Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Comments

• fatpolomanjrfatpolomanjr Joined: Posts: 54 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does anyone ever use a matte coating or some kind of film on their plexi, to mitigate fingerprints and dirt/sweat from collecting? I constantly have to clean off the top after every 3 matches.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,084
    Does anyone ever use a matte coating or some kind of film on their plexi, to mitigate fingerprints and dirt/sweat from collecting? I constantly have to clean off the top after every 3 matches.

Nothing I can honestly recommend
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 915
    edited July 5
    It's all part of the charm. Carrying a small microfiber cloth in a back pocket works wonders.

You could matte vinyl wrap the plexi..they even have frosted translucent film. The art underneath (if you have) will look like shit though.
  • zero_requiemzero_requiem Joined: Posts: 14
    edited July 5
    https://imgur.com/SHMn0Rk

Going to be installing a jansens custom ez mod with brook pcb inside a madcatz te2+ ps4 sometime this week but have no clue what this soldered wire is. Does anyone know if I should just cut it off? Thanks in advance.
  • zero_requiemzero_requiem Joined: Posts: 14
    edited July 5
    https://imgur.com/SHMn0Rk

Going to be installing a jansens custom ez mod with brook pcb inside a madcatz te2+ ps4 sometime this week but have no clue what this soldered wire is. Does anyone know if I should just cut it off? Thanks in advance.

OK so I took off the cover and noticed that it is wired to my touchpad. Not sure how the touchpad will work if and when that wire is cut off. Just as long as I can press it I'm not worried bout the other features.

Just realized that plug pulls out of the stock te2 board lol... my bad guys.
  • BubbledotjpgBubbledotjpg Joined: Posts: 241
    Super dumb question but I'm super new to LED mods. Are the LED sanwas the same as the ones you put art in? Do they make specific buttons for just LEDs? The LED buttons I'm seeing on paradise look super similar to the translucent sanwas I have.
  • mhugh003mhugh003 Joined: Posts: 101
    Is dual modding by pad hacking still a thing? Or does everyone just use a UFB for PS4/XB1 support?

My brother in law wants a stick for his consoles, and I'm wondering if he can get a Hori RAP4 and have me add a corresponding PCB to make it work for both systems.

I used to just connect an X360 pad to Toodles PCB for 360/PS3, but I'm not sure of the route to take for PS4/XB1
    -Mikael
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Just a Bol of Sadguys Joined: Posts: 1,520
    mhugh003 wrote: »
    Is dual modding by pad hacking still a thing? Or does everyone just use a UFB for PS4/XB1 support?

My brother in law wants a stick for his consoles, and I'm wondering if he can get a Hori RAP4 and have me add a corresponding PCB to make it work for both systems.

I used to just connect an X360 pad to Toodles PCB for 360/PS3, but I'm not sure of the route to take for PS4/XB1

I personally use padhacks in dual mods because I don't want to worry about firmware updates on Brook boards.

However, you'll likely need to have diodes in a dual mod setup using the HRAP 4 Kai's PCB. In this case I'd just not mod it at all or use the Brook PCB to save myself the hassle.
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 511 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    mhugh003 wrote: »

You could try using an XB1+PS4 Hori Fighting Commander if you want to avoid any Firmware updates.
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204
  • DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 544
    Outside of a auction what would you say is the value of a madcatz sfxtekken VS stick?
    edited July 9
    DEZALB wrote: »
    Outside of a auction what would you say is the value of a madcatz sfxtekken VS stick?

I picked one up locally a few months back for PS3 in almost-mint condition with original box for about $200 Canadian (not including tax). So I'd estimate around there, give or take maybe $10
    Super dumb question but I'm super new to LED mods. Are the LED sanwas the same as the ones you put art in? Do they make specific buttons for just LEDs? The LED buttons I'm seeing on paradise look super similar to the translucent sanwas I have.

Not sure what you mean by LED sanwas. Sanwa makes translucent buttons that you can put artwork in, and people normally stick an LED under those. I think only Seimitsu and Crown make buttons that are LED-ready.
  • BoboGloryBoboGlory Joined: Posts: 543
    Does anyone have experience with installing the perfect 360 or the mas opticon stick to the MC Cthulhu? I install everything including the VCC terminal but I can't get any directions to come out. The closest thing I got was it got stuck on the up and left input.
    BoboGlory wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with installing the perfect 360 or the mas opticon stick to the MC Cthulhu? I install everything including the VCC terminal but I can't get any directions to come out. The closest thing I got was it got stuck on the up and left input.

Is the directional signal lines installed correctly ?
  • BoboGloryBoboGlory Joined: Posts: 543
    Yep it should be
    BoboGlory wrote: »
    Yep it should be

Key Word "SHOULD"
    Best to double check your work.
  • unaigalderunaigalder Joined: Posts: 77
    edited July 11
    If i want to put Il magnetic is it necesary an arcade stick of wood?
  • HayTuxHayTux Joined: Posts: 98
    edited July 11
    I was replacing the spring in my Hayabusa stick and the entire shaft fell out, along with a bunch of little pieces. I'm unsure how they all go back in. This is in a HRAP 4. Is there any video I could watch, or maybe some pictures of all the internals for the joystick so I can get it all back in? I can provide pictures if necessary.

EDIT: Figured it out.
  • EndRantEndRant Joined: Posts: 218
    hey guys, so I have an ls 40 and I wanted to change the spring to something on par to the 2lb jlf spring but since there is no such thing can I at least use the stiffer springs from other seimitsu sticks and put it in the ls 40? thanks in advance
  • EJMEJM Joined: Posts: 428
    Anyway to view photobucket pics now that they have turned off third party hosting? Pretty much all our modding tutorials on this site are dead since we all used photobucket.
    A collection of pictures of my mods and wiring: https://instagram.com/modsbysteve/
  • DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 544
    Is this true, i just looked back at posts that i used my photobucket for and they are still active
    edited July 14
    DEZALB wrote: »
    Is this true, i just looked back at posts that i used my photobucket for and they are still active

All of mine are gone and so are the pics in most of our tutorials.

Here are a couple tutorials I have bookmarked and all the pics are gone and replaced with the 3rd party usage banner.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/94875/rj-45-mc-cthulhu-imp-xbox-360-dual-mod-tutorial-diagram/p1

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/186889/dual-shock-4-padhack-thread-aka-you-should-padhack-the-hfc4-pad-instead/p1

Hori%20Fighting%20Commander%20Front.jpg

BTW photobucket wants $399 a year so you can embed pics. :o
    A collection of pictures of my mods and wiring: https://instagram.com/modsbysteve/
    edited July 15
    That photo ain't workin' @EJM
    Fuck Photobucket. Imgur is your friend (until they get sto0pid greedy too)
    Post edited by jopamo on
    I know the photo isn't working, that was the point. ;)
    Thought so. I was wondering why you'd post all that to then try and post a pic at the end. :smile:
  • madmalkavmadmalkav Joined: Posts: 54
    I'm considering making a new joystick for use mainly with PS4. I used to have three "function" buttons for Select, Start and PS. IS the Touchpad button needed in any fighting game or can I skip that?
    Touchpad is used to reset the training mode in SFV
    You might not need the whole touch pad per say, but plenty of people have a touch key button, that pretty much mimic clicking down on the touch pad.
    Ok, so one more button it is. Thanks for the info @jopamo and @Darksakul
  • StarFAmStarFAm Joined: Posts: 2
    I bought this fight stick today:
    http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/accessories/real-arcade-pro-fightstick-tekken-7-edition-for-xbox-one/142280

It doesn't work on my PS3 or PS4.

Does anyone know a converter to play this on the PS3 Mainly?
    If you can find an appropriate converter on THIS page then you're golden.

Else, it's easier to return that bay boy and get the black version that's PS3 & PS4 compatible
  • VorkosiganVorkosigan AWOOOGA Joined: Posts: 1,919
    What's the best way to mod a stock Madcatz SE PS3 stick to be compatible for PC/PS4?
    A few years ago (my mother) asked if I beat Justin Wong at Evo. The shame I felt in saying no made me seriously consider suicide right there on the spot. - Viscant
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,400
    Vorkosigan wrote: »
    What's the best way to mod a stock Madcatz SE PS3 stick to be compatible for PC/PS4?

Easiest: Brook PS3 to PS4 converter

Next easiest: Brook ps3/ps4/pc board, either the original one in a pre installed kit or new new one with ps4 audio and screw terminals.

Old school update proof method: pad hack a hori FC4 controller
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    I just remembered back in the day I lost my Eurostick spacer piece and did a dirty trick to fix it. If someone happens to have one at hand and can make a quick measurement of the part I will really appreciate it.
  • unaigalderunaigalder Joined: Posts: 77
    madmalkav wrote: »
    I just remembered back in the day I lost my Eurostick spacer piece and did a dirty trick to fix it. If someone happens to have one at hand and can make a quick measurement of the part I will really appreciate it.

Take care in this forum a lot of people hate IL parts i don`t know why
  • nicoga30000nicoga30000 Joined: Posts: 6
    With EVO just ending, I'm hoping to try and get in on a "sale/special" before they go.

Any suggestions for a fightstick that will play well with PC and PS4? Willing to spend up to $200.
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT METRO CITY NINJUTSU Joined: Posts: 737
    Need a wireless headset so I may use a mic while using an arcade stick.
    Between the Sony Gold and TurtleBeach Stealth 520, which would you recommend regardless of price?
    Disciplines: Bushin-Ryu-Ninpo, Street Fighting, Demonology, IGA Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    “There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 武神

RIN-PYOU-TOU-SHA-KAI-JIN-RETSU-ZAI-ZEN
    edited July 17
    Hori RAP 4, Razer Panthera, and Qanba Obsidian sticks are good PC/PS4 options at that price point. I'd go with the Qanba myself.
  • nicoga30000nicoga30000 Joined: Posts: 6
    Thanks - went with the Obsidian.
  • KuraioKuraio Joined: Posts: 5
    Are there any available blueprints/templates for arcade stick cases that are free to use? I was thinking of trying to make my own case out of acrylic or wood.
    Kuraio wrote: »
    Are there any available blueprints/templates for arcade stick cases that are free to use? I was thinking of trying to make my own case out of acrylic or wood.

There is if you are willing to look around online. Check out Slagcoin.com

Also the DIY route is not always the cheapest
  • canoshizcanoshiz u mad Joined: Posts: 569
    In this day and age, what are the best options to get a Dreamcast-compatible stick? It looks like PS360+s and MC Cthulhus are out of production now...
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,966
    canoshiz wrote: »
    In this day and age, what are the best options to get a Dreamcast-compatible stick? It looks like PS360+s and MC Cthulhus are out of production now...

Unless you can find a plug-in converter then your best bet is to find a DC pcb. The best one is found inside the Agetec arcade stick, then you can either mod the stick case or hack the pcb and install it inside whatever stick you use (or make your own project box adapter).
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Macho Madness Joined: Posts: 909
    canoshiz wrote: »

If you have a ps1/ps2 stick the total control plus ps2 to dreamcast adapter works perfectly.
    ABACABB.
    edited July 19
    ...or you could add to your collection and just get an Agetec stick and enjoy it as Dreamcast-only device.
    ferris-bueller-meme-10.jpg
  • KuraioKuraio Joined: Posts: 5
    Darksakul wrote: »

There is if you are willing to look around online. Check out Slagcoin.com

Also the DIY route is not always the cheapest

Thanks for the link!
    It's fine. I don't spend much on other stuff so I splurge on my hobbies (even if I'm not good at them). Thanks again!

• VorkosiganVorkosigan AWOOOGA Joined: Posts: 1,919
    edited July 19
    Just bought and installed a JLFTP8YT Sanwa joystick, and down input doesn't seem to be working.

Am I missing anything in terms of installation or w/e, or is the stick just broken?

EDIT: disregard, I realigned the stick and tried again and it worked just fine. Protip: make sure shit is alinged correctly
    A few years ago (my mother) asked if I beat Justin Wong at Evo. The shame I felt in saying no made me seriously consider suicide right there on the spot. - Viscant
    Do you hear/feel the microswitch clicking when you hit down? If you do and it's not working, either the down microswitch is dead or the down signal isn't properly wired to the PCB. Posting pics of your setup will help
  • CyrusCyrus Join date March 2001 Joined: Posts: 40
    Looking for recommendations on a stick replacement which has the most “old school American Joysticks feel.”

I’m an old school player from the 90s and my preference has always been American Joysticks. I prefer American Joysticks because the joystick auto-neutrals and also the spring is very stiff. I would always use Happ Controls Perfect 360 joysticks but it’s my understanding they don’t make these anymore and they also don’t fit in most Japanese sticks nowadays.

Since American Joysticks are pretty hard to find nowadays, I figured the next best thing is to buy a Japanese joystick and put in a stick which has the “closest feel” to an American Stick.

I want to say the stick I’m looking for is the Seimitsu LS-62-01 Joystick, in which this particular stick has a strong spring and it’s decent at neutraling after motions. It also fits in most sticks nowadays.

Does anyone know of another stick which has what I'm looking for?

I’ve been out of the game for a while so any feedback would be great. Thanks.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations on a stick replacement which has the most “old school American Joysticks feel.”

I’m an old school player from the 90s and my preference has always been American Joysticks. I prefer American Joysticks because the joystick auto-neutrals and also the spring is very stiff. I would always use Happ Controls Perfect 360 joysticks but it’s my understanding they don’t make these anymore and they also don’t fit in most Japanese sticks nowadays.

Since American Joysticks are pretty hard to find nowadays, I figured the next best thing is to buy a Japanese joystick and put in a stick which has the “closest feel” to an American Stick.

I want to say the stick I’m looking for is the Seimitsu LS-62-01 Joystick, in which this particular stick has a strong spring and it’s decent at neutraling after motions. It also fits in most sticks nowadays.

LS-60/62 is not the way to go. Yea it has the Stiffer spring, but it lacks the beefyness of the old Happ you remember from the arcades.

Best Japanese stick that fits the bill would be the old Sanwa JLW, it was designed as competitor/alternative to old Happ.
    The spring don't feel as tight because of the leverage, but the actual spring quite strong as it holds up Massive 45mm Ball tops that would make most Japanese joysticks go loose.

You will not get the weird deflection the old Happ competition joystick suffers when you pull the lever, and let go and watch the joystick handle bounce.

Sadly the Sanwa JLW been discontinued for quite some time.
    Closest two joysticks to the JLW is the LS-40 and the J-stick with the J-stick being a clone of the old JLW.
    Like the old JLW, the J-stick has two variations, one that comes with a Ball top, and one that comes with a Bat top.

The Bat top version of the JLW/J-stick has the correct sized threads for the Battop and larger 45mm balltops and don't need a bat top adapter. The downside is the normal size balltops do not fit.
    The Ball top version fits normal ball tops, and needs an adapter for Bat tops and 45mm ball tops.

LS-40 can install in any Stick the JLF can, the JLW can for the most part, but the alignment might be off for certain sticks or be a tight fit.
  • SnubnozeSnubnoze Joined: Posts: 7
    edited July 20
    Cyrus wrote: »

I'm in a similar situation and so far I've been happy with a Sanwa JLF modded with 2lb spring and 1mm oversized activator with a battop. If you would like to go that route, I suggest getting a few different springs and actuators to mix and match and see what feels the best.

I haven't tried a Korean stick yet but plan to for my next stick.