Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Comments

• BubbledotjpgBubbledotjpg Joined: Posts: 257
    edited September 2016
    This is for a player 2 stick so was mostly looking at the cheapest option since I wouldn't be the one using it lol

Thanks though Ayaya
  • blankaexblankaex Joined: Posts: 133
    BolSadguy wrote: »
    Legacy consoles
    Darksakul wrote: »
    What actually quite common in Arcade sticks, as BolSadguy said it's for Legacy consoles. PCBs like the PS360+ or the MC Cthulhu supports alot of Retro consoles, and they can support them all though a single connector.

Older consoles, those who don't use USB often as as many as 8 Wires in it's cables (with the exception of the Neo Geo and some Super Guns which has 15 wires/pins).
    The RJ45 is a common, easy to find connector that have enough pins to support all 8 of those wires. RJ45 is relatively cheap and with the right tools and know how easy to install a RJ45 Jack to a existing PS2 or SNES controller cable. Some people use a DIN-8 or DB-9 Connectors instead of RJ45.

Got it, thanks for confirming. So if I wanted to build a stick with a removable cable for current-gen consoles, it would make the most sense to just stick with a USB passthrough.
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,608
    blankaex wrote: »
    Legacy consoles
    What actually quite common in Arcade sticks, as BolSadguy said it's for Legacy consoles. PCBs like the PS360+ or the MC Cthulhu supports alot of Retro consoles, and they can support them all though a single connector.

Older consoles, those who don't use USB often as as many as 8 Wires in it's cables (with the exception of the Neo Geo and some Super Guns which has 15 wires/pins).
    The RJ45 is a common, easy to find connector that have enough pins to support all 8 of those wires. RJ45 is relatively cheap and with the right tools and know how easy to install a RJ45 Jack to a existing PS2 or SNES controller cable. Some people use a DIN-8 or DB-9 Connectors instead of RJ45.

Got it, thanks for confirming. So if I wanted to build a stick with a removable cable for current-gen consoles, it would make the most sense to just stick with a USB passthrough.

You could still use RJ45 as well, just crimp an RJ45 connector on one end of your USB cable. It doesn't really matter (though I've heard the RJ45 method is more sturdy)
    Legacy consoles

You could still use RJ45 as well, just crimp an RJ45 connector on one end of your USB cable. It doesn't really matter (though I've heard the RJ45 method is more sturdy)

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. It has the little plastic tab and everything.
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,523
    This is for a player 2 stick so was mostly looking at the cheapest option since I wouldn't be the one using it lol

Thanks though Ayaya

Cheapest would be a converter.
    Cheap would be padhacking a 360 pcb, but requires work
    Less cheap, but not as much work as a padhack is a ps360+ or brook ufb.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Darksakul for mod 2018 Joined: Posts: 939
    Does anyone know what the screw size is for the top panel of a HRAP 2? I'm in the process of cleaning mine up and wanted to replace the screws for the top panel.
    End of one nightmare, prelude to the another.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,821
    Does anyone know what the screw size is for the top panel of a HRAP 2? I'm in the process of cleaning mine up and wanted to replace the screws for the top panel.

I don't know the exact size but they are carriage bolts.
    you can't unbolt the top panel from the top.

You have to pull to bottom panel off to get to the nuts holding the bolts in place.

Art Hobbies Top Loaders for Hrap sticks are really handy.
    It is a complete replacement of the bolts and nuts for the older hrap, and allows for top panel removal without touching the bottom panel.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    Does anyone know what kind of screws the Q4 uses for the PCB and bottom panel? I put mine in a plastic bag and kept it on my desk but the bag disappeared. I think my parents raided my room and mistook it for garbage.
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    Whatever kind of screw it uses, it sure isn't available from normal hardware stores :( I tried asking at Home Depot and they don't have screws of that size. (I have a Q4).

I think Vicko or one of the other builders will know. Good luck.
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,830
    i would just use anything that fits or some zipties and anchors lol
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    oh i didn't see the bottom panel part

again, i would just use whatever fits :/
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    Found 4 screws that just happened to fit. I'm triggered as hell because of my OCD and not having another set of 4 to screw into the other holes, but it gets the job done I guess lol. Thanks for your help Falkentyne and Vicko
  • jchenjchen Joined: Posts: 178
    If i like to ride the gate, is a square or octo gate better? More specfically I might buy the Kowal hayabusa octo gate 2016 ver. Thanks
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    jchen wrote: »
    If i like to ride the gate, is a square or octo gate better? More specfically I might buy the Kowal hayabusa octo gate 2016 ver. Thanks

It's a matter of preference, try it and see if you like it. Gate riders do tend to like octagons.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    Why is it so common for people to use Hori Fighting Commander PCBs to add PS4 compatibility to controllers? Is there any reason they're preferred over Brook PCBs and the like?
  • sasquachsasquach Joined: Posts: 369
    Why is it so common for people to use Hori Fighting Commander PCBs to add PS4 compatibility to controllers? Is there any reason they're preferred over Brook PCBs and the like?

Only reason to use it over Brook is to avoid the 8-minute timeout that happens after every PS4 update. Other than that there is no reason to use it.
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455

Using the hori removes any lingering concern that the device will be locked out (reverting back to the timeout) by a firmware update. Fortunately, Brook has been very fast in addressing these, but one could happen at an inconvenient time, and we don't know if it's possible that Sony can eventually block these more effectively. Also, the fc4 is cheap and easy to pad hack if you already have experience doing that.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    edited September 2016
    My friend's Q4 is dual modded with a PDP MKX PS4 pad and a DPDT switch. Apparently after 5 -10 minutes of play, his jab button freezes until he restarts his PS4. All other buttons are working, according to him. What could the problem be?
    sasquach wrote: »

Only reason to use it over Brook is to avoid the 8-minute timeout that happens after every PS4 update. Other than that there is no reason to use it.

The updates have historically happened at the beginning of the week, and as many have pointed out, have been quick to respond, as in less than 24 hours. It's not hard to load up your ps4 and say "Oh, there's an update. I'd better go get my brook updated" and then do so. The last firmware update didn't even require anything from Brook, as this latest update only added features; it didn't fix anything with the timeout. So, get an FC4 if you're scared or don't like additional features, or get a Brook if you want Xinput, Touchpad support, etc.

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • douglavrasdouglavras Blue_Note Joined: Posts: 54
    I have a common ground PCB that doesn't have a VCC out pin and I want to connect another board to it (actually it's a SOCD cleaner). Is it possible? Maybe solder it to the USB cable pins on the main pcb.
    Wherever the red wire is connected on your main PCB, solder to that pin. You can even solder to the underside if you want.
  • thatfoocrispythatfoocrispy Joined: Posts: 22
    is it safe to use alcohol to clean adhesive residue off of (colored) acrylic?
  • BasicsBasics Yep. It's feel. Joined: Posts: 214
    I'm looking to build an arcade cabinet for my office.

We just moved in and are in the process of decorating - one of our engineers and I brought up the idea, and management agreed to sponsor it if we could do it for less than $1,000. Right now the basic idea is: raspberry Pi (retro Pi) running emulators (MAME and DC is what we're thinking).

I've built a stick before, and I know a little bit about how they work - but I'd like to solicit the advice of people who've taken on a project like this before. Some key questions:

Are we better off building a cab from scratch, or acquiring an old one from a local arcade and retrofitting it?

Are there any guides available that detail how this can be done? (Ideally FGC specific ones as I want to try to do this in a way that absolutely minimizes the input latency to make FGs viable.)

Thanks for any input on this - we are currently in the research stage, but will likely get started mid-October and will document our progress for posterity.
    "You couldn't shit talk if I defecated in your mouth and asked you to read this post out loud." - BigGreek
    is it safe to use alcohol to clean adhesive residue off of (colored) acrylic?

No, use goo gone

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    Depending on the Acrylic formulation and coating the Alcohol can permanently fog up and discolor the Acrylic, also what ever you are wiping or scrubbing with will scratch.
    Goo Gone will soften that adhesive without having the scrub at it (as hard).
  • CoffeejuiceCoffeejuice Joined: Posts: 401
    @Basics
    Oh wow, what an exciting project. you are so lucky to get it subsidized by your company. The time/labor associated with restoring an old cabinet can become overwhelming very quickly. you might be better off building one from scratch but from a DIY bartop cabinet kit. you can find a couple sellers online that use CNC routers to cut out the panels for some solid pretty solid builds.

In mexico alot of old cabs get retrofitted with 1st gen xbox to run mame/n64 emulators as well as allowing backup xbox 1st gen games, some notable standouts being SF anniversary edition and MVC2, as far as FGs go. this would probably be your cheapest route to go for the pcb. the rasberry pi gets alot of support these days but it definitely wouldn't be able to run a DC emulator. this route would could also be time consuming with all of the configuration required.

Pandora's box 4 is another possible option for the main board. those come preconfigured with a UI and a ton of FGs including the KOF series up to 2004 and 3rd strike. they're easy enough to find on ebay with installation videos available on youtube
  • ProstatePuncherProstatePuncher Joined: Posts: 2
    Sup, people.

I'm looking to get a plexi replacement for the top of my Round 2 TE, but the only tailor-made option I can find is Tek Innovations and it'd come up to £62 to get it done and shipped from the U.S, which is pretty steep for me.

Is there anywhere in the U.K or Europe that this could be done? I guess I could ask a plexi shop to make me one, but I don't trust them to get it perfect. Would rather someone FGC do it.

Regards.
    Sup, people.

I'm looking to get a plexi replacement for the top of my Round 2 TE, but the only tailor-made option I can find is Tek Innovations and it'd come up to £62 to get it done and shipped from the U.S, which is pretty steep for me.

Is there anywhere in the U.K or Europe that this could be done? I guess I could ask a plexi shop to make me one, but I don't trust them to get it perfect. Would rather someone FGC do it.

Regards.

Tek Innovations is one of the cheaper options I seen on the net. Most custom fabrication houses will charge 4 times as much not including R&D fees.
  • BiggzBiggz Joined: Posts: 44
    Sup, people.
    Is there anywhere in the U.K or Europe that this could be done?

Would any of these do?

http://arcadeforge.net/Arcade-Stick-Faceplates:::28.html

• ProstatePuncherProstatePuncher Joined: Posts: 2
    Biggz wrote: »
    Sup, people.
    Is there anywhere in the U.K or Europe that this could be done?

Would any of these do?

http://arcadeforge.net/Arcade-Stick-Faceplates:::28.html

Hmm, those aren't full face replacement plexi's. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Should have said so in the first place.

Guess I'll just have to consider getting sniped by customs.
  • radiumcabinetradiumcabinet Joined: Posts: 5
    What do people use for grip other than rubber feet? Local retailers don't look promising and it's hard to judge online products. Grip tape looks like the easiest product to use but it also looks like it may be harsh and capable of scratching tables. Then you have niche products like racket grips, carpet grips, etc.
    Shelf liner

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • radiumcabinetradiumcabinet Joined: Posts: 5
    Nice, thanks Vicko. Shelf liner is one of those common things that I was only vaguely aware exists.
  • HakuHaku Joined: Posts: 32
    It looks like Gamerfinger is done making buttons. But I love their mechanical buttons. Are there any alternatives? If not then what would you recommend for someone who values a solid feel and low sound when pressing the button?
    OBS-MX
  • HakuHaku Joined: Posts: 32
    OBS-MX

Thanks fam. Just what I needed.
  • TizTozBriBruTizTozBriBru Joined: Posts: 253
    Wanted to check before going out and spending money, looking to replace the balltop on a Hayabusa with a bat top, i imagine the Hayabusa uses the same size balltop as every other major joystick? Thanks guys!
  • sasquachsasquach Joined: Posts: 369
    Wanted to check before going out and spending money, looking to replace the balltop on a Hayabusa with a bat top, i imagine the Hayabusa uses the same size balltop as every other major joystick? Thanks guys!

It is compatible with standard Seimitsu and Sanwa balltops and battops, along with some of the custom ones out there, but you will need an adapter for it to accept battops for the most part.
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
    sasquach wrote: »

you will need an adapter for it to accept battops for the most part.

The exception to this is the clear sanwa bat top which, according to akishop, has the adapter incorporated into the mold already.
  • TizTozBriBruTizTozBriBru Joined: Posts: 253
    One more dummy question for y'all,

will a Hori Hayabusa fit in a Mayflash V1 without any extra modding, or will mount plates/drilling be necessary?

Thanks in advance.