Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Comments

• T0biasT0bias Joined: Posts: 11
    What do people recommend for a "lag free" monitor? Was looking at the rl2460 and looking around at reviews but it's impossible to know which ones are paid off
  • sasquachsasquach MvC2 making a comeback 2017? Joined: Posts: 368
    T0bias wrote: »
    What do people recommend for a "lag free" monitor? Was looking at the rl2460 and looking around at reviews but it's impossible to know which ones are paid off

I really like that monitor, it's as good as it gets in terms of lag for a non CRT display.
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
  • KillerandUndertakerKillerandUndertaker Joined: Posts: 85
    T0bias wrote: »

I just got AOC G2460PF 24-Inch Free Sync Gaming LED Monitor, Full HD (1920 x 1080), 144hz, 1ms The colors aren't great but otherwise is relly good for the price.
  • deadxobbitdeadxobbit Joined: Posts: 51
    Poor viewing angles and color output of TN panels which are usually used in those low lag monitors are the only reasons that keep me from ditching my cheap IPS panel monitor.

Nevertheless, I've been keeping my eye on the RL2460 for some time now, since it has both DVI and HDMI inputs (which my current monitor lacks) to use both PC and console without having to disconect one to use the other. I have a mid-tier PC, so I really don't care about 60Hz+ refresh rates, so in the end it mostly depends on whether I am willing to sacrifice overall image quality for low input lag in games.
  • GOGO.ZippyGOGO.Zippy Joined: Posts: 1,079
    douglavras wrote: »
    Hi all. Is the Brook PS4/PS3 PCB working after the PS4 4.05 update?
    Actually, the most recent update for the PCB is from september, before 4.0 update, I think,
    http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/PS4/

@douglavras
    The Brook PS4/PS3 PCB is working well on V4.05 system, don't update any file.
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,830
    Darksakul wrote: »
    jopamo wrote: »
    I recently ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 (and intend on installing Recalbox), and have a few sticks with Brook UFBs installed. Anyone here have experience with this combo? Will it all be compatible?

I'm not adverse to installing some zero delay encoders in some empty stick shells I got lying around, but I would like to avoid the extra work if at all possible. Thanks.

I think the UFBs connected to a PC will default as PS4 controllers, I don't see why they would not work. For all purposes, the Raspberry Pi 3 is a PC (a very Tiny one).
    If you run into issues force PS3 mode instead.

Actual performance will depend on what OS you use and what is installed. Most of the more recent versions of RetroPie has PS3 controller support. https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-a-PS3-controller
    There are Xbox 360 controller support but it has issues.

You will want to use a Powered USB Hub as there only so much power the Rasp Pi can handle. This is with any USB controller, not just the Brook UFB.

Brook defaults as XB1 on PC. Since February.
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,450
    Before I start, I would like to say that I'm a total noob at making an arcade/fightstick in fact, this is my first time trying to mess with this kinda stuff.

Hey guys! I'm planning on making some sort of bartop arcade cab that uses a Raspberry PI and has 2 full arcade/fight stick (but full I mean joystick, 6 main button, 1 or 2 coin, 1 or 2 start, etc). I was looking at some PCBs and saw the I-PAC-2 which supports enough inputs and is made for 2 players. When looking at the board I noticed that there's only 2 common ground ports. I had the idea to daisy chain the ground from all the buttons and the joystick from 1 stick to 1 of the ground ports, and have the second ground port meant for all the buttons and the joystick from the 2nd stick.

While this idea sounds good in my head, I'm not 100% sure if I can daisy chain the ground from the buttons to a joystick. So I also had the of daisy chaining all the buttons from both sticks to 1 ground port and then for the ground of the joysticks, I would twist the connectors together and then put that into the 2nd ground port.

Anyways, my question is whether it would be better for me to make each stick (joystick + buttons) have their own ground port

or

would it be better to have 1 ground port dedicated to the buttons and the other dedicated to the joysticks (I would most likely twist the ends of the ground together).

Thanks!
    https://focusattack.com/ultimarc-i-pac-2-2-player-usb-pushbutton-and-joystick-interface-pcb/

With a common ground board, you're fine as long as the grounds are securely joined, even if there's only a single line connecting to the PCB.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    edited October 2016
    deadxobbit wrote: »
    Poor viewing angles and color output of TN panels which are usually used in those low lag monitors are the only reasons that keep me from ditching my cheap IPS panel monitor.

Nevertheless, I've been keeping my eye on the RL2460 for some time now, since it has both DVI and HDMI inputs (which my current monitor lacks) to use both PC and console without having to disconect one to use the other. I have a mid-tier PC, so I really don't care about 60Hz+ refresh rates, so in the end it mostly depends on whether I am willing to sacrifice overall image quality for low input lag in games.

One option people overlook is the Benq XL2720Z monitor. The early Z series monitors (and the buggy XL2430T) are the only LCD monitors that can single strobe at 60hz refresh rate, which is rather nice for console output. I believe the Eizo Foris FS2735 is "capable" of strobing at 60hz if you can accept a quad strobe (it isn't even a double strobe).
  • sadboysadboy Joined: Posts: 47
    gahrling wrote: »
    Seimitsu are a bit more fucked though as their snap-ins and screw-ins have different microswitches. No one knows why, it's just Seimitsu logic.
    I don't get why they had to dick with the shape of the plungers either. If there was a screw-in equivalent of the PS-14-G (i.e., with the flat plunger), I'd buy those in a heartbeat. Though not screw-ins, the best buttons I own (but don't use) are PS-14-GX.
  • douglavrasdouglavras Blue_Note Joined: Posts: 54
    GOGO.Zippy wrote: »
    douglavras wrote: »
    Hi all. Is the Brook PS4/PS3 PCB working after the PS4 4.05 update?
    Actually, the most recent update for the PCB is from september, before 4.0 update, I think,
    http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/PS4/

@douglavras
    The Brook PS4/PS3 PCB is working well on V4.05 system, don't update any file.

Yeah, I think I got a faulty one. It says my update was successful, yet it still doesn't work inside game menus (only ps4 menu) and I'm getting 8min timeout. Going to return it.
  • slawbrahslawbrah Joined: Posts: 13
    I want to get a PS2 and play kusoge all day. How feasible would it be to add PS2 compatibility to a PS4 TE2+ while still maintaining PS4 functionality, either via stock PCB or Brook UFB? Would I be better off just throwing the PS360 I have lying around in a separate stick?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,358
    slawbrah wrote: »
    I want to get a PS2 and play kusoge all day. How feasible would it be to add PS2 compatibility to a PS4 TE2+ while still maintaining PS4 functionality, either via stock PCB or Brook UFB? Would I be better off just throwing the PS360 I have lying around in a separate stick?

Its called a Dual Mod, Look up how to do one.

You could throw in a PS360+ and have it dualmoded to your existing PCB
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • steveyseesteveysee Joined: Posts: 21
    Hi all, new to modding so I have a quick question, Im think of building a sit down viewlix style cab..will put in pc for mame and ps4 ..whats the best boards to use that can switch between both please? (also easiest one wire up).
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 495
    Brook universal fighting board.
    If youre on a budget Brook ps3/ps4 fight board is cheaper and does what you need but requires soldering
  • BubbledotjpgBubbledotjpg Joined: Posts: 252
    Looking to make a wooden stick and I seem to recall there being RJ-45 neutrik. I found thishttp://www.markertek.com/product/ehrj45p6s/switchcraft-ehrj45p6s-shielded-rj45-cat6-feedthru-panel-mount would it work for a UFB fine?
    Looking to make a wooden stick and I seem to recall there being RJ-45 neutrik. I found thishttp://www.markertek.com/product/ehrj45p6s/switchcraft-ehrj45p6s-shielded-rj45-cat6-feedthru-panel-mount would it work for a UFB fine?

Switchcraft works perfectly fine. Just don't use the Neutrik ones with wood unless it's thin enough. Tho Neutriks are nicer...
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    sasquach wrote: »
    Switchcraft works perfectly fine. Just don't use the Neutrik ones with wood unless it's thin enough. Tho Neutriks are nicer...

The Neutrik Cat6 jacks are fine for wood, just expensive. It's the cat5 jacks that aren't so good for thick panels.
    gahrling wrote: »
    sasquach wrote: »

The Neutrik Cat6 jacks are fine for wood, just expensive. It's the cat5 jacks that aren't so good for thick panels.

Ahh my bad, thanks for the insight.
  • BobHarrisBobHarris Joined: Posts: 1
    edited November 2016
    Hey guys, I recently bought a TES+ when it was on sale with the plan of replacing my HRAP4 Kai with it. I do prefer the overall build quality and weight of the TES+, but I really, really prefer the Hayabusa stick.

Problem is, I tried swapping them and couldn't get the Hayabusa to fit. It'll mount in there fine, but then I can't get the case to close back up. The inside is really quite busy and packed, but I tried looking around for quite some time and couldn't figure out what was causing the clearance issue.

Any ideas? I'd really like to get the Hayabusa to work in there because then I'd feel like I had the best of both worlds. I'm honestly not sure which one I prefer overall at the moment in their stock configuration.
    Put your phone in there with the flaslight and video recording on while trying to close it
  • NoKushWaveNoKushWave Ehh Joined: Posts: 97
    Buying new parts for my stick anyone have experience with higher tension springs ? good or bad? im guessing the higher tension make the stick stiffer as well as improving the time it takes for the stick to go back to neutral?
  • KillerandUndertakerKillerandUndertaker Joined: Posts: 85
    NoKushWave wrote: »
    Buying new parts for my stick anyone have experience with higher tension springs ? good or bad? im guessing the higher tension make the stick stiffer as well as improving the time it takes for the stick to go back to neutral?

I played with a bat top, Kowal oversized actuator & a 4lb spring in my Sanwa JLF then went down to a 2lb spring witch I preferred. It didn't feel like the 4lb spring improved the return to neutral enough to justify the slowdown. I recently instaled a Myoungshin Fanta in my Madcatz TE & I would definitely recommend it over the Sanwa JLF in terms of speed when returning to neutral & inputting directions.
  • kowalkowal smell like Sanwa Joined: Posts: 400
    The spring does not improve the speed of centering
    it gives you a different feeling (better or worse - this is only preference), but in reality does nothing
    havy spring on bearing type joystick paradoxically can slow centering
    The speed depends on the type of centering Pivot
    then from the throw, but the pivot is always the overriding
    Luftwaffe use only Suzo
  • HandipeñoHandipeño Joined: Posts: 35
    Hey I've got a question for anyone that has a lvt3. Ive tried booting up the program, but it keeps giving me an update notification. I've updated the drivers but still no luck. Anyone have experience in this?
    Psn: Mexasian132

Steam: Handipeno
    Ok. I got a te r1 and a te-s that seem to have suffered some pretty heavy abuse over the years. I cleaned up the buttons and lever, but im considering a vinyl wrap for the case. How would i go about preparing the surface?
    I was thinking of getting a plastic filler and filling up the dents then sanding it down (grit?). I dont have much experience with vinyl wranps on dinged/scratched surfaces tbh.
  • Fatso666Fatso666 Joined: Posts: 15
    Anyone know if you can use a controller (which uses a Brook Universal Fighting PCB) on PC to access PS4 remote play?
  • just6822just6822 Bagged Milk Joined: Posts: 158
    edited November 2016
    Hiya, another silly Brook UFB question on the way~

If I use the 20pin connector on my stick and buttons, would I be able to also use the screw terminal at the same time? Multiple jab buttons or a stick+hitbox type configuration, is there any reason that wouldn't be possible?

Thanks for your time~
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,602
    just6822 wrote: »
    Hiya, another silly Brook UFB question on the way~

If I use the 20pin connector on my stick and buttons, would I be able to also use the screw terminal at the same time? Multiple jab buttons or a stick+hitbox type configuration, is there any reason that wouldn't be possible?

Thanks for your time~

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but you can just as easily splice two wires together to go into a single screw terminal.
  • ayechpayechp Joined: Posts: 14
    Thinking about directly connecting buttons to a raspberry pi 3. Would this harness http://paradisearcadeshop.com/wire-and-power/1664-20-pin-100-fight-stick-harness.html be able to work with the GPIO on the board directly? Or would I have to manually wire each button to the GPIO?
  • abelfanaticabelfanatic Joined: Posts: 137
    anyone know if the hori hrap 4 vlx works with sf5 on PC without any other program running?
  • 2old4this2old4this Joined: Posts: 72
    Vicko wrote: »
    if you dont know how to solder, don't bother. Call madcatz and ask for a replacement pcb.
    Here's your guide:
    take a small wire
    take one side and wire to the red wire from your usb cable
    take the other, a 10k resistor from radio shack or something, and wire to the offending button
    the end

I just picked up a te2+ used off of ebay that may need this fix. I'll give it a shot if Madcatz won't replace for me. Thanks Vicko!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,358
    anyone know if the hori hrap 4 vlx works with sf5 on PC without any other program running?

The first ps4 vlx is not xinput compliant and thus will not work. I can't speak about the 2nd reday one.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce In Makoto I Trust Joined: Posts: 3,081

The new one with Hayabusa buttons works perfectly on pc,he has Xinput for it iirc.
  • ErisiErisi Joined: Posts: 12
    I'm looking to do a custom stick, for my Raspberry Pi emulator build. Quality of buttons is not that important to me, as I'm not a heavy fighting game player. What I would like, to make it flashy, is some buttons that light up when pressed. Any recommendations? The price pretty much trumps the need for quality, so I don't mind some cheap crap off ebay. As long as it works.

TL;DR Not a fighting game player, looking for LED buttons that light up on press. Button quality not important, just looking to do it cheaply.
  • DARTHLORD_SVDARTHLORD_SV Joined: Posts: 32
    Whatsup guys? Anybody knows what model switch comes whit the ls-56 seimitsu joystick? Thanks .
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,450
    Whatsup guys? Anybody knows what model switch comes whit the ls-56 seimitsu joystick? Thanks .

https://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ls-33-ls-55-ls-56-ls-58-187-fastener-microswitch/

This one, but the 01 variants (pcb type) use a different connector that solders in.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • DARTHLORD_SVDARTHLORD_SV Joined: Posts: 32
    Is the same model in sale comes whit the joystick?
  • TwinnissTwinniss Joined: Posts: 785
    has anyone posted about padhacking a hori fps plus? https://www.amazon.com/Horipad-FPS-Plus/dp/B0106XFCPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479258869&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+fps

Im interested in just being able to hit the touchpad on it
    A single Pot buster does 45% damage on Chipp with full life.

• thesynapsethesynapse Joined: Posts: 39
    Hey people,

When building custom arcade sticks, I notice that most people end up going for a Neutriks USB pass through solution to the question of 'what to do with the cable'.

However, I'd prefer to build a stick with in-built storage (like on a bought/manufactured stick). I've tried some searching but haven't been able to find anyone who's done a 'build your own cable storage compartment' post or vid. Yet, one feels that I can't be the only one to have an interest, nor the first!

Would someone be able to point me towards a post/vid where someone's done this? Holy grail would be a 'build your own retractable usb cable'!

Thanks in advance!
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,514
    Twinniss wrote: »
    has anyone posted about padhacking a hori fps plus? https://www.amazon.com/Horipad-FPS-Plus/dp/B0106XFCPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479258869&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+fps

Im interested in just being able to hit the touchpad on it

It's not common ground. So only usable as a stand alone padhack.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!