Net code discussion. Rollback confirmed!

Comments

• fischbsfischbs stop that Joined: Posts: 1,176
    edited April 2016
    I would love for Capcom to acknowledge the issue. I created a petition and tried to get signatures for it to force the Capcom CMs' hands and try to get them to talk about the netcode issue, but I couldn't get any traction with the petition on here or on the SF subreddit (I was actually temporarily banned from the SF subreddit for pushing the petition too hard, that's how frustrated I was and how badly I wanted people to sign this petition so we could hear SOMETHING about these netcode issues from Capcom).

My faith that they'll fix the netcode is based on a several reasons; I don't "have a lot of faith they'll fix everything for no reason whatsoever, based on no evidence".

For one, they have already tweaked it and made it better since release. A lot of matches I used to have that were laggy as balls and unplayable against certain people are now playable. I still have plenty of matches that are bad, but far less. You tend to remember the names of opponents who get you frustrated with the bad connection, so I was pleasantly surprised after the first major patch to see that those same players actually were playable now. Of course this is purely anecdotal and may not be the same for you, so feel free to disregard this initial point -- as I'm sure you already have.

Secondly, the PS4 release of USF4 was very similar to the release of SFV. Both games were rushed out and clearly unfinished with a lot of bugs. The PS4 release of USF4 eventually became the best version of the game, overtaking the 360 version, because Capcom continued to patch and tweak and fix the game, reducing input lag, making menus not laggy shit, fixing bugged moves, etc. Capcom has a track record for rushing out games towards the end of fiscal quarters, but they also have a track record of fixing those games down the road. Remember how terrible the transition from GFWL to Steam was for PC USF4? It's no longer hot garbage. That's a track record of rushing things out first, and fixing them later -- not a fan of that approach, but there's evidence that is their approach.

Thirdly, Capcom has said over and over again this game is about the long haul. I can't imagine how they would continue to support this game adding content after content without improving the netcode one bit, especially after we have seen marginal improvements to the netcode already. What world do you live in where Capcom has not continually tweaked literally every SF game to date? Does the Super Ultra Street Fighter V Arcade Edition 2012 Version 2 joke have no merit anymore? These guys have a credible report of supporting the game post launch by continually releasing several updates.

Finally, while I don't like it, I can understand why Capcom wouldn't come out and bluntly say HEY YEAH, OUR NETCODE IS FUCKED, WE'LL GET IT WORKING IN A FEW MONTHS...PLEASE BUY OUR GAME THAT REALLY ONLY HAS AN ONLINE MODE. It would likely do more damage to their sales than keeping quiet about the game would, considering that those of us that are complaining have already bought the game and we are complaining in venues where only people who already own the game generally visit. The average consumer isn't going to get wind of shit unless Capcom themselves opens their big mouths and actually gives average consumer gaming websites a reason to print up a big story titled "Capcom admits its game is fucked up and will be fixed later but they want you to buy it now". From the perspective of PURE profit motive, I can understand their silence, even if it is incredibly, incredibly frustrating to me personally.

IN SHORT:

rMr5QkI.jpg
    You can use BBCode in your post. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • StreetfarterfiveStreetfarterfive Joined: Posts: 50
    edited April 2016
    fischbs wrote: »

For one, they have already tweaked it and made it better since release.
    Uh, what? No they haven't. In fact if you remove your head from Ono's anus and look around THE THREAD YOU ARE POSTING IN a lot of people are actually complaining about having a WORSE online experience lately. They fixed a few server issues that were making the game literally unplayable, maybe, but that's it. We're still getting 2 bar matches when setting it to five only, we're still getting matched up with people halfway around the world on different hardware, we're still playing teleport fighter five whenever the game feels like it. There have been zero positive improvements to the netcode since release.
    Secondly, the PS4 release of USF4 was very similar to the release of SFV. Both games were rushed out and clearly unfinished with a lot of bugs.
    LOL. Ok. This is where I stop reading. No. Not even close. Not even remotely close. USF4 was a finished game. Whatever quality of life improvements they made are NOTHING compared to the amount of work that needs to go into SF5 to even call it a finished game. The two aren't even comparable, much less 'very similar'. Since you're committed to leaning on things that are completely false to prevent yourself from admitting we're right, I'm done with you.

We bought the game. We have a right to complain. You have no right to tell us we shouldn't.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,725
    edited April 2016
    I'm with Streetfarterfive on this one.
    Nothing Capcom has done in the past warrants the belief that they will do shit better in the future.

Every "fix" we got so far for Street Fighter V was just as half-assed as the release was.

Oh yeah you get 8 man lobbies:
    Then they put in fucking 8 man lobbies but kinda forgot to give the 6 other persons that are not playing anything to do, forgot to put in a ping filter, forgot to put in a chat box so you can talk, discuss and make friends and when you look for a lobby yourself, you can sit there for 5 minutes until the the wheels stop spinning so they can tell you that you have ? ping to 18 hosts and 2 of them are sitting in Japan with 1 bar while you're playing from Europe. GENIUS!

We present you character trials and tutorials:
    Give us lazy ass trials with combos that are not even close to bread and butter combos for the most part and can be done in an evening, plus great video snoozefests that are boring as hell and don't tell you nothing about your character's option except that you have an invincible reversal.
    Poverty games like GG Xrd and Killer Instinct on the other hand explain newcomers all there is to their game system by actually letting them play these scenarios and even crowdfunded games with low budget like Skullgirls do that shit a ton better.

And this is shit they actually acknowledged and it still came out as half-assed crap. What do you think what they will do about the stuff they didn't even say will be fixed?
    So what makes you actually think that they will do better with the netcode? Have they ever fixed any netcode of any game? Even that fucking Steam transition of SF4 wasn't fixed by Capcom but rather by Valve who made an update to the Steam client that made USFIV and SSF4 AE fucking playable.

Don't get me started on those lazy ass Ryu and Ken story costumes that look like Ben Stiller is doing a flashback scene where he is 14-years old again.
    stiller.png.ashx?width=620&height=350&mode=crop&scale=both

Yeah sure this guy is a teenager!

On top of that the fucking terrible UI, loading times, 0 functionality CFN and so on and so on.

Really the only thing good about the game is the game itself and at least they got that right, right away otherwise this game would be hopeless.

Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 59,217 mod
    No one knew Mortal Kombat was going to fix its ass net code that was clearly worse than Vs, but they eventually did. I wasn't going to wait a whole year for good netcode so I dropped the game after a couple months (on top of just not liking the game at all)

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• chatshirechatshire Joined: Posts: 908
    rMr5QkI.jpg

idk if i would use a pic of the delusional fantasy of a dude who had his head stuck so far up his own ass that he didn't notice a zombie apocalypse to tldr a post like yours
    im just saying, poor picture choice
  • fischbsfischbs stop that Joined: Posts: 1,176
    @Chatshire HE SURVIVED.

@Streetfarterfive They have made small fixes. The servers don't mean shit when it comes to a P2P connection. They had to directly address the netcode. And the similarities I'm drawing between PS4 USF4 is that PS4 USF4 was a broken shitty mess that became great after they fixed it over a few months. I'm not talking about how "complete" the game is, features wise.

@ArtVandelay How often are you gonna post that picture?
    You can use BBCode in your post. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • larcatlarcat Joined: Posts: 218
    Lolol 2 rounds of this, I couldn't control my char :dizzy:
    1CDRyf5.jpg
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,259
    larcat wrote: »
    Lolol 2 rounds of this, I couldn't control my char :dizzy:
    1CDRyf5.jpg

I had that happen too.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,551
    edited April 2016
    Aquashark wrote: »
    does anyone know what those highlighted icons are? https://i.imgur.com/nRueFcX.png
    i asked haunts on Twitter nicely about it, but he didn't answer.

the added text is speculation on my part, but whenever i get the 3 dots, the match is unplayable every single time (DBZ teleports).
    also the connection shows up as 1 bar in the rematch screen, but when we return to lobby it's back to 5 bars.
    i pinged my friend and we had stable ping less than 5ms.

if the set starts with the other icon (2 dots joined directly) in Versus Screen, there's not problems the entire first to 10 set.

i observed this problem only in Battle Lounge so far, Ranked seems to be fine.
    so i had this problem.. I disabled the SPI firewall from my router and now the game works perfectly with my fellow countrymen and great in Europe overall.

i'm scratching my head here because the ports used by SF5 were opened, namely:
    • TCP: 80, 443, 20002, 30840, 30850, 30870
    • UDP: 30840-30859, 30870-30879
    oh well.. if you have a similar problem maybe this would help you
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • ZacharaZachara Joined: Posts: 942
    Sigh... Another bout of crappy matches making me not want to play the game for another few days.
    From what I can gather, the person with the better connection seems to get most of the rollback as the game rolls back to where they were, not where they were on your screen.
    I've got a couple of matches recorded of me hitting someone only for the game to turn around with "No, Karin's st.HK is only one frame and it goes back in time and stops your button from connecting". I wish I was exaggerating but I slowed down one of the recordings to go through frame by frame and Karin woke up, stood still and then got grabbed by a Power Bomb, and then suddenly st.HK came out and I was crush countered out of my meaty Power Bomb set up.
    Or when as Alex you use MP-Flash (+3) and go for st.MP straight after and they some how manage to jump out despite the fact that they should be able to.

I hate it because when I have good matches, they are amazing. If I find someone that has a good connection I want to sit there and play them all day, win or lose. But playing against 10 people over the space of an hour and having even half of them do the teleport dance makes me not want to play at all.

Also - Playing against a Laura who knows that they lag is hilarious. My screen = Charging Fireball. Their screen = Already jumped. My screen = Anti Air st.LP. Their screen = Already landed into command grab.

Much fun.
    Such salt.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,423
    So in the Guile update I read they they plan to improve match making by loosening the search restrictions. This baffles me. If anything the restrictions need to be tightened. They're obviously loose enough as is with people getting any level of bars with it set to search for 5 bars only. As well as people getting matched to any country except their own.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• Compact87Compact87 Wrong Turn Joined: Posts: 117
    Quit matching me with players from another continents pls. ty
  • larcatlarcat Joined: Posts: 218
    What the fuck is with the dropped lounge connections before game even starts...?
    So in the Guile update I read they they plan to improve match making by loosening the search restrictions. This baffles me. If anything the restrictions need to be tightened. They're obviously loose enough as is with people getting any level of bars with it set to search for 5 bars only. As well as people getting matched to any country except their own.

So while the connections that some of us have been getting are questionable at best (While set to 5 bars only) they're going to make the match making LESS restrictive?
    I actually wouldn't care if when it's asking if I want to join a match/joining a battle lounge I could see the actual ping. Telling me something is "5 bars" may as well be saying it's between 0-500 latency.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,201
    They need to address the game's high base input lag and why they increase delay online despite the fact that they also use rollback.

Right? I can see how in Europe a country-specific system would be really bad because they're so close together and you're really dividing communities, but I'm from NA and I keep getting matched with people OVERSEAS. Honestly though they've been so oblivious through this entire release it wouldn't surprise me if they THOUGHT they'd implemented a working regional matchmaking system.

Not to mention the fact that you simply CHOOSE YOUR OWN FLAG from any country you want making that system of identifying regions completely useless.
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 9,392
    This has got worse in the updates, I used to just get Aussies , but now I'm getting Japan, Malaysia way more often.
  • CobraKaiCobraKai Joined: Posts: 584
    I think I understand why it prompts for 1 bar matches when you set it to 5.

It polls it twice, the jitter on the connection between the first time it finds a match and when it pops up
    and shows the connection status differs. Causing it appear to be worse than it actually is.

I tested this by accepting all 1 bar connection yesterday, they were all from Europe, Netherlands, Germany, France etc.
    countrys which I normally get a 4-5 bar connection.

Also I think resolution scaling setting on the PC might desync the netplay.. not sure I'm still testing it out.
  • vitalvital Joined: Posts: 324
    Wish they brought back SF4 netcode, this game somehow has worse rollback garbage than that game
  • itzpookiieitzpookiie Sherry Jenix's Soulmate Joined: Posts: 5,068
    this netcode
    is absolute
    fucking
    shit

and seriously?
    region filter
    you can make a ps/pc filter but not region
    fucking retards
  • ZenisideZeniside Joined: Posts: 3,005
    Okay I had to stop for now. Enough with the fucking China players.
  • CeramicdragonCeramicdragon Joined: Posts: 59
    What happened to online? Can't login. Before that got kicked out after the first round like a rage quitter.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Edison (Nash is his main)
  • Spinning BeatSpinning Beat Mr. creampie your girl Joined: Posts: 3,973
    I quit against anybody laggy. If it lags as soon as the match starts I'm gone!

But if the lag shows up at the middle or end I'll just play it out. I don't want to look like an RQer but if I quit before either of us gets hit it's not an RQ!
    The most beautiful rose is cultivated in the blood of those who fall before me.
    SFV: Vega.
    3S:Ibuki, Yang, Ryu
    KOF 98:Kyo/Iori/O.Chris
    I play to learn, because you can't win if you don't know shit.
    July, 16 1991: That's when the beat dropped.
    CFN:weedandwater
    R.I.P Bankroll Fresh
    I quit against anybody laggy. If it lags as soon as the match starts I'm gone!

But if the lag shows up at the middle or end I'll just play it out. I don't want to look like an RQer but if I quit before either of us gets hit it's not an RQ!

Honestly as long as you quit in the first ~30 seconds or so of the round it's not really a RQ. I'll leave as soon as it becomes evident that the game is unplayable.

I'm pretty upset that they're implementing a timeout feature before addressing the garbage netcode for this reason. Now when the game decides I deserve to be matched with someone from china or some shit despite me taking every available precaution to avoid it I'm just supposed to waste my time and stay in? Or else I risk getting timed out? Can I have my money back yet?
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 9,392
    I love the way you can search for games that last 60 seconds ( because who the fuck does that?) but not for the guy that lives on the same street as you.

Battlelounge is really only good for people you know. We had to set up a Facebook group in our city just to tell each other when we were playing.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,585
    The netcode is good. Everything else surrounding the netcode such as matchmaking and displaying match conditions is absolutely terrible.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • itzpookiieitzpookiie Sherry Jenix's Soulmate Joined: Posts: 5,068
    Dime_x wrote: »
    The netcode is good. Everything else surrounding the netcode such as matchmaking and displaying match conditions is absolutely terrible.

i play my friend
    sometimes its smooth
    sometimes its ass
    sometimes its both in the same session

we are both running consistent mb/s
  • learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 847
    I still am a bit in disbelief that America has surpassed Japan in quality online play with both KI and freakin MK. MK????

What the f is Japan doing. They're supposed to be much smarter and have a better work ethic than us. Makes no sense.
    Get Serious!

SF5: Fighter Tag: Learis1
    main char: Ryu
    avg lp: 3500

SF4: main char: Fei Long
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 59,217 mod
    Japan is weird in that they are innovative, but at the same time held back by sticking with heavy traditions and not as open to changes in way things operate. I hear especially in their work force its really hard to be flexible and the boss might as well be a family member.

SFVs netcode is still better than the majority of other fighting games. MKX didn't do anything with their netcode which they got royally bashed for until after SF announced they were doing rollback. Coincidence? Probably not.

Barring some glitches that need to be fixed id still rather play SFVs netcode over most of the stuff thats been out. Its more glitches and lack of optimization holding back the netcode.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

edited April 2016
    Barring some glitches that need to be fixed id still rather play SFVs netcode over most of the stuff thats been out. Its more glitches and lack of optimization holding back the netcode.

You people on the rollback bandwagon always say this when some turd fighting game with rollback is released. If it's poorly executed 100% of the time, maybe the source is the problem.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,423
    edited April 2016
    Even when sf5 connections were at their best for me I always felt that they still never held a candle to Skullgirl's netcode or even playing on fightcade\ggpo. Sf5's netcode isn't even 100 percent rollback as it also has input delay and slow down for some reason.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

There's just too much stuff going on really, CFN, cross play, fucked up match making , it's a wonder it even functions.
    Left the game for a few days (Nearly a week) due to hating the online for this game. Went on it today and had a grand total of 2 matches before I was done again.
    1st match - Necalli with the "Make my st.HK safe on block and/or have less than 5 frames of start up" tech.
    2nd match - Cammy who I wasn't allowed to V-Reversal against. (Got rolled back 3 times)

I really want to enjoy this game but everyone who I know who was playing has stopped because of the online in this game is so screwy. If I try and get my mates to play offline they answer with "Well no one has been playing because the online is so shit so lets play KI instead".
    So I'm stuck with 2 choices - Play the game online or don't play at all and it's getting harder and harder to justify even having the game installed. The most amount of matches I've been able to play over the past 3 weeks is about 8 and after that I felt burnt out. It's just not enjoyable to watch your match winning combo get rolled back or eating a full combo even though on your screen you anti aired someone but on their's you just stood there and took the hit.

I think the worst part is that at first I was having about 1 in 4-5 matches be bad whereas now it's worse and it's closer to 3 in 5 matches.
    I've even run checks to make sure there's not a problem with my connection while I'm playing but everything appears to be fine.
    Dime_x wrote: »

You have been saying this since day one and I'm glad that the netcode is at least consistent for you but many have been saying, also since day one, that they can play the same person 5 times and the lag/latency/rollback/instant-transmission is different almost every time.
    I understand that if you don't have to deal with it, it seems like less of an issue, but the fact that people who live less than 5 miles apart and are both on stable connections can have multiple issues going from match to match is something that shouldn't be happening.

Don't get me wrong, the matchmaking is a travesty. The fact that I, someone from the UK, has been matched up with someone from South Korea when searching for 5 bars only is a joke. I thought the person had just chosen the South Korean flag because it's cool until I tried playing. The match looked like I had concrete shoes attached to a rubber band and they were bouncing around like they'd been taking Red Bull laced with crack.
  • JaxxxJaxxx Joined: Posts: 943
    reading thru this thread is very interesting to me. I rarely get games with lag but match making takes awhile to happen in between fights. Sometimes i get the same guy 2x in a row.
    edited April 2016
    Jaxxx wrote: »
    reading thru this thread is very interesting to me. I rarely get games with lag but match making takes awhile to happen in between fights. Sometimes i get the same guy 2x in a row.

It is interesting. Lol
    My friends that live 2 hours away all act like I'm crazy when I talk about how shit it is because apparently all throughout every beta and up until now they haven't had one single problem when playing the game online. I find that astonishing.
    Post edited by Foolinfection on

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,725

It is interesting. Lol
    My friends that live 2 hours away all act like I'm crazy when I take about how shit it is because apparently all throughout every beta and up until now they haven't had one single problem when playing the game online. I find that astonishing.

Are they noobs?
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/

It is interesting. Lol
    My friends that live 2 hours away all act like I'm crazy when I take about how shit it is because apparently all throughout every beta and up until now they haven't had one single problem when playing the game online. I find that astonishing.

Are they noobs?

I wouldn't say they're noobs, but just kinda average players that aren't as knowledgeable as they think they are. They're big fans of Maximilian if that tells you anything . But, surely I would assume that they can tell a good connection from a bad connection.

• RIFRIF Joined: Posts: 251
    Is anyone else finding the online gameplay to be significantly worse post-patch? I have people warping all over the place. Now with the RQ mechanism, you can't even dump out of a game if the connection is terrible without being penalized.
  • BenzBenz Joined: Posts: 87
    Yes, it's gotten worse. I played a few casual matches with more warping and delays than before.
  • ChowMeinChowMein Joined: Posts: 9
    edited April 2016
    I'm experiencing so much lag after the update.
    I always search for 5 bars connection only.
    When they beat me, it shows the guy now has 1 bar connection on the rematch screen!!! arghhh

This is even with people in my country