Samurai Shodown Talk

Comments

• Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ah screw it I'll post my newb questions here then.

Most fucking importantly, why is my success rate with throws about 6%? I know there's un-throwable states like, down+D, Rolling, Jumping, but even when my opponent is just walking backwards/blocking I always seem to get a hop instead.Meanwhile, they can run up and throw me or grab me as I land from a jump all the time. It is by far the biggest flaw and trouble with my game right now.

Well for a start you say it yourself they are running up and throwing you, making sure they are within range, you gotta dash/microdash in more to make sure within throws range

from jump ins i'm assume you are talking about being thrown after an attack IE haohmaru jump AB and not empty jump ins
    It's a very common problem in ss 4 and 5 and 5sp, you're possibly not hitting your jump in attacks too early, in these games any jump in has to be done as late as possible this game engine is super shitty with regards to hitstun from jump in attacks

A good way to practice this is to pick haohmaru (there are others but my memory is bad and i know this example works)
    so pick haohmaru and do his jump in C his kick, if you to it early it grants alot zero hitstun so if you jump in with it you'll get thrown 99% of the time, now do it as late as possible (note it's actually pretty hard to do) if you do it correctly you are then given HUGE hitstun, enough to even combo, the difference is retarded

AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • genigeni Joined: Posts: 312
    Hey guys long time lurker and a fan of SS5S, if anyone wants to play sometime message me! hoping in the future I plan on running a small tourney and having a buddy stream it with commentary
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

A good way to practice this is to pick haohmaru (there are others but my memory is bad and i know this example works)
    so pick haohmaru and do his jump in C his kick, if you to it early it grants alot zero hitstun so if you jump in with it you'll get thrown 99% of the time, now do it as late as possible (note it's actually pretty hard to do) if you do it correctly you are then given HUGE hitstun, enough to even combo, the difference is retarded

Hmmmm as far as I remember, in all SamSho games, you can "cut" the landing frames/trip guard with either backdash/jump or a special. Example, do that latge jumping C and mash backdash or time and inmediate SRK. Risky but defends the throw until your opp scouts you.

• Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Hmmmm as far as I remember, in all SamSho games, you can "cut" the landing frames/trip guard with either backdash/jump or a special. Example, do that latge jumping C and mash backdash or time and inmediate SRK. Risky but defends the throw until your opp scouts you.

I thought that was only from SS4 onwards?
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,542
    edited January 6
    free samurai shodown theme (so it's true SSVI on PS4 was separated from the Anthology? that is madness, but I guess they wanna profit from each one individually. )

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/samurai-shodown-vi-theme/cid=UP0576-CUSA03787_00-UTH0000000007221

I would get SSVI for PS4, though despite the great roster..... the lack of blood, gore and finishers, and no online, as an anthology it would be a sweet deal, but standalone, I might get bored of it fast. festival or not, it is insane SNK drained the game from its special sauce that made the combat and climaxes much more gratifying. I mean its like MK without blood and gore, it's hollow without those things. it's playable, but it could easily be so much more

Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
    so decided to get Samura Shodown VI. its really something. blood and gore/finishers would have made it a 10/10 greatest Samurai Shodown to date
    I like how easy it is to do ultimates. just half circle down to forward + light slash + medium slash. really fair and makes things more strategic instead of frustrating trying to do moves. overall great action there

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,746
    Didn't remember that Mai was in Haohmaru's ending in SamSho 1. Guess she was...
    duels are more epic when jumping isnt abused a lot

• DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,339
    Wow, that puppet character in VI is cool as hell, I'll have to give that game a try.

Do any of you guys play SS2 or 5sp on Fightcade ever?
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    After their next Samurai Shodown game, SNK really should see if they can get a favorable deal with Square Enix to have a Samurai Shodown X Bushido Blade crossover game. Since Square Enix is doing nothing with the series, and Lightweight left, SNK could adopt Bushido Blade characters for a fully 3D bloody and gory and realistic feeling Samurai Shodown X Bushido Blade game.

Been playing a lot of 5 Special on Fightcade lately and it's awesome to finally be able to play against people. Love this game!

I guess there are also people playing SS6 online via Dolphin. I might have to try that out one of these days.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    edited March 27
    wooooow Hamster's ACA Samurai Shodown on PS4 is arcade perfect!! it includes Samurai Spirits besides the english version! and can have it full screen/wide besides 4:3.

the blood and cutting people in half sure makes a world of a difference. and the soundtrack is more outstanding than I recall.

despite the smaller roster, I find the gameplay more gratifying than SSVI. it just isn't authentic Samurai Shodown without the blood and slicing people in two.
    those developers that directed SSVI sure were spongeheads when they decided to nix the blood and gore.

for ACA SS, not sure which filter is better. the raw sprites can be overly pixelated, but colors are vibrant and sharp. the smoothing filters do make things smoother, but it kind of dims the brightness, and kinda blurred a little.

what a masterpiece, all these years, haven't considered SS1 to be even more entertaining than SSVI, SSVI would have been perfected with blood and gore. they could have went all SSVSE uncensored with it, but they just had to sellout to some dumb festival tone. they could have made it a bloody gory festival, and the fans would appreciate it and they would've profitted more from it.
    Of course! SS without blood/gore is like MK without blood/gore. of course SS is not as over the top with ultra violence like MK, until the uncut version of SSVSE, but still, its a part of Samurai Shodown's genuine brutal, mature and killing nature. even look at all the quotes that are said at least in the classics, Samurai Shodown characters are true warriors and every duel is a fight to the death (though you can choose to beat them nonlethally, SS is not an advocate of mercy at all.)

KOF and Fatal Fury are childish care bears games compared to Samurai Shodown franchise

• C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 736
    The History Of Samurai Shodown, new interview with 3 former team members

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown

JM: So why’s “Shodown” spelled funny?

YA: This was suggested to us by SNK’s U.S. distributor. They said that “Spirits” [from the Japanese title Samurai Spirits]
    doesn’t really tell the consumer what the game is about, so they suggested replacing it with the word “Showdown.” And the movie Shogun was popular at the time so they suggested the spelling of “Shodown” as a reference to Shogun.

edited April 11
    So Engines is not involved with a new Samurai Shodown and not in talks with SNK about their new game they wanna make.
    Adachi says four games in particular inspired him when developing Samurai Shodown:

Street Fighter 2, “because of the system’s collision handling”
    Mortal Kombat, “because of the moody setting in a serious battle”
    KLAX: “I liked the effects and impact from blows”
    Dragon Spirit, “the inspiration for the [Japanese] title Samurai Spirits”
    We wanted to illustrate the TERROR of fighting weapon-to-weapon, the impact of fighting with a sword in the game. That’s why the damage of being cut by Haohmaru’s sword is significant in the game. The player loses over half of their life gauge when successfully cut by a sword. There was a lot of internal criticism about deducting so much life gauge with one attack. SNK management said this design had to be changed, but I thought it was very interesting to have players fight under the risk and fear of fighting with weapons and feel the destructive force of the sword, so I ignored them and kept it in the game.

yea see, SS shouldn't be pillow fisted like SF/KOF games. SS is a more hard hitting fighting series
    Right, but it probably wouldn’t pass in today’s industry. As you know, today’s game developers create the game, but then there’s a QA division that tweaks that game based on market research and focus groups. The dev teams today have to take the market research into consideration when finalizing the game. We can’t make a game today that is so inconsistent and unbalanced in the distribution of damage. Basically, it was a controversial design decision that probably wouldn’t happen today.

ah, they could still make an authentic brutal bloody gory SS without QA messing things.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown
    For example, if we take the sounds for damage effects, one character was assigned 10 different sounds when they were hit. When we were making the first Samurai Shodown, our focus was on how to make the effects sound the most realistic. Games up to that point were limited to only a few obvious sounds, like “arggh” or “gwaaa.” We were able to add more subtle effects, like heavy sighs or breathing between attacks. We programmed for these sounds to play randomly during matches, which made the games feel a lot more realistic. For attack effects, as well, we were able to add multiple, consecutive sounds during sequenced attacks which made the battle more realistic.

see another example Samurai Shodown is intended to align itself with more realisms.
    YA: As a business, video game companies naturally all revolve around budgets, right? Back around the time when Samurai Shodown was released, the industry was growing exponentially and gaming was extremely profitable. So developers and the creative side of the business were creating games with no consideration to the amount of money it was costing the company to make the games. There was no budget or deadline on our projects up until about Samurai Shodown 4. This applied to all SNK titles, not just Samurai Shodown. That probably had the biggest effect on the series from a development standpoint.

epic videos!! some really great duels and brutal finishers!!

Lantis wrote: »
    People play SS for the blood and gore?

News to me....

I honestly don't even notice there's no blood or gore in SS6. It cracks me up that people get that uppity about it.

SS6 is a game I'd like to mess with more but the lack of any real decent way to play it online is a bit of a deal breaker. It looks like it could be the definitive SS game if there were some way for people to play it while not sitting in the same room. I know there's a version of PCSX2 with online that you can sort of play SS6 on but I've heard it's not too good.
    edited May 9
    wat. Samurai Shodown without blood and gore is like MK without blood and gore, sure Samurai Shodown wasn't so graphic with the gore part, but cutting people in half is a part of its standards since the very first game, and goes along with the creators aim to make the series about the terror of weapons fighting.

and there is no essence to Samurai Shodown without the blood and gore that made it whole.
    its so immature, childish, looney tunes and cheap without it.

the blood and especially gore made decisive slashes 1000 times more gratifying

Post edited by affinity on
  • CrimsonMoonMistCrimsonMoonMist Joined: Posts: 480
    edited May 9
    There's a balance to it, I feel. It's one thing having a decisive blow cut a character clean in half or have them collapse from blood gushing out of a puncture wound
    and another to have Rasetsumaru rip someone's heart out and drink its contents or Suija crush someone to death and bathe in their blood. There's a certain faithful Jidaigeki-ish class to the former while the latter just feels too cartoony and like Yuki didn't get the style down quite right by overcompensating after the visually vibrant OG V with V SP.
    edited May 10
    affinity wrote: »
    wat. Samurai Shodown without blood and gore is like MK without blood and gore, sure Samurai Shodown wasn't so graphic with the gore part, but cutting people in half is a part of its standards since the very first game, and goes along with the creators aim to make the series about the terror of weapons fighting.

and there is no essence to Samurai Shodown without the blood and gore that made it whole.
    its so immature, childish, looney tunes and cheap without it.

the blood and especially gore made decisive slashes 1000 times more gratifying

How old are you? Like, what game are you playing? "There is no essence to Samurai Shodown without the blood and gore that made it whole" like are you retarded? The music? The characters? The backgrounds? The atmosphere? I don't know if you're trolling or not, but if you're not, just stop posting. You've got to be 13 or something. :coffee:
    Post edited by DoctaMario on
    DoctaMario wrote: »
    How old are you? Like, what game are you playing? "There is no essence to Samurai Shodown without the blood and gore that made it whole" like are you retarded? The music? The characters? The backgrounds? The atmosphere? I don't know if you're trolling or not, but if you're not, just stop posting. You've got to be 13 or something. :coffee:
    That's a bit harsh, but yeah, the tense atmosphere backed by the authentically replicated musical style of the era is really where it's at for me, which isn't necessarily lost when gore is removed (Samsho 64's "gory" finishes were just stylized paintings being cut through and the games still had excellent style regardless of the sluggish gameplay)

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,870
    Wasn't affinity the one that said Darkstalkers should become an all-female fighting game, and Street Fighter V should add all the 12 Dolls to their roster so it become 'perfect'? Kind of hard to take seriously...
    edited May 14
    I didn't say that. Darkstalkers roster should just be expanded upon (though its the FGC's fault there is no Darkstalkers 4, not enough bought Darkstalkers Resurrection. but meanwhile, everyone and their cat bought RE Remake remaster. the resident evil community sure is stronger than the fighting game community. Resident evil community put their money where their mouth is.)

and the 12 Dolls in SFV roster would make it worth playing(guess capcom dont want more money). there are fans of all the MK ninjas, the Dolls have a fanbase too.
    I'm thinking about trying to give playing SS6 a shot on PPSSPP using the netplay feature sometime if anyone wants to try it. Just to see if it works and is worth playing.
  • sfkingalphasfkingalpha Joined: Posts: 198
    Pretty late on this thread. But 5S uncensored was the most I had fun with.
    I know I'm drunk, and that is proof that I'm sober.
    edited May 24
    DoctaMario wrote: »

Hypocrite. how can you honor the other aspects of Samurai Shodown, without seeing how essential the blood and gore is to the series as well?

are you 13 , retarded, or both? cause someone really has to be some spineless choirboy or some violence hating politician to think blood and gore is unnecessary in Samurai Shodown.

Samurai Shodown includes sharp and lethal weapons, for crying out loud. and even the themes of Samurai Shodown nature, and the characters attitude, they know every fight is most likely going to result in kills, blood spilling and bodies possibly cut in half.

It is asinine for someone to suddenly act like Samurai Shodown doesn't need blood and gore, when it's a part of its series foundation since the very beginning and exists in I, II, III, IV, V and Sen.

So stop trolling, or stop posting, this isn't a Nintendo forum. babies should go play their hit spark only games.
    In some actual news: two Samsho games were released for PC through GOG today:
    Samsho II... and Samsho V SP! So if 'ya don't own the Neo Geo AES/MVS version, this is your chance!
    From a review on GOG "= it's the arcade port, so don't expect any console options or extra's = "

So meh. Been on fightcade for years.
    edited May 31
    From a review on GOG "= it's the arcade port, so don't expect any console options or extra's = "

So meh. Been on fightcade for years.

I just like owning the games I emulate in some sort of official sense as well.
    Understandable. I just hope these arent SNK asking themselves "I wonder if anyone still like Samsho". I'm still shocked at what Sen turned out to be lol..
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,968
    Remember owning roms is illegal unless you own a original copy.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    I own the anthology on the Wii. But I only have wiimotes to play on. You can guess how fun SamSho5s is on wiimotes..
    Well if anyone wants to join this discord, we play a lot of 5s.. and 2. https://discord.gg/ZsscaA People round the world.
    grrrrr!! they should release Samurai Shodown II/III/IV on PS4 already!!!! Enough with Metal Slug, we already got MS Anthology for that.

ACA Samurai Shodown II/III/IV should be on PS4 this month!! PS4 can be the modern definitive Samurai Shodown platform!!

• ThunderThunder Joined: Posts: 27
    So I assume the only ways to play Samurai Shodown V Special are the PS2 and Wii anthologies? Plus GOG, but I'm not huge on PC fighter play. I guess I'll just wait and see if it gets a PS4/Switch port?
  • BzChoyBzChoy Only the finest poverty shit. Joined: Posts: 438
    Thunder wrote: »
    So I assume the only ways to play Samurai Shodown V Special are the PS2 and Wii anthologies? Plus GOG, but I'm not huge on PC fighter play. I guess I'll just wait and see if it gets a PS4/Switch port?

SamSho Anthology only has vanilla SamSho5.
    My main: the most lame, cheesy, trollish character in your favorite game.

Yeah, apparently people do play Advanced V.G. 2, well Japs do. Check it out, the grandaunt or some shit of anime games: Advanced V.G. 2 - JPN Competitive Matches
    edited June 25
    GOG is the only official way to play V Special aside from the Neo Geo AES/MVS carts.
    All other ports are just OG V.
    edited June 26
    Bah! That's unfortunate. I'll sit and pray for a Switch/PS4 release, then.

In the meantime I'll get SamSho IV and Last Blade 2. Never played either series.
    Post edited by Thunder on
    what the, they send AOF2, the greatest Art of Fighting game in the series, to Xbox One, instead of PS4
    https://twitter.com/hamster_corp?lang=en

well PS4 is getting Fatal Fury 2, but considering they are adding more Fatal Fury, perhaps the next round of ACA Samurai Shodown is coming to PS4, which could be II or III, though Switch got arcade ports PS4 received, PS4 should get Samurai Shodown IV as well.

I wonder how they decide who gets what? Seems pretty random. Happy to get a Magical Drop game on PS4 (tho for some reason gFAQs has it listed as an xbone game?)
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Why not just release Fatal Fury Special? It's basically everything 2 was and more.

SNK launch decisions are weird.
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    Lantis wrote: »
    Why not just release Fatal Fury Special? It's basically everything 2 was and more.

SNK launch decisions are weird.

because ACA working on releasing SNk entire libary and trying to them in chornigical order.
    Seikuken Disciple
    LOL chronological order? first they release Samurai Shodown VI (which was directly extracted from PS2's SS Anthology), then ACA Samurai Shodown on PS4, then Samurai Shodown IV on Switch. it's ok they released arcade perfect Metal Slug games when Anthology already has six of the games, but at least they released a game that included pretty much all the games up to that point.

whereas with Samurai Shodown, they are so random and insane, and turned to bad platform decisions bringing SSIV to Switch first, as if PS4 gamers are going to buy a Switch for SSIV.
    or Art of Fighting fans on PS4 are going to buy a Xbox One (LOL) for Art of Fighting 2, even when its the greatest in the series.

bring the series to PS4 first, then go multiplatform. if SNK games sell more on Switch, thats only because Switch has nothing to play, they still have less fans than PS4's population.

we wouldnt have had this problem if they at least brought Samurai Shodown Anthology to PS2, although I'm grateful for the ACA ports, which are superior and arcade perfect, SSIV on Switch really pushed back the circumstances where Samurai Shodown fans on PS4 could have been one game closer to having at least the first 4 masterpieces in the series.
    not saying they should launch II, III, and IV on PS4 every week, but really, we couldve gotten SSIV, and SSII or III would be right around the corner, but now we have three games that are still not on PS4, and it's just insane they would pick Switch over PS4 for SSIV.

Download FightCade and play it on that. We have a group of folks who play 5sp regularly.
    affinity wrote: »
    LOL chronological order? first they release Samurai Shodown VI (which was directly extracted from PS2's SS Anthology), then ACA Samurai Shodown on PS4, then Samurai Shodown IV on Switch. it's ok they released arcade perfect Metal Slug games when Anthology already has six of the games, but at least they released a game that included pretty much all the games up to that point.

whereas with Samurai Shodown, they are so random and insane, and turned to bad platform decisions bringing SSIV to Switch first, as if PS4 gamers are going to buy a Switch for SSIV.
    or Art of Fighting fans on PS4 are going to buy a Xbox One (LOL) for Art of Fighting 2, even when its the greatest in the series.

bring the series to PS4 first, then go multiplatform. if SNK games sell more on Switch, thats only because Switch has nothing to play, they still have less fans than PS4's population.

we wouldnt have had this problem if they at least brought Samurai Shodown Anthology to PS2, although I'm grateful for the ACA ports, which are superior and arcade perfect, SSIV on Switch really pushed back the circumstances where Samurai Shodown fans on PS4 could have been one game closer to having at least the first 4 masterpieces in the series.
    not saying they should launch II, III, and IV on PS4 every week, but really, we couldve gotten SSIV, and SSII or III would be right around the corner, but now we have three games that are still not on PS4, and it's just insane they would pick Switch over PS4 for SSIV.

If SNK was really that interested in selling copies of these games, they'd release them with netcode. The fact that they don't means that ports of them are kind of pointless unless they're being used for tournaments, and who's having side-by-side SamSho tournaments nowadays?

SS4 is probably the most popular SamSho title other than 2, and it's less graphically intense than Vi so it makes sense they'd release it on the Switch, but I'm kind of surprised they chose that one instead of VI.
    edited June 30
    SSVI has roster and graphics and easier command input, but hollow without blood and cutting opponents in half. that's why ACA Samurai Shodown gets more plays than SSVI.

adding netcode would not make profit compared to the costs adding netcode.

look at X360. Samurai Shodown II had netcode, but its online community went vacant rather quick.

and look at all the PS3 neo geo games with netcode, KOF95 and 96's netcode were underrated, and they still underperformed in sales.

even without online, the Samurai Shodown games are still valuable, even in the single player, plus it has SNK difficulty levels, so the action stays interesting and challenging.

it still doesnt make much sense to bring SSIV to Switch first. the starved platform with no games may get more attention towards it, but the nintendo fanbase takes things for granted, they don't take Samurai Shodown seriously like the PS4 userbase, and nintendo controllers are junk, you can't even share record and archive gameplay videos on Switch, it's the most overpriced and overrated console this gen, and Nintendo is even too stupid on capitalizing on it being the successor of 3DS besides Wii U,
    instead, they let 3DS continue to gobble up sales and developers, leaving Switch to starve just like Wii U.
    they continue to needlessly have internal competition juggling two platforms at once, the 3DS masses arent going to jump into Switch until 3DS is cut loose and there's no nintendo platform other than Switch in the market.

Samurai Shodown IV is wasted on Switch, as is Art of Fighting 2 on Xbox One.
    REgardless of any of that other stuff, releasing a fighting game without netcode in this day and age is pointless because in order for it to have any kind of real shot at having an audience, the folks buying it need to be able to play people. As it is, fightcade or xzone are the best ways to play SamSho because there's an actual community of people who play the games. Releasing them without netcode just shows that SNKP doesn't care about fostering a community for these games, just selling ports that people will play for a week and put down because they have no way of finding competition if they don't have any friends who play.
    Samurai showdown 6 is not rip from SS Anthology. SS 6 had stand alone PS2 release befor it got added to the SS Anthology.

The SS6 on PS4 is just ps2 emulator ripp, same for Fatal fury Achrives, ADK damashi, FUUN super combo, Metal anthology ect. Its an Emulation of emulation thus not true arcade ports of say games. ALso these release was done by SNK.

ACA Neo neo are straight arcade ports of the game done by Hamster.

SSIV on switch is due to how nintendo switch is due to how nintendo switch is already had SS1-3 via virtual console wich operate independently from ACA.

As for why not doing the Anthology as whole. well again the anthology is business decision. why not sell each game if people are going to buy them. which they are. also only the wii version of SS anthology was decent. the ps2 one was terrible with glitches and fps drops. I doubt Niny going to let them get that version.

ACA has their own system to how their porting these arcade classic. and server cost money for online games. These are made for collectors and snk enthusiast first who will buy these games.
    Seikuken Disciple