Bison (dictator) Thread

Comments

• -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    well, I prefer higher damage over more active frames, fierce spd pretty much all the time
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    I use this in HDR with Hawk to higher my chances of getting the spd. I piano from HP down to LP. I still neg edge just because habit, but there really isn't any benefit of doing that in HDR.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568

This guy's youtube channel hibernated for a while but he recently uploaded some video using hitbox viewer and also a few old school Japanese ST basic walk through of each characters (just all the special moves + 1 combo).

http://www.youtube.com/user/mnemosyne32/videos?view=0
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • othartheomothartheom recovering hyou bal Joined: Posts: 116
    Nice find on the TY channel. Saving now

Lot of this industrial type music on the videos reminds me of 90s arcade. Not sure why though. I just see some angsty kid wearing a KMFDM shirt playing KI when I hear some of this stuff...
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    Thats very basic stuff... but still nice nonetheless.
    I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,164
    A small option select against Vega I found (which may be common knowledge): on his wakeup do crossup HK/MK, then d+HK immediately afterwards. If he blocked or got hit the slide doesn't come out and you can follow up with a combo or whatever, but if Vega attempts to reversal with backflip the slide will track him down and hit him automatically.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,722

Pretty good tutorial vid on basic stuff you all probably know. But it's great advice for new and intermediate players, and I actually like the basic production value of the video. I love how the music reminds me of that Tomo tape made back in the 90s, or the end credits soundtrack to every 80s action movie ever made.
  • JizzonJizzon ...or Thenarus, whichever. Joined: Posts: 650
    In case anyone was ever curious why Dictator's short head stomp has so much better priority than the other two versions, here's why.

For all hitboxes, there are a set of four bytes; two of them are vertical and horizontal size, and two of them are vertical and horizontal position. Three of the values are identical between all versions of the move (both sizes, and horizontal position). However, the values for forward and roundhouse are 10 for the vertical position, and got fat-fingered to 01 on the short version.

Since these are hex values, that's a difference of 15 pixels, shifted downward. That's why his stomp hitbox is so low.
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    if you haven't subscribed yet, you should.
    this japanese guy keep posting tutorials that are of very high production value, and he's making the subtitle in english.
    these remind me of the ones made by giga msx, too bad he was upset at something and took all of his videos off youtube :(

i don't know what drives him to work on these, it seems to be time consuming to create. but i'm grateful regardless

he doesn't main dictator and he's doing these for fun.

if you all can subscribe, click "like" and/or leave him a positive comment, hopefully it will encourage him to keep doing and maybe extend to other characters as well!
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
    I'm surprised he doesn't main dictator, considering how many dictator-related videos he's put out in recent weeks. It's all very good information, and some of it which is quite new to me. I have no idea Dictator could easily cr.forward Hawk's j.jab to beat him clean, but there must be a way for Hawk to get around that.

Also, I'm pretty sure st.fierce is useful against Hawk as well, since it usually trades in his favor, and is another useful AA tool to keep Hawk from starting his typhoon loops.
  • KyouyaKyouya SSF2T Joined: Posts: 173
    I'm surprised he doesn't main dictator, considering how many dictator-related videos he's put out in recent weeks. It's all very good information, and some of it which is quite new to me. I have no idea Dictator could easily cr.forward Hawk's j.jab to beat him clean, but there must be a way for Hawk to get around that.

Also, I'm pretty sure st.fierce is useful against Hawk as well, since it usually trades in his favor, and is another useful AA tool to keep Hawk from starting his typhoon loops.
    Indeed, hawk j.jab and j.short can't hit dictator if he's crouching, you can sit and do nothing and you will not get hit, i think this work with blanka and cammy too, but im not sure.

S.fierce is good against the other hawk jump ins but need spacing, it beats hawk j.fierce clean with the correct spacing if not it will trade, but is a little harder to use against hawk than gief.
    Strike First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy.
    Standing jab and fierce are very risky against Gief IMO. Both moves should be used with moderation. As Zangief you can just whiff an aerial RH and grab bison with a SPD when landing. (Similar to Blanka's Standing strong as anti air)
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
    Indeed, hawk j.jab and j.short can't hit dictator if he's crouching, you can sit and do nothing and you will not get hit, i think this work with blanka and cammy too, but im not sure.

S.fierce is good against the other hawk jump ins but need spacing, it beats hawk j.fierce clean with the correct spacing if not it will trade, but is a little harder to use against hawk than gief.

I'd be impressed if it worked against Cammy and Blanka as well. I know very few moves that can trip guard Blanka's j.fierce or Cammy's j.strong, two of the best air-to-ground moves in the game.

So would you say the Dic v. Hawk match is even or bison favored? I still imagine that the matchup is quite a grind, considering that Hawk is still able to sako tick him few reliable ways of escaping other than his super. From what I saw of match footage, it seems difficult to lock down Dic in typhoon loops since he's somehow able to j.strong quite a lot of the time in order to escape.

Is this related to that weird glitch where sometimes you'll try to combo Dic off of a j.attack, and he'll somehow bounce out of it, even though it should've been a combo? Does he have some weird frame data to his jump, like fewer pre-jump frames?
    Standing jab and fierce are very risky against Gief IMO. Both moves should be used with moderation. As Zangief you can just whiff an aerial RH and grab bison with a SPD when landing. (Similar to Blanka's Standing strong as anti air)

So would a combination of using st.jab and cr.forward against a jumping Gief be effective? I would take some pretty solid reactions in order to identify whether or not Gief whiffed an air attack to go for the grab, but at least at a theoretical level, Bison should be able to defend against jump attacks fairly well.
    I'd be impressed if it worked against Cammy and Blanka as well. I know very few moves that can trip guard Blanka's j.fierce or Cammy's j.strong, two of the best air-to-ground moves in the game.

So would you say the Dic v. Hawk match is even or bison favored? I still imagine that the matchup is quite a grind, considering that Hawk is still able to sako tick him few reliable ways of escaping other than his super. From what I saw of match footage, it seems difficult to lock down Dic in typhoon loops since he's somehow able to j.strong quite a lot of the time in order to escape.

Is this related to that weird glitch where sometimes you'll try to combo Dic off of a j.attack, and he'll somehow bounce out of it, even though it should've been a combo? Does he have some weird frame data to his jump, like fewer pre-jump frames?

So would a combination of using st.jab and cr.forward against a jumping Gief be effective? I would take some pretty solid reactions in order to identify whether or not Gief whiffed an air attack to go for the grab, but at least at a theoretical level, Bison should be able to defend against jump attacks fairly well.

No, hawk vs bison is bison favored i'll say 6-4, but if you ask me about ohawk vs bison, thats another history, i'll say 6-4 hawk side (some dictator players say this match is even worse).

You pointed the problem with the match, a lot of good hawk players try to sako tick dictator and thats a nono, for me thats a good thing because i can escape the set up and frustrate the hawk player, eventually he will start losing a lot more than he should, however if the hawk player just tick dictator with c.forward or c.strong you can loop him and i can't do nothing but die.

Bison has the less prejump frames of all the characters, i don't know the data exactly but i think those are 3 or 4 frames, thats why like you said, there are a lot of bison players who just hold jump backward when they are getting comboed, if you miss time your combo the next hit will hit an aerial bison and it will not combo.

Against gief i use almost everything to anti air him, s.fierce, s.jab. s.forward and roundhouse, c.forward, jump neutral roundhouse and fierce, j.strong of course and heck sometimes the slide works. It depends of the situation, like you said you need your good reactions to select the correct anti air for every situation, and don't forget that some of them only works with the correct spacing, if you screw it... well you are dead.

Hope it helps.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Gief's aerial attacks do not have good priority: his only real advantage is having a short jump arc, which can make his jumps hard to react to, IMHO. Dictator can punish/trade jump-ins with several attacks of his. Neutral RH and Strong, diagonal Strong, diagonal RH, cr.Fwd, st.Jab/RH/Fierce, Psycho Crusher, etc. If Gief is close, Dictator can just use any standing move and sac-throw, too. As for Hawk, diagonal Strong would probably beat anything Hawk tries, if the player reacts fast enough. Each successful attack should give Dictator a cross-up chance, which is particularly hard to miss against Hawk.

Edit: nvrm, Kyouya beat me to it.
    No, hawk vs bison is bison favored i'll say 6-4, but if you ask me about ohawk vs bison, thats another history, i'll say 6-4 hawk side (some dictator players say this match is even worse).

You pointed the problem with the match, a lot of good hawk players try to sako tick dictator and thats a nono, for me thats a good thing because i can escape the set up and frustrate the hawk player, eventually he will start losing a lot more than he should, however if the hawk player just tick dictator with c.forward or c.strong you can loop him and i can't do nothing but die.

Bison has the less prejump frames of all the characters, i don't know the data exactly but i think those are 3 or 4 frames, thats why like you said, there are a lot of bison players who just hold jump backward when they are getting comboed, if you miss time your combo the next hit will hit an aerial bison and it will not combo.

Against gief i use almost everything to anti air him, s.fierce, s.jab. s.forward and roundhouse, c.forward, jump neutral roundhouse and fierce, j.strong of course and heck sometimes the slide works. It depends of the situation, like you said you need your good reactions to select the correct anti air for every situation, and don't forget that some of them only works with the correct spacing, if you screw it... well you are dead.

Hope it helps.

Good answers. Good God I need to play you. I keep getting wrecked by Bison's in tournaments and I'm getting sick and tired of losing in tournaments due to me not having enough matchup experience against half the cast. This is the third time (including Evo) that I've lost to Bisons and I have no clue what to do against the guy. I think it's due to the fact that I rely on my zoning ability to win most of my matchups, and you can't zone Bison in the traditional way that you would a Chun, Guile, or Deejay.

I had a feeling he had less prejump frames. I was watching geo v. Papercut and I noticed that he kept reliably escaping the typhoon loop except in the corner. This also explains why Bison would bounce out of combos. Good shit.

One last thing. The following is what I learned from talking to Zaspacer. I know Bison's j.forward or j.short (that knee thing) doesn't seem to be able to cross-up shotos. I always have to block the regular direction, and then change block directions, since he lands on the other side of me. If a Bison can space out a j.roundhouse, it will ambiguously cross-up, but it seems difficult to do this. Is this right? Is there any way to reliable way to guard against this? Uppercut? Spin kick? Or do I just have to guess and be lucky?
    One last thing. The following is what I learned from talking to Zaspacer. I know Bison's j.forward or j.short (that knee thing) doesn't seem to be able to cross-up shotos. I always have to block the regular direction, and then change block directions, since he lands on the other side of me. If a Bison can space out a j.roundhouse, it will ambiguously cross-up, but it seems difficult to do this. Is this right? Is there any way to reliable way to guard against this? Uppercut? Spin kick? Or do I just have to guess and be lucky?
    Dictator is a MU I have trouble with, too, specially in lag. As for the cross-up, SRK is definitely a no-no: you get hit on the head and eat the full dizzy combo. I use ↓↘→←+kicks against it.
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547
    a lot of good hawk players try to sako tick dictator and thats a nono

Could you elaborate on this? At X-Mania I played against Professor Jones' Dictator a couple of times and I managed to beat him two times in a row by Sako ticking him up and down the screen. Though I did have some trouble recently trying to loop Dictator with that...
    Roald Dhalsim
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    Could you elaborate on this? At X-Mania I played against Professor Jones' Dictator a couple of times and I managed to beat him two times in a row by Sako ticking him up and down the screen. Though I did have some trouble recently trying to loop Dictator with that...

djfrijoles fun fact:

prof jones has always wanted to taste frijoles lol. ask him about it
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
    I don't really know him though. X-Mania Europe 3 is happening next year, get that plane ticket fry-jo-lees!
    Roald Dhalsim
    You can sako tick dictator no problem but let me ask you this, why do you sako a character with no reversal? The way i see it is just like taking the hard way just to obtain the same result.

The problem is not the sako tick itself. What im trying to point out is that dictator can eat the s.jab and be airborne after the jab hits because he have the less prejump frames, so the typhoon will not come out and you can escape sako attemps by doing just that.

Im not a hawk player, but isn't easier just to tick dictator the regular way? by doing c.strong or c.forward and then typhoon also pressing your buttons instead of releasing them, that way you will get more inputs and chances to typhoon, you really don't need the safe typhoon (sako tick) because dictator doesn't have reversal.

EDIT: frijoles just pointed me out whats the problem with this and is the muscle memory, if thats correct then forget my post, you will do the hard way always.
    Can't Dictator use reversal Jab Psycho Crusher to mess up Hawk's timing and delay the moment the tick occurs?
    Can't Dictator use reversal Jab Psycho Crusher to mess up Hawk's timing and delay the moment the tick occurs?

After watching geo player Papercut, it seems like it's difficult to lock down Dic with Sako ticks. He jumped out with j.strong maybe 80% of the time when Paper went for max range Sako ticks.

I thought Psycho can be grabbed in its startup frames? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    After watching geo player Papercut, it seems like it's difficult to lock down Dic with Sako ticks. He jumped out with j.strong maybe 80% of the time when Paper went for max range Sako ticks.

It has up to 3 frames of invulnerability (Jab version). After that, it stays on the ground for a few frames. The Fierce version, on the other hand, only has one frame of invulnerability. However, it has just 3 grounded frames.

The idea is to use it on wake-up, as the Hawk player has his hand waiting for you, as a meaty. For this, the Jab version is the best one, since it has more invulnerability frames - grounded frames don't matter here. It will make contact 3 frames later, so the whole 270 motion should also be delayed by 3 frames. In addition to it, Hawk's hand is only active for 4 frames. This makes it so that the Hawk player must be precise with his tick, else it will miss.

that was only in the corner because I was trying to 720 and the ps3 safe jump timing was fucked up. mid screen walk up 360 sako's was 100%. Geo can confirm. every tick I missed was 720.

After doing spd's with negative edge for so long, regular button press spds seem really weird now unless its for dp option selects. has to do with muscle memory and timing.

All of bisons moves have ground start up frames so everything can be grabbed out of.
    Ah shit..    
    Hm, the only thing I can think of NOT to use cr.strong/forward as a tick is that you have to be within Dic's throw range to use it. He could do a throw on his wakeup.
    Psycho Crusher can be grabbed, yes. You will hear the sound of the flame, but he will be thrown. I don't think it'll mess up the timing of a tick either, but I'm not sure about that now.

EDIT: Wow, I guess I have a lot of startup frames in my posts. 3 new replies before I managed to enter mine.
    Roald Dhalsim
    It has up to 3 frames of invulnerability (Jab version). After that, it stays on the ground for a few frames. The Fierce version, on the other hand, only has one frame of invulnerability. However, it has just 3 grounded frames.

The idea is to use it on wake-up, as the Hawk player has his hand waiting for you, as a meaty. For this, the Jab version is the best one, since it has more invulnerability frames - grounded frames don't matter here. It will make contact 3 frames later, so the whole 270 motion should also be delayed by 3 frames. In addition to it, Hawk's hand is only active for 4 frames. This makes it so that the Hawk player must be precise with his tick, else it will miss.

Does bisons lp pc have longer invulnerability than o ryu's lk tatsu?
    Ah shit..    
    Bisons jab crusher has 3 frames, ryu's tatsu has 4.
    I see. I've never had a problem with bisons PC messing up the tick timing. Ryu's tatsu was a bit tricky at first, but I got that timing down now.
    Ah shit..    
    I see. I've never had a problem with bisons PC messing up the tick timing. Ryu's tatsu was a bit tricky at first, but I got that timing down now.

Oh Lord, I know that to be true. All I can do to fuck up your timing is short spin kicks, and hope I catch you off guard.
    Oh Lord, I know that to be true. All I can do to fuck up your timing is short spin kicks, and hope I catch you off guard.

Yeah, stop doing that please.
    I've never had a Dictator mess me up with reversal PC. When I go to the arcade on Saturday I'll try to test it with my friend there. He's got a pretty solid Dic. ;)
    Roald Dhalsim
    Yeah, stop doing that please.

There's literally no other option to counter the Sako tick besides hoping he messes up the execution. Uppercuts aren't as effective since it's pretty easy to start the tick throw loop to punish. spin kick will at least catch him off guard either by him not punishing you as you fly away, or at least giving you a weak mix-up whereby he has to either guess if you're going to uppercut, throw, block string, or block to bait the uppercut.
  • BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,997
    Looking for some advice for my friend regarding the footsie game of dictator vs guile. He can't seem to find any pokes against my dictator. My best advice is to play outside dictator's poke range and whiff punish and maintain charge. I feel like he's playing too close and needs to work the 2/3 screen distance more waiting for greedy jumps. But what about when I walk up pressure him, does he have anything to combat standing forward or roundhouse?
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
  • blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    Looking for some advice for my friend regarding the footsie game of dictator vs guile. He can't seem to find any pokes against my dictator. My best advice is to play outside dictator's poke range and whiff punish and maintain charge. I feel like he's playing too close and needs to work the 2/3 screen distance more waiting for greedy jumps. But what about when I walk up pressure him, does he have anything to combat standing forward or roundhouse?

Best weapon Guile has against Bison's pokes is Sonic Boom. Guile can also use crouch Forward, though Bison can beat it with his own crouch Forward, also Guile can use psychic Somersault to catch Bison if he's close enough, but it's risky. The best thing to use is Sonic Boom for sure.

Even though Bison can trade Roundhouse with Sonic Boom in his favor, Guile can eventually push him out and force him to block the Booms or jump them or Headstomp, all of which is what Guile wants him to do. If he jumps Guile can use crouch Fierce, far Strong, crouch Forward, Sweep, back Sobat depending on the range. If he Headstomps, it's tricky cuz fast Booms can catch him while he's rising into the air, and if he makes it, then Guile will have to swtich from constant Booms to jumping attacks or Somersault to beat the Stomps.
    Blitz did a pretty good job explaining it. Ideally you want to keep yourself at that range where you're outside Bison's poke range, but able to throw a fast sonic boom. Zoning Bison here is the key, if you don't, and you allow him to knock you down, it can turn out to be a pretty quick round for you once he goes for the ambiguous x-ups. It's important to understand that Bison has an extremely slow jump, and quite easy to punish, so they'll rarely go for that. The listed anti-airs are quite effective at stopping jump attacks, especially my personal favorite (nj.fierce).

Also realize that you're able to duck the headstomps, which causes Bison to fly right over you. Depending on the spacing and your reactions, you're able to punish it. Keep a sharp eye on his super meter, and be wary of throwing sonic booms at the mid-range, otherwise you'll eat a super. He'll have trouble punishing you at full screen to 3/4 screen if you constantly shift the timing of your sonic booms, since you'll recover in time to block. I recommend using hop kicks and sobat kicks to constantly keep yourself at ideal ranges, while maintaining your ability to throw sonic booms.

If Bison decides to go for the headstomp follow-up or devil's reverse to attack you, be aware of your anti-air options. cr.fierce and st.fierce work well if you can time it right, and trades well in your favor, but don't forget about st.forward. A LOT of Guile players don't use this anti-air nearly enough, but it has a decent vertical hit box, and can often stuff Bison if he attacks your centerline.
    Guile c.forward, c.jab and back sobat > dictator s.kicks, s.jab stuffs scissor, jump back fierce to counter stomps.

This is an even match up 5-5, 5.5-4.5 at worst, is all about spacing for both players, the one with the best spacing wins, also the one who knockdown the other one wins too.
  • FourEyesFourEyes ST Bipson <3 Tuesdays. Joined: Posts: 34
    On the Bison wiki it says his crouching Fierce is super cancellable. Has anyone ever pulled off c.Fierce into super? I can't seem to get it.
    That move is not super cancel able, that was probably a mistake I did months ago, sorry. Fixed.
  • FourEyesFourEyes ST Bipson <3 Tuesdays. Joined: Posts: 34
    Noob Bipson, here. Some devil's reverse observation:

devil's reverse on still, grounded opponent (without followup attack)
    charging down, then...

1.) jump back +:
    jab: leap away from opponent slowly (minimum height achieved)
    strong: leap away from opponent slowly
    fierce: leap away from opponent slowly (maximum height achieved)

2.) neutral jump +:
    jab: jump over opponents head, landing on other side of them(minimum height achieved)
    strong: jump over opponents head, landing on other side of them
    fierce: jump over opponents head, landing on other side of them(maximum height achieved)

3.) jump forward +:
    jab: fly to opposite side quickly (minimum height achieved)
    strong: fly to opposite side quickly
    fierce: fly to opposite side quickly (maximum height achieved)

I've noticed that every time you do a neutral jump devil's reverse with the same strength button (no followup attack), you end up landing closer to the opponent each time, assuming you don't move after you land.

I think the "safest" application of devil's reverse would be the neutral jump or jump forward version right after the opponent techs a throw. I'd imagine the follow up attack (that you could guide) would end up similar to Claw's wall dive crossup shenanigans.