against the rules? I'm just trying to figure out what I should get for my 1st stick that's within my budget.

HRAP V Hayabusa is better overall for sure.
  • SnoopDoggSnoopDogg Joined: Posts: 50
    Okay thanks !
    I don't have any modding experience anyway. Though I heard it was easy to set up and with no soldering necessary.

For under $200 and It seems like the HRAP V Hayabusa is the best bang for your buck if you want to roll with stock parts.
  • EvolderekEvolderek Joined: Posts: 112
    Hey guys,

I wanted to change the optical joystick in my Hori real arcade pro silent to a LS-62. is it as easy as just plugging in the harness with on of the connectors not plugged in or do I need to solder on a new harness?
    Evolderek wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I wanted to change the optical joystick in my Hori real arcade pro silent to a LS-62. is it as easy as just plugging in the harness with on of the connectors not plugged in or do I need to solder on a new harness?

Umm, good question. I think the harness does work (it's 6-pins rather than the typical 5-pin), but just make sure you don't put the VCC part of the harness into Ground...
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    J-ride wrote: »
    Does anyone know converters/PCBs that are compatible with PS4/steambox? My friend was asking for some help and after I tried 2 different converters I just thought I would have a shout out at tech talk if anyone hand any tech info about the steambox or what converters work with it? I have a PS1>PC converter and a PS3>PC converter and the steam box did not seem to like either one.

Do you mean the steam link? An xinput device should work, I.e. whatever your controller is to 360 converter (Brook converter is recommended). Also, I've found that running ds4 windows on my pc before starting the steam link still allows the ds4 to read as xinput- I'm guessing this would be the case with any other wrapper program line xoutput or x360ce as well.

As for ps4 function, you would need a different converter. Or you could swap the PCB in your controller for something with native ps4 and xinput modes.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,608
    edited August 2016
    What electronic components would I need if I wanted to just take some perfboard and make my own Imp-like board (i.e. something that'll let me switch between two PCBs' data lines without needing to drill a hole and mount a switch)? Wondering if it'd be any cheaper to just make my own rather than pay international shipping.
    What electronic components would I need if I wanted to just take some perfboard and make my own Imp-like board (i.e. something that'll let me switch between two PCBs' data lines without needing to drill a hole and mount a switch)? Wondering if it'd be any cheaper to just make my own rather than pay international shipping.

Do you have access to Arduino boards? I'm not a 100% sure how it works, but I believe you can do data line swapping if you code your Arduino board to do so if you can grab one. My friend actually does this too iirc. You can grab some off eBay or somewhere else, I would help further. But my Arduino skills are limited to LED animations... that I still need to polish to show off.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,814

Gummo made his own 4 way switch, it can be done. I just don't know the components.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,372
    Get a USB switch chip. There are hundreds on Mouser and Digikey. Look at the data sheet for the rest of the stuff you need to make it function properly.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    Get a USB switch chip. There are hundreds on Mouser and Digikey. Look at the data sheet for the rest of the stuff you need to make it function properly.

I took a look on mouser and found this. The datasheet has a truth table for the chip. By looking at that truth table, am I correct in assuming that I can wire OE to GND to enable output from the chip as long as its powered and then wire S and GND to an LS/DP/RS switch on a stick to switch between two boards?
    It's more than just the truth table. You need some sort of processor to hold those lines high or low as appropriately.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!

- Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    A physical switch would work as well, yes.

A physical switch would work as well, yes.

Okay cool. The end result of this is to get an SFxT Pro to work on 360+PS3/4 by dualmodding with an MKX pad, so I was thinking I can wire GND to the LS/DP/RS switch, MKX pad's Mode to LS and the USB switch chip's S to RS. So that would mean I'd have PS3 mode on LS, PS4 mode on DP and 360 mode on RS.

Thanks for all your help everyone!
    Make sure the chip is 5v tolerant, on the Kaimana Khameleon I didn't verify it on an early prototype and fried the chip. Ended up using a regulator to get it down to the right voltage for the chip.

Make sure the chip is 5v tolerant, on the Kaimana Khameleon I didn't verify it on an early prototype and fried the chip. Ended up using a regulator to get it down to the right voltage for the chip.

I think the max voltage is like 4.3 volts or something (min. 3v). I was just gonna use some resistors that I have handy. 2x 150 ohm resistors should be enough, right?
    Google Kirchoffs Voltage Law, go from there. That ends up being unregulated and susceptible to spikes, be forewarned.

• GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,523
    Keep an eye out on the chip package to make sure you are capable of soldering them. A lot of the usb switching chips are very tiny and not really meant to be hand soldered.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    edited August 2016
    Gummo wrote: »
    Keep an eye out on the chip package to make sure you are capable of soldering them. A lot of the usb switching chips are very tiny and not really meant to be hand soldered.

Yes, also a very good point. :)

And FWIW, that chip you are looking at.... isn't hand solderable except by Pros. I used one similar to that and the guy I worked with to do mass assemblies (works in the military grade hardware design field, IPC certified soldering tech) was able to do it with his $5K soldering rig but it cost me an arm and a leg and I swapped chips for the final run.

edited August 2016
    How about this one? Looks at least somewhat easier to work with at first glance
    You will want chips with legs to be able to hand solder to a pcb that has contact pads for that size. That package will still be difficult to hand solder still.
    What experience with surface mount soldering do you have?

How about this one? Looks at least somewhat easier to work with.
    You will want chips with legs to be able to hand solder to a pcb that has contact pads for that size. That package will still be difficult to hand solder still.

Zero. But I'm having trouble finding any other option, which is why I initially wanted to just replicate an Imp V1 which had through hole soldered components that I could probably just slap onto a perf board. On the other hand, learning how to work with SMD components now will probably benefit me later on because of the EXP.
  • DominicanPowerDominicanPower Shit Iz Real Joined: Posts: 1,069
    You know how the old TE/SE's USB cable comes into 2 parts? Can you buy the part that connects the stick to a usb port?

Zero. But I'm having trouble finding any other option, which is why I initially wanted to just replicate an Imp V1 which had through hole soldered components that I could probably just slap onto a perf board. On the other hand, learning how to work with SMD components now will probably benefit me later on because of the EXP.

You might have an easier time learning how to program a microcontroller and duplicating an imp-like board.

You might have an easier time learning how to program a microcontroller and duplicating an imp-like board.

So maybe an arduino like @sasquach suggested? I'll look into it a bit more; I did a quick google search for "arduino usb switch" and got some results involving switching all 4 USB lines so I opted to just make my own circuit board that swaps only between D+ and -. I'll do a bit more digging around on the arduino side of things, thanks
  • DeeQueDeeQue Can't Kill Kawaii Joined: Posts: 278
    Anybody know of any decent clear sticker paper?

It doesn't necessarily have to be sticker paper so long as it sticks to plexi/acrylic, is fully transparent, and takes color from an ink jet printer. A tall order I know.

I heard Avery was good, but that their clear sticker paper looks frosted when placed on clear surfaces.

So maybe an arduino like @sasquach suggested? I'll look into it a bit more; I did a quick google search for "arduino usb switch" and got some results involving switching all 4 USB lines so I opted to just make my own circuit board that swaps only between D+ and -. I'll do a bit more digging around on the arduino side of things, thanks

Using an Arduino is overkill, but a good start if you aren't used to programming microcontrollers and the such.
  • JarvJarv Frickin' Normie Joined: Posts: 1,920
    Hey all, the top control panel (with the controller port, LS/DP/RS and lock buttons, etc.) is cracked in several places on my TE2. Got a buddy who has 3D printed a similar panel for his Hori VLX and has offered to print one for my TE2. Does Mad Catz have any technical specs or dimensions on this panel? Been trying to search online and on Tech Talk for something, but haven't come up with much. Thank you!
    - it looked really annoying
    so I kept doing it
    /fighting games
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,873
    Remove it and measure it, if you're not able to I'm sure your friend can seeing how he can 3D print and most likely take measurement after making one for his VLX.
  • blankaexblankaex Joined: Posts: 133
    I want to print some artwork for a TES+, but the template offered by Madcatz says to use 11"x17" paper (ledger size). I'm only able to print on A3 paper, which is about a centimeter off on one axis. Do I need to adjust the template so that it prints the correct physical size? If so, by how much?
  • reverbreverb Joined: Posts: 4
    edited August 2016
    virgin budget modder, dropping sanwa parts + ufb into white q1

The front of the q1 has a 24mm start button with its own ground & signal, but the select/mode/turbo/home buttons are small rectangular plastic ones that are all hooked up together to the stock pcb along with 2 LED's for mode & turbo. How do i tell which is which in order to hook them up to the ufb correctly?

will post pics if needed