Korean arcade parts discussion

Comments

• GingerWitchGingerWitch Joined: Posts: 17
    I'm having mounting issues with my 309 in my TES+... The PCB is in the way...

just turn the stick 90 degrees and reattach the ground(black) wire.
    it doesnt matter is it mount the same direction as the sanwa stick that was in it, just match the wire with the direction input.

i never mess with the new TES but on the old one i had to cut the some of the plastic inside the stick so it would close. if you havent done that yet.

Friend recommended that too, but when I rotate it, the 3 button is in the way. If the button layout was shifted over a half inch, it would work perfectly.
    I realized cutting plastic wouldn't help, because it can't go under the PCB, or else the plexi doesn't set.
    So, I'm cutting the mounting plate when I get home from work...
    I really don't want to, but that's my only option at this point.
    If I cut the plate and I'm still having issues, I'm buying a te2 or sone thing from Qanba...
  • AgiezeAgieze Joined: Posts: 250
    edited May 2
    Kaze lever and other korean sticks have Panasonic AM51630C69N .
    There's a big problem, the digits do not correspond to what is found in korean sticks which is levered switches, as the ref number is that of a non levered switch. Panasonic never changed their actuator type(0=pin plunger, 1=short lever, 2=hinge lever etc etc) digit system for the AM5 line since the beginning right until it was discontinued March 2015.
    So it could be a chinese fake switch, or a custom order (Seimitsu switch refs have missing numbers compared to Panasonic/Matsushita refs ) but I honestly doubt that (seimitsu doesn't make up new numbers in the refs, for example) ...or just a genuine lever-less "pin plunger" AM5 switch but mounted with third party made lever (with dimensions identical to genuine hinge lever).

AM5 : product line
    16 : amp rating
    3 : bottom COM, SPST N.O.
    0 : pin plunger , obviously wrong as we should have instead digit "2" for "hinge lever" (medium size)
    C : 0.187" quick connector
    6 : operating force 2.94N for pin plunger ( 299.8gf so let's say 300gf)
    following digits 9 (agency standard) and N (nickel free) are not important for us.
    Note that the latest Panasonic datasheets do not mention any "9" digit for agency standard but only "3".

What we should have instead of AM51630C69N is AM51632C69N or even AM51632C63N

Panasonic doesn't let you guess in the dark and gives you the OF (operating force) relative to the type of lever that comes with the switch, so digit 6 for a lever-less switch corresponds to ~ 300gf of OF but if equipped with a medium size flat lever we have 1.77N ( ~ 180.5gf ) OF.

Which one is it and why the mistake in the ref number? generally custom made switches do not have mistake but omitted ref digits or a completely different ref number (proprietary).

I mentioned chinese fakes because mistakes in ref numbers are their specialty, as they mix things up (sometimes on purpose) when imitating a ref number.

The "AM51630C69N" switch seen in korean sticks today should normally have ( with the hinge lever) 180.5gf Operating Force , 20gf Release Force, 3.2mm max pre-travel and 1.0mm movement differential ( distance to reset)

chinese made components with fake ref numbers are literally flooding ebay and other sites today so everything is possible; someone needs to check this AM51630c69N business...and why they are equipped with levers. It would be really labor intensive to buy big quantities of genuine non levered switches , open them by hand and install third party levers, just to say, so it sounds weird to me.
  • LordFuLordFu Joined: Posts: 42
    That's really interesting. I wonder if we'll get the real story on the sourcing.

I noticed the difference in pre-travel between my AM51630C69N and Gersung A2 switches immediately, and, other than how they sound, that's about the only difference between the two.

edited May 2
    LordFu wrote: »
    That's really interesting. I wonder if we'll get the real story on the sourcing.

I noticed the difference in pre-travel between my AM51630C69N and Gersung A2 switches immediately, and, other than how they sound, that's about the only difference between the two.

Gersung GSM******A2 is hinge lever type so the 200gf OF value is irrelevant (relevant only to pin plunger version) , the chart on datasheet shows the real value after reduction via lever, which is 120gf for A2 hinge lever.
    Panasonic AM51630C69N as seen in korean joysticks, medium size levered, is supposed to have 180.5 gf OF which is 1.5x the force needed to actuate the levered Gersung.

Other than different pretravel distances which are normal (3.2mm max vs 4mm max) , these two models should not feel the same in terms of Operating Force.
    Post edited by Agieze on
    edited May 2
    It's difficult to evaluate switches that only have 60gf OF by hand by pressing between fingers. If you can remove the levers, the unlevered switches should have in theory ~ 100gf difference in OF ( ~ 300gf for panasonic, ~ 200gf for gersung) which should be more noticeable
  • UltimateChocolateUltimateChocolate Joined: Posts: 36
    edited May 2
    @GingerWitch if you do get a new stick you should get this hori

i have the Soul Calibur 5 version i found on Ebay for like $70 and it fits a korean stick no problem.

also it's cheaper than to spend $200 for a new on unless you want the one in the link
    "I push buttons and do combo, vape nation.." - Abraham Lincoln, 2020
    follow me on twitter
    @GingerWitch if you do get a new stick you should get this hori

i have the Soul Calibur 5 version i found on Ebay for like $70 and it fits a korean stick no problem.

also it's cheaper than to spend $200 for a new on unless you want the one in the link

Not a bad option.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I'll post results of mounting plate cutting after work.
    I'm heavy handed, so I'm probably just not noticing the difference of 60g. Good information, thanks.
    Here's a second set of photos, showing mounting issues (for anyone still following my misadventure or for anyone in the future having the same issue.)
    309 mounting issues (pt2) https://imgur.com/gallery/lsWXI
  • DEZALBDEZALB "Yamazaki Nigari" Joined: Posts: 524

I know the original version of the Omni (runs 1& 2) compared to the following models have a modified Vewlix layout (which I sort of want to return in a new Omni). There are also differences in the bottom end between the original version, R3-5 (I believe) and the newer ones where the screws are placed. As for PCB, the older models used a Paewang Revolution PS3/360 board but all newer ones have a Brook PS3/PS4 Fighting Board. Placement of the boards are similar. There are some other small changes I can't remember at the moment.

As for custom plexi, I knew Marvelous Customs were able to help me with a custom plexi for the Omni a while back when I was using it but I eventually ended up not doing it. You can try asking.

Thanks for the info on the omni revs. I emailed MC and am waiting to hear back from them. When you were in the process of getting the plexi made what happened? You didnt want it due to pricing? Did/Do you have a template for the cp of the Omni or were you going to send your original plexi to work off?
    I just cant believe there isnt a service for custom plexi for the Omni, WTF!?

Thanks

edited May 3
    I have no energy, patience or time left in me..
    But I got that crown stick into my TES+.
    Please, don't ever try that shit.
    It's finally working. I ended up using a dremel to grind down one of the corners of the mounting plate, then had to case mod the bottom to make room for the switches. I used an attachment for said dremel to do so, and make the whole house smell of burning plastic.
    It's done though.
    Pt3/3 finished product https://imgur.com/gallery/aWcH2
    Good night

(Edit: Fixed Broken Link)
    Post edited by GingerWitch on
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    !!Sazabi!! wrote: »
    has anyone ordered from makestick recently and had issues with their order? ive literally been waiting over a month and my order still hasnt shipped. tried contacting them through email and no luck at all.

Last time I got something from them it only took a week. I have however recently ordered from Gmarket Global a couple weeks ago and I ain't heard shit. Not sure if they got processing issues or what. Even FocusAttack seems to be having trouble getting stuff from Korea from what I can tell.

Hope they don't get backlogged too badly with T7 on the way....
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro
  • fithfithfithfith Joined: Posts: 15

RaishinX wrote: »
    has anyone ordered from makestick recently and had issues with their order? ive literally been waiting over a month and my order still hasnt shipped. tried contacting them through email and no luck at all.

Last time I got something from them it only took a week. I have however recently ordered from Gmarket Global a couple weeks ago and I ain't heard shit. Not sure if they got processing issues or what. Even FocusAttack seems to be having trouble getting stuff from Korea from what I can tell.

i just ordered a stuff from makestick, hope theres no problem on my order..
  • blankaexblankaex Joined: Posts: 84
    DEZALB wrote: »

I know the original version of the Omni (runs 1& 2) compared to the following models have a modified Vewlix layout (which I sort of want to return in a new Omni). There are also differences in the bottom end between the original version, R3-5 (I believe) and the newer ones where the screws are placed. As for PCB, the older models used a Paewang Revolution PS3/360 board but all newer ones have a Brook PS3/PS4 Fighting Board. Placement of the boards are similar. There are some other small changes I can't remember at the moment.

As for custom plexi, I knew Marvelous Customs were able to help me with a custom plexi for the Omni a while back when I was using it but I eventually ended up not doing it. You can try asking.

Thanks for the info on the omni revs. I emailed MC and am waiting to hear back from them. When you were in the process of getting the plexi made what happened? You didnt want it due to pricing? Did/Do you have a template for the cp of the Omni or were you going to send your original plexi to work off?
    I just cant believe there isnt a service for custom plexi for the Omni, WTF!?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. Surprised no one offers artwork and plexi for the Omni considering how popular it is. There's even a PSD template available on the Etokki site. Please let me know how you go with getting your plexi and artwork done.
    blankaex wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Surprised no one offers artwork and plexi for the Omni considering how popular it is. There's even a PSD template available on the Etokki site. Please let me know how you go with getting your plexi and artwork done.

I actually emailed Etokki yesterday. I basically asked them if I could have permission to have a 6 button plexi made. PPl like Art and Focus Attack dont want to make one since Etokki sells plexis. Im hoping if I can get a letter of permission i can show one of them and get that started. If that doesnt work i may try to find a local shop to do it for me. If they have a minimum batch order ill probably post up and see who is interested in one.

Either way I will post up here what I end up doing

fithfith wrote: »

I ordered from them last week and had my item in hand by the end of that same week.
    (Probably not usual, but their website isn't defunct or anything. There is someone receiving and shipping the orders.)
    edited May 4
    I finally got around to picking up some longer screws so I could lower the Myoungshin lever in my Makestick enclosure. Now the top of the collar is only about 3/16" above the deck, and it's a huge difference. Maybe I'm just dumb, but if you have a Korean style lever, mount it as near to flush as you can. :)
    Post edited by LordFu on

I actually emailed Etokki yesterday. I basically asked them if I could have permission to have a 6 button plexi made. PPl like Art and Focus Attack dont want to make one since Etokki sells plexis. Im hoping if I can get a letter of permission i can show one of them and get that started. If that doesnt work i may try to find a local shop to do it for me. If they have a minimum batch order ill probably post up and see who is interested in one.

Either way I will post up here what I end up doing

I also tweeted at them about getting a 6 button plexi as well. No reply yet but we'll see what they say, if anything.

I ordered from them last week and had my item in hand by the end of that same week.
    (Probably not usual, but their website isn't defunct or anything. There is someone receiving and shipping the orders.)

its happy to see this information.. Thanks :)

do you received the EMS tracking number from makestick?

I also tweeted at them about getting a 6 button plexi as well. No reply yet but we'll see what they say, if anything.

havent heard back from Etokki yet, but marvelous customs emailed me.

"We can do a custom cut for the plexi.

Custom plexi starts at $30 (set up charge) + materials (acrylic) + laser time ($1.50/minute)

You are looking at roughly $50+tax for a black plexi."

Im going to have to see if doing afew more pcs makes a price difference if Etokki doesnt hmu soon.

Moving forward, what is the easiest way to go about getting the dimensions of the cp to them? Using the art template?

havent heard back from Etokki yet, but marvelous customs emailed me.

"We can do a custom cut for the plexi.

Custom plexi starts at $30 (set up charge) + materials (acrylic) + laser time ($1.50/minute)

You are looking at roughly $50+tax for a black plexi."

Im going to have to see if doing afew more pcs makes a price difference if Etokki doesnt hmu soon.

Moving forward, what is the easiest way to go about getting the dimensions of the cp to them? Using the art template?

Hm that's pretty pricey. I'm not sure how their systems work but I'd imagine the art template should be sufficient for them to figure something out. That price tag is a bit of a deal breaker though. I've also yet to hear back from Etokki; I have a feeling offering custom plexis for their commercial product isn't something they want to deal with.

Also, another topic:
    I've used a Crown 307 with JP mounting for a while and recently tried the KR collared Myoungshin Fanta and Crown 309 Helpme. The 309 feels so much better, very small dead zone and precise inputs, snap back to neutral is also great. The Myoungshin has a huge dead zone but it still feels better than the 307. My question is, do I like these more than the 307 because the 307 is bad or because the JP mounting affects how the lever feels?
  • STKSTK In...infinite Imagination! Joined: Posts: 322
    @blankaex

is your JP mount the one with the shorter collar or no collar. I heard the one without the collar did affect game play and that is what the new 309 helpme jp mounting changed. It has a mini collar that fixes the 307s problems.

really glad to hear you like the 309 tho. Im pretty sure its going to be my next stick once FA gets back in stock.

Also to anyone that can help i have two question please.

1) If the 309 helpme is a korean stick with a lighter grommet and seimitsu switches does that make it an Air bag lever?

2) which dust covers fit the korean sticks? seimitsu or the generic jlf covers? I need to replace mines.
    Knowledge Is My Power! My Power Is Knowledge

STK wrote: »
    @blankaex

is your JP mount the one with the shorter collar or no collar. I heard the one without the collar did affect game play and that is what the new 309 helpme jp mounting changed. It has a mini collar that fixes the 307s problems.

really glad to hear you like the 309 tho. Im pretty sure its going to be my next stick once FA gets back in stock.

Also to anyone that can help i have two question please.

1) If the 309 helpme is a korean stick with a lighter grommet and seimitsu switches does that make it an Air bag lever?

2) which dust covers fit the korean sticks? seimitsu or the generic jlf covers? I need to replace mines.

Mine was the collarless one, I don't think the 307 came with the small collar. After trying the proper collared levers I could really feel the difference so I'm glad to see that it wasn't just my imagination lol.

As for your questions, I'm not 100% but I believe Airbag levers are a specific model. Also neither Seimitsu nor Sanwa dust covers fit collared Korean levers. The non-collared ones should be about the same as the non-shaft cover Sanwa ones but I don't think they're exact. FocusAttack sells custom dustwashers that fit non-collared Crowns though.
    edited May 5
    question. which do you guy like if you had experience with: the collared 309 or jlf 309?
    because i really like the look of the collar on fightsticks.
    follow me on twitter
    edited May 5
    As for your questions, I'm not 100% but I believe Airbag levers are a specific model.

Airbag levers are modified Myoungshin levers. They swap the switches for Panasonics and add a plate to the bottom.
  • jey-arejey-are Intermediate Noob Joined: Posts: 59
    As for your questions, I'm not 100% but I believe Airbag levers are a specific model.

Airbag levers are modified Myoungshin levers. They swap the switches for Panasonics and add a plate to the bottom.

I think it depends where one got them from. I heard old school magic lab's magicstick airbag lever and IST's airbag levers weren't exactly the same.

Also, they may or may not have a lighter grommet made of silicone. I've heard of some even having actuators that were a millimeter smaller (in diameter) than stock.
    -Psn ID: JxRx420
    -Instagram: jeyrizzy
    -Usually plays Tekken. (TTT2/soon to be T7)
  • jey-arejey-are Intermediate Noob Joined: Posts: 59

Also, another topic:
    I've used a Crown 307 with JP mounting for a while and recently tried the KR collared Myoungshin Fanta and Crown 309 Helpme. The 309 feels so much better, very small dead zone and precise inputs, snap back to neutral is also great. The Myoungshin has a huge dead zone but it still feels better than the 307. My question is, do I like these more than the 307 because the 307 is bad or because the JP mounting affects how the lever feels?

Could be a little bit of both. The 307, like LordFu said earlier, was just a bad design. Due to the feedback, they tried a silicone grommet and bigger actuator, but ultimately came out with the 309 soon after. I think the jp mount versions of crown levers had negative feedback to the point where they started adding a partial collar that's still mountable on Japanese-friendly cases.

I would say another thing to take into account is the tension of the grommet. The 307 tension is way harder than the 309 versions. Some people might not favor the heavier feel at all.

Kudos to crown/samducksa though for being proactive with their feedback
    -Psn ID: JxRx420
    -Instagram: jeyrizzy
    -Usually plays Tekken. (TTT2/soon to be T7)
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @blankaex

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/106/V3plvX2eRk6w77gwaWQCRDCro1_500_c.jpg

Lol. As others have said airbag is modified myoungshin and helpme is modified crown.
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro
  • STKSTK In...infinite Imagination! Joined: Posts: 322
    edited May 5
    @blankaex

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/106/V3plvX2eRk6w77gwaWQCRDCro1_500_c.jpg

Lol. As others have said airbag is modified myoungshin and helpme is modified crown.

lol. you quoted me late. All the replies you saw where after i asked that question. but thanks.
    Knowledge Is My Power! My Power Is Knowledge

edited May 6
    Thanks for all the replies and info everyone.
    jey-are wrote: »

Also, another topic:

Could be a little bit of both. The 307, like LordFu said earlier, was just a bad design. Due to the feedback, they tried a silicone grommet and bigger actuator, but ultimately came out with the 309 soon after. I think the jp mount versions of crown levers had negative feedback to the point where they started adding a partial collar that's still mountable on Japanese-friendly cases.

I would say another thing to take into account is the tension of the grommet. The 307 tension is way harder than the 309 versions. Some people might not favor the heavier feel at all.

Kudos to crown/samducksa though for being proactive with their feedback
    The 309 I tried actually feels harder than my 307, granted the 309 is right out of the box and the 307 has been in use for like half a year. Is break-in a thing? I have the silicone one, but either way it just feels mushy and imprecise after trying the 309.

I'm also looking for the perfect lever to build myself a stick with but I'm not sure which one I want. My current favourite is the 309 Helpme, but I'm also interested in trying the Fujin, Airbag and Kaze levers. What do you guys think about these?
  • AbevAbev Joined: Posts: 8
    For anyone looking, Focus Attack just restocked some 309s and Fanta Crown kits w/ Gersung V1623A2s. Snatched up a Helpme lever while I could.
  • Elston87Elston87 Joined: Posts: 30
    Abev wrote: »
    For anyone looking, Focus Attack just restocked some 309s and Fanta Crown kits w/ Gersung V1623A2s. Snatched up a Helpme lever while I could.
    Same. I finally managed to get a black 309MJ this time around. I'm determined to make it work!

Also, I asked on Twitter, right before the store reopened, and they said "We have some units in stock, though Crown couldn't provide as many as we asked for. Will push for larger qty soon." so go-go-go get one right now if you want one shipped from the US!
    edited May 7
    @blankaex
    of course there is a form of break-in for elastomer grommets , but here the stiffness you felt (you say you felt the 309 firm and precise as opposed to the 307 being for you mushy) is due to the switches, not the grommets, as the 307 has silicone grommets in 55 shore A ( home/console version ) and 60shoreA ( pro/arcade cab version) hardness which are roughly twice as hard as the grommets found in the latest 309 (25A for 309 helpme and 35A for 309MJ) .

I highly advise korean stick owners who start out to consider getting 1 or 2 sets of different operating force switches before they disappear, don't forget the panasonic are discontinued and that there is zero info on the gersung production status. Last time I checked gersungs were like 5 bucks the set of four so if you get levered A2 stock, buy a set of A3 levered or vice-versa.
    Buying extra silicone grommets is worth it too, they're around 2 bucks piece, so if you buy a 309MJ following the recent hype and feel upset because the centering is crappy , it doesn;t cost that much to order a 35A , 55A and or a 60A extra to try out.

For approx 10bucks extra (considering the 309MJ is only 25 bucks approx) you can have an set of different switches, 2 extra grommets in increasing hardness... IMHO it costs a lot less than forking out 60 bucks for a fujin V2 with fixed feel and sensitivity .
    Heck, with different OF switches at hand you could even make your own "Kaze" style mod (stiffer switch for "up" cardinal position)
    Agieze wrote: »
    @blankaex
    of course there is a form of break-in for elastomer grommets , but here the stiffness you felt (you say you felt the 309 firm and precise as opposed to the 307 being for you mushy) is due to the switches, not the grommets, as the 307 has silicone grommets in 55 shore A ( home/console version ) and 60shoreA ( pro/arcade cab version) hardness which are roughly twice as hard as the grommets found in the latest 309 (25A for 309 helpme and 35A for 309MJ) .

I highly advise korean stick owners who start out to consider getting 1 or 2 sets of different operating force switches before they disappear, don't forget the panasonic are discontinued and that there is zero info on the gersung production status. Last time I checked gersungs were like 5 bucks the set of four so if you get levered A2 stock, buy a set of A3 levered or vice-versa.
    Buying extra silicone grommets is worth it too, they're around 2 bucks piece, so if you buy a 309MJ following the recent hype and feel upset because the centering is crappy , it doesn;t cost that much to order a 35A , 55A and or a 60A extra to try out.

For approx 10bucks extra (considering the 309MJ is only 25 bucks approx) you can have an set of different switches, 2 extra grommets in increasing hardness... IMHO it costs a lot less than forking out 60 bucks for a fujin V2 with fixed feel and sensitivity .
    Heck, with different OF switches at hand you could even make your own "Kaze" style mod (stiffer switch for "up" cardinal position)

Thanks for all of the info, I didn't think the switches were that significant of a factor. I have a few Korean levers lying around so I'll double check all of the switches on them soon. Next time I order some parts I'll also try to grab some different tensioned grommets and switches too. How compatible are the grommets? Would one for a Myoungshin Fanta fit into a Crown? The switches should be pretty universal, right?
  • rbuniaorbuniao Joined: Posts: 133
    If only the shipping didn't cost an arm and a leg I'd buy extra grommets for my other 309 setups. Ths ASI 60a latex grommet that is sold by Focus Attack would've been a good deal if there was a way to buy or find a suitable replacement for that plastic spool that is needed to use the shafts in the Crown levers.

You just made my weekend, no joke. Thanks! :)

• AbevAbev Joined: Posts: 8

You just made my weekend, no joke. Thanks! :)

Glad to help. Not meaning to sound like an FA advert, but I've come to notice practically nobody else offers what many of us are looking for in the US.

Side note, anyone know how big of a difference there is between the 35A grommet in the Helpme and the 25A in a 309MJ? Noticeable at all?
  • rbuniaorbuniao Joined: Posts: 133
    Side note, anyone know how big of a difference there is between the 35A grommet in the Helpme and the 25A in a 309MJ? Noticeable at all?

The 25a grommet feels like a stock jlf and the 35a has more usable tension. I swapped the stock 309mj grommet with the helpme grommet and used a spare 60a grommet that I have on the 309mj.

I kind wish focus attack sells the grommets from Crown so I don't have to pay $25 shipping from Makestick.
    I really, really like the 60A grommet.
    edited May 9

Thanks for all of the info, I didn't think the switches were that significant of a factor. I have a few Korean levers lying around so I'll double check all of the switches on them soon. Next time I order some parts I'll also try to grab some different tensioned grommets and switches too. How compatible are the grommets? Would one for a Myoungshin Fanta fit into a Crown? The switches should be pretty universal, right?

Grommets for 303,307&309 are all interchangeable.
    You can put a round grommet in a square grommet housing, but not vice-versa. I don't see the purpose as it may overstress the grommet , plus there are various hardness aftermarket myoungshin compatible grommets (FLF soft silicone by IST, Wazwuz' new silicone fanta grommets ... ). Someone posted about crown grommets in myoungshins on page 28.

It will be too complicated to order switches by other means than arcade parts vendors, so for the while being you should just settle with the models proposed by these stores, perhaps with time they'll propose a larger choice of models ( inevitable since many classic switches are discontinued) . Some may have been lucky with Farnell, Mouser etc, but many had problems with the out of stock status and no restocking before long periods, the large quantities to order sometimes and even the payment/shipping solutions. The other solution would be cheap electronic parts stores, but alas they often don't specialize in snap action micro switches and sometimes the few models they stock are not compatible at all with actual commercial gaming joysticks , though some may perhaps do custom orders .

Yo-O, the product designer who worked on the soon to be released Crown SDL-301 & SDL301DX, stated on Ruliweb that the silicone grommet will be much harder than 35A, because Infiltration doesn't like soft grommets and returned the 35A prototype. Samducksa(Crown) also did an online poll to know which two other translucent color tones should be chosen for SDL-301 bat tops. They promised it would be released in the first 1/4th of 2017 but Crown seems a bit late on schedule
    edited May 9
    You can put a round grommet in a square grommet housing, but not vice-versa.

I very briefly tried this, and I don't recommend it. Compressing against the housing is the basic mechanical function of the grommet. Using a grommet that wasn't the same dimension resulted in a weird, mushy feel and poor return to neutral. It might work better with different grommets than what I have, though, but I'm skeptical.

I'm looking forward to the SDL-301, even if it doesn't have a proper neck gate. These Crown models are great to scavenge parts from, even if you don't like the particular model.

@Agieze
    Thanks again for the writeup, I'll take it to heart. Looks like the world of Korean arcade parts is a lot deeper than I thought. I also forgot that Infiltration's lever was supposed to be coming out as well; that's another one I'd be interested in. What a slippery slope.
    edited May 10
    You can put a round grommet in a square grommet housing, but not vice-versa.

I very briefly tried this, and I don't recommend it. Compressing against the housing is the basic mechanical function of the grommet. Using a grommet that wasn't the same dimension resulted in a weird, mushy feel and poor return to neutral. It might work better with different grommets than what I have, though, but I'm skeptical.

I'm looking forward to the SDL-301, even if it doesn't have a proper neck gate. These Crown models are great to scavenge parts from, even if you don't like the particular model.

I agree , the four anchoring points on the grommet are designed only to prevent slipping and unwanted rotations inside the housing, but if the grommet shape doesn't match the housing, we'll get slippage, stress of the anchoring points (of the grommet) and abnormally low recentering force since the edges cannot compress . It doesn't mean that because it "fits" that it should be done, the same thing applies with japanese sticks and pivot bearings of a given model put inside another model's bearing housing that is larger than the first one: it fits but it's wobbly as hell since there is too much play.

I'm not aware if it has been mentioned before, but looking at WICO joysticks * , they opted for stability since the grommets were just standard type industrial vibration mounts. They are latex rubber based, overmolded on both a square metal frame -and- a central brass sleeve. This means both frame and central sleeve were permanently embedded in the rubber. The shaft fits in the said sleeve with minimal play and the frame has 4 mounting holes.
    The equivalent of the wico grommet central sleeve would be the spool shaped plastic part seen in korean sticks, with the difference that one needs to deform a grommet to fit the "spool" , whereas the overmolded earlier design doesn't need any assembling.
    The downside of the wico grommets was the formula of the rubber and its mechanical properties, it cracked (natural rubber) and was too stiff ( famous for the "stick in molasses" feel), but the idea is everything except a bad one.

Let's wait and see what's going on with the SDL-301. I'm curious to see Samducksa come back to detachable restrictor gate lower plates once again ( discontinued since the 302) . Something tells me it's not an entirely new model and that they've perhaps dug out some old proto design , updating it in the process to meet Infiltration's needs. Even the model number hints to this.

* rubber grommet pivoting in WICO sticks was patented by "Syng N Kim" , US pat US4382166 , 1981 : his name sounds korean to me , so this may explain that...concerning use of grommets in korean joysticks
    Post edited by Agieze on
    just received the 309 in the mail today.
    it's sooooooooo much better then the 307.
    i might make this my main stick to use in all games
    follow me on twitter
  • The PhantomnautThe Phantomnaut Too obsessive over Korean arcade parts. Joined: Posts: 1,703
    edited May 11
    I have been checking Kkokkoma's stream recently and it looks like he isn't using the 309 lever at the moment. He did remove the logo on his stream overlay. I think he is also using the same Crown lever that JDCR and Saint are using. It has a purple top and JDCR did say that it's the 309. Maybe their own take on the lever?
    has anyone thought of a quick release e-clip or where i could find something like it?
    because i use a jlf quick release and i believe it will not fit into the 309.
    i havent tried it yet, just a thought.
    follow me on twitter
  • The PhantomnautThe Phantomnaut Too obsessive over Korean arcade parts. Joined: Posts: 1,703
    has anyone thought of a quick release e-clip or where i could find something like it?
    because i use a jlf quick release and i believe it will not fit into the 309.
    i havent tried it yet, just a thought.

Hmm... you can try using a plier to widen or shorten the e-clip.
  • Sanada-kunSanada-kun Joined: Posts: 687
    I have a 307 in my te2+. I am thinking about either getting a etokki stick or upgrading to the 309. I kno gettin the 309 is obviously cheaper but am just wondering which one is better? How well does the etokki stick perform overall?
    @Sanada-kun i'm very blunt when it come to arcade stick and how they perform. To me it almost doesn't what the body is as long as it's wide enough.
    the omni fightstick is mostly like good fightstick, solid, heard it was heavy, and 8/10 just about 90% of modern fightsticks. but the main benefit i think you're going to get out it is just to be able to mount a fanta.
    if you really want to spend about $250 (199.00 + shipping) i would just get a custom made fightstick or put more money into the one(s) you have. i just don't believe the omni is worth it unless you're going to buy it for the name.
    follow me on twitter