New Indie game! Immortal Fray: A fairy tale fighting game with characters we grew up with!

Comments

• xXTheZoneWalkerXxxXTheZoneWalkerXx Joined: Posts: 107
    No Queen Of Hearts....no play

I was actually thinking of adding female characters for the next version of the demo. Ill post concepts after im done composing them
    edited April 2015
    So the developers of the UFE engine are pushing out an update within a month from now; which will include networked multiplayer. I'm gonna do my best to implement that and get it up and running in the next version of Immortal Fray. It's exciting to me cause I've never tried messing with networking code as of yet. I've only been able to script up simple games locally so I feel like this will help me evolve in my training as a programmer.
  • samirerresamirerre Joined: Posts: 155
    played it for almost 2 hours, preety good but, as obvious needs more work but your in the good direction. keep up.
    just one question do you intend to make money from the full game when it will be compleaed ?
    Hey thanks for trying it out! Right now Im revising the game based off of the feedback I've been getting. Im trying to prepare everything for the next iteration and new features. I'm also planning out my finished art pipeline. Anyways, short answer is yes. I plan to sell the game eventually.
    edited April 2015
    zeLHZiZ.png

Vote at the link below!

strawpoll.me/4238693

So Ive finished the first draft concept for captain hook.
    • A - Young James - Inspired by Once Upon A Time
    • B - Vega Mask James - Inspired by Vega from Street Fighter
    • C - Evil Sea Captain James - Inspired by Moby Dick
    • D - Jolly Clown James - I always thought evil clowns were cool
    • E - Userper James - Inspired by Cervantes from Soul Calibur
    • F - Powerful Sorcerer James - Inspired by Ganondorf from the Legend of Zelda
    • G - Oni James - Original Creation
    • H - Intergalactic Sorcerer James - Inspired by Dragonball Z

I would love for all of you to vote and choose which design you like best :)

You can vote multiple times, and I dont plan on having two different body types in the game.

What that means is if one body type gets more votes than the other, then I will choose the two

most popular designs from that body type. Hope that makes sense. So please cast your votes!
    edited May 2015
    Ok so here are the final decisions after the polls on Peter Pan and Captain Hook. I think Im going to have to come up with another name for Captain hook since this design isn't so Jolly.

Im happy to see that more people participated in the voting for Captain Hook this time. I like these designs. I have a sort of Link vs Ganondorf ting going on with the main skins. I also like that Captain hook doesnt have a sword. So now I can make him a faster, more melee-based character. The alternates leave the game open for a futuristic alternate universe. Im going to have fun with this :).

Anyways, now that I have the final decision on these designs I am going to create model sheets and more concept art and get rolling on my new art pipeline.

The next version of the demo will have a demonstration of a story mode, ability to select different skins at character select, more balanced moves, and im hoping to have the networked multiplayer feature up and running, but that i can't guarantee. Im also going to start a newsletter so that when the next version of the demo is ready people will know right away.

pqdbnrs.png
    Post edited by xXTheZoneWalkerXx on
    So I aim to have two more polished characters for the next version of Immortal Fray to better showcase the Story Mode and Networking capabilities.

Please vote on which set of characters you would like to see in the next version :)

http://strawpoll.me/4349395

jAdNDLC.png
    edited May 2015
    So it looks like Red Riding Hood and Big Bad Wolf are taking the stage and will be the next two characters added. Soon Ill post the new character sheets I created for the new version of Pan and Hook. Ive already begun the concept for Red Riding Hood. I have a rig for big bad wolf already made and Ive received nothing but good feedback on it and Im sure the community will approve.

Stay tuned for a new website, footage of the art creation process, news on the new build of Immortal Fray and more! Ill be creating a newsletter soon so people will get updates instantly.

Also, a friend of mine forced me into trying out his new Oculus Rift. He insists that I make the game compatible with virtual headsets so I think thats something worth working towards.
    Post edited by xXTheZoneWalkerXx on
    2b5YcTw.jpg

http://strawpoll.me/4438070

So here is my character sheet for the new Peter Pan. Please choose on the color scheme you like best so that I know what colors to use when I texture the model.

Captain hook coming soon.
  • Rick RossRick Ross Niggaposi☆Continues Joined: Posts: 5,641
    sethian0 wrote: »
    Your concept art and idea is soo cool, but not super in to the 1997 look. I would just make the game look like your concept art and keep the rest of what you are doing.

(hope honest feed back helps)

*Disagreed*

1997 was the GOAT year of the 1990's.
    "I don't think women in video games and anime are hyper sexualized. I think they're Mexican women who occasionally speak Japanese." - Tekno Virus, sharing his words of ethnic wisdom.
    9zpNXJT.jpg

http://strawpoll.me/4452517
    So here is my character sheet for the new Captain Hook. Please choose on the color scheme you like best so that I know what colors to use when I texture the model.
    o2eGGzH.png

This is the new Peter Pan's weapon of choice! The Eagle Claw! The game will be going for a cell shader look and Im excited to show off the new environments and progress on the characters when the time is right. This will happen around the time I get the new site up and running.
    edited May 2015
    C6aYblM.jpg?1
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,596
    Wow nice to see how you're progressing and keeping at this. Is there a more developed alpha o beta available for play testing?
  • AT_Ryo_SakazakiAT_Ryo_Sakazaki Joined: Posts: 366
    too much inspiration ?

533853__link-vs-ganondorf_p.jpg
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    Wow nice to see how you're progressing and keeping at this. Is there a more developed alpha o beta available for play testing?

Thanks. Not yet. Im redoing all of the artwork and animations for the next version. I plan to have it playable by early July at the latest. On top of that Im working on the new features of the game. Soon Ill have a new site up where people can subscribe to the news letter to get access to the next demo and stay updated. Expect more pre production concept art soon :)
    too much inspiration ?

533853__link-vs-ganondorf_p.jpg

lol yup thats the reference I used. Paying tribute to the classic struggle in Legend of Zelda.

O4xSlqV.jpg?1

http://strawpoll.me/4518624

Ive prepared the final draft concept for Momotaro. A Japanese hero of lore. Please vote for which design you like best out of the 3 designs :)
    hZnKVqE.jpg?1

http://strawpoll.me/4518637

Ive prepared the final draft concept for Red Riding Hood. Please vote for which design you like best out of the 3 designs ;)
  • PrimalFighterPrimalFighter Joined: Posts: 106
    How many fairy tales have you chosen?

From Disney to Grimm.
    edited June 2015
    How many fairy tales have you chosen?

From Disney to Grimm.

Good question. I've thought about this extensively and without funding, if I were to work on this at the pace that I am, id focus on just the starting cast. Although its not likely.
    I plan to pitch to publishers and or crowd fund after the next version of the demo is out. This is because once I start my clinicals in the hospitals next year, im going
    to be very limited on time if I'm not able to pay my rent doing this lol. Anyways here are some lists.

*This is concept art from the web. Im doing my own versions of these characters*

Starting Lineup:
    1. Peter Pan
      disney_heroes_iii__peter_pan_and_tinkerbell_by_aznnerd-d533n3r.png
    2. Captain Hook
      NUP_166283_0992_0.JPG?resize=379%2C506
    3. Red Riding Hood
      not-so-little-red-riding-hood_by_j_scott_campbell_584_900.jpg
    4. Big Bad Wolf
      big_bad_wolf_by_drfaustus3-d6k6mew.jpg
    5. Santa
      battle_santa_concept_by_nickhuddlestonartist-d5pc27w.png
    6. Jack Frost
      killing_floor_xmas_by_broodovermind-d3b3g50.jpg
    7. Tsuki Usagi
      Touhou___Tsuki_no_Usagi_by_vagrantslasher17.jpgUsagiNoMochiTsuki.jpg
    8. Momotaro
      latest?cb=20110218052025
    9. Hercules
      1278130-144055_27601_nemean_lion_skin.jpg
    10. Hades - in this game hades will be female
      091731ab7964811e934e9b443deaa90f.jpg

These characters will be available right away. The next set of characters will be unlockable through story mode.

Unlockables:
    1. Puss in boots
      images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTHd2rAAinpP4Iw2i5DatcdvLGtV9Owc8O2zmtvQdxihOYExG7ug
    2. frog prince
      FrogKing_ConceptArt.jpeg
    3. Alice
      images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq_kzFdMTn5Cwb5MqqV_4Ind2DOxToec08flXSMR4PBhhXWy2r
    4. Queen of hearts
      queen_of_hearts_by_ice_jj-d36rdl5.jpg
    5. Dracula
      img-18.jpg
    6. Genbu
      Naruto_v36_ch317_p01.jpg
    7. Cthulhu
      cthulhu_by_zaidoigres-d34i3u8.jpg

so 17 in all

After the game is out I plan to run public polls. These polls will determine two new characters that will be released as DLC for the game ever 3 months while the game is out.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes You dun fked it up Capcom. Again. Joined: Posts: 7,084
    Just read up on the Momotaro tale. So, does he like call out the animals as assists or something like Captain Commando?

Just read up on the Momotaro tale. So, does he like call out the animals as assists or something like Captain Commando?

maybe :3
    edited June 2015
    This is the Big Bad Wolf Model Ill be using and the texturing style Ill be applying to all of the characters.

ee1bf1d0-3808-4053-889d-d9b0150389a1_scaled.jpg
    This is a snap shot of the new training stage for Immortal Fray
    0oErVp1.png

All of the stages will be textured like this and most will have npc characters in the bg. For the next version of the demo there will be 3 stages in all. Ill show off the other 2 when I'm ready
    Xzzhjin.png

So these are the winners for the latest character design polls. From here on out I have a good understanding of what type of design works best for the public. Ill still be running polls. Just not nearly as annoying as I have been.

So these are the final draft concept designs of Red Riding Hood and Momotaro. Big Bad Wolf is already finalized as a character asset.

ee1bf1d0-3808-4053-889d-d9b0150389a1_scaled.jpg

From here on out im busy building this artwork from scratch and ill share my progress.
    So I'm almost done with the new site and I made a twitch account so you guys can watch as I create the art for the game and assemble everything in Unity3d
    gl6SQGY.jpg?1
    Hey everyone! Make sure to sign up for the Immortal Fray Newsletter!
    Only members of the Newsletter will have access to the next version of the demo so sign up now and pledge you loyalty to the ancient one!
    Subscribers will also get special updates on the game's progress and other cool stuff!
    Click the Link below and subscribe!
    http://eepurl.com/bpWSfX
    edited June 2015
    JKDpJDl.jpg?1

Hooks Final Design

Once again make sure to sign up for the newsletter for access to the next version of the demo.

You can also check out the new site at

http://www.immortalfray.com
    1gpJEaq.jpg?1

Join the newsletter!
    8USq6wd.jpg?1

Join the newsletter!

Click here:
    Im going to do everything I can to get Immortal Fray on the HoloLens!
    microsoft-minecraft.png?w=630
    BxqQsSC.png

A sneak peak at the new graphics of Immortal Fray. Still a WIP. Pan faces off and is ready for battle!
    Finally got a reply back from the owners of the peter pan copyright and they have given me the greenlight :)
    0vQ3A2R.jpg?1

Join the newsletter!
    Click here:
    aTFLUeh.jpg?1

Join the newsletter!
    Click here:
    QFLwsQF.jpg?1
    OpFoyTg.jpg?1
    So I just found out that my co-workers and I are all getting laid off in September due to outsourcing to India. Its funny cause I used to be a Marine in the USMC before college. I've been to war with people but I've never been fired with a group of people. Feels like a higher power is pointing me down a path that ive yet to understand. Anyways, I'm even more motivated to get this project going. I've learned that when times get tough you have to get tougher. Not about to give up on anything.
    Thanks for following my progress everyone! Heres a peek at one of my stretch goal characters. Paying respects to the Combat Core campaign for how they showed off their stretch goal characters.

3q8yBIM.png?1
    edited July 2015
    rZmTWPz.jpg?1
    NnCLL0z.jpg?1
    FPV6gnn.png

Tomorrow at 10pm EST Ill be running a live twitch stream of my development on the game. Stay tuned for the link!
  • UnarmedTitanUnarmedTitan Joined: Posts: 3
    Really liking the progress of your project so far. I just had two questions. When you pitch your kickstarter campaign, do you know what the base funding limit will be at this point? Also I was curious about your favorite fighting games. I find I can find out more about a fighting game from its influences.

watch me live on twitch!
    Really liking the progress of your project so far. I just had two questions. When you pitch your kickstarter campaign, do you know what the base funding limit will be at this point? Also I was curious about your favorite fighting games. I find I can find out more about a fighting game from its influences.

Hey UnarmedTitan, thanks for your questions. Yes after completing the GDD for the game and going over the costs that I would need to cover exactly, I arrived at a base funding amount that I would need. I do plan on running a kickstarter campaign, but im also connected to other funding possibilities. All of this is dependent on how the next version of immortal fray turns out.

Honestly my favorite fighting games are: Injustice, UMVC3, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur and Tekken. In that order :). I dont mean to offend anyone by not including other great fighting games in this list, but thats my personal opinion. To me those games stand out and have the best presentation. Im a shazam main when it comes to injustice and whenever I have spare time I can site for hours just practicing :).
  • UnarmedTitanUnarmedTitan Joined: Posts: 3

Hey UnarmedTitan, thanks for your questions. Yes after completing the GDD for the game and going over the costs that I would need to cover exactly, I arrived at a base funding amount that I would need. I do plan on running a kickstarter campaign, but im also connected to other funding possibilities. All of this is dependent on how the next version of immortal fray turns out.

Honestly my favorite fighting games are: Injustice, UMVC3, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur and Tekken. In that order :). I dont mean to offend anyone by not including other great fighting games in this list, but thats my personal opinion. To me those games stand out and have the best presentation. Im a shazam main when it comes to injustice and whenever I have spare time I can site for hours just practicing :).

Yeah all great games. I main Nightwing in Injustice personally. But, yeah interested in seeing how the game evolves.

Catch me on Twitch at 9pm EST and watch my development on Immortal Fray​
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,596
    1gpJEaq.jpg?1

Join the newsletter!

Demon Huntress??? the fighter genre already has a female demon hunter that's based off of lil red riding hood and I don't think she'll appreciate this chick jacking her style. ;P But seriously though I'm impressed by all your work. Gotta keep up with this thread more often. so how soon are you to release? Or you still have some ways to go?

BB_Hoody wrote: »
    1gpJEaq.jpg?1

Join the newsletter!

Demon Huntress??? the fighter genre already has a female demon hunter that's based off of lil red riding hood and I don't think she'll appreciate this chick jacking her style. ;P But seriously though I'm impressed by all your work. Gotta keep up with this thread more often. so how soon are you to release? Or you still have some ways to go?

This is true and there is also a graphic novel about little red as a demon huntress as well as a video game. I decided to keep this identity alive so I made my version a demon huntress as well. Im not against changing things around before the prototype is released again :). I care deeply about public opinion.

As far as release goes, I see myself working on this game for a good year before any kind of release. Thats if I can secure funding. If I cant, then it could take significantly longer. I have to start my hospital rounds in January for nursing school and the only way I can continue to work on this game at that point is if I have the financial backing to pay team members and justify spending my off time on development. Hope that answers the question and doesn't sound depressing -_-