Venom arcade stick PS4/PS3

Comments

• PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,431
    1. Yes

2. I'll have to dig out up after work, it's somewhere in the mayflash v2 thread.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,878
    slimifyd wrote: »
    hey guys just to check obsf30 are the right size buttons for this stick right?

Also someone mentioned needing a jst cable for the stick can some confirm what cable I need (a link to one would be great) and that does the jlf stick just fit on the mount already there?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any help :)
    If it was not clear before I will cover it now

The 8 front main 30mm buttons can be replaced easily by any Japanese style 30mm arcade buttons to include Sanwa OBSF 30 buttons.
    The mount was intended for a JLF with the stock JLF-P1 Mounting Plate.

As for the JST harness? There no easy drop in cable that take over the existing Joystick wiring.
    Assuming the Venom's board is common ground (or at least common ground for the joystick) you would need to spice in a Sanwa JLF-H harness or a Seimitsu HP-5 harness (they are the same thing, different brands)

if the joystick wiring is not common ground, you need individually tabbed micro switches on the joystick. For Seimitsu joysticks, these are joysticks without the -01 at the end of the part number
    For the JLF you would have to replace the switches with individually tabbed switches or cut the traces on the Sanwa TP-MA PCB Assembly and solder the wires directly to the switches.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,431
    edited March 2015
    Here's a 5 pack of the cable for a jlf. http://m.ebay.com/itm/311071176692?_mwBanner=1&_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649
    Personally, I'd splice in as suggested above.
  • slimifydslimifyd Joined: Posts: 2
    thanks very much for getting back to me :)

it's a shame there is no way to avoid wire splitting. I'm not going to lie that seems a little daunting lol the stick as stock is ok but after using the jlf/obsf set up (badly) it just feels a little weak...
    I can't tell for certain, but based on the pcb picture sequo posted uou can use the value I linked to to avoid wire splicing. I think there's a 5 pin jst slot right beside the white ribbon cable. Open it up and take a clearer picture of the pcb and a can tell you.
  • MicrophonicMicrophonic Headbutt Evangelist Joined: Posts: 108
    SO, i got mine in the mail today from germany, 140 CAD including shipping and taxes. Everything seems to work well, but there is a slight scratch on the plexi. Oh well.

My impressions of the case are very positive, good weight, really nice magnetic front plexi which makes changing art a breeze and its size is quite respectable.

As for the buttons, imo they are terrible the combination of travel distance and resistance makes them fairly unenjoyable. I'd recommend changing them asap.

The stick itself, feels like a JLF but the activation seemed closer to that of a ls-58. The throw feels the same. I confirm that the gates are interchangable. Here is a pic of the venom stick with an old jlf octo gate just to confirm.
    4RtQmW6.jpg

Overall pretty happy. I really recommend this to people who want to perhaps upgrade non standard (jlf/obsf) button/stick configurations that are going to buy parts for a stick anyway. Seems like a great case to do simple art, button and stick mods too. I personnally can't wait to throw a LS-32 and some obsf in there.
    Profile picture from my friend Seb at tesseractmemory.tumblr.com/
  • fachiri1808fachiri1808 Joined: Posts: 24
    Anyway to get this in America? Also, how do you guys think the PCB will fare?
    The euro conversion pretty good, so you can get it shipped from europe for a reasonable price.
  • seqoseqo Joined: Posts: 230
    edited March 2015
    I forgot to check if the pcb was common ground, so I check it today and yes, common ground! great pcb for dual(triple) mod :)

edit- the pcb is labeled with both symbols of sony and microsoft, as if it were compatible with both. strange, no? maybe the same pcb of the mayflash V2 but with different chips?
    arcade stick user
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,968
    seqo wrote: »
    maybe the same pcb of the mayflash V2 but with different chips?

Probably. Quite a few companies do it like this to save on production costs.

gahrling wrote: »
    seqo wrote: »
    maybe the same pcb of the mayflash V2 but with different chips?

Probably. Quite a few companies do it like this to save on production costs.
    Chaining PCBs and chips are cheap

Chaining to a new plastic mold is not.
  • LcKLcK [21007] Joined: Posts: 14
    Somebody have the psd template?
    This one is off the Mayflash V2 discussion. Seems pretty accurate.

https://mega.co.nz/#!iUUQ0IYY!mYbNwtx3nUbrFTjXnUYf067g4lVwB-hDRMdfJzwppbA
    @seqo Is something wrong with the template? I opened it and it looked pretty darn close.
  • LcKLcK [21007] Joined: Posts: 14
    This one is off the Mayflash V2 discussion. Seems pretty accurate.

https://mega.co.nz/#!iUUQ0IYY!mYbNwtx3nUbrFTjXnUYf067g4lVwB-hDRMdfJzwppbA

Tnx!
    @seqo Is something wrong with the template? I opened it and it looked pretty darn close.
    No, it looks the same on the venom stick. I don´t know how but unintentionally I clicked on the disagree, sorry, it was not purposeful.
    arcade stick user
    Haha, all good then!
  • naughtynic75naughtynic75 Joined: Posts: 4
    Hi all I'm new to the forum, I bought this fightstick a few days ago, have managed to swop buttons to sanwa,a bit of a tight fit but they are in and feel good, no luck with the sanwa joystick yet,
    No luck meaning you can't figure out how to install, or something else?
    trying to figure out the best way to install it, without messing up the fightstick. And waiting for the 5 pin harness to arrive
    edited April 2015
    5GWT5AC.jpg
    See this image? See those 4 screws holding the Joystick's mount plate to the top panel. Unscrew those.
    Place your JLF on top, put pack the screws in the same 4 holes.

xKLhIcS.jpg
    As for the wiring? I think those 4 sets of 2 pin plugs are the Joystick wiring.
    One pin is ground the other is signal and I don't know if its common ground or not.
    Ether way you might have to splice some cables or solder directly to the PCB.
    The empty 5 pin should work also (assuming it's like the v2).
    It's common ground, but you can plug it with a jst cabble
    arcade stick user
    thanks guys I'm just waiting for the jst cable to arrive, then will have a play and see what I can get working
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Got a Stinkfoot? Joined: Posts: 8
    edited April 2015
    Longtime Lurker here, I just Ordered one Today, should be here around the end of the month just in time for MKX.
    I'll drop some impressions when i've got my hands on it, and maybe even a video, oh my!

- Update =

Just got an email that it'll be here earlier this friday, wow never had that happen before.
    Post edited by Stinkfoot on
  • MegasizerMegasizer Joined: Posts: 147
    What chip does this have that makes it work on the PS4?
    SFV - no main.

MAYFLASH V2 User
  • FirecottonFirecotton Joined: Posts: 215
    So I just got the stick because of the price.
    I'm never modded a stick and would like to know if and how I can switch out the Stick with a good one.
    I understood how to change the buttons, but I'd like a stick that's a little bit better, like the Madcatz ones because I always used a TE.
    Any advice? I would buy the parts at this website
    SFV: Laura
    BB: Hazama/Bullet
    P4: Akihiko
    GG: Sin
  • StoneAgeHeroStoneAgeHero Croatian One-Man FGC Joined: Posts: 61
    If you are used to the TE and you like the feel, get the Sanwa JLF and the JLF wire harness
    I'll be adding a sanwa in as well, I just have to figure out how to splice the harness and get a few jst plugs as mentioned by presidentcamacho, Can anyone confirm if the empty 5 pin works as well? I'm still looking for a proper 5 pin female to female cable, but would like to know beforehand.
    edited April 2015
    Would I be able to switch out the stick without soldering the cables together or anything?
    Yes, it may seem daunting to service an arcade stick, but in general, arcade parts are designed to be replaced easily by the lowest common denominator given the nature of an arcade. In this stick's case, if you open the back, you will find an empty 5 pin male connection, that's where the harness that was mentioned earlier in the thread connects to the board. After that, all you have to do is screw the joystick in, connect it to the harness, and you'll be good to go!
    Stinkfoot wrote: »
    I'll be adding a sanwa in as well, I just have to figure out how to splice the harness and get a few jst plugs as mentioned by presidentcamacho, Can anyone confirm if the empty 5 pin works as well? I'm still looking for a proper 5 pin female to female cable, but would like to know beforehand.

You don't have to splice and get the jst harness, it's one or the other. The jst would be plug and play, splicing at its easiest method would require wire strippers and a terminal strip (cut down to 5 spaces) or wire nuts.

You don't have to splice and get the jst harness, it's one or the other. The jst would be plug and play, splicing at its easiest method would require wire strippers and a terminal strip (cut down to 5 spaces) or wire nuts.

But most harnesses I see have only one plug an 5 loose wires, am I missing something? (bit of a klutz here)

But most harnesses I see have only one plug an 5 loose wires, am I missing something? (bit of a klutz here)
    You are speaking of the default wire harness that comes with Sanwa or Seimitsu joysticks.
    The far end is just loose wire as it supposed to allow to be wired into what ever controller or arcade cabinet you happen to have.

Most people will ether solder this harness directly to a the PCB, splice into a existing connector, crimp into a compatible connector or use a barrier strip.
  • mantachenmantachen Joined: Posts: 30
    Got my stick today and tested out, if you can wire the 5pin cable directly to the free spot, and it worked well.

Just take the stick from the TE and put it in. I hope everyone understands what I'm trying to tell :D

Venom.jpg
    Would this harness work with the stick?
    I don't want to splice any cables up, plug and play seems like the best way for me.
  • StoneAgeHeroStoneAgeHero Croatian One-Man FGC Joined: Posts: 61
    yes. that's what I told you to get ;) If you get the JLF stick just get the JLF wire harness
    yes. that's what I told you to get ;) If you get the JLF stick just get the JLF wire harness

Thanks for all the feedback guys, one more question...s, forgive my slow comprehension of the matter.
    I had a spare sanwa stick and harness lying around, ready to plug in, but there's one thing that's still not clear :P
    The above mentioned harness(and mine) features only one plug, the other ends of the cables are just the loose wires, indicating some form of soldering needed? (or are there harnesses for sale with plugs at both ends?
    or am I missing a step.
    also the plug has that little clamp thing on the top, does it fit in the arcade stick plug with it? or does it need to be cut off?

Again sorry for the Q's the stick should arrive today so I can take a peek at it myself.
    You will have to splice or solder the single ended plug. Get wire strippers and a euro style terminal strip (example: http://www.amazon.com/Position-Style-Nylon-Barrier-Strip/dp/B0050CF4QI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428675300&sr=8-2&keywords=terminal+strip+euro), cut the terminal strip down to 5 positions, then do this:

terminal%20splice.png

If the directions are wrong, just swap the signals around accordingly. I didn't match up directional locations between the two diagrams, you will need to determine which original wire goes to which direction.

The harness fits over a 5 pin output, that little clamp holds it in place. Do not cut/break it off.

You will have to splice or solder the single ended plug. Get wire strippers and a euro style terminal strip (example: http://www.amazon.com/Position-Style-Nylon-Barrier-Strip/dp/B0050CF4QI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428675300&sr=8-2&keywords=terminal+strip+euro), cut the terminal strip down to 5 positions, then do this:

terminal%20splice.png

If the directions are wrong, just swap the signals around accordingly. I didn't match up directional locations between the two diagrams, you will need to determine which original wire goes to which direction.

The harness fits over a 5 pin output, that little clamp holds it in place. Do not cut/break it off.

Excellent, all clear now thanks!