Calgary Thread 2015

1211212213214215217»

Comments

• InfilInfil una catástrofe con una pelota de beisbol Joined: Posts: 8,606
    edited December 2015
    ImagineVC wrote: »
    he didn't use any V-meter.

the lariat spin thing he did was his v-trigger (the guy had activated it with infinite v-trigger meter before he started recording)

normally stand strong is not special cancelable or regular lariat doesn't reach

so you do have to spend v-trigger as well to get this to work

edit - actually it's even more situational than i thought, this combo apparently only works if v-trigger is already activated before the wakeup DP (he can't activate it mid combo and have it work)
    Visit my Complete Killer Instinct Guide! Learn everything you wanted to know about the game. Every mechanic and character discussed with embedded video examples!
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    edited January 2016
    @Jamie

Like you did?
    Post edited by Duck Strong on
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • GandzGandz Andy B Joined: Posts: 315
    edited January 2016
    It's so tempting to make a new thread right now

Edit: also happy new year
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 4,673
    uhogJuc.png
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Swag is for girls. Class is for Maidens.

GigaMaidens on deviantART and on twitter @GigaMaidens

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

• KilleyKilley Game Over Yeeeaaaahhhhh Joined: Posts: 5,556
    edited January 2016
    I wouldn't completely believe that Gief combo btw. The hack version of phase 3 has issues with Gief, Laura, and Sim. In the video you can't really tell if he V-Trigger cancelled or if he already had V-Trigger activated since his V-Gauge doesn't go down at all. It seemed liked he had it activated already since we didn't see the V-Trigger activation but that could also be an issue with the hacked version. If he had V-Trigger activated prior to the combo then you won't actually get that long float state as well. This combo seems like it wouldn't work properly in general.
    ImagineVC wrote: »
    i knew i was gonna get that type of response but lets have an intelligent discussion tyler, i agree wakeup dp should be punished but not this hard. that's not balanced gameplay. zangief did blow an entire super bar on that punish but he probably gained at least half a bar before using the Super and he didn't use any V-meter.

Uh...You saw similar damaging punishes in SF4 when someone had full Ultra and 1-2 meters stocked anyways. The only reason we didn't see that level of punish as often is because of the FADC on block mechanic, which heavily favored anyone with an FADCable invincible special from vanilla to AEv2012.

What you're seeing is someone punishing a DP with full meter and V-Trigger so the damage is going to be high plus Gief does more damage than other members of the cast. As mentioned in my first half of this post Gief needed to use V-Meter because that lariat spinning move that launched Cammy is his V-Trigger but it only launches if you used an entire bar of V-Trigger. If he did this midway through his V-Trigger it wouldn't juggle that high. You're making judgments on the game without knowing what's actually going on in the game.

If you guessed right on your DP then you reset the momentum in your favor because you've just scored a knockdown. You're not going to get any ambiguous mix up options afterwards though. You can aim for a meaty, throw, or other option to perpetuate your offensive momentum. Gief has no invincible reversal and slow normals so he's going to have to accept your pressure for a bit. I think that's already a significant enough reward for a reversal DP. You shouldn't be rewarded with high damage or an ambiguous mix up option off of an invincible reversal like in SF4. That's skewing the risk/reward in favor of the person on the defensive. If you choose not to DP and the opponent decides to bait a DP then they have to give up offensive momentum and you're back at neutral with maybe the opponent being at positional advantage. Pretty good trade all because you have this special move in your arsenal.
    Post edited by Killey on
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394