Korean arcade parts discussion

Comments

• HassunHassun Joined: Posts: 108
    Hassun wrote: »
    How much work would the Razer Panthera need to be adapted to Korean levers? I'm trying to figure out if it's cheaper to try and get one of those modded than it is to import an Etokki Omni.
    Although modders are exceedingly hard to find in Europe.

Yeah, i'm planning to mod my TE-S for a K stick at the moment and it should be cheaper for us in the UK not to import an etokki omni. Just remember it's going to still be expensive and a lot of work but still cheaper than importing a whole stick, but i wouldn't rule that out. From my experience buying a Qanba Q1, the stick was around £100 after you pay for shipping and then import charges. This was also for a small stick that cost under £50 from Play Asia.

To mod your stick you will need to either buy a replacement plexi, like i'm planning to with the 35mm joystick hole, or use a 35mm step drill on both the metal panel and plexi, but if you buy a replacement plexi, you can always go back to Japanese joysticks if you want. I found one of these drills at £50. You will have to go really careful and use some cutting fluid for this so that your drill doesn't overheat and fuck everything up(no clue about the cost but this shouldn't be an issue). You can find a Kowal converter plate from Arcade world UK. Try rotating this 90 degrees so that the joystick base is hanging outside the mounting plate. You can't get a Fanta from anywhere in Europe as far as I know, so you will have to import that too. Then i'm sure you already know the rest. The joystick should fit inside the Panthera with ample amounts of space.

If you calculate the cost of the joystick, mounting pate, 8-pin harness and new plexi, you should have it cost less than an etokki.(not including the price of the stick to begin with)

hope this helps =)

Thanks for the info!
    I think if I import an Etokki it will be around €300.
    A Panthera is €239 by itself.

It might actually be hard to undercut that €300..
  • CRITICALSHOTCRITICALSHOT "All Bricks" Joined: Posts: 136
    Is the sdl-301-dx infiltration lever out for purchase? If so, can I have a link?
  • platynumxplatynumx Because I have willed it. Joined: Posts: 140
    Is the sdl-301-dx infiltration lever out for purchase? If so, can I have a link?
    I don't think it comes out until next month officially.
  • ProgressiveBalanceProgressiveBalance Lili - Heihachi - Akuma - Evil Ryu - Wolverine - Zero - Scorpion - Baiken - Mitsurugi Joined: Posts: 242
    edited May 28
    How much work would the Razer Panthera need to be adapted to Korean levers? I'm trying to figure out if it's cheaper to try and get one of those modded than it is to import an Etokki Omni.
    Although modders are exceedingly hard to find in Europe.

Yeah, i'm planning to mod my TE-S for a K stick at the moment and it should be cheaper for us in the UK not to import an etokki omni. Just remember it's going to still be expensive and a lot of work but still cheaper than importing a whole stick, but i wouldn't rule that out. From my experience buying a Qanba Q1, the stick was around £100 after you pay for shipping and then import charges. This was also for a small stick that cost under £50 from Play Asia.

To mod your stick you will need to either buy a replacement plexi, like i'm planning to with the 35mm joystick hole, or use a 35mm step drill on both the metal panel and plexi, but if you buy a replacement plexi, you can always go back to Japanese joysticks if you want. I found one of these drills at £50. You will have to go really careful and use some cutting fluid for this so that your drill doesn't overheat and fuck everything up(no clue about the cost but this shouldn't be an issue). You can find a Kowal converter plate from Arcade world UK. Try rotating this 90 degrees so that the joystick base is hanging outside the mounting plate. You can't get a Fanta from anywhere in Europe as far as I know, so you will have to import that too. Then i'm sure you already know the rest. The joystick should fit inside the Panthera with ample amounts of space.

If you calculate the cost of the joystick, mounting pate, 8-pin harness and new plexi, you should have it cost less than an etokki.(not including the price of the stick to begin with)

hope this helps =)

Thanks for the info!
    I think if I import an Etokki it will be around €300.
    A Panthera is €239 by itself.

It might actually be hard to undercut that €300..

The Etokki also has the same layout as Tekken cabinets. A small detail but might be something to think about. You can still swap and change Plexi and artwork and with the new rev, I think some of this have been improved.

Guys, what stick was SAINT using? Also is there an article or something where he talks about crown levers. I'm so confused. Why do all the partnership Korean levers have to be crowns? Are crowns better to HelpMe, a Infiltration and saint?
    edited May 29

Guys, what stick was SAINT using? Also is there an article or something where he talks about crown levers. I'm so confused. Why do all the partnership Korean levers have to be crowns? Are crowns better to HelpMe, a Infiltration and saint?

No idea what saint was using but a helpme and infiltration are both models sold by crown. Perhaps modified from a base model but crown none the less. As to what is better doesn't that come down to the old personal preference bit?
  • VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 518
    edited May 29
    I was able to install a Myougshin Fanta into my HORI RAP4 Kai with KOF art. I removed the art with a heat gun took the panel out and sandwiched it between some cinderblocks. Then I used a step bit I ordered off Amazon and drilled the 35mm hole. It worked great! Right now, so I can use it over the 3 day weekend, I have the Fanta on it's normal mount held in the stick with rubberbands. Tight hold. I have a Kowal Universal plate coming on Tuesday that I'll install it on permanently. This was really easy to do and I recommend it to anyone that wants to use a Korean stick on a Japanese case. I'll put up a post detailing the steps once my art and plexi come and I get everything installed and all the pictures of the process. Sorry for the long read, later!
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • CRITICALSHOTCRITICALSHOT "All Bricks" Joined: Posts: 136
    platynumx wrote: »
    I don't think it comes out until next month officially.

Thanks
    Where can I order the Golden Fanta mod?
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • noober2noober2 Pre 09 member Joined: Posts: 403

I was able to install a Myougshin Fanta into my HORI RAP4 Kai with KOF art. I removed the art with a heat gun took the panel out and sandwiched it between some cinderblocks. Then I used a step bit I ordered off Amazon and drilled the 35mm hole. It worked great! Right now, so I can use it over the 3 day weekend, I have the Fanta on it's normal mount held in the stick with rubberbands. Tight hold. I have a Kowal Universal plate coming on Tuesday that I'll install it on permanently. This was really easy to do and I recommend it to anyone that wants to use a Korean stick on a Japanese case. I'll put up a post detailing the steps once my art and plexi come and I get everything installed and all the pictures of the process. Sorry for the long read, later!

thanks for this tip, i was trying to figure out how i could use a step bit on a TE 2 panel without having to use vice grips and a drill press.
  • fithfithfithfith Joined: Posts: 15
    Where can I order the Golden Fanta mod?

@wazwuz
    Focus attack has the Crown 309 HelpMe lever on sale again. I just bought one for $18.01. I had $20 in rewards coupon money to use. I can't wait to get it and compare it to my Fanta lever.

Here's the link to it here:http://tinyurl.com/y7fnx783
  • HassunHassun Joined: Posts: 108
    Focus attack has the Crown 309 HelpMe lever on sale again. I just bought one for $18.01. I had $20 in rewards coupon money to use. I can't wait to get it and compare it to my Fanta lever.

Here's the link to it here:http://tinyurl.com/y7fnx783
    Let us know what you think!
  • kodee vukodee vu Joined: Posts: 404
    Saint used a crown 309 at combo breaker.

I tried the infiltration lever demo, as well. It felt damn good, but didn't get to try it plugged up to tekken. Hype increased 10x.
  • ProgressiveBalanceProgressiveBalance Lili - Heihachi - Akuma - Evil Ryu - Wolverine - Zero - Scorpion - Baiken - Mitsurugi Joined: Posts: 242
    edited May 31
    Is an no collar 309FJ as good as a MJ or Helpme? I ask because I plan to get an 309 before I get a Myoungshin. Not having to drill my case just until later is a lot more practical as I don't want to drill my case just yet, but I don't want to compromise on performance. So far I believe the only difference is a lighter tension grommet in the 309MJ to the Helpme, but could what about the no collar 309FJ?
  • LordFuLordFu Joined: Posts: 52
    edited May 31
    They're not identical, but I like them both. The Myoungshin is significantly different than either 309 model.
    Is an no collar 309FJ as good as a MJ or Helpme? I ask because I plan to get an 309 before I get a Myoungshin. Not having to drill my case just until later is a lot more practical as I don't want to drill my case just yet, but I don't want to compromise on performance. So far I believe the only difference is a lighter tension grommet in the 309MJ to the Helpme, but could what about the no collar 309FJ?

Why IS a collared Korean stick considered better than the non-collared? Can someone explain this? Thanks in advance if you do.
  • Elston87Elston87 Joined: Posts: 38
    FocusAttack is now carrying the SDB-201 buttons. $4 a button for solid colors and $5 a button for translucent colors. Well damn.

Why IS a collared Korean stick considered better than the non-collared? Can someone explain this? Thanks in advance if you do.

As much as I know about Korean sticks, they all have collars, as compared to the Japanese-mounting variants, in which not all of them do, or rather, the circular gate was mounted flush with the mounting plate. According to this review from The Phantomnaut (can't tag the name properly due to a space), the small version of the neck gate allows for more consistent movement, akin to the normal Korean joysticks.

Then again, I wouldn't consider it "better" per say, since I know some users of the Crown 303-FK, mostly Guilty Gear players actually, who are perfectly content with it, with similar results when they tried out the standard 309 model without the mini neck gate.
    edited June 1
    Edit: delete stupid question
    Post edited by VarmintBaby on
  • jey-arejey-are Intermediate Noob Joined: Posts: 87
    So you guys I'm really torn. I've been using Hitbox for about 5mo now and I've gotten pretty good with it. I just discovered Korean levers and I like them so far. All I have is a Myoungshin Fanta but I'm not as good execution wise with that as I am with the Hitbox. Should I continue to struggle with Fanta (and soon a Crown 309 Helpme from FA ) or just stick to what I know with the Hitbox. I played japanese stick before the Hitbox and had gotten really good on it but I've lost a lot of that skill. Don't get me wrong I'm not terrible on stick, just not as precise as on Hitbox. I don't know what to do man geez. Korean levers are cool and I'm getting Tekken 7 tomorrow. Korean backdash on hitbox seems lackluster compared to learning the skill on a lever. What do you think?

I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. I was conflicted when I first started out playing arcadestick from pad. I felt I was sloppy with the JLF it came with. I would often switch back and forth. Because I felt I was better on pad at the time. If I could compare it to anything, I'd say it's like learning a new instrument. Practice and sticking with it will pay off eventually.

IMO do what feels right. For​ me, when I play Tekken, I enjoy it more on stick. Especially on a K-stick. Some would feel otherwise.

I remember coming from playing on crown's and switching​ to M-fanta, there was a difference I had to adjust to. I felt on the crown's I could bat them around more. "Open grip" or whatever you call it. And on the M-fanta, I used a more "closed grip" lighter touch. Shorter twitches. But that's just me.
    -Psn ID: JxRx420
    -Instagram: jeyrizzy
    -Usually plays Tekken.
  • rbuniaorbuniao Joined: Posts: 169
    Elston87 wrote: »
    FocusAttack is now carrying the SDB-201 buttons. $4 a button for solid colors and $5 a button for translucent colors. Well damn.

Good thing I bought those buttons when Paradise Arcade Shop setup shop at Combo Breaker this past weekend for slight cheaper ($28 for a set of 8). Really loving those buttons at this moment.
    edited June 1
    Those new SDB-201 buttons are actually quite cool. Are they in Korean tekken cabinets, or are they sanwa?

I might even consider picking some SDB-201s up, but I don't know how well they perform. Anyone here have any experience?
    I might even consider picking some SDB-201s up, but I don't know how well they perform. Anyone here have any experience?

I'd recommend it (especially after using them for a couple of days). It has the right touch and feel for me (not too sensitive but still responsive enough for me).
    rbuniao wrote: »

I'd recommend it (especially after using them for a couple of days). It has the right touch and feel for me (not too sensitive but still responsive enough for me).

Care to compare to say sanwas or seimitsus?
    I just swapped my sanwa buttons for seimitsu, or I'd be all over these. I do like the seimitsus, though.
    edited June 1

Care to compare to say sanwas or seimitsus?

Seeing that I own both sanwas and seimitsus buttons they're closer to a seimitsu. Also, another thing about the Crowns is they have that clicky feel (like a mechanical keyboard).

EDIT: Another thing that I like was that screw rims were thinner than the Seimitsus which made installation much easier.
    Does anybody know the correct mounting height of a Korean joystick? I see lots of sticks all mounted at different heights but I don't know how much it should be. Does anyone have any measurements
    It'd be awesome if someone can chime in with what's considered "correct".

The top of my collar is ~3/16" above the deck only because my enclosure isn't tall enough to go lower. I used 4x M4 washers and super-glue for spacers, and my hardware is M4x16mm flat countersunk head screws. I recommend hex socket screws over Phillips just so you don't have to fight with the switch terminals to get to the screws.
    Not sure if there is a "correct" height, but I think the cabinets in Korea have the top of the collar 2-3 mm above the top panel. I have mine set at 3 mm.
    -Usually plays Tekken.
    edited June 2
    It seems likely that Focus Attack has been selling the 2nd generation Help Me levers since they only use the Panasonic Switches.

Maybe but we don't get the purple top.

ZN5H7A2.jpg

So this is 2-3mm then?
    jey-are wrote: »
    Not sure if there is a "correct" height, but I think the cabinets in Korea have the top of the collar 2-3 mm above the top panel. I have mine set at 3 mm.

• ClandestineClandestine Patiently waiting for CvS3 Joined: Posts: 522
    Am i right in assuming that the only differences between the 309MJ and the 309Helpme is the height of the collar? Or are there other differences that i havent heard of? Also is the return to neutral worse than the fanta?
    edited June 2
    Am i right in assuming that the only differences between the 309MJ and the 309Helpme is the height of the collar? Or are there other differences that i havent heard of? Also is the return to neutral worse than the fanta?

Tension is different between the 309's. Helpme is rated 35 the mj is 25.
  • ClandestineClandestine Patiently waiting for CvS3 Joined: Posts: 522

Tension is different between the 309's. Helpme is rated 35 the mj is 25.

I see. Since both have less tension than the fanta, does this end up hindering the return to neutral?
    IMO it's about the same.
    edited June 2
    It seems likely that Focus Attack has been selling the 2nd generation Help Me levers since they only use the Panasonic Switches.

Maybe but we don't get the purple top.

ZN5H7A2.jpg

So this is 2-3mm then?
    jey-are wrote: »

@ProgressiveBalance Yes​.

Edit: I tried uploading a pic and linking the URL to it all through my phone but having probs. I got a zoomed up pic of mine at 3 mm and it looks spot on with the one you linked.

Edit v.2: Not a zoomed in pic, but it's best I can do

296j9c9.jpg
    Post edited by jey-are on
    -Usually plays Tekken.
    @Clandestine the grommets on the 309's are thicker also. Even though it's rated at a less tension. Something to factor in.
    -Usually plays Tekken.
    edited June 2
    @Clandestine, IPlayWinner covers these sticks in this video. Its very helpful. If you think that the 309MJ tension is too light, you might want to try the 309FJ HelpMe. It doesn't have the collar. http://makestick.com/us/?menuType=product&mode=view&act=list&page=&searchField=&searchKey=&lcate=002&mcate=&scate=&fcate=&sort=&prodCode=2016052700001&searchIcon6=&searchIcon7=&searchIcon8=&searchIcon9=&searchColor=&searchSize=&pr_no=&searchStartPrice=&searchEndPrice=

@Clandestine, IPlayWinner covers these sticks in this video. Its very helpful. If you think that the 309MJ tension is too light, you might want to try the 309FJ HelpMe. It doesn't have the collar.

What is a 309fj helpme?
    Did you mean 307fj?
    While I'm thinking about it whatever happened to golden fanta mod?
    Yeah, I haven't seen anyone post about that in months. I would have thought we would have heard more information about it. Didn't @kodee vu use the mod at combo breaker?