The music is (barely) passable (Music Discussion Thread)

PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,868
edited January 31 in Street Fighter V
If the music in the gameplay trailer is any indication of the game's music then the soundtrack is still going to suck ass, consisting of the same generic brass horns and dubstep breaks we've heard in every single game since God of War came out, instead of having any personality whatsoever.

Where the fuck is Okugawa?
Post edited by PSYCH0J0SH on
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

I am raising money to pay my cat's vet bills. Please help out and spread the link. https://www.gofundme.com/mowglithecat

Comments

• FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy ARIA is the only answer Joined: Posts: 10,507
    It's ok to me.
    It kinda reminds me of a lullabuy mixed some a eerie feel to me. It kinda reminds of me of twinkle twinkle little star form Dead space albit more fast paced. So it's a plus for me.
  • TheFreshPrinceTheFreshPrince Sold so many chickens think I work for Kroger Joined: Posts: 3,725
    Only SF4 I remember liking off the top of my head is Zangeif's, but Zangief's theme is almost always good so that doesn't really count. Pretty much every SF game has had an amazing soundtrack except A3, 3S (some were good like Q's theme and Jazzy NYC everything else was garbage imo), and SF4 series. I think the series' high point when it came to music was either SNES WW or A2; SF2: 2I is also up there for amazing soundtrack (great stages too) but falls a little behind WW/A2. If they could just go back to themes that sounded like that, with a small amount of modern re-imagining taking place, my faith in this game would be almost completely restored.
    You just can't handle the fresh prince.

R.I.P. Uncle Phil.
  • pootnanniespootnannies Homework Fighter V Joined: Posts: 3,032
    there's actually some good music in 4 but just when most tracks get good is when you have an ultra or low health so it goes into those loops which have no melody.
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
    there's actually some good music in 4 but just when most tracks get good is when you have an ultra or low health so it goes into those loops which have no melody.

I don't mind those on certain stages. Those are a hit and miss.
  • Zio_NameZio_Name Joined: Posts: 342
    javert wrote: »
    As a first step, they should erase all previous BGMs from their heads and come with a 100% new and original soundtrack this time. Classic or not, I'm sick to death of the SF2 soundtrack after hearing its remasterizations way too many times. As long as the soundtrack doesn't have SxT level of quality, I'm fine.

You're making Guile sad...

• TheFreshPrinceTheFreshPrince Sold so many chickens think I work for Kroger Joined: Posts: 3,725
    javert wrote: »
    As a first step, they should erase all previous BGMs from their heads and come with a 100% new and original soundtrack this time. Classic or not, I'm sick to death of the SF2 soundtrack after hearing its remasterizations way too many times. As long as the soundtrack doesn't have SxT level of quality, I'm fine.

This would be cool if it was done right; however, I know damn well if they were to make a completely new soundtrack it would almost certainly be complete shit. This is why I instead suggested a mostly "back to the roots" style of music, so if all else fails at least there is some nostalgia to it.
    You just can't handle the fresh prince.

R.I.P. Uncle Phil.
  • Super SonicSuper Sonic Joined: Posts: 1,199
    I really liked SFIV's soundtrack. Third Strike's was the worst of all, IMO. They lost the "serious" nature of the game with that music. Alpha 3's soundtrack, on the other hand, was, and still is, the best!
    Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!
  • fischbsfischbs stop that Joined: Posts: 1,167
    I liked Poison's theme. :(
    You can use BBCode in your post. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,868
    edited December 2014
    Volkan wrote: »
    Some of the themes were good in 4. Some of the stage music was also good.

I agree. My favorite themes in IV are both Seth's themes,

Seth's theme is literally the worst one. I hate that one the most. There's nothing unique about it, it's just the MOST generic of all generic evil villain themes, all it needs is Seth with a handlebar mustache stroking a cat in his lap to complete the picture. Fuck that theme. Take it out into the woods and put a bullet in its skull.

You want to talk boring themes, Seth's theme is #1 on that list.

I am raising money to pay my cat's vet bills. Please help out and spread the link. https://www.gofundme.com/mowglithecat

PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Some of the themes were good in 4. Some of the stage music was also good.

I agree. My favorite themes in IV are both Seth's themes,

Seth's theme is literally the worst one. I hate that one the most. There's nothing unique about it, it's just the MOST generic of all generic evil villain themes, all it needs is Seth with a handlebar mustache stroking a cat in his lap to complete the picture. Fuck that theme. Take it out into the woods and put a bullet in its skull.

You want to talk boring themes, Seth's theme is #1 on that list.

Guess you don't like opinions. What's your idea of a good theme then?
    edited December 2014
    There are only a few songs on Third Strike that I like. Most of the songs on Third Strike are forgettable since I actually forgot most of those songs or they are boring. Many of the songs did not sync up to the fighting very well. Most songs did not have the heaviness that should match the heaviness and tension of a fight.

They were character themes. They were supposed to reflect the CHARACTERS and their stages.

edited December 2014
    We've barely heard any of the music and we're already assuming that it will completely suck? Fuck off, dude.

Not really assuming it's going to suck, more like I'm trying to prevent it from sucking, nipping it in the bud by getting a composer who's actually competent and not whoever composed SF4.

I thought soem of the SF4 music was good. My main girl's theme for one was awesome. And a few others as I've already mentioned before.
    I don't like em' that much.
  • Megaton ClawMegaton Claw Mad Gear Member Joined: Posts: 70
    edited December 2014

I could go on, but the gist of it is you don't have a clue what you're talking about. There is no way to "quantify" how much a theme reflects a character you idiot.
    I'll start with this because you kind of destroy your own point...

So if thats really what you think, how are you able say that these abominations reflect the characters, i mean there is no way to tell how much this reflects the character right?

Well they didn't, if they did a good job at that I would think about the characters when i hear their themes, i don't, i think "Who's theme is this supposed to be?"
    The street fighter 3 soundtrack is some of the most forgettable music in street fighter, and it does not reflect the characters in any way.
    Hmm, a theme with a classy piano intro. Which character could this possibly be? Maybe the single fucking character with a "distinguished gentleman" design? I can't tell because I'm a moron who can't put two things together.

Tribal drumming? Nope, that couldn't possibly be Elena, you know, the capoeira dancer from Kenya which this theme obviously reflects?
    So the first 2 seconds is the entire theme that is supposed to reflect the characters entire personality? That is all that is needed to "reflect" a character?

Oh wow I didn't think Noise starting with "tribal drumming" could be seen as iconic and memorable! Holy hell that is a horrible mess of repeated sounds.

If you started hearing it from the middle of those "melodies" (and i dont mean where they loop), it would be harder to tell which melodies they are, unlike the street fighter 2 themes. ( Yun is the exception here since it is actually eaiser to tell appart from the rest)

Even if the start of it gives you a hint, the themes themselves are not memorable, when you think of Ryu, you can immediately think of his street fighter 2 theme, but his street fighter 3 theme is harder to think of, if you can even remember it.

You could argue that this is because we have been exposed more to this piece, but thats because its the one most people concider his theme. It also being the original theme helps a lot, it gives a nostalgic feel.
    Was the street fighter 4 music the same as the one in the first trailer for Sf4?

Over-produced noisy digitized bullshit trying way too hard to sound "badass"? Yes it was.

I'll say this first, i did not like ALL the music in street fighter 4, but some of it was good, and that sounds nothing like the music in street fighter 4. You are aware what you posted is digitized noise as well right?

I get it, everything that is not Sf3 music is trying to hard to sound badass... Hipster?
    Come on, let's be real for a second.

Jazzy Music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anything Else. Sure you can dislike it, i'm not a person who likes to discuss personal taste, but saying that it was forgettable or "non suited" is simply... Not real. I had to wait until Skullgirls to get another OST as catchy and memorable.

Sure, i do like SFIV music too, but something like 70% of the themes are mid-tier at best.
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,454
    I want every char to have their own stage first. Maybe Sony will pay Capcom enough to do that.
  • ShaZeShaZe Joined: Posts: 33
    edited December 2014
    The music from SF4 is pretty great. The characters theme songs are almost all better than the original. Stages music are pretty great as well, notable ones :

- Exciting Street Scene (India)
    - Snowy Rail Yard (Russia)
    - Run-down Back Alley (China)
    - Crumbling Laboratory
    - Festival at the Old Temple Stage (South Korea)
    - Challenge Mode

Characters Song :
    - Theme of Yang - Crowded Street
    - Theme of Sakura - Blossoming Schoolgirl
    - Theme of Juri
    - Theme of Ibuki - Twilight
    - Theme of Guile - Lonely Wolf
    - Theme of Dhalsim - In Faraway India
    - Theme of Dee Jay - Thank You, Dee Jay!
    - Theme of Cody - The Final Fight
    - Theme of Blanka - Blanka Has Come To Town
    - Theme of Ken - Crimson Ken ~Burning Blood~
    - Theme of Ryu

And there is much more. I am pretty sure the only reason some of you like the old music better is either because of nostalgia, or because you decided to not give it a chance by muting it later on. It shouldn't even be a question about most of the characters theme, it is basically the same with enhancements.

• EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,436
    I want every char to have their own stage first. Maybe Sony will pay Capcom enough to do that.

I think that would be possible IF they limit the characters heavily. ~18-22 tops. SF4 has only 28 stages (30 if you count the 2 bonus stages) and a good number of them are simply modified versions of one of the other stages. (Pitch Black Jungle / Inland Jungle | Crowded Downtown / Run-Down Backalley | Old Temple / Deserted Temple | Secret Laboratory / Crumbling Laboratory | Beautiful Bay / Morning Mist Bay ) That is 5 stages that are just modified versions of another stage. It's a very good way to pad out the stages amount and create a good variety of back drops without having to put in nearly as much work as creating an entirely new stage as there are far less things to model / texture.

http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
    ShaZe wrote: »
    it is basically the same with enhancements.

You can't "enhance" Jazz, to be bluntly honest.

And yeah, while SFIV had the better idea of not using Stage Themes also as Character Themes, still, i really can't save much of them. I honestly like (and by "like" i mean something that i enjoy listening by itself at least 3-4 times/week) Rose's Theme, Viper's, Dudley's, Balrog's, Sagat's and Akuma's.

And for Stages, Volcanic Rim and Cruise Ship Stern.
  • SurremiesSurremies Joined: Posts: 490
    Super Turbo's and IV's soundtracks have been my favourites. SF IV did great job on remixing some tracks and at the same time, got bunch of new good stuff. And even the ones I think are inferior to their Super Turbo / 3S counterparts (like Dee Jay from ST and Ibuki / Elena from 3S), they managed to do pretty well.

My problem with 3S soundtrack was that they were pretty lazy. Hugo, Elena (though great) and Chun-li themes followed same loop majority of their time. It's not that much for me. Especially the one that Remy got was boring and uninspired.
    "Every nerf makes its own tune.."
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    Well they didn't, if they did a good job at that I would think about the characters when i hear their themes, i don't, i think "Who's theme is this supposed to be?"
    The street fighter 3 soundtrack is some of the most forgettable music in street fighter, and it does not reflect the characters in any way.
    I don't know. I agree somewhat because when I think of Urien, Q, or Remy, I'd have to look up what their themes sounded like again. But you can't deny that when you think of Jazzy Nyc, you will immediately think of Ken (although you should be thinking more of Alex than Ken). I say the same for Ibuki and Elena. I would've said Makoto but I actually forgot her theme just now lol. I think it all boils down to how much you liked 3s in general. If you played, watched, or did both a lot, then more of the music should be memorable to you. I haven't really played much 3s but I've seen enough of it to remember some of the characters' themes. But eh...
  • OUTforJUSTICEOUTforJUSTICE Joined: Posts: 145
    It was really hard for me to enjoy the SFIV soundtrack regardless of the quality of the actual music, because the sound design throughout that game is so compressed and clips so harshly that it all gives me a headache. I didn't notice that in the SFV trailer, so I like it way more already.
  • YorKeYYorKeY Top tier poster Joined: Posts: 5,757
    Do what i said in my post a few post above, i want you people to annoy the shit out of them with the Hiphop theme. O_O Screw pots and pans music.
    Dota 2 player.
    SFV: No one and everyone
    MvC Infinite: Roll, Jill, Ruby Heart
    Steam: iYorKeY
    Currently playing: Max Payne 2
    I love Ruby heart.
    Click this link for Kreygasm

• UtilityKeysUtilityKeys Silver Scrub Joined: Posts: 176
    Alpha 3 has such a killer soundtrack. Don't forget Sodom's A/V-ism theme either.

Incidentally, just to keep on-track with SF5, considering how good the Alpha 3 and the SFIII series OSTs are, I'd be pretty interested in seeing/hearing what would happen if SF5 took a similar route and gave each character totally new themes rather than remixes or re-arrangements of their normal ones. Obviously it depends on how they handle it, but I think it'd be a cool idea. Worth a risk, I suppose you could say.
    Links and Usernames: Steam | Fightcade | CFN/XBL: UtilityKeys
    Currently playing Street Fighter V and Killer Instinct on PC, on break from Super Turbo & 3rd Strike.
    'doukens in asses