Improvements or changes you would like to see in SFV

Comments

• ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,689
    Use Steamworks for the game and allow cross platform play with PS4
  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Nyan-ko. Joined: Posts: 404
    edited December 2014
    A super select system where you can choose between having two attack super moves or a single "effect" super move (kind of like Genei Jin or Tanden Renki).

I'll back the end of 1F links. Those are crap.

Option selects don't really hurt the metagame. They can stay.

I want to wish for no comeback mechanics but that seems like a pipe dream.

Engine-wise an increase in game pace, better jumping physics (KoF XIII's air movement clicked much more with me than SF4's), and a more comfortable footsie game (something about the way SF4 does footsies irks me and feels awkward, closer in style to CvS2 would be best) would all be great.
    I'm a tryhard, big deal. I don't see why you care.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes You dun fked it up Capcom. Again. Joined: Posts: 7,068
    Either Isms OR 3rd Strike Super select. Didn't Ono want to emphasize "My Ryu is different from your Ryu" with SFxT? THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE.
  • Data BeastData Beast Joined: Posts: 591
    Absolutey 100% NO To Parries.

No Custom Combos (Only Exception would be Genei-Jin w/ Yun)

Lesser emphasis on Universal Options which would directly improve greater use of Fundamentals.
    This.

The only universal defensive mechanic that Street Fighter needs is block.

• UCFinishUCFinish Tim Joined: Posts: 109
    a game that's fun.
    Video games aren't supposed to make you feel miserable.
    UCFinish wrote: »
    a game that's fun.

Is that meant to be a slight against something else...?
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,668
    Gonna paste my post from the other thread here:

I wonder what kind of crazy system mechanic we'll get this time. I actually really like the FADC mechanic for use in extending combos/applying pressure, so I hope something similar comes back (and no canceling reversals). Focus itself can die in a fire though. Given me and tons of players bad habits.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
    Gonna paste my post from the other thread here:

I wonder what kind of crazy system mechanic we'll get this time. I actually really like the FADC mechanic for use in extending combos/applying pressure, so I hope something similar comes back (and no canceling reversals). Focus itself can die in a fire though. Given me and tons of players bad habits.

I've never been fond of moves that exist to create custom cancels but I did like what FADCs brought to the poking game (being able to FADC if a footsie goes wrong). Not so much for making things safe but rather rewarding players who are perceptive enough to catch a mistake.
  • FrozteyFroztey That British Dude Joined: Posts: 7,928
    Either Isms OR 3rd Strike Super select. Didn't Ono want to emphasize "My Ryu is different from your Ryu" with SFxT? THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE.

OOOO I want isms back, they were dope as hell!

CFN - Froztey
    PSN - daFRZT
    BattleNet - Froztey#2545
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    - More links, less chains (chains preferably being character specific).
    No thanks. You have fun with that.

• ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,689
    1) Make sure Akuma and Gouken's themes are correct

2) Ken's hair
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    edited December 2014
    SenninSRK wrote: »
    Make it play nothing like SF4.
    Wait... You're back?!

• SenninSRKSenninSRK The Forever One! Joined: Posts: 3,191
    Lemres wrote: »
    SenninSRK wrote: »
    Make it play nothing like SF4.
    Wait... You're back?!

I have been for quite awhile.
  • metallicabandmetallicaband DP & A TELEPORT ?!! Joined: Posts: 2,330

aww links too hard for you and you want to mash buttons instead?
    Shin Akuma V-Trigger Kreygasm, make it happen Capcom .
    Vanilla SF4 > AE 2012: Main: Akuma | Alt: Bison

Links are okay, it's the 1F variety that should be done away with.
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,172
    Personally, if they are gonna keep the four sections of super bar, I would like if characters started with half a super bar full in the first round.
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
  • Darkcloud20Darkcloud20 Joined: Posts: 58
    -Faster walk speed
    -Guard meter
    -No Ultras (or a toned down comeback mechanic since we all know there's gonna be one).
    -Smaller reversal window (2-3 frames)
    -Less input leniency (I know you gotta have some leniency, but SF4 is too much. Shouldn't be able to buffer DPs while crouching).

Also, please get Satoshi Ise or Hideki Okugawa to do the soundtrack.
  • FrozteyFroztey That British Dude Joined: Posts: 7,928

Links are okay, it's the 1F variety that should be done away with.

1fs and plinking should be removed. I could argue about why for hours but all-in-all 1fs are barely ever actually performed as 1fs anyway, a-la plinking. Just remove both.

CFN - Froztey
    PSN - daFRZT
    BattleNet - Froztey#2545
  • ChriztophChriztoph Joined: Posts: 45
    edited December 2014
    - no more plinking
    - no more option select
    - no input shortcuts
    - no 50/50's or unblockables
    - no kara throws
    - Anti-airs should look anti air. (no low profile low kick anti airs)
    Wish list:
    - The same combos work on each character
    -Trials for every character with the best bnb combos
    -Better tutorial that teaches you most everything about SF and fighting games
    -Make it easier to watch replays of your favorite players
    Edit: -Filter lobbies by ping
    - SFxTK roll
    - Alpha-counters
    - parrying
    - shorter block string combos
    - Easier to piano
    Post edited by Chriztoph on
  • Jazz catJazz cat Joined: Posts: 239
    1 frame links, plinking, option selects etc, these are not a design feature added by capcom that can simply be removed, they are quirks of manipulating the game system, found after release by players. Yes they could spend a lot of time doing things like making sure a character has no move advantage that is the same amount of frames as another moves startup (1 fr link) but that would be incredibly arbitrary and flys in the face of balancing being the primary concern.

And option selects?! Are you guys fucking nuts? Here's an example: removing this would mean you could no longer cancel on hit. Eg. Ryu could no longer c.mk x hadouken. OR he could cancel it on whiff as well. Either way would so vastly change street fighter as we know it and characters like Ryu would have their game changed in major ways.

SFIV's inspiration from SF2 that worked so well is it's simple system, and it's slower pace is a feature imo. SFIV is probably the most chess-like of all the SF games, regardless of which is your favorite.

My dream SFV would have a smaller cast that NEVER grows to over 30 in it's lifetime.
    No parries. Either keep focus attacks or evolve them to maintain their balance of risk/reward
    Keep the same pace as SFIV or slow it down. Keep it a showcase of skill, strategy and psychology. Not just reactions and youth.
    No more non footsie, gamble based characters. No fuertes, seths or vipers please. More 'boring' shotos, more pokers, more grapplers, more hybrids. Less shenanigan based play.
    Lastly, a reworking of charge characters. Rethink which moves really need to be charge and rethink their charge time. Eg. Chun li doesn't deserve to be charge based but her u1 most certainly does.
    Australian PSN eh?
  • fohstickfohstick Joined: Posts: 336
    edited December 2014
    GGPO netcode
    real-time ping graph in the lobby
    filter lobbies by ping
    cross-platform play between the ps4 and pc
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,230
    edited December 2014
    Bring back parries. It's a good mechanic. Works doubly well with small fast fireballs.

Ditch the stupid " wooshing dramatic camera angle" bullshit during ultra freeze, or at least make it so that the timer freezes when they're happening.

Ditch ultras entirely. Comeback mechanics make the game a joke.

Make a female grappler character who is an actual grappler, not focused on rushdown or resets or some other stupid gimmicks.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Cers wrote: »
    Froztey wrote: »
    An anti-mash mechanic would be interesting. It would NEVER happen, but it would be interesting.

They should get rid of absolute guard to stop the mashing (only when someone is hit with Ultra/Super, the absolute guard should work).

The only way to do this would be to remove how true blockstrings work. I don't think there is any absolute guard, it's simply that if a second move hits you while you are still in blockstun frames from the first, you keep blocking because you don't have any frames to change your action or do anything.
    Australian PSN eh?
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    A lot of great ideas here. I agree that I don't want to see parries ever again.

I also hope charge characters don't get the short end of the stick.
    filter lobbies by ping <- THIS
    Jazz cat wrote: »
    1 frame links, plinking, option selects etc, these are not a design feature added by capcom that can simply be removed, they are quirks of manipulating the game system, found after release by players. Yes they could spend a lot of time doing things like making sure a character has no move advantage that is the same amount of frames as another moves startup (1 fr link) but that would be incredibly arbitrary and flys in the face of balancing being the primary concern.

And option selects?! Are you guys fucking nuts? Here's an example: removing this would mean you could no longer cancel on hit. Eg. Ryu could no longer c.mk x hadouken. OR he could cancel it on whiff as well. Either way would so vastly change street fighter as we know it and characters like Ryu would have their game changed in major ways.

It's a new game! Anything is possible. Keep in normal cancels but take out option selects. If you press jab and roundhouse together roundhouse should always have precedence and come out whether or not they stand in your face or backdash. In the current state it will just choose whichever one will hit. Which gives a distinct advantage to players who study option selects. The game should be skill based not so much knowledge based.

Also I think 1 frame links should stay in and take out plinking. Then when you see someone doing 1 frame links you know they are pro and put tons of hours into practice. It's super hype when you see someone doing straight up one frame links in a tourney. They shouldn't be mandatory for a character though so scrubs like me can still have a chance.
  • Spaceninja007Spaceninja007 Joined: Posts: 46
    Cvs2 parry mechanic. At the least make the parry an option. On or off. Like when you play USF4 online and it ask region and more skilled, add parry.
  • Spaceninja007Spaceninja007 Joined: Posts: 46
    Oh yea, parry.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,549 mod

SFIV's inspiration from SF2 that worked so well is it's simple system, and it's slower pace is a feature imo. SFIV is probably the most chess-like of all the SF games, regardless of which is your favorite.

My dream SFV would have a smaller cast that NEVER grows to over 30 in it's lifetime.
    No parries. Either keep focus attacks or evolve them to maintain their balance of risk/reward
    Keep the same pace as SFIV or slow it down. Keep it a showcase of skill, strategy and psychology. Not just reactions and youth.
    No more non footsie, gamble based characters. No fuertes, seths or vipers please. More 'boring' shotos, more pokers, more grapplers, more hybrids. Less shenanigan based play.
    Lastly, a reworking of charge characters. Rethink which moves really need to be charge and rethink their charge time. Eg. Chun li doesn't deserve to be charge based but her u1 most certainly does.
    Games like ST and 3S show that you can have that without having to slow the game down.

You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

d3v wrote: »
    Games like ST and 3S show that you can have that without having to slow the game down.

Not exactly. You will have skill and strategy no matter how fast is is BUT you will have more reward for reactions and less reward for the finer details of strategy as you increase the speed. Taking it to it's slowest point, you get chess. Where there is an infinite time to react, reactions don't count for anything and strategy counts for EVERYTHING.
    Australian PSN eh?
    Chriztoph wrote: »
    It's a new game! Anything is possible. Keep in normal cancels but take out option selects. If you press jab and roundhouse together roundhouse should always have precedence and come out whether or not they stand in your face or backdash. In the current state it will just choose whichever one will hit. Which gives a distinct advantage to players who study option selects. The game should be skill based not so much knowledge based.

Also I think 1 frame links should stay in and take out plinking. Then when you see someone doing 1 frame links you know they are pro and put tons of hours into practice. It's super hype when you see someone doing straight up one frame links in a tourney. They shouldn't be mandatory for a character though so scrubs like me can still have a chance.

If you hit jab and roundhouse, the game doesn't exactly 'choose which will hit'. It works because light attacks can cancel into eachother as chains. If a light hits, then it cancels into the second jab that has been input. It can't cancel into the roundhouse. If the jab doesn't hit, then the next input happens after the jabs recovery and the roundhouse comes out because it takes priority.

If you leave in normal cancels and leave it that they can't be cancelled on whiff. You have just left option selects in the game. You can't have it both ways.

Option selects aren't a system or game mechanic really, they are the results of other game mechanics and systems working together.
    Australian PSN eh?
  • GMR4LOIFGMR4LOIF Joined: Posts: 58
    remove grabs. Command grabs only. so tired of constant grabing from online players because its hard to tech online even if you know what you're doing. just remove that shit completely.
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,665
    edited December 2014
    Chriztoph wrote: »
    - Anti-airs should look anti air. (no low profile low kick anti airs)
    But what are trip guards
    Post edited by TheBlackHombre on
  • Maria CroftMaria Croft Joined: Posts: 910
    They should definitely keep it simple.

A million different game mechanics may look flashy, but that will only make it harder to get into the game, especially for newcomers.
  • ZoopZoopZoopZoop Joined: Posts: 51
    Were all these people going on about parries when the SFIV teaser dropped? Jesus Christ.
  • AntiochliAntiochli I throw blue balls of Fire. Joined: Posts: 148
    @ZoopZoop‌

Seriously! Jesus H. Christ . . .

I'm hopeful that a new universal mechanic can be thought of that isn't just a rehash of Focus Attack, Parry etc.

Or no universal mechanic.

The thing is, the franchise needs to evolve in some way beyond Street Fighter II. I would say the Alphas and Street Fighter III did effectively change the mold of the games while still remaining true to the fundamentals of the franchise. But I don't think Capcom should just piece meal things from older games to make something “new“.

I really hope they go back to the drawing board and endeavour to create a deep fighting game. The problem is, how many minor tweeks to the formula can you make before the consumer just say's, “This is just the same thing over and over again, the same game we've been playing for twenty years.“? It's a pretty cynical view, and not necesssrily mine, but in a way, most fighting game franchises are just the same core game with minor tweeks to the overall package. In a way Street Fighter II is Street Fighter, everything else is a re-imagining of the same thing.

So, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by Street Fighter V, but in a way, I just want a brand new Street Fighter IV. Something new.
    Lucky for us all, that's not the case.
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,397

Not exactly. You will have skill and strategy no matter how fast is is BUT you will have more reward for reactions and less reward for the finer details of strategy as you increase the speed. Taking it to it's slowest point, you get chess. Where there is an infinite time to react, reactions don't count for anything and strategy counts for EVERYTHING.

Strategy still counts for everything, even when the game is fast. Fast and methodical is just as good as slow and methodical.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • SenninSRKSenninSRK The Forever One! Joined: Posts: 3,191

This is false actually.

The sluggish speed in SF4 was only included to accommodate the casual non-fighting game players the game intended to net. With speed it's still very much possible to base reactions off strategic judgments and fine details. The only difference is that you're just required to do this at a faster rate meaning you need a sharper mind and more focus per match. I always found it a lot more easier to wonder off mentally while playing SF4 just due to how long it took for everything to play out.
    Yes, the better player will win regardless of speed but my statement is simple logic: The faster the speed, the more it benefits the player with faster reactions, the more it factors into who wins the match. When there is no speed (eg. turn based), the win is determined %100 by other factors like strategy and reads, with any speed increase, a proportion of what determines the outcome goes to reactions. How can anyone deny that? I'm not saying the game should become turn based. I'm just saying i like where the series is currently at with pace, it's a good balance.

Not being one of the younger posters around here and having seen how reactions go downhill with age, i'd like seeing it not become a young man's game! :)
    Australian PSN eh?
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,036
    also it sounds like 70% of this thread wants to play ST

did you know you can still play ST?? there's not even parries in it! think of all the fireballs you can throw.
    GMR4LOIF wrote: »
    remove grabs. Command grabs only. so tired of constant grabing from online players because its hard to tech online even if you know what you're doing. just remove that shit completely.

Isn't that more the fault of the netcode? In an equal environment (i.e. offline) throws are an effective pressure tool. You need something to force your opponent to not block (unless you were proposing giving every character a command throw).
  • CersCers Joined: Posts: 82
    Cers wrote: »
    Froztey wrote: »
    An anti-mash mechanic would be interesting. It would NEVER happen, but it would be interesting.

They should get rid of absolute guard to stop the mashing (only when someone is hit with Ultra/Super, the absolute guard should work).

The only way to do this would be to remove how true blockstrings work. I don't think there is any absolute guard, it's simply that if a second move hits you while you are still in blockstun frames from the first, you keep blocking because you don't have any frames to change your action or do anything.

But my point is that you have to hold back to block. If you release it you will get hit.
    The SFIII series has no absolute guard btw.
  • Zio_NameZio_Name Joined: Posts: 342
    All the Parry Hate ç_ç
  • LuppyLuptoniumLuppyLuptonium Entertainer Supreme. Joined: Posts: 237
    I want to see ultra select go away but still keeping multiple ultras. I am always a fan of more options all around though.
    I wish I had a pencil thin mustache...
  • Yusuke_The_DetectiveYusuke_The_Detective Life's a fleeting dream, don't let it go. Joined: Posts: 2,136
    edited December 2014

Links are fine, but the game can't be as goddamm slow as 4. I don't have as much trouble hitting links in any other game as I do 4. I say less links so it DOESN'T play like 4.
    Get rid of Ultras, and comeback Mechanics.
    Make the game faster.
    Get Okugawa and Satoshi Ise on that soundtrack.
    Charge partitioning
    As much as I love parrying I don't think the should put it in the game.
    Guard Meter
    Make Anti airs not suck balls

You gotta make the most of it you know.