Samurai Shodown Talk

Comments

• ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921
    Like I fucking knew, you're a fucking moronic SF castoff with no FG knowledge at all. SS1 had ACTUAL 2in1's(normals that lead to special moves ON PURPOSE, since you don't know shit). SS2 put in intangibility after normals because the damage system wasn't built for that type of play in mind.

Also, if your game has THAT many useless normals in places where they shouldn't be, you fucked up and needed to go back to the drawing board. Hanzo and Galford's far standing hard slash says hi.

Then this dildo residue is flat out lying. Most SNK games had janky ass controls BEFORE 1997. All fireballs were done with fucking d,df+p instead of the normal notation just an example. It's the reason why KOF 97 had better control than KOF 96. Some examples of games with good control at the time were KOF 95, Karnov's Revenge, and Breakers.

I'm so glad they went on with the way SS went. It got rid of people like you who hold everyone else back. You're most likely not even good at the game, and you're probably just regurgitating what someone TOLD you about it.

5sp and Tenka gave SS some MUCH needed depth, they added characters back into the series and made very good new ones, redefined the gameplay with the Spirit system in Tenka, gave use to EVERY normal and special, all while keeping the feel of the old games intact without bringing all the dumb shit back with it. Go play Toribash or some shit if you don't like combos.

You're just a fucking fanboy that can't accept that time has marched on. Like I said, after you said Last Blade was shitty, ALL of your credibility flew out the window. Go die in a flaming syringe pile.

I'm done with you. All other shit is about to get ignored so we can get back on topic.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
    Ss2 controls are shit though, stiff as fuck, dashing feels awful
    All in all ss is a series that never really lived up to it's full potential, it's by a mile as the best characters of any fighting game franchise and it really is gonna be a shame we'll never see them again, what a waste of a series

This. Always hated the fact that dashing pretty much locked you into the running animation unless you did a special, a TERRIBLE roll, or jumped.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,130
    Yeah, I had more fun with the later games, even if some of them had some silly junk going on.
    Why does SS2 get soo much praise?
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    Probably because 2 came out when games were still trying to find their way with combo systems. It's main focus was on poking and patience, waiting for that one moment to strike. The gameplay was very simple, and it gave players with less dexterity an opportunity to keep up with the rapidly increasing frequency of combo systems in other games.

Also, at the time, it was one of the best looking SNK games out. People still remember such things as Galford's stage, and the flame effects on moves.

The problem comes in where people refused to accept that the game needed to expand on what it had achieved in 2, and go on into the year 1995 aka The Year Of The Combo. They tried to incorporate a style of gameplay that they figured would keep them in contention with the rest of the fighting games at that point. The infinites may signal that they failed to some, but it also made sure that we had a basis for what eventually became a great combo system for the game in future installments. Also, 3 is still the best looking Samurai Shodown game in my honest opinion.
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,968
    Everythng single fighting game series has their flaws. Lets not try to make SS2 some ubgodly abomination or SSVS some great savior either.

SS2 whiel shit controls still held on to people for is aesthetic and bringing a different feel to the genre. SS2 still to the day is far simple than any of the other SS game we got. ( havent played SS64 but it seems frantic) SS2 bad controls did int hurt the fact you played heavy footsie and use your normal majroity of the time. You had just enough to do what you needed to play.

SSVS goes for more dynamic route allowing variety of strategy and mechanics to offset characer short comming how ever they sacrafice simple control lay out to make this possible. Player had more stuff to consider and micro manage which si why some may not have liked it.

SS tenka try to accommodate this but dont think it work out.

Personally that why I'm fan of Shin Kohime fighter it gets nice balance of simpleness of SS2 but expands on it bit much needed variety.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    We're saying that other people try to make SS2 into a great savior at the expense of 5sp and Tenka.

Since I've probably had more time with Tenka on a high level than a lot of people in this thread, I can assure you that the game is built with great respect to the systems of the older games, but the engine allows for more flexibility in terms of gameplay styles. There are combos in the game, but most are VERY short and the stamina gauge makes sure that anything beyond those initial few hits are not detrimental. Some of the new mixup options afforded to the cast because of the engine really help out the lower end of the cast to keep the competitive.

The only bad things people can say about Tenka is about the infinites on a few characters that were fixed in the console versions, the music, and the backgrounds. Anything else is just nitpicking.

• petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    Shishioh wrote: »
    SNK evolved the series past the year 1993/1994, when it's original fans were just SF cast offs

SS definitely had a unique fanbase, not tied to SF. World Heroes games as well, since they added time warp and history elements

Fatal Fury, KOF94 and Art of Fighting on the other hand do appeal to the SF cast offs, though they have not many similarities in game mechanics
    too slow!
    petran79 wrote: »
    SNK evolved the series past the year 1993/1994, when it's original fans were just SF cast offs

SS definitely had a unique fanbase, not tied to SF. World Heroes games as well, since they added time warp and history elements

Fatal Fury, KOF94 and Art of Fighting on the other hand do appeal to the SF cast offs, though they have not many similarities in game mechanics

Then how do you explain people like Akuma pic guy(they come a dime a dozen) always comparing the games to SF? There were more people in those days that played SF/SS than just SS, and their mindset continues to poison the generations after it. They're the vocal majority with band wagoners in tow.

But if you want to expose them, just ask them for a list of things that make SS2 the best game....it'll be hilarious.

All the rest of us wanted to do was like our respective games, they won't allow you to without trying to put themselves over you.
    You really don't know wtf you're talking about, shitshio. Are you even old enough to know what people were doing back in those times? To me you just sound like a retard trying to shove opinions in people's shoe's. Talking about generations, don't know which one you're from but I know it's fucking retarded. You must be one of those ultra 64 shits.

Still can't stay on topic...

When I think SS2, these are the types of people that come to mind. Someone who joined SRK 4 years ago, with a Akuma profile pic. He probably got his money stolen at the game room a while back, and never forgot about it.

Now, this guy is probably TERRIBLE at SS2, and games in general. He just thinks that he should say dumb shit on SRK so he can look like he fits in. He's also that guy you see at Evo, QUIET as fuck, didn't enter anything, and is super nice offline.

It's ok, son. We understand.

But on the real, SS2 is about as good as it's controls.
  • SæQuoSæQuo Joined: Posts: 267
    I am really trying to figure out exactly what shishioh is trying to figure out. What in the hell is so great about SS2 that makes a game as great as SS6 not so great anymore?

I am not a fan of 5sp but I can see why people liked it, it is mad different and really fun. But why people do not even try SS6 is just beyond me.... I think most people are just 06 or 09ers and just never really played any SS games.

I do not know how people do not really give SS6 a chance. It has 6 sub systems.....I mean combos, parry, hard counters...... That meditate shit..... This game is really really good.....

The jump system in SS6 is kinda weird, where most good jump pressure comes from an awkward up-back into down-forward wall jump.... That could also be why people do not like it because there really is very little jump ins that lead to straight combos...

Do not worry shishioh, I have been thinking the exact same thing about SS2 and the people who praise it since it came out on Xboxlive. That game sucks donkey dick and I love cham cham.......

Just keep playing anthologies on wii or SS6 on PS3 (Japan Psn thank you much!!!)
    My C.O.B. will always ride B.O.E. Put that Pussy on a Pedestal!!!
    Skinny Jeans and Smeidum Tees, White Bitches wit DD's. Watching my kids grow like I am waterin' seeds.
    Oh yeah and Sam Sho 64 was my second favorite..... I played that game for like 6 months straight in Laguna Hills mall......

Sam Sho 2 for NeoGeo Pocket Color was very similar to 64 with the combo system.... The card system in the neogeo pocket version was also a cool add.....

I would have to say that 6 then 64 then 2 on Neogeo Pocket are my favs, but 6 and 2 on neogeo pocket are games people should play forever!!!
    Skinny Jeans and Smeidum Tees, White Bitches wit DD's. Watching my kids grow like I am waterin' seeds.
    Shishio so fucking bitter.

Because?
    SæQuo wrote: »
    I am really trying to figure out exactly what shishioh is trying to figure out. What in the hell is so great about SS2 that makes a game as great as SS6 not so great anymore?

I am not a fan of 5sp but I can see why people liked it, it is mad different and really fun. But why people do not even try SS6 is just beyond me.... I think most people are just 06 or 09ers and just never really played any SS games.

I do not know how people do not really give SS6 a chance. It has 6 sub systems.....I mean combos, parry, hard counters...... That meditate shit..... This game is really really good.....

The jump system in SS6 is kinda weird, where most good jump pressure comes from an awkward up-back into down-forward wall jump.... That could also be why people do not like it because there really is very little jump ins that lead to straight combos...

Do not worry shishioh, I have been thinking the exact same thing about SS2 and the people who praise it since it came out on Xboxlive. That game sucks donkey dick and I love cham cham.......

Just keep playing anthologies on wii or SS6 on PS3 (Japan Psn thank you much!!!)

6's system just makes the most sense out of the games. It's everything people wanted to like about CVS2 without sacrificing anything that made Samural Shodown unique.

It does everything 2 does gameplay wise, but better, and it threw in the rest of the series' system's for good measure. No character just beats another due to match up shit because of the perks of the different spirits, so all that bitching about Ukyo(such as in 2) goes out of the window.

SS2 players have been jaded for a long time, SNKPlaymore tried to appease them with 5sp, but they hated that too. I'm just glad we got updates to the series beyond 2 because we would have never gotten 64-2 and Tenka.

So fuck them, we got better games in the long run.
    edited August 2015
    Huh, so that's what that feels like.

Anyway, here's a channel on YT with a shitload of Tenka matches. Some of them show the dynamic ways you can deal with top tiers, such as picking the III spirit to deal with Amakusa's crossup shenanigans. The channel page itself isn't showing up, but this vid will lead you to it.

• braves01braves01 Joined: Posts: 34
    So is the Wii anthology worth picking up instead of just getting II/IV off virtual console? The anthology would be a no-brainer for me except the sprite filter/blur is making me apprehensive, and I can't find any good comparison pics online.
    braves01 wrote: »
    So is the Wii anthology worth picking up instead of just getting II/IV off virtual console? The anthology would be a no-brainer for me except the sprite filter/blur is making me apprehensive, and I can't find any good comparison pics online.

the anthology is worth it due to having training mode, key configuration, color edit mode and so on though I do think teh virtual console is arcade perfect.
    Seikuken Disciple
  • The_AdventurerThe_Adventurer Joined: Posts: 147
    edited August 2015

I believe the sprite filter only affects SSVI (way to blow it Playmore SNK). The rest of the titles are arcade perfect, plus training modes. EDIT: No SSV Special either. :(

I believe the sprite filter only affects SSVI (way to blow it Playmore SNK). The rest of the titles are arcade perfect, plus training modes. EDIT: No SSV Special either. :(

The "no 5sp outside of Neo Geo" shit always bothered me. It's like they didn't want many people to play the game by design. Really Sega-ish lol
    I did not know we are ok to post vids.... I have been subed to him for over 3 years!!!! I love his vids and youtube has gotten better over the years so it is eaiser to search for cast members.

I main rimururu and rera!!! I wounder if people still play this since the PS3 release???

• RuffluvRuffluv Joined: Posts: 9
    the next installment should draw not only mechanics and elements from 4 and 5sp but 1&2 back in the series heyday. throws should come back but i adjusted to break defense (most of the charactes are holding weapons after all) those instant finishers can go since the game relies on random fatalities, give haohmaru back his damn light swipe and rice wine attack back and bring asura and shiki in like they were in battle coliseum.
    I read that one problem Tenka had was that expect some balance issues, inferior music and stages and removal of fatalities, final slashes and blood, it was easy to keep the opponent away from their weapons, thus making the encounter one sided. He said that best games were SS2 and 5, for which I agree as well.
    too slow!
    I read that one problem Tenka had was that expect some balance issues, inferior music and stages and removal of fatalities, final slashes and blood, it was easy to keep the opponent away from their weapons, thus making the encounter one sided. He said that best games were SS2 and 5, for which I agree as well.

I mean....Amakusa(the main offender) can keep you away from your weapon in every game he was playable in. That was a main part of his game plan. Also, it helps to learn characters who have good mobility and learn to outsmart him in the matchup. The more you play a matchup, the more you can formulate a strategy against something. This isn't Morrigan or Vanilla Phoenix, bruh.

Balance issues are going to be present in games with large rosters, but Tenka mitigated that with multiple sub systems for each spirit. The infinites can be banned without a slippery slope because they only extend to a very small number of the cast that were already good, such as Mizuki.

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks 2 is the best, but they never have legit reasons. It's hard to take people seriously if they hate something because it's not the same as something that came out in 1994. Like I've stated in the past, Tenka does everything 2(and it's younger brother 5sp) do better from a game play standpoint. Everything else(such as blood, and all that other attention getting shit) is simply nitpicking.

Also, you don't like 5. Nobody likes 5. You like 5sp.

And lets stop "reading" things about games instead of playing them. If I would have just read about SNK games from fans of other game companies, I would have NEVER played these games. Go read some of the Gamefaqs archives in the FG forum sometime if you want to know what I mean. Gamepro was notorious for talking shit about SNK, while Tips and Tricks didn't even acknowledge their existence. This is why I always tell SNK fans who actively shit on other SNK fans to stop being stupid. It only makes you look foolish when you argue with someone who's essentially on the same side as you.
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 438
    edited August 2015
    Yo @Shishioh, I got a few questions regarding Tenka:
    BzChoy wrote: »
    Regarding EX Galford in Tenka, I just found out that he has a shadow copy glitch he can use to stall till the timer runs out. Now, this is stuff I only read about and it didn't have any more detail about it; it didn't even say how to perform it. So what, I just do shadow copy and hope the opponent never hits the real one? I don't get it.
    the knockdown OS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that in Tenka, a player can input an OS to punish both an opponent's tech rolls (the rolling one and the quick standing one). How is it done?

Also, is there any good issen/Mu no Kyouchi setup with V-Shizu?

Post edited by BzChoy on
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
    Isn;t SS2 a turtle fest at high level? not as bad as SS sen but close to it?

Not sure why people are hating on SSV or SS2. The situation seem similar to the Dark stalker revenge and Vampire Savior community. You have Dalk Stalker revenge meta is driven by fundamentals, similar to SS2
    While Vampire Savior meta is driven by execution and mechanics, similar to SS v special.

Can;t we take page from their book and just get along?
    Seikuken Disciple
    I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks 2 is the best, but they never have legit reasons. It's hard to take people seriously if they hate something because it's not the same as something that came out in 1994. Like I've stated in the past, Tenka does everything 2(and it's younger brother 5sp) do better from a game play standpoint. Everything else(such as blood, and all that other attention getting shit) is simply nitpicking.

Probably for the same reason some think SC1 for Dreamcast is the best
    It has less to do with polishing gameplay
    too slow!

Probably for the same reason some think SC1 for Dreamcast is the best
    It has less to do with polishing gameplay

But then you would have to agree with my statement.
    I did not say I disagree.
    SS2 is kinda like SF2:CE.
    I prefer slow speed fighters with all their shortcomings.
    Like Metal Slug and the gfx delay, it is part of the game.
    too slow!
    Samurai Shodown V Special is the best Samurai Shodown game because you can do fatalities on Nakoruru and Rimururu.

you can do this on Sen as well on 3D
    too slow!
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Samurai Shodown V Special is the best Samurai Shodown game because you can do fatalities on Nakoruru and Rimururu.

haha this may be the only post where Sen is regarded. XD

BTW Im interested on reading about the oki OS on tenka. No one elaborated on it.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,130

Don't forget they're the only ones susceptible especially to vertical-bisecting fatalities where their clothes oh so cleanly fly open... before the rest of the body follows suit.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,169

We don't speak of that game.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary
    KOF98UM: Mature/Geese/EX-King
    LB2: Yuki, Washizuka, Hibiki
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 438
    BTW Im interested on reading about the oki OS on tenka. No one elaborated on it.

This is where I first read about it:
    Dandy J wrote: »
    And the wakeup system where one option avoids strikes and the other avoids throws, but the good characters just have ways to option select punish both rolls so everyone stays down and it slows down the game pace to a crawl.

I didn't make that shit up so I'm not crazy. Maybe @Shishioh or @Dandy J can shed some light.
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
  • braves01braves01 Joined: Posts: 34
    edited August 2015

I ended up getting this recently, and it definitely does look way better on my TV than I thought it would. If there is some smoothing, it's pretty light. I actually like that the flashing on hit has been removed since that was always distracting to me. The only downside is I noticed one level in SS2 that used the flashing to make it look like rain was animating in the background now just has static rain that doesn't even appear to move/animate. Otherwise, all the other stages look intact so far.

This is where I first read about it:
    Dandy J wrote: »
    And the wakeup system where one option avoids strikes and the other avoids throws, but the good characters just have ways to option select punish both rolls so everyone stays down and it slows down the game pace to a crawl.

I didn't make that shit up so I'm not crazy. Maybe @Shishioh or @Dandy J can shed some light.

I can tell you that it's ALWAYS a bad idea to recover like that in the corner. The roll isn't invincible in any capacity, and it leaves you in a standing stun animation if you get hit.

But if you don't get up, you can be hit with pursuit attacks, which can lead to infinites(if you haven't banned them or you're not playing on the home version) as you are command throw vulnerable as you're getting up. Gaira and Mizuki are the most notorious examples, but it can be done by anyone with a command grab at least one time.

I honestly wasn't aware of there being two distinct wakeup rolls, so I hope he can shed some light on that.

Don't know if I gave some info you were looking for or not, but it's been a while since I've been able to play this with anyone. Most of the time, we never recovery rolled in the first place since we knew what would happen.

• opt2notopt2not Joined: Posts: 44
    I've always wanted to get into SamSho, but never really dug into it. Are there any guides for noobs that want to learn the gameplay system? My google-fu seems to be lacking today.
    I remember seeing some pretty awesome tutorial videos on how-to play KOF...starting from the basics. It would be sweet to have something like that for SamSho.
  • nfds_allwdnfds_allwd Joined: Posts: 521
    opt2not wrote: »
    Are there any guides for noobs that want to learn the gameplay system? My google-fu seems to be lacking today.

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Samurai_Shodown_V_Special great guide for ssvsp
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,732
    edited December 2015
    If anyone can lead me to a comprehensive and complete Asura Zanmaden guide, it would be much appreciated. Suija is as complicated as he looks.
    Post edited by Shishioh on
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,556
    Response to an old comment, but wasn't 5 Special made by the developers on the side and was hidden from upper management until it was too late? So it's almost like a rom-hack made by the original developers that management/corporate doesn't wish to acknowledge. So that's why it's not in any anthology or any collection afterwards. I'm not too certain because I was told this long ago, maybe by Giby or someone, so if someone else could elaborate or cross check please.
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    Is there anyway to play 6/Tenka online?
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

Is there anyway to play 6/Tenka online?

there is a pcsx2 fork with online features. Some games work

https://github.com/alexsharoff/pcsx2-online
    too slow!