Net code discussion. Rollback confirmed!

Comments

• detekniciandeteknician Fish Bar Zombie Joined: Posts: 367
    I used to play Lounge matches against my friends all the time with no problems. Since the maintenance this is no longer possible. All lounge matches are garbage. What's weird is I ran into my friend in Ranked 2 minutes after giving up on the Lounge cause of lag and had zero problems in Ranked. Tried Lounge again and went back to sh*t.
    - an option select is that thing krys does when he checks which bathroom to use at the fish market

• ZenisideZeniside Joined: Posts: 2,988
    I do not know if it is people rage quitting after the world screen or the servers acting up as it has given the 40002 error a few times causing me not to be able to play the match.
  • danimedanime dat swede. Joined: Posts: 174
    edited March 2016
    Net code wise this game has been horrible for me. The only time it seemed to work well was at launch week, strange enough. At first I thought "Wow, this is amazing. It's just like playing offline!". Really went downhill since then. For a few weeks now, I think I've had somewhat lag free matches vs maybe two people. I made a topic here on SRK on how Battle Lounge was pretty much unplayable for me and after that I went back to ranked/casual, but it was the same thing there, more or less but perhaps a little bit better than Lounge. I live in Sweden and only play against people from Europe with 5 bar connections. Really frustrating when SF4 worked just fine for me.

I want to like the game for the core gameplay, but it's getting harder and harder...
    Tu-tu-ruu~ Danime desu!
  • GeckolimusGeckolimus Joined: Posts: 155
    Perhaps you need to talk to your ISP and make sure your network setting is correct.
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,777
    It's not certain ISP's or routers or any of that bullshit. That is called an excuse. It's not 1 or 2 people having issues. It's like 1/2 of the community with randomly different issues.

I too used to think the netcode was great (and still do when I am in a good connection) but I've also noticed weird shit like dropped inputs and stuff, even in good connections. I didn't notice that when the game launched, but it could also have been because I was in the honey moon phase and thought I was just missing inputs and shit.
  • Soul7Soul7 Joined: Posts: 485
    The net code is really good. Much better than SFIV.
    I hope it stays this way & other games such as T7 FR & KOF XIV are as good.
    Want Arika (a.k.a SF EX) characters in SF5?
    Like this page: https://www.facebook.com/ArikaCharactersForStreetFighterV
    Or Sign this Petition: https://www.change.org/p/yoshinori-ono-team-street-fighter-v-petition-arika-characters-for-street-fighter-v
    Petition for Capcom to buy the Arika characters' license in order to hopefully include some as DLC in SFV.
  • DeonbekendeDeonbekende Joined: Posts: 3
    Before the patch : Almost no rollback
    After the patch : Impossible to play

I hate patch day.
  • MisterManMisterMan Joined: Posts: 81
    Seems like most people I run into are using Wi-Fi instead of using a cable connection. It's driving me bonkers. If the bars fluctuate between 3-5 bars, that's pretty much a dead giveaway.

So please, anyone reading this: Stop using wireless. Fighting games aren't meant to be played wireless.

Sure, maybe the guy using wireless isn't seeing the same lag as their opponent. That's a potential situation. But regardless, wireless is horrible for Street Fighter.
  • pootnanniespootnannies mr. negative Joined: Posts: 3,145
    edited March 2016
    what bars, in the lounge? i wouldn't trust that at all. sometimes full bars are terrible on there. the lounge is fucked up and needs a proper update rather than 8 man lobbies, like much faster updates of where the host is from, his connection, and if the lounge is full or not. wi-fi sucks but some people don't have a choice. for those that do i hope they read these threads and change.

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
  • qspecqspec Joined: Posts: 301
    Before the patch : Almost no rollback
    After the patch : Impossible to play

I hate patch day.

Really? Mine has been the opposite problem. Even forcing the connection to 5, I'd still get rollback pre-patch. Post-patch, I've had literally 0 issues with rollback. It is likely still way too early to tell, but so far the experience is better for me, not worse.

That said, I do recommend everyone force the connection to 4 or 5. It solves a ton of issues by itself.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,532
    What is this patch you are talking about?
    I haven't seen a single fucking patch since release.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • T20thoughtsT20thoughts Shurororororo! Joined: Posts: 1,604
    They're talking about the recent server maintenance.

Having played for a while now, and gotten up into Super/Ultra Silver, I'm definitely noticing slight actual lag. I've had a few instances where I know I was already holding downback when I got hit by a low after a jumpin, and there was no rollback. Unless the game engine's weird about these things.
  • danimedanime dat swede. Joined: Posts: 174
    Thought I had gotten it fixed after restarting router and opening a bunch of ports for SF5, as I had some really good matches afterwards. It still seems quite hit and miss though, with ranked/casual being better than lounge for the most part, but still random. So it's probably more about who you play (duh, of course, but they're all 5 bar). Country flags and bars seem to pop up more for me now, but that also seems random between searches. The thing that seems really retarded to me, especially with how poorly country/bars work in lounge, is that we can't filter by region anymore. It's so tedious to go through different lobbies to check where the host is from and when I'm hosting I have to sit and kick US/Japan players for a good while.

I spend so much more time not playing matches in 5, compared to 4. I really hope they do more to lounge than just adding 8 player lobbies, which is something I don't personally use anyway. Maybe it will get more people to battle lounge, which seems quite empty to me when I search, but I doubt it in its current state.
    Tu-tu-ruu~ Danime desu!
  • fischbsfischbs stop that Joined: Posts: 1,175
    Rollback is better after patch now for me but the jury is still out, I think I'm just getting lucky.
    You can use BBCode in your post. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Yeah I think I was just getting lucky, I mean it seems better but I still get plenty of shitty "5 bar" matches. Very frustrating.
    I think they fixed the desync but really broadened what a five bar connection is. Everyone is probably searching only for 5 bar because of the desync issue so Capcom feels like they have to broaden what 5 bar is or else no one will find matches that fast.
  • HennesyHufflepufHennesyHufflepuf Joined: Posts: 11
    I've noticed it too. Before the patch, I could have it set to search for 4-5 bar connections and get quality matches. Now, I have to set it to 5 bars only. Anything less than that sucks now. I even had one match freeze at the win screen. :(
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,931
    One problem I've been happen since the Monday update.

After a match in battle lounge where you select to play again(in a first to 3 for example) the timer will rundown ever though both players agreed to play again and freeze for about 30 seconds the kick us back to the lounge.

It was crazy annoying last night. One player is on PC the other on ps4. I haven't tried to recreate this ps4 to ps4
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • HennesyHufflepufHennesyHufflepuf Joined: Posts: 11
    I've actually had that same problem happen to me in ranked. Only once though
  • DRCsyntaxDRCsyntax The Ugly Joined: Posts: 1,032
    I've really started to discount playing against PC players; they can have a 5bar connection and the game will still constantly lag and have warping.
    http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html
    Please read this and understand why it is, that you suck.
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 4,364
    edited April 2016
    DRCsyntax wrote: »
    I've really started to discount playing against PC players; they can have a 5bar connection and the game will still constantly lag and have warping.
    funny, same thing happens with ps4 player. (iam on pc)
    maybe there is a desync between both platforms which causes the issue with all the mini rollbacks and warpings.

I don't think any particular platform is the problem, I don't have issues with crossplay. Sometimes I have bad matches against PS4, sometimes PC, sometimes they're both great.
  • StreetfarterfiveStreetfarterfive Joined: Posts: 50
    Please stop saying SFIV netcode was better. Just because Capcom hasn't implemented visual rollback protection properly doesn't mean its worse.

lol what? We should compare what it IS, not what it potentially could be. If something thinks they implemented it poorly (which they definitely did) it's a completely valid opinion to say sfiv had a better netcode.

Matches in SFiv that were a little laggy meant the game had an input delay, but it at least felt like street fighter still. "
    One single hit confirm that rolls back to a block animation completely breaks sfv and makes playing it entirely not worthwhile.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,741
    Please stop saying SFIV netcode was better. Just because Capcom hasn't implemented visual rollback protection properly doesn't mean its worse.

lol what? We should compare what it IS, not what it potentially could be. If something thinks they implemented it poorly (which they definitely did) it's a completely valid opinion to say sfiv had a better netcode.

Matches in SFiv that were a little laggy meant the game had an input delay, but it at least felt like street fighter still. "
    One single hit confirm that rolls back to a block animation completely breaks sfv and makes playing it entirely not worthwhile.

As opposed to not being able to confirm at all in sf4 delay or do things like reactive anti airs or reactively block ibuki neckbreakers. I'll take the occasional rollback over massive delay any day.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    Dime_x wrote: »

As opposed to not being able to confirm at all in sf4 delay or do things like reactive anti airs or reactively block ibuki neckbreakers. I'll take the occasional rollback over massive delay any day.

And that's your opinion, based on your experience. I personally had no trouble confirming or anti airing in sf4, in general.

The point is that the opinion the SF4 netcode > SF5 netcode is an entirely valid one. I actually think sf5 would be a better game with sf4s netcode, especially since they removed one frame links and even remotely difficult combos, you'd still be able to do your combos even in a laggy game.
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,931
    Lol
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
    SF4 netcode was ass, lord have mercy. I get salty as fuck at SFV's bullshit half baked unfinished bare bones as fuck netcode just as much as the next dude but fuck delay netcode in the butt.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,207
    I remember a time for the best part of nearly 7 years when mostly everyone on srk defended Sf4's netcode. And whenever anyone said that it sucked they were just told: "Get better internet". Lol.

I gotta say though. As someone who has already dropped sf5 and has just been coming to this part of the forums as a mere fly on the wall, it's hilarious to see that more and more people are beginning to have the same problems I was having even since most of the betas. I don't see how you guys continue to deal with it.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• WOKMANWOKMAN 御託はいい、はじめよう。 Joined: Posts: 1,155
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    There's no doubt PS4 to PS4 is where it's at. How is PC to PC? I'll be able to test next week. Ill have both versions.

Generally fine. Most of my laggy matches are PC to PS4(I'm on PC). I concluded that it was the PS4 players using wifi, but maybe it is an issue with the crossplay.

Likewise but it's vice versa for me. I was assuming that there was fuckery involving lag switches. Noticed my matches start getting funny everytime I get in on an opponent.
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Usually in ranked I only play 4-5 bars and it's been very consistent for me. The only time I feel the connection is bad is when I try to play people far from NY.

A bad connection regardless of the netcode is going to suck. Get off wireless and try to play people within a reasonable distance.

I find it pretty hard to believe that people are praising the sf4 netcode. Input lag is the worst thing for fighters. People talking about adapting to it is fucking hilarious.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,857 mod
    Lol Scoot we remember those CVS2 EO days. I was already done with input code even back then. Crazy it took 13 years to get rollback in a mainstream SF title.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• RugalitarianRugalitarian B-tier for Beautiful Joined: Posts: 3,903
    This netcode sucks. It only works well when it feels like it, and crossplay? Forget that shit.
    all chun liz moevs go thru vegz
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Joined: Posts: 476
    This netcode sucks. It only works well when it feels like it, and crossplay? Forget that shit.
    It works well when the opponent gets stuck with all the lag.

And the matchmaking is super inconsistent. Even setting it to 5 bar only doesn't help. Hell, I've set it to PC only and still gotten paired with people on PS4. Something is wrong with it.

Fuck you Capcom. Fuck you for this stupid ass netcode, and fuck you for creating more set play characters like Mika and Laura.

Fuck you Capcom. Fuck you for this stupid ass netcode, and fuck you for creating more set play characters like Mika and Laura.

Yea say what you will about SF4s netcode but at least even when it was shitty, it was equally shitty for both players. This one player getting butter smooth and the other getting teleport fighter 5 completely breaks the game.
    Obviously crossplay is going to have some glitches. You can't expect crossplay to not have glitches on launch especially when it's new territory for Capcom. Killer Instinct had desynching issues for a long while too and issues with innocent people going to jail when they get rage quit on.

Once they fix the crossplay desynch issue then there really isn't much an argument anymore. So worst case scenario as long as you're Sony you're master race until they fix.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

It's not launch anymore. There have been patches and multiple instances of maintenance on top of all those beta tests they did. There is no excuse for this.
  • spliffy_bazspliffy_baz Joined: Posts: 155
    Obviously crossplay is going to have some glitches. You can't expect crossplay to not have glitches on launch especially when it's new territory for Capcom. Killer Instinct had desynching issues for a long while too and issues with innocent people going to jail when they get rage quit on.

Once they fix the crossplay desynch issue then there really isn't much an argument anymore. So worst case scenario as long as you're Sony you're master race until they fix.
    It's a netcode issue that Mike Z pointed out, it isn't a cross play only issue, PC vs PC and PS4 vs PS4 experience the same Desync issues. I have KI on Xbox 1 and on PC now and the netcode on both is amazing, SF5 out sourced it's netcode to a Korean Shovelware company and it's trash. KI netcode really clowns SF5's, the game is just a broken mess that isn't even playable for me with friends and Capcom is content to let people play on it.
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,202
    edited April 2016

crossplay is fucked, I play PC to PS all the time and it seems like the PS player always has an advantage

impossible to hit confirm or play footsies in this shit. sometimes it'll rollback your jab so late you never see that it was blocked, and your combo actually looks like you dropped the link when really you never hit in the first place. even anti-airing is hard when the first third of their jump arc keeps disappearing

so I set it to PC only, and like 80% of my ranked matches end in rage quits

then add in the huge amount of input latency at all times, that shit is ridiculous too. game has 2 frames more delay than SFIV & GG. dash up tactics especially from characters like Nash and Alex should not be as strong as they are, but if you add in your normal reaction time that input lag makes all the difference between eating dash up throw constantly, and checking him with a jab every time

all in all it makes this a really fuckin annoying game
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
    edited April 2016
    It's not launch anymore. There have been patches and multiple instances of maintenance on top of all those beta tests they did. There is no excuse for this.

This is true, but its still in a better state now than a lot of the other fighting games ive played online. If they are having the exact same problems a yeat after release, then yeah sure its a lost cause. Its just if you compare to other fighting games like KI and MKX it definitely took both of those games a year for their networking and netcode to be in the state it is now.

MKX needs no real mention since they said the netcode would br great and threw in their old NRS delay code for a year instead. No questions worst netcode in a long time.

KI had a lot of hijinks as well during its first year so im giving them their full year considering that's what it took for the other games.