Horizon: Zero Dawn (Now Out!)

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,105 mod
    It's not the combat, it's the way the quests are designed, with complex sidequests that emphasize the use of witcher senseAloy's focus.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,150
    edited March 5
    Witcher has good combat :coffee:
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 7,291

It has serviceable combat. With witchers 1 and 2 combat being out and out bad.

Anyways Horizon owns so much, even when it bugs out it owns, such is its power!

It has serviceable combat. With witchers 1 and 2 combat being out and out bad.
    Naw I think it's pretty good. You have plenty of options and tools for handling a large amount of situations, and for the most part the numbers don't matter, anything can be killed at just about any level. The combat works as a whole with the product instead of something that stands out as much better or worse then the sum of it's parts. My go to game as an example of this is DMC3 where the player characters mechanics and abilities outshine everything else going on around it. It's not complimentary, it's dominating. It over shadows everything else. Amazing player expression and ability, over all bad combat when taken a whole.

I don't think Witcher 1 or 2s combat is bad either, tho it's not as good as 3's and doesn't work as well in harmony with the other mechanics that surround it. I just recently played through Witcher 1 and was surprised at how well the combat actually holds up and remains rather entertaining for how simple a system it really is. The magics not as good or useful to the whole as it should be (Igni OP), but the potion system is fantastic with interesting underlying mechanics and synergizes with the melee combat really well. Witcher 2s is still good, but I'd say the sloppiest of the 3 games since they where still working with the mouse style aiming combat where you basically click on enemies to attack them while trying to expand on what they did with Witcher 1, giving Signs a greater emphasis and set of uses, while trying to reign in just how many potions you can stack, but it doesn't really work out as well as I bet they had hoped. The clicking to attack system in a much faster paced environment while trying to juggle more mechanics because the signs are over all more useful plus they did away with the stance system going for a light and heavy system instead, combat ends up feeling kind of jumbled and sloppy, and I can see why they did away with it completely in Witcher 3. There's nothing like the Group System for Witcher 1 so getting surrounded is death, but there's no good dodging tech or movement tech for making sure you don't get surrounded. It's good, but not as good as it could be. I'm trying out a PC mod for the game that looks like it fixes the movement problem, changes the dodge from a slow clunky roll with no invul frames to a really fast and quick pirouette spin. PRobably still no i-frames, not really sure, but the faster movement and recovery alone makes a pretty big difference. Pretty interesting honestly.

Witcher 3 just had a really great synergy between all of it's systems making just about any build viable, and with the tightening of combat, hit boxes, and avatar reaction speeds, you have a RPG that supports multiple build types while not constraining and forcing the player to avoid higher level challenges, even ones 20 levels above your current because all it's systems work together well and ultimately player skills and knowledge is the dominating factor as it should be in this type of game. They really took what they where trying to do in Witcher 2 and fixed all it's problems while reworking the other sub systems to work in harmony with the main systems a lot better. You have two dodge types for that movement problem I mentioned. Getting surrounded now is pretty much completely your fault. The Potion and toxic systems reworked so the player can stack tons of potions and decoctions with the right builds, bombs are actually worth the time and investment for once, and over all it's a system that boils down to player skill and decision making with a focus on prep time and enemy knowledge combined with enemies that really make you feel the need to actually make full use of those systems (On higher diffs). Really great system and a really great balance of mechanics and sub systems.

Heh funny video.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,078
    Speaking of Sawtooths, I want to practice melee combat against them like from the clips in the skill tree.

First time I tried it my timing was off and I died, but it sounds like a satisfying way to fight them since we usually just dodge their attacks.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    Haven't encountered any of the bigger ones yet (only started playing the game last night since I just got home from 3 weeks at the hospital). My most harrowing encounter so far was the Fire Bellowback "boss" in Cauldron Sigma. I had sidequested on the way there and was low on materials for crafting (goddam wire), so it was down to me, some ice bombs, 6 sharpshot arrows, and, thanks to being careless at the start of the fight, an empty medicine pouch. Somehow, I was able to make all 6 arrows count after finding some cover where the Bellowback had trouble finding me, bringing it down twice with a couple of well placed shots to the weak points, before finishing it off.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    d3v wrote: »
    Haven't encountered any of the bigger ones yet (only started playing the game last night since I just got home from 3 weeks at the hospital). My most harrowing encounter so far was the Fire Bellowback "boss" in Cauldron Sigma. I had sidequested on the way there and was low on materials for crafting (goddam wire), so it was down to me, some ice bombs, 6 sharpshot arrows, and, thanks to being careless at the start of the fight, an empty medicine pouch. Somehow, I was able to make all 6 arrows count after finding some cover where the Bellowback had trouble finding me, bringing it down twice with a couple of well placed shots to the weak points, before finishing it off.
    And I thought I was screwed in that fight when I didn't have any ice weapons for that thing.
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 2,790
    Pertho wrote: »
    Is it good? This is one of the few Next Gen games I actually want to play.

Did you enjoy Witcher 3, then you'll enjoy Horizon since it basically follows the former's lead.

Good to hear that!!
    I need a game that would get me off of my gaming rig and back on my PS4!

Tekken 7: Kazyua, Dragnov
    Injustice: Black Adam, Starfire, Batman, Sub-Zero
    SFV: Laura
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,156
    You ever set a trap for a Snapmaw and sit on the other side watching it slowly walk up, just waiting for it to trigger it, only to have it suddenly lunge 300ft and take your head off?

Me neither.

Gotta have that Shock Trap in the bushes with you just in case. B)
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,963
    I just finished my first cauldron. Almost didn't make it past that boss until I remembered to use my traps and then move in with the Critical Hit skill. Yeah, it's definitely important to use your full arsenal of weapons and skills. I'm starting to get a better grip on the combat and it's really opening up, letting you decide how to defeat fuckers. This game is so fucking rad.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    chadouken! wrote: »
    I just finished my first cauldron. Almost didn't make it past that boss until I remembered to use my traps and then move in with the Critical Hit skill. Yeah, it's definitely important to use your full arsenal of weapons and skills. I'm starting to get a better grip on the combat and it's really opening up, letting you decide how to defeat fuckers. This game is so fucking rad.

Yea, things got much better for me when I stopped neglecting other things in my arsenal. That slingshot weapon comes in handy.
  • Sanada-kunSanada-kun Joined: Posts: 714
    That moment when you figure out the best way 2 take down a machine just feels so rewarding. Took down my first storm bird today. Thunderjaw is on another lvl tho. I took one down but it was only because some soldiers were fighting one and I joined in. Still ain't taken one down by myself yet but looking forward to figuring it out.
    So does this game have a pretty good/extensive Beastiary?
  • angelpalmangelpalm Oink oink Joined: Posts: 23,342 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Still wondering if Aloy was based off of Madeline Stuart

maddy.jpg
    Just kidding, she looks better in movement than some of the pics showed earlier, BUT her young self totally looked special. Probably why she was an outcast to begin with XD
  • VASagaVASaga Not Yet Strange! Let Them Wait Joined: Posts: 1,607
    damn, she got a dbz forehead
    "I must have ascended to a higher plane of thinking than most because I play Dr Strange"
    One thing I've noticed is just how "dangerous" simply going from point A to point B can be. You can't just follow the road and expect minimal encounters. Heck, I seem to get into more trouble by following the road.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,883
    edited March 6
    One thing I've noticed is just how "dangerous" simply going from point A to point B can be. You can't just follow the road and expect minimal encounters. Heck, I seem to get into more trouble by following the road.

This! Going anywhere can get you fucked. :rofl:
    So does this game have a pretty good/extensive Beastiary?

There are flipping alligator robots that breath ice and crab ones that go ham with ground pounds.

To answer your question, yes.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
    All I've taken photos of are the game's god rays. This engine does really great looking god rays.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    Hunting animals is second nature at this point.

I'm Level 21 heading towards Meridian.
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    It's so satisfying smacking small fauna with the R1 attack.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    edited March 6
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Any tips on the skill tree?
    I think getting to Tinker will be important so you can switch elemental buffs to weapons without losing your mods. That way you can switch on the fly depending on the situation.

I've found Critical Hit to be very useful too.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    Yeah I was thinking that too as soon as I read it. I started off grabbing the Concentration, Silent Strike, and the first forage skill that leads to Tinker when I first got my points but wasn't sure what else to get. I looked around ign was saying to get lure call but I was like shit I can just pick up rocks for that shit lol. Now I fucked around and got all the 1 point things just for the fuck of it. Gonna grind a few levels out later tomorrow to try and get tinker asap.
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,172
    First thing I went for was indefinite overrides. Then silent sprint. The damage buff and extra looting skills are good, too.

All that after you get the whistle and silent strike skills of course.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
    First thing I went for were the silent kills and the skill that allows you to attract folks by whistling. Too useful for thinning out the herds.
    edited March 6
    Most of the skills r pretty useful even the ones that arent that useful i found myself getting them because there was a skill below them that i wanted but at start I got silent strike first then I went for the tinker skill.
    Post edited by Sanada-kun on
    First thing I went for was the double sized medicine pouch.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    edited March 7
    I spent way too long on the Shadow Hunter Bow tutorial.

It wasn't never clear to me which machines had armor to shoot off, so I started hunting Sawtooths since they keep their Blaze hidden behind armor. Later I stealth kill a Scrapper and noticedall of the armor that fell off of it. -.-

I'm still trading melee hits with Sawtooths too.
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,883
    Got silent kills and sprint first. Then concentration, double arrow and lastly tinker.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    I'm still trading melee hits with Sawtooths too.

For Sawteeth, I just use a combination of rope and trip casters to keep them away and set up fire arrow shots.

That, or I just hack one and use it to take out the others.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    Tinker is already paying off. Being able to switch mods to take down and stun enemies with the sling in one hit is awesome. I did the Valleymeet Hunting Grounds challenge, which focuses on elemental damage, so fucking fast. For the shock challenge I equipped a legendary and a rare mod that both increase shock damage to the Carja sling, then switched them to two freeze mods for the freeze trial. They were almost over before they began, lol.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    edited March 7
    I'm glad the unrepentant optimizer in me saw the value of that shit.
    Post edited by angelpalm on
    I made it to the desert last night and got murdered by this big fucking robot bird.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,172
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Just got stuck in a rock..........need to start making manual saves I guess :bawling:

You couldn't fast travel out?
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
    edited March 8
    I really think Horizon got the balance of difficulty just right between the usual cakewalk that game's tend to be, and the more "masocore" Souls-like games. The combat is challenging, and you will die, unlike with the former, but it doesn't reach the brutal, trial and and make a lot of errors difficulty of the latter.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    I really think Horizon got the balance of difficulty just right between the usual cakewalk that game's tend to be, and the more "masocore" Souls-like games. The combat is challenging, and you will die, unlike with the former, but it doesn't reach the brutal, trial and and make a lot of errors difficulty of the latter.

I agree d3v. I have died a quite a few times but I have never felt like anything was overly difficult but at the same time the game isn't so easy that everything is a cake walk. 9/10 when u approach a situation u gotta go in with a plan u can't just go in guns (or should I say bows) blazing cause u will either died or end up using a shit ton of resources and meds. Override adds another lvl to battle planning as well, I managed to override a thunderjaw early when I was surrounded by 2 ravagers and 3 watchers, man that thing cleaned house.

It also does a gd job of making everything rewarding, beating robots can always lead to getting really gd weapon mods and because you have to craft ur ammo it's sometimes a necessity
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,394
    edited March 8
    Went to Gamestop yesterday and traded in Nioh for this game. I just don't give a fuck the storyline in Nioh; every mission felt like the same grind. I'm only 2 hours in this game and I am already hooked on the story. Hunting down these machines never felt so good!
    I mean, goddamn, the intro CG before I even get to start a new game has more storyline than Nioh!
    Circleoflife5.png
    Post edited by NinetiesArcade on
    =============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

Lol my girl was talking to me while the game was idle and I saw the npc's glitch out like the fucking matrix, over here pulling the same parts off a robot over and over.