The music is (barely) passable (Music Discussion Thread)

Comments

• Zio_NameZio_Name Joined: Posts: 342
    ShaZe wrote: »
    it is basically the same with enhancements.

You can't "enhance" Jazz, to be bluntly honest.

And yeah, while SFIV had the better idea of not using Stage Themes also as Character Themes, still, i really can't save much of them. I honestly like (and by "like" i mean something that i enjoy listening by itself at least 3-4 times/week) Rose's Theme, Viper's, Dudley's, Balrog's, Sagat's and Akuma's.

And for Stages, Volcanic Rim and Cruise Ship Stern.
  • SurremiesSurremies Joined: Posts: 714
    Super Turbo's and IV's soundtracks have been my favourites. SF IV did great job on remixing some tracks and at the same time, got bunch of new good stuff. And even the ones I think are inferior to their Super Turbo / 3S counterparts (like Dee Jay from ST and Ibuki / Elena from 3S), they managed to do pretty well.

My problem with 3S soundtrack was that they were pretty lazy. Hugo, Elena (though great) and Chun-li themes followed same loop majority of their time. It's not that much for me. Especially the one that Remy got was boring and uninspired.
    "Every nerf makes its own tune.."
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    Well they didn't, if they did a good job at that I would think about the characters when i hear their themes, i don't, i think "Who's theme is this supposed to be?"
    The street fighter 3 soundtrack is some of the most forgettable music in street fighter, and it does not reflect the characters in any way.
    I don't know. I agree somewhat because when I think of Urien, Q, or Remy, I'd have to look up what their themes sounded like again. But you can't deny that when you think of Jazzy Nyc, you will immediately think of Ken (although you should be thinking more of Alex than Ken). I say the same for Ibuki and Elena. I would've said Makoto but I actually forgot her theme just now lol. I think it all boils down to how much you liked 3s in general. If you played, watched, or did both a lot, then more of the music should be memorable to you. I haven't really played much 3s but I've seen enough of it to remember some of the characters' themes. But eh...
  • OUTforJUSTICEOUTforJUSTICE Joined: Posts: 145
    It was really hard for me to enjoy the SFIV soundtrack regardless of the quality of the actual music, because the sound design throughout that game is so compressed and clips so harshly that it all gives me a headache. I didn't notice that in the SFV trailer, so I like it way more already.
  • YorKeYYorKeY Fight for the future Joined: Posts: 7,847
    Do what i said in my post a few post above, i want you people to annoy the shit out of them with the Hiphop theme. O_O Screw pots and pans music.
    Dota 2 player.
    SFVAE: No one and everyone (Yun in the future)
    MvC Infinite: Captain MarvelxGamora/Captain AmericaxMegaman
    Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles & Yugi-Oh! Duel Links!
    " Shill of Shills. " - DevilJin
    If you play MvC click this link for kreygasm

• UtilityKeysUtilityKeys Silver Scrub Joined: Posts: 176
    Alpha 3 has such a killer soundtrack. Don't forget Sodom's A/V-ism theme either.

Incidentally, just to keep on-track with SF5, considering how good the Alpha 3 and the SFIII series OSTs are, I'd be pretty interested in seeing/hearing what would happen if SF5 took a similar route and gave each character totally new themes rather than remixes or re-arrangements of their normal ones. Obviously it depends on how they handle it, but I think it'd be a cool idea. Worth a risk, I suppose you could say.
    Links and Usernames: Steam | Fightcade | CFN/XBL: UtilityKeys
    Currently playing Street Fighter V and Killer Instinct on PC, on break from Super Turbo & 3rd Strike.
    'doukens in asses
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,867
    This Alpha 3 music nostalgia is too much. Makes me wish I never left my copies of the game back at home (I guess I could get back on GGPO though).
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,436
    I just hope they don't do another super awful song like Indestructible that is so bad people want it back because it's cheese levels.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • Zio_NameZio_Name Joined: Posts: 342
    On a serious note, yesterday i was listening to the CvsSNK2 OST while drawing... What about an OST similar to that?
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    CvS2 had good music definitely. The london stage with the bus stop is awesome, so are the boss stages music.

I'd be more in favor in going into a new direction though. Something more house, with a funky/jazzy/industrial vibe. Fighting is like dancing, it'd be cool to fight to a beat.
    I FEEL IT WITHIN MY BODY!
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    Daemos wrote: »
    CvS2 had good music definitely. The london stage with the bus stop is awesome, so are the boss stages music.

I'd be more in favor in going into a new direction though. Something more house, with a funky/jazzy/industrial vibe. Fighting is like dancing, it'd be cool to fight to a beat.

2nd Impact's music was pretty housey.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• OrochiDemonOrochiDemon Joined: Posts: 1,541
    Yeah they need to get the 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike musicians back pronto.
    edited December 2014
    Anyone remember this piece of perfection?

[youtube]CaCjeQGAXWk[/youtube]

EDIT- no idea why the youtube code isn't working.
  • TheFreshPrinceTheFreshPrince Sold so many chickens think I work for Kroger Joined: Posts: 3,725
    edited December 2014
    Just posting the link without any tags will automatically embed youtube videos. I have to say, It sounds like generic 90's action film music mixed with DMC1 battle theme. One of the few songs I do not like from the EX series.
    You just can't handle the fresh prince.

R.I.P. Uncle Phil.
    Daemos wrote: »
    EDIT- no idea why the youtube code isn't working.

Just post the youtube URL by itself. No need for tags.

But I used tags before and they always worked. Oh well thanks guys.
  • Politank-ZPolitank-Z Joined: Posts: 504
    Huh. I really liked what I heard in the trailer. And this is coming from someone who really didn't enjoy the soundtrack to 4 all that much. It reminded me of the Super Street Fighter 4 promo music. I wouldn't mind more of that actually...
  • fohstickfohstick Joined: Posts: 339
    edited December 2014
    Tensho wrote: »
    Capcom vs SNK 2 training stage music for all the stages!

i hated that theme. It sounded so repetitive

for SF5, the composers should listen the OST's of 2nd impact and alpha 2 for good examples
  • javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,293
    Is the sole existence of Guilty Gear enough to refuse a metal based soundtrack for sf5?
    Something that goes along with the darker and edgier style, forget Indestructible.
  • OUTforJUSTICEOUTforJUSTICE Joined: Posts: 145
    javert wrote: »
    Is the sole existence of Guilty Gear enough to refuse a metal based soundtrack for sf5?
    Something that goes along with the darker and edgier style, forget Indestructible.

As a heavy metal fan, there is something about Street Fighter and metal that just don't sit well together. If there are guitars, I hope it's used sparingly like how it is in the EX2 OST.
    edited December 2014
    Metal hasn't really been used in the SF soundtrack before, and I don't think it would suit the characters' personalities for the most part. Maybe Ken, Hugo or Adon, but that's about it. I can't picture Chun-Li or Sagat having metal themes.

House/electronic music has always seemed to be the series' staple.
    Post edited by PSYCH0J0SH on

I kind of miss when the music drew some inspiration from the characters place of origin. It's hard to do that now though with most of the characters being characters who are from locations that already have a character like Chun Li's chinese style music when there is multiple characters from Hong Kong (Dan/Fei/Yun/Yang) though I dunno if there is any other mainland china characters.
  • TheFreshPrinceTheFreshPrince Sold so many chickens think I work for Kroger Joined: Posts: 3,725
    Was supposed to read "still salty we got a FF remix of his theme instead of this masterpiece." And fuck your derp.

R.I.P. Uncle Phil.
    edited December 2014
    Was supposed to read "still salty we got a FF remix of his theme instead of this masterpiece." And fuck your derp.

Without the full statement it was a pretty derpy complaint :P

Anyways Burn 'Em Up is way better than Something Putrid By The Bay. Plus why wouldn't you want his actual theme song? Just cause Alpha 2 Rolento was a better character don't make his song better.

I'm actually a little disappointed they didn't use Double Andore (West Side Area) as Hugo's theme

Of course I still wish that they'd do a "music pack" DLC where they add a 2nd alt track to every character/stage to spice things up. If they did that I'd love Something Putrid By The Bay (Bay Area 1) to return for Rolento or a surprise use of "Lift Fighter 2" from Final Fight 2 (though the song isn't nearly as good as Final Fight 1 Bay Area imo)

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,140 mod

As a heavy metal fan, there is something about Street Fighter and metal that just don't sit well together. If there are guitars, I hope it's used sparingly like how it is in the EX2 OST.

I'm thinking SF lends itself more to 80's style metal more. But that could be just me having listened to the guitar heavy version of Ken's theme from Assassin's Fist one too many times.
    d3v wrote: »

I'm thinking SF lends itself more to 80's style metal more. But that could be just me having listened to the guitar heavy version of Ken's theme from Assassin's Fist one too many times.

Thanks, now I can stop thinking of Ken dressed as Dee Snider from Twisted Sister.

Dee-Snider-twisted-sister-27989487-361-365.jpg
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,140 mod
    Eternal wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »

Thanks, now I can stop thinking of Ken dressed as Dee Snider from Twisted Sister.

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/twisted-sister/images/27989487/title/dee-snider-photo?ir=true
    Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get that as an alternate costume.
    Holy shit, I never noticed how well a Dee Snider alt would work for Ken. They should seriously make that an alt at some point.

Anyway @Eternal Its not that I don't like his original theme, it's pretty good; but, I just like the bay theme a lot better. Especially the remix they did for A2G which was amazing and it managed to sound like a megaman theme.

R.I.P. Uncle Phil.
  • GenUser!GenUser! Joined: Posts: 2,963
    edited December 2014
    Was the rap song in that ultra stage from x tekken with the skateboarders the same guy who did the sf3 rap? It would be awesome if it was.

I really missed indestructible in the later versions of sf4 :/ especially the godlike character select variation
    CFN: Dmen05
    PSN: davmen05
    GenUser! wrote: »
    Was the rap song in that ultra stage from x tekken with the skateboarders the same guy who did the sf3 rap? It would be awesome if it was.

I really missed indestructible in the later versions of sf4 :/ especially the godlike character select variation

Nah, the new rap song is awfully cheesy. "This is our war, street fighter four!" ugh.

It's not awful but it's pretty damn cheesy, very Red Rapper.
    bypostman wrote: »
    The only decent songs in SF4 are the blast furnace theme and Indestructible

Cody's theme is pretty awesome, one of the better SF4 songs. Also Hakan's reveal trailer had good music, weird but good (Just like Hakan).