Birdie General Thread: The Banana Bogey Brawler

SharntSharnt Joined: Posts: 354
edited February 2016 in Birdie
11694925_10153528048517147_6897982968899550629_n.png?oh=8c6f5ece4f803b9525f7b4aee07e4155&oe=56324E6E

From SRK's article.
http://shoryuken.com/2015/06/15/going-hands-on-with-street-fighter-v-cammy-and-birdie-conduct-their-very-own-british-invasion/
Birdie

sfv-birdie-reveal-tallBirdie’s had an interesting series of transformations over the history of the Street Fighter franchise, going from a white, generic British punk-thug in the first game to a hulking black bouncer with a bizarre ‘do in the Alpha series, and now to a chubby, food-scarfing, tattooed bruiser in Street Fighter V.

I’m not sure if Birdie was particularly high on many folks’ returning-character wishlists, but now that he’s actually in the game, I’m really glad he’s there. Birdie serves a very interesting niche that’s different from his role in the Street Fighter Alpha series: a slow, power-heavy character that hits hard and comes equipped with long-range grabs using his chains. I didn’t think he’d be a character I’d enjoy playing–I gravitate towards “glass cannon” types, personally–but out of everyone in Street Fighter V so far, Birdie was far and away the most fun to play with.
Current Movelist

V-Skill: Break Time (MP+MK, variants with stick motions)

Remember Ono’s banana picture? Yep, that’s actually one of Birdie’s V-Skills. Birdie stops to scarf a snack, but this is no mere taunt: the residue he throws can affect opponents. Neutral MP+MK produces a delicious donut that fills V-meter, while using back MP+MK has Birdie chomp down on a banana. The banana peel remains on the ground and can be slipped on by the opponent, causing knockdown (there’s a Diddy Kong joke to be had here, I’m sure). And finally, pressing down with MP+MK lets Birdie slam a Dew*, and his hastily discarded soda can rolls across the floor and hits low.

*No, it’s not actually Mountain Dew, but we can’t totally rule out future eSports sponsorships.

V-Trigger: Enjoy Time (HP+HK)

Now this is Hot Pepper Gaming! Activating Birdie’s V-Trigger sees the brute eat a pepper, providing him with a gauge that makes his skills super spicy. We’re talking extra damage and guard breaks on specials.

V-Reversal: Pepper Pot (During guard, towards+PPP)

Special Moves

Bull Head (HCF+P)

A signature Birdie skill returns from the Alpha series, only now it’s a half-circle rather than a charge. Birdie rushes a length of the stage with a devastating headbutt.

Bull Horn (Hold any P and release)

A slightly less involved input from the original Bull Horn, this can also can be held for a surprisingly long time–even taking a few hits couldn’t stop the charge, from what I recall. Sadly, I didn’t get the opportunity to test and see if it has the same chain abilities.

Hanging Chain (QCF+K)

Birdie launches a chain forward to grab his opponent and smash them around in a nasty, long-distance catch move. The strength of the kick pressed determines the launch angle.

Killing Head (HCB+P)

What’s this? A painful close-range throw that’s not a 360? Yep, I already mentioned before how 360s aren’t in the game, and here’s a prime example. It’s a bit surprising, given that Birdie existed in the original Alpha as the token 360 throw character (until they introduced the token 360 throw character in Alpha 2). Between this and Cammy’s Hooligan Combination, you can see how Capcom’s adjusting the controls for accessibility.

Bull Revenger (HCB+K)

What’s scarier than Birdie lunging at you? A leaping Birdie lunge where he can catch you and inflict a world of hurt, that’s what. It might not be a Super any more, but that doesn’t mean this ground-slamming special is any less painful.
Critical Art

Skip to My Chain (2xQCF+P)

One of the most entertaining–and devastating–Critical Arts shown so far, this attack has Birdie rolling his foe up in his chains and engaging in an impromptu jump-rope session, with his bound-up opponent suffering some seriously damaging skid burns as a result.

“And the very best thing of all, there’s no counter on this ball!” Okay, I’ll stop now.
Post edited by jchensor on

Comments

• SharntSharnt Joined: Posts: 354
    Ok I'm really curious. His V-Skill is the most original by far.
    Nicely done capcom.
  • YagamiFireYagamiFire Hobby: Resurrection Joined: Posts: 2,956
    Glad to see Birdie back. He was one of my biggest requests for SF4. Glad to see him included. Daaamn though did he let himself go!
    "Punks jump up to get beat down"

I designed SFV Ed. Your argument is invalid.

Visit us at the Street Fighter story thread! Click here!
  • SagatryuSagatryu Joined: Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    well it's understable if you look it his bio and see that one of his hobbies is gluttony and that he likes beer.
    "you may have the Ultimate Shield , but I have the Ultimate eye , and my ultimate eye can see your weakness" - King Bradley / Wrath to Greed.
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice Psycho Denji Joined: Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Birdie is older and fatter these days.
    Fightcade, Steam and XBL tag: Projectjustice
    PSN: Projectjustice77
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 2,007
    edited June 2015
    I love his redesign. He looks fat; but it fits his character. Rufus is just stupid fat but birdie reminds me of an actual street thug who is very large and more concerned with body mass/intimidation rather than looking ripped. He looks brutal.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,303
    I'm not fan of the design but I'm glad he's not a charge character anymore. Good call on making Bull Revenger a special this time.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    I wonder why Birdie's fat now. Is he depressed?

Did his time in the Psycho Drive make him fearful of his own mortality and now he eats to fight his depression?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

• ShockdingoShockdingo Freelance voice actor & Reploid.PHD in Q speculation. Joined: Posts: 1,707
    Really interested in the changes to his moveset. I really hope we get a general story trailer so we can speculate what's driving everyone. I wonder if Birdie got a sweet score, slowed down in thuggery and just let himself go? His necklace design is on the cans he drinks from, so I'm wondering if he figured out the monetary biz better than Balrog.

All the food stuff should be interesting hah. Can't wait for more footage.
    "Bison drinks DELICIOUS expired milk on tuesdays while driving trucks into wandering fighters." - m121akuma

Warrior's Fate: The identity of Street Fighter's Q. Now in video!

Concept video for Captain Commando II intro / Attract Mode.

My StreetFighter voice acting reel
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,976
    I told you I was sure either Birdie or Sodom would be in this game.

Seeing they got Charlie and Birdie... maybe they're trying to push in for a Street Fighter Alpha Online Edition release?
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,735
    Not happy with this new design. Gameplay wise is interesting though.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • mowrmowr VROOM VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,694
    edited June 2015
    He doesn't have Murderer Chain?! WHAT THE FUCK. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. CAPCOM CAN GO TO HEAVEN.
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=RQ68z3v1Ls0

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
  • SanjiephSanjieph Joined: Posts: 92
    edited June 2015
    It's weird that Birdie is not a 360 character.

Did they take away all the 360 moves? Or does this mean Zangief will still make it as the 360 grappler.

Or maybe they've gone more SNKish, and made his grabs actually combo
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,833 mod
    I like the new design. Game is feeling more like SF3 where they're finally not afraid to make progressions with the look and character choices. Seems like he has ranged grabs now which is new for SF.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,436
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    I wonder why Birdie's fat now. Is he depressed?

Did his time in the Psycho Drive make him fearful of his own mortality and now he eats to fight his depression?

He is fat because he loves to eat, that is obvious. Gluttony has always been listed as something he likes. Maybe he finally got enough money he can sit on his butt and enjoy life.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
    edited June 2015
    Sanjieph wrote: »
    It's weird that Birdie is not a 360 character.

Did they take away all the 360 moves? Or does this mean Zangief will still make it as the 360 grappler.

Or maybe they've gone more SNKish, and made his grabs actually combo

The article zerochan made on the front page makes it sound like there may not be anymore 360 moves.

It looks like again Capcom is taking another approach from smaller community games like Skullgirls and KI. Inputs for special moves are made to be simpler and more accessible for newer players. Considering 3rd Strike only had a few charge characters and no charge supers, this is really just a slightly more simplified SF3 when it comes to motions.

I like this approach as like 3rd Strike and Skullgirls, there are still execution heavy things you can do even with the simplified motions. In SFIV they force newer players to learn all of these complicated charge motions and other commands for specials, but then let them just mash out of block stun and frame traps with backdashes and reversals. Now things will be more streamlined so they can get in and play, but not let them get out of stuff for free either.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

Half circles are harder to churn though, especially against crossups.

People still churn? lol

• SharntSharnt Joined: Posts: 354
    How you can succeed at guarding anything while churning is beyond me.
    I thought we were talking about making things easier for beginners...

Easier, not durpier. lol

Ugh... I can't. I just can't.

I can get over the slob look and the dumb garbage toss V-Skill but... no Murderer Chain...

• ForeverZeroForeverZero Buy Odins beer, bitch! Joined: Posts: 1,038
    I praise Capcom for giving new life to an old character, even if he's gotten a bit...heavier around the sides. He was a cool character in Alpha 3 to use. His V-trigger looks so unique out of the rest of the cast, and he has become the first character in SF history to do long range attacks mixed in with dangerous close-quarter grappler (if I recall). So he's more of a big deal than people are giving him credit for. I'm going to enjoy play him at E3 this week with Charlie and Bison.
    tumblr_inline_mya7mplzxq1sqtc0p.gif
    "Why is Guile never showing his full potential? ...Because he's always holding back."

SFII: Guile, Bison, Ryu, Dhalsim.
    SFAlpha 3: Charlie, Karin, Gen, Sodom.
    USFIV: Gouken, Guile,and Hakan
    UMvC3: Thor/Iron Fist/Nova.
    SFV: Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alts: Zangief, Alex, Guile, FANG.
    Having fun thinking of setups and uses for his can and banana peel. Man they could be so awesome if ~3 things I'm hoping are true.
    1. Can roll recovers decently quickly
    2. He can't slip on his own banana peel (dear god that would suck if he does).
    3. Chain throws are actual command throws not strikes.

Using cans to chase down back roll techs and setting up banana peels to make his own techs safe from chase down. Mid to long range tic can into throw, poke or headbutt. Setting up throws where they land in the corner with the banana peel in front of them making them have to jump to get out.
  • Gross_IndecencyGross_Indecency S Nocturnal Joined: Posts: 1,019
    It's great that he is normal looking- fat. Not Rufus play dough, dancing belly fat. Not Honda huge belly painted with six-packs fat. But just, simple, fat. Capcom really is going for the more realistic way. Loving it.
    edited June 2015
    It's great that he is normal looking- fat. Not Rufus play dough, dancing belly fat. Not Honda huge belly painted with six-packs fat. But just, simple, fat. Capcom really is going for the more realistic way. Loving it.

Honda is a bit weird. I mean some Sumos are big and still maintain fairly defined stomach muscles but it's not the norm, and not to the extent of honda. Almost never on a sumo that is as big around as Honda either.

058_b.jpg

I like how they've done Birdie, I mean I'd prefer him NOT to be fat, but the way they did it seems to work decently. Plus he still got ripped a fuck arms.
  • IAmYagamiIAmYagami Garuda Joined: Posts: 271
    I love his redesign. He looks fat; but it fits his character. Rufus is just stupid fat but birdie reminds me of an actual street thug who is very large and more concerned with body mass/intimidation rather than looking ripped. He looks brutal.

Yes. I really like his look. Only thing missing was his second ring in his hair.
    I look forward to destroying people in the β.
    Huge fan of psychological warfare.

Atheist, Humanist, Extreme Pacifist. (Pacifism is opposition to war, militarism, or violence.)
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 9,427 mod
    Really happy about Birdie. He looks super fun and Capcom made an interesting V-Skill for him THANK THE HEAVENS, AND IT FITS HIS CHARACTER! Cammy however...meh. Not particularly interested in her, looks bland as usual.

I might have to pick up Birdie though. I suck at doing 360 motions on a stick still I've never invested time into a character with a 360 motion so oh well, but now it's a HCB I'lll have an easier time playing him without having to learn that awkward motion. Casual catering.or a step.in the right direction? It's only a motion so I'm with the latter a little more.

So far it's a toss-up between Birdie and Chun-Li for me. Rooting for a Cody reveal next.
    UK Based, SFV - Kolin, Juri
    YouTube
    Twitch
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,754 mod
    The only reason we probably still have half circles is that the devs aren't too sure about making command throws quarter circles.

As for dealing with cross ups, with hard knockdowns only coming from supers, you'll probably have to deal with them less anyway.
  • Gross_IndecencyGross_Indecency S Nocturnal Joined: Posts: 1,019
    So according to the information UltraDavid gives here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lO2n8cGufRTvQGYcFEAVCUhKJximN0x0wdLCdb4ksuo/preview?sle=true&pli=1

Birdie has very few combos but they hit hard.
    It would be great to know what "few" refers to. Is it unoiled Hakan "few" or Blanka "few"?

• FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 9,427 mod
    d3v wrote: »
    The only reason we probably still have half circles is that the devs aren't too sure about making command throws quarter circles.

As for dealing with cross ups, with hard knockdowns only coming from supers, you'll probably have to deal with them less anyway.

I was wondering why they hadn't gone quarter circles for the command myself. Makes a little more sense.

UK Based, SFV - Kolin, Juri
    YouTube
    Twitch
  • Low-Quality-UKLow-Quality-UK Online UnderDog Joined: Posts: 41
    edited June 2015
    I wonder how long the banana peel stay on the ground ? Surely to be a big game changer once it is out...
    First true trap style move in a Street Fighter game ?
    He better not be able to slip on it himself .... otherwise that would suck for Birdie players ....
    Also shocked he gained weight ..... shouldn't have underestimated Capcom ..... lol .....
    Now I'm afriad of requesting other forgotten characters , if they're going to be drastically changed this drastically .....
    No.

Murderer.

Chain.

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,754 mod
    Who fucking cares.

I'm more interested in his current moveset simply because he has what amounts to Scorpion's spear now.
  • Dragonfave723Dragonfave723 Kiss the future! Joined: Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    New footage @ 9:15 mark
  • Super SonicSuper Sonic Joined: Posts: 1,496
    What I like: Alpha getting some love not only with character selections, but also with system mechanics.
    What I don't like: Birdie looking EXACTLY like Rufus now. I bet they used Rufus' SFIV model for Birdie. His Alpha design was pretty original as is, why change it so much? I hope he at least gets a decent story this time around.
    Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!
    d3v wrote: »
    Who fucking cares.

I'm more interested in his current moveset simply because he has what amounts to Scorpion's spear now.

Go to heaven.

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,402
    UltraDavid wrote:
    Normals:

excellent buttons
    St hp is gigantic
    St mk is good
    St mp is good, cancelable
    Cr hk is huge
    Down mp is great great antiair
    Well, that dispels my first fear -- that his normals would be pure trash -- very effectively.
  • GenUser!GenUser! Joined: Posts: 2,963
    Liking his play style, the look ehhhh I'll get used to it.
    CFN: Dmen05
    PSN: davmen05
  • Low-Quality-UKLow-Quality-UK Online UnderDog Joined: Posts: 41
    edited June 2015
    I won't lie .... what happens to his opponent if his super is the finishing hit and pulling a giant donut out of nowhere for his victory screen made me laugh .....