Frequently Asked Questions Thread

Comments

• akuaku スピリチュアルやからね! Joined: Posts: 3,865
    edited December 2015
    iWinWeDate wrote: »
    Is it possible to red parry the 2nd hit of chun li's s2? Thanks in advance.

Useless but fun fact, certain hits of Chun's SA2 don't cause chip damage, so you can redparry certain parts and you'll still have 100% health. :V
    Not sure if this is where to ask but what do y'all think is the probability of 3rd strike making it onto ps4?

Probably as much as Darkstalkers making it to PS4...never say never, but don't get your hopes up.
  • Dan_The_ManDan_The_Man FGC Hipster Joined: Posts: 65
    aku wrote: »
    iWinWeDate wrote: »
    Is it possible to red parry the 2nd hit of chun li's s2? Thanks in advance.

Useless but fun fact, certain hits of Chun's SA2 don't cause chip damage, so you can redparry certain parts and you'll still have 100% health. :V
    Not sure if this is where to ask but what do y'all think is the probability of 3rd strike making it onto ps4?

Probably as much as Darkstalkers making it to PS4...never say never, but don't get your hopes up.

You had to bring up Darkstalkers... The pain in my heart is doubled now. Guess I'm sticking to fightcade or snagging a ps3 when it gets cheap. :(
    #KeepDreaming
  • ryan.ryan. Joined: Posts: 1,918
    Just play it on an older system. CRT or bust.
  • LowtideLowtide Joined: Posts: 70
    I've been trying to kara-throw with Q and I do get one out from time to time but I'd like to know if it's possible for the naked eye to see when the characters start moving forward so that I can know when to press lp+lk.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    Lowtide wrote: »
    I've been trying to kara-throw with Q and I do get one out from time to time but I'd like to know if it's possible for the naked eye to see when the characters start moving forward so that I can know when to press lp+lk.

no you cannot.
    Play more.
  • LowtideLowtide Joined: Posts: 70
    So it's basically pure instinct?
    Lowtide wrote: »
    So it's basically pure instinct?

Part-instinct, part-judging the proper ranges for kara throws.
    You just know how the input feels. It's not instinct, just practice the timing of it. It's almost like pressing all 3 buttons at the same time but not quite, just a hair slower on the throw.
    Play more.
  • free_manfree_man Joined: Posts: 81
    Chun-Li question: if I do cr. lp + lk to cancel in SA2 it can be considered a option select? If it hit then will confirm in SA2. If not, a crouch tech will happen if the opponent try to grab.
    Not a confirm, but yeah that qualifies as an option select. Probably not a good one though, since
    1) the opponent can just block it
    2) SGGK
    What is the best way to have more chances in each strength of a special move? While I write this comment I double tapping for low and pianoing for medium and heavy moves. Is this right or should I double tapping for all and let pianoing only for super arts?
    Don't understand the question.

Please rephrase it.

I think he means trying to get the timing to cancel into a special move? Since button strength matters for specials (and some supers)

I just can't think of any time where would be necessary...
    Play more.
    ryan. wrote: »
    Don't understand the question.

Please rephrase it.

I did this album to illustrate my question.
    If you want lp flash you press lp. If you want mp flash you'd press mp. Hp for hp. There's no pianoing here because you are choosing the strength of what special you want to do.
  • FAI_CWFAI_CW Secretly a Twelve main Joined: Posts: 132
    Hey, I've been playing some 3rd Strike on FightCade again recently and noticed a couple issues that I experienced while playing.

1. Performing fireball/uppercut motions feels quite difficult on my controller (xbox360 controller)
    It feels like the "Down-Towards" input is very hard to hit, the deadzone before the input is insanely big. I pretty much have to grind the edge of the joystick to hit this input.
    Is that because of my controller?
    This also makes blocking low difficult.

I had the same issue when I tried out Guilty Gear for the first time. (this made me not try to learn GG all together actually).
    For the record, I did try GG on a TE2 fightstick, so I doubt it was the deadzone of the controller for "Down-Towards" in this case.

Like, I just can't point my finger at why this is.
    I don't want to have to move my joystick all the way to the edge on down-towards to make an uppercut work. That shouldn't be the case imo.
    Is 3rd Strike (and GG for that matter) simply that precise with their inputs?

2. How in the world are you supposed to block Urien's reflector setups?
    Are they simply unblockable? I find it really frustrating to play against Urien :(
  • darkhiryuudarkhiryuu Hello Hella Joined: Posts: 202
    Which setups with Urien are you talking about? The midscreen one you can block but it's tricky to do because you have to alternate directions depending on what is hitting you when. You most likely need to parry depending on which setup they're doing on you.
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    I assume from your post that you're using an analog stick since you are mentioning dead zones. you should likely use an arcade stick or if you're going to use pad, use the d-pad. I have no idea what mechanisms 3s (or any other games) use to decide what analog inputs translate to, but I suspect analog stick is always going to be the least accurate control method available.

if Urien puts Aegis on you in the corner and mixes high vs low, you just need to block the attacks correctly. if its an unblockable setup, you have to parry or block out. there's a couple videos out there about how to do this. Ryan covered it roughly a week ago

also it's easy to screw up parrying out, and if I'm not mistaken Uriens can mix it up so that you have to guess how to parry. so maybe sensible advice is "try really hard not to get hit by the things that lead to unblockables."
    IglooBob wrote: »
    I assume from your post that you're using an analog stick since you are mentioning dead zones. you should likely use an arcade stick or if you're going to use pad, use the d-pad. I have no idea what mechanisms 3s (or any other games) use to decide what analog inputs translate to, but I suspect analog stick is always going to be the least accurate control method available.

I figured so. I've been told a couple times to get a stick for 3s or use a D-Pad.
    Too bad the D-Pad on the Xbox 360 controller is probably just as bad as the analog stick.
    Maybe I'll try out my SNES controller for it. That thing is in godlike condition.

With SF4 and SF5 they probably made the deadzone a lot more forgiving (like several other things) for pad users, since they are the majority of players worldwide.
    Guess I'm a bit spoiled.
    also it's easy to screw up parrying out, and if I'm not mistaken Uriens can mix it up so that you have to guess how to parry. so maybe sensible advice is "try really hard not to get hit by the things that lead to unblockables."

I don't have the timing for quick rising down yet, so no surprise that I find myself in these situations a lot.
    3s in general feels more mix up based than the later games to me (at least SF5, havn't played SF4 in a while).
    I guess that makes sense, since you have parries and no glorious 8 frames of input delay lol.

One quick question btw.
    Regarding tick throws, if for example Akuma does a standing short and uses that for a tick throw setup, can I not use low short/jab to blow this attempt up?
    I don't know if my timing is wrong, but I can't seem to do normals to block these setups like in SF4 and SF5. I'm left with teching or jumping.
  • JAK..JAK.. Joined: Posts: 544
    FAI_CW wrote: »

One quick question btw.
    Regarding tick throws, if for example Akuma does a standing short and uses that for a tick throw setup, can I not use low short/jab to blow this attempt up?
    I don't know if my timing is wrong, but I can't seem to do normals to block these setups like in SF4 and SF5. I'm left with teching or jumping.

A properly timed light button will beat a perfectly timed throw after a tick, but it comes with the risk that they will parry and punish with a fat combo.

edited July 2016
    i thought throws always had priority in that situation? like if a throw would hit and a strike would hit same frame, throw wins.

but in actual play i don't think anyone gets it so perfect that they're doing shit like throw being active on the first frame the opponent comes out of blockstun (from the tick setup) even though it can happen.

so even without the priority thing you can get grabbed during startup if they just did something that left them + and close enough to immediately follow up.
    but otherwise yeah the issue is that parry means if they catch you trying to stop the throw you think is coming, they are going to hurt you much much more, especially if you do a low normal. in 3S when crouched you take extra damage. i don't know all the specifics just that you do.
    Play more.
    after blocking or getting hit by a move you gain 5'ish frames of throw invulnerability. So as long as your move is active before the invulnerability ends, you will beat the throw. Double tapping your input makes it easier, but if you don't have a quick button it can be somewhat hard to time. Some characters can do this better than others and some get better rewards for doing this.

edited July 2016
    oh i didn't know about an extra kind of throw invulnerablity outside of wakeup.
    i just assumed hit/blockstun basically took care of that since you're throw invulnerable in both.

so you mean that after hit/blockstun you have a few extra frames of throw invulnerablity tacked on?

interesting.
    Play more.
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,398
    I think it's always been like that in every version of SF. You can beat the light attacks with tick setups that leave enough frame advantage for the opponent's light attack to only activate after the throw invulnerability window.
    It's a simple numbers game.

Frame data is your friend.
    edited July 2016
    ryan. wrote: »
    It's a simple numbers game.

Frame data is your friend.

this is what i thought but what JAK said sounds like not that?
    ilitirit wrote: »
    I think it's always been like that in every version of SF. You can beat the light attacks with tick setups that leave enough frame advantage for the opponent's light attack to only activate after the throw invulnerability window.

Making sure I get what you mean. You're agreeing with what JAK said, that you get extra frames which are unrelated to hit/blockstun during which you're throw invulnerable.

Just trying to clarify. I've never heard of any special throw invulnerability outside of wakeup and obviously jumping/prejump.
    Not implying that means it doesn't exist, it's just why i'm curious now.
    Play more.
    It is a numbers game, but you need to know what numbers apply and when.

You gain throw invulnerability on

-wakeup
    -after blocking an attack
    -getting hit by an attack
    -landing after getting reset out of the air.

• p1nkt1t5p1nkt1t5 Joined: Posts: 658
    Is this game playable on ps4? I see it on ps now. Not sure if its playable on the ps4 system.
    SFV: Cammy, Yun
    SF4: Yun

1HC to Super Makes SFV Satisfactory

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-TOpukQ

When I Miss, Salt >:(

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-miss-Y4J9bL
    iirc someone tried the psnow version and it was awful.
    Play more.
  • p1nkt1t5p1nkt1t5 Joined: Posts: 658
    Dece. Thanks.
    SFV: Cammy, Yun
    SF4: Yun

1HC to Super Makes SFV Satisfactory

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-TOpukQ

When I Miss, Salt >:(

http://makeagif.com/gif/1hc-to-super-miss-Y4J9bL
    Tebbo wrote: »

Can confirm, it's trash.
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 888

Why was it trash? I didn't see any problems with it, but I only had the psnow version during a free week trial so I didn't get to play too much.
    Injustice 2 - Wonder Woman, Joker
    Boring, stale, predictable FGs - Cammy, Kuma, whatever yawn zzzzz
    Greenwood wrote: »
    Why was it trash? I didn't see any problems with it, but I only had the psnow version during a free week trial so I didn't get to play too much.

To be fair, I only played it through PSNow on my computer. I don't have a PS4 and I have no idea how that'd go, but out of all the versions I've played, it was the laggiest experience I've ever had with 3S.
    As a beginner, is it still worth getting 3rd Strike for Xbox 360 at this point in time?
    I'm having a lot of fun currrently, and since I need something to do while I'm away from home during school weeks, I thought of 3rd Strike.

I remember someone saying that 3S Online Edition nowadays is "just all the good players playing each other all day".
    Does that mean that a beginner like me won't be able to find a good amount of competition of my skill level on this platform?

I could bring my PC with me to school and use Fightcade, but setting up an Xbox and monitor, rather than an entire setup seems more comfortable.
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    There are a lot of bad or beginner players on xbl playing in ranked, but certain hours are more active than others. There's also a Facebook chat and discord group for the "regulars" of xbl but the skill level of that group is relatively high compared to the ranked players. I think if you're going to play on xbl it is useful to know those players and be able to easily set up a lobby even if they might be pretty difficult to beat at first.
    There are a lot of bad or beginner players on xbl playing in ranked, but certain hours are more active than others. There's also a Facebook chat and discord group for the "regulars" of xbl but the skill level of that group is relatively high compared to the ranked players. I think if you're going to play on xbl it is useful to know those players and be able to easily set up a lobby even if they might be pretty difficult to beat at first.

Alright thanks :)
    Could you tell me how to join said Discord channel or who I should talk to regarding getting an invite?
  • DuralathDuralath 3S Gatekeeper Joined: Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Greenwood wrote: »

Laggy. Like, worse than the initial PS3/360 release. Ugh.
    CFN: Duralath/ServantArcher FightCade: ServantArcher/Kyros Valchion
    3rd Strike: Alex/Makoto/Yun
    Street Fighter V:: Karin/Alex
    twitch.tv/Duralath
    Shoot to thrill.
    So I've been playing Ryu a lot lately and when I play on FightCade, people keep telling me to use Denjin, but I'm not sure if I understand 3rd Strike enough already to add this variable into my gameplan yet.

CA1 is nice damage, I don't really see the application for Denjin outside of the medium Uppercut into Denjin setup (tbh I've never been able to use that in a match).
    Should I sit down to figure out Denjin now, or is it better to really understand "how" 3S is played before going in that deep?
  • DevdanDevdan Joined: Posts: 538
    Sounds like you have the right idea. Both supers are good, but SA3 is definitely more gimmicky. Especially online where it's harder to parry consistently.
  • Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,426
    Work on Super 1 first. SA3 is a double sworded tool not yet capable to be grasped by beginners or intermediates.