The Hori PS4 VLX thread

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 24,736
    Minotaur64 wrote: »
    So I acquired an original PS3 vlx. It has some paint rubbed off where the previous owner rested his hand. What's the go to solution? Paint the whole thing? What kind of paint is best. Any info/input would be appreciated

As Asiangrafx pointed out Powder Coating is your best shot, stripping down and panting the whole thing over in a thick enamel would be a 2nd choice.
    But Power Coating your best shot, as it be durable as well as it being nice looking. What ever shop you take this too will do the striping and cleaning for you.

If you are not experienced and you did this yourself, you can make it look worst by painting it yourself.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Minotaur64Minotaur64 Joined: Posts: 226
    So I acquired an original PS3 vlx. It has some paint rubbed off where the previous owner rested his hand. What's the go to solution? Paint the whole thing? What kind of paint is best. Any info/input would be appreciated

Did you buy that one off eBay about 1 or so ago?

Yuuuuup were u bidding on it?
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,469

Happen to mine too...Ended up just putting a vinyl wrap to it. I hate painting & it would have cost too much to get it powdered coated.
    Z2f5HsN.jpg

• ausomecrawlausomecrawl Demonpossessed Joined: Posts: 120

Did you buy that one off eBay about 1 or so ago?

Yuuuuup were u bidding on it?

No I didn't but I was watching it. I saw it when it was first posted on eBay. When buy it now was at 125 plus 20 for shipping. I already have a og red vlx or I probably would have bought it to restore. The wear spot only looked to be under the button area. Nice find
    rcaido wrote: »

Happen to mine too...Ended up just putting a vinyl wrap to it. I hate painting & it would have cost too much to get it powdered coated.

Wow a kuko already having paint issues?
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 1,035
    It all depends on how much you play and the sweatiness of your hands
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 24,736
    edited October 2017
    rcaido wrote: »

https://i.imgur.com/Z2f5HsN.jpg

That is some really good on the job vinyl wrap. I might have to consider a Black Carbon wrap fiber on my VLX.
    Vinyl looks awesome. But I'm assuming that it drastically changes the feel of the fightstick. One of the things I love about my vlxs is the feel of the metal on my palm.
    Vinyl looks awesome. But I'm assuming that it drastically changes the feel of the fightstick. One of the things I love about my vlxs is the feel of the metal on my palm.

It depends on the finish of the Vinyl. Powder coating will also change the feel.
  • mikeoharamikeohara V.S.O.P.C. Joined: Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Here's my most recent cosmetic experiment:

Hori VLX Hayabusa w/ Sanwa OBSJ (Silver)

I liked it and a friend did as well, so I posted the photos here. :P

I didn't quote the pictures because of possible infractions, but that is really slick looking!
    Aside from the buttons, the whole VLX looks minty fresh, have you ever used that thing?
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    anzhar wrote: »
    Aside from the buttons, the whole VLX looks minty fresh, have you ever used that thing?
    hahahaha Why do you say that / what would have expected to see?
    Yes, I have used it, though I do share my Arcade time with other models. :P I wonder if most of my other controllers would give the same impression. Hmmm...
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
    edited November 2017
    I've got my eye on a PS3 VLX on eBay. How hard would it be to swap out the PCB in there for a UFB or Brook PS3/4 board?

I don't have much experience soldering and have usually had my mods done for me within the community.
    @mikeohara I've researched this already and plan on modding mine soldering will be required as well as using a multimeter to test wires. If you aren't comfortable with soldering and don't want to risk messing it up then I suggest you pay someone to do it for you. It's not really that hard but I wouldn't suggest your first sliding job to be on a vlx
    edited November 2017
    @mikeohara I've researched this already and plan on modding mine soldering will be required as well as using a multimeter to test wires. If you aren't comfortable with soldering and don't want to risk messing it up then I suggest you pay someone to do it for you. It's not really that hard but I wouldn't suggest your first sliding job to be on a vlx

I hear ya! I'm waiting to see if I can get the money together to bid on the VLX; which I should hopefully have in the next couple of days, if not the early part of next week. The auction doesn't end for another 15 days; so I think I'm good. I'm trying to think how Share and Options would be mapped to the UFB on this stick. I'm guessing Start and Select for Options/Share with a press of both for the Touchpad if the UFB supports it.
  • asiangrafxasiangrafx Joined: Posts: 204
    edited November 2017
    mikeohara wrote: »
    I've got my eye on a PS3 VLX on eBay. How hard would it be to swap out the PCB in there for a UFB or Brook PS3/4 board?

I don't have much experience soldering and have usually had my mods done for me within the community.

If you're interested i made a custom wiring hardness that is plug and play with the brook ufb adapter by jansen. It'll use the stock home/turbo panel and have the player leds hooked up as well. I also have a stock ps4 hori vlx pcb with a similar adapter. Can keep turbo function or use turbo button as touchpad.

ZL2f4LW.jpg

Post edited by asiangrafx on
  • LLLLLFiVEL5LLLLLLFiVEL5L ¡!¿?¡!PSN:LLLLLFiVEL5L¡!¿?¡! ¡!¿?¡!CFN: FiVEL_FiGHTER_5L¡!¿?¡! Joined: Posts: 174
    Im still having trouble finding anyone to do the artwork vinyls on my VLX with Jasen's Sega player2 button layout. I see everyone's sweet custom artwork and Im jelly
    Im still having trouble finding anyone to do the artwork vinyls on my VLX with Jasen's Sega player2 button layout. I see everyone's sweet custom artwork and Im jelly

Ask hibachifinal or d3v, either of them can make art for you, for a price
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,586
    Darksakul wrote: »

Ask hibachifinal or d3v, either of them can make art for you, for a price
    I think @LLLLLFiVEL5L meant getting someone to physically make the artwork prints on an adhesive vinyl.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,378
    edited November 2017
    who’s “Jensen,” @asiangrafx ?
    The only person I know who makes those boards is a guy named Jasen...

@LLLLLFiVEL5L send an email to a Game On Grafix and ask them if they will print an art file for your VLX on adhesive-backed vinyl. They’ve done great work for other people in arcade forums.
    http://www.gameongrafix.com/customer-designed
  • VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 641
    So my Hori VLX EZ Mod Brook board died. The Brook board part. It doesn't get recognized by my PC anymore. All I did was remove some art that was vinyl stuck on it. I used a heat gun but the buttons were out and I'm wondering if maybe the heat got on the board? Anyway, I don't feel like hitting up Arcadeshock to buy a new one right now as my wife's birthday and our anniversary are coming up and Christmas is soon too. I installed the standard Hori PCB and it works so I know it's not the USB cable. Tried a USB cable direct to the Brook also and it won't pick up. Anyway, is there a way to get SOCD functionality on the stock Hori PCB? That's what I mainly need using the Hitbox panel I have and I'd be cool. Please let me know. Thanks.
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
    So my Hori VLX EZ Mod Brook board died. The Brook board part. It doesn't get recognized by my PC anymore. All I did was remove some art that was vinyl stuck on it. I used a heat gun but the buttons were out and I'm wondering if maybe the heat got on the board? Anyway, I don't feel like hitting up Arcadeshock to buy a new one right now as my wife's birthday and our anniversary are coming up and Christmas is soon too. I installed the standard Hori PCB and it works so I know it's not the USB cable. Tried a USB cable direct to the Brook also and it won't pick up. Anyway, is there a way to get SOCD functionality on the stock Hori PCB? That's what I mainly need using the Hitbox panel I have and I'd be cool. Please let me know. Thanks.

Yeah it sounds like you heated up the brook board and it got damaged. Since you have a Hit box layout on the stock,vlx board you seen to get a standalone socd cleaner. @EJM makes them.
    @EJM What type of SOCD cleaner could you get me for the Hori VLX PCB? How is it installed? Thanks.
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • EJMEJM Joined: Posts: 441
    edited November 2017
    @VarmintBaby I'm not doing them anymore. I ran out of the chips and don't plan on reordering since I have to purchase them in bulk and SOCD cleaners just don't sell anymore.

Best advice is just get another Brook board as soon as you can.
    A collection of pictures of my mods and wiring: https://instagram.com/modsbysteve/
    I done a similar thing, this past month I bought 3 sticks off eBay.

2 hori mini 4's and a Madcatz alpha. At good prices, between £18 and £20 each shipped.
    Just wanted the pcb's for a few cases I had so I could flip them as ps4 sticks.

I tried soldering wires to the start, share and PS, I couldn't get a good joint, kept trying and trying, used 3 different irons, 15w, 30w and 40w

Destroyed all fuckin 3, I'm pissed, I said no more......

But I just snagged a hori mini 4 and a madcatz alpha for a total of £12 shipped (seller said the buttons work sometimes and you have to give them hard presses, most likely microswitches, I just need pcb), gonna have 1 last go
    anzhar wrote: »
    I done a similar thing, this past month I bought 3 sticks off eBay.

2 hori mini 4's and a Madcatz alpha. At good prices, between £18 and £20 each shipped.
    Just wanted the pcb's for a few cases I had so I could flip them as ps4 sticks.

I tried soldering wires to the start, share and PS, I couldn't get a good joint, kept trying and trying, used 3 different irons, 15w, 30w and 40w

Destroyed all fuckin 3, I'm pissed, I said no more......

But I just snagged a hori mini 4 and a madcatz alpha for a total of £12 shipped (seller said the buttons work sometimes and you have to give them hard presses, most likely microswitches, I just need pcb), gonna have 1 last go

I've been there before. First time I pcb hacked a ps4 controller to install into my arcade stick I had everything done tested and working. Then I accidentally pulled on the start signal wire and pulled the contract right off. Was so sad that all the work I had put into it was done. Started probing for another location for start frantically. Then after a few minutes I calmed down and had a thought and flipped the board over and soldered on to the trace. All was saved.
    I guess moral of the story is to take your time and think with your head and all will be well.
  • NeedlecrashNeedlecrash Back to Basics. Joined: Posts: 2,046
    So, I've been wondering about this. How are you guys able to get stick art done on the viewlix? I can't find any info on it.
    The Gaming Confessions Blog
    Needlecrash's Youtube
    Working on leveling up. Follow me on Twitter @Needlecrash
    edited January 3
    So, I've been wondering about this. How are you guys able to get stick art done on the viewlix? I can't find any info on it.

@Needlecrash You have to find a place that will print art onto vinyl. Just size it to the panel of the VLX and there you have it. A sign shop will do it but I think there are even FGC related print shops now that will do it for you. I can't think of the name of that one popular one but a google search should get you started.

@Needlecrash You have to find a place that will print art onto vinyl. Just size it to the panel of the VLX and there you have it. A sign shop will do it but I think there are even FGC related print shops now that will do it for you. I can't think of the name of that one popular one but a google search should get you started.

Only one I can think of is layersFGC but I don't know if they accept direct requests.
    Needlecrash's Youtube
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,378
    edited January 3
    Not yet, they don't...though they've indicated that they will take requests in the future.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,586
    Game On Grafix (http://www.gameongrafix.com/) would probably be a good place to get adhesive art printed; though you'd probably have to take care of the template and cutting on your own, and just simply get them to print the end-result.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    Makes sense.
    Needlecrash's Youtube
  • albertinoalbertino Joined: Posts: 20
    edited January 8
    Wanna say thanks to all who helped me with my VLX mod here before the forums are no more. Peace, love, and shoryukens.
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 9
    Speaking of VLX mods, is there someone here who can get me art for the 8-button Sega Astro City 2P layout panel (I have no art for it at all)? Preferrably stock VLX art replicas (one for the VLX Kuro and another for the VLX Hayabusa... ), but I'm open to alternatives. Thanks!

Photos:
    7rc80eA.jpg
    pLY7Gr5.jpg
    EglJPGI.jpg

Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • thomasbenderthomasbender Joined: Posts: 5
    Anyone in the NYC area know where I can get my VLX cleanly drilled? I'd love to use it with a Korean stick.

My local metal shop overcharges and they did the sloppiest, scratched up job. I've drilled my Atrox which was simple enough but I'd hate to make a mistake on the beautiful body of the VLX.
  • tonyz723tonyz723 Joined: Posts: 57
    I was stalking a post on Amazon Japan that had a used 360 VLX for around 10,000 yen, which is slightly less than $100. By the time I committed mentally to ordering it, It was gone T_T
  • StrtFghtrMstrStrtFghtrMstr SRnk1VaBeachAlphaTeam Joined: Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    albertino wrote: »
    Wanna say thanks to all who helped me with my VLX mod here before the forums are no more. Peace, love, and shoryukens.

I'm glad the forums in their entirety will be archived for reference. Knowing where everyone is migrating to would be nice
    tonyz723 wrote: »
    I was stalking a post on Amazon Japan that had a used 360 VLX for around 10,000 yen, which is slightly less than $100. By the time I committed mentally to ordering it, It was gone T_T

@Markman is liquidating a lot his arcade collection on Twitter including VLXs $230shipped in US I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if he has actual copies of every stick ever made so DM him on twitter.
    Just a veteran player enjoying competitive SFV & the CPT
    -Kaillera veteran (GodWeapon Anti3d)
    -SFA3 Replay Tournament Champion (21-0)
    -Sticks & Setups currently owned
    -Namco w/HFC/SilentKuros/SilentHayabusa-Zippys
    -Namco stock
    -VLX 360 w/JLF+Silent Zippy&uSW mod/OBS-MX Reds+Silent O-Rings/Qanba/Seimetsu/PCBs360VX+HFC4, Jansen x5 19MM Turbo Panel
    -VLX 360 Stock
    -TE-S Six-Axis PCB w/ShinJN adapter
    -H2H setups: Zowie RLH2460HT, Asus VX238H-W & Monoprice 8204
  • Hustle KongHustle Kong Joined: Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Speaking of VLX mods, is there someone here who can get me art for the 8-button Sega Astro City 2P layout panel (I have no art for it at all)? Preferrably stock VLX art replicas (one for the VLX Kuro and another for the VLX Hayabusa... ), but I'm open to alternatives. Thanks!

Wow, that looks really nice as-is. Is that one of Jasen’s panels?
    "Street Fighting's my communication!"