Chun Li General Thread: Blue Jade

Gross_IndecencyGross_Indecency S NocturnalJoined: Posts: 1,019
edited February 2016 in Chun-Li
468px-ChunLi.jpg

As Ryu and Chun were the first to be revealed no one created a seperate thread for them. So here is the Chun discussion thread.

I'm guessing most mainers will stick to her as she really plays really unique and now she has new tools and many changes (Lighting Kicks became a motion move!)

So, let's discuss.

11063586_10153447936507147_1762191958203784244_n.jpg?oh=19742752fc2a1d44e49f18377e7bf544&oe=56045471
Post edited by jchensor on

Comments

• amrraedamrraed Bombeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Joined: Posts: 4,625
    My God the pose in that artwork is alluring. I do like the direction that they are taking her in with this game. I like the idea of the charge with motion legs and she seem to be the fast rushdown character in the game even if her damage as of now seems a bit lower than the rest especially Nash :smile: .

Looks and style wise this is my favorite version of Chun Li in a very long time. I probably would pick her up as a secondary but i am really liking what i am seeing with her.
    Street Fighter 5 : Chun-Li, R.Mika, Juri (MIA) We Kolin now.
    Marvel Infinte :Morrigan/Thor , Ultron/Zero , X/Jedah.
    Injustice 2 : Wonder Woman, Superman. haven' touched since July.
    Tekken 7 : Lars, Katarina, Master Raven. sold that shit.
    PSN ID : moraelgamed
    CFN: Thxymora
    Yes, i play T7 and I2 and i still like SF5 more than both of them, sue me.
  • Maria CroftMaria Croft Joined: Posts: 925
    I'm really happy to see her legs are a motion command this time around, same as her CA.
    That small hop means she will be played much more offensively, which I like.
    With her EX SBK and V-Reversal she might even have some solid defense.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,427
    This looks like 3S-Chun mixed with the best parts of SFxT-Chun and a command jump added into the mix. That's like, the two best and most fun versions of Chun with a additional offensive tool.

We've only been shown four characters thus far, so I'm wary of announcing that I'll play her, but damn. She looks pretty effin' fun in this game.
  • Gross_IndecencyGross_Indecency S Nocturnal Joined: Posts: 1,019
    edited June 2015
    The only problem I've seen so far is that, I think, non-ex SPK is again useless. I'm pretty sure I've never seen it being comboed. The only instances I've seen it were when it's blocked, whiffed or hit airborne opponents. And you could tell it's again very slow.
    We don't know what it does if you fully land it. Does it cause KD or juggle or what? But it has to give the player a reason for not canceling into LL but into SPK if you can combo it from normals.
    Of course, I may be wrong. Somebody please show me an example of her landing it if I overlooked something.

There are things that were lacking from the older videos:
    1-I've recognised that her multi-hitting punch normal is absent from all the yesterday's IGN gameplay videos.
    The one we see here at 0:23:

2- And we also never see her b+mk during these new videos.

Of course these could be because the players never hit those buttons as a pure coincidence. But I find that hard to believe as they obviously mash everything during those gameplays.
  • Soul7Soul7 Joined: Posts: 485
    Probably my main in SFV.
    Unless they bring back Skullo Mania.
    Want Arika (a.k.a SF EX) characters in SF5?
    Like this page: https://www.facebook.com/ArikaCharactersForStreetFighterV
    Or Sign this Petition: https://www.change.org/p/yoshinori-ono-team-street-fighter-v-petition-arika-characters-for-street-fighter-v
    Petition for Capcom to buy the Arika characters' license in order to hopefully include some as DLC in SFV.
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    She was always my go to character after Dictator (and Urien in 3s) so I am very with her changes and that she still remains somewhat of a charge character. She kinda looks op actually with her insane pressure.
  • learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 818
    I'm not a fan of her new doll face. Just feels too fake looking to me, I liked her old face better.
    Mend and Defend

SF5: Fighter Tag: Learis1
    main char: Ryu
    avg lp: 2000

SF4: main char: Fei Long
  • YunityYunity Joined: Posts: 468
    edited June 2015
    She might also have retained her retarded kara-throw in this game as well:

http://postimg.org/image/6j49cgg3l/

Then she reversals. This is the first frame out of hit stun I think:

http://postimg.org/image/7cvipatkt/
    Daigo wrote:
    Yun’s awoken to Satsui no Hado. In many ways. Or maybe I should say he couldn’t keep from awakening.”
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    learis1 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of her new doll face. Just feels too fake looking to me, I liked her old face better.

They are trying to appeal to the moronic waifu crowd.
  • RayartzRayartz Hosenka Reversal Yo! Joined: Posts: 1,792
    This video gives a pretty fair idea what she can do in SFV:

In other videos it doesn't appear she can link anything after LLegs and so far we haven't seen anyone "extend" the LLegs either.
    For example in SFxTk you would do her motion LLegs and you could tap out extended Legs with additional kick buttons.
    It is interesting to note that the LLegs are cancelable into her Critical Art; makes me wonder if LLegs can be canceled into EX LLegs for additional damage on hit confirms as an example they were in SF4 but not in SFxTk.

St. Mp looks quick and has a nice reach - not quite like SF4's but not as short as 3S, looks to be in-between
    If it is still special cancelable we should still have access to moves such as Cr. Lp, Cr.lp, St. Mp xx Kikouken

HSU appears in other videos but the usefulness has me squinting eerily at it, we'll have to see what different strengths looks like.

Cr.Hp can cancel after the second hit, which is interesting. I dunno if you can cancel the first hit or not, but may not have too.

V-Skill has me interested although it doesn't appear to be good for going over fireballs, which sucks considering zoning can be nullified by Nash's, parried by Ryu's and sent back to your face by Bison.

I haven't seen anyone use D/F Lk yet as an Anti-Air, which looked solid in promo videos.

Sadly I won't be attending SDCC this year to try it out. Anyone here want suggestions on trying things hit me up.

Chun Li, Juri and Laura - Loyalty for LIFE!
    SFV Goals: To be competent with every character and help others do the same!
    Overwatch: Tracer, D.Va, Junkrat, Mercy, Mei
  • Soul7Soul7 Joined: Posts: 485
    So glad they reduced her thigh muscles.
    In SFIV they looked ridiculously huge...
    Want Arika (a.k.a SF EX) characters in SF5?
    Like this page: https://www.facebook.com/ArikaCharactersForStreetFighterV
    Or Sign this Petition: https://www.change.org/p/yoshinori-ono-team-street-fighter-v-petition-arika-characters-for-street-fighter-v
    Petition for Capcom to buy the Arika characters' license in order to hopefully include some as DLC in SFV.
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,364
    How do you guys think she stands so far in comparison to SF4? Stronger or weaker?
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,970 mod
    If the bit about her normals being SFIII strong is true, then I'd say stronger.

On a related note, when her CA hits, someone should randomly shout "Let's go Justin".
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,934
    edited June 2015

Look at Chun's win pose at 2:13. It is so fucking ugly. It looks so awkward and she's all wobbly and shit. My god, SF5 is SOOOOOO much nicer.
  • bypostmanbypostman Joined: Posts: 2,207
    Didn't know she had chinese in her english voice
  • Super SonicSuper Sonic Joined: Posts: 1,541
    All I can say is, she's sexier than ever! And that's coming from someone who hated her in A3, 3S and IV.
    Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!
  • Super SonicSuper Sonic Joined: Posts: 1,541
    d3v wrote: »

On a related note, when her CA hits, someone should randomly shout "Let's go Justin".

Why not let them do that when Ryu parries all of the hits? :D
    Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!
    I've been noticing in further watching of videos that her Jumping HP TC, which could usually be followed by stomps, doesn't seem to put the opponent in a slow fall juggle state like in SF4 or SFxTk.

It is possible that Stomps can't be done after TCHP, unless you just have to hit the stomps really late.
    But if stomps aren't possible maybe Ex SBK or other moves will be possible.

I'd really like to see a legit use for that Odd looking Cl. St. Hk where she practically kicks straight up. So far I haven't seen it hit. Potential Anti Air? Potential stupid move? lol.... I dunno but I like the Knee to the face Cl.St.HK in SF4 so this one needs to impress me somehow.
  • quicksquicks Joined: Posts: 3,280
    mykka wrote: »
    How do you guys think she stands so far in comparison to SF4? Stronger or weaker?
    Its hard to say, one thing that kept Chun down in certain match ups was she lost heavily to vortex and people who could change their jump arc .Now with Vortex being gone and heavily shunned , she will likely get a chance to play her game more often, but thats just on system alone.
    She is very different to even the first build, they removed moves like that air hazanshu type move that ground bounces , she can now legs in the air , she has Sen'en Shuu instead of hazanshu(i don't know why because the latter is ment to be a improvement ) . Her grounded legs no long do a juggle state, and her v trigger has been shifted to normals from speicals which kinda nerfed it but i see why people complained. honestly she looks pretty damm third strike at the moment

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,990
    Is her air whirly kick gone? I didn't see it in the newest footage O.O
  • HodelinoHodelino Never give up! Learn from your faults! Joined: Posts: 63
    She looks better than ever imo. I'm glad her LLegs are an half circle command like SFxT. The only thing I noticed is that it looks like her Hazanshu is gone....also her V-Skill doesn't seem as strong but I hope it gets some kind of invincibility or projectile invulnerability. Other V-Skills like Ryu's parry ar far better. Otherwise she looks pretty fun to play and I can't wait to get my hands on her when SFV comes out :)
    This thread is now all about Pikachu, because everyone knows he's just so fcking adorable
    edited June 2015
    Yeah I was just gonna ask about the air spin kick from the first trailer, it seems to be completely gone. Its a shame because the character desperately needed some fresh moves
    edited June 2015
    Rayartz wrote: »
    I've been noticing in further watching of videos that her Jumping HP TC, which could usually be followed by stomps, doesn't seem to put the opponent in a slow fall juggle state like in SF4 or SFxTk.

It is possible that Stomps can't be done after TCHP, unless you just have to hit the stomps really late.
    But if stomps aren't possible maybe Ex SBK or other moves will be possible.

I'd really like to see a legit use for that Odd looking Cl. St. Hk where she practically kicks straight up. So far I haven't seen it hit. Potential Anti Air? Potential stupid move? lol.... I dunno but I like the Knee to the face Cl.St.HK in SF4 so this one needs to impress me somehow.
    New game, new systems, with a Chun that's possibly based more on her earlier incarnations than on SFIV So IV it's expected that IV specific stuff wont work anymore.

In any case, I have the nagging feeling that Hoyouku Sen will be jump cancellable (just like it was super jump cancellable in 3rd Strike) and one of the most natural follow up for that is the j.HP target, being able to extend further from that might be too much. In any case, you already get a crossunder reset possibility off it.
    Frame by frame of the blockstun/frame data on her back+HP.

vmjcgxt.jpg
    0cd6waj.jpg

Seems to be at least -1 on block. That said, it has enough push back that she can't get hit by jabs anyway.

That said, what we really need to know is how good its hitbox is. In 3rd Strike, back+HP's hitbox made it the GOAT and her answer to almost everything.

That said, what we really need to know is how good its hitbox is. In 3rd Strike, back+HP's hitbox made it the GOAT and her answer to almost everything.

0:37 - 0:40 provides an excellent example of that. First it stuffs something from a mile away, then it whiffs barely out of range of another of Ryus pokes.

It's obviously not 3rd Strike-levels of dumb but it looks pretty good.
    Her Critical Art I do believe is Jump cancelable at the end. I'm 99% sure I read either Combofiend or one of the many interviews that was posted last week that there was a "slight" juggle state.

The Whirl wind Kick sort of an Air-SBK on an angle is probably taken out and replaced with her MVC3 style Air LLegs. We'll know for sure with Fiend does his character breakdowns in a few days. But I'm totally thinking a juggled opponent with Stomps xx LLegs (hold down charge) land and EX SBK could highly work.

To go along with the B+HP discussion, in one of the videos she combos B+Hp, Cr. Mk xx LLegs
    looks sweet as a combo but I'm wondering what/if you can hit confirm into B+Hp?
    I've also seen Cr.mk combo into Cr. Lk, which is interesting I wonder if you can go Lk - Mk though
    Cr. Lp, Cr.mk is still available
    I'm also really curious if combos such as: Cr. Lk, Cr.Lp, Cr. Hp xx LLegs is possible here like it was in SFxTk.
    That was a pretty simple BNB in that game with a fair amount of utility considering you can use any special and be in the opponent face because Cr. Hp moves her forward.

Back to the B+Hp in the Omega verison of Chun she could C.Lp, St.Lp, B+Hp xx LLegs
    So that could very well carry over to SF5.

Which is all I'm concerning myself with - what works and what doesn't, combo theory etc., so I can start compiling my notes.

It is kinda silly that Kikouken is still a charge, but considering the 4 opponents (I'm including the mirror match) that are currently available - Turtling doesn't appear to be very effective option in this game.

• MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    double fierce link

yes plz
    CARACOLES
    Also the "Blue Jade" thing... no gurl. Chun came first.
    All I really want to know (aside from if b.HP will be the GOAT once again) is if she has multiple ways to confirm into CA. 3rd Strike allowed her to cancel into SA2 from stuff such as cr.mk, b.HP, close st.HK. This played alot into her rushdown game where, combined with kara throws, she made her opponents afraid to press buttons when she had meter because she could counter hit or parry and then confirm into super for 40+%. If she has multiple ways to do so once again, then she'll be a pretty decent character in the game.
    All I really want to know (aside from if b.HP will be the GOAT once again) is if she has multiple ways to confirm into CA. 3rd Strike allowed her to cancel into SA2 from stuff such as cr.mk, b.HP, close st.HK. This played alot into her rushdown game where, combined with kara throws, she made her opponents afraid to press buttons when she had meter because she could counter hit or parry and then confirm into super for 40+%. If she has multiple ways to do so once again, then she'll be a pretty decent character in the game.
    b.HP xx V-trigger - c.MK xx LLegs xx super is confirmed to work already. And setting up b.HP xx V-trigger from a knockdown already looks really scary even if it's blocked, because her V-trigger gives her a 2-hit c.MK. If both hits are cancelable (which it looks like they are: check the video I posted at 9:43) it looks like it might be very easy to confirm that into super.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,244 mod
    edited June 2015
    Hodelino wrote: »
    She looks better than ever imo. I'm glad her LLegs are an half circle command like SFxT. The only thing I noticed is that it looks like her Hazanshu is gone....also her V-Skill doesn't seem as strong but I hope it gets some kind of invincibility or projectile invulnerability. Other V-Skills like Ryu's parry ar far better. Otherwise she looks pretty fun to play and I can't wait to get my hands on her when SFV comes out :)

She has hazanshu still. Saw her do it in one video.

Oh and yeah, she can jump cancel after her super. It's just in most videos it only lands when it kills. They're really making sure both Ryu and Chun Li capture a lot of 3S in their motions and attacks. Especially now that Ryu's gi is a bit more roomy and actually moves around he definitely has a bit of that 3S visual flare to him now. The smoother animation makes Chun Li's attacks look more stylized as well.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 761
    Yeah but its the SFA version that doesn't go airborne
    It's nice to meet you, too.
    It's got the same animation, but strongly doubt it's the SFA-version, considering that the SFA-version was invincible x_x
  • kultissimkultissim Chun's boyfriend Joined: Posts: 179
    There is no hazanshu in her command list, sawit on ign, but she has a command normal that can be mistaken for a hazanshu; but i like better her vskill since you can hop over a projectile>j.hpx2>combo for more damage.
    edited June 2015
    Waiting for people to try out meaty lp. kikoken into v-skill on wakeup.

On a related note, that's probably one of the reasons why they changed her air combo ender from the spin kick into air hyakuretsukyaku. The former gave better positioning by having the opponent right at her feet, they might have thought that that, plus her v-skill or v-trigger might be too much. I'm guessing air legs has them fall slightly farther out.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,244 mod
    kultissim wrote: »
    There is no hazanshu in her command list, sawit on ign, but she has a command normal that can be mistaken for a hazanshu; but i like better her vskill since you can hop over a projectile>j.hpx2>combo for more damage.

Well her command normal has the exact same animation as her Alpha/VS game hazanshu so its probably just been turned into a command attack now.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,787
    Naeras wrote: »
    It's got the same animation, but strongly doubt it's the SFA-version, considering that the SFA-version was invincible x_x

It was not invincible. That move (Sen'en Shu) evades high attacks and throws during most of its startup but loses to lows (specifically a low hitbox).

I didn't notice whether the move Chun Li is doing in SF5 got hit by a high or low attack, but even if it's just an overhead I can work with it. She doesn't seem to announce the move before she does it which would make it harder to react to mid-match. Hopefully more information about it will be posted by people testing it at E3.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    mykka wrote: »
    Also the "Blue Jade" thing... no gurl. Chun came first.

I'm sure the title means

$_1.JPG?set_id=2

And not the MK character. :blush:

"The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
    Oh I'm pretty sure a forward throw which scores a hard knock down, Kikouken xx V-trigger should be pretty safe activation on opponents wake up
    I was messing around with Omega Chun yesterday with SF5 in mind, I definitely see the 'testing ground' now.