Is there still a lot of people who still play skullgirl

2»

Comments

  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    d3v wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    I personally quit because Mike Z was patching the game way to frequently, and in my opinion, didn't let it grow.

    This is also why I called it quits. I got tired of relearning my mains. And even if they didnt change my main that much anymore, they were constantly fucking around with mechanics. I walked away for a month, and when I came back a system called "Undizzy" had been implemented. It cut ALL of my squigly combos in half if not more than that. I was done at that point. I play it casually every blue moon but I cant be bothered to put actual effort into it.
    Ah, did they remove your favorite ToDs? Somewhere out there is a tiny man with teeny-tiny hands, playing a the saddest song in history on the world's tiniest violin, just soft enough that no one will ever hear it.

    I know your post wasn't towards me but I didn't even care about anything they implemented/took off the game, but I thought it was way more fun when it was broken when it first came out. Reminded me of Marvel 2, what Mike Z intended the game to be. Oh well.
    All the mechanics that Mike has added are from Marvel 2. Undizzy was in Marvel 2 and was the game's main way to prevent infinites. Prior to Undizzy being added in Skullgirls, people were trying to play it like a new-school airdasher with heavy emphasis on long combos, and optimization.

    Aside from a few well known setups (Iron Man, Storm/Sent DHC, Cable AHVBs, etc.), Marvel 2 wasn't really heavy on TODs. It was however a very vortexy, reset intensive game, which is what Skullgirls has become after Undizzy.


    The problem was Mike implemented Undizzy after a VERY short while, to compensate for everyone crying about the problems the game had back then. I wouldn't have cared if Mike let people figure it out for a year or so, and then patch it accordingly. But instead, every few months the entirety of the game changed to the point in which I had to re-learn it, instead of improving myself with the mechanics that were already in place.

    Sound like skullgirls has its up and down within the community
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,144 mod
    d3v wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    I personally quit because Mike Z was patching the game way to frequently, and in my opinion, didn't let it grow.

    This is also why I called it quits. I got tired of relearning my mains. And even if they didnt change my main that much anymore, they were constantly fucking around with mechanics. I walked away for a month, and when I came back a system called "Undizzy" had been implemented. It cut ALL of my squigly combos in half if not more than that. I was done at that point. I play it casually every blue moon but I cant be bothered to put actual effort into it.
    Ah, did they remove your favorite ToDs? Somewhere out there is a tiny man with teeny-tiny hands, playing a the saddest song in history on the world's tiniest violin, just soft enough that no one will ever hear it.

    I know your post wasn't towards me but I didn't even care about anything they implemented/took off the game, but I thought it was way more fun when it was broken when it first came out. Reminded me of Marvel 2, what Mike Z intended the game to be. Oh well.
    All the mechanics that Mike has added are from Marvel 2. Undizzy was in Marvel 2 and was the game's main way to prevent infinites. Prior to Undizzy being added in Skullgirls, people were trying to play it like a new-school airdasher with heavy emphasis on long combos, and optimization.

    Aside from a few well known setups (Iron Man, Storm/Sent DHC, Cable AHVBs, etc.), Marvel 2 wasn't really heavy on TODs. It was however a very vortexy, reset intensive game, which is what Skullgirls has become after Undizzy.


    The problem was Mike implemented Undizzy after a VERY short while, to compensate for everyone crying about the problems the game had back then. I wouldn't have cared if Mike let people figure it out for a year or so, and then patch it accordingly. But instead, every few months the entirety of the game changed to the point in which I had to re-learn it, instead of improving myself with the mechanics that were already in place.
    Get on the Endless Beta then. Alot of the changes are tested by the players themselves on the beta.

    The patches themselves aren't that frequent. Most major patches only come when a new DLC character hits, the last one being Eliza. The smaller ones don't really change that much outside of bug fixes, and most changes don't fundamentally alter the way characters play.

    As for undizzy, what exactly would have delaying its addition done other than delayed the inevitable. As soon as the MvC2 vets recommended it and Mike himself warmed up to the idea because it did make the game play closer to MvC2, we all knew that it was coming.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,878
    Through all the changes Skullgirls had I haven't had to relearn the game at all. Out of the stuff I did with Cerebella including the day one stuff I can still pull off. Though the reason I stopped playing was it was difficult to find people playing in my coast. West Coast plays the game more than East Coast.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 765
    Isn't Skullgirls undizzy a bit different from marvel due to the undizzy decay and the negative undizy you get from counter hits? I don't remember MVC2 having those two things.

    Also MikeZ didn't just add in undizzy because it was in Marvel 2. As I recall when he first decided to limit combo more after SDE, he tried just tightening the original IPS system and different limits for restands (which I loved) and I'm pretty sure it worked. He added undizzy because he felt just tightening the IPS restricted the ways in which players could create unique combos. Using a both IPS and undizzy makes easier to limit combos while also still allowing players to make up combos as they go.

    I personally think I would prefer the first method though, because it would make the game less complicated and I think restands should be limited severely. I'm not a fan of universal restands overall. Also not many people are really taking the time to create their own combos.
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,144 mod
    Isn't Skullgirls undizzy a bit different from marvel due to the undizzy decay and the negative undizy you get from counter hits? I don't remember MVC2 having those two things.

    Also MikeZ didn't just add in undizzy because it was in Marvel 2. As I recall when he first decided to limit combo more after SDE, he tried just tightening the original IPS system and different limits for restands (which I loved) and I'm pretty sure it worked. He added undizzy because he felt just tightening the IPS restricted the ways in which players could create unique combos. Using a both IPS and undizzy makes easier to limit combos while also still allowing players to make up combos as they go.

    I personally think I would prefer the first method though, because it would make the game less complicated and I think restands should be limited severely. I'm not a fan of universal restands overall. Also not many people are really taking the time to create their own combos.

    It was however suggested to him by Marvel 2 vets.

    The reason he added the scaling to the meter is that he wanted to make it so that resetting earlier was a more viable tactic, rather than people doing a full combo, then doing a reset to restart said full combo and avoid situations where someone would lost upwards from 70% life in a single reset.

    As for people not making their own stuff, that's more a community thing. Alot of the players just focus on combo optimization, even when Mike says that it's not really required and that there should be more focus on the neutral (especially since the latest crop of characters have such strong neutral games).
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    I played two version on the PC a outdated version and most updated version and I noticed they seem faster in the outdated (I couldn't cancel a lot of peacock easy combos)
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 765
    The game received two speed updates (in the form of frame skip) since it's original release. I think they were necessary myself.
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    The game received two speed updates (in the form of frame skip) since it's original release. I think they were necessary myself.

    Oh OK good to know
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,144 mod
    How are you playing 2 versions? Are you playing on Steam, or otherwise. Because if it's not official, that kind of talk isn't exactly encouraged here.
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    d3v wrote: »
    How are you playing 2 versions? Are you playing on Steam, or otherwise. Because if it's not official, that kind of talk isn't exactly encouraged here.

    Not surprising honesntly but my friend bought skull girl on PC when it came out but never updated it so when I got mines it was updated
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Joined: Posts: 476
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste

    What stick do you have? If all else fails, just use xpadder.
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste

    What stick do you have? If all else fails, just use xpadder.
    Mayflash v2
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Joined: Posts: 476
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste

    What stick do you have? If all else fails, just use xpadder.
    Mayflash v2
    I'd definitely give xpadder a shot. I can even give you a batch file you can launch that will launch Skullgirls and xpadder together, and close xpadder automatically when you exit the game. It's pretty hassle free.
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste

    What stick do you have? If all else fails, just use xpadder.
    Mayflash v2
    I'd definitely give xpadder a shot. I can even give you a batch file you can launch that will launch Skullgirls and xpadder together, and close xpadder automatically when you exit the game. It's pretty hassle free.

    I'll do that after school if not I am a "pro" pad player
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Joined: Posts: 476
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste

    What stick do you have? If all else fails, just use xpadder.
    Mayflash v2
    I'd definitely give xpadder a shot. I can even give you a batch file you can launch that will launch Skullgirls and xpadder together, and close xpadder automatically when you exit the game. It's pretty hassle free.

    I'll do that after school if not I am a "pro" pad player
    You should try out the keyboard too. I played pad for decades before trying it out, and I never went back. I use a hitbox type controller now, which is basically a keyboard with better buttons.
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste

    What stick do you have? If all else fails, just use xpadder.
    Mayflash v2
    I'd definitely give xpadder a shot. I can even give you a batch file you can launch that will launch Skullgirls and xpadder together, and close xpadder automatically when you exit the game. It's pretty hassle free.

    I'll do that after school if not I am a "pro" pad player
    You should try out the keyboard too. I played pad for decades before trying it out, and I never went back. I use a hitbox type controller now, which is basically a keyboard with better buttons.
    Look a hell a lot better than me Learning stick
    Me with stick=newborn baby
    Me with pad=best there is
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Joined: Posts: 476
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste

    What stick do you have? If all else fails, just use xpadder.
    Mayflash v2
    I'd definitely give xpadder a shot. I can even give you a batch file you can launch that will launch Skullgirls and xpadder together, and close xpadder automatically when you exit the game. It's pretty hassle free.

    I'll do that after school if not I am a "pro" pad player
    You should try out the keyboard too. I played pad for decades before trying it out, and I never went back. I use a hitbox type controller now, which is basically a keyboard with better buttons.
    Look a hell a lot better than me Learning stick
    Me with stick=newborn baby
    Me with pad=best there is

    Yeah I owned a stick at one point, but couldn't be bothered to learn to use is. I probably should have, but I'm happy with where I ended up. If arcades will still relevant in the US, I'd probably force myself to learn it. I might do that anyway, since I intend to build my own cabinet at some point, and the hitbox layout on a cabinet just wouldn't be right.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,361 admin
    Moved to the Skullgirls forum.

    http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382
    "I'm sure you're very wicked people - but how dull it would be if everyone was good."

  • ParasoulParasoul Reporting for Duty! Joined: Posts: 275
    Skullgirls is ded.
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    Kwyjibo wrote: »
    It wouldn't matter cuz It donesnt work well with my stick so it feel like a waste

    What stick do you have? If all else fails, just use xpadder.
    Mayflash v2
    I'd definitely give xpadder a shot. I can even give you a batch file you can launch that will launch Skullgirls and xpadder together, and close xpadder automatically when you exit the game. It's pretty hassle free.

    I'll do that after school if not I am a "pro" pad player
    You should try out the keyboard too. I played pad for decades before trying it out, and I never went back. I use a hitbox type controller now, which is basically a keyboard with better buttons.
    Look a hell a lot better than me Learning stick
    Me with stick=newborn baby
    Me with pad=best there is

    Yeah I owned a stick at one point, but couldn't be bothered to learn to use is. I probably should have, but I'm happy with where I ended up. If arcades will still relevant in the US, I'd probably force myself to learn it. I might do that anyway, since I intend to build my own cabinet at some point, and the hitbox layout on a cabinet just wouldn't be right.
    Yea it still laggy with the
    Parasoul wrote: »
    Skullgirls is ded.

    What make you say that
  • LightzLightz Fish food today, fish shit tomorrow Joined: Posts: 1,239
    I wouldn't say it's "dead", well on consoles probably, but on PC at least, the game is still fairly active and is still getting updated regularly. Beowulf is coming out very soon and Robo-Fortune after that
    I don't care
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    Lightz wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's "dead", well on consoles probably, but on PC at least, the game is still fairly active and is still getting updated regularly. Beowulf is coming out very soon and Robo-Fortune after that

    Beo came out already steam won't give him to me
  • JustinAkatsukiJustinAkatsuki Joined: Posts: 214
    I still play skullgirls just not very good at the game. And can never find online matches over xbox live
  • TeddiedriverTeddiedriver learning the ropes trying to get better Joined: Posts: 191
    I still play skullgirls just not very good at the game. And can never find online matches over xbox live

    You know that was least bought version of SG out of all of them
  • LightzLightz Fish food today, fish shit tomorrow Joined: Posts: 1,239
    Lightz wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's "dead", well on consoles probably, but on PC at least, the game is still fairly active and is still getting updated regularly. Beowulf is coming out very soon and Robo-Fortune after that

    Beo came out already steam won't give him to me
    It doesn't come up under the Skullgirls DLC for some reason. I found him here

    http://store.steampowered.com/app/245177/
    I don't care
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.