Birdie General Thread: The Banana Bogey Brawler

Comments

• toddler316toddler316 Drunk Shit Hustler Joined: Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Train130 wrote: »
    how do you guys deal with aggressive ryu players? They just keep jumping on me and I have no answer...

Birdy has a ton of AA tools, if close use D MP, if they are empty jumping d HPx2, if you read an early jump the bullhorn (Held punch) is great and if you hit the early part of their jump/trade you can super out of it regardless of screen position, if they keep crossing, either bullhorn or v reversal are great options as the reversal usually leaves you in command throw range.
    Russell Crowe: This is Tianamen Square. Lots of good fightin' has gone on here throughout the years.These China men can grow to over five feet tall, and in a fight, are known to kick with their legs.

As the infamous Bruce Lee said: "To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person."

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • metrokardmetrokard Joined: Posts: 1,301
    yo did you guys know ex chain has armor?
  • gilleygilley 3D Aminator Joined: Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I was screwing around with the priority of his specials inputs and found this...

hcf+lk+mp = hanging chain, not bull head
    hcb+lk+mp = bull revenger, not killing head
    charge p, hcb+release p = killing head, not bull horn
    charge p+k, hcf+release p+k = hanging chain, not bull horn
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 27,346
    In an awesome bit of fanservice, Birdie says "go to heaven" when he lands his command grab in the English dub.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 1,186
    edited August 2015
    Probably already mentioned but Birdie's fire breath during his V-Trigger is now a proper anti air. Yes, the thing that I've been wanting the most is now in the game.

(2:28 into the video)
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 2,116
    So in the newer builds he eat a bit faster and his v-trigger is an anti-air? Excellent. He needs those.
    So in the newer builds he eat a bit faster and his v-trigger is an anti-air? Excellent. He needs those.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious but Combofiend did say that Birdie's weakness was being rushed down. He has great normals but no reliable anti air on wakeup or crossup attempts. Getting to that V-Trigger is absolutely crucial. I mean, I don't see it being too much for him anyway.
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 2,116

I'm not sure if you're being facetious but Combofiend did say that Birdie's weakness was being rushed down. He has great normals but no reliable anti air on wakeup or crossup attempts. Getting to that V-Trigger is absolutely crucial. I mean, I don't see it being too much for him anyway.

Not at all, I really do mean it. I find building gauge from full screen can still be difficult with fireball zoning, and eating at mid screen distance still gets you punished because it takes so long to recover from all 3 versions. And even once meter is built, activating it is extremly risky unless you're doing it out of EX bull head or c.lp.
  • WikumWikum Joined: Posts: 3,021
    how do you guys deal with aggressive ryu players? They just keep jumping on me and I have no answer...
    Crouching middle punch, it's one of the best anti airs in the game atm, if not the best.

it's unbelievable. my bison game completely suffered after i used birdie. i went back to bison and his cr.hp is a lot slower than birdie's cr.mp but i'd got so used to that particular timing that i was losing matches.
    If you kill your opponent near the corner of the china stage with the banana, it will send them through the wall :smile:
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain
  • twocoinstwocoins New account -- been around 10 years. Joined: Posts: 612
    edited September 2015
    Some Birdie tech. Birdies Overhead combos on meaty and counter hit.

Where to use.
    So anti air c.mp ~ early overhead (miss first attack), if the 2nd OH attack hits, you can combo into your bnb or super >:)
    Works greats on anti air on the landing, or on corner or wakeup.

Combos on all lights.
    I heard in the PAX build, they took away birdie's BnB combo. The c.lp > c.lp > s.lp > headbutt combo. Shout outs to 199 damage difficult(relatively speaking) combos being too OP!

I recorded all birdie's normals/specials/throws/etc. this evening and started figuring out most of his frame data. I'm going to probably make this data public sometime tomorrow so people can look at it and see all his weaknesses. Maybe people will stop complaining about him. Birdie gets rushed down IMHO. I think we're just seeing a bit of "grappler syndrome" here.

BTW, birdie's can says "devil calorie" on it :smiley:
  • AngerusAngerus To headbutt or not to headbutt? Joined: Posts: 829
    edited September 2015
    metrokard wrote: »

Couldn't seem to trigger armor in the online beta build, is it new?
    Oh and while I'm on it, what exactly is there to his v-trigger? I know bull horn and rush get armor and extra damage, but is that it or are there any more subtleties to it?

Afaik, normal bullhorns don't get armor in vtrigger mode and ex bullhorn already has it outside of vtrigger. EX Bullhead does get armor though.
    He might get more hits of armor in vtrigger, but I'm not exactly sure by how many hits.
    gilley wrote: »
    I heard in the PAX build, they took away birdie's BnB combo. The c.lp > c.lp > s.lp > headbutt combo. Shout outs to 199 damage difficult(relatively speaking) combos being too OP!

I recorded all birdie's normals/specials/throws/etc. this evening and started figuring out most of his frame data. I'm going to probably make this data public sometime tomorrow so people can look at it and see all his weaknesses. Maybe people will stop complaining about him. Birdie gets rushed down IMHO. I think we're just seeing a bit of "grappler syndrome" here.

They better not remove Birdies combo. ... is doing 160-190 damage considered OP now? Am i suppose to just mash buttons all day with not a single damn hit confirm and goo omg da footsies as some kind of gimp dalsim. That would be dumb. If thats the case i think he'd definitely end up droping tier. No headbutt to corners. His pokes are basically just to counter poke and can be easily be beaten when people find the sweet spot to beat it. He cant win with it alone, his command grab has no range and loses to normals, and people will wise up to the chain grab, and his v-trigger is easily punishable. The only option would be to run away and just eat till v-trigger? is that how we are suppose to play him? his v-reversal is pretty weak and has crappy wakeup and can lose to frame traps, and pressure easily.
  • SpyxTECSpyxTEC The Elite Connection Joined: Posts: 107
    twocoins wrote: »
    Some Birdie tech. Birdies Overhead combos on meaty and counter hit.

Where to use.
    So anti air c.mp ~ early overhead (miss first attack), if the 2nd OH attack hits, you can combo into your bnb or super >:)
    Works greats on anti air on the landing, or on corner or wakeup.

Combos on all lights.

With the same setup (after cr.MP AA), you can make HK meaty (without counterhit) > st.LP > Headbutt LP, I can make vid I make that combo like every fight x)
  • Train130Train130 Joined: Posts: 159
    well Birdie has 3-4 combos and he is getting nerfed already...wtf :neutral: are we gonna end up with 0 combos?
    I was messing around with some stun combos and these are some decent ones I've found post-stun.
    - (jump over), banana peel, f+HK, c.MP > Bullhorn / Bullhead - 279/273 dmg
  • SygSyg Joined: Posts: 64
    What part of the bnb no longer works? The cr.lp, st.lp link? I had a feeling they'd nerf cr.lp.
  • toddler316toddler316 Drunk Shit Hustler Joined: Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    On meaty you can slide if you catch the very end of it, if you sweep and immediately slide x2 you can combo mp into mp bullrush. Still working on a less obvious timing of sweep jab x2 1 step forward slide.
    I'll have to wait until phase 1 to test that one more but it's 100% safe on block.
    Russell Crowe: This is Tianamen Square. Lots of good fightin' has gone on here throughout the years.These China men can grow to over five feet tall, and in a fight, are known to kick with their legs.

As the infamous Bruce Lee said: "To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person."

edited September 2015
    can anyone confirm if birdie still has lk~lk~lp xx headbutt?
    Post edited by twocoins on
  • SpyxTECSpyxTEC The Elite Connection Joined: Posts: 107
    edited September 2015
    What I said before in vid:

HK meaty combo
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O2iNkiTE_Aq2CuMs8YvSrjwkae3ssrvcdcZs7uAnOVw/edit#gid=0

Here's that Birdie frame data I was talking about. There' still some incomplete stuff in there that I didn't complete before the beta shut down. But a majority of the data is there. All data assumes "point blank" hits, like his Bull Head, df+HP, etc.
    Angerus wrote: »
    metrokard wrote: »

Couldn't seem to trigger armor in the online beta build, is it new?
    yea i saw it wrong it actually destroys a fire ball as it goes through i saw it hit close to the body so i thought it was armor.

im hoping its not true..i havnt seen to many birdie videos from pax the one vs gootects the guy was dropping the combos so maybe thats where the rumor came from? When its at nycc ill test it out best i can...i hope one booth has a controller.
    Here's some meter building stuff I tested during Beta.

Killing Head (spd) - Whiff 7,5 of these to build 1 bar - around 24 seconds for 3 bars
    Chain grab cancels - Whiff 15 of these to build 1 bar - around 36 seconds for 3 bars
    Bull head (jab) - whiff 15 of these to build 1 bar - around 38 seconds for 3 bars
    Hanging chain - don't even bother
    Bull horn - don't even bother
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 59,212 mod
    well Birdie has 3-4 combos and he is getting nerfed already...wtf :neutral: are we gonna end up with 0 combos?

That's how he was in Alpha too. Very few combos. Just lots of headbutts and some grabs. lol

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

edited September 2015
    ok i think there was a little over exaggeration in the video you can see the guy do some far standing jabs to light head but...so i think its ok. it looks like they made super damage weaker though
    edited September 2015

at about 2:50 in this video he does c.lp > s.lp > headbutt > super to r.mika here. Looks like rumors are just rumors. I find it highly doubtful they would remove his c.lp > c.lp > s.lp > headbutt combo and his s.lk > c.mp combo. Rumors are that they're trying to remove the light > medium link combos.
    edited September 2015

at about 2:50 in this video he does c.lp > s.lp > headbutt > super to r.mika here. Looks like rumors are just rumors. I find it highly doubtful they would remove his c.lp > c.lp > s.lp > headbutt combo and his s.lk > c.mp combo. Rumors are that they're trying to remove the light > medium link combos.

then maybe they are saying u can't link cr. jab more than once? if that's the case, i'm fine with that...seeing as he gets his standing hp as a crush counter. his best normal just got a whole lot scarier.
    Also is it just me but does his jump chain grab seem faster? hard to tell up close but definitely seems faster at the mid range level. Either way, crisis averted.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 59,212 mod
    Supposedly there are exceptions to the new link changes so it'll be worth investigating first whenever the next beta hits.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• DANZANDANZAN Allow you to LIVE. Joined: Posts: 6,749
    here's some footage from inferno_kong.

• efireefire Joined: Posts: 7
    edited September 2015
    Finally finished a How to Birdie 101 guide! While playing and analyzing my matches, I took notes, which seemed to fall into five categories - thus the five parts of the video. I doubt most of this will be news to everyone here (and yes there's a ton more to cover - like grab mixups, combos, etc), but it will hopefully get new players up to speed on Birdie that much faster. Been lurking here awhile, really good stuff ya'll. Can't wait for the next beta.

Hard link to Normals range comparison: http://i.imgur.com/OGPjVI2.jpg
    What is Birdie saying when he eats the pepper?
  • snipeclipssnipeclips My bike on Fiyah! Joined: Posts: 52
    twocoins wrote: »

then maybe they are saying u can't link cr. jab more than once? if that's the case, i'm fine with that...seeing as he gets his standing hp as a crush counter. his best normal just got a whole lot scarier.
    Also is it just me but does his jump chain grab seem faster? hard to tell up close but definitely seems faster at the mid range level. Either way, crisis averted.

Dropped in to say I couldn't see what link you were referring to in your first video, since I did not find the standing jabs linking to each other.

As for this video, it was from a counterhit. Prompted one from the overhead and one from the crouching jab.
    Main: Captain America/Frank West/Hawkeye
    Alt: Hulk/Ghost Rider/Spencer
    Back-up: None

• PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    I think that Birdie should get a bit more from his food items.

How about, once he has full V-Trigger meter, eating food heals him?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• CloudLokuCloudLoku ! Joined: Posts: 54
    Someone of you guys can explain me the right use of the Bull horn (Hold P) ?
    I have no experience with this type of input, when I use this move? On reaction the "hold and release" thing it seems too slow, maybe on reads? But if I hold the button, can I cancel the move, like the chain throwing?
    It's possibile to use in combo?

I'm pretty confused.

Thanks!
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,891
    CloudLoku wrote: »
    I have no experience with this type of input, when I use this move? On reaction the "hold and release" thing it seems too slow, maybe on reads? But if I hold the button, can I cancel the move, like the chain throwing?

I'm pretty confused.

Thanks!

Basically you hold a button in neutral and then let go of it when you want to use the button. Figure out which button is least useful to you (probably a heavy one so you can still tech and V Skill) and just press and hold that during an animation (be it a dash, another attack, recovery, so on and so forth). Then you can release the button just as you'd use another special move which includes canceling a normal into it. It seems best as an anti-air or using the EX version (hold two buttons) to blow through attacks and fireballs thank to its armor.
    That would be insane.
  • CloudLokuCloudLoku ! Joined: Posts: 54
    edited September 2015
    Muttonman wrote: »

I'm pretty confused.

Thanks!

Basically you hold a button in neutral and then let go of it when you want to use the button. Figure out which button is least useful to you (probably a heavy one so you can still tech and V Skill) and just press and hold that during an animation (be it a dash, another attack, recovery, so on and so forth). Then you can release the button just as you'd use another special move which includes canceling a normal into it. It seems best as an anti-air or using the EX version (hold two buttons) to blow through attacks and fireballs thank to its armor.

Thanks

You think it's possible to see a change for this input?
    Because this mechanic it's impossible with a game pad.

(Ok, Arcade Stick better than GamePad for fighting game isn't a new stuff, but this thing seems doable ONLY with an Arcade stick...)

• MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,891
    Muttonman wrote: »

I'm pretty confused.

Thanks!

Thanks

You think it's possible to see a change for this input?
    Because this mechanic it's impossible with a game pad.

(Ok, Arcade Stick better than GamePad for fighting game isn't a new stuff, but this thing seems doable ONLY with an Arcade stick...)

Use a shoulder button? That's what I used to do back when I used a pad. But no, you can't see it in game.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    That would be insane.

Would it really? I don't think so. I think it's an interesting opportunity that should be explored.

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord