Samurai Shodown Talk

Comments

• keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,984
    Isn;t SS2 a turtle fest at high level? not as bad as SS sen but close to it?

Not sure why people are hating on SSV or SS2. The situation seem similar to the Dark stalker revenge and Vampire Savior community. You have Dalk Stalker revenge meta is driven by fundamentals, similar to SS2
    While Vampire Savior meta is driven by execution and mechanics, similar to SS v special.

Can;t we take page from their book and just get along?
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    Shishioh wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks 2 is the best, but they never have legit reasons. It's hard to take people seriously if they hate something because it's not the same as something that came out in 1994. Like I've stated in the past, Tenka does everything 2(and it's younger brother 5sp) do better from a game play standpoint. Everything else(such as blood, and all that other attention getting shit) is simply nitpicking.

Probably for the same reason some think SC1 for Dreamcast is the best
    It has less to do with polishing gameplay
    too slow!
  • ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921
    petran79 wrote: »
    Shishioh wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks 2 is the best, but they never have legit reasons. It's hard to take people seriously if they hate something because it's not the same as something that came out in 1994. Like I've stated in the past, Tenka does everything 2(and it's younger brother 5sp) do better from a game play standpoint. Everything else(such as blood, and all that other attention getting shit) is simply nitpicking.

Probably for the same reason some think SC1 for Dreamcast is the best
    It has less to do with polishing gameplay

But then you would have to agree with my statement.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
    I did not say I disagree.
    SS2 is kinda like SF2:CE.
    I prefer slow speed fighters with all their shortcomings.
    Like Metal Slug and the gfx delay, it is part of the game.
    too slow!
    Samurai Shodown V Special is the best Samurai Shodown game because you can do fatalities on Nakoruru and Rimururu.

you can do this on Sen as well on 3D
    too slow!
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Samurai Shodown V Special is the best Samurai Shodown game because you can do fatalities on Nakoruru and Rimururu.

haha this may be the only post where Sen is regarded. XD

BTW Im interested on reading about the oki OS on tenka. No one elaborated on it.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,337

Don't forget they're the only ones susceptible especially to vertical-bisecting fatalities where their clothes oh so cleanly fly open... before the rest of the body follows suit.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,183

We don't speak of that game.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary, Geese
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 443
    BTW Im interested on reading about the oki OS on tenka. No one elaborated on it.

This is where I first read about it:
    Dandy J wrote: »
    And the wakeup system where one option avoids strikes and the other avoids throws, but the good characters just have ways to option select punish both rolls so everyone stays down and it slows down the game pace to a crawl.

I didn't make that shit up so I'm not crazy. Maybe @Shishioh or @Dandy J can shed some light.
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
  • braves01braves01 Joined: Posts: 34
    edited August 2015
    braves01 wrote: »
    So is the Wii anthology worth picking up instead of just getting II/IV off virtual console? The anthology would be a no-brainer for me except the sprite filter/blur is making me apprehensive, and I can't find any good comparison pics online.

I believe the sprite filter only affects SSVI (way to blow it Playmore SNK). The rest of the titles are arcade perfect, plus training modes. EDIT: No SSV Special either. :(

I ended up getting this recently, and it definitely does look way better on my TV than I thought it would. If there is some smoothing, it's pretty light. I actually like that the flashing on hit has been removed since that was always distracting to me. The only downside is I noticed one level in SS2 that used the flashing to make it look like rain was animating in the background now just has static rain that doesn't even appear to move/animate. Otherwise, all the other stages look intact so far.
    BzChoy wrote: »

This is where I first read about it:
    Dandy J wrote: »
    And the wakeup system where one option avoids strikes and the other avoids throws, but the good characters just have ways to option select punish both rolls so everyone stays down and it slows down the game pace to a crawl.

I didn't make that shit up so I'm not crazy. Maybe @Shishioh or @Dandy J can shed some light.

I can tell you that it's ALWAYS a bad idea to recover like that in the corner. The roll isn't invincible in any capacity, and it leaves you in a standing stun animation if you get hit.

But if you don't get up, you can be hit with pursuit attacks, which can lead to infinites(if you haven't banned them or you're not playing on the home version) as you are command throw vulnerable as you're getting up. Gaira and Mizuki are the most notorious examples, but it can be done by anyone with a command grab at least one time.

I honestly wasn't aware of there being two distinct wakeup rolls, so I hope he can shed some light on that.

Don't know if I gave some info you were looking for or not, but it's been a while since I've been able to play this with anyone. Most of the time, we never recovery rolled in the first place since we knew what would happen.

"Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
  • opt2notopt2not Joined: Posts: 44
    I've always wanted to get into SamSho, but never really dug into it. Are there any guides for noobs that want to learn the gameplay system? My google-fu seems to be lacking today.
    I remember seeing some pretty awesome tutorial videos on how-to play KOF...starting from the basics. It would be sweet to have something like that for SamSho.
  • nfds_allwdnfds_allwd Joined: Posts: 521
    opt2not wrote: »
    Are there any guides for noobs that want to learn the gameplay system? My google-fu seems to be lacking today.

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Samurai_Shodown_V_Special great guide for ssvsp
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,148
    edited December 2015
    If anyone can lead me to a comprehensive and complete Asura Zanmaden guide, it would be much appreciated. Suija is as complicated as he looks.
    Post edited by Shishioh on
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Response to an old comment, but wasn't 5 Special made by the developers on the side and was hidden from upper management until it was too late? So it's almost like a rom-hack made by the original developers that management/corporate doesn't wish to acknowledge. So that's why it's not in any anthology or any collection afterwards. I'm not too certain because I was told this long ago, maybe by Giby or someone, so if someone else could elaborate or cross check please.
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    Is there anyway to play 6/Tenka online?
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

Is there anyway to play 6/Tenka online?

there is a pcsx2 fork with online features. Some games work

https://github.com/alexsharoff/pcsx2-online
    too slow!
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,845
    blufang wrote: »
    Yeah Samsho is such an underrated series. It really is the only fighting series that has got weapons based fighting right. Many games just have weapons for show, as slightly extended hitboxes...in Samsho there is disarming, clashes, and you are mostly dependent on your weapon to do damage.

Samsho5sp is one of my favorite fighting games ever...however also by far the least played of my favorites. Hardly anyone on GGPO or fightcade.

I don't understand what happened with Samsho. Samsho1 when it came out in the arcades, was super popular....tons of people playing all the time. It was by far the most played SNK game I've ever seen. Samsho 2 was played too, but you didn't see it in as many arcades. Then it just dropped off the face of the earth.

it would be epic if a new Samurai Showdown goes in the direction of Bushido Blade 2. a more realistic full 3D duel game like Bushido Blade 2, but with Samurai Shodown, would be incredible. heck, SNKP could team up with Square and make a Samurai Shodown X Bushido Blade game. :) Samurai Shodown could be more than a street fighter clone with weapons. with Bushido Blade's realism, and Samurai Shodown's body slicing finishers, they could produce something even more epic than both.
  • MrOldTimersMrOldTimers Joined: Posts: 9
    anyone have ss4 strats?
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    anyone have ss4 strats?

pick hanzo, get POW profit!
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • StoneDrumStoneDrum Joined: Posts: 1,096
    this might be my favorite fighting game in existence if:

slowdown reduced dramatically

runs and movement were smoother

ss3 grade sprites

changed throw system

slight ukyo nerf

all very forgivable things...except the overall feel is just soooooooo old. iz hard to get into.

thanks so much for the insight spider dan. i was wondering how high level was so much faster
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,147
    Throws? Why would you change throws, running throws in SS2 are the best thing ever. Isn't slowdown just a thing that happens when strong slashes connect, also? It's been a long time since I played the game but I don't remember slowdown interfering with normal play.

The only things that really need fixing are the controls, which are too strict, and the random damage. In case of a rebalance not only Ukyo should be toned down a bit, some characters like Nako should get buffs too.
    the problem i have with throws i cnt exactly put my finger on. like it seems as awkward as the dash itself sometimes...im not sure what it is...the invincibility frames or something??

the slowdown doesnt exactly interfere with gameplay but it does for me because the pacing makes me queasy sometimes. the slowdown is very exaggerated for strongs and specials and throws and supers disarms etc. even specials on block do it sometimes. i like the idea but it is too much for me. too much time waiting and too much time trying to act coming out of it as fast as i can. again i like the idea, just not how it is done. you might know what im talking about if you played it again.

oh another thing is the clash mechanic that randomly decides who wins. or is it random in ss1 only?

yeah i guess nak needs some buffs too. the rest seems pretty dang ok though. maybe nic too.
  • Spider-DanSpider-Dan Joined: Posts: 1,003
    Clash in SS2 is decided by mashing.
    I May Be Wrong, but I Doubt It
    yeah but isnt the victor randomly chosen...a la mario party? ive read somewhere it is
    it's whoever mashes the most
    It 5 and 5 special you can actually see the amount of button presses you do during the clash, in hindsight it would have been the thing to do from the start of the series.

AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    edited June 2016
    can you confirm that for SS2? i read that that is what was told in manuals and shit, but the computer actuall yjust picks by itsef
    If a clash happens and nobody presses anything, then yes it's random who loses there weapon
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    You didn't confirm if it isn't random if both mash though. Which I read somewhere that it was proven to do so in the early samsho games.
    If both mash the one who mashes more wins 100%
    It's what i've always seen, what i've always experienced, and what i've just tested, try it for yourself
    There might be a limit you have to reach before it always goes to a draw, because i'd say 60/40 of clashes i've seen end in a draw that is the most common outcome

Hopefully you didn't get your info from the same person or persons that think ss3 is as slow as ss1 also HAHA!!!
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    Clashes are random in SS1 only.

Throws in SS2 are great to me, dunno what is it that you dislike. They are strong oldschool throws made really good since you can do them instantly while running. So good to keep the opponent guessing and then do a running grab when he doesn't expect it.

The slowdown as far as I remember is there to emphasize impact, and I see nothing wrong with it. What really annoys me is the input detection, which is really wonky and strict. Dunno if it has a low buffer or if it uses some other system, but whatever it is it could use a fix.
    I just think throws FEEL weird as fuck for some reason. Same about the slowdown. It makes it feel less responsive than the game actually is. Yeah the same about the input detection. It just feels clunky ish.
    You should just try doing running throws, I'm sure that will make you change your opinion on them. To me they are the best throws outside of something like ST.
  • Spider-DanSpider-Dan Joined: Posts: 1,003
    edited June 2016
    The slowdown is similar to the slowdown when you get hit by a projectile in SF2 series. I don't find it to be an issue (you don't get dropped inputs like you do in SF2).

The problems I've had with input detection (particularly during oki after I throw an opponent) were resolved by negative-edging my specials in that specific instance.
    I May Be Wrong, but I Doubt It
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,083
    Samsho isnt THAT underrated. I got bored at work and tried looking at some high lvl samsho.

Evidently the most recent one isnt the competitive standard which doesnt back up how underrated the game is. I think there was a lot of innovation as far as bursts, fatalities, OTG and the like but other series ended up doing them well, er better.

Now as far as classic character designs, they have a lot to work with. But not if SNK wants to do another 2.5 thing.

They should really think about outsourcing. I could only imagine how solid French Bread or Arksys could make SamSho.
    They already outsourced it before to Yuki, the makers of Arcana Heart. They did a solid job. I'd rather have SNK themselves make a sequel though.