Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

Birdie General Thread: The Banana Bogey Brawler

Comments

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I want the throne! Joined: Posts: 27,368
    edited June 2015
    Shut the fuck up about murder chain @mowr
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU RIP Mahvel 2017-2017 Joined: Posts: 11,286
    The new Birdie still looks way more interesting to me than Rufus ever did. He still looks like Birdie but just let himself go a bit. He's still humongous and his new mannerisms like pulling his pants up while he walks forward at you is hilarious.

It's not hilarious, it's outright retarded. Why try to turn a freelance thug into an ugly fatass?

He's a retired wrestler/street thug. It makes perfect sense as to why Birdie could have let himself go. Is it really that preposterous to think otherwise? He still has his massive size to him. It's just that he has a huge sotmach to go with it.

You'd think it's kinda weird to turn a former bandit (just look at how violent he is in the Alpha Generations OVA) into this happy donut-eating dude. It's a complete 180 on the character's personality
    Fighting Game Mains:
    - USFIV - Fei Long
    - SFV - Ryu
    - UMVC3 - Akuma/Iron Fist/Ghost Rider
    - KOFXIV - Ryo/Geese/Kim
    - Xrd - Ky & Kum
    - DBFZ* - Trunks/Yamcha/Gohan
    - UNI[ST]* - Enkidu
    - Tekken 7 - Hwoarang & Kazuya
    *to be purchased
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The new Birdie still looks way more interesting to me than Rufus ever did. He still looks like Birdie but just let himself go a bit. He's still humongous and his new mannerisms like pulling his pants up while he walks forward at you is hilarious.

It's not hilarious, it's outright retarded. Why try to turn a freelance thug into an ugly fatass?

He's a retired wrestler/street thug. It makes perfect sense as to why Birdie could have let himself go. Is it really that preposterous to think otherwise? He still has his massive size to him. It's just that he has a huge sotmach to go with it.

You'd think it's kinda weird to turn a former bandit (just look at how violent he is in the Alpha Generations OVA) into this happy donut-eating dude. It's a complete 180 on the character's personality

Street Fighter Alpha: The Animation you mean. Alpha Generations is the anime about Akuma being Ryu's father (and second best anime after SF2's IMO in terms of art and execution). Anyway I get where you are coming from, I have always been a fan of the more serious SF and I'm not too keen on Birdie's humor. However, he still a great character design and arguably more frightening than he's ever been.

I FEEL IT WITHIN MY BODY!
  • SagatryuSagatryu Joined: Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    the gluttony thing is a part of Birdie's background has been since Street Fighter Alpha. and it's listed in his SFA3 Bio.
    "you may have the Ultimate Shield , but I have the Ultimate eye , and my ultimate eye can see your weakness" - King Bradley / Wrath to Greed.
  • LemresLemres The Two G.O.A.T Joined: Posts: 1,600
    Birdie's jab is definitely gonna get nerfed soon.
  • otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,271
    It's funny that a grappler has the best conversion out of lights so far.
  • TrueSephirothTrueSephiroth Joined: Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited June 2015
    Birdie's AA literally stuffs everything that I've seen in all of the matches. The hitbox on it looks pretty insane, and to top it off, his jabx3 or whatever into Super taking off 50-60%+ of an opponents health is unbelievable, and the frequency of it happening seems to occur almost every round. Watching a match like Daigo having an 80% health lead with Ryu on Tokido's Birdie but then he gets caught with a jab into super for basically 60% punish is absurd. Personally, the jab setup is the only thing that I feel is ridiculous about Birdie right now, that's really it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Birdie stay like this going into the later versions simply because I would like to see what people will develop against him, however something tells me he's going to get tweaked one way or another down the road.
    Post edited by TrueSephiroth on
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." - Vince Lombardi

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting - Ryu
  • bypostmanbypostman Joined: Posts: 2,207
    The jab conversion is crazy especially when other characters don't even have things like this lol.
  • KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,732
    We need more footage :(
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 2,121
    Looks like birdie is dominating the fuck out of this E3. Jab conversion to super does look a little OP but only time will tell. I find it funny that everyone was worried about ryu's parry being OP yet we have yet to see anyone properly use it even once, while birdie is getting supers off of everything.
  • ES_CurseES_Curse Get ready for emanci-PAIN SON Joined: Posts: 8,586
    They made Birdie strong on purpose for the E3 build so people will take him seriously
    formerly just5moreminutes. I guess the clock ran out.
    edited June 2015
    I find it funny that everyone was worried about ryu's parry being OP yet we have yet to see anyone properly use it even once, while birdie is getting supers off of everything.

I believe everyone was assuming that the Ryu Parry was exactly like SF3 Parry, and had it of been so, then yes 100% it would've been OP and made Ryu the most powerful character in the game. In SF5 however, even after a successful parry you have to wait for the animation to finish in order to do anything, so on jabs etc, it won't be that effective but up against longer animations or such it can be. This is unlike the SF3 incarnation to where you could just parry then instantly punish in most cases.

• gilleygilley 3D Aminator Joined: Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    bypostman wrote: »
    The jab conversion is crazy especially when other characters don't even have things like this lol.

literally every other character has the same kind of conversion birdie has.
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain
    edited June 2015
    gilley wrote: »

Really? Ryu can start a jab fireball Super from cr. mk range? Nash's target combo doesn't drop if he's not in your face and does 50% like Birdie?

Well, I'm not there, so eh, if that's the case than it's not so bad.

Not really, at least not from what we've seen thus far. The only character to consistently land their critical art on numerous occasions is Birdie. I saw J-Wong drop the Dictator Critical Ult off of a combo numerous times being just slightly out of range. You don't have this problem with Birdie, not to mention can't he even land it off a dashing headbutt if I'm not mistaken? I know you can land Ryu's CA off of a c.mk however I don't see him getting a CA off a jab punish? No Way.

Again, I don't want to blow this up into a "Birdie is OP" statement, because we're still in the testing phases so their will be obvious changes to the game, not to mention I never want to be too premature about things. However, jab into CA is crazy, especially in rounds to where I really thought the opposing player had it Won, but got caught with a jab and bam...end of round.

edited June 2015

Not really, at least not from what we've seen thus far. The only character to consistently land their critical art on numerous occasions is Birdie. I saw J-Wong drop the Dictator Critical Ult off of a combo numerous times being just slightly out of range. You don't have this problem with Birdie, not to mention can't he even land it off a dashing headbutt if I'm not mistaken? I know you can land Ryu's CA off of a c.mk however I don't see him getting a CA off a jab punish? No Way.

Again, I don't want to blow this up into a "Birdie is OP" statement, because we're still in the testing phases so their will be obvious changes to the game, not to mention I never want to be too premature about things. However, jab into CA is crazy, especially in rounds to where I really thought the opposing player had it Won, but got caught with a jab and bam...end of round.

Well to be specific, it was the multiple jabs being able to go into CA that bugged me. Idk, something about the whole package seemed fishy.

Low jab has mad range, and links into mp into headbutt into CA. But even if you miss your combo and the headbutt comes out it looks quite safe? Or is it just nobody punishing yet? But people tried. And the way the way this option along ith command grab is so threatening seems insane?

Tbh we don't know yet. What I would give to test this out.
    edited June 2015

Really? Ryu can start a jab fireball Super from cr. mk range? Nash's target combo doesn't drop if he's not in your face and does 50% like Birdie?

Well, I'm not there, so eh, if that's the case than it's not so bad.

Ryu can do c.lp > c.lp > DP > super
    Charlie can do c.lp > c.lp > slice kick > super
    Chun can do the same thing
    Cammy can do the same thing
    etc, etc.
    They all do big damage. It's a gameplay feature specifically added to SF5. Birdie just has a lot of range on his attacks because he's so big. In the older SF's, you couldn't special cancel chained light attacks, now you can.
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain
    edited June 2015
    Well to be specific, it was the multiple jabs being able to go into CA that bugged me. Idk, something about the whole package seemed fishy.

Oh, I agree with you, and I apologize if I sounded like I didn't, because I do. To me the only thing stupid about Birdie atm is what you're implying and it's the jab into CA, because many times we've seen him land jab at an insane range go into headbutt and launch CA right after for like 50-60% damage which is crazy.

It "kind of" reminds me of 3S Chun with the whole c.mk into SAII nonsense that took off a ridiculous amount of life which ultimately turned out to be arguably the best hit confirm into Super within 3S. If this option stays intact, their is no way I'll see him falling off anytime soon.

Within the roster however, I still believe that Dictator (the pressure setups that J-Wong was doing was giving every Birdie player problems to the point they didn't even want to press a button at times), Charlie (The Sonic Boom and AA punish Xian was doing was amazing and very effective against Birdie) and Ryu (I believe he's the most difficult of the three to make it work, but his Hadouken, pokes, Shoryuken, and his V-Trigger Hadoukens are options that I can see being effective up against Birdie) can go against Birdie.

I just don't want anyone to get too unpleasant just yet, because within the next SF:V update, he probably get's modified and all of this conversation becomes mute.

• RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
  • ShockdingoShockdingo Freelance voice actor & Reploid.PHD in Q speculation. Joined: Posts: 1,904

Plus, he's still agile as hell. Im real life you've got big guys who were pretty agile - I remember Vader being a big buy but being pretty nimble. I would of had a problem if in all his animations he'd wince or look out of shape after landing an attack, but he looks like he's having a good time. He's muffin topping and his gut is big, but he's as agile as he ever was. I love how well animated his jump rope super is. :lol:

It's pretty cool to see how fun Birdie is to play. I was hoping to pick him up if he was in, but now that he's also got some good tools to use, I'm rather hyped to get my hands on him.
    "Bison drinks DELICIOUS expired milk on tuesdays while driving trucks into wandering fighters." - m121akuma

Warrior's Fate: The identity of Street Fighter's Q. Now in video!

Concept video for Captain Commando II intro / Attract Mode.

My StreetFighter voice acting reel
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,452
    People ignoring the fact his arms are still ripped as fuck, he ain't let himself go EVERYWHERE.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,732
    edited June 2015
    Birdie is based off One Man Gang, right?

Akeem_bio.png

dungeon_of_doom_one_man_gang_as_wcw_united_states_heavyweight_champion_OLfGESpQ.sized.jpg

Or does he have another inspiration that I'm missing?
  • bitchesandsakebitchesandsake Joined: Posts: 11
    I'm not people. I'm okay with the prior designs but open to improvement, this is NOT improvement. Yes I'll admit I raged immediately after seeing this without looking much into it yet and his gameplay is dope. But still, he looks terrible. Weather it makes sense story wise or not, he just looks terrible. I drink beer a lottt and eat a lottt and I'm not freakishly obese in the slightest (probably less than 5% body fat). We don't need another Rufus, NOBODY liked him -_-

LOL
  • deleyedeleye Joined: Posts: 181
    Nah I like the design. Probable main unless Alex shows up, and theres no way deejay is making it in till like the 5th round of dlc characters.
    CFN-PC WaitinOnDeejay
    CFN-PS4 Deleye
    You can't escape the beat!!!
  • dittOdittO Joined: Posts: 29
    Back in the days when I was playing alpha, I remember Birdie had a really cool command throw (360+P).
    This was probably my favorite command throw. Not just Birdie's, but in general.
    While I was watching some gameplay footage of Birdie at E3, I don't think I ever managed to see this move being used at all...
    Does anyone know If it exists or not? (sry but don't remeber the move's name :p)
    Ha-ha!
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    dittO wrote: »
    Back in the days when I was playing alpha, I remember Birdie had a really cool command throw (360+P).
    While I was watching some gameplay footage of Birdie at E3, I don't think I ever managed to see this move being used at all...
    Does anyone know If it exists or not? (sry but don't remeber the move's name :p)

It is now the ex version of his current command move I think. It was called Murderer Chain.

I FEEL IT WITHIN MY BODY!
  • EternalEternal unpleasable perfectionist Joined: Posts: 12,452
    edited June 2015
    Daemos wrote: »

It is now the ex version of his current command move I think. It was called Murderer Chain.

Not a command throw move. It's EX version of Birdie's chain throw attack which is actually a strike, sadly.
    http://ink-gaming.com/ono/doku.php The new home of the Ono Tool official wiki.
  • mowrmowr VROOM! Joined: Posts: 7,015
    edited June 2015

Nope. They replaced it with that boring headbutt. For absolutely no reason. :/
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=nZbQctu85BY

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
  • dittOdittO Joined: Posts: 29
    Ok, thx for the info guys :)
    Ha-ha!
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,049
    mowr wrote: »

Nope. They replaced it with that boring headbutt. For absolutely no reason. :/
    No, I think it makes better sense like this, otherwise it would be repetitive.
    Daemos wrote: »

It was his Murderer Chain, but the EX Bull Revenger is the same as his old Lvl 1 Bull Revenger super from Alpha which had the same animation for the grab as the 360.
    edited June 2015
    For all of you who aren't familiar with old Birdie, me and my buddy played him in A2, here is birdman pre remake. The CC he did does about 90% from a jump in on a full health bar.

Birdie looks better now than how he was before. Not sure how good tick throws are in AFV, but in A2 his was boo boo. Looks like he lost some staple buttons from old games but his new ones look better as a whole. His jump seems worse.
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited June 2015
    I dont get why people object about new stuff, it's new stuff, street fighters old problem is that is was always to scared to try new things.
    I'm so bored of the same old stuff over and over again for the past 20 plus years. sf5 might have some faults but at least it seems like it's going in the right direction in terms of design imo

Murder chain his old 360 grab from alpha was rubbish, sure it looked cool it put them on the other side of the screen and whilest yeah birdie had a couple of ways to get in it wasn't really the place you wanted to be, his new headbutt command grab is good, it looks like it's untechable when they hit the floor and they are only a couple steps away.

There's only 3 things i dont like about new birdie

1) his jump, seems far to big and floaty for me, his jumps in alpha were always pretty good

2) his hold punch move, i dunno how good or bad this move is, yeah it goes through projectiles it kinda goes nowhere though, i dont know how good an anti air it is, i thought i saw it stuffed a couple of times, overall not a negative feeling just more questions than answers really

3) the can i know alot of people will disagree but i feel at this moment in time from what i've seen it looks pretty unless, granted when it hits it looks like it gives you some hitstun, but it looked to me it was no better in terms of stun than the banana, i feel it comes out to slow travels to fast, but not fast enough to annoy people, it dont give enough v trigger gauge for the length of time it takes to come out, obviously you got the doughnut for that but the can seems like a jack of all trades but master of none.

I'd either like to see it sped up to the point where you use it as a minimal damage projectile to harass people with or make it really slow so it's sort of like a mini faust, be able to use it for cross up nonsense, let it keep the same start up if its the latter if you make it into a faster harassing projectile give it faster start up, right now i dont see why you'd use the can over doughnut and banana.

But overall birdie gets a massive thumbs up from me, a certified birdie hater
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    edited June 2015
    Murder chain his old 360 grab from alpha was rubbish, sure it looked cool it put them on the other side of the screen

Any time you did Murder Chain/Bandit Chain you should have been charging Bull Horn. After the 360 you release the Bull Horn and you are point blank on their wake up.

Edit: Birdie was actually bad up close, which is why he was bad in general. Also Zangief's 360 put you fullscreen and he had no way of closing that gap without CC in A2 or V-ism sillyness in A3.
    Post edited by RagingStormX on
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,725
    Don't expect other characters to be designed revolutionary different.
    They could do it with Birdie because nobody gives a fuck about him and barely anyone knows him.

Imagine them making a fat Sagat/Sakura/Ken or something.
    CapcomUnity would be full of whining fanboys.
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • KilleyKilley Game Over Yeeeaaaahhhhh Joined: Posts: 5,560
    Anybody else that went to e3 remember if his s.RH was his over head or if he had a f+RH command over head? I'm trying to remember but I think it was just s.RH that was his 2 hit overhead.
    All posts made by Killey are intended for discerning readers. All views & opinions are subject to change without notice. Killey will not apologize for any misinterpretations of his posts.
  • OrochiDemonOrochiDemon Joined: Posts: 1,542
    Hes gonna be the worst character by the end of this versions life.
  • SharntSharnt Joined: Posts: 356
    Imagine them making a fat Sagat/Sakura/Ken or something.

Maaan I so want to see pregnant sakura versus blind sagat and bald Ken ;_;
    Killey wrote: »
    Anybody else that went to e3 remember if his s.RH was his over head or if he had a f+RH command over head? I'm trying to remember but I think it was just s.RH that was his 2 hit overhead.

He had both s.hk and f+hk. s.hk was similar to his old school s.hk. f+hk was his overhead which is much improved over his old one. It has lots of range similar to Hugo's mk overhead.