Bison (dictator) Thread

Comments

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,710
    I see. I've never had a problem with bisons PC messing up the tick timing. Ryu's tatsu was a bit tricky at first, but I got that timing down now.

Oh Lord, I know that to be true. All I can do to fuck up your timing is short spin kicks, and hope I catch you off guard.
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    Oh Lord, I know that to be true. All I can do to fuck up your timing is short spin kicks, and hope I catch you off guard.

Yeah, stop doing that please.
    I've never had a Dictator mess me up with reversal PC. When I go to the arcade on Saturday I'll try to test it with my friend there. He's got a pretty solid Dic. ;)
    Roald Dhalsim
    Yeah, stop doing that please.

There's literally no other option to counter the Sako tick besides hoping he messes up the execution. Uppercuts aren't as effective since it's pretty easy to start the tick throw loop to punish. spin kick will at least catch him off guard either by him not punishing you as you fly away, or at least giving you a weak mix-up whereby he has to either guess if you're going to uppercut, throw, block string, or block to bait the uppercut.
  • BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,993
    Looking for some advice for my friend regarding the footsie game of dictator vs guile. He can't seem to find any pokes against my dictator. My best advice is to play outside dictator's poke range and whiff punish and maintain charge. I feel like he's playing too close and needs to work the 2/3 screen distance more waiting for greedy jumps. But what about when I walk up pressure him, does he have anything to combat standing forward or roundhouse?
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    Looking for some advice for my friend regarding the footsie game of dictator vs guile. He can't seem to find any pokes against my dictator. My best advice is to play outside dictator's poke range and whiff punish and maintain charge. I feel like he's playing too close and needs to work the 2/3 screen distance more waiting for greedy jumps. But what about when I walk up pressure him, does he have anything to combat standing forward or roundhouse?

Best weapon Guile has against Bison's pokes is Sonic Boom. Guile can also use crouch Forward, though Bison can beat it with his own crouch Forward, also Guile can use psychic Somersault to catch Bison if he's close enough, but it's risky. The best thing to use is Sonic Boom for sure.

Even though Bison can trade Roundhouse with Sonic Boom in his favor, Guile can eventually push him out and force him to block the Booms or jump them or Headstomp, all of which is what Guile wants him to do. If he jumps Guile can use crouch Fierce, far Strong, crouch Forward, Sweep, back Sobat depending on the range. If he Headstomps, it's tricky cuz fast Booms can catch him while he's rising into the air, and if he makes it, then Guile will have to swtich from constant Booms to jumping attacks or Somersault to beat the Stomps.
    Blitz did a pretty good job explaining it. Ideally you want to keep yourself at that range where you're outside Bison's poke range, but able to throw a fast sonic boom. Zoning Bison here is the key, if you don't, and you allow him to knock you down, it can turn out to be a pretty quick round for you once he goes for the ambiguous x-ups. It's important to understand that Bison has an extremely slow jump, and quite easy to punish, so they'll rarely go for that. The listed anti-airs are quite effective at stopping jump attacks, especially my personal favorite (nj.fierce).

Also realize that you're able to duck the headstomps, which causes Bison to fly right over you. Depending on the spacing and your reactions, you're able to punish it. Keep a sharp eye on his super meter, and be wary of throwing sonic booms at the mid-range, otherwise you'll eat a super. He'll have trouble punishing you at full screen to 3/4 screen if you constantly shift the timing of your sonic booms, since you'll recover in time to block. I recommend using hop kicks and sobat kicks to constantly keep yourself at ideal ranges, while maintaining your ability to throw sonic booms.

If Bison decides to go for the headstomp follow-up or devil's reverse to attack you, be aware of your anti-air options. cr.fierce and st.fierce work well if you can time it right, and trades well in your favor, but don't forget about st.forward. A LOT of Guile players don't use this anti-air nearly enough, but it has a decent vertical hit box, and can often stuff Bison if he attacks your centerline.
  • KyouyaKyouya SSF2T Joined: Posts: 173
    Guile c.forward, c.jab and back sobat > dictator s.kicks, s.jab stuffs scissor, jump back fierce to counter stomps.

This is an even match up 5-5, 5.5-4.5 at worst, is all about spacing for both players, the one with the best spacing wins, also the one who knockdown the other one wins too.
    Strike First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy.
  • FourEyesFourEyes ST Bipson <3 Tuesdays. Joined: Posts: 34
    On the Bison wiki it says his crouching Fierce is super cancellable. Has anyone ever pulled off c.Fierce into super? I can't seem to get it.
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    That move is not super cancel able, that was probably a mistake I did months ago, sorry. Fixed.
    I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
    Noob Bipson, here. Some devil's reverse observation:

devil's reverse on still, grounded opponent (without followup attack)
    charging down, then...

1.) jump back +:
    jab: leap away from opponent slowly (minimum height achieved)
    strong: leap away from opponent slowly
    fierce: leap away from opponent slowly (maximum height achieved)

2.) neutral jump +:
    jab: jump over opponents head, landing on other side of them(minimum height achieved)
    strong: jump over opponents head, landing on other side of them
    fierce: jump over opponents head, landing on other side of them(maximum height achieved)

3.) jump forward +:
    jab: fly to opposite side quickly (minimum height achieved)
    strong: fly to opposite side quickly
    fierce: fly to opposite side quickly (maximum height achieved)

I've noticed that every time you do a neutral jump devil's reverse with the same strength button (no followup attack), you end up landing closer to the opponent each time, assuming you don't move after you land.

I think the "safest" application of devil's reverse would be the neutral jump or jump forward version right after the opponent techs a throw. I'd imagine the follow up attack (that you could guide) would end up similar to Claw's wall dive crossup shenanigans.
    Anyone know the trick to doing c.MK into super? I can do both s.MP and c.MP into super, but i can't seem to do it with c.MK. Is negative edge involved?
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    I can imagine the cr.MK is a meaty. Negative edge is just an input technique and won't influence whether a combo will work or not. (Apart from aiding you in getting your special moves out. Unless you press and hold all your button presses, negative edge can always be involved.)

EDIT: Oh, it's super-cancellable? If you're getting accidental Scissor Kicks in stead of the super, try holding down the MK button after you do the cr.MK, so you don't negative edge on the forward input of the super and get a Scissor Kick. If that's not the problem, then I dunno, try different timings I guess.
    Roald Dhalsim
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    If you can cancel cr mk into scissor kicks or psycho crusher, you can cancel into super. Just try harder. I promise it will work.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    I press cr.mk with the middle finger, and immediately press and release the LK for the super input. Works for me.
  • TecmoSuperBowlTecmoSuperBowl Don't look here. Joined: Posts: 423
    SRK, please have a seat and pay attention, I'm about to give you a little lesson…

from crouch: charge d/b, f, b, d/b, d + mk (hold), d/f, f + lk (and/or hk)

1. start the motion from back or crouching defensive state, then towards, then back. That's the easy part.

2. prepare to do a yoga flame motion with two kicks. the first is c. mk (down + mk).
    *hold so you don't get negative edge scissors or kara c. mk into scissors.

3. the second kick activates super. you don't have to roll all the way to forward. it's only annotated that way because it's easy to practice yoga flame motion. you CAN input the second kick at d/f and get c. mk xx super, but it just feels easier rolling to forward. you can even learn to c. mk, d/f, button release super but that's just dumb.
    *do full yoga flame motion.
    *c. mk xx super with lk feels the easiest to plink.
    *if your first kick is pushed at d/f, chances are dict. will just do super.

the inputs are nearly the same as c. mp xx super with the exception of the the ending. with c. mp xx super, you can hit (and hold) the mp @ d/f (since there's no super to be activated with a punch), then plink all kicks.

if you wanted to combo s. lk, s. lk, c. mk xx super, it's easiest to hold onto lk after the first two hits, then do the rest as stated above and plink hk in the end to activate.

Oh, and btw, YOU'RE WELCOME!
    from crouch: charge d/b, f, b, d/b, d + mk (hold), d/f, f + lk (and/or hk)

Nevermind, i got it now. I was trying to negative edge the mk for the super but lk works best. Your version has a lot of extra directional inputs. I'm doing charge d/b into d/f, d/b + mk(hold), then d/f + lk.
    Noob Bipson, here. Some devil's reverse observation:

devil's reverse on still, grounded opponent (without followup attack)
    charging down, then...

1.) jump back +:
    jab: leap away from opponent slowly (minimum height achieved)
    strong: leap away from opponent slowly
    fierce: leap away from opponent slowly (maximum height achieved)

Update: The action of this one depends on your distance from the opponent, i think. In some cases he leaps away, and
    in others he lands right in front of the opponent.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    The YuuVega beatdown series

We've just got another update to the YuuVega beatdown© series, from the amazing supersf2turbo Youtube uploader. What's it, you ask? It's actually pretty simple: one faces YuuVega and takes a free Dictator boot up his own ass for good.

Sashishi:

Tojo:

Tsunoppi:

Pony:

Mattsun:

Hakase (omg, what???):

Who's next?
  • Professor JonesProfessor Jones Joined: Posts: 213
    Great videos indeed, personally I'd like to see him vs Sasori, Hanashi and Numa.
  • othartheomothartheom recovering hyou bal Joined: Posts: 116
    Great videos indeed, personally I'd like to see him vs Sasori, Hanashi and Numa.
    A set vs. Hanashi would be awesome.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,990
    Tips for the Balrog matchup? My main problem are tick happy Rogs that try to out-prioritize me with j.HP/HK and then go for a throw or cr.HK mixup. Standing fierce is too slow for me to use it as an anti-air against Rog's low jump, and the only thing I can think of is diagonal j.MP, which is tricky.

Zoning him with standing HK and MK is hard too because he can beat those pokes with cr.MP or punish their recovery with a dash. Reacting to dashes with scissors usually gives me good results but sometimes they lose to rush uppers, and then you are in okizeme hell.

Other useful bits are appreciated.
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    I think the bigger problem which i just found out yesterday is whiff kick dash -> throw with the whiff kick dash hitting if you jump. I dont play dictator at all but i say try to hit him out of it during his startup/active frames rather than recovery.

Try jumping on reaction to their jump and hitting them or walk under. You have to keep your spacing for this to work obviously
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
    Jump back mp is the best option to counter his jumps, if the distance permits it. If he's jumping from max distance he will have to walk a bit to throw you, in that case you can just block and decide what to do afterwards. In the corner it's generally best to get the hell out with a fierce psycho crusher in reaction to his jump.

Realize that it's also okizeme hell for him when he's on the ground. You can safe jump him and do the usual throw mixup (stand lk, cr mk xx scissors or stand lk, throw). You can also meaty attack him for free with cr mk. Follow it with a throw or another cr mk canceled with scissors.

Using the safe close lk tick is also powerful, especially after blocked scissors (provided you end up at a safe distance). When he techs your throws you can go for safe close lk too, or do a devil reverse while he's still in the air. Then if you see him charge, steer away from him and counter the head butt when you land. If he's not charging, try to hit him with the DR, taking advantage of its ambiguous crossup properties. If he blocks it you are still in an advantageous position for another throw mixup.
    There's this loop which he has to take damage to escape.*

*I believe YuuVega predicted the escape attempt and used Jab Psycho Crusher to land on the same side and maintain Tsuji in the corner. Because of that, he had to try the reversal throw - which failed - or he would have to take the hit again.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,990
    Thanks for the tips. I really have to practice my okizeme against Rog; too many lost matches because I miss my crossup due to his wacky hitbox and then die to throws.
  • SotoSoto The un-safe jump master. ~FrankieSnow~ Joined: Posts: 244
    Is this combo autocorrect scissor? at 17 : 32
  • ExposedDExposedD Persona 5 Joined: Posts: 6,228
    i play the honda match better than that FORT guy
    Persona 5
  • SotoSoto The un-safe jump master. ~FrankieSnow~ Joined: Posts: 244
    i play the honda match better than that FORT guy
    you wish nOOb!
    Thanks for the tips. I really have to practice my okizeme against Rog; too many lost matches because I miss my crossup due to his wacky hitbox and then die to throws.

Personally I rarely cross him up, instead I just go for a safe jump lk followed by the basic mixup.
    Is this combo autocorrect scissor? at 17 : 32]

Yes, it often happens in this scenario, the player was holding back while pressing lk. I think It's corner dependent, but I haven't investigated this in detail.
  • KyouyaKyouya SSF2T Joined: Posts: 173
    Yup, it autocorrects like prof jones said. I usually do it by mistake trying to land the s.short going for the 3 s.short, s.rh combo.
    Strike First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,569

Yes and no. Watch yuuvega VS tojo match from 1:50; you see it again but same side. Basically, if you are surprised that a knee press comes out rather than a psycho crusher or a normal, that means you negative edged the knee press.
  • zaspacerzaspacer Joined: Posts: 553
    Personally I rarely cross him up, instead I just go for a safe jump lk followed by the basic mixup.

What worked for me learning the Rog cross-up spacing/timing was to use the HDR Training mode.

First, set the speed on slow, turn hitboxes on, and just watch the shape and timing of his hitbox on wake-up. Its shape is really tall and really thin, like a skyscraper. And it's timing seems kinda late, as you'll see it "pop" into existence after he gets up. This tells you that you need to be (1) very high up and (2) just barely behind his head. It kinda feels like you're jumping a little later and hitting your attack much shallower in your arc than most safe jumps.

Now you can change the HDR training mode to normal speed, and work on fishing for that spot. Keeping in mind that his hit box seems to pop up kinda late and it's very thin, so if you're missing it's either your arc is too deep (and you're missing the active hitbox) or you attack is too early (and you're striking before the hitbox is up).

Dee Jay's hitbox's properties are very similar to Rog's.
    streetfighterdojo.com - video library of top players
    The YuuVega Beatdown series is over. Muteki = lamer! :'(
    YuuVega vs Tepei (Guile)
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2013
    want to do fancy super combo like rizone?
    here's a slow mo replay at 4m20s

youtube video link
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
    edited July 2013
    Interesting finding man! I did 2 quick tests (against chun/cammy) and it indeed works.
    I may be wrong but I believe that its the first active frame on close strong that has that special property. I wonder why exactly its possible only on these specific situations though.
    Close Strong Hitboxes:
    MBison_stclstrng1%264_stfarstrng1%264_stclfrc1%264_stfarfrc1%264.pngMBison_stclstrng2.pngMBison_stclstrng3_stfarstrng3_stclfrc3.pngMBison_stclstrng1%264_stfarstrng1%264_stclfrc1%264_stfarfrc1%264.png
    Far Strong Hitboxes:
    MBison_stclstrng1%264_stfarstrng1%264_stclfrc1%264_stfarfrc1%264.pngMBison_stfarstrng2_stclfrc2_stfarfrc2.pngMBison_stclstrng3_stfarstrng3_stclfrc3.pngMBison_stclstrng1%264_stfarstrng1%264_stclfrc1%264_stfarfrc1%264.png
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • RelinquishedRelinquished Joined: Posts: 3
    From the research I mentioned above I believe it's something to do with those characters lower hit boxes.

What I mean is the blue box which dictates the low, mid, and head section of each character. The low section of the characters mentioned stick out further than their mid sections. I believe this means, given the right conditions, close standing strong (due to the low hit box) will connect with the 'low' section of the characters before it is able to connect with the mid section; resulting in it hitting low.

I'm not an expert on the games mechanics so I'm sure someone else could shed further light on this.

Thank you for the hitbox diagrams Born2SPD. From there you can see that the bottom right corner of close standing strong is down by dictators knee. This is the corner which seems to connect before the rest of the hitbox in the situations mentioned.

This discovery is just another reason I love this game. All these years on and still there is new 'technology' to be found.
    From the research I mentioned above I believe it's something to do with those characters lower hit boxes.

What I mean is the blue box which dictates the low, mid, and head section of each character. The low section of the characters mentioned stick out further than their mid sections. I believe this means, given the right conditions, close standing strong (due to the low hit box) will connect with the 'low' section of the characters before it is able to connect with the mid section; resulting in it hitting low.
    You are on the right direction.

If you are only hit in the low section, you can not block while standing. This is why Sim's drills often hit players who are standing, for example. There also a list of list of Ryu combos I posted years ago which included characters who may get hit by cr.Strong while standing - from the proper distance, of course.

edited August 2013
    Just wanted to say that i've put that info on close strong being a low hitting move on the wiki:
    Link to wiki
    Hey, I'm not sure if this is known already... but i'll post it anyway since i never heard anyone talking about it.
    Just discovered right now while getting the damage data to put on the wiki that for Devil Reverse, the second Punch press determines the damage BUT not how long the recovery will be. This is actually determined by the first punch press, and that's actually the only thing it determines (AFAIK)...
    So, you should always activate the move with Jab, and then use Fierce for the punch, this way you'll get the fastest recovery possible and the biggest damage possible...
    Apparently, these slipped through us all:

Long distance Psycho Crusher

Knee Press Nightmare from behind

Safe jumps against Ryu
    For the knee press into super, is he simply switching charge directions as he crosses over, or somehow charging it in time by the time he lands?
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 446
    ^ Will find out, right now I'm figuring it out at work.
    One trick I learned from Taira was he would do that same devil reverse in safe jump without crossup on his opponent then super them. A surprise tactic.
    Pulled it off after 30+ tries. charge DB to UF then back forward on the opposite direction as you land. I did it in mid screen. Timing is hard -_-
    7 5 0 wrote: »
    Pulled it off after 30+ tries. charge DB to UF then back forward on the opposite direction as you land. I did it in mid screen. Timing is hard -_-

Ah, I figured that would be the case. Looks very difficult to pull off, and I rarely see it used in a practical setting. The regular fake jump into super thing is fairly common and considerably easier to do.

I've always wondered why switching charge sides was always much more difficult than storing a charge while switching sides, e.g. Honda and Chun's store glitches. Storing supers must allow more lenient timing for when the game decides to drop charge once you move the stick away from a down or back position. This must be what allows them to neutral jump before going into their supers.
    Idk how the JP players do it so fluidly. my nephew told me he met a top player from Japan and described how the players there would break nights in their homes or until the arcades close just to consistently master the moves.
    They're really that dedicated to mastering and discovering ways to achieve that objective. They make us Americans look retarded XD
    Idk how the JP players do it so fluidly. my nephew told me he met a top player from Japan and described how the players there would break nights in their homes or until the arcades close just to consistently master the moves.
    They're really that dedicated to mastering and discovering ways to achieve that objective. They make us Americans look retarded XD

Their primary advantage is close proximity to one another, superior public transit, and available arcade cab setups. They are quite literally in the best possible place to excel in the fighting game scene, so it's no surprise that their skill level, as a whole, is much higher.

Meanwhile, here in America, all our best players live extremely far from one another, we generally have to drive or take slow transit to get together, we only have a handful of arcade-perfect setups in the whole country, and our arcade scene is pretty much on life support in even the best settings. The only glimpse we have of the Japanese experience is when we get together at Evo once a year, and that's not NEARLY enough practice to make up for how much the Japanese play together.
    Agreed they're conveniently close together in major cities.
    Here in my neck of the woods, arcades/bars are popping up randomly. one is about to open in a couple days called Barcade and see which SF2 cab is going to be there.

Can't beat drinks and video games together in one place at least for me!
    Agreed they're conveniently close together in major cities.
    Here in my neck of the woods, arcades/bars are popping up randomly. one is about to open in a couple days called Barcade and see which SF2 cab is going to be there.

Can't beat drinks and video games together in one place at least for me!

Yeah, barcades are definitely on the rise since last year. We've got a few of them sprinkled all over the place, and they're doing VERY well for themselves. Eighty-Two in Little Tokyo in LA is so popular on Friday/Saturday that there's an actual 45min-1hour wait to get in. They've got a nice HF cab paired up with a projector that shows matches above the bar, so you can watch while you drink. Plus, I hear they've got a lot of OGs coming out to play the game and they're not half bad.

Even in San Diego, they're running monthly HF tournaments at a place called Coin-Op. It's a nice little hipster bar in north SD, but they've got great drinks, a wide selection of machines from all different eras, and quite popular.