The Hori PS4 VLX thread

Comments

• VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,829
    Ok here's a copy pasta from my notes, take this with a grain of salt and always meter!

5 pin
    pink gnd
    dp
    ls
    turbo led
    vcc

7 pin
    pink led 1
    home
    select
    turbo

With the DP/LS, one of them goes high when the other is not in use. Also RS is not available due to how the logic is in the turbo panel. If you want RS, you need to solder directly to the leg of the switch which is hidden under the pcb. The pin itself is floating.
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • ANONYMOUSANIMEPLAYERANONYMOUSANIMEPLAYER Joined: Posts: 4
    Does regular usage of the vlx lead to warping of the metal around the buttons? I had somebody put in buttons for me recently and I suspect it is from the way they put the buttons in, but perhaps it's just my mashing of the buttons that's cause indentations in the metal directly around the button hole.
    Just wondering if anybody else has noticed warping about the buttons
  • VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 505
    Does regular usage of the vlx lead to warping of the metal around the buttons? I had somebody put in buttons for me recently and I suspect it is from the way they put the buttons in, but perhaps it's just my mashing of the buttons that's cause indentations in the metal directly around the button hole.

I haven't. My buttons are fine and I wack on em. BTW for KOF 14, a Seimitsu stick seems to be a better option than the Hayabusa in the VLX. That game requires very precise inputs and my Seimitsu LS-58 performs way better.
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,453
    It's VERY unlikely that regular use, or even removing/putting in buttons would warp the metal panel.

Any pics to share? Even very aggressive playing should not dent/warp the top-panel, unless you're doing super-ragey-Hulk-Smashes on the surface.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    edited August 2016
    You cant really see it in pictures, it's only noticeable because of the way light reflects off it. They are very slight indentations inwards.
    It's only around the buttons I replaced (which are the buttons I use the most), aside from an extremely hard to see very small one next to a button that hasn't been replaced yet.
    I put in a button before that and there's no warping around it either, so I have no idea what could've happened with the way the buttons were put in.

I don't press my buttons particularly hard to be honest, but I was thinking maybe repeated semi-hard presses distributed in a particular way could slowly bend the metal.
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,865
    The metal is quite thick, even if you pushed the button in very hard it wouldn't dent the metal or warp it unless you push down with like 200 lbs of force you might warp the whole top sheet.
    Maybe it's a production error that I've never noticed before. I don't really think so though.
    Are you sure it's not just the top plastic-art-layer that's bent/scratched instead?
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
  • jonyfrazejonyfraze jonyfraze Joined: Posts: 540
    edited September 2016
    mR_CaESaR wrote: »
    Cut all the wires from the CP? He didn't just cut the JST connections? I think the only way to get to the CP is to disassemble it all.

I'm guessing when the previous owner used a ps360+, he didn't have the home/select wired up?

I can have a look when I get home tonight and see what I can find.

Yup.. All new cables installed.

@Vicko it was a Japanese diamond PS3 VLX. Thanks for the pinout!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year
    custom cases & cabs • design • mods
    www.jonyfraze.com

instagram | twitter | facebook
  • keikeikeikei Joined: Posts: 15
    Reading this thread is dangerous to my wallet.
  • TizTozBriBruTizTozBriBru Joined: Posts: 253
    sorry to bump a kinda old thread, but any tricks necessary for mounting a Hayabusa in a pre-Hayabusa VLX? one of the red PS3 VLX's. i love me some hayabusa and was hoping it would be a nice quick & easy swap.
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,333
    sorry to bump a kinda old thread, but any tricks necessary for mounting a Hayabusa in a pre-Hayabusa VLX? one of the red PS3 VLX's. i love me some hayabusa and was hoping it would be a nice quick & easy swap.

Sanwa JLF and Hayabusa levers share a common mounting pattern. Should be a simple unscrew, remove, screw in swap.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    edited October 2016
    Thanks a Ton Jasen!!!

BTW, last question, I hear people talking about the "black VLX", I assume that is this PS4 one? I used to have one but sold it a while back but bought one of the red PS3 style ones to replace it.

The VLX is a killer controler and I hope the poster who bought my PS4 VLX is still giving it good use.
    Kuro is the black PS4 VLX, comes with a Hayabusa stick and Kuro buttons, the newer PS4 version is the Hayabusa VLX and comes with Hayabusa buttons and stick(And has different colors like red side and silver top panel etc)
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 472
    So i managed to buy a used kuro for 150€ shipped. It doesnt have any blemishes other then the dimples most people seem to have. I really love this thing. Originally i was going to put a UFB in but tbh it supports everything i need it to, with steam getting proper ps4 controller support (apperantly).
    edited October 2016
    good price! I love mine.
    Hayabusa and Gamerfingers (6 button)

Ill have to test if steam is PS4 controller compatible. I installed the DLL for PS3/PS4 controllers on the SF5 forum and have had no problem with my ps3 only controllers even.
    Im using the dll aswell but native is alsways better. Steam is getting an update soon apperantly.
  • FronkwestFronkwest Joined: Posts: 2
    Recent owner here - how do you guys carry the VLX to tourneys? Any alternatives to the SplitFrame FS Transporter XL?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,473
    Fronkwest wrote: »
    Recent owner here - how do you guys carry the VLX to tourneys? Any alternatives to the SplitFrame FS Transporter XL?

Arms. Seriously.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's not nearly as protective as the SplitFrame FS Transporter XL (or as bulky, for that matter), but something like this is an alternative: http://www.americanas.com.br/produto/11221825?condition=NEW&cor=Preto
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
    Darksakul wrote: »

Arms. Seriously.

But Seriously for tourneys I go for a smaller, lighter stick.

I'm with @Darksakul on this one.
    I own a VLX, but it's strictly my at-home stick. I brought it once over to my brother's place (shortly after I got it) for a gaming day, and never again.
    I put together another more portable stick using a Mad Catz SE/TvC/KE casing to lug to tournaments and local get-togethers.

Looking for:
    However it was that noticed deformation on the panel around the buttons:

I ran into the same issue and managed to fix it.

What happens (atleast in my case) is this. Not every vlx has the artwork layer perfectly aligned, so its possible that its closer to the edge of the metal panel on one side of your button holes. When buttons get inserted into metal panels, often some plastic gets shaven of off those 4 little things on the side of the button.
    Those shavings can end up between the art layer and the metal panel and result in what appears like a deformation of the art layer.

I fixed it by wedging the tinyest flathead i had inbetween the art and the panel and forcing the shavings out gently.

If your putting in new buttons its best to insert them in another stick with tight holes first, or insert them upside down in your vlx panel, then making sure no shavings remain.
  • sir_arthursir_arthur Joined: Posts: 1,549
    Hi guys, I just got my Hayabusa VLX in the mail, and wow what a pleasant surprise, I mean, for the price I was expecting something premium for sure but this thing looks a hell of a lot sexier in person, I'm going to put some silver sanwas on this baby later and play with it.
    SFV - Karin/Sim
    KOF XIV - Love, Muimui, Iori
    KI - Sadira/Mira
  • seqoseqo Joined: Posts: 230
    I get my "Kuro" VLX today, I expected the old Kuro buttons, instead of it, it came with the hayabusa buttons(the mate ones), so this is the VLX Kuro without the Kuro!

[img][/img]vlx3_zpsh6gq9v16.jpg
    [img][/img]VLX2_zpsnyevudsz.jpg
    arcade stick user
  • rbuniaorbuniao Joined: Posts: 161

Arms. Seriously.

This! My arms were sore at the end of the day carrying the VLX the whole day during Wizard World Chicago.
  • hermitpandahermitpanda Joined: Posts: 3
    Can anyone share any tech on how to make the Hori Vlx Compartment door better? Or know of any mods? Its a damn fine looking stick, but the damn cable compartment door is its weakest link :(
  • rbuniaorbuniao Joined: Posts: 161
    Can anyone share any tech on how to make the Hori Vlx Compartment door better? Or know of any mods? Its a damn fine looking stick, but the damn cable compartment door is its weakest link :(

I removed mine a while ago and use an elastic hair tie to hold the wire when not in use.
  • VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 505
    edited December 2016
    I'm hoping to get my VLX hitbox panel from Jasen's Customs by next weekend. I'll post a link to a Youtube video I plan to do detailing the install from start to finish with no edits unless absolutely necessary. (Like I lose a screw for 20 mins, lol) . Has anyone else converted their VLX to a hitbox? How do you like it?
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy

Get a metal rod to go though the door into the insert holes where the door snaps into.
  • albertinoalbertino Joined: Posts: 17
    edited January 14
    Anyone got a vanilla kuro (black) vlx top panel for sale? Or just the stock art plastic piece? If so please pm me :)
    Post edited by albertino on
  • albertinoalbertino Joined: Posts: 17
    Looking to make my own artwork now using Jason's 6 button layout. Can anyone link me to something resembling the stock artwork for this? (I want to re-use some elements).

I've tried searching myself but everything so far has led me to broken links.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 966
  • FunkyFFunkyF Still Scrubby Joined: Posts: 302
    seqo wrote: »
    I get my "Kuro" VLX today, I expected the old Kuro buttons, instead of it, it came with the hayabusa buttons(the mate ones), so this is the VLX Kuro without the Kuro!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg541/Seqosanwa/vlx3_zpsh6gq9v16.jpg
    http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg541/Seqosanwa/VLX2_zpsnyevudsz.jpg

Seqo, quick question. Where did you order your "Kuro" VLX from, Amazon? Curious because I was thinking of ordering the Kuro VLX from Amazon, but wanted to try the Hayabusa buttons.

[Insert witty signature]
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Awaiting my VLX turbo panel w/x5 19mm holes. I found some 19mm NOPBs I'm ordering & curious if any one has installed it on theirs and pictures or buttons you used?
    Plan to use for Home, L1, L2, L3 & R3.
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204
    What are NOPBs? I'm using 19mm Anti-vandal switches that cost around $2.50 each on Aliexpress. They work well so far.
    Your turbo panel is from Jasen or you made your own?
    Tensho wrote: »
    What are NOPBs? I'm using 19mm Anti-vandal switches that cost around $2.50 each on Aliexpress. They work well so far.

Jasen's a member bought and never used. Normally Open Push Buttons, signal is active only when the switch is closed, your Sanwa, Seimetsu & Hori buttons are all NOPBs.
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    Ali's key-activated 19mm switches would definitely prevent accidental pause/home screen activations.
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 Stock

OK those are similar descriptions of the ones I'm ordering qty5 of. No issues with screwing the nuts? Came to $6.99 shipped.
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 Stock
    The screws were fine, has a little little washer/seal so you can screw them in tighter too, hasn't came loose yet.
    The screws were fine, has a little little washer/seal so you can screw them in tighter too, hasn't came loose yet.

Thanks, I did some labeled as water proof can you post pics of yours? It's gonna take time for these to arrive.
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 Stock
    Check page 35 of this thread, looks exactly like that.
  • RageousXRageousX Joined: Posts: 420
    Looking forward to pictures, @StrtFghtrMstr! I ordered the panel knowing it would be 50/50 whether I ended up wanting to use it or not, but it was a limited chance to pick one up. It should look pretty boss by the time you're done wiring it up.
    SFV - Mika
    USFIV - Makoto, Evil Ryu
    3rd Strike - Makoto
    UMvC3 - Viper/Dante/Strider
    Tekken 7 - Leo
  • DrFateDrFate Joined: Posts: 21
    Just scored a VLX premium in black for 208 shipped from EBAY!!!!!!! Going to EVO this year and this is my first Fightstick! i also had one made by arcadepc.mx with a custom button layout. Which BTY will have all hayabusa internals (buttons and joystick) I'll post pictures as soon as it comes. I might even hyrodip the thing, time will tell.
  • STEZO_ONESTEZO_ONE FLUSH TOWN Joined: Posts: 495
    DrFate wrote: »
    Just scored a VLX premium in black for 208 shipped from EBAY!!!!!!! Going to EVO this year and this is my first Fightstick! i also had one made by arcadepc.mx with a custom button layout. Which BTY will have all hayabusa internals (buttons and joystick) I'll post pictures as soon as it comes. I might even hyrodip the thing, time will tell.

Congrats on your vlx. Hope you plan ahead when trying to take a vlx to a tournament. This thing will wear you down if you carry it all day.
    Yeah my wife gonna get me a bag for it. I might use a keyboard carrying bag.
  • RageousXRageousX Joined: Posts: 420
    edited January 31
    I shuffled mine around on Evo Day 2 while getting it modded with various bits last year - it's not bad with the SplitFrame FS Transporter, since it converts into a backpack. I've also carted it to my locals without issue in that bag. It's ungainly, sure, but fine as you're backpacking it rather than carrying it around.

Edit: http://splitframe.net/collections/bags/products/street-fighter-shadaloo-psycho-transporter-xl

I have the original version, but that's functionally the same.
    SFV - Mika
    USFIV - Makoto, Evil Ryu
    3rd Strike - Makoto
    UMvC3 - Viper/Dante/Strider
    Tekken 7 - Leo
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    RageousX wrote: »
    I shuffled mine around on Evo Day 2 while getting it modded with various bits last year - it's not bad with the SplitFrame FS Transporter, since it converts into a backpack. I've also carted it to my locals without issue in that bag. It's ungainly, sure, but fine as you're backpacking it rather than carrying it around.

Edit: http://splitframe.net/collections/bags/products/street-fighter-shadaloo-psycho-transporter-xl

I have the original version, but that's functionally the same.

No, the new model has a Shadaloo winged skull in it, providing extra features such as unwanted attention attraction and a higher chance of being associated with terrorism, especially at airports. D:
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
    Lol! I was thinking the same thing. I might drive to evo though, I live in sd.
    Okay after going through this thread I see I want the Sega 1 player set up and the board for the 19 mm buttons. I know Jansen makes the Sega top but who makes the panel for the turbo buttons and stuff? Thanks ahead of time.