Bison (dictator) Thread

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    don't judge your play on how you do against the cpu. the cpu can be a bitch sometimes, especilly the cpu in HSF2 AE. i normally have to resort to cheap AI exploits to win, and it doesn't even feel like im playing SF at all. ive seen cpu guile do 2 sb's in a row, while both were still on screen. not humanly possible. the only way to get better is to play real people, around your level or even alot better than you (that's how i learn).

and dont forget to look up taira and yuuvega on youtube. probably the best dictator players in the world.
  • holy-diverholy-diver Joined: Posts: 27
    I've seen yuuvega and he is ....marvelous!!!!!
    But everytime I watch him I realize how much risks takes Bison to be played really well.

It's just
    one error= corner= certain death for what I've learned 'til now.
  • vieja escuelavieja escuela Joined: Posts: 93
    I usually see in Dic top players videos, an intense use of the slide (down hk), especially after a knocking down of the opponent.

Since the slide is considered a risky option, I don't understand exactly its advantage with the other player on the ground.

Is it a method to cross-up or just a way to get closer to the other player at his standing up?
  • AirthrowAirthrow Joined: Posts: 4,525
    It's a way of getting closer to the opponent while charging all of his moves so they can punish on wakeup.
    RIP Group B Rallying 1982-1986
  • vieja escuelavieja escuela Joined: Posts: 93
    It's a way of getting closer to the opponent while charging all of his moves so they can punish on wakeup.

Thx.
  • ilikemacaroni707ilikemacaroni707 MacaRudy Joined: Posts: 306
    I'm feelin no love in this thread Everyone just ignored my question about chun. :crybaby: Sooo... can anyone help me with facing chun? Everytime I face a decent chun user I get shut down.
    shinobi00: oh man...
    fudd: what happened?
    shinobi00: I just split my pants.
    I won't lie to you dude. Dic is a bad match up against Chun. I think that's why no one has responded to this tread in while cuz they don't know what do do against her either. lol. I myself don't know of a strategy that will work all the time but I will do my best:

Remember with Dic, your best defense is your offense. Pressure her with s.mk and l.scissors and throw when she's turtling. don't do psychos cuz her f.s.strong beats it out cleanly. and dont let her corner you, cuz his options to get out of the corner are pretty limited (super - if you have the bar, or reverse throw which is hard to time). when dic is cornered chun can just pressure with strong and throw. Muteki is quite good at this.

If the ground game fails, take to the air. This is where I think Dic has an advantage over chun. his j/f. strong, strong is really good as well as j/f. mk. They have good priority and will win out against most of jump attacks (j/f mk and neutral j.roundhouse are the only attacks of hers you should really worry about). I tend to use strong, strong more as I find it more consistent. neutral jump roundhouse is a good anti air if Chun does an obvious jump in. Using headstomps and the psycho reverse are also good tools for mindgames. The headstomp has decent priority and the psycho reverse is good for faking an attack while building meter at the some time. After I land a headstomp, I tend to retreat instead of trying to cross her up becasue her throw and her strong are just that scary. Plus it gives me more time to analyze wheter I should pressure on the ground or jump again.

All in all, this a bad matchup for Dic and you really have to play smart. My strategy is based on experience as well as watching yuuvega and taira vids. I know I missed alot of stuff on this matchup so feel free to expound on this, becuase I need help on this matchup as well. Chun is just that good!
    thx for the help dude. I somewhat figured out half of the stuff you told me from experience. But man Chun is just.... I just wanna :l::lk::lk::db::mk::r::hp: her up the butt. :annoy:
    I agree w/ MSG. Dic vs Chun hard match. Even j.strong loses to Chun's early j.short/forward. Chun can jump more as her wish because Dic has no effective ground anti-air against, and even if her jump ins are read Dic has not enough space control to do air-to-air. And bitch has a fireball to stop half of the sci-kicks....(SBO 07 HSF2 final)
  • SiManSiMan Joined: Posts: 52
    Hey all,

i'm a real beginner w/ ST and i've decided to play bison. I've started to grasp the basics with him, but i still don't understand the mechanics behind the devil reverse. It's not so much the followup punch attack you can do from it, but more the range of the initial part of the move.
    Like is it the direction of the up+punch (ie. up+f, up, up+b) that controls the distance of the move, or the strength of the punch used?
    Also, does the position of the opponent affect the way bison travels with this, or is the opponent's position not a factor?
    I'm only really using it atm to build meter, and am relying more on the headstomp in other situations because i find it easier to control. What are the major uses for the devil reverse anyway? Guess if i was able to control it better i could understand its uses more.

Cheers in advance. I read earlier posts in this thread but i still couldn't understand it.
    Hey all,

i'm a real beginner w/ ST and i've decided to play bison. I've started to grasp the basics with him, but i still don't understand the mechanics behind the devil reverse. It's not so much the followup punch attack you can do from it, but more the range of the initial part of the move.
    Like is it the direction of the up+punch (ie. up+f, up, up+b) that controls the distance of the move, or the strength of the punch used?
    Also, does the position of the opponent affect the way bison travels with this, or is the opponent's position not a factor?
    I'm only really using it atm to build meter, and am relying more on the headstomp in other situations because i find it easier to control. What are the major uses for the devil reverse anyway? Guess if i was able to control it better i could understand its uses more.

Cheers in advance. I read earlier posts in this thread but i still couldn't understand it.
    ]

Sometimes i use it to cross up. Like if you hop and go behind them, then press punch, and then make dictator go back in front. It may or may not confuse them to block the wrong way. But hey you get chip damage, and meter if you don't. If you've developed your opponent to expect a stomp after knockdown or something, you could throw in a devils reverse to mix it up. I haven't seen anyone else do this yet but, versus certain characters like guile, if i KNOW they gonna throw out a sonic boom/fireball then I'll use the hop from devils reverse to get into the corner or next to them. Usually for some odd reason players never expect this and its a field day for throwing or combos since you got them in the corner. Just don't rely on it too much since you can get hit out of it kinda easily. But yeah can someone explain when dictator hops REALLY high in the air? I could never figure out why that happens.
  • ShinVegaShinVega Shoryuken'n est. 92' Joined: Posts: 191
    I'll try and explain the mechanics of Devil Reverse [DR] and (on a lesser note) Head Stomp [HS]. The DR has two parts: the first part is the execution of the "Devil Jump done by inputting [chrge. dn (55 frames), Up+P]." That is the basic way to execute the first part. Here's the possibilities (after charging down obviously): the height & direction of the jump (speed) is determined by..... the direction you input [up/twds + P will yield a very low, extremely fast hyperbola in their direction, while up/away + P will cause dic to move slightly away from the opp.] The second part of the DR the Reverse part is executed by pressing punch again (this is where the strength of the punch will make a big difference) at some point in the air after executing the Devil Jump. The greater strength of the punch used the larger the reverse (dic makes a shape closely resembling a circle), however, the recovery time increases with each by 2 frames starting with 11 for jab. The DR also works off what the opp. does; as long as the opp. doesn't execute a move before you finish the input for the Devil Jump, it's trajectory won't be altered; however, if the opp. let's say jumps in place, depending on the kind of Devil Jump you performed, your Devil Jump will be altered [for the ex. if you had input Up/Twds+Fierce you will get a large hyperbola b/c the processor/engine will be set to have you going a certain height over your opp. at an instantaneous point in time (i.e. the game only sees the fighters [no ground for move height measurements] this is why you get some of the "crazyness" people talk about, and it's very useful to know how to access this "crazyness" feature at anytime so practice)]. Deep Breath..... The HS works pretty much in the same way but is far more useful; due to speed, instant hit on fireball reversals (easy to do), combo possibilities, cross up possibilities, and many other awsome factors :wgrin: I use HS all the time and confuse a lot of people with HS tricks and wicked crosses/mix-ups. Definately learn to use both PERFECTLY i.e. this information is mostly self taught with help from friends and math, and of course the YBH; and you'll benefit most by just practicing and playing against good dic players. If anyone sees anything wrong with anything I said here please let me know, or just post corrections.
    Note: The DR is useful but only for tricks and attempts to confuse opp. can be used offensively, but I wouldn't recommend it [IMO]

NOTE: You can alter direction with any "air" move in the game by holding towards or away after each individual input.
    No freely available material is allowed on this site, no exceptions. - ptp
    SF2 Code v1.0: t s+ T++ r f++ g+ m+ s+ v++ M++ n++:-- o++
  • SiManSiMan Joined: Posts: 52
    Thanks for the replay ShinVega, it was exactly the info i needed!

I have found the headstomp alot easier and more straightforward to use, but my use with it is still very basic...

...*goes and watches more YuuVega and Taira matches*...
  • UltraDavidUltraDavid commenta..ttorney?? Joined: Posts: 6,053
    I've been trying to pick up Dictator lately. He's such a weird character, but also really interesting.

One trick I've had pretty good success with recently is when you're near your opponent as they're waking up, you can do headstomp on most characters without fear of getting hit because its hitbox is so strong, so they'll know to just try and block it. But you can mix that up with neutral-up devil's jump (without doing the reverse part) so that when they're looking to block a headstomp, you instead very quickly land right to them and throw them before they realize what's going on.

Another trick I've been using also has to do with the headstomp. As your opponent is waking up, you often want to do crouching forward, crouching forward on them, and if they mess up a throw or don't block for whatever reason, you cancel into scissor kicks for big damage and a possible dizzy. Everyone knows this, so everyone's pretty well trained to block low on wakeup for two crouching forwards. One way to mix this up is to then walk forward a bit and throw, but another way is to cancel the first crouching forward into a quick headstomp for a fast little overhead.

One question about that situation, though. Sometimes it seems like the headstomp comes very fast, and other times it seems like Dic kinda hovers in the air a bit beforehand, giving the opponent time to block. I always input the command the same way, so why does this happen sometimes? Is it random? Is it based on my opponent's character, maybe?
    Your legal insider in entertainment and video games!
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    www.twitter.com/UltraDavid
    www.facebook.com/UltraDavidFB
  • SosageSosage Mopping Up Your Salt Joined: Posts: 1,807 mod
    Check ShinVega's post...there was also a post earlier in this thread about the rules/properties of Dictators headstomp. Some of it has to do with the hitboxes of certain moves and how the headstomp will track and seak it out. Hitting fireballs with it, for example, is the headstomp seaking the opponent's hitbox during the fireball frames...as I understood it. Sometimes this weirdness will happen against DP's, where if done at a certain time the headstomp will just float over the dp, while when timed correctly the HS will hit the DP because of the hit box appearing at a specific point in the DP animation (or something like that...).
    It Was Tuesday -- 925 SFV Weekly ... http://www.itwastuesday.com
    SRK Mod ...cause I enjoy destroying your fun...
    Rindoukan Yellow Belt ...cause I paid 49.95 for lessons at the local strip mall and now I can karakusa online...
    RIP KS2
  • GoryusGoryus Joined: Posts: 232
    I've been trying to pick up Dictator lately. He's such a weird character, but also really interesting.

One trick I've had pretty good success with recently is when you're near your opponent as they're waking up, you can do headstomp on most characters without fear of getting hit because its hitbox is so strong, so they'll know to just try and block it. But you can mix that up with neutral-up devil's jump (without doing the reverse part) so that when they're looking to block a headstomp, you instead very quickly land right to them and throw them before they realize what's going on.

Another trick I've been using also has to do with the headstomp. As your opponent is waking up, you often want to do crouching forward, crouching forward on them, and if they mess up a throw or don't block for whatever reason, you cancel into scissor kicks for big damage and a possible dizzy. Everyone knows this, so everyone's pretty well trained to block low on wakeup for two crouching forwards. One way to mix this up is to then walk forward a bit and throw, but another way is to cancel the first crouching forward into a quick headstomp for a fast little overhead.

One question about that situation, though. Sometimes it seems like the headstomp comes very fast, and other times it seems like Dic kinda hovers in the air a bit beforehand, giving the opponent time to block. I always input the command the same way, so why does this happen sometimes? Is it random? Is it based on my opponent's character, maybe?

Instant jumping mk is a great overhead, especially if it'll kill them.
    I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
    When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    how exactly do you do bisons touch of death?

i'm playing ST bison in sf:ae and trying to do crossup mk, lk, lk, c.mk, hp psycho crusher.

the problem is getting the c.mk to connect as the 2 lks knock them back too far.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
    I've been having problems with that too. Is it character-specific?
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    Finally read through this whole thread, good stuff. Think I'm gonna start playing Dic as my 3rd guy now.

About getting tick thrown, obviously if the opponent is in your throw range (and only Sim, Honda, Gief, and Blanka have longer normal throw ranges) you wanna throw, but if you're not in range, your best bet is just to hold up (or up-back or up-toward) on the stick. Dictator gets airborne really fast (the fastest, maybe? seems like it, but does anyone have real data?), so this can actually be possible if your opponent messes up. Let's say your opponent goes for tick throw, but does the actual throw too late. Doing scissor kicks isn't a good idea because while you'll get off the ground in about the same amount of time you would with just jumping, the scissors will probably get beaten by whatever normal move your opponent tried to throw with. If your opponent didn't throw and went for a dragon punch/super (etc) instead, scissors will lose to that cleanly, and if your opponent just did a tick and no move after, scissors will get blocked and your opponent will get a free whatever-he-wants because you did an unsafe move at an unsafe range. So, yeah, if you get ticked from outside your throw range, just hold up-back.
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    how exactly do you do bisons touch of death?

i'm playing ST bison in sf:ae and trying to do crossup mk, lk, lk, c.mk, hp psycho crusher.

the problem is getting the c.mk to connect as the 2 lks knock them back too far.

I do j. hk, st. lk cr. mk and then scissors and it does 50%+ and dizzies everytime.
    Finally read through this whole thread, good stuff. Think I'm gonna start playing Dic as my 3rd guy now.

About getting tick thrown, obviously if the opponent is in your throw range (and only Sim, Honda, Gief, and Blanka have longer normal throw ranges) you wanna throw, but if you're not in range, your best bet is just to hold up (or up-back or up-toward) on the stick. Dictator gets airborne really fast (the fastest, maybe? seems like it, but does anyone have real data?),

Good advice for getting out of tick attempts. I just try to stay away from corners and getting locked down.

Here's the data for walking speed from T.Akiba's site (http://nki.combovideos.com/data.html#walking):

Fastest: Claw
    2nd: Chun, Fei, and Dic

I can only "guess" that the walking speeds might be related to movement in any direction; therefore, I would assume that the walking speeds can be directly correlated to jumping speed (this is only an assumption). Which is not all that outlandish an idea since the programmers must have put in a speed/vector value for direction in all four coordinates [x,y,-x,-y] respective of the direction the player is facing of course]. Does this mean some players crouch faster than others, I think so, the game engine must have values/algorithms for every movement/action. So in conclusion, Dic does jump much faster than the other characters (according to the data from T.Akiba's website and the assumptions I made). I tested it on GGPOnfba by inputting the same controls for both 1st and 2nd player, selected diff. characters and Dic; then I just held up and waited for round to start. Sure enough dic jumped faster than most characters, Chun jumped slightly faster than Dic, and a little higher. I found out something else interesting, the speed of the jump also indicates the height of the jump (in SOME cases ex. of where it doesn't is Sim jumps very high but the slowest jumper). Claw jumps the highest and the fastest (for sure). I'll add more later, if anyone sees anything wrong let me know.
    I would be really interested if you could test frame by frame if everyone crouches different speeds, because my understanding of the game is that everyone crouches and stands up (from a crouching position, not waking up) exactly the same. Otherwise there'd be cases where only certain characters would have time to block low, but everyone seems to block the same speed to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Dic's best matchups and why? This thread IMO is a lot less informative than the Boxer thread. There's six pages and I still haven't seen a clear, concise explanation of how Devil's Reverse works, and a couple descriptions of TODs, not a whole lot of tactics at all...
  • yuukiyuuki Joined: Posts: 782
    Airthrow:

The devils reverse is a good move when appropriate. Its uses are building meter, getting over fireballs, fake outs, getting to the other side of the screen, and attacking from above where the only answer for it is to block. You should be able to figure out how it works by experimenting with it.

The touch of death combo is generally cross up rh > 2 st. shorts > cr. forward x fierce psycho crusher.

However other combos have a high tendency to dizzy opponents as well. For example: Jump in strong, st. short, cr. forward x rh scissor kicks.

Bison doesnt really have one match up where he excels from my experience.

What a lot of bison players get stuck on is going for his high damage combos when really theres a lot to him, and you can win without dizzying them
    かかってきな。
  • Professor JonesProfessor Jones Joined: Posts: 213
    (and only Sim, Honda, Gief, and Blanka have longer normal throw ranges)

Boxer's mp throw range is longer than normal too.
    Yuuki, what I meant was the directions/buttons for controlling the Devil's reverse, I have only really figured out that up/towards+jab is best to avoid fireballs and build meter, and up/towards+fierce is best for flying away. What are neutral up and up/back for?

I've seen some players change directions with DR in mid air and go a completely different way, does anyone know the exact input for how that's done?

Also, what is the best combo you can do after the devil's reverse, punch lands? Standing mk?
    Hey I'm having trouble with offensive sims. Whenever I play sims that just like to keep me out it feels like a field day for me :looney:. But whenever I play sims that just play balls out and drill the fuck outta me/aggresive zoning I really just don't understand the situation and what to do. Also there are no sims that play like that on ggpo which is the only way I can get competition :sad:.
    Dict getting crossed up?

Is there a list of what attacks you need to block the cross up like it's a cross up versus as a regular attack?

It seems that Ryu's crossup RH needs to be blocked as if it was not a cross up.
    As far as a comprehensive list for every character as to the direction to block x's (cross ups), I don't know of one that exists. Example. Ryu's RH x should be blocked in the opposite direction you were initially facing; however, sometimes people will play mind games and not actually x and you'll end up blocking the wrong direction. One very tough x to block IMO would be gief's Siberian Splash (j.d+Fierce). Might buy the Yoga Book Hyper, it's helped me out quit a bit with questions like these as all the hit box diagrams are in there.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,634
    So is anyone else hyped to play remixed dictator? Fake slide that goes as far as the real one except it doesn't hit of course will make walk up throw even easier, invincible st jab will probably be a much better anti air then j.mp and devils reverse is invincible on startup so he'll be able to escape corner pressure much easier.

Dic sounds toptier to me =) Any thoughts on how these buffs will affect his matchups and overall game play?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    He sounds top tier for sure, but also really dumb. In my opinion his antiair options and lack of a non-super reversal make him a really weird but very interesting character, one of the most unique in the game, and I like playing under that all-or-nothing mindset. He's really getting homogenized here, and I think that's stupid. Also it just seems bad to me from a balance point of view to address all of his weaknesses in such excellent ways and then even give him some totally out-of-the-blue fake move without nerfing any part of his game at all, especially when the situation where he's weakest (caught in the corner by a grappler) is already being taken out because Hawk, Gief, and Honda (reportedly) all now have more/some bounceback after their command grabs.
    www.dpgatlaw.com
  • BattosaiBattosai Joined: Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Here is a link for a Tournament match vid between Thomas Osaki(Bison with the blue and gold color and Alex Valle(HF color ST ryu). This from evo 2k2. This match is towards the end of the vid

http://zachd.com/mvc2/matches/Evolution/evo2k2/evo2002%20super%20turbo%20highlights%20hour%201.wmv
  • Yo' DaddyYo' Daddy Joined: Posts: 29
    ok so i have a problem with the crossup TOD combo

crossup j.rh > s.lk > c.mk > scissor/crusher doesnt work for me. the scisssor/crusher never seems to come out. is there a trick to charging for this? if im facing right before crossing up, and i jump to the right over the opponent and keep holding right while doing the combo, is that sufficient charge time?

crossup j.rh > s.lk x2 > c.mk > scissor/crusher works for me, but i cant do s.lk x2 > cmk consistently, so i want to be able to do the previous version of the TOD combo.

any help is appreciated
  • Footsy BebopFootsy Bebop Joined: Posts: 326
    I think if you're going to do one s.lk, you have to use the crusher, not the scissor. I think the crusher takes slightly less charge time.
  • epsilon_epsilon_ helpful Joined: Posts: 3,582
    the first "tod" shouldn't be a crossup, it's just jumpin j.rh, s.lk, c.mk xx rh scissors.

the crossup combo into scissors is crossup j.rh, s.lk x2, c.mk xx rh scissors.
    i don't care what the critics say, violence is a beauuutiful thing!
    Actually the crossup version is preferable, both because it does more damage and because it's a lot easier to actually hit the opponent because of how ambiguous and variable his crossups are. And for some characters, the better crossup jumpin is jumping forward, but I'm not enough of a dedicated Bison player to remember exactly which ones are better crossed up with roundhouse and which with forward. Also, don't always do the scissors to end the combo, pay attention to where you are on screen to decide whether to do scissors or crusher. If you're in the corner when your combo starts, finish with crusher to get out of there, both as an escape hatch in case you mess up and because otherwise you can't set up for another crossup combo.

Be sure to mix up the jump-in between fake crossup and crossup, you don't want to give the opponent an easy block. As Bison, you don't need to change the location of the start of your jump to do this mix up, you just have to change the timing of the actual jump-in attack; always jump from the same spot, but if you do the attack a bit earlier it hits from the front, and if you do it a bit later it hits from the back.
    www.dpgatlaw.com
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    bison needs his alpha teleport so he wont be ticked to death in the corner. or in sims case, yoga flamed to death.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • epsilon_epsilon_ helpful Joined: Posts: 3,582
    well, i said shouldn't because he was wondering why it wouldn't work with one s.lk. you don't have time to charge the scissors with only 1.
    i don't care what the critics say, violence is a beauuutiful thing!
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853
    I was talking to GIGA-MSX about this one day.

I asked why he NEVER goes for the the c/u mk> cr.lk *2> cr. MK > Scissor Kick.

He said "whats the point."

The c/u mk> cr.lk *2> cr. MK > crusher is way easier to do, comes out 100% and dizzies 99% of the time. He could not really think of many matches where he hit that combo and lost.

He then asked me the question, why wouldn't you go for easiest combo with an ultra high dizzy %. Other than to simply show off, I couldn't give him a real response

It is true, the scissor combo does do a bit more damage, and dizzies 100%. However, there is a much larger margin of error to mess up the combo and totally lose your opportunity to punish. You have to charge the scissor 30% longer than the crusher, so the is a much higher chance to botch the whole thing.

As stated on Nohoho's page. Yuu Vega's most feared combo is:

"bonk, bip, bip, whap, frrrrroosh -> woo woo woo woo
    shhh, bip, bip, whap, thwak, thwak -> peace out"

I am sure we all know this combo, and I am sure we all know why it is so fucking scary!

Just my 2 cents. I am not a bison expert. So, it is worh it weight. :razz:
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
  • Yo' DaddyYo' Daddy Joined: Posts: 29
    cheers Footsy Bebop, Ultradavid, epsilon and Fatboy

that answered my question perfectly!
  • shortpitched713shortpitched713 Waiting for SSIVTHDR Joined: Posts: 177
    A new Dic player here. Had a question about one of the translations to Yoga Book Hyper for Dic, which can be found here.

The fourth string starts with jab psycho crusher, slide kick (as it ends). I'm wondering just what the hell that means. Is it assuming that either the crusher or the slide knockdown? And in that case how would it be any different from any other knockdown? Or if its assuming that both get blocked then that doesn't make any sense either, since slide is like the unsafest move in the game. :wonder:

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!