Horizon: Zero Dawn (Now Out!)

Comments

• CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 5,915
    I started using it yesterday. Very necessary once you're in the desert.

I've found myself using less stealth tactics - feeling more confident in my use of the overall weaponry. Took down a +6 Thunderjaw last night.
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 2,411
    Trading in WWE 2k17 and Overwatch for Horizon during my lunch break.

Any tips for upgrading the skill tree and boss battle tips?
    SFV: Laura & Akuma...TEAM "DAT AZZ" & MURDER-FACE
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 994
    edited March 9
    Depends on how you want to play.

I've focused on Prowler skills cause I like stealth whenever I can use it, but Brave skills will help you in combat, while Forager skills help you with crafting and resources.

Just depends on what you want. I'm 30 hours in and I've dipped my feet in each area.

Edit: As for "bosses", the bigger they are, the more you want to focus on breaking off parts and weapons on their body.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    CDB2 wrote: »

The best thing about Horizon is that there is no "correct" way to advance the skill tree. It's literally going with what will best fit how you want to play.
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    Depends on how you want to play.

I've focused on Prowler skills cause I like stealth whenever I can use it, but Brave skills will help you in combat, while Forager skills help you with crafting and resources.

Just depends on what you want. I'm 30 hours in and I've dipped my feet in each area.

Edit: As for "bosses", the bigger they are, the more you want to focus on breaking off parts and weapons on their body.
    CTG wrote: »

The best thing about Horizon is that there is no "correct" way to advance the skill tree. It's literally going with what will best fit how you want to play.

Not starting with Stealth Strike and Lure is WRONG, tho... :whistle:

Noted on all these!!
    Thanks!!
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,761 mod
    If you just keep ding sidequests, you'll hit the 20s quite easily. By then, you'll have enough skill points to go down one column in each tree.

Here's mine at level 27.
    kKJAEk6.jpg

If I'd ever change anything, it would probably be switching the extended override time for more critical hit damage. But then again, I use override a lot the way I play. Also, didn't originally plan to go down Forager that much, but the extra ammo on crafting (2nd to the last on the last column) is pretty much necessary once you get the purple weapons, especially the shadow ropecaster whose heavy rope uses 10 wire to craft.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• Sanada-kunSanada-kun Joined: Posts: 645
    d3v wrote: »
    If you just keep ding sidequests, you'll hit the 20s quite easily. By then, you'll have enough skill points to go down one column in each tree.

Here's mine at level 27.
    kKJAEk6.jpg

If I'd ever change anything, it would probably be switching the extended override time for more critical hit damage. But then again, I use override a lot the way I play. Also, didn't originally plan to go down Forager that much, but the extra ammo on crafting (2nd to the last on the last column) is pretty much necessary once you get the purple weapons, especially the shadow ropecaster whose heavy rope uses 10 wire to craft.

Yeah wire has been the only thing I have found myself running out of a few times. Mostly cause of the ropecaster but a lot of other things use it as well.
    edited March 10
    Having to stock up on wire makes me wish the game let you buy multiples of one item.

EDIT:
    Engadget feature on Aloy's VA Ashly Burch, who apparently spent 2 years recording all the lines for Aloy.
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/09/video-game-voice-actor-ashly-birch-horizon-hey-ash/

Also, whoever did that article definitely had fun with the game's photo mode.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,591
    No silent sprint? Smh

Need to feel the joy of sprinting through a herd and murdering everything before you're discovered.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Pancakes are delicious yo Joined: Posts: 22,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah I don't see they need for lure early on when rocjs do the same shit. Or is there a specific difference Idk about?
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Yeah I don't see they need for lure early on when rocjs do the same shit. Or is there a specific difference Idk about?

Lure always draws a single target towards you, which is hella useful when playing stealth.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 26,855
    Yea, rocks tip everything off.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Angelpalm just wants to tell them to kick rocks.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
    Okay just started my playthrough...

HOLY FuK!!
    The game looks gorgeous and fights are intense!

Man is not King, in this world!!
    Striders coming back to attack you after killing one of their own, caught me by surprise!! :o

So glad that I took you all's advice about Silent Strike and Concentration!!
    edited March 10

I don't remember saying it's wrong - that's just how I chose to play.

Exact quote:
    First thing I went for were the silent kills and the skill that allows you to attract folks by whistling. Too useful for thinning out the herds.

At this point, both are too useful to not go for them immediately, or at least after picking up concentration.

IMO, first six skill points should go to concentration, silent strike, lure, and then healer just so you can get herbalist.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

herbalist? :smokin:
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,568
    herbalist? :smokin:
    She really is a fucking wook. I knew I had seen her at a Phish show one time.
    This SRK nonsense will never stop.
    -jimmy1200, unbanned

I don't remember saying it's wrong - that's just how I chose to play.

Exact quote:
    First thing I went for were the silent kills and the skill that allows you to attract folks by whistling. Too useful for thinning out the herds.

I'm saying it's wrong lol

You gotta get those skills first. Hell, they should've been default.

Taking a break from Horizon by watching Kong on Imax.

Managed to fill out all of the 1st tier level skills, and killed the Skynet...er, I mean..the Override machine.

Huge protip for fellow beginners, do all....and I mean all of the 1st 3 sidequests and after picking the tripcaster, get the rope caster!!!!

I repat...

GET THE Ropecaster!!!!!
    I hope in the next update they add a sort function. My items are all over the fucking place
    d3v wrote: »
    Bit of trivia. Aloy was modeled after Dutch actress Hannah Hoekstra.
    Hannah_Hoekstra-het_Nationale_Toneel-Sabrina_Bongiovanni_site_2.jpg

Still tripping on the fact that this is the VA

tumblr_moq7fddpHs1s41czho3_r1_500.gif
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,338
    She's nothing like her brother, thankfully.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    Game really is fun. I have been getting a lot of use out of the mount. Gonna make some more saves and find different ways to get the mount stuck somewhere.
    Are you able to mount different robots or just the striders?
    Game really is fun. I have been getting a lot of use out of the mount. Gonna make some more saves and find different ways to get the mount stuck somewhere.
    Are you able to mount different robots or just the striders?

I've mounted the strider and the broadhead (the one that looks like a bull with horns) so far.
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
    Striders, broadheads, and chargers. Sadly, thunderjaws cannot be mounted (need to give them dutch devs stronger drugs than pot).
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 994
    I want to mount a
    Stormbird
    in the next game.

Even though that would require different controls lol.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    Some players are now saying that there's apparently enough stuff in the game that's pointing to a possible expansion set in the "forbidden west."
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

If u could mount a stormbird there wouldnt b any point in mounting anything else lol
    Stormbird are less common and harder to override tho lol

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,981
    Bahdum tch!
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • JackTenrac!JackTenrac! Dollar Yen - Level 304 Joined: Posts: 2,808
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    I want to mount a
    Stormbird
    in the next game.

Even though that would require different controls lol.

- me, too. Stupid ass game doesn't let you do it. That bird is a BEAST!
    - how do you get 43% Stealth? one of my friends got it and I'm mad jealous at that stat!
    Brett at T7- "Bearrama?!"
    ओये! सौभाग्य!
    Probably just loaded the sneaking armor with purple stealth mods.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

-Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

edited March 13
    This fucking bird.
    PS_Messages_20170312_185958.jpg
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,017
    beat this game today, such a great experience and def. one of my fav games this gen :)
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
    Aww shiet nigga we Zelda now!
    zelda-cartoon-link-bomb-jump-bomb-shield-jump-14303882890.gif?id=

Maaan, Sawtooth vs. everything else is hilarious. Managed to override one en route to one of the mission and that thing just plowed any machines I came across :rock_on:

niggga, you telling me we can eventually override that motherfucker!!!!

yoda-real-shit.png

We about the Skynet one aka (Corruptor) and the T-Rex one!?
    :o
    Can they be overriden?
  • KimuraLOXKimuraLOX Step into my zone, mad rhymes will stifle ya Joined: Posts: 3,965
    edited March 13
    Yes, Metal Gear Rex can be overriden.
    Post edited by KimuraLOX on
    Too bad they just turn in place all day lol.

Corruptors are the only ones that can't be overriden.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 21,620
    Finally started the game.
    I am at the part of the game when you finally start travelling around the world (i am lvl 11) and i am really impressed so far.
    The game feels really nice and responsive, plus every weapon feels like it makes sense on the context of the game so far.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Been having so much fun killing stuff, I've outleveled the story by at least 15. Might have to up the difficulty to the max.

Oops.
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hecatom wrote: »
    Finally started the game.
    I am at the part of the game when you finally start travelling around the world (i am lvl 11) and i am really impressed so far.
    The game feels really nice and responsive, plus every weapon feels like it makes sense on the context of the game so far.

I got level 21 and just now leaving North Gate and still have side quests to do.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
    Wouldn't be a open world game without the occasional glitch or two.
    m2z7kDc.jpg
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara