Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

Net code discussion. Rollback confirmed!

Comments

• RIFRIF Joined: Posts: 251
    This shit has become unplayable online. Every fight is a lagfest. This is with my network speed being 100 down and 15 up.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 59,244 mod
    RIF wrote: »
    This shit has become unplayable online. Every fight is a lagfest. This is with my network speed being 100 down and 15 up.

Where do you live? I play most of my matches without much lag and even people I used to lag with in IV I'm doing pretty good with.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• RIFRIF Joined: Posts: 251
    RIF wrote: »

Where do you live? I play most of my matches without much lag and even people I used to lag with in IV I'm doing pretty good with.

AZ. The gameplay was MUCH better prior to this last patch. I knew I fucking hated Guile for a reason.
  • DasblackmanDasblackman Currently Aeriqui on all platforms Joined: Posts: 118
    I got matched against the same person 16 times last night. Previous day, got matched against the same person for 10 matches straight. I don't even know anymore honestly
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You guys are crazy. Rollback netcode shits on anything with variable delay. The game runs absolutely great for me online when I play people within a reasonable distance.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 9,404
    edited May 2016
    Update seems worse for me so far. Need a bigger sample size. Cant see me sticking with this past 6 months if it's a constant battle to get games. Will stick to offline.
  • DasblackmanDasblackman Currently Aeriqui on all platforms Joined: Posts: 118
    It takes me upwards of 40 minutes to find games with good connections sometimes. That's absolutely ridiculous
  • HeavensCloudHeavensCloud Joined: Posts: 937
    I'm surprised the number of people having bad online experiences. Maybe I was just used to SFIV, but 9/10 games for me in V are silky smooth with no noticeable lag. I can find casual/ranked matches in less than a minute and I always set to 5 bars only.
  • StreetfarterfiveStreetfarterfive Joined: Posts: 50
    Rollback netcode shits on anything with variable delay.

Can you explain why? Having just ONE hit in a match rollback to a block animation makes the game unplayable. Rollbacks that eliminate the startup animation of certain moves making it so you can't react to them make the game unplayable, same with jump ins. If there are no rollbacks, then there's no point. It's not like this game doesn't have input delay either, because it definitely does, so I'm really not sure where your point can stand, at all.
  • CobraKaiCobraKai Joined: Posts: 584
    Go to love the rollback code.

I was playing with sim today and a Ryu player mashed out his CA I saw it and tried to teleported but he got me and it started the animation where it hits me 6 times and was about to kill.
    Then rollback. I had teleported behind him and hit him with my BnB and won the round lol

• LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,752
    rollback netcode is only good if it is properly implemented, in SFV it clearly isn't.
    DBFZ: A18/Trunks/Yamcha
    GGXrdR2:
     Jam, Baiken
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

edited May 2016
    Well the problem with input code is that when you go online a large amount of extra frames are tacked onto whatever you play offline. With rollback code even if there is an inherent offline delay, you're not getting heavy extra delay tacked on when you go online also. It's closer to the same.

LockM pretty much has it. People like rollback code where you can't visually see the rollbacks. Which Capcom hasn't done a great job of yet unless the connection is really strong. Lot of people either just don't have great internet or just play from far away and it seems that any giveaway starts throwing in very visual rollbacks. As opposed to other netcodes where it's usually still masked when the connection isn't optimal

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 9,404
    It's not just the code it's the match making. You shouldn't have to wait 5-10 minutes on a match in a brand new game at peak hour.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    I wonder if you compare PS4 v PS4 to PS4 v PC if things differ in any meaningful way.
    My gut tells me yes but it's kinda hard to gather good useful info on it.
    Play more.
    Rollback netcode shits on anything with variable delay.

Can you explain why? Having just ONE hit in a match rollback to a block animation makes the game unplayable. Rollbacks that eliminate the startup animation of certain moves making it so you can't react to them make the game unplayable, same with jump ins. If there are no rollbacks, then there's no point. It's not like this game doesn't have input delay either, because it definitely does, so I'm really not sure where your point can stand, at all.

Online fighting games are unplayable in bad connections regardless of the code. When you have your connected move roll back to block that just means the ping is high. In an input delay game you can't hit confirm in conditions like that either.

I know the game has input delay, we are talking about the netcode though. In sf4 the variable input delay would change depending on the connection. That would force you to change your timing between matches. I'd rather have the same consistent timing at all times.
    CFN ScootMagee
    edited May 2016
    When you have your connected move roll back to block that just means the ping is high.
    Evidently not. I'm not sure if you've actually played SF5 but you can be next door to your opponent and both on broadband and still experience rollbacks.
    In an input delay game you can't hit confirm in conditions like that either.
    I've played a lot of both sf4 and 5 and had far more positive experiences playing online in 4. I never said I was exclusively talking about poor connections. That's a change you made to the discussion so you could strawman out your argument here.
    I know the game has input delay, we are talking about the netcode though.
    lol.
    In sf4 the variable input delay would change depending on the connection. That would force you to change your timing between matches. I'd rather have the same consistent timing at all times.
    Maybe in 4 when 1 frame links were pretty essential to gameplay, but in this game you can literally mash out any combo. I'd have possibly rather had rollback in street fighter 4 but for this game based on what I'd seen so far I'd much prefer the sf4 netcode were present in sf5.
    edited May 2016
    When you have your connected move roll back to block that just means the ping is high.
    Evidently not. I'm not sure if you've actually played SF5 but you can be next door to your opponent and both on broadband and still experience rollbacks.
    In an input delay game you can't hit confirm in conditions like that either.
    I've played a lot of both sf4 and 5 and had far more positive experiences playing online in 4. I never said I was exclusively talking about poor connections. That's a change you made to the discussion so you could strawman out your argument here.
    I know the game has input delay, we are talking about the netcode though.
    lol.
    In sf4 the variable input delay would change depending on the connection. That would force you to change your timing between matches. I'd rather have the same consistent timing at all times.
    Maybe in 4 when 1 frame links were pretty essential to gameplay, but in this game you can literally mash out any combo. I'd have possibly rather had rollback in street fighter 4 but for this game based on what I'd seen so far I'd much prefer the sf4 netcode were present in sf5.

You can call it a straw man argument but I'm going based off my experience just as you are. In the good connections I play in I'm not experiencing noticeable rollback. In bad connections I see rollback and all the other things you've mentioned. I'm able to hit confirm in both sf4 and sf5 in good connections, mostly with the ny Trista te area. This is why I brought up bad connections and how either game would be bad in a bad connection. Obviously you're having a different experience.

I do think capcom could have done a better job optimizing the netcode. I also think it would have been smart to give players the option to increase input lag for themselves to negate rollback if that's what they preferred. It's an option in many other games that use a similar netcode.

Sf5 may not be very link heavy but that is not the only thing affected by variable input delay. Timing meaty attacks is pretty critical in this game. I really wouldn't want to have to train different timings on and offline. That's just my preference though.

You can lol at me mentioning that we are talking about netcode. I prefer rollback over delay, I don't see why sf5 having delay offline would contradict that. I don't like it but it is what it is.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • spliffy_bazspliffy_baz Joined: Posts: 156
    Played the game online Friday with 2 friends, fairly local players and they had hardwired connections, both are offline players, regardless the netcode was laggy teleporting hell. A friend came over for offline yesterday and we played KOF XIII, CVS2, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, and USF4. SF5 doesn't support most sticks on PC so that wasn't really an option for offline 2 player, my friend has a PS4 and SF5 though, but hates SF5 and refuses to play it offline. I also had no wish to play it offline after playing CVS2, USF4, VF5FS & KOF XIII for many hours, while enjoying their deeper mechanics and much more challenging game play. I can't really see myself playing SF5 much anymore with the atrocious netcode and dumbed down combo and system mechanics. So i just uninstalled it from my PC about an hour ago and am basically done with the game. I might check the game out again around July 31st when Ibuki drops, but the online is just terrible and the gameplay is to inferior to keep playing it anymore.

I am impressed people still have the patience to wait so long for matches when the netcode is this bad, it just goes to show you the power of brand loyalty. Even the worst, most unfinished product can still keep some players waiting ages for a chance at teleporting rollbacks and masher combos, if it's a trendy brand. I think the brand is starting to lose it's luster though and more players will be dropping off in the future. GG's Capcom 2016.
    5000 people at Evo we dropping off lol

So is it mostly pc players having issues? I met a few people that didn't think running file share programs interfered with the netplay.
    CFN ScootMagee
    Tebbo wrote: »
    I wonder if you compare PS4 v PS4 to PS4 v PC if things differ in any meaningful way.
    My gut tells me yes but it's kinda hard to gather good useful info on it.

I have both but I've hardly played the PC version. Without getting too technical there's just too many variables to run into on the PC version. I should probably give it an extended try though.

You know if you are playing PS4 to PS4, it's 100% not the hardware , has to be the connection. Just far less things to worry about...and its tourney standard.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,596
    But you have to buy a new stick to play the ps4 version... Fuck that shit.

I bought sf5 for ps4 months ago and haven't even bothered to download it.

#notapadboy
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • w00denTEETHw00denTEETH "BLOW A FUSE, you lose" Joined: Posts: 780
    edited May 2016
    More than 90% of the matches I play are fine. 5 bar only, PS4 only, Training Stage, Toronto Canada.

What percentage of the people complaining are PC players who live in medieval Europe?

Dime_x wrote: »

#notapadboy

I was due a stick anyway, plus when you turn up to tourneys you don't have to be a bum and ask to borrow someone's!
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,596

#notapadboy

I was due a stick anyway, plus when you turn up to tourneys you don't have to be a bum and ask to borrow someone's!

I've played on your frankenstick!

Don't know how you do it... It's like trying to drive a car with a blown clutch and brakes ;)
    Gettin' my derp on.

#notapadboy

I've played on your frankenstick!

Don't know how you do it... It's like trying to drive a car with a blown clutch and brakes ;)

Ha ha, no that was my old stick! I got the new PS4 TE
    I've had PC version for a month and haven't had any issues that I haven't also had on PS4. Pretty much same so far.

• purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 5,134
    Lol @ people still comparing bad connections.

"My bad connection in SF4/5 is badder than your bad connection in SF5/4!"

Who gives a fuck they are both shitty.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,428
    People here are ignoring the fact that the online was perfect for most people until after the server maintenance happened. It's obviously not their Internet or the hardware they're playing on that's the problem. Has everyone also forgotten how that shit happened all the time in the betas? When Capcom had to tweet out every 30 mins about how they had to restart the servers yet again because a lot of people all of a sudden couldn't play post-server maintenance on certain days? I'm so tired of hearing this shit that it's the player's fault for having shit Internet when that's definitely not the case.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• RammaRamma Team Blockstring Joined: Posts: 1,516
    Does anyone know why we don't have a region setting yet? or a bars setting in battle lounge? I'm so tired of this.
    CFN: RammaCricket
    SFV: Cammy/Necalli | Fun Subs: Gief
    USFIV: Cody | Alt: Zangief
    edited May 2016

You can call it a straw man argument but I'm going based off my experience just as you are.
    So you're doubling down on one fallacy with another? Hilarious. No, what I'm saying is not based solely on anecdotal evidence as yours apparently is. I think we're done here.
    Except evo is not sf5....you saw the article on sf5 sales, right? Jesus it's like logic is kryptonite to you people.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 10,740
    While the netcode isn't as bad as some people picture it and it actually works pretty good against players within the same region, I'm still baffled at his inability at keeping a smooth game above 100ms of ping. NA to EU connections are usually around 150-200ms, on Fightcade it works like a charm and yet in SF5 you invariably experience rollback. I feel there's still a lot of work to do in stabilizing less than optimal connections.
    [SFV] Laura [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    edited May 2016

You can call it a straw man argument but I'm going based off my experience just as you are.
    So you're doubling down on one fallacy with another? Hilarious. No, what I'm saying is not based solely on anecdotal evidence as yours apparently is. I think we're done here.
    Except evo is not sf5....you saw the article on sf5 sales, right? Jesus it's like logic is kryptonite to you people.

I'm not disagreeing that noticeable rollback makes the game unplayable. I just prefer the rollback method over the delay method in optimal connections. I've already explained why I feel that way.

Stop being so aggressive lol... It's like you aspire to be captain of the srk debate club or some shit. Take it easy killer.
    CFN ScootMagee
    Like said above, the netcode is solid when the pings aren't crazy high. Just smooth things out for less than optimal pings and we gud.

• mrNARAKUmrNARAKU Joined: Posts: 14
    Looking for advice...
    With the recent story about input lag, if im playing on a 55" led 120hz would it be better if i switch to my pc monitor but its only 720p 60hz (older cheap Westinghouse lol) but would smaller screen be better for it?
  • MortajaMortaja Joined: Posts: 86
    I have 60-100m download speedd and 20 upload, and im having a pretty bad online experience, even worst since the guile patch, is my conection that bad or it is some unexplicable thing? Because i dont know what to think! I'm playing in ps4 and have all ports open
    Honestly download and upload speeds don't really matter. Distance, ping and I guess things like packet loss are all that matter in p2p fighters.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,838
    Ramma wrote: »
    Does anyone know why we don't have a region setting yet? or a bars setting in battle lounge? I'm so tired of this.

This!! Plus the lounges never update bars so you're left guessing. Why can't i filter by connection in lounges? Why can't i set rooms to certain connections only?

Why is this game such a huge piece of shit?
    Disclaimer: I work for Paradise Arcade Shop. My posts are probably biased. Take that into consideration. Bye!
  • MortajaMortaja Joined: Posts: 86
    Honestly download and upload speeds don't really matter. Distance, ping and I guess things like packet loss are all that matter in p2p fighters.
    I check if i have packet loss and i didnt ! And i have lag even with people in my own country, so... How i check if i have bad ping?
    I play on ps4 and usually don't have problems. Funny enough I tried to play on PC and was getting hella rollbacks even in 5 bar connections. Not sure if its because I had the game windowed, was also playing the PS4 version or something else. Gonna try again later tonight to make sure.