Venom arcade stick PS4/PS3

1151617181921»

Comments

• Satoshi_MatrixSatoshi_Matrix Joined: Posts: 71
    I apologize if this isn't the correct place for this. I am a very infrequent poster. I recently bought a Mayflash F500, which evidently is a clone of the Venom stick. It's easy to work with (much easier than the old days of Mayflash sticks with their damn 28mm button holes). The stock parts aren't actually terrible, which is a real surprise. Still, I plan to put in a JLF and Sanwa buttons.

I want to replace the stock art sheet, but I am no artist. I want an Ayane themed arcade stick from the Dead or Alive fighting game series.

I am looking to commission someone to create custom art for me for this stick. I also need the art printed and shipped, and if someone has specific expertise, cut to size.

If someone can help me out, please let me know. I live in Canada, but am willing to commission anyone who has the skills and ability to mail me the art ready to apply.

• jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,268
    You might have better luck getting a nibble on that request by posting HERE.
  • Satoshi_MatrixSatoshi_Matrix Joined: Posts: 71
    Hey for anyone who has modded their Mayflash F500 with Sanwa or seimitsu parts, would you consider selling the 9 stock red buttons the stick comes with? Assuming they are in good condition. I know they're not as good as real name brand buttons, but I'm surprisingly fond of them and would like to use them in another stick, especially if someone's willing to sell their unwanted stock buttons on the cheap.
  • IPestyGamingIPestyGaming Joined: Posts: 16
    Hey for anyone who has modded their Mayflash F500 with Sanwa or seimitsu parts, would you consider selling the 9 stock red buttons the stick comes with? Assuming they are in good condition. I know they're not as good as real name brand buttons, but I'm surprisingly fond of them and would like to use them in another stick, especially if someone's willing to sell their unwanted stock buttons on the cheap.

What did you have in mind? Also would you want the joystick and balltop as well?
  • String_of_AsgardString_of_Asgard Joined: Posts: 5
    Hi guys!
    Sorry for my bad english but I need few info since I would like to mod my Venom stick.
    I just wish to make it full sanwa and as far as I understand I'll need the following stuff:

https://www.smallcab.net/sanwa-joystick-p-73.html
    The stick plus the 5 pin cable ( can someone tell me which is the difference between the simple cable and the Dupont connector? )

Also this type of buttons are the right ones?
    https://www.smallcab.net/sanwa-obsc-p-372.html

That's all I need right?

Last but not least I found on shoryuken forum some template in order to customize the faceplate.
    They work only with adobe illustrator / Adobe PS?

Thanks in advance for any answer!

Hi guys!
    Sorry for my bad english but I need few info since I would like to mod my Venom stick.
    I just wish to make it full sanwa and as far as I understand I'll need the following stuff:

https://www.smallcab.net/sanwa-joystick-p-73.html
    The stick plus the 5 pin cable ( can someone tell me which is the difference between the simple cable and the Dupont connector? )

Also this type of buttons are the right ones?
    https://www.smallcab.net/sanwa-obsc-p-372.html

That's all I need right?

Last but not least I found on shoryuken forum some template in order to customize the faceplate.
    They work only with adobe illustrator / Adobe PS?

Thanks in advance for any answer!

https://www.focusattack.com/spare-5-pin-female-harness-for-zero-delay-usb-encoder-pcb/
    this is the cable you need. The one that comes with the joystick itself only has the 5 pin connector on 1 side. This cable allows you to connect the joystick to the PCB with minimal effort.
    The joystick that is in the Venom has an 8 pin connector but there is a spot for a 5 pin on your PCB.

Those buttons look correct also. You may want a single OBSF 24mm button for your "Start" button if you chose to replace it.
    Other than that, you will just need a balltop for the joystick and you're good to go.

I'm not sure about the templates as I do not own an A3 printer.

but yes. everything you have there is correct.
  • MikkoloMikkolo Joined: Posts: 1
    Biggz wrote: »
    Fisac wrote: »
    @Biggz That's a great mod! You don't happen to have the template for the hole cutouts? I'm looking to mod mine into a hitbox as well. Also would it be possible to just straight up wire buttons into the stock pcb?

This is some info I posted elsewhere in these forums, but it is worth being here too :smile:
    • £36 for the acrylic from Razorlab.co.uk. You can also use Ponoko.com, I think they're exactly the same service and can get a price online before you place the order.
    • £7 Zero delay USB board from ebay/china - I only used the wires from this, the pcb is not needed. Picture of these wires are below. You may not need this if you're able to crimp 2.8mm spade connectors.
    • £1.50 for longer screws - From memory I think I used M5 12mm long.
    The zipped file I uploaded to Razorlab can be downloaded from here
    There's a couple of things to be aware of.
    • I used 3mm thick acrylic which the original acrylic is, but the metal plate I replaced is more like 2mm thick. I do not think that matters though, the top isn't sitting too high, it was just a concern when I ordered it.
    • The screw holes are maybe a touch too big, if I was to order another i'd i'd take 1mm off the diameter, keeping the same centre spot.
    Thankfully neither of these things have turned out to be a problem.

@Fisac, to specifically answer your question, you will need to crimp 2.8mm spade terminals on to the existing wires used for the stock joystick. Or modify a JLF ribbon cable with the same connectors. I was all ready to modify the existing cable when I remembered I bought a Zero Delay USB board from Ebay which came with cables needed.

0Kc41fXl.jpg

Hi, is any of you guys in possession of a file that Biggz share? Link has expired :( I'm sorry for my English but I hope you understand. Regards
  • BiggzBiggz Joined: Posts: 45
    Mikkolo wrote: »
    Hi, is any of you guys in possession of a file that Biggz share? Link has expired :( I'm sorry for my English but I hope you understand. Regards

The file can be found here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1iMga23Lj78cWUtNXZiS1lqT0E/view?usp=sharing

However, there may be another template to use. A guy over at Reddit has incorporated a couple of the snags I had with my template in to a new version. This can be found here - https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/5hjq8s/my_venom_hitbox/

The snags aren't major things, just little things I'd do differently if I had another plexi cut i.e. smaller screw holes.

If you do get one made please share pictures when it's complete! :)

I'm waiting for ruckage to get mine done :D
    I'm waiting for ruckage to get mine done :D

Me too :smiley:
  • GoMorrisGoMorris Joined: Posts: 4
    Hello! New to the forums here just wondering if there's anyone out there that will do the service of helping me out with a few custom art designs? I have a few ideas but not the know how to design in software.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 1,018
    Try the arcade stick art thread, it's in the same section TECH TALK , it's difficult to miss
    Ruckage is actually pretty good at this sort of stuff and his rates are low. He also ships internationally.
    Ruckage is actually pretty good at this sort of stuff and his rates are low. He also ships internationally.

Yeah I sent him a PM, he must be extremely busy making orders. I wouldn't mind getting in line for his work = )
    He's in the UK so his times differ from ours it seems. However, he is generally quick to respond and easy to work with. He also seems to care a lot about customer satisfaction. Worth the wait in my opinion.
  • Jerk48Jerk48 Joined: Posts: 3
    IAdjZG0.jpg
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,268
    edited September 21
    Cool use of a MG RX-78-2 3.0 kit box. I have that finished kit on my desk at work. I was surprised that the cardboard is thin enough to fit under the plexi without issue.
    That is seriously freaking cool. Gundam is life...
  • Jerk48Jerk48 Joined: Posts: 3
    jopamo wrote: »
    Cool use of a MG RX-78-2 3.0 kit box. I have that finished kit on my desk at work. I was surprised that the cardboard is thin enough to fit under the plexi without issue.
    Yeah, the plexi sits flush but I still have to do work on the button cut outs.
    He's in the UK so his times differ from ours it seems. However, he is generally quick to respond and easy to work with. He also seems to care a lot about customer satisfaction. Worth the wait in my opinion.

I agree.
    I just receive my samurai shodown artwork and it's AMAZING!
    A HUGE thanks to Ruckage!
    I'll suggest him to all the people who need an artwork for their fighting stick!!!
    I'll post a picture of it as soon as possible!!!

I agree.
    I just receive my samurai shodown artwork and it's AMAZING!
    A HUGE thanks to Ruckage!
    I'll suggest him to all the people who need an artwork for their fighting stick!!!
    I'll post a picture of it as soon as possible!!!

Nice! Look forward to seeing it! My Sanwa parts arrived the other day but I'm not going to start the project until I get a custom artwork don't want double back on work.
    edited September 24
    Here we go!!

DSC_1617.jpg
    Post edited by String_of_Asgard on
  • ruckageruckage Joined: Posts: 8
    @String_of_Asgard
    That's come out really nice. Thanks for posting the photo, it's great to see the finished stick.
    Did you have any trouble installing the art (I hope my instructions helped)?
  • JohnGildJohnGild Joined: Posts: 6
    Hi all! Here’s what I ended up, with the art printed and cut by ruckage:
    992795_p1000372_460x345.jpg

And for the sake of comparison with the obvious inspiration:
    816036_p1000374_460x345.jpg

Needless to say I am way more than happy about what ruckage did with the art!
    That's sick!
    Thank you and thanks again to ruckage ;)
    Besides the art, what I really do enjoy (and wasn’t sure about before trying it) is the osbf-24 button with a black border and yellow plunger to replace the PS button at the top!
    I was also considering trying to repaint the plastic case in white, but a virtua stick look-alike in a black suit turns out to look so neat I can’t even imagine to change it at all now :D
    Another huge thanks to Ruckage for the help. The quality is amazing. I couldn't be happier with it.
    dJHgdBg.jpg
    l3o9Hz9.jpg
    U1LXYFl.jpg
    mOYkvFd.jpg
    iJDQ5gw.jpg
    Wow! Great result with the art colors matching the buttons!

May I ask who’s the character from the art?
    It's a custom outfit for Eliza from Tekken 7
    Also thank you for the compliments.
  • DesselDessel Joined: Posts: 2
    A PSA for anyone wishing to mod the multiplatform version of this stick (Xbox/PS4/PC). The front panel is not removable and is part of the plastic enclosure. Looking at it now, I should've probably realized that since there are no screw covers visible on the front panel. I figured I might as well post this since I couldn't find any teardowns/pictures of this version's internals.

Ezx4k1j.jpg

All the connectors are clearly labeled in the PCB. Might check the SOCD cleaning (PS4 version was apparently L+R = L and U+D = U according to an earlier post) at some later point and edit my post to reflect that. I should've actually checked the PCB's exact model, not sure if it's some commonly found variant. I would have purchased the PS4 version instead just to ensure moddability but they were sadly unavailable at the time and I really just bought it to check if stick is for me or not. I only really opened it to check if I could mod it into a hitbox which sadly seems impossible or at least prohibitively difficult.
    Are you sure the front plate is not maintained by magnets? In doubt, you shall have a look at this disassembly guide: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/202199/newbie-guide-venom-ps4-mayflash-v2-full-sanwa-seimitsu-mod-with-octo-for-116-uk-pricing
    I have the same stick. It's magnetic. Just apply pressure with a small screwdriver.
    As for the hitbox mod, someone here posted one in this thread of the same stick. Check it out
    I have the same stick. It's magnetic. Just apply pressure with a small screwdriver.

The v2 and f500 are virtually the same.
  • DesselDessel Joined: Posts: 2

I've got this one. Sure it's the same exact structure and all? Because I see no ridges or any indication of a second piece of plastic on the edges where the faceplate would meet rest of the case inside. Where did you apply pressure with the screwdriver?
    Oh that's wild. Looks like the f300 but doesn't have a clear layer on top. I'm not sure. Maybe one of the other guys can help with this one? It's smaller than the other venom stick as well.
    edited October 31
    Well, my bad, after googling a bit I figured out this should be your stick, with matching colors for buttons and all:
    000007.jpg

But yours surely has a smaller case than this one… Do you have any photo of its outside looks?
  • daimonasdaimonas Joined: Posts: 6
    KewreL wrote: »
    Got two Venoms in may and have been planning a few mods for a while. Just ordered a Sanwa stick (white JLF-TP-8YT) and 8 OBSF 30mm buttons (6 white, 2 dark gray) from arcadeshop.de (I live in Sweden so the shipping costs from Germany are not too bad). These are the first proper arcade sticks I own and this will also be my first ever mod.

In the meantime, I tried printing and swapping out the artwork. Unfortunately it got scaled down like 1% when printing so it's a few millimeters to small, but i managed to get it in there anyway. I also had to overlap two printouts as the paper is just a few mm to short to fit the whole artwork. It's just an experiment though, so I don't care if it's not perfect yet. I plan to order proper high-quality prints from some local photo shop once I've found some art I'm happy with.

This is how it turned out (still stock buttons and stick):

Wul9ht.jpeg

Someone who has this artwork available for printing or a similar one (e.g., the one in this photo: iYLXuve.jpg) and could share it with me, please?