Wii U/3DS Matchup Discussion Thread: How many 7-3's can Little Mac still win!?

2»

Comments

• Rayne_Rayne_ Joined: Posts: 499
    To be fair Po...I was the only Peach player that had a perfect record against every Diddy Kong in tourney (ADHD, Gnes, Ninjalink etc)...in brawl. I still think she does okay in this version as well, but its going to be slightly more difficult due to Diddy's KO potential.

• Colonel-GilgameshColonel-Gilgamesh He rains salty tears Joined: Posts: 8,273
    I am still unsold on this. Rayne's perfomance in a past version does not a counter make.
    NNID: a2handedmonk
  • Raging_ZoroarkRaging_Zoroark Disgraceful! Joined: Posts: 1,294
    I'm not expert with matchups, but I think Mario is my wrost nightmare right now (I play R.O.B.). Cape makes gyros and lasers almost useless and once he gets a grab I eat tons of damage (everyone does, but R.O.B is easier to juggle). Fire balls are also annoying, and since my reflect is shit, and R.O.B's aerial mobility isn't that great, I can't do much other than power shielding. The only thing at my favor is that R.O.B is heavy, and Mario have problems killing upwards but he can build damage pretty fast.

Any tips?

Steam: Razor
    3DS FC: 0576-4330-3314
    NNID: Featther
  • UnSaxon51UnSaxon51 PUT ME IN YOUR DAMN CROSSOVER GAME OR ELSE Joined: Posts: 3,807
    Reviving this thread because I'm curious on people's opinions on Ryu's matchups.

In terms of mobility and weight, Ryu reminds me a lot of Snake from Brawl. He also has deceptively good recovery.
    Based on conversations in IRC, he probably loses to faster characters in general, but since most of those characters don't have great KO potential, he can still do really well.

Thoughts?
    NNID/XboxLive: UnSaxon51

The real reason Ridley isn't in Smash

"Haggar is Newton's Laws of Motion, the character." ~ ThatJollyOldBastid

"Mac is knocking the fabulous right out of Marth!" ~ Saitsu
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 22,589
    I think Ryu's hardest matchups are going to be against dedicated zoners/characters that can keep a lot of projectiles/hitboxes on the screen, and fast, mobile characters that can weave in and out of his attack range.

Sheik is obviously his worst matchup, but Diddy(yes, he's still good despite losing up air... git gud), Sonic, Greninja, and ZSS are going to give him hell, Jab Hadoken or not... On the opposite side of the spectrum, Rosalina, Mega Man(finally got a good matchup for once), ROB, Link, Toon Link, Duck Hunt, and Mii Gunner immediately come to mind as characters that can out-lame patient fireball Ryu, or just rip right through it with better projectiles/ranged normals.

More footsie based characters will probably be slight advantage... Chars like Marth, Mewtwo, and Dedede jump out on that front.

Ryu's major strengths are his solid all-around game and great recovery options, and once people get a handle on FADC "air-dashing" his mobility will be pretty good alongside Tatsumaki and his fox-trot dash. His biggest weakness is his over-reliance on SRK and F-Smash for kill moves... However, he has a dozen ways to combo into them or create pressure situations to land them. Also, his dair spikes at a unique angle and all his aerials are above average.

All in all, I think Ryu will find his place as a solid upper mid, as his toolset is versatile enough to keep him in the fight against pretty much anyone.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    He loses to zoners for sure, but I think he's got the tools against other characters, including speedsters.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 22,589
    He loses to zoners for sure, but I think he's got the tools against other characters, including speedsters.

Eh... Jab Hado and Focus Attack will only get you so far...

Especially when you're being BOUNCING FISH'D™ and Needled all over the place. Can't focus more than one hit, and the Hadoken(even Shakunetsu) dissipates when hit.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    Give it time. Ryu has the priority and the toolds to slow down speedsters. At least that's my opinion
2»