Improvements or changes you would like to see in SFV

FrozteyFroztey That British DudeJoined: Posts: 8,216
edited July 2016 in Street Fighter V
Voice your opinion on what SFV should/shouldn't have - be it theorycraft or proven by evidence.
Post edited by Froztey on

Comments

• DavidstarDavidstar KILLA KUEEN! Joined: Posts: 5,034
    just speculation but i think parries will come back seeing as how they put in that justin daigo moment. maybe it's a hint.
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
  • J.DJ.D EVO Staff Joined: Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Parry
    Charge Partioning.
    Negative edge for supers (no 3 button Ultra)
    Crouching tech gives cr.jab instead of cr.short.
    No comeback mechanics.
    Fight For The Future!!
  • FrozteyFroztey That British Dude Joined: Posts: 8,216
    edited December 2014
    d3v wrote: »
    Faster walk speeds
    No more plinking
    Better hitboxes on medium and heavy attacks
    More damaging AAs

I heavily agree with faster walking and no more plinking. I dislike crutches, even if they're available to everybody.
    Davidstar wrote: »
    just speculation but i think parries will come back seeing as how they put in that justin daigo moment. maybe it's a hint.

I just don't think Capcom are going to take a step backward at this point, I'm just living in 3rd Strike nostalgia.
    J.D wrote: »
    Parry
    Charge Partioning.
    Negative edge for supers (no 3 button Ultra)
    Crouching tech gives cr.jab instead of cr.short.
    No comeback mechanics.

I like "Big flashy ultra combos" but I don't like the comeback factor they give or comeback factor in general. I like Xrd's insta-kill system though, that's a pretty neat idea, cool way to finish off an opponent. You already know some kind of comeback tool is going to be present though, it seems to be a recurring theme in their new fighters.

• Zio_NameZio_Name Joined: Posts: 342
    1)Parries. But in a more risk/reward manner. As in you can only Red Parry, but it works only if you guard against the first hit or the Red Parry will fail. So it becomes a "play it safe and get chipped/sisk a fuckaton and survive" situation.
    2)Faster Walkspeed
    3)No Shortcuts
    4)No Plinking
    5)Custom Combos
    6)Relatively small Roster. 20, 25 tops.
    7)Okugawa as Composer
    edited December 2014
    • If there's gonna be a mechanic like focus attack used to extend combos, I want it not to work on block
    • No ultras, just supers that are actually useful. Maybe 4 bars total, 2 bars = super?
    • Damaging AA's that emphasize staying grounded
    • Better implementation of normals beating throws (like 3S)

Something that is my personal opinion:Since SF4 was inspired by ST, I'd like SF5 to be inspired by 3S and A3 for a fast paced and modernized fighting game.

I definitely think it's time for a change of pace, I'm not against SF4's slower speed of gameplay but I quite miss 3S and Alpha's quicker movement and gameplay, SF4 can look and play in quite a dull way sometimes..it would be nice to have a faster paced game.

More emphasis on AA's would be nice, force newer players into learning good/bad.

I disagree with removing ultras, not so much for the comeback factor but because they're a spectacle, I like having one super-flashy move to unleash on my opponent.
    Zio_Name wrote: »
    1)Parries. But in a more risk/reward manner. As in you can only Red Parry, but it works only if you guard against the first hit or the Red Parry will fail. So it becomes a "play it safe and get chipped/sisk a fuckaton and survive" situation.
    2)Faster Walkspeed
    3)No Shortcuts
    4)No Plinking
    5)Custom Combos
    6)Relatively small Roster. 20, 25 tops.
    7)Okugawa as Composer

I think I agree with pretty much everything here..you got it in one. Custom combos are debatable I guess, but fun.

• echelonNYKechelonNYK Sleepwalking in the minefield Joined: Posts: 3,297
    edited December 2014
    -Faster Walk Speed
    -Air Combos (Not on the level of Marvel, but i wouldn't mind them)
    -A endless lobby where the host can only spectate (Streaming reasons)
    -Built in frame data
    -Pre selection of characters so no time is wasted on the select screen (Xrd has this)
    -Stage Voting
    SFV: Bison, Ken
    USF4 : Bison
    GUILTY GEAR XRD: Axl, Potemkin
    BLAZBLUE CPE: Ragna, Kokonoe
    UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Akatsuki
    DEAD OR ALIVE 5: Kasumi

PSN / XBOX LIVE / STEAM / BATTLE. NET - EchelonNYK
    YOUTUBE - www.youtube.com/user/EchelonTVV
    TWITCH - www.twitch.tv/EchelonNYK
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,826 mod
    2 frame reversal window.
    No invulnerable backdashes.
    Less scaling on combos.
    Smaller stages.
    No parries. The mechanic is mostly crap just let it be.
    Small cast. 16 at most.
    Faster walkspeeds.

Probably some other technical stuff but meh. Parries would probably make me skip this game.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    echelonNYK wrote: »
    Air Combos (Not on the level of Marvel, but i wouldn't mind them)
    A endless lobby where the host can only spectate (Streaming reasons)
    Built in frame data information

1)Not really fond of Air Combos. I think Street Fighter should retain his "grounded" fighting style.
    2)Reall nice idea, indeed
    3)That, something like FA Tool to read only, plus a Skullgirls-like Training Mode, with a encyclopaedia of information on screen.

Anyway, since i mentioned the Okugawa bit, i would also like to add another "extra-meta" tidbit. GGPO Netcode, FFS.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,807
    edited December 2014
    - Run
    - Air Block
    - Parry
    Pertho wrote: »
    2 frame reversal window.
    No invulnerable backdashes.
    Less scaling on combos.
    Smaller stages.
    No parries. The mechanic is mostly crap just let it be.
    Small cast. 16 at most.
    Faster walkspeeds.

Probably some other technical stuff but meh. Parries would probably make me skip this game.

Agree with everything but the small cast, more characters the merrier, 20-25 seems good to me.

Magegg wrote: »
    - Run
    - Air Block
    - Parry

Air block, good one bruh.
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,836
    edited December 2014
    Higher damage normal attacks
    Faster throw start up
    No armor moves
    No Focus Attack
    No Ultra
    No parries
    Single meter management
    Super only
    Faster speed
    No lengthy cinematic moves
    No cinematic SPD moves
    Better FoV
    Alpha counters
    SFxT rolls
    Tech wake up and delayed wake up
    *No plinking
    *No short cuts
    *No 1 frame links. 2 frames at minimum.
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK Sleepwalking in the minefield Joined: Posts: 3,297
    SFxT rolls can burn in many fires.
    SFV: Bison, Ken
    USF4 : Bison
    GUILTY GEAR XRD: Axl, Potemkin
    BLAZBLUE CPE: Ragna, Kokonoe
    UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Akatsuki
    DEAD OR ALIVE 5: Kasumi

PSN / XBOX LIVE / STEAM / BATTLE. NET - EchelonNYK
    YOUTUBE - www.youtube.com/user/EchelonTVV
    TWITCH - www.twitch.tv/EchelonNYK
  • AfroperonistaAfroperonista Joined: Posts: 8
    edited December 2014
    First and foremost, a freaking Guard Meter (and with it, I guess a Guard Cancel Blowback or "Alpha Counter", at the expense of meter).

Also, no plinking, no shortcuts.
    rzalph wrote: »
    I really dislike option selects, plinking, crouch teching, and other universal mechanics that unnecessarily complicate the game (focus/red focus w/ 3 different charge levels, armor break, etc).

I don't like "tech". Just solid fundamental gameplay.

I think that might look like SF2 with dashing for extra movement options, supers/ex moves cause they're cool and reward solid play, and an alpha counter like mechanic for reads.

I like smaller rosters too (easier to balance, learn matchups, etc); it allows for each character to be more distinctive maybe even have character specific mechanics (super jump, armored moves, stance change, weapons, etc) while not overwhelming us with too many things to juggle against universal game mechanics.

I'll be the first to agree that option selecting feels like complete bullshit to me, but it leviates the guessing game and allows high-level play to play in a more constructed way, but is that really entertaining? Strip it down to the core and it is simply "The game will play itself for you."

I've never liked plinking, if you're going to add a pseudo mechanic/a glitch in the system to help the execution barrier just lower the difficulty of combos if you think having a plinking mechanic was necessary.

Crouch teching is a form of OS, and thus I dislike it as well. But in a game like SF4 I will wholeheartedly say that without crouch teching I would be bodied by a lot of people.
    First and foremost, a freaking Guard Meter.

How come i didn't think about the Guard Meter? *facepalm*

BTW, what about 3rd Strike Taunts? How do you feel about useful taunts?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,769 mod
    Less scaling on combos.
    Personally, I'd say that scaling should stop at 50%. So instead of combos scaling all the way to 10% like in IV, we'd get something more like:

100 - > 100 - > 80 - > 70 - > 60 - > 50.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    First and foremost, a freaking Guard Meter.

How come i didn't think about the Guard Meter? *facepalm*

SF4 has them...kinda. I like the idea of them returning.
  • rzalphrzalph Joined: Posts: 95
    On the opposite end of the spectrum compared to my previous statement, I think a well thought out groove system could be cool.

But I think it would be best reserved for a non-numbered SF. Like for when they finally decide to go ahead with CvS3.

(Prediction: CvS3 will be next major Capcom fighter) o:)

• NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,217
    -Guard Break
    -Custom combos
    -No focus OR parry
    -Smaller reversal window
    -FADC possible but ONLY on hit
    -Throw tech ala SF2
    -Faster walk speeds
    -AA's don't trade
    d3v wrote: »
    Less scaling on combos.
    Personally, I'd say that scaling should stop at 50%. So instead of combos scaling all the way to 10% like in IV, we'd get something more like:

100 - > 100 - > 80 - > 70 - > 60 - > 50.

You'd have insane damage outputs for long combo characters, stopping at 25% might be a little more realistic.
    edited December 2014
    ***Double post, apologies.
    edited December 2014
    I whole LOT of the master -kaxblastard. I hope to see him ssssssmokin' your bitchasses.
    I hear he is DOMINATING the sfxtkn leaderboards. I also hear he HATES all of you and Ultra Street Garbage 4.

I have literally zero fucking idea what you just said but I'll acknowledge it just the same.
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 12,413 mod
    Parries, and no cross up or jump overs in the corner.

Pay attention to option selects so they don't dominate the game.
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
  • thiagoeisthiagoeis Just press the buttons Joined: Posts: 575
    Faster walkspeed
    Guard meter

I kinda miss useful taunts too. It would be nice see them coming back.
    High level salty play

- I try to play:
    UMvC3: Chun-Li/Doom/Strider, Taskmaster/Chun/Hawkeye, Task/Doom/Hawk, point Hawkeye and point Vergil (troll) teams
    SFV: Alex, Guile and Ryu (CFN id: trakkerzorg)
    On the fence about MvCI: If I get the game Ultron/Strider might be sick. Space Stone + orbs ftw

Other games:
    - I play 4fun or when someone asks:
    GGXrd: Slayer
    SFxT: Combinations of Poison, Jin, Ryu, Vega(Claw), Yoshimitsu, Guile and sometimes Chun
    MSH: Psylocke and Spider-Man
    MvC: Gambit, Spider-Man, Ryu, Strider. Trolls with Zangief, Venom and O. Hulk
    Super Turbo/HDR: Guile, Vega(Claw)
    3rd Strike: Akuma, Ryu. Trolls with Alex and Twelve
    USFIV: Vega(Claw), Ryu. Fools around with Seth and Poison

- Stuff that I should practice more but I don't:
    DOA5LR: Kasumi
    MvC2: WarMachine/IronMan/Doom. Also weird teams with Rogue, Gambit, Ken, Akuma and other mid tiers
    CvS2: A-Guile/Ryu/Vega, A-Terry/Ken/Vega
    KOF XIII: Terry/King/Kim
  • rzalphrzalph Joined: Posts: 95
    More useful taunts, yes please!

Guard meter, not so much.

It really gives way to much incentive to play purely offensively. The aggressor earns meter, is doing chip, corner carrying, maintaining opponent's stun, etc. Ending in a situation where the defender either gets guard crushed or is forced to act exactly when the aggressors knows a risky move is coming due to imminent crush= big punish for aggressor either way. Not cool IMO.

I feel it's a mechanic that heavily favors not only certain play styles but certain characters as well.

I don't think it makes sense to have both guard crush and stun mechanics in the same game, at least in the way they have been previously implemented.

If someone "blocks too much", throw them or do better mix-ups.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,826 mod
    Froztey wrote: »

You'd have insane damage outputs for long combo characters, stopping at 25% might be a little more realistic.

Most sf gameplay doesnt revolve around a bunch of links. Links everywhere is mostly an SF4 thing. Closest game that comes to it is cvs2 and the combos are really short. Longest combos outside of a custom combo probably belongs to 3s where linking specials is a thing for some of the cast; even then its not a huge learn links kind of game.

Less links, more footsies, for the love of god no costum combo. There is no way to make that mechanic fair. Its basically bullshit in every game its been save for sf4's genei jin because of its lol scaling.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    Custom combo outside of a ranked game mode would be absolutely fine with me.
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,603
    • No customizable colors (or at least allow me the ability to not have to view other peoples visual abominations when playing online)
    • No universal chains
    • Vastly fewer invulnerable frames in general (totally breaks the visual logic of the game)
    • Consistent hurt-boxes (no dropped combos due to randomized reel-back animations)
    • Pursuit attacks on downed opponents (Darkstalkers style)
    • Larger stages
    • Shorter charge times for charge moves
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,419
    -No obnoxious 1 frame links, then there is no need for plinking, plinking in itself is fine.
    -Shorter reversal windows
    -Get rid of (DP) shortcuts.
    -Better anti-airs
    -Faster walkspeeds
    -More juggle potential on (special)moves, absolutely no marvel or blazblue type combos though.
    -No reward for getting owned(Ultra)
    -Visual stun bar
    -Just ONE type of meter
    -Cannot make invincible moves safe on block, regardless of mechanic.(fadc)
    -No rolls
    -No delayed wakeup

Overall what i want is a more agressive and faster paced game that punishes people for jumping and mashing reversals , which also allows for a bit more creativity in performing combos and resets.
    SFV: Juri
    GGREV2: Baiken
    T7:
    Nina
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

• DonkerDonker Joined: Posts: 69
    edited December 2014
    I wouldn't mind if they bring back several fighting game mechanics from previous games. Parrying for one, alpha counters, taunts that have some sort of buff would be nice too. Bit more character customization, more unique stages and not ports from other games.
    Xbox Live: D O N K E R
    PSN ID: DONKER
    WiiU: DONKER
    Killer Instinct XB1 and UMvC3 360
  • The-OlympianThe-Olympian 4 the Glory of Gaea Joined: Posts: 2,134
    edited December 2014
    No delayed wakeup.
    No specials with armor or normals with armor properties.
    No parry.

I like links. And I want them to stay. P link is fun ^^
    What of the Hunting, Hunter Bold? Brother, the Watch was Long and Cold.
    What of the Quarry ye went to Kill? Brother, He Crops in the Jungle Still.
  • -=KOH=--=KOH=- In Japan Joined: Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2014
    Things that would be fun to see again are:
    Universal overhead, strong meter management, personal actions, whiffing for meter, parries so I can hear scrubs cry for another 10 years.
    More unique dashes are high on the list for me.

Things I don't ever want to see again are:
    Comeback mechanics, large reversal windows, input shortcuts and huge amounts invincibility frames.

It would also be cool if they gave more options for character selection such as grooves or isms.
    All the way in the back of the food stamp line.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Speed, crazy strong characters (everyone), ground attack focus, no FOCUS attack, no parry, no clones, beefy hitboxes, hutboxes/hitboxes function properly, completely different from SF4.

• Data BeastData Beast Joined: Posts: 591
    Fire Dimps before they ruin it.
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,861
    I would like to see a laugh track and negative commentary so when you're not playing with your friends and fail a simple combo you won't feel lonely
  • Maria CroftMaria Croft Joined: Posts: 910
    No parries.
    No dive kicks, or at least height restrictions on them.
    No option select.
    No shortcuts.
    No 1-frame links.
    No custom combos.
    No crazy long combos.
    No gems or any hidden DLC.

More focus on fundamentals.
    Great netcode.
  • scrub15scrub15 Joined: Posts: 389
    No parrying (Let's not kill off Zoners again) | Don't make a BILLION ultras that all go through fireballs
    Tightened Reversal Window (Let's not turn this into another mash fest)
    Expanded Throw Range and Increased Walkspeed (Footsies)
    scrub15 wrote: »
    No parrying (Let's not kill off Zoners again) | Don't make a BILLION ultras that all go through fireballs
    Tightened Reversal Window (Let's not turn this into another mash fest)
    Expanded Throw Range and Increased Walkspeed (Footsies)

An anti-mash mechanic would be interesting. It would NEVER happen, but it would be interesting.

• metallicabandmetallicaband DP & A TELEPORT ?!! Joined: Posts: 2,330
    - More links, less chains (chains preferably being character specific).
    - No invincible back dashes, rolls or any of that crap on wakeup.
    - Better throw system.
    - KEEP IT SIMPLE, you don't need to add 3000 game mechanics to make it seem like the game is deep, look at SF2 so simple yet insanely deep if you want to master it, SFxT for example feels so bloated and cheap if that makes sense.
    - ABSOLUTELY NO DLC locked characters, keep that shits to visual costumes ONLY.
    - No money milking crap like SFxT Gems, everything gameplay mechanic wise should be offered in the game for everyone, again only aesthetics can be offered for extra charge, nothing else.
    - Better netcode.
    - No focus attacks or parries and for God's sake not both lol. Try to bring something new unique for SF5 that doesn't mess with Street Fighter's well known fundamentals (footsies, AA, fireball game..etc).
    - Make the characters overall feel stronger and faster, more like SF2 where rounds were quick instead of boring turtle fest 7 hour rounds.
    - GOOOOOOD Music PLS, SF4 had awesome music and SFxT had literally GARBAGE music, back to the good stuff.
    - Beautiful and simple stages please, nothing hideous like some of the SFxT stages that even made their way to SF4.
    - Combos shouldn't be too long or too short, gotta have a good balance damage and length wise.
    - Please don't dumb the game down even more, like pressing one button for a full combo or any of that crap, believe it or not even casuals have brains and can attempt to learn combos properly.
    - Smaller reversal window that rewards good timing, something between SF2 and SF4, one being too strict and the other too lenient.

That's all I can think of for now lol.
    Shin Akuma V-Trigger Kreygasm, make it happen Capcom .
    Vanilla SF4 > AE 2012: Main: Akuma | Alt: Bison
  • LyzerLyzer Joined: Posts: 36
    Multiple super arts ( to be more flashy)
    A VERY GOOD NETCODE
    High damage on pokes and Anti airs also Consistent
    No Crouch Tech
    Fast WalkSpeed
    Ex moves
    Attack dash cancels but with no Focus attack ( People could express their style more) Although reversal moves can't be dash cancel on block.
    Stun meter if its in the game
    New moves list for every character
    Smaller reversal window
    No reward for losing (ultras)

Other Things
    A True Ranking System
    Great music
    Multiple Modes
    Good story line
    A beta (Obvious play testing)
    Mini CutScenes like in Cvs 2

That's all i think of for now.
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,679
    I'm a fan of the Alpha series, specfically 2 so I would like level 1-3 supers again. With EX moves using half of 1 super bar. Perhaps implement an Ultra system, but you need 3 super meters to use it as well.
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,150
    edited December 2014
    Parries and guard crush together. Make parries and blocking use both the guard meter in a different amount. That way parries can coexist with stuff like projectiles and excessive blocking is also kept in check.

Kill autoblocking and bury it deep enough so no one can ever reuse it again. No more buffering shoryukens like crazy while on block. Links are already a pain and frame traps become foolish to perform.

Kill stun. For a mechanic that requires a whole meter to work, it adds little to the game.

Isms would be good, but aren't that necessary.

I rather have parries as they were in 3S than none at all, All the haters already got their wish granted in SF4, they can wait until SF6 to have no parries again.
  • CersCers Joined: Posts: 82
    Froztey wrote: »
    An anti-mash mechanic would be interesting. It would NEVER happen, but it would be interesting.

They should get rid of absolute guard to stop the mashing (only when someone is hit with Ultra/Super, the absolute guard should work).

• Spaceninja007Spaceninja007 Joined: Posts: 46
    No alpha counter.
    No custom combos, leave that for the alpha series.
    Faster walk and dash speed. SF4 feels like I'm playing in jello under water.
    Maybe a choice to choose fadc or parry at character select.
    Parry system with CvS2 input and counter mechanics. Cvs2 parry was more real time and tighter, but the counter was instant. You could parry first hit of super hado and upper cut through the rest.
    No air combos. Leave that for Vs.
    For those that hate parry, but want a more zone like system, I think SF4 is pretty zonarific. You see a lot of waltzing back and fourth with no one attacking or jumping. I like SF4, but it's no action in it at times.
  • TrueSephirothTrueSephiroth Joined: Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Absolutey 100% NO To Parries.

No Custom Combos (Only Exception would be Genei-Jin w/ Yun)

Lesser emphasis on Universal Options which would directly improve greater use of Fundamentals.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." - Vince Lombardi

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting - Ryu