Samurai Shodown Talk

1235»

Comments

• Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ah screw it I'll post my newb questions here then.

Most fucking importantly, why is my success rate with throws about 6%? I know there's un-throwable states like, down+D, Rolling, Jumping, but even when my opponent is just walking backwards/blocking I always seem to get a hop instead.Meanwhile, they can run up and throw me or grab me as I land from a jump all the time. It is by far the biggest flaw and trouble with my game right now.

Well for a start you say it yourself they are running up and throwing you, making sure they are within range, you gotta dash/microdash in more to make sure within throws range

from jump ins i'm assume you are talking about being thrown after an attack IE haohmaru jump AB and not empty jump ins
    It's a very common problem in ss 4 and 5 and 5sp, you're possibly not hitting your jump in attacks too early, in these games any jump in has to be done as late as possible this game engine is super shitty with regards to hitstun from jump in attacks

A good way to practice this is to pick haohmaru (there are others but my memory is bad and i know this example works)
    so pick haohmaru and do his jump in C his kick, if you to it early it grants alot zero hitstun so if you jump in with it you'll get thrown 99% of the time, now do it as late as possible (note it's actually pretty hard to do) if you do it correctly you are then given HUGE hitstun, enough to even combo, the difference is retarded

AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • genigeni Joined: Posts: 275
    Hey guys long time lurker and a fan of SS5S, if anyone wants to play sometime message me! hoping in the future I plan on running a small tourney and having a buddy stream it with commentary
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

A good way to practice this is to pick haohmaru (there are others but my memory is bad and i know this example works)
    so pick haohmaru and do his jump in C his kick, if you to it early it grants alot zero hitstun so if you jump in with it you'll get thrown 99% of the time, now do it as late as possible (note it's actually pretty hard to do) if you do it correctly you are then given HUGE hitstun, enough to even combo, the difference is retarded

Hmmmm as far as I remember, in all SamSho games, you can "cut" the landing frames/trip guard with either backdash/jump or a special. Example, do that latge jumping C and mash backdash or time and inmediate SRK. Risky but defends the throw until your opp scouts you.

• Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Hmmmm as far as I remember, in all SamSho games, you can "cut" the landing frames/trip guard with either backdash/jump or a special. Example, do that latge jumping C and mash backdash or time and inmediate SRK. Risky but defends the throw until your opp scouts you.

I thought that was only from SS4 onwards?
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,215
    edited January 6
    free samurai shodown theme (so it's true SSVI on PS4 was separated from the Anthology? that is madness, but I guess they wanna profit from each one individually. )

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/samurai-shodown-vi-theme/cid=UP0576-CUSA03787_00-UTH0000000007221

I would get SSVI for PS4, though despite the great roster..... the lack of blood, gore and finishers, and no online, as an anthology it would be a sweet deal, but standalone, I might get bored of it fast. festival or not, it is insane SNK drained the game from its special sauce that made the combat and climaxes much more gratifying. I mean its like MK without blood and gore, it's hollow without those things. it's playable, but it could easily be so much more

FIGHTING VIPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so decided to get Samura Shodown VI. its really something. blood and gore/finishers would have made it a 10/10 greatest Samurai Shodown to date
    I like how easy it is to do ultimates. just half circle down to forward + light slash + medium slash. really fair and makes things more strategic instead of frustrating trying to do moves. overall great action there

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,292
    Didn't remember that Mai was in Haohmaru's ending in SamSho 1. Guess she was...
    duels are more epic when jumping isnt abused a lot

• DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,252
    Wow, that puppet character in VI is cool as hell, I'll have to give that game a try.

Do any of you guys play SS2 or 5sp on Fightcade ever?
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    After their next Samurai Shodown game, SNK really should see if they can get a favorable deal with Square Enix to have a Samurai Shodown X Bushido Blade crossover game. Since Square Enix is doing nothing with the series, and Lightweight left, SNK could adopt Bushido Blade characters for a fully 3D bloody and gory and realistic feeling Samurai Shodown X Bushido Blade game.

• DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,252
    Been playing a lot of 5 Special on Fightcade lately and it's awesome to finally be able to play against people. Love this game!

I guess there are also people playing SS6 online via Dolphin. I might have to try that out one of these days.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    edited March 27
    wooooow Hamster's ACA Samurai Shodown on PS4 is arcade perfect!! it includes Samurai Spirits besides the english version! and can have it full screen/wide besides 4:3.

the blood and cutting people in half sure makes a world of a difference. and the soundtrack is more outstanding than I recall.

despite the smaller roster, I find the gameplay more gratifying than SSVI. it just isn't authentic Samurai Shodown without the blood and slicing people in two.
    those developers that directed SSVI sure were spongeheads when they decided to nix the blood and gore.

for ACA SS, not sure which filter is better. the raw sprites can be overly pixelated, but colors are vibrant and sharp. the smoothing filters do make things smoother, but it kind of dims the brightness, and kinda blurred a little.

what a masterpiece, all these years, haven't considered SS1 to be even more entertaining than SSVI, SSVI would have been perfected with blood and gore. they could have went all SSVSE uncensored with it, but they just had to sellout to some dumb festival tone. they could have made it a bloody gory festival, and the fans would appreciate it and they would've profitted more from it.
    Of course! SS without blood/gore is like MK without blood/gore. of course SS is not as over the top with ultra violence like MK, until the uncut version of SSVSE, but still, its a part of Samurai Shodown's genuine brutal, mature and killing nature. even look at all the quotes that are said at least in the classics, Samurai Shodown characters are true warriors and every duel is a fight to the death (though you can choose to beat them nonlethally, SS is not an advocate of mercy at all.)

KOF and Fatal Fury are childish care bears games compared to Samurai Shodown franchise

• C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 725
    The History Of Samurai Shodown, new interview with 3 former team members

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown

JM: So why’s “Shodown” spelled funny?

YA: This was suggested to us by SNK’s U.S. distributor. They said that “Spirits” [from the Japanese title Samurai Spirits]
    doesn’t really tell the consumer what the game is about, so they suggested replacing it with the word “Showdown.” And the movie Shogun was popular at the time so they suggested the spelling of “Shodown” as a reference to Shogun.

edited April 11
    So Engines is not involved with a new Samurai Shodown and not in talks with SNK about their new game they wanna make.
    Adachi says four games in particular inspired him when developing Samurai Shodown:

Street Fighter 2, “because of the system’s collision handling”
    Mortal Kombat, “because of the moody setting in a serious battle”
    KLAX: “I liked the effects and impact from blows”
    Dragon Spirit, “the inspiration for the [Japanese] title Samurai Spirits”
    We wanted to illustrate the TERROR of fighting weapon-to-weapon, the impact of fighting with a sword in the game. That’s why the damage of being cut by Haohmaru’s sword is significant in the game. The player loses over half of their life gauge when successfully cut by a sword. There was a lot of internal criticism about deducting so much life gauge with one attack. SNK management said this design had to be changed, but I thought it was very interesting to have players fight under the risk and fear of fighting with weapons and feel the destructive force of the sword, so I ignored them and kept it in the game.

yea see, SS shouldn't be pillow fisted like SF/KOF games. SS is a more hard hitting fighting series
    Right, but it probably wouldn’t pass in today’s industry. As you know, today’s game developers create the game, but then there’s a QA division that tweaks that game based on market research and focus groups. The dev teams today have to take the market research into consideration when finalizing the game. We can’t make a game today that is so inconsistent and unbalanced in the distribution of damage. Basically, it was a controversial design decision that probably wouldn’t happen today.

ah, they could still make an authentic brutal bloody gory SS without QA messing things.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown
    For example, if we take the sounds for damage effects, one character was assigned 10 different sounds when they were hit. When we were making the first Samurai Shodown, our focus was on how to make the effects sound the most realistic. Games up to that point were limited to only a few obvious sounds, like “arggh” or “gwaaa.” We were able to add more subtle effects, like heavy sighs or breathing between attacks. We programmed for these sounds to play randomly during matches, which made the games feel a lot more realistic. For attack effects, as well, we were able to add multiple, consecutive sounds during sequenced attacks which made the battle more realistic.

see another example Samurai Shodown is intended to align itself with more realisms.
    YA: As a business, video game companies naturally all revolve around budgets, right? Back around the time when Samurai Shodown was released, the industry was growing exponentially and gaming was extremely profitable. So developers and the creative side of the business were creating games with no consideration to the amount of money it was costing the company to make the games. There was no budget or deadline on our projects up until about Samurai Shodown 4. This applied to all SNK titles, not just Samurai Shodown. That probably had the biggest effect on the series from a development standpoint.

epic videos!! some really great duels and brutal finishers!!

1235»