Samurai Shodown Talk

12346»

Comments

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,462
    yea it doesnt need online to be great games to play, even back then, I played the arcade games mostly solo. of course pvp the combat shines more, but these games CPU is so badass, they can be even more formidable and knowledgeable than casual players.

anyways, here's another example of Hamsters absurd picks. PS4 gets Fatal Fury 2, but Switch gets Fatal Fury Special?!?!!??!!?

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/07/fatal-fury-special-headed-nintendo-switch-next-week/

that is so messed up, everyone knows FFS is better than FF2 in practically every way. its like the SSF2T of Fatal Fury, with everyone from FF2 including bosses and legendary characters added.

so what and when is the next PS4 ACA Samurai Shodown game???? whether it's II or III I'd get it, maybe V too, well of course, but yea SSIII would be so flipping awesome, and if they add IV that would be awesome too. Switch got SSIV, so should PS4.

like they are going ham with the Metal Slug ports, Samurai Shodown II/III/IV should get a turn on PS4
    Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • sfkingalphasfkingalpha Joined: Posts: 198
    Not that I have a PS4, but:
    I know I'm drunk, and that is proof that I'm sober.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,073
    Terrible teaser. Also hopefully they don't give this to those dotemu hacks and do a proper port instead.
    edited July 13
    original SS1 coming to Switch http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/13/samurai-shodown-headed-nintendo-switch-next-week/
    Not that I have a PS4, but:

GENIUS TRAILER! OH MY WAFFLES!! SSV Special UNCENSORED ON PS4?!?!?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! xD

Thank you!! So HYPED!! this is incredible!! GOTY!! Epic!! Wooooosh!!

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/samurai-shodown-v-special-announced-ps4-ps-vita

AND IT HAS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!! instant 11 out of 10 score!!
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 450
    This might sound weird, I want to buy the game on PS4 but also buy it on vita without cross buy to support SNK further for future classic releases.
    7 5 0 wrote: »
    This might sound weird, I want to buy the game on PS4 but also buy it on vita without cross buy to support SNK further for future classic releases.

that's not weird. I'm grateful after three Onechanbara games that weren't localized, XSEED brought the greatest one of the Z series, Z2 Chaos, to the west, I bought both the 1st print physical and digital versions as support.

if only the mainstream people were grateful like you, Samurai Shodown could prosper as a greater expanded, better cared for, more frequent quality sequels, and higher quality franchise.

https://www.destructoid.com/samurai-shodown-v-special-trailer-is-a-bloodbath-448849.phtml

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown

• DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,320
    affinity wrote: »
    yea it doesnt need online to be great games to play, even back then, I played the arcade games mostly solo. of course pvp the combat shines more, but these games CPU is so badass, they can be even more formidable and knowledgeable than casual players.

Yeah but once you learn the AI's stupid tricks, there's no way to grow past that. Playing other players is the whole point of fighting games and if there's no way to do that, then it cuts down on the life of your game.

That said, I'm glad it's finally getting legit releases. They should have included this in the SS Anthology, and I'm sure they could have had they cut some corners on things like music quality.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    edited July 18
    Yeah but once you learn the AI's stupid tricks, there's no way to grow past that.

SNK a.i. in high difficulty are always a challenge to most people. so that doesn't get old to single players.
    the competitive seen has too easy opponents and too hard opponents, so I'd say some would rather have beatable opponents,
    than unbeatable opponents, and most can't stand losing to a player.
    Playing other players is the whole point of fighting games

not entirely, otherwise these games wouldn't have a.i., and the fighting game sales would only be 1/4 of what they are making

due to people that know they will play the game mostly or entirely solo. even back then when SF first appeared on consoles, I'd say over 90% of the owners only played it on their Genesis or SNES alone against CPU, and those games lasted years, and it wasn't until generations later when consoles started to have online play for the genre, and fighting games online on consoles didn't become standard and mainstream until the PS3/Xbox360 generation.
    That said, I'm glad it's finally getting legit releases. They should have included this in the SS Anthology, and I'm sure they could have had they cut some corners on things like music quality.

either way SS Anthology wouldn't do it justice. PS2 limitations, and especially the load times that would dumb it down from streamlined arcade standards. I'm so glad the ACA version of Samurai Shodown came to PS4 if it was the SSA version wouldn't be as authentic and smooth. and Hamster added cool things like adjustable widescreen and filters

now look at the SSA version of SS1, so limited, fuzzy, low resolution, some slowdown, just stuffed in there, and SSA games generally have loadtimes that really hiccup the whole experience. plus the portable owners got really bad version. and there's no online (even mediocre netcode is better than no online, especially these days)
    http://www.fightersgeneration.com/games/ss-anthology.html

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/04/15/samurai-shodown-anthology-review

yes, at first, before this, I felt they should of brought SS Anthology, since that's better than nothing, and has most of the games.
    but I'm glad the things turned out, no SSV on PS4 and the months of no new SS ports,
    is gonna make SSV Special on PS4 even more amazing.

SSV Special can be the most polished and definitive Samurai Shodown game to a lot of fans. and that's worth more than the first 5 SSs combined!!

and like you said, fighting games are about playing with other players, so with online, that makes SSV Special even more important than a SS Anthology port, though if they later added that, I would get that too. but quality and features do enhance a port, and
    SSV Special has the best chance to earn a larger fanbase for the series (of course a new AAA game would do wonders too, though SSV Special is gonna be more affordable and authentic, and chances are modern SNK is probably too squeamish to make a modern Samurai Shodown as epic, graphic and violent like the true SSV Special. So if a new SS is not up to SSV Special standards, fans will probably just play SSV Special as their primary fighting game.)

Post edited by affinity on
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 450
    Is the Wii version SS Anthology without load times?

Any news on SS2, SS3, and SS4 releasing on PS4.
    The Switch version of SS4 is oddly released.
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    7 5 0 wrote: »
    Is the Wii version SS Anthology without load times?

Any news on SS2, SS3, and SS4 releasing on PS4.
    The Switch version of SS4 is oddly released.

Yup. No loadtimes at all.
    edited July 19
    This would have been a great time to release Samsho 5 Special: Final/Perfect Edition.

It had a location test and never released..

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?103557-SSVS-Final-Version-Loke-test
    edited July 19
    This would have been a great time to release Samsho 5 Special: Final/Perfect Edition.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?103557-SSVS-Final-Version-Loke-test

but then it would be 2004 old news. the perfect time for SSV Special uncensored perfect edition would be now, how Code Mystics is bringing it to the most relevant platform (PS4), and Vita fanbase get to join SSV Special glory too in 2017. Gaming wasn't as hyped and demanded back in 2004 compared to 2017 when SNK is making a comeback and people don't need some AES/MVS to play these official games, and with the SS fanbase starving for more ports, there can be higher appreciation for uncensored and online supported SSVSpecial this generation.
    edited July 19
    I only linked the thread for the screenshots. I didn't mean 2004 as the perfect time. I meant NOW 2017, just like you said, as the perfect time.
    Post edited by sfkingalpha on
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,320
    edited July 20
    Yeah but once you learn the AI's stupid tricks, there's no way to grow past that.

SNK a.i. in high difficulty are always a challenge to most people. so that doesn't get old to single players.
    the competitive seen has too easy opponents and too hard opponents, so I'd say some would rather have beatable opponents,

not entirely, otherwise these games wouldn't have a.i., and the fighting game sales would only be 1/4 of what they are making

due to people that know they will play the game mostly or entirely solo. even back then when SF first appeared on consoles, I'd say over 90% of the owners only played it on their Genesis or SNES alone against CPU, and those games lasted years, and it wasn't until generations later when consoles started to have online play for the genre, and fighting games online on consoles didn't become standard and mainstream until the PS3/Xbox360 generation.

Most people who play fighting games want to play other people, not just the computer. The AI would be basically like playing the same person without having any variation. You're a bit of an outlier if you're happy playing the AI and only the AI, and that's fine, but that isn't going to sell the game to the majority of fighting game fans who want to play other people and don't have anyone in their vicinity who plays the game. It's not the SNES/Genesis days anymore, we have options now. Back then we didn't. But now that we do, there's no excuse for SNK to be releasing games with no netcode, and I, for one, would love to have a huge base of people to play SSS5sp against, so I have a vested personal interest in SNK releasing a port of what is probably the best SamSho game with decent netcode.

As it is, we have a handful of people who play SS5sp on Fightcade/xzone, and that's from all over the world. We wouldn't have been able to get our little community started without the ability to play online. That's how communities are fostered and how a game gains an audience. It would be incredibly shortsighted of SNK to put out a bunch of games with no online, but thankfully they seem to understand this, at least for the purpose of these ports.

SS4 is a fun piece of shit of a game. It's good to see it getting some love too.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    DoctaMario wrote: »

Most people who play fighting games want to play other people, not just the computer. The AI would be basically like playing the same person without having any variation. You're a bit of an outlier if you're happy playing the AI and only the AI, and that's fine, but that isn't going to sell the game to the majority of fighting game fans who want to play other people and don't have anyone in their vicinity who plays the game. It's not the SNES/Genesis days anymore, we have options now. Back then we didn't. But now that we do, there's no excuse for SNK to be releasing games with no netcode, and I, for one, would love to have a huge base of people to play SSS5sp against, so I have a vested personal interest in SNK releasing a port of what is probably the best SamSho game with decent netcode.

As it is, we have a handful of people who play SS5sp on Fightcade/xzone, and that's from all over the world. We wouldn't have been able to get our little community started without the ability to play online. That's how communities are fostered and how a game gains an audience. It would be incredibly shortsighted of SNK to put out a bunch of games with no online, but thankfully they seem to understand this, at least for the purpose of these ports.

SS4 is a fun piece of shit of a game. It's good to see it getting some love too.

which makes Samurai Shodown V Special on PS4 and Vita all the more worthy of getting more hype and success since it has online play,
    now the messed up thing is that babies are going to nitpick and underrate the netcode.

even Samurai Shodown II's, KOF98, and Fatal Fury Special's netcode on X360 wasn't perfect, but still had some great matches, so great, didn't even notice the lag much or at all, it's a case by case basis. same for PS3 with M2's netcode for the KOF ports, KOF95 and 96 had noticable better netcode. and if there's input lag? so what? just adapt and enjoy it! Even if the netcode was perfect, no one's getting paid to play their best. some just take things too seriously.

netcode isn't going to beat local match smoothness for every player, that's just how it is for the genre. still, the ability to play with others worldwide, is still great, and these netcodes are sorely overrated.

ok, if someone plays with someone with incompatible connection, then just scratch them off the list, don't base the ENTIRE netcode on your incompatible experiences. find and play with compatible connections.

Look at KOFXIV, the greatest netcode the company ever established, played longer online on console than all the previous KOFs combined, and still played now and then online, but the haters don't wanna see that, they just glare at the imperfections, and expect the online to give them players, instead of forming their own PSN community or joining one, and expanding their friends list for the game.

so if there's any reason SNK games with online are empty, is because the fighting game communities own toxic viewpoints and expect the netcode to do everything for anyone of any region, ISP and router. they blame the netcode before they blame other factors, and that is unjustified.

And its sickening that it's said that SSV Special beta booth got ignored at EVO. WTF. anyone in the world can see any of the tournament vids on twitch and youtube archives, but ONLY the people that attended EVO had the priviledge to play the upcoming edition of SSV Special, and no one even cared to play it for a round or two????
    I tell ya, there's a poisonous stigma among the fighting game communities attitude towards SNK classics, and it's not funny at all. even players that been around since the 16 bit days, it's just messed up they wouldn't even be mildly interested to play that SSV Special beta.

that might of been a little demoralizing for Code Mystics, the only developer in this ENTIRE INDUSTRY that can do Samurai Shodown V Special right on PS4 and vita.

and it goes to show the fighting game mainstream have such twizzler sized interests. graphics and big names are all the rage, but the EVO crowd doesn't represent the PSN crowd as a whole, I think SSV Special could do well on PS4, but somehow they really gotta build more hype and interest towards it, more than any port.
    well some action on fightcade

not sure what date they will bring SSV Special. I barely have $17 on PSN and dont wanna spend it. I know it's gonna be like $15 or more.
    Didnt know that SSVS beta was at evo lol. I wasn't there, but still, sad.
12346»