Third party PS4 padhack options

GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can!Joined: Posts: 5,514
If my DS4 padhack thread scared you from padhacking the official sony dual shock 4 controller then your in luck... sorta. There are currently two third party pads at the moment that are usable in adding ps4 support. Those being the Hori Fighting Commander 4 and the Guilty Gear pad. Now while they are both very easy to padhack the only downside to them is obtaining them is not as easy as getting a DS4 pad.
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
Twitter: @Gummowned
Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!

Comments

• GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,514
    edited April 2015
    PDP

Mortal Kombat X FightPad

Stand alone pinout:
    20150407_204914.jpg

While this pad is common ground there is an issue with it. If the pcb is powered, but not recognized by the PS3, PS4, or PC then all its button inputs will remain low. In other words, in a dual mod setup this pcb will cause issues as it will make the buttons seem like they are all being held down. If using it in a dual mod you will need to add diodes to every button input. The anode should be soldered to the signal line on the MKX pcb. The cathode should be soldered to the signal line of the dual mod setup. If you use it in a stand alone setup, no diodes are needed.
    20150428_220426.jpg
    Post edited by Gummo on
  • YenjoiYenjoi Joined: Posts: 556
    I agree its just kind of inconvenient to get these I have ordered a couple of them however.

From play Asia I wonder how long it will take.

http://m.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-4-paOS-13-49-en-70-7sn9.html
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,386
    Yenjoi wrote: »
    I agree its just kind of inconvenient to get these I have ordered a couple of them however.

From play Asia I wonder how long it will take.

http://m.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-4-paOS-13-49-en-70-7sn9.html
    Depending on the shipping, usually about 2 weeks. This is not factoring any delays from customs.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • nsdothacknsdothack Joined: Posts: 151
    Hey Gummo

I researched this controller some time ago and never discovered a concrete answer so I left the idea alone. Most of all Hori arcade sticks and controllers distributed in Japan are normally common line or common volt which make them not an option to dual mod to another PCB. But when that same exact arcade stick comes to the U.S. then it has a chance of being common ground. I have experimented with this idea from the HRAP VX-SA/VX-V3, VLX, Fighting Edge, KAI, N3-SA and the current RAP V4. Only the Hori arcade sticks brought to the U.S. that I've experienced in my private collection have been common ground. The only anomalies have been the Hori arcade sticks I've purchased exclusively from Japan. Are you saying that the Hori Fighting Commander 4 is in fact common ground as currently distributed in Japan? Thank you for your time.
    nsdothack wrote: »
    Hey Gummo

I researched this controller some time ago and never discovered a concrete answer so I left the idea alone. Most of all Hori arcade sticks and controllers distributed in Japan are normally common line or common volt which make them not an option to dual mod to another PCB. But when that same exact arcade stick comes to the U.S. then it has a chance of being common ground. I have experimented with this idea from the HRAP VX-SA/VX-V3, VLX, Fighting Edge, KAI, N3-SA and the current RAP V4. Only the Hori arcade sticks brought to the U.S. that I've experienced in my private collection have been common ground. The only anomalies have been the Hori arcade sticks I've purchased exclusively from Japan. Are you saying that the Hori Fighting Commander 4 is in fact common ground as currently distributed in Japan? Thank you for your time.

Yes, the Hori Fighting Commander 4 that is currently distributed in Japan is common ground.

I find it hard to believe that the hori sticks in Japan are not common ground. I know there are a few models that aren't (like the 360 EX, 360 EX2, and ps3 T6), but it doesn't make sense to have a common ground version of models for USA and non-common ground for Japan.
  • nsdothacknsdothack Joined: Posts: 151
    Thanks for the intel!

Also, I own 4 Hori VLX Premiums. One of them was Japanese distributed and it wasn't common ground. I have 2 HRAP VX-V3s. One was common ground and the other wasn't. Last was the N3-SA which was from Japan with the black and red box art and it wasn't common ground. Then I bought the same N3-SA with the black and blue box and it was common ground. I own over 19 Hori joysticks and they are either Tri or Quad modded and it has been a rule of thumb to expect the Japanese versions not to play well. Thank you for your help.
  • BushBush Joined: Posts: 305
    Nice one, when will the the GG pad be up?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,766 mod
    Interesting. Been thinking of padhacking a FC4 Pro to put into my OG TE.
  • wazwuzwazwuz Golden Fanta & Crown Project Joined: Posts: 382
    nice tread gummo, my FC4 just arriverd, will hack it on weekend
    ArcadeStick-Indonesia.com
  • Kid KaosKid Kaos Embrace Shadaloo Joined: Posts: 1,072
    so if i just wanted this to be for a dedicated ps4 stick i can just set it to ps4 wire everything up and not have to worry about wiring up a button to act as a switch? and if i wanted to wire up a switch console would it be as simple as just using push button? or am i gonna need an actual switch there
    All that remains are just peices of the past
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,500
    Kid Kaos wrote: »
    so if i just wanted this to be for a dedicated ps4 stick i can just set it to ps4 wire everything up and not have to worry about wiring up a button to act as a switch? and if i wanted to wire up a switch console would it be as simple as just using push button? or am i gonna need an actual switch there
    You'll likely need an actual switch. Otherwise, when you release the button, the PCB will jump back to the other console-mode.

Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    You'll likely need an actual switch. Otherwise, when you release the button, the PCB will jump back to the other console-mode.

that's what i was thinking, but i know radio shack has those push buttons that act as switches, which i might just have to do
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 715
    So..
    Japanese Hori Fighting Commander 4 is Common Ground, but Japanese Hori Stick isnt?

wow.. just wow
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
  • networkingyuppynetworkingyuppy RandoMadness. Joined: Posts: 2,322 mod
    You're a godsend Matt. Thank you.
    Team Spooky | Battle Circuits | Next Level
    GamePAD Inc. | CTF | Support a local game store today!
    Timtiktok. Mole Man City, even the Turtles can't even find you. Fen.
    facebook.com/networkingyuppy
    Twitter: @networkingyuppy
  • blackraenblackraen Joined: Posts: 229
    edited May 2015

Post edited by blackraen on
  • PrinceMurphyPrinceMurphy Joined: Posts: 322
    So have a KI TE2 with a crossbone and ps360+. I want to add a FC4 for ps4 only with auto switching. I know I'll need to add in an imp, but don't know the layout. Anyone care to post a diagram?
    So have a KI TE2 with a crossbone and ps360+. I want to add a FC4 for ps4 only with auto switching. I know I'll need to add in an imp, but don't know the layout. Anyone care to post a diagram?
    1) You can't get auto-switching with an Imp V2 for any setup that doesn't involve an MC Cthulhu.

2) That being said, you'll need to follow the "Basic setup" as outline in the datasheets for the Imp V2: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/imp2.pdf
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    Didn't think about the red-green colorblindness. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

I have the gg pad but its out on loan for bigger and better purposes. When I get it back I'll be posting the padhack info for it
  • PrinceMurphyPrinceMurphy Joined: Posts: 322
    edited December 2014
    1) You can't get auto-switching with an Imp V2 for any setup that doesn't involve an MC Cthulhu.

2) That being said, you'll need to follow the "Basic setup" as outline in the datasheets for the Imp V2: http://www.godlikecontrols.com/imp2.pdf

Are there any other auto switching pcb's on the market? I really don't wanna install a switch.

Edit: Also can u explain why the imp only works with the MC Cthulu? I thought it didn't matter since it's just handling data signals.

Second Edit: Ok. I see that autodetection isn't possible, but I can use a button for a switch. I just wanted to avoid installing a dpdt.
    Post edited by PrinceMurphy on

Are there any other auto switching pcb's on the market? I really don't wanna install a switch.

Edit: Also can u explain why the imp only works with the MC Cthulu? I thought it didn't matter since it's just handling data signals.

Second Edit: Ok. I see that autodetection isn't possible, but I can use a button for a switch. I just wanted to avoid installing a dpdt.

Yep. Auto-detection isn't possible on non-MC-Cthulhu combos with the Imp V2, but you can still use a simple button to switch inputs.
    Good luck on the tri-mod!

Looking for:
  • AmerikaAmerika Something witty here. Joined: Posts: 418

I have the same setup in my stick. I have the Crossbone inverted to go to the PS360+ and it will go to the XB1 pad by holding home. Introducing the Imp v2 into the chain allows me (and you) to use something like the select button (or any really) to switch to the PS4 padhack on connection while retaining the same functionality I currently have.
  • The_ThirdThe_Third Poverty Gamer Joined: Posts: 1,009
    edited December 2014
    So let me get this straight. Is tapping to all the buttons on the FC4 just a matter of finding a ground and the signal? No resistors needed for the triggers? I just basically have to use a DPDT switch to get the PS4/PS3 switch working?

And about the trigger switch, can I wire up L3/R3 buttons to trigger both the trigger button and the NC on the trigger switch so that I have access to all of the trigger buttons at any time?
    edited December 2014
    @The_Third‌
    1) Yes
    2) No, that's not how it works. Leave the trigger switch unconnected (ie, signal is held high), and you have access to all triggers (L1/L2, L3/R3) at the trigger solder points.

Looking for:
    Oh wow, I didn't realize the trigger switch didn't affect the R1/R2 button functions. That makes wiring a little bit easier then.
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 744
    edited December 2014
    I'm surprised that nobody is getting rid of the GG gamepad by selling it on ebay.

@‌Gummo

Any way to make that dpad more durable or replace it with a sega saturn dpad?

C-Sword wrote: »
    I'm surprised that nobody is getting rid of the GG gamepad by selling it on ebay.

@‌Gummo

its a collectors item that breaks easily (the d-pad comes off to easily).

Replacing the GG p-ad with a SS D-pad?
    Have your 2 part epoxy, bondo and some cutting tools for the plastic
    for the electrical side, pref board and tac switches
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 744
    Darksakul wrote: »

@‌Gummo

Or fit the GG Pad PCB inside a Sega Saturn shell?

Darksakul wrote: »

@‌Gummo

Or fit the GG Pad PCB inside a Sega Saturn shell?
    I highly doubt that process is as straight forwards as you think.
    Gummo wrote: »
    Didn't think about the red-green colorblindness. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

I have the gg pad but its out on loan for bigger and better purposes. When I get it back I'll be posting the padhack info for it

hey bud, looking at this it seems impossible for the L buttons to be wired up to function on both consoles.. is that correct?
    hey bud, looking at this it seems impossible for the L buttons to be wired up to function on both consoles.. is that correct?
    Why would you say that? The console-selection switch is completely independent of the trigger-selection switch. Just leave the trigger-selection switch alone, and you should have access to L1/2/3 and R1/2/3 for both consoles.

Looking for:
    Why would you say that? The console-selection switch is completely independent of the trigger-selection switch. Just leave the trigger-selection switch alone, and you should have access to L1/2/3 and R1/2/3 for both consoles.

i get that but thats for the pad, if you look at is pin out when 1 is high ps4 all buttons function as normal, but when 1 is low ps3, the L's become Rs

i get that but thats for the pad, if you look at is pin out when 1 is high ps4 all buttons function as normal, but when 1 is low ps3, the L's become Rs
    No, that's not what I'm saying.
    There's TWO separate switches with a "1" position. One of them controls PS3/PS4 functionality. The OTHER controls R1/R2/L1/L2 or L1/L2/L3/R3 functionality.
    One switch is labeled from the front. The other is labeled on the back.

Looking for:
    edited December 2014

EDIT::

never mind my ignorance i realized where i was reading it wrong.
    edited December 2014
    I was able to successfully padhack the FC4! It's pretty easy apart from me botching the trace to the solder pot for the console switch because I had a hard time removing the soldered switch. Fortunately I was able to solder on the little copper dot exposed in the trace. I put it in a Qanba Q3 blank case.
    The_Third wrote: »
    I was able to successfully padhack the FC4! It's pretty easy apart from me botching the trace to the solder pot for the console switch because I had a hard time removing the soldered switch. Fortunately I was able to solder on the little copper dot exposed in the trace. I put it in a Qanba Q3 blank case.

Any reason why you removed the switch? If left set on the ps4 side the system selection signal is left unconnected. Leaving you able to wire it up to an external switch that just needs to connect it to ground to go into ps3 mode.
    I didn't know any better, and I wanted to get fancy with a lower profile mount. But after that first one, I didn't bother doing it for the direction and trigger switch.
    Gummo wrote: »
    The_Third wrote: »

Any reason why you removed the switch? If left set on the ps4 side the system selection signal is left unconnected. Leaving you able to wire it up to an external switch that just needs to connect it to ground to go into ps3 mode.

pic of how you did this? if you have. i never had to wire up a switch before so I'm not entirely sure
  • YenjoiYenjoi Joined: Posts: 556
    Would it be possible to take off the slider switch that currently on it and re attach a SPDT switch so that both ps3 and ps4 would be on at the same time or would this cause issues for the board?