Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

1128129130131132134»

Comments

• jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 988
    edited August 4
    1. Disassemble joystick and lube the pivot and housing. Shin Etsu G40M or Dow Corning Molykote 44 Medium both work very well here (don't use chapstick or lip gloss!)
    2. Remove the plunger from the cylinder housing and remove all dust and grime. (DO NOT listen to some Youtubers and oil/lube the buttons!)
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,548
    Same criteria for keeping any stick in good shape, really. Don't hulk smash when you get salty, don't poor beer on it if you get to drunk, don't be like this guy and plan to drop it from high places, etc.
  • CammCamm Joined: Posts: 3
    edited August 4
    Was thinking of picking up a Brooks Universal Fighting Board for my Panthera because of a whole bunch of my back collection being on X360.

https://arcadeshock.com/products/ez-mod-for-razer-panthera-w-brook-universal-fighting-board-kit-w-soldered-headers

I'm fine with installing it, but I'm trying to figure out what won't work if I do.

Does the touchpad still work? PS4\PS3 switch? Lockout switch? etc.

Being a shameless tech whore, I wouldn't mind the 'you completely f****** can't tell but its slightly better' input lag' either, especially over an adaptor.

Any help appreciated!

Camm wrote: »
    Was thinking of picking up a Brooks Universal Fighting Board for my Panthera because of a whole bunch of my back collection being on X360.

https://arcadeshock.com/products/ez-mod-for-razer-panthera-w-brook-universal-fighting-board-kit-w-soldered-headers

I'm fine with installing it, but I'm trying to figure out what won't work if I do.

Does the touchpad still workTouchpad button will work, full touch control will not? PS4\PS3 switch?You won't need it since the board auto detects Lockout switch? Should still work, but even if it doesn't it's not difficult to get it working again.etc.

Being a shameless tech whore, I wouldn't mind the 'you completely f****** can't tell but its slightly better' input lag' either, especially over an adaptor.

Any help appreciated!

Answers in bold
  • CammCamm Joined: Posts: 3
    BolSadguy wrote: »
    Answers in bold

Thank you BolSadGuy.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,406
    PAULINK wrote: »
    What are some ways to keep an agetec dreamcast stick in good shape? Recently got a hold of two, one in great condition and the other where the buttons are sticking to the sides of the plunger.

Ideally i'd switch out the buttons and stick but I've researched and it's out of my skillset (and tools) so I just want to find a way to make due with what I have right now.

Taking apart the buttons, temporarily removing the switches.
    then cleaning them in warm soapy water, rinse and dry well before reassembly.

"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • trillmahertrillmaher Joined: Posts: 50
    I picked up a Mad Catz SE for Xbox 360, but I am installing a Brook ps3/ps4 board. Is there any way to connect the Xbox button so it works as the Playstation home button?
    Find the points on the turbo panel PCB labeled XGUILD and GND. Solder a wire to XGUILD and connect to the PS signal on the Brook. GND goes to GND.
  • .Guy..Guy. STUPID SEXY ROCKET RACCOON! Joined: Posts: 1,999
    edited August 5
    Nevermind, all good.
    Post edited by .Guy. on
    Lieutenant Colonel of the M.O.D.O.K. AVENGERS
    MadTitan brand toothpaste, for the god-like toothy smile. Get it now!
    (Not responsible for the loss of YOUR SOUL)
    UMvC3: Joe/RR/Assmaster, Joe/FrankBest/RR
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • trillmahertrillmaher Joined: Posts: 50
    Find the points on the turbo panel PCB labeled XGUILD and GND. Solder a wire to XGUILD and connect to the PS signal on the Brook. GND goes to GND.

Thanks Dude! It works perfectly :smiley:
  • The_ThirdThe_Third Poverty Gamer Joined: Posts: 1,009
    edited August 5
    How big of a hole do I need to make for this USB/audio passthrough?

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Mount-Cable-Extention-Motorcycle/dp/B00S6IO0NG/

Nvm, i dug in the Q&A area and said 33mm hole.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,406
    The_Third wrote: »
    How big of a hole do I need to make for this USB/audio passthrough?

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Mount-Cable-Extention-Motorcycle/dp/B00S6IO0NG/

Nvm, i dug in the Q&A area and said 33mm hole.

Always measure twice, and be vary of Amazon help.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    edited August 5
    Actually, I think I'm good now. I only have one stupid question though; how multiple PCBs are added to sticks that only fit one. Most are custom cases I'm assuming, but I see plenty that are not yet have two PCBs implanted with only one set of notches. I've even seen people place PCBs in that aren't secure...that seems scary.
    .Guy. wrote: »
    Actually, I think I'm good now. I only have one stupid question though; how multiple PCBs are added to sticks that only fit one. Most are custom cases I'm assuming, but I see plenty that are not yet have two PCBs implanted with only one set of notches. I've even seen people place PCBs in that aren't secure...that seems scary.

PCB feet and zipties

PCB feet and zipties

Thanks, should be my stupid question quota for the month. Much appreciated.

PCB feet and zipties

Thanks, should be my stupid question quota for the month. Much appreciated.

Hot glue works too if you're ultra lazy. Significantly more committal than zip ties though.
    edited August 6
    The adhesive feet on FA look nice, I'd rather not glue it down to keep things neat and in case I need the pcb later.
  • Mr OsoMr Oso TDG Oso Joined: Posts: 55
    Anyone know where I can buy these (preferably in the U.S)? https://marvelouscustoms.com/collections/arcade-stick-parts/products/sanwa-obsf-24mm-pushbutton-pink
    I know seimitsu makes them in this color pink 24mm but sanwa only does the color in 30mm =( .
  • McCooleyMacMcCooleyMac Joined: Posts: 7
    In relation to the Brook PS4+Audio:

Has anyone recently purchased this board? What is the quality and what type of USB connections does it use on the board itself? Also, is it possible to solder a different power connection on the board itself?
  • Atb_555Atb_555 www.neoempire.com Joined: Posts: 1,538
    Hey guys got a simple question, does there exist a stick which has more tension than a sanwa? If so is it easily mountable inside a venom ps4 case?

Venom ps4 for reference: https://venomuk.com/get/arcade-stick/

Thanks
    Nose picking is one of life's greatest treasures...
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,418
    Atb_555 wrote: »
    Hey guys got a simple question, does there exist a stick which has more tension than a sanwa? If so is it easily mountable inside a venom ps4 case?

Thanks

Yes, Seimitsu makes several. Ls-32, 38, 40, and 56 all have more tension. You can also get a stronger spring to add tension to your sanwa.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • CyanPlazaCyanPlaza Joined: Posts: 2
    I picked up a Brook PS4+ board, and the only time it recognizes inputs is when I press two or more buttons at the same time, same with directions (I had to go diagonally). What's causing this?
    edited August 7
    Have you tried updating the board's firmware? If not, do that and test again. If the issue persists (or the board is up to date), double check all of your connections (including grounds).
  • CyanPlazaCyanPlaza Joined: Posts: 2
    I updated the firmware and the joystick works after readjusting. The buttons are going to be a nightmare but I should be able to work it out. Thank you for the help!
  • Atb_555Atb_555 www.neoempire.com Joined: Posts: 1,538
    edited August 7
    Atb_555 wrote: »

Thanks

Yes, Seimitsu makes several. Ls-32, 38, 40, and 56 all have more tension. You can also get a stronger spring to add tension to your sanwa.

Awesome thanks.

I've looked around the UK sites and Arcadeshock for the Sanwa spring but couldn't find anyone selling it. Would you happen to know who is selling them?

Thanks

EDIT: Managed to find a UK site
    Post edited by Atb_555 on
    Nose picking is one of life's greatest treasures...
    edited August 7
    In relation to the Brook PS4+Audio:

Has anyone recently purchased this board? What is the quality and what type of USB connections does it use on the board itself? Also, is it possible to solder a different power connection on the board itself?

I haven't purchased one myself, but I did install one for a buddy. You power the board via USB either via the included adapter harness with the 4-pin JST PH connector (J1-1), or a direct USB connection via Micro-B USB (J1).

JST PH has a 2.00mm pin pitch. If you can desolder the existing header, then replace it with an identical pitch header. JST PH is rather ubiquitous for arcade stick connectors of this pitch so I don't know why you'd want to change it for another (less common) one. If you want to solder and don't want to desolder the header, just solder your G, D+, D-, & V connections at that site, on the underside of the board.

Check out the product page for more details.

Here's a Board connection diagram:
    zeroplus-brook-fighting%20board%20audio-connecting-2017xxxxHowToConnectTheKeys_En.jpg
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • McCooleyMacMcCooleyMac Joined: Posts: 7
    edited August 8
    Thank you for your insight
  • zrider99zrzrider99zr Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey guys! I'm a smash player who got into making fightsticks for the GCC after the SmashBox was announced. I initially made one with a case based off of GameCubit's Ikea arcade stick design. This semester is the first semester of my school's maker lab. I'll have access to all of the cool stuff (Laser cutter, 3d printer, cnc machine, full woodworking shop). I want to build a simple yet professional box with just laser cut acrylic and 3D printing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Or even open-source designs/sketches? That would help me out a lot. Thanks!
  • WHITE_4ND_N3RDYWHITE_4ND_N3RDY Joined: Posts: 104
    I'm looking to dual mod a brooks ufb to a mc chuthulu with a imp v2.1 board and need some help with the schmatics. I wanted a dedicated port for the ufb and dedicated port (rj45) for the chuthulu pcb. I already have a rj45 Jack installed on the imp v2.1 board and all lines solders over from the imp to chuthulu but I can't get it to register when I plug in my rj45 to usb cord?

https://imgur.com/gallery/oraVI
    WHITE 4ND N3RDY: Acidmods admin, Controllermax staff member. Cement Masons Local 555, representing the triple nickel.
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 461
    edited August 10
    I Dont think you need the imp if youre only going to use rj45 for the cthulhu, and each pcb has its own port on the case? Couldnt you just share vcc, ground and input signals between the pcbs?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,418
    This is correct. Just make sure you never plug both in at the same time.
  • ayechpayechp Joined: Posts: 12
    Is there a way to use a usb fightstick on a dreamcast? be it modding or the use of adapters?
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 461
    Ps360+ or MC Cthulhu work if youre willing to mod your stick. Not sure if there's any adapters though.
  • Boss_SavageBoss_Savage Joined: Posts: 45
    I'd just like to double check something.

Let's say I bought a 30 connection 22 AWG Daisy chain ground wire, and I wanted to split that wire into a few daisy chain wires. For example let's say a 3, 4, and 16 connection daisy chain wire.

How do I go about securing the cut ends? Can I just use electrical tape to cover the unused wire? Is that safe enough? Thanks ahead of time for letting me know.
    I'd just like to double check something.

Let's say I bought a 30 connection 22 AWG Daisy chain ground wire, and I wanted to split that wire into a few daisy chain wires. For example let's say a 3, 4, and 16 connection daisy chain wire.

How do I go about securing the cut ends? Can I just use electrical tape to cover the unused wire? Is that safe enough? Thanks ahead of time for letting me know.

Yes, tape will be fine.
  • PleasePlease Joined: Posts: 4
    edited August 12
    Hi all, I've never done any mods to any of my sticks, but am planning to replace the buttons on my HRAP's with Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons. I have two questions related to this:

1) I have one HRAP 2 and two HRAP 3's. On all three, I notice that the main eight buttons are "loose". I can twist them around with my fingers with hardly any effort at all. I'm not just talking about the plunger, but the entire rim of the button as well. It's as if the buttons are slightly too small for the holes in the plate. Ideally, I'd rather have buttons that are fixed in place. Should I buy snap-ins or screw-ins Sanwas/Seimitsus? From pictures online I can tell the stock Hori buttons are snap-ins. Is this typical behaviour of all snap-ins or just because the Hori buttons are crap?

2) I'd like to maintain the color scheme on my HRAP 2. Does anyone know whether "Vermillion" or "Red" Sanwas will match the balltop that came with the stick? I do not have a calibrated monitor, and the pictures I see online don't make my any wiser.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    edited August 12
    Please wrote: »
    1) I have one HRAP 2 and two HRAP 3's. On all three, I notice that the main eight buttons are "loose". I can twist them around with my fingers with hardly any effort at all. I'm not just talking about the plunger, but the entire rim of the button as well. It's as if the buttons are slightly too small for the holes in the plate. Ideally, I'd rather have buttons that are fixed in place. Should I buy snap-ins or screw-ins Sanwas/Seimitsus? From pictures online I can tell the stock Hori buttons are snap-ins. Is this typical behaviour of all snap-ins or just because the Hori buttons are crap?
    The buttons on the HRAP 2 and 3 models that you own are from Hori. The holes are 30mm so they can fit 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu. Snap-ins would work well if you don't intend on swapping them out. Those Hori "wannabe Sanwa" buttons suck, and suck more over time--hence why the rim tabs no longer catch on the control panel and swivel.
    2) I'd like to maintain the color scheme on my HRAP 2. Does anyone know whether "Vermillion" or "Red" Sanwas will match the balltop that came with the stick? I do not have a calibrated monitor, and the pictures I see online don't make my any wiser.
    The color of those buttons and balltop on the HRAP 2 (&3's that you have) is Vermillion. Proof

edited August 12
    So I've decided to turn my Mad Catz TE round 2 and VS sticks back to their original looks. I remember removing the double sided tape from under the art panel and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have a ton of this stuff at home:
    scotch-136-double-sided-tape-clear-pic1.jpg

Question #1: Has anyone had experience (good or bad) using Scotch double-sided tape for re-adhering art panels to metal control panels ?

Question #2: Has anyone [recently] used a thermal laminator to laminate art prints for installation onto sticks? (I'm trying to avoid stepping caused with acrylic overlays.)

• TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 12
    made an rj-45 cable to connect a ps360+ stick to a dreamcast, immediately got BSOD error and random disconnects. is this a known thing? I made it using a dreamcast extension cord cable, going to try a 3rd party DC controller cable and see if it helps any.
  • PleasePlease Joined: Posts: 4
    jopamo wrote: »
    The buttons on the HRAP 2 and 3 models that you own are from Hori. The holes are 30mm so they can fit 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu. Snap-ins would work well if you don't intend on swapping them out. Those Hori "wannabe Sanwa" buttons suck, and suck more over time--hence why the rim tabs no longer catch on the control panel and swivel.
    Thanks! I might go for screw-ins depending on what price I can find them online. I did some research some time ago, and if I remember correctly, the HRAP 3 does not have a universal mounting plate; therefor it should have sufficient room for all 8 buttons to be screw-ins. I read somewhere that the HRAP 2 does have a universal mounting plate, which sticks out (no pun intended) more to the sides, so the rim of the button closest to the stick might not have enough room to go in. I'm not sure what people do in such a case: buy 7 screw-ins and 1 snap-in, or somehow manage to squeeze in the rim of the closest button anyway?

And you're so right about those Hori buttons, by the way. I realized this when I got my TE and experienced how much smoother the Sanwa buttons are. That actually triggered me wanting to replace the buttons on all my HRAP's. The Hori buttons have a noticable "bump" in the travel, which isn't nearly as pleasant.
    jopamo wrote: »
    The color of those buttons and balltop on the HRAP 2 (&3's that you have) is Vermillion. Proof
    Awesome, thanks. Because the HRAP 2 has those turbo buttons in the matching color, I'd prefer to keep that one looking as it does, except change all buttons to Sanwas. For my HRAP 3's, I'll probably go for different colors, as the turbo panel doesn't stand out in that way.

Does anyone have any experience with installing one of Jasen's Pro Cable Kits onto a regular hitbox? From the looks of it I may have to drill a small hole in order to affix it to the hitbox. Is it as simple as it sounds, or am I better off finding an easier way?
  • RoyalFlushTZRoyalFlushTZ *Not a Ryu cosplayer! Joined: Posts: 1,449
    I'm trying to dualmod a Mad Catz PS4 TE2+ with an MC Cthulhu. I noticed there are diodes on all signal inputs on the Mad Catz TE2+ PCB. Do I have to desolder all of them so they inputs on the MC Cthulhu will be read properly without compromising the PS4 PCB?
    Thor/M.O.D.O.K/Viewtiful Joe
    Long live the Mighty THODOK! I do stick mods, too!
    youtube.com/RoyalFlush for TvC:UAS and T5DR vids
  • FearTheFuhajinFearTheFuhajin Trying to git gud Joined: Posts: 212
    Thinking about picking up an old HRAP3 and modding it with a Brooks Breakout Board, Silent Sanwa, and new art. I have some concerns though. How hard is it to get access to that panel on the upper left? I'd like to make that panel my spot for my Options, Share, Home, and Touchpad. Is that possible and will it require soldering?
    Playstation Network: TaiteFGC
    Steam ID: TaiteFGC

UMVC3 Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye (RIP MAHVEL)
    SFV Karin
    GGXrd Faust

I wish I could change my username...
    Check out this guide created by myself and the boys over at the Sakura thread (RIP USF4): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eeIc5GM3waM3fYhz2UefmD9gznynb56yeMFD16MYLhQ/pub
  • Flying PhoenixFlying Phoenix n00bity n00bity n00b n00b Joined: Posts: 48
    So my Hori HRAP 4 Kai occasionally connect to my PC or PS4. I assume it's a problem with a USB cable. I took it out and it has 5 slots to connect to. It looks like this.

Would I be able to use this cable from Amazon or do I have to call and order one from Hori directly?
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Darksakul for mod 2018 Joined: Posts: 922
    Does anyone know of a composite to hdmi signal converter that is both good and not FrameMeister expensive? I really don't want to have to store a crt for PS2 and Dreamcast.
    End of one nightmare, prelude to the another.