The Hori PS4 VLX thread

Comments

• VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 2,830
    Didn't you hear what digital said? He only wants to buy from arcade shock no matter what!!! God forbid he does something other than what he original stated. Good advice be damned.

He'll probably flag you for that.
    SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year 2015
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 989
    Isn't the presoldered headers option done by PAS applied to the top of the Brook UFB, while the setup that Jasen/AS has done for the helper board requires the headers to be soldered to the bottom of the Brook UFB.

P.S. I don't know how to solder that's why I have @Vicko as my soldering consigliere.
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
  • JannodudeJannodude Joined: Posts: 241
    Digital- wrote: »
    when is arcade shock going to have their vlx ez mod + brook ufb combo?

Their parts are being delivered. They chose to forgo a preorder period to ensure everything was ready to go for immediate shipment when the EZ MOD boards arrived. We should be meeting up for dinner this weekend so they will have that part ready to go. It will take some time to do the soldering in the UFB, so I can't speculate on exactly when they will offer the "ready to install" kit.

Excellent! Update us when it'll be available. I have no clue how to solder anything.
  • TRIFELIFESURVIVESTRIFELIFESURVIVES GG Man! Joined: Posts: 167
    busterarm wrote: »
    a8e63fac77c77ec541411e11a75919a28c0cfae8.jpg

This one's a bit out-there, but I wanted to share it... ...because Yacht Rock/Kenny-MFin-Loggins.
    Thanks to my friend Leisl for the artwork and Jasen for the printing & panel.

Loggins, Boy Wonder...

• FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,528
    edited March 2016
    Jasen: (bah, I can't get the @ thing to work now)
    Out of curiosity, since I believe that the UFB and the PS360+ has the same alternatively solder-pinout-locations for the buttons, stick and USB, does that technically mean that it's theoretically possible to pair the EZ Mod helper board with a PS360+ fairly easily?
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,383
    100%. Here's a little secret: I helped Brook finalize the layout of the UFB so that the footprint/20P/USB were in the exact same spots as the PS360+ to ensure that all accessories designed to fit on the PS360+ worked with the UFB. This means no extra cost to the EU for new products to achieve the same results with add-ons and it further standardizes footprints/connections. I think this is great for the community overall.

Anyways.. back on topic:

You won't need to hook any of the included cables up nor will you need to solder any of the included JST connections. The PS button and Select Button at the top will work still, but there wont be an L3/R3 function or TP and the DP/LS/RS won't function either. Assign functions also won't work (but they didn't work on the VLX anyways with the EZ MOD).

I would recommend that you use the alt RJ45 connections on PS360+ though if you intend on using it for legacy controls because it is a bit tight next to the side of the case meaning a standard RJ45 may not fit without a lot of extra stress on the connector.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    I'll try and remember to post it up. @TRIEU is pretty good about using Twitter to let folks know about new things in real time. If you are into that sort of thing, I would follow them to get the scoop. They have over 100 EZ MOD kits so I don't think you're in jeopardy of them running out on launch day.
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!

- Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    @Feargus001100 - The header options that Paradise solder on are in fact not compatible with the EZ MOD for a few reasons:

1. The 20P for the control inputs are male, installed on the top of the board. The EZ MOD requires females soldered to the bottom of the board.
    2. The same is true for the 4P USB points.
    3. They use standard un-shrouded top entry pins for the other connections (unless they changed recently). The JST connectors I use can plug into them, but they wont click in for a firm hold on the un-shrouded headers so a bit of hot glue would be required for insurance against disconnect.

• FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,528
    100%. Here's a little secret: I helped Brook finalize the layout of the UFB so that the footprint/20P/USB were in the exact same spots as the PS360+ to ensure that all accessories designed to fit on the PS360+ worked with the UFB. This means no extra cost to the EU for new products to achieve the same results with add-ons and it further standardizes footprints/connections. I think this is great for the community overall.

Anyways.. back on topic:

You won't need to hook any of the included cables up nor will you need to solder any of the included JST connections. The PS button and Select Button at the top will work still, but there wont be an L3/R3 function or TP and the DP/LS/RS won't function either. Assign functions also won't work (but they didn't work on the VLX anyways with the EZ MOD).

I would recommend that you use the alt RJ45 connections on PS360+ though if you intend on using it for legacy controls because it is a bit tight next to the side of the case meaning a standard RJ45 may not fit without a lot of extra stress on the connector.

Thanks for the explanation.
    I wasn't planning to do it myself, but thought it would be good to ask for other people's knowledge as well.

And I really wish I could click "Insightful", "Agree", and "Like" all at once on that post. :)
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • RagingAvatarRagingAvatar Joined: Posts: 61
    Wait - so Paradise's Brook UFBs are soldered wrong for Jasenscustoms' board?

Where can I get a presoldered board from then? #confused
    edited March 2016
    ArcadeShock will have them pre soldered to work with this EZ MOD. Remember, the Brook sits ON TOP of the EZ MOD Using a male/female pin combo to translate signals between the two.

The 2mm spacing of the other interconnects made it a requirement to use cables to connect them. 2mm pin headers are shorter than the 2.54mm ones so it couldn't all be snap down.

I'd highly encourage everyone to watch the videos I did and look at the parts list included in the kit to see where any differences exist between pre soldered solutions.

• Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 989
    Wait - so Paradise's Brook UFBs are soldered wrong for Jasenscustoms' board?

Where can I get a presoldered board from then? #confused

WRONG is kind of a strong word.

The PAS presoldered UFB's were not designed to work with the @Jasen Hicks EZ MOD board, they were designed to work with their own PAS harness in other arcade stick applications, and by the way those setups work great too :smiley:
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
    ArcadeShock will have them pre soldered to work with this EZ MOD. Remember, the Brook sits ON TOP of the EZ MOD Using a male/female pin combo to translate signals between the two.

The 2mm spacing of the other interconnects made it a requirement to use cables to connect them. 2mm pin headers are shorter than the 2.54mm ones so it couldn't all be snap down.

I'd highly encourage everyone to watch the videos I did and look at the parts list included in the kit to see where any differences exist between pre soldered solutions.

Got a question Brother, if PlayStation decides to update the firmware(probably a dumb question). All I have to do is put back the Hori PCB incase the firmware hasn't been updated?

Thanks!
    If after 2 days, if Brook hasn't updated the firmware, then yes you can just drop in the old pcb. Assuming you didn't hack up your harnesses, which this kit avoids.
    Need a stick modded? I can dual mod, repair, and customize your stick or Hitbox for PS4/PS3/XB1/360

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    edited April 2016
    Cheers everyone, I know many people in this thread want a new VLX panel and a lot of people may want to try one out first... here's a good opportunity to do both at a HUGE savings.

12898415_1995557820670230_1521111447979692994_o.jpg

• ktitzktitz Joined: Posts: 16
    Cool, but everything is out of stock?
    My First Stick
    ktitz wrote: »
    Cool, but everything is out of stock?

No, I didn't say that :) I'll be putting some unblemished panels (the blemishes are all on the bottom and can't be seen anyways) up this weekend as well. I'd STRONGLY REQUEST if you want artwork on them, you have it ready BEFORE you order.

oh nice, didnt see the date one there
    My First Stick
    Vicko wrote: »
    If after 2 days, if Brook hasn't updated the firmware, then yes you can just drop in the old pcb. Assuming you didn't hack up your harnesses, which this kit avoids.

Thanks!!
  • 2hype2hype Joined: Posts: 18
    @Jasen Hicks Is that CST?
    Pacific.

I finally found someone to swap sides with me! They're on their way, pics after they're installed!

www.vickomods.com
    lol
    Scratch Sale has officially started! Get your deep discounted Hori VLX replacement panels at a fraction of the cost! Want a great one with art, I just added those back in to the shop as well! Don't wait to get your order in, if you do... you are likely to miss out.

http://bit.ly/1pP8FXe

why arnt you able to put artwork on the blemished panels?
    My First Stick

Because they are blemished and should be repainted/touched up; this process could get on the artwork. Couple it with the desire to get them out of the shop as soon as possible you get a very low price with fewer options.

Waiting on artwork submissions, printing, dry time takes a lot of time which has personal time costs; the point of the fire sale is to minimize any more costs to the shop allowing me to focus on things that help make money so that I can reinvest in more new tech like HRAP panels, new EZ MODs, and new Panzer gear.

edited April 2016

Because they are blemished and should be repainted/touched up; this process could get on the artwork. Couple it with the desire to get them out of the shop as soon as possible you get a very low price with fewer options.

Waiting on artwork submissions, printing, dry time takes a lot of time which has personal time costs; the point of the fire sale is to minimize any more costs to the shop allowing me to focus on things that help make money so that I can reinvest in more new tech like HRAP panels, new EZ MODs, and new Panzer gear.

Got a question for you Bro, I'm planning on ordering the Hitbox panel, is the installation difficult? Do you have a video for installation?
    take out your buttons and stick, unscrew like 6 screws under your CP, donezo

www.vickomods.com
    lol

Thanks! One more noob question. If I use the EZ MOD and Brooks PCB, what would be the best way to wire up the buttons while keeping everything stock?
    the stock harness plugs into the ezmod, it's a really good product

www.vickomods.com
    lol
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,243
    Jannodude wrote: »

Thanks! One more noob question. If I use the EZ MOD and Brooks PCB, what would be the best way to wire up the buttons while keeping everything stock?

You already answered your own question. The EZ Mod does just that, keeping your wiring stock.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • crispy_noodlescrispy_noodles Joined: Posts: 2
    Hi apologies for asking a newb question but I've a friend in UK who wants to sell his VLX 4 PS3/PS4 (black one) to me at a great price but I would like to use it on PC only with SFV...is it Win 10 compatible or is there any way I can get to work?

If this has been answered somewhere on the forum please could somebody link some info.

Again, sorry please don't kill me.
  • RagingAvatarRagingAvatar Joined: Posts: 61
    Hi apologies for asking a newb question but I've a friend in UK who wants to sell his VLX 4 PS3/PS4 (black one) to me at a great price but I would like to use it on PC only with SFV...is it Win 10 compatible or is there any way I can get to work?

If this has been answered somewhere on the forum please could somebody link some info.

Again, sorry please don't kill me.

No but you can get some apps to make it work. I use the x360ce to use my VLX Hayabusa (the new one with the red sides) on PC Windows 7 for SFV. I expect it will still work under Windows 10.
  • crispy_noodlescrispy_noodles Joined: Posts: 2
    ^ a million thanks for that. I'm picking it up Tomorrow.

I'm absolutely buzzing.

Check this latest install video out:

No mods to any cables, 100% reversible. I'd like all EZMODs to be this way, but some companies decided that wires need to be soldered to boards. Fortunately, I have ways around that in most cases :)

edited April 2016
    Darksakul wrote: »

You already answered your own question. The EZ Mod does just that, keeping your wiring stock.

Check this latest install video out:

No mods to any cables, 100% reversible. I'd like all EZMODs to be this way, but some companies decided that wires need to be soldered to boards. Fortunately, I have ways around that in most cases :)

Sorry, I should have written my question with more detail. I'm talking about wiring up the buttons for a Hitbox style layout. Using four buttons for directional input. I notice when using the EZ mod everything is plug and play for a normal button/stick swap(in Jasen's video at 22:40 section). Would I have to somehow daisy chain the direction inputs as I wouldn't be able to use the stock button/joystick harness?

Thanks for the kind and prompt answers.

• kriegkrieg Joined: Posts: 54
    @Jannodude you can use a male jst 5 pin connector to wire up an adapter that would plug into the existing joystick harness. 4 cardinal directions, and one ground to daisy chain.

• silversxsilversx Joined: Posts: 6
    does the 1mm oversize kowal actuator for jlf work in the hayabusa stick? i love everything about the hayabusa except need a shorter throw.. i notice the stock and kowal are different shape up top.. one slanted one straight..
    Yes

www.vickomods.com
    lol