Samurai Shodown Talk

Comments

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,543
    If they localize Samurai Shodown RPG in english they could easily get a lot more fame (and more affordable than developing a AAA fighting game, of course they could still make a new Samurai Shodown, but rpgs are popular and SS RPG is one a kind)

Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • PencileroPencilero Joined: Posts: 162
    affinity wrote: »
    If they localize Samurai Shodown RPG in english they could easily get a lot more fame (and more affordable than developing a AAA fighting game, of course they could still make a new Samurai Shodown, but rpgs are popular and SS RPG is one a kind)

While it would be great for fans, that's not going to change any minds. Arc System Works went hard after the non FGC dorks with BlazBlue story modes - and did that help sales?

Fighting game developers need not pander to silly geese who don't "get" fighting games. Let them keep playing Final Fantasy.

These are Capcom tier carriage before horse ideas you're coming up with here, e.g. Darkstalkers Resurrection. Granted, that was for the best - because I don't want modern Capcom destroying another franchise I loved.
    Things I draw, some times fighting game related:
    Instagram and DeviantArt
    It's understandable. but you know now with Garou MOTW port confirmed, all the more reason for SS fans to request SNK on twitter and facebook for Samurai Shodown Anthology on PS4. yes, it wouldn't have online play, but having 6 games is better than one Samurai Shodown classic (that not everyone would agree upon). and let's be honest, everyone would be busy playing KOFXIV for their online fighting fix and waiting for a new 3D Samurai Shodown.

Samurai Shodown II hardly got online activity on xbox360. and I feel playing these games single player, is better than deal with the rare or absent community for Samurai Shodown online, for a game fans will probably mostly play single player anyways. We seen how even with GGPO Darkstalkers Resurrection was not even played online much. even Arcana Heart 3 had a longer online community active.

with retro SNK fighters, it seems interest online drops the same week they launch. So I feel Samurai Shodown Anthology would be more valuable than a single Samurai Shodown with online play. I never really cared for the Last Blade series, so not sure how LB2 is doing online, but I would guess Metal Slug Anthology is getting a lot more hours played due to the sheer amount of games it includes.

a lot of people missed SSA back then during the ps2 days, it kind of flew under the radar, it would be very valuable on PS4, more so than a new SS port with online added (especially if its one of the lesser liked SSs, like SSIV, SSV or SSVI. I think SSIV is overrated, and SSV is censored. I prefer SSIII or SSII, but even then, all six is waaaay better than just one or two of those. )
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 454
    Are there any discrepancies with the SSA ps2/wii compared to the arcade?
    How bout also releasing the SNK volume classics?
    7 5 0 wrote: »

sounds like they are arcade perfect enough to be worthy ports

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943395-samurai-shodown-anthology/53726760

and here's a review

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/943395-samurai-shodown-anthology/reviews/141340

another review

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/943395-samurai-shodown-anthology/reviews/140189
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 454
    Thx the classics are the best. It would be wise of sony to include ps2 hardware BC compatibility on the upcoming ps4 neo. Knowing them, they are a bunch of greedy fools.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,747
    @Pencilero @petran79

Y'all must be trippin'

Thx the classics are the best. It would be wise of sony to include ps2 hardware BC compatibility on the upcoming ps4 neo. Knowing them, they are a bunch of greedy fools.

well I think direct porting Samurai Shodown Anthology to PS4 PSN allows them to add at least trophies. I think Metal Slug Anthology has trophies. yea actually it does for all 6 games. more incentive for people to get the new version of the Anthology on PS4, and it would be much easier to find, and infinite supply available instead online shopping for a used copy somewhere (plus trophies!)
  • PencileroPencilero Joined: Posts: 162
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    @Pencilero @petran79

Y'all must be trippin'

No worries.

Thanks for linking this. I couldn't find the damned thing, only SNES rips and I'll be damned if I post a dirty home version of glorious coin-op tunes. :P
    Things I draw, some times fighting game related:
    Instagram and DeviantArt
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    I just mentioned Sen because they added some animated effects with traditional Japanese paintings in the character select screen. That would have been fit with the change in artwork. but they stopped there
    too slow!
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is the LB 2 netcode any good?
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

AFAI remeber, the ps2 port had loading times between character select screen and fights from SamSho3 onwards. IDK if those were NeoCD ports or what. Never played the one on Wii.
    Lantis wrote: »
    Is the LB 2 netcode any good?

I second this question, Im specially interested on the portable versions of LB2 and the upcoming Garou.

• HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,800
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 438
    ^Hey look, it's @Virtua_Leon's favorite game!
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I told you people bust genjuro was good, he should have won that first encounter with shizumaru when he fucked up the back turn combo
    But really, bust genjuro is good, and told you that throws where bad how many non command grab throws did you see?

The game is so fucked up, i mean amakusa is so fucking retarded, literally the worst chracter in any fighting game ever down D that's it who fucking wants to play that? a chracter so poorly designed that you can win pressing one button.

mind boggling! but shit i dont care, this game is like my ginger step child, i still love it
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I have a special nick too for SS3. IDK bit what I hate the MOST is the "transparent" random hurtboxes.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    post launch KOFXIV should motivate SNK to get samurai shodown anthology on PS4. they didn't give Nakoruru a push for nothing, ya know? it would be the next step towards hyping a new SS
    this is so facepalm it's not even funny

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/neo-geo-titles-including-fatal-fury-samurai-shodown-coming-ps4-arcade-archives

this is going to conflict with Samurai Shodown Anthology port. a lot of people would be upset purchasing SS1, knowing that SS1 is in Anthology anyway,

and everyone else is going to hold off for Anthology anyways, so simply bringing SS1 arcade to PS4 is just plain cheap when MetalSlug got its Anthology version on PS4 instead of Metal Slug 1 separately, you know?

fans should really twitter SNK for SS Anthology port, it's a waaaay better deal with 6 Samurai Shodown games.
  • CubitsCubits Australian Stick Maker Joined: Posts: 75
    Just picked up a NOS copy of the anthology for my Wii, but would buy again for the ps4 if it had netplay.

Do they do that for these releases, or is it just a straight port?
  • muchachokachomuchachokacho Joined: Posts: 26
    Hey everybody. I'd like to get into Samsho5 to play it on fightcade but the SRK Wiki has very little information on individual character tech. Any good places I can go? I want to learn Sogetsu (mainly), Kyoshiro and Charlotte.
    Games: MKX (Kitana, Shinnok, Reptile), SFV (Sim, Karin), SFIV (Sim, Bison), Tekken 5 (Julia, Anna, Paul)

• keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,968
    Hey everybody. I'd like to get into Samsho5 to play it on fightcade but the SRK Wiki has very little information on individual character tech. Any good places I can go? I want to learn Sogetsu (mainly), Kyoshiro and Charlotte.
    http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Samurai_Shodown_V_Special
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    Been playing Samsho5 for the last couple of days and really enjoying it even though there's still a lot of things about the game's mechanics I don't understand. I'd like to learn the game more but I don't want to spam this thread with beginner questions. If anyone would like to "tutor" me shoot me a PM.
    Games: MKX (Kitana, Shinnok, Reptile), SFV (Sim, Karin), SFIV (Sim, Bison), Tekken 5 (Julia, Anna, Paul)

• StoneDrumStoneDrum Joined: Posts: 1,096
    does anyone play ss4? all the other ss games feel so off to me
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 670
    I don't know. I get about the same amount of enjoyment out of II and IV, but every other entry feels cumbersome to play or really off in the balancing department.
  • BossBrownBossBrown Joined: Posts: 78
    Samurai Shodown is about sick ass ninja samurais going at it with badder man style techniques. You would have to be on crack to play one for balance lol. I can jam on it every now and again but the balance is wack not the worse by any means but not great. I prefer BAT2 for all my samurai needs there is the odd damage issue here and there but generally playing it, setting health to max the balance is pretty good
    edited November 2016
    Battle Arena Toshinden 2? That silly ass proof of concept? It doesn't hold a candle to even Virtua Fighter 1. No, if we are talking samurai, there is no choice finer than Kengo II. Besides, ninjas are as fake as a Las Vegas stripper's tits. Mofos prominently used guns, wore normal clothing, and even the most famous one (Hattori Hanzō) is known for using a fucking spear.
  • BossBrownBossBrown Joined: Posts: 78
    Dont know what your talking about mate BAT2 eats VF and Kengos for breakfast. Why you so mad at ninjas bro? is it cause they merk samurais on a regular basis? is your dad a samurai? why samurais so salty?
    The ninjas you know of are a caricature of mercenaries and assassins in feudal Japan. Don't forget to enjoy your own poison.
    affinity wrote: »
    this is so facepalm it's not even funny

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/neo-geo-titles-including-fatal-fury-samurai-shodown-coming-ps4-arcade-archives

this is going to conflict with Samurai Shodown Anthology port. a lot of people would be upset purchasing SS1, knowing that SS1 is in Anthology anyway,

and everyone else is going to hold off for Anthology anyways, so simply bringing SS1 arcade to PS4 is just plain cheap when MetalSlug got its Anthology version on PS4 instead of Metal Slug 1 separately, you know?

fans should really twitter SNK for SS Anthology port, it's a waaaay better deal with 6 Samurai Shodown games.

Hope they can unlock "Uh Mock Suh" Shiro Tokisada in SS1. SNK intended for him to be playable because he has a full playable move set in arcade emulation...

Battle Arena Toshinden 2? That silly ass proof of concept? It doesn't hold a candle to even Virtua Fighter 1. No, if we are talking samurai, there is no choice finer than Kengo II. Besides, ninjas are as fake as a Las Vegas stripper's tits. Mofos prominently used guns, wore normal clothing, and even the most famous one (Hattori Hanzō) is known for using a fucking spear.

Wrong Hanzo...
    WHAT THE **** http://gematsu.com/2016/11/samurai-shodown-vi-ps4-launches-november-22

are they insane? Anthology would make more sales. They released Metal Slug's, why are they selling these games separately? that's just plain cheap. and on top of that they plan to release MOTW. people aren't gonna buy these games compared to an anthology edition. plus while SSVI has great graphics, it has no blood nor gore, they might as well sell SSII or SSIII. I mean really, SSA would give more people incentive to get anything Samurai Shodown.

maybe its a test and they wanna see how many buy it so they can release SSA later, but at the sametime, these kind of individual launches are going to reduce incentive for SNK to actually release SSA on PS4. or vice versa, the consumers will feel cheated buying these games separately, then again if SSA shows up.
    edited November 2016
    Nothing better to do? Feel like watching shitty newb play? Maybe watch this fightcade replay and give some advice on my week 2 Sougetsu?
    fightcade://challenge-4583-1479727712.16@samsh5sp

Help appreciated.

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,106 mod
    Gonna be adding SSVI to our rotation of old games at our friday weeklies.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    why ss6 of all games ._.
    edited November 2016
    StoneDrum wrote: »
    why ss6 of all games ._.
    Because of the re-release on PS4. A lot of guys seem curious about it and some are actually going to pick it up.

I mean, fuck, we actually run SvC at our weeklies too.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    d3v wrote: »
    why ss6 of all games ._.
    Because of the re-release on PS4. A lot of guys seem curious about it and some are actually going to pick it up.

i mean why are they releasing ss6 lol. but wow svc :o
    d3v wrote: »
    why ss6 of all games ._.

i mean why are they releasing ss6 lol. but wow svc :o

they have no common sense, which some thought they did when they brought Metal Slug Anthology to PS4, but SSVI??
    even Xbox360 received a better SS (SSII). SSVI has roster and graphics, but the lack of blood and gore replaced with upbeat festival atmosphere removes a part of its essence.
    SSA already includes VI, selling it separately would only have meaning if they are serious about bringing SSA to PS4
    but you know heard they are selling Metal Slug 1 separately on PS4. if they are gonna remilk these games, at least start with their Anthology edition like Metal Slug did
  • codykcodyk 2,6 P+K+G Joined: Posts: 227
    Complaints about the pricing aside, how does ss6 on ps4 run? Lag?
    lag? it doesnt seem like it has online vs. does it?
    Only problem we've noticed so far is how it needs the touchpad button in instead of start/options, making it suck with certain sticks.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    No one willing to help me out with some tutoring?

edited November 2016
    i don't play ss5.... i dunno, the SS series maybe just isn't for me but i want to like it. anyone know anything about ss3? i know popular consensus is it is a bad game, but is it truly? and why?
    :s well that's depressing. it looks so much better than the other SS games overall. But I guess not worth playing when there's 2, 4 or 5s
    edited November 2016
    Ah screw it I'll post my newb questions here then.

Most fucking importantly, why is my success rate with throws about 6%? I know there's un-throwable states like, down+D, Rolling, Jumping, but even when my opponent is just walking backwards/blocking I always seem to get a hop instead.Meanwhile, they can run up and throw me or grab me as I land from a jump all the time. It is by far the biggest flaw and trouble with my game right now.

:s well that's depressing. it looks so much better than the other SS games overall. But I guess not worth playing when there's 2, 4 or 5s

SS3 is a masterpiece, it has the greatest atmosphere and intense feeling when its the last round and both warriors are at critical hp. at the esport level, people may criticize it, though casually, it's just as enjoyable as any other Samurai Shodown favorite.
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    If you are genuinely interested in high level ss3 play mikado have played a few really good tourneys on youtube, those guys are great they play any shitty game.

i think the most recent one had a bust gaira ( my own personal pick for best chracter in the game) win, i really wish i get the chance to play in one one day
    But yes really go check them out, there channel is great, it's a great resource for matches for less fashionable or older games

AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    so I have seen the light of this series now after more play...I guess I just needed time for it to click. Specifically, I'm having a blast with SS5S, so I made a discord to try and pool together players, so it hopefully can get more play in fightcade, in turn getting even more people in there. I know one reason why fightcade ss5s is always empty is because it is always empty! But this game seems way way way too good to have such a small player base.

Please join if you love the game:

https://discord.gg/9ngKGnS