Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

Comments

• ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,398
    I have a Sony PVM 20M4U currently hooked up to one of my PCs. I also use it for my PS2 (both using BNC inputs). Problem is I keep having to disconnect/reconnect cables every time I switch from PC to console. I'm guessing I need some kind of switch box/video router to avoid this? What are the recommended ones?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,900
    ilitirit wrote: »
    I have a Sony PVM 20M4U currently hooked up to one of my PCs. I also use it for my PS2 (both using BNC inputs). Problem is I keep having to disconnect/reconnect cables every time I switch from PC to console. I'm guessing I need some kind of switch box/video router to avoid this? What are the recommended ones?

You got a few choices
    Best Scart Switcher out the gscartsw https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=50851

As for Video Switches that use BNC, Extron Crosspoint

If you don't mind making Custom adapters/cables a VGA switch box works as well.

More info here

http://retrorgb.com/scartswitches.html
    http://retrorgb.com/switches.html
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,662
    @Jasen Hicks does your store have the option to simply purchase a "pro cable" assembled for a retail stick replacement (madcatz)?
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    otter wrote: »
    @Jasen Hicks does your store have the option to simply purchase a "pro cable" assembled for a retail stick replacement (madcatz)?

I think this would be better served to be posted in his TT thread; not the general Q&A thread because you may get issued an infraction for posting in this thread regarding it. Of course, I could be 100% wrong too!
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,662
    okay thanks
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Have a Qanba Obsidian on it's way from Arcadeshock; and I'm gonna do an artwork and button swap in the next month or so. On the artwork swap guide that's posted on FA, it says to clean the bolts that hold the stock artwork in place. What should they be cleaned with?
  • enkidomarkenkidomark I'm long-winded. Sorry. Joined: Posts: 117
    I've been at this way too long to have to ask this, but here goes: I need a good crimper and/or QDs to go with. I've never gotten good connections with basic, cheap crimpers, and I suspect there's a knack to this that I am not privy to. Please enlighten me. :)
    XBL: enkidoMC
    enkidomark wrote: »
    I've been at this way too long to have to ask this, but here goes: I need a good crimper and/or QDs to go with. I've never gotten good connections with basic, cheap crimpers, and I suspect there's a knack to this that I am not privy to. Please enlighten me. :)

Look into ratcheting crimpers, they typically go for about 24 and up
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,268
    edited November 4
    So the stick in my Saturn Virtua Stick (HSS-0136) is a LS-56-01. The lever arms of the micro switches are really loose and rattle around with the light flick of a finger. Is that normal of the micro switches on this stick, or is that shit just hella old and needs to be swapped out?
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Darksakul wrote: »
    i am aware of the tactic of stretching a spring to increase resistance. however, are there any options to reduce resistance apart from buying a new spring? i'm using a 3rd gen silent jlf (jlf-tprg-8byt-sk) and something about the resistance feels off. it's as though the spring is stiffer than the standard jlf even though i know that it's the same one. this creates a gummy feeling that leads to missed inputs (typically dashes) and minor hand fatigue. vendors don't offer a spring that is lighter than the stock one, and i can understand why, since the standard jlf is quite loose already. i just want my silent version to feel like the standard model. if i cut the spring, it would affect the closed end.

as a side note, using a kowal actuator seems to make the stick even more stiff, but the above paragraph refers to usage of the stock actuator.

Best tact is good old fashioned wear and tear, just keep on using the same stick match after match, game after game at it will loosen up.
    Usually joystick springs ship off slightly too tight in order to plan just for this occurrence.

Cutting or burning springs is stupid and will just wear out the spring too fast. Cut too much of the spring and you got a worthless spring.

if the joystick feels too gummy, you need to take apart the stick, clean and relube it. That can also loosen up a joystick

thanks. the stick is brand new so i assume it does not need cleaning or lubing. hopefully you are right and it just needs time. the case i'm using is also a lighter weight plastic case compared to my old mdf case. it's about 2-3 pounds lighter i would estimate. maybe that also influences how tight the stick feels. but either way... not liking the stick so far. i have a light touch and regular jlf feels a lot more crisp. i will try adding some weight to the stick, but other than penny rolls, i'm not familiar with a cost effective way of doing this. and the inside of the case does not have a lot of space to work with.

just to follow up on this, i installed the old spring (10+ years of wear) into the silent sanwa, and while it does feel different in some hard to explain way, it doesn't feel noticeably looser. so the tension in the D2RV-G-SD3 switches could be the culprit. if that is the case, it's disappointing because most comments online said the stick has either the same or slightly less tension than the switches on the standard jlf. the case weight doesnt seem to be a factor because the stick still has the same displeasing characteristics when i use my other hand to firmly prevent the case from moving. shouldve went with the 8AYT instead, but oh well.

completely different question but has anyone tried using separate pieces of wood/mdf for the top panel so that different areas of the panel will have different thicknesses? i'm thinking about attempting something to take advantage of the benefits of wood, like sound dampening and added weight, while still being able to install screw-in buttons. 1/4" wood with 1/8" plexi would be 9.525 mm thick. gamerfinger screw ins apparently fit into panels up to 10 mm thick. not sure about sanwas as ive only ever used snap ins. anyone tried a similar concept?

ms paint mockup lol:
    Jq6jPSZ.jpg
    This message will self-destruct.
    jopamo wrote: »
    So the stick in my Saturn Virtua Stick (HSS-0136) is a LS-56-01. The lever arms of the micro switches are really loose and rattle around with the light flick of a finger. Is that normal of the micro switches on this stick, or is that shit just hella old and needs to be swapped out?

Could be just old.
  • DrambitDrambit High Overlord Balrog Joined: Posts: 600
    What are the best current alternatives to plexiglass artwork? I have an Arcade-in-a-box I made a long time ago, too big for my sheets of plexi, $50 for something big enough. Don't need anything fancy, generic art is fine, just need something that can properly cover a 15" x 11" face.
    Drambit wrote: »
    What are the best current alternatives to plexiglass artwork? I have an Arcade-in-a-box I made a long time ago, too big for my sheets of plexi, $50 for something big enough. Don't need anything fancy, generic art is fine, just need something that can properly cover a 15" x 11" face.

lamilable if you can find it, if not do it yourself laminate works.
    Also prints on vinyl.
    lamilable if you can find it, if not do it yourself laminate works.
    Also prints on vinyl.

Isn't sold in Canada unfortunately. I'll look for a big vinyl sticker I guess.
    edited November 4
    edited November 4

They actually have one that is designed for my exact stick http://www.gameongrafix.com/bargain-bin/virtua-fighter-5-arcade-in-a-box-cpo-15-x-10 but the shipping to me is $35. There's a high school in my neighborhood that has a printer that can make multi-color vinyl stickers, but they have the texture of normal stickers which IMO is not very comfortable to play on, I like the soft ones. Is there a place you can get the soft adhesive vinyl for reasonably cheap?

They actually have one that is designed for my exact stick http://www.gameongrafix.com/bargain-bin/virtua-fighter-5-arcade-in-a-box-cpo-15-x-10 but the shipping to me is $35. There's a high school in my neighborhood that has a printer that can make multi-color vinyl stickers, but they have the texture of normal stickers which IMO is not very comfortable to play on, I like the soft ones. Is there a place you can get the soft adhesive vinyl for reasonably cheap?

You gotta check your local print shops.
    edited November 5

I'll take a look, around here there is mostly just Staples and the UPS store though, neither of which sell that afaik.

Post edited by Drambit on

I'll take a look, around here there is mostly just Staples and the UPS store though, neither of which sell that afaik.

You need to check your Yellow pages
    edited November 6
    I called every print / sign shop in my city, most of them don't do anything vinyl related, the ones that do only do them in large scale with huge minimum printouts, 100+. Feels bad man. I think the graphic arts department at my old high school still does these things though so I'll call them up.
  • 16bit_man16bit_man Joined: Posts: 7
    Is there anyone here that offers printing of custom artwork and cutting for arcade sticks. I have contacted some printing shops locally no joy. Also contacted some members here you did offer this servicein the uk ut looks like they may jave stopped doing it. Thank you. Sorry if this question is in the wrong section in advance. Is there anyway a post can be deleted. I dont want to make the forum untidy.
    edited November 9
    In how many posts and threads are you going to ask the same question?

There is no way that there are zero print shops in the UK that can’t print an image for you on either card stock or adhesive backed vinyl—that you couldn’t at least mount and cut to your stick’s control panel.

When I lived in London a long time ago, I was within walking distance of a place that offered such services. I’m sure that’s not the only place in England—let alone the UK.

What stick do you have?
    Post edited by jopamo on
    I have printed stick art on regular printer paper before and used that.
    Even Lighter card stock can work in a $50 inkjet printer

Do you happen to know where I can buy self adhesive vinyl to print myself?

Do you happen to know where I can buy self adhesive vinyl to print myself?

Art and Craft stores like Jo-Ann Fabrics should have them
    edited November 12
    Yep...Michaels has it too. I’ve used Cricut and Silhouette sheets with OK results. Note that most printable stuff available is only 8.5”x11” sheet packs and not larger sheets or rolls—to play nice with home inkjets printers. Even though most of that stuff is matte and doesn’t run (for longevity’s sake) you should consider running the finished product through a laminator before cutting and mounting.
    Yep...Michaels has it too. I’ve used Cricut and Silhouette sheets with OK results. Note that most printable stuff available is only 8.5”x11” sheet packs and not larger sheets or rolls—to play nice with home inkjets printers. Even though most of that stuff is matte and doesn’t run (for longevity’s sake) you should consider running the finished product through a laminator before cutting and mounting.

god damn I regret making a 15" by 11" panel.
    edited November 13
    If your hands are steady, you could just try splitting your art print to two vertical sheets of US Letter sized vinyl, then aim them up during mounting and run a transparent matte vinyl sheet over the art. A sheet of US Letter paper is 8.5” by 11”

Your panel is 11” tall.
    Your panel is 15” wide.
    8.5 * 2 = 17

Left justify the image print across both sheets (print with no borders/margins) and trim 2” off the right edge of the second sheet.
    Or...
    Center the image across both prints (print with no borders/margins) and trim 1” off the outside edges of both sheets.

Make it work, dude.
    AoYjv_f-maxage-0.gif
    If your hands are steady

Never thought about using a transparent sheet, interesting idea. I think a nearby high school has a full size printer with a big roll I could use so this all might be unnecessary but I might have to do this. I don't even have artwork I just need a texture or solid color sheet to put on the top so it isn't bare MDF.

If your hands are steady

Never thought about using a transparent sheet, interesting idea. I think a nearby high school has a full size printer with a big roll I could use so this all might be unnecessary but I might have to do this. I don't even have artwork I just need a texture or solid color sheet to put on the top so it isn't bare MDF.

There is Vinyl Wrap, its used on everything from computers to automobiles for customization.
    The stuff comes in a while array of colors and patterns.
    There is Vinyl Wrap, its used on everything from computers to automobiles for customization.

Can't believe I didn't hear about that yet, that's basically what I'm looking for, I'm not into very custom art.

This is basically what I was going for. I'll see if I can find some good relatively generic stuff.

05fc073bc6592f1881124fa527426326.jpg

edited November 14

Can't believe I didn't hear about that yet, that's basically what I'm looking for, I'm not into very custom art.

This is basically what I was going for. I'll see if I can find some good relatively generic stuff.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/fc/07/05fc073bc6592f1881124fa527426326.jpg

Look for automotive quality if you want any durability, but you don't need the automotive quantity.
    Even sample pieces can get pretty huge. Its Basically a step up from generic contact paper.

I used the stuff to color match my Disc drive and retro fan controller to the rest of my Military green PC case and have tons of material leftover.

Like here a quick example I found on amazon in less than a second, its carbon fiber pattern vinyl wrap
    https://www.amazon.com/VVIVID-Black-Carbon-Release-Technology/dp/B00L9J4JRG/
    1ft by 5 tf roll for $7.99 US.

The stuff comes in different patterns and designs (carbon fiber, wood grain, cammo, marble, ect) and even solid colors if that is your thing.

I just recommend using a sharp knife, like a utility knife or xacto knife, a ruler or straight edge and a heat gun or hair dryer to help spread the material even and tight.
    Maybe a old credit card or similar tool for application.
    The stuff comes in different patterns and designs (carbon fiber, wood grain, cammo, marble, ect) and even solid colors if that is your thing.

How exactly does it work? Is it just very sticky film or a self adhesive deal?

How exactly does it work? Is it just very sticky film or a self adhesive deal?

Self adhesive, just cut to size, peel back the paper backing and apply

Hair dryer or heat gun at low setting can help make the vinyl go on with any tight crevices or turns.
    I would not cut holes for buttons or joystick until after you apply the material
  • Dr. FaustDr. Faust Charging all day long Joined: Posts: 580
    edited November 15
    Two questions:
    1) I'm modding an old MadCatz TE SFIV verstion into a Stick-less arcade stick and need to replace the metal panel. I have a place to get it (link below) but I also need the top panal replaced because i don't have a Plexiglas or bezel on it. 2) how does anyone know the dimensions of a TE so I can make a Plexiglas/art work for it? I emailed arts-hobbies to see if he could make a custom one but got no answer, prob busy.

http://arcadeforge.net/Arcade-Control-Panel/Madcatz-TE-Faceplates/Madcatz-TE-Hitbox-Button-Layout-Metal-Replacement::55.html
    Steam: johnfewiv
    SF: Vega(Claw)
    GG:Axl
    BB: Carl
    T7: Lee
    Dr. Faust wrote: »
    Two questions:
    1) I'm modding an old MadCatz TE SFIV verstion into a Stick-less arcade stick and need to replace the metal panel. I have a place to get it (link below) but I also need the top panal replaced because i don't have a Plexiglas or bezel on it. 2) how does anyone know the dimensions of a TE so I can make a Plexiglas/art work for it? I emailed arts-hobbies to see if he could make a custom one but got no answer, prob busy.

http://arcadeforge.net/Arcade-Control-Panel/Madcatz-TE-Faceplates/Madcatz-TE-Hitbox-Button-Layout-Metal-Replacement::55.html

Maybe try emailing Arcade Forge as they make/sell the panel. They should have the specs for you.
    Otherwise you have to wait till you get the panel to measure it yourself.
    I was just looking into stuff about printing artwork and plexiglass, ended up clicking a link to a shoryuken thread about exactly this specific topic from 6 years ago with some useful relevant information.

The catch?

All the relevant posts were by me 6 years ago ಠ_ಠ...

I've been on this project for waaaay too long.
  • BubbledotjpgBubbledotjpg Joined: Posts: 257
    Dr. Faust wrote: »
    Two questions:

You can select a clear plexiglass from the options and get one sent from them. But be cautious because I ordered a plexiglass replacement from them recently and the packaging was horrible and it arrived in pieces. Never received a replacement either.
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 19
    disregard, figured it out.
    Post edited by evilj on
    Green Karin.
  • dr1ft3r87dr1ft3r87 Joined: Posts: 10
    ive been using my te s+ for a few months now, i use the daigo grip like the wine glass with the pinky. i couldnt get comfortable with any of the other grips. and im starting to notice that my index finger is not getting used very much. i think i need a taller shaft, and cause i have three fingers available to grab the ball, i think i might need the 45mm ball as well. im thinking of buying these things https://www.focusattack.com/extended-sanwa-jlf-hollow-joystick-shaft/
    https://www.focusattack.com/suzo-happ-45mm-bubbletop-blue/
    https://www.focusattack.com/2lb-tension-spring-for-sanwa-jlf/

can anybody offer any advice, is this a good idea.