Calgary Thread 2015

Comments

• InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,608
    edited January 2015
    not that i know anything about the tournament but i was under the impression that both saturday and sunday would be straight sf4, all day, in order to get all the matches done

they have ... 28 FT7s to do, at a conservative estimate of 30 minutes per match, without even counting down time, that's hard to do in 2 days
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    edited January 2015
    No fucking way!!!!!! I just realized who Stuart Scott is... oh man, that's brutal =(

Just started watching this video in the NBA subreddit after I read your post Ricky, I saw Lebron's instagram post on sportscentre too

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

=( Rough man. 49, younger than my dad. Ickkkkkk

edit: =((((((
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,764
    Haha, I guess Josh is right about taste because to me they are the worst of the bunch.

I'm not wrong about SF3 though. It's awful. Josh your opinion is wrong, nyah!

Yeah whatever, Johnny B. Goodgames. Go play Marvel 3 some more.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

I am raising money to pay my cat's vet bills. Please help out and spread the link. https://www.gofundme.com/mowglithecat

• thebestthebest #electricboogaloo Joined: Posts: 8,529
    I decided i want to play all final fantasy games in order (prequels and sequels get pushed to their respective position... FF4 -> FF4 Interlude -> FF4: The After Years, before FF5 etc) over 2015.

Finished FF1 over the weekend, dreading japanese FF2 with its wonky ass leveling system.. hnnghh
  • Shanghai KidShanghai Kid Joined: Posts: 2,261
    thebest wrote: »
    I decided i want to play all final fantasy games in order (prequels and sequels get pushed to their respective position... FF4 -> FF4 Interlude -> FF4: The After Years, before FF5 etc) over 2015.

Finished FF1 over the weekend, dreading japanese FF2 with its wonky ass leveling system.. hnnghh

Lol. Nice. Is that your new year's resolution?

Will you be playing the side FF's as well like Mystic Quest / Crystal Chronicles / Dissidia etc? Also don't forget about FFXII: Revenant Wings and make sure you have a bottle of Advil handy when you go through FFXIII 1-3.
  • MisguidedAngelMisguidedAngel Greetings, mortal! Joined: Posts: 5,170
    edited January 2015
    Final Fantasy Legends mmm

Edit: oh, and also the super shitty FFT "sequels" on the gameboys. And Chrystal Chronicles. So many games...

Lol. Nice. Is that your new year's resolution?

Will you be playing the side FF's as well like Mystic Quest / Crystal Chronicles / Dissidia etc? Also don't forget about FFXII: Revenant Wings and make sure you have a bottle of Advil handy when you go through FFXIII 1-3.

not really a resolution but something i've wanted to do for a long time now.
    I have Mystic Quest on the list but not Crystal Chronicles/Dissidia/Revenant Wings/Tactics Advanced/Legends/Chocobo etc... theres too many spinoffs that i don't want to bother with.. maybe after i finish the main games.

What i have on the list is:
    Final Fantasy I
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy IV - Interlude
    Final Fantasy IV - The After Years
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy X HD
    Final Fantasy X-2 HD
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Final Fantasy Lightning Returns

Also, definitely not looking forward to any of the 'XIII' games lol
  • DirgesongDirgesong YOGA SURPRISE! Joined: Posts: 2,591
    Teyah wrote: »
    Hey Canada Cup guys I heard that GGXrd may be getting moved to Saturday instead of Friday this weekend. Can someone confirm one way or another?

Yeah we were weighing the option and talked to Les a little bit about it. Ultimately we decided to push Xrd later in the day Friday and allow on site registration, and due to the venue giving us an upgrade on our space, are allowing BYOC all day Friday and Saturday instead. This close to the event it's not fair to the players coming from out of town who booked off work to play Friday to bump a game into Saturday.

All the updates are right here:
    http://canada-cup.ca/canada-cup-gaming-presents-the-masters-series/
    you're gonna have to basically do a game every 2-3 weeks to finish that list, that's a big commitment, good luck

if you turn off your OCD to get all the chests/grind for levels, you can probably finish each game in under 40 hours
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Haha, I guess Josh is right about taste because to me they are the worst of the bunch.

I'm not wrong about SF3 though. It's awful. Josh your opinion is wrong, nyah!

Yeah whatever, Johnny B. Goodgames. Go play Marvel 3 some more.

Aww, come on Josh you can do better than that.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
    Infil wrote: »
    you're gonna have to basically do a game every 2-3 weeks to finish that list, that's a big commitment, good luck

if you turn off your OCD to get all the chests/grind for levels, you can probably finish each game in under 40 hours

Yeah i'm not going to 100% them all thats for damn sure, i'll grind enough to beat the game and finish it. If it takes longer then whatever, i'll still finish the list!

FF1 is down, hopefully i can do FF2 this week lol
  • Shanghai KidShanghai Kid Joined: Posts: 2,261
    i'll still finish the list!

Dirge of Cerberus is pants. I bet you give up there ;).
    i'll still finish the list!

Dirge of Cerberus is pants. I bet you give up there ;).

Haha hopefully not! unless Crisis Core doesn't do it to me first
  • derrykderryk mister science brain Joined: Posts: 4,799
    man dirge of Cerberus was tits, i liked that game.

that was one of the few games on ps2 that allowed you to plug in a keyboard/mouse for controller use
    Stop liking things I don't like.
    http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/05/super-smash-bros-melee-in-project-m-out-at-community-effort-orlando-2015/

le sigh, i guess PM's time is done

guess it just goes to show, no matter how good a game is, it doesn't matter one fucking iota if it's not mainstream
  • KilleyKilley Game Over Yeeeaaaahhhhh Joined: Posts: 5,556
    edited January 2015
    Jebailey is a huge smash fan and a big supporter for the smash community so nobody should take his decision to remove Project M as a means to promote only main stream titles. He made a post on the Smash Boards explaining himself in more detail and that SRK article should have included this.
    CEOJebailey

Jebailey here. I just wanted to chime in after everything and I have no problems being upfront with the community since CEO will always get its biggest support from the community directly.

I loved PM last year(Minus the coaching that took forever between sets). Working with the PM team to create a CEO Stage was flat out amazing and those guys deserve all the credit in the world, modded game or not, for putting so much passion into it.

I have yet to have any direct interaction with Nintendo for CEO at all. Would I love to talk to them about some sort of support, of course. I'm a Nintendo fan boy since I was 4 years old. Any time official support comes to a tournament in the past few years it's helped the games featured. However the community itself supported CEO in a huge way itself between Melee and PM so hosting it is no problem at all especially with @RagingCherry and the UCF Gaming Knights doing such a kick *** job.

From a marketing standpoint, all their focus is on Smash 4 now that's it's out for a bit. Who knows if it'll last past this year. I just know to keep PM alive for the fans, streaming it or hosting it at any big event could cause issues such as having the game taken down for good. Not trying to stir things up but I just want to clear the air that the decision isn't really ours to make otherwise I'd be up for hosting it. Although I was honest when I said hosting 3 different Smash Games at an event with more than just Smash would definitely be a challenge.

So I'm sorry to the Diehard PM fans that your game isn't featured this year. I try to please as many people as I can with CEO and feature as much as I can without going overboard but for the most part it's something I'd rather not deal with worrying about it getting shut down right before the event happens and what not. Just cause one or 2 events aren't hosting a game doesn't mean stop playing it. If your local community plays it, keep having fun and enjoying it.

With that said It'll be my pleasure to host the Smash Community again this year and hope to see you guys there. If anything changes for the better on the PM front I won't hesitate to talk about it.
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
    i'm not blaming jebailey for it... i mean, melee is still the most popular title (i kind of wish it wasn't, there's only so much i can watch those 5 characters), and smash 4 is the new hotness. smash games tend to take a long time to run, so it makes sense he's limiting himself to 2.

it just sucks that PM is always going to be the least supported of the three games, despite it being in my opinion the best. it'll always be the fastest to be dropped, nintendo doesn't want it to exist so it's always hanging on by a knife's edge at any event nintendo knows about.

the fact that the wii doesn't hook up to hdmi makes it hard to run as well. i wish they could figure out how to get the wii U gamecube adapter to work with project M on the wii u... that would probably help its longevity (the game does run on wii U, you just have to use wiimotes). but hey, whoever heard of peripherals not working properly on next gen systems, am i right fellas???

i just wish we could all play a good fucking fighting game that we all like instead of having to deal with so much bullshit around companies being retarded because they don't understand a bloody thing about their own game (nintendo, capcom) and peripherals not working. i'm really sick of it.
    X...rd?
    xrd has all the peripheral problems associated with next gen, plus (from what i hear) terrible online

i don't know enough about the game to comment on whether arcsys makes good design decisions or not
    edited January 2015
    The online was initially very crappy but they patched it and it seems better now. And most people seem to be playing on PS3 anyway (even though it's ugly and you're all sinners).
    edited January 2015
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/scarlett-johansson-star-dreamworks-ghost-761118

"you know that japanese woman motoko kusanagi in ghost in the shell? how about we get the whitest, ugliest, most peroxide, bleached, lip-reduced, cheekbone-lifted plastic surgerized 3DPD bitch in the entire universe to play her? this is a GREAT idea" -hollywood

I am raising money to pay my cat's vet bills. Please help out and spread the link. https://www.gofundme.com/mowglithecat

Stop liking things I don't like.

180px-ShakespeareNoU.jpg
    edited January 2015
    809969ddf7f2214bfbb7fea33c7a3ed5eb47dd2f140765c946f7f66e1ea2e363.jpg

I would let scarlett poop on my chest.
    if you think scarlett johansson is the ugliest woman in the universe, i think you've got bigger problems
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,188
    She's not playing a Japanese woman, she's playing an interchangeable cyborg body that happens to be piloted by a brain that was maybe born and grew up in Japan, or maybe was just programmed to think it was.

And read that way, it makes perfect sense for the part to go to her, since a popular cyborg body will probably be designed to look like a woman a large portion of the world's male population finds attractive.
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
    Appropriate that it's the same studio that made Shrek. Guess it can be called Ghost in the Shrek.

• evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 4,275
    josh you are insane to play all of those FF games. not because they are FFs, mainly cos i dont know how anyone could make so much time to play so many RPGs, like holy shit.

also gerg do you still have that couch and coffee table? did you need to get rid of them like immediately?
    3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
    there better be the lesbo boat scene from the original manga.
    evilweevle wrote: »
    i dont know how anyone could make so much time to play so many RPGs, like holy shit.

daaaamn.jpg

• blackaddeblackadde Don't let me down! Joined: Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 2015
    i think p. much everyone we know is playing xrd on ps3, the only moron who got it for a system that needs new sticks is me and maybe andrew?
    The Rindoukan Bible: A Makoto Guidebook - http://otersi.com/rindoukan/
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    So, do you notice any real difference between the versions gameplay-wise?
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • TeyahTeyah Return of the Dragon Joined: Posts: 1,125
    edited January 2015
    I also got it on PS4 so I could play on my HDCRT in full 1080. Then I realised that the PS3 version can also output at 1080, and the PS4 version doesn't have CRT scaling options while the PS3 port does, welp. So I'm back on PS3.

Gameplay is 100% the same on both systems, as long as you keep PS3 in Processing Mode (removes a couple of background characters on some stages).
    I see in frames IRL
    evilweevle wrote: »
    josh you are insane to play all of those FF games. not because they are FFs, mainly cos i dont know how anyone could make so much time to play so many RPGs, like holy shit.

also gerg do you still have that couch and coffee table? did you need to get rid of them like immediately?

I believe i can do eeeeet! even if it takes longer than a year, given i have work n shit too lol
  • Nos99Nos99 Science Scrub Joined: Posts: 4,651
    Dave! It's actually mark's gear but he's looking to get rid of it... you just have to find a way to get it. :/
    yea thats the part im trying to figure out. id either have to rent a truck or perhaps ask my boss if i can borrow one of the work trucks, but he is in the US for a week.

or if anyone here has a truck and wouldnt mind helping me out i could swing them some cash/petrol money/whatever.
    Issue #1 of the MKX comic comes out in a matter of minutes hnnngh so excited.
    It's happening boys,
    Tony Hawk is making a PS4 game. I Hope it has classic songs from the old games!

I was a big fan of tony hawk, but I couldn't beat the HD remake due to lack of interest... I dunno, I hope it's good but I don't know what they'll do to bring me back
    PR Rogaine is attending the master series, RIP poopmonton/amin/other guys ;_;
  • ImagineVCImagineVC open your mind Joined: Posts: 5,037
    i just can't see anyone other than Daigo winning this weekend. he's the master of FT7.
    i agree. daigo really tore it up in the latest topanga. it's hard to imagine him failing to adapt over that many games.
    did you see that article on eventhubs where they translated a sako interview after topanga A league? he basically said daigo was unstoppable and he felt like he had no chance of ever winning

i don't think anyone can beat daigo in a ft7 if he has time to prepare, especially with an explosive character like eryu and daigo's great defense
    Thats a given bros, i just wanted to fire shots at poopmonton getting rekt for the last spot~
    the real question is, supposing pr rog qualifies, what position will he get?

he's capable of beating most of the field in a FT7, but will he? maybe he'll beat kazunoko or xiao hai? i don't think he can beat luffy, snake eyez, daigo, xian... maybe he can beat pepeday, they're both read-heavy players
    edited January 2015
    heres a good video on how to draw

dammit looks like the US is getting a limited ed version of majoras mask 3ds that comes with a skullkid figurine.

im hoping it gets a canadian release too but im not gonna hold my breath.
    daniel you have to take out pr rog
    piss him off with rolento stand jab please

then react to ex dash straight with ultra pretty please