Improvements or changes you would like to see in SFV

Comments

• CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,904
    The problem aren't even the Crush Counters.
    It's also not a problem that they're in the neutral.
    That can be fixed by giving them some more recovery on whiff.

The problem is how some CC give dumb reward for what they are.
    Uriens st.hp that allows him to Combo for free anywhere on the screen might be the most prominent one that is problematic.

Unless it's perfectly spaced or in the corner, CC should never give you a full Combo midscreen.

Something like hitting the opponent, then dashing AND walking a bit forward, before doing a coruching HEAVY for a full Combo is way to much.
    Getting some lights in or maybe a special from full distance should be the maximum, unless it's in the corner or perfectly spaced.
    Most CC that grant full Combos don't need spacing nor the corner, they just grant you a full combo midscreen on Top of V-Meter and a shitload of stun.

That said, I'm against nerfing CC like Bisons st.hk. That thing is a CC, +3 on block and leads to a combo basicly anywhere.
    The thing here is Bison is slow as shit and that move doesn't have much range. If the opponent is hit just by the tip, they can be out of range for the df+hp to follow up.
    Most Season 0 Characters have better balanced CC's than the Season 1 cast..
    Cammys and Ryus st.hk's (or Bisons st.hk in form of super slow characters) are probably the best ways to balance the CCs
    They miss crouchers, don't give you full combos unless good spaced (or in the corner), are slightly - and freaking hurt as AA.
    They can literaly AA for 300-500 damage if they happen to CC a jump-in.
    There can never be enough Waifus and I can never have enough of them!!!
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy, Rose
    Guilty Gear: Elphe, Jack-O

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce Capcom cheated on me Joined: Posts: 3,513
    Not even giving more recovery on whiff can help against CC in neutral,because ost of them have a big forward momentum make them not that easy to avoid without playing on defense purposely. I.E. Necalli st.HK can also prevent the opponent jump. I like Cypher thoughts about CC btw, Cammy st.HK is a good tool but isn't a neutral skipping dumb tool, so I'm ok with that.
  • EvansgambitEvansgambit ATOMIC ZANGI Joined: Posts: 751
    Wow. We must be in sync with VA!!!

As a play, Crush Counters have really great expected value.

Granted not as good as pocket Aces, but definitely that EV is +

VA does suggest removal of CC in the video, but that could be too drastic.

Supposedly, time for a few brain farts:

Change up button priority: So that Heavy beats medium, medium beats light, lights beat heavy aka L < M < H < L full circle

But all they really need to do is nerf those that are too good.

Can't wait for SFV: Arcade "Will they touch CC" Edition.

Now, Flame on!
    ATOMIC ZANGI: Body slamming those busters
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 29
    You can't and shouldn't nerf CCs across the board because the value of CCs to each character varies. Bison's design is built around his safe normals, nerfing his CC game isn't the same as nerfing Alex's or Balrog's.

Nerfs should always be calculated and personalized for each character based on their intended battle design.

It goes without saying that Buffs > Nerfs. I would rather characters have more defensive options, and just more options in general - especially the mid and lower tiers than attacking something as systemic as VTs and CCs.
    I FEEL IT WITHIN MY BODY!
  • stronzolostronzolo Joined: Posts: 468
    Isn't the priority system the real problem here? That combined with CC heavies being safe or plus on block?
    stronzolo wrote: »
    Isn't the priority system the real problem here? That combined with CC heavies being safe or plus on block?

It is. Removing the CC on neutral will be easier than modify the priority system.
    Daemos wrote: »
    You can't and shouldn't nerf CCs across the board because the value of CCs to each character varies. Bison's design is built around his safe normals, nerfing his CC game isn't the same as nerfing Alex's or Balrog's.

Nerfs should always be calculated and personalized for each character based on their intended battle design.

It goes without saying that Buffs > Nerfs. I would rather characters have more defensive options, and just more options in general - especially the mid and lower tiers than attacking something as systemic as VTs and CCs.

Bison definitely is one of those characters who benefits immensely from the actual CC mechanic. Atm he's far from the commitment goal Capcom wants to achieve in SFV.
    edited November 29
    NCK_Feroce wrote: »

Bison definitely is one of those characters who benefits immensely from the actual CC mechanic. Atm he's far from the commitment goal Capcom wants to achieve in SFV.

Sure. But my point was that if you wish to rebalance his risk/reward ratios you will also need to compensate, because in cases like his the safe normals and CC mechanic is pivotal to making him viable. He has the slowest walk speed in the game, and most of his specials are optimal or even remotely effective only with EX meter for a reason. Hell his VT is gimped from the get go if you don't have ex meter. Things need to be seen and by extension balanced in full context and not in isolation.

We're not talking about nerfing Urien's S.HP here, a character who has a huge bag of tricks and then some.
    Dime wrote: »
    I like Crush Counters.

Me to. And personally I think they are pretty balanced ATM. The characters with the best CC tend to have major deficiencies in other areas and the characters with the weakest CC tend to have strengths in other areas so it seems to balance out decently. Not perfectly, just decently. Urien CC could probably do with not having a launch on hit and only a st.mp combo. Balrog hk CC could probably not be +3 on block and instead +0... etc etc but they are mostly fine. Urien doesn’t really have pressure outside of his v trigger and has hard to use AA and rog is a charge character so he loses a lot of upclose pressure outside of his st.hk

Doesn’t mean they aren’t a bit overpowered but they aren’t necessarily broken either. Rogs high low is the worst shit about facing him imo for example, and uriens best thing is his trigger. Neither of those things are their CC buttons.

The reason why I like CC is because it’s the only realistic way to punish people for sticking out massive amounts of terribly spaced lights and mediums that wiff and cover the ground against dashes and moves of that nature. CC buttons keep those types of strategies in check and I for one love that because outside of ranged CC there is no real way to do good damage in sf5 outside of telephone booth range.

Rather than destroying footsies, imo CC enables them and makes them actually rewarding for character that don’t necessarily have strong fireballs to compensate.

CC now are used to fill the space between characters on ground, with less risk and high reward. People don't care that much about throwing them in footsies since the worst thing they could get is a combo from lights. With CC you solved the problem of poorly spaced normals, but encouraging the braindead use of heavies. I don't see the problem with fireballs in SFV,everybody and their mothers can go around them without the help of a CC. There's no way CC helps footsies.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,117
    NCK_Feroce wrote: »
    I like Crush Counters.

Me to. And personally I think they are pretty balanced ATM. The characters with the best CC tend to have major deficiencies in other areas and the characters with the weakest CC tend to have strengths in other areas so it seems to balance out decently. Not perfectly, just decently. Urien CC could probably do with not having a launch on hit and only a st.mp combo. Balrog hk CC could probably not be +3 on block and instead +0... etc etc but they are mostly fine. Urien doesn’t really have pressure outside of his v trigger and has hard to use AA and rog is a charge character so he loses a lot of upclose pressure outside of his st.hk

Doesn’t mean they aren’t a bit overpowered but they aren’t necessarily broken either. Rogs high low is the worst shit about facing him imo for example, and uriens best thing is his trigger. Neither of those things are their CC buttons.

The reason why I like CC is because it’s the only realistic way to punish people for sticking out massive amounts of terribly spaced lights and mediums that wiff and cover the ground against dashes and moves of that nature. CC buttons keep those types of strategies in check and I for one love that because outside of ranged CC there is no real way to do good damage in sf5 outside of telephone booth range.

Rather than destroying footsies, imo CC enables them and makes them actually rewarding for character that don’t necessarily have strong fireballs to compensate.

CC now are used to fill the space between characters on ground, with less risk and high reward. People don't care that much about throwing them in footsies since the worst thing they could get is a combo from lights. With CC you solved the problem of poorly spaced normals, but encouraging the braindead use of heavies. I don't see the problem with fireballs in SFV,everybody and their mothers can go around them without the help of a CC. There's no way CC helps footsies.

I don’t agree. And I also think it is more than likely your character choices that shape your particular decision making in this regard. CC are fine strategically. CC in this game gives you a combo that tends to do at most 300 damage meterless and 500 damage metered. Compare this to old school games where something simple like cr.mk xx fireball did about 1/4 life without a counterhit.

That’s when footsies actually mattered because they actually did damage. If you have CC on the ground in sf5 you can actually have a viable strategy for winning without jumping or dashing in. That’s one reason why they encourage footsies. Without them everyone has to rely on projectiles, jumps or wiff buffered mediums and lights to do damage..this of course won’t be enough so the game will essentially become jump based and wiff buttons based.

People that hate CC tend to be players that use stubby ranged limb characters that don’t have strong neutral CC themselves and have other moves to make up for this particular shortcoming, like divekicks or fireballs or really strong anti fireball moves.

But I mean, maybe that’s what people want in the end, a game where the ground isn’t dangerous and is just a war of attrition where people can autopilot safe footsies all day and you win or lose based on a thousand tiny needle pricks.

I guess there is something to be had from that style of gameplay, it wouldn’t be the first capcom title to play that way, but those games rarely last or stay popular. 3s as an example plays this way save for the fact that it is a very high damage game. You get your autopilot footsies... but with damage.

The problem with sf5 is if the CC get neutered the game becomes even lower damage than it already is, and me personally I don’t like that feel. Decisions should have strong consequences for making the wrong ones.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    I don't get it.

How much you win, should depend on how much your willing to bet.

If I play lowball, I don't expect to win big pots.

For me to win big pots. I go ALL IN.

That's the way SFV should be, and Crush Counter shouldn't be an exception.
    edited November 30
    I feel you’re seeing it the other way around. How much you win should also depend on how much your opponent is willing to bet. CC’s capitalize on your opponent’s mistakes more so than rewarding you for how much you yourself are willing to bet.
    Post edited by Daemos on
    The reward of using CC normals in neutral is bigger than the punishment for blocking them. Simple as that. Isn't a punish because "You reach, I teach", but you'll really think using them in that situation comes always after a reasoned decision and not because the risk/reward ratio? Ok.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,265
    I'd prefer to make CC normals easy to punish on block, like sweeps. Increase recovery and/or decrease blockstun.
    I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
    I'd prefer to make CC normals easy to punish on block, like sweeps. Increase recovery and/or decrease blockstun.

I'm good with it. Capcom wants commitment? Then big reward need to come with a big risk involved.
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,665
    edited November 30

I say it should depend, i would rather these normals have a clear distinction in their purpose between these two:

- Neutral
    - Frametrap

A neutral CC normal should be easily punishable on block when badly spaced and have a large enough hurtbox during recovery(extend recovery time too) to make it dangerous to whiff also.
    A frametrap CC normal should be safe but negative and have pretty short range.

Currently there are many CC normals which can be used both in neutral and upclose without much risk.

GGXrdR2: Jam, Baiken
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

People want their ability to hold down back to play the entire game for them...

Makes zero sense. CC are easy to jump over mostly, easy to wiff punish and are the most prone moves to getting CC’d in the first place. That’s a lot of proactive ways to beat them already. You just want the game to play for you for some reason and hand you all the answers. Every move with decent priority in this game people lose their minds and say things like it needs to be punishable on block because they can’t think of proactive solutions to their situation.

It’s just “capcom solve this problem for me”

Gettin' my derp on.
    Remember folks, we're not addressing whether Crush Counters have answers or not, or whether they can be countered.

We're asking whether Capcom would rule it a FAIR system.

I have to applaud them in SFV, that they are willing to address issues on risk/reward after year 1. When they ruled that meterless invincible shoryuu's were too strong, despite imposing a CC penalty.

They just love patching out stuff that is exploitable, to reduce ONE trick ponies.

But it did take them 7 years to finally address the risk/reward of shoryu xx FADC, when they released USF4.

Guess, we'll have to wait till Season 3. But I commend their cutting edge approach to re-balancing.

Hopefully we shouldn't have to wait for 7 years, for the release of Ultra SFV - for them to fix CC reward/risk ratio.

Or is it the input lag, that compounds the CC issue.

Arcade Edition: Justice for Everyone.
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 10,074 mod

Makes zero sense. CC are easy to jump over mostly, easy to wiff punish and are the most prone moves to getting CC’d in the first place. That’s a lot of proactive ways to beat them already. You just want the game to play for you for some reason and hand you all the answers. Every move with decent priority in this game people lose their minds and say things like it needs to be punishable on block because they can’t think of proactive solutions to their situation.

You aren't jumping over 9-14f normals on reaction or some shit why is jumping a counter to CCs lmao

If anything having a jump be the answer you immediately thought of shows how much they remove from the ground game.

"Can't fight the CC? FUCK NEUTRAL, JUMP."
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,420 mod
    CCs are stupid because they were made without understanding how footsies are played. You get counterhit all the time playing footsies in regular SF games for a number of reasons. Taking a common thing and turning it into a 300 damage spectacle is awful design.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • NG1313NG1313 Joined: Posts: 1,575
    edited December 1
    CCs are what makes SFV a realistic fighting game where there's the constant risk of taking one on the nose or in the groin.
    Or is it the input lag, that compounds the CC issue.

But the input lag really needs to be reduced.

In unison with the shoryuken nerfs I think it's only fair that special moves or anything save critical arts don't have frame 1 fireball invulnerability. I'm so tired of that..
    "Forbidden"? Not today! Shoryuken!!!
    Froztey wrote: »

You aren't jumping over 9-14f normals on reaction or some shit why is jumping a counter to CCs lmao

If anything having a jump be the answer you immediately thought of shows how much they remove from the ground game.

"Can't fight the CC? FUCK NEUTRAL, JUMP."

I literally gave 3 separate and distinct ways to beat CC.

Gettin' my derp on.
    edited December 1
    I literally gave 3 separate and distinct ways to beat CC.

Well. Proactively, you can beat EVERYTHING in this game! I agree with you there.

But I strongly disagree with you, when you mention that Crush Counters are easy to whiff punish.
    Especially when they are used as a defensive line.
    And even on offence, with the current input lag, can be difficult.

Reducing the input lag helps. But I think redesigning Crush Counters, to have HUGE recovery hurtboxes would be ideal.
    You know, so that even a 3 year old, can whiff punish them. =)
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,295
    Making CCs unsafe on block would turn them into "once every two matches" gimmicks. They are like the only consistent way to do decent damage outside V-trigger. Anyone suggesting their utter nerfing better suggest other damage alternatives that aren't connect multiple roundhouses during neutral footsies.

SFV already struggles at making character gameplays unique and adding a sweeping nerf that homogenizes the use of CCs across the cast won't do it any favors. Some characters are bound to have better CCs than others and that means some of them are going to be top notch and that's good. Urien's has a unstable neutral and won't be bulldozing his way in if you're reacting with buttons at the right (and achievable) moments. St HP will get him some bonus damage but the rate of success is low enough the other player should be getting more damage consistently in the long run (at least until Urien gets V-Trigger but that's another story).

Like the ONLY acceptable nerf to CCs would be to give them 2-3 more recovery frames with forward extended hurtbox but adding equal blockstun so on block you merely lose your turn but on whiff it becomes easier to punish with sweep or medium / fierce cancel into special.
    learis1 wrote: »
    It seems rather odd to suggest universal nerfs for CC's. They're normals that are unique to each character, with unique ranges, frame data, and so on. Adding to that, they play greater and lesser roles for each character (Ryu for example isn't as big on CC's compared to others imo). Suggesting that all CC's have a certain negative on block amount, or that they should all have hurtbox adjustments is like saying that they're all practically the same.

If anything, they should all be looked at on a case by case basis.

Nah that would require actually thinking and studying matters before taking selective action.

Let's make sweeping generalizations and hope for the best instead.

Nah that would require actually thinking and studying matters before taking selective action.

Thats pretty much every balance (or change) suggestion for SFV this far since release.
    I don't think that this will change even a bit.

At least we can be happy that Dimes balance ideas will never make it into the game.

My SFV Cammyguide!
    Cipher wrote: »

Thats pretty much every balance (or change) suggestion for SFV this far since release.
    I don't think that this will change even a bit.

At least we can be happy that Dimes balance ideas will never make it into the game.

Dimes balance ideas have already made it into the game. Egg on your face, idiot :lol:
    Gettin' my derp on.

Dimes balance ideas have already made it into the game. Egg on your face, idiot :lol:

Explains why Season 2 is generaly considerd to be unbalanced and worse than Season 1.
    Good work, your suggestion do realy suck.

My SFV Cammyguide!
    edited December 1

Explains why Season 2 is generaly considerd to be unbalanced and worse than Season 1.
    Good work, your suggestion do realy suck.

The people that cry about season 2 are also the ones that cried about season 1. And their cries came through with the chun nerfs and everyone else buffs because that’s what the people asked for.

I wasn’t asking for chun nerfs or everyone else buffs so.... try again! Have a nice day!

Also, you said my balance ideas will never make it into the game.. when they already have! Then after being completely dead wrong, you try and save face by saying “oh well um... er.... they were BAD IDEAS”

You are a dumb, ignorant child that can’t handle being wrong and not getting his own way and people disagreeing with him.

Sorry if I can’t take you or your insults any kind of seriously, you would have to at least attempt an adult attitude for that to happen.

You dc’ing all my posts is a badge of honor at this point because it means the idiot doesn’t agree with me.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    So you basicly say your ideas made it into the game, by running with the masses?

Great option select.

Sorry but you lost the last creditability as you said I went for the insults, you're the one who started with the insults.
    I don't think much about someone whos ideology is to monologe with himself, talk around the topic and make completly pointles suggestions for Balance.
    Or even better trys sell what others wrote as his idea to make himself look better.

I mean it was hard to take anything you wrote serious after you said SFIV was a perfect recreation of SF2.

You play a decent game here, but this whole fassade is a joke, full of inconsistency and holes.
    Anyways, I keep getting some laughs from your texts.
    So keep enjoying these "badges of honor".

My SFV Cammyguide!

So you're why the game is shit? Wouldn't be all that hype about that TBH.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 10,074 mod
    It says something when the balance ideas of a super bronze become reality
  • p1nkt1t5p1nkt1t5 Joined: Posts: 658
    Pertho wrote: »
    CCs are stupid because they were made without understanding how footsies are played. You get counterhit all the time playing footsies in regular SF games for a number of reasons. Taking a common thing and turning it into a 300 damage spectacle is awful design.

Ha!

Though, it is alot better than nibbling on your opponents health bar.
    SFV: Cammy, Yun
    SF4: Yun

1HC to Super Makes SFV Satisfactory

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-TOpukQ

When I Miss, Salt >:(

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-miss-Y4J9bL
    edited December 2

Sorry but you lost the last creditability as you said I went for the insults, you're the one who started with the insults.".

Sorry but the posting pattern shows that you were the one DCing all my posts with reference to balance, then you said as much in the general thread “this is why I automatically DC any of dimes posts on balance as a matter of fact” that’s an insult. All the DC’s are insults, “at least we can be happy that none of Dimes balance ideas will make it into the game” Is an insult.

So spare me your “bleeding-heart-fall-on-your-sword-you’re-the-one-being-persecuted-here” bullshit.

I speak my mind and you are free to speak yours and oppose me in whatever fashion on this forum you want that is within the rules I presume, but don’t expect me to be civil with you when you are the one that broke civility.

As for the game being bad now... y’all said the game was bad then. You will probably continue to say the game is bad in season 3. Idc, I say the game is bad as well. But I’m not a hypocrite about it. The game has good points and bad points.

As for me following the masses I was pretty much the only one in here pointing out the balance discrepancy between meterless and metered invincible reversals... I followed no one. Some people agreed with me, most didn’t. The developers obviously already had this plan in mind and it was easy to see coming if you looked at guile and rog.

But I think the developers listen to the people on Capcom unity at least a bit, and though I haven’t been there in years I’m pretty sure those people all want meterless invincible reversals back seeing as to how probably around 80% of them are shoto players.

So, if not this season coming, then maybe next season or the one after that, invincible reversals may be back in some way shape or form... and maybe not. I don’t know what Capcom is going to do so... yeah.

So you're why the game is shit? Wouldn't be all that hype about that TBH.

Don’t blame me, blame Capcom unity and kotaku most likely. Capcom listens to the masses when they bother listening at all.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    p1nkt1t5 wrote: »

Except she needs meter to do that. If you want to know how dumb CCs are, watch chun match footage and every time somebody gets counter hit by either her back fierce or standing fierce, that shit takes away a third of a life bar.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

I speak my mind and you are free to speak yours and oppose me in whatever fashion on this forum you want that is within the rules I presume, but don’t expect me to be civil with you when you are the one that broke civility.

Then why are you acting like a I have stolen your lunch?

I just tell you, that your opinion is bad and you have to deal with it.
    And now deal with it.

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • p1nkt1t5p1nkt1t5 Joined: Posts: 658
    p1nkt1t5 wrote: »

Except she needs meter to do that. If you want to know how dumb CCs are, watch chun match footage and every time somebody gets counter hit by either her back fierce or standing fierce, that shit takes away a third of a life bar.

Except sfv does not build meter like sf3 to do that. The damage has to come from somewhere :shrug:
    SFV: Cammy, Yun
    SF4: Yun

1HC to Super Makes SFV Satisfactory

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-TOpukQ

When I Miss, Salt >:(

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-miss-Y4J9bL

I just tell you, that your opinion is bad and you have to deal with it.

I’m fine with you thinking that way. I feel the same way about your opinions :)
    Gettin' my derp on.