Horizon: Zero Dawn (Now Out!)

Comments

• CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,164
    First thing I went for were the silent kills and the skill that allows you to attract folks by whistling. Too useful for thinning out the herds.
  • Sanada-kunSanada-kun Joined: Posts: 716
    edited March 6
    Most of the skills r pretty useful even the ones that arent that useful i found myself getting them because there was a skill below them that i wanted but at start I got silent strike first then I went for the tinker skill.
    Post edited by Sanada-kun on
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,752 mod
    First thing I went for was the double sized medicine pouch.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,125
    edited March 7
    I spent way too long on the Shadow Hunter Bow tutorial.

It wasn't never clear to me which machines had armor to shoot off, so I started hunting Sawtooths since they keep their Blaze hidden behind armor. Later I stealth kill a Scrapper and noticedall of the armor that fell off of it. -.-

I'm still trading melee hits with Sawtooths too.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 4,006
    Got silent kills and sprint first. Then concentration, double arrow and lastly tinker.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    I'm still trading melee hits with Sawtooths too.

For Sawteeth, I just use a combination of rope and trip casters to keep them away and set up fire arrow shots.

That, or I just hack one and use it to take out the others.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,088
    Tinker is already paying off. Being able to switch mods to take down and stun enemies with the sling in one hit is awesome. I did the Valleymeet Hunting Grounds challenge, which focuses on elemental damage, so fucking fast. For the shock challenge I equipped a legendary and a rare mod that both increase shock damage to the Carja sling, then switched them to two freeze mods for the freeze trial. They were almost over before they began, lol.
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Yes, I'm still pissed. Yes, go fuck yourself Darkfaggotasshole.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 24,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 7
    I'm glad the unrepentant optimizer in me saw the value of that shit.
    Post edited by angelpalm on
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
    I made it to the desert last night and got murdered by this big fucking robot bird.
    Just got stuck in a rock..........need to start making manual saves I guess :bawling:
    Mains:
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,308
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Just got stuck in a rock..........need to start making manual saves I guess :bawling:

You couldn't fast travel out?
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
    edited March 8
    I really think Horizon got the balance of difficulty just right between the usual cakewalk that game's tend to be, and the more "masocore" Souls-like games. The combat is challenging, and you will die, unlike with the former, but it doesn't reach the brutal, trial and and make a lot of errors difficulty of the latter.
    d3v wrote: »
    I really think Horizon got the balance of difficulty just right between the usual cakewalk that game's tend to be, and the more "masocore" Souls-like games. The combat is challenging, and you will die, unlike with the former, but it doesn't reach the brutal, trial and and make a lot of errors difficulty of the latter.

I agree d3v. I have died a quite a few times but I have never felt like anything was overly difficult but at the same time the game isn't so easy that everything is a cake walk. 9/10 when u approach a situation u gotta go in with a plan u can't just go in guns (or should I say bows) blazing cause u will either died or end up using a shit ton of resources and meds. Override adds another lvl to battle planning as well, I managed to override a thunderjaw early when I was surrounded by 2 ravagers and 3 watchers, man that thing cleaned house.

It also does a gd job of making everything rewarding, beating robots can always lead to getting really gd weapon mods and because you have to craft ur ammo it's sometimes a necessity
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,473
    edited March 8
    Went to Gamestop yesterday and traded in Nioh for this game. I just don't give a fuck the storyline in Nioh; every mission felt like the same grind. I'm only 2 hours in this game and I am already hooked on the story. Hunting down these machines never felt so good!
    I mean, goddamn, the intro CG before I even get to start a new game has more storyline than Nioh!
    Circleoflife5.png
    Post edited by NinetiesArcade on
    =============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

So whitey the last mohican is better than whitey the last samurai?
    Mains:
    Lol my girl was talking to me while the game was idle and I saw the npc's glitch out like the fucking matrix, over here pulling the same parts off a robot over and over.
    Mains:
    I started using it yesterday. Very necessary once you're in the desert.

I've found myself using less stealth tactics - feeling more confident in my use of the overall weaponry. Took down a +6 Thunderjaw last night.
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 3,043
    Trading in WWE 2k17 and Overwatch for Horizon during my lunch break.

Any tips for upgrading the skill tree and boss battle tips?

Tekken 7: Kazyua, Dragnov
    Injustice: Black Adam, Starfire, Batman, Sub-Zero
    SFV: Laura, Menat
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,125
    edited March 9
    Depends on how you want to play.

I've focused on Prowler skills cause I like stealth whenever I can use it, but Brave skills will help you in combat, while Forager skills help you with crafting and resources.

Just depends on what you want. I'm 30 hours in and I've dipped my feet in each area.

Edit: As for "bosses", the bigger they are, the more you want to focus on breaking off parts and weapons on their body.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
    CDB2 wrote: »

The best thing about Horizon is that there is no "correct" way to advance the skill tree. It's literally going with what will best fit how you want to play.
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    Depends on how you want to play.

I've focused on Prowler skills cause I like stealth whenever I can use it, but Brave skills will help you in combat, while Forager skills help you with crafting and resources.

Just depends on what you want. I'm 30 hours in and I've dipped my feet in each area.

Edit: As for "bosses", the bigger they are, the more you want to focus on breaking off parts and weapons on their body.
    CTG wrote: »

The best thing about Horizon is that there is no "correct" way to advance the skill tree. It's literally going with what will best fit how you want to play.

Not starting with Stealth Strike and Lure is WRONG, tho... :whistle:

Noted on all these!!
    Thanks!!

If you just keep ding sidequests, you'll hit the 20s quite easily. By then, you'll have enough skill points to go down one column in each tree.

Here's mine at level 27.
    kKJAEk6.jpg

If I'd ever change anything, it would probably be switching the extended override time for more critical hit damage. But then again, I use override a lot the way I play. Also, didn't originally plan to go down Forager that much, but the extra ammo on crafting (2nd to the last on the last column) is pretty much necessary once you get the purple weapons, especially the shadow ropecaster whose heavy rope uses 10 wire to craft.
    d3v wrote: »
    If you just keep ding sidequests, you'll hit the 20s quite easily. By then, you'll have enough skill points to go down one column in each tree.

Here's mine at level 27.
    kKJAEk6.jpg

If I'd ever change anything, it would probably be switching the extended override time for more critical hit damage. But then again, I use override a lot the way I play. Also, didn't originally plan to go down Forager that much, but the extra ammo on crafting (2nd to the last on the last column) is pretty much necessary once you get the purple weapons, especially the shadow ropecaster whose heavy rope uses 10 wire to craft.

Yeah wire has been the only thing I have found myself running out of a few times. Mostly cause of the ropecaster but a lot of other things use it as well.
    edited March 10
    Having to stock up on wire makes me wish the game let you buy multiples of one item.

EDIT:
    Engadget feature on Aloy's VA Ashly Burch, who apparently spent 2 years recording all the lines for Aloy.
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/09/video-game-voice-actor-ashly-birch-horizon-hey-ash/

Also, whoever did that article definitely had fun with the game's photo mode.
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 4,006
    No silent sprint? Smh

Need to feel the joy of sprinting through a herd and murdering everything before you're discovered.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
    Yeah I don't see they need for lure early on when rocjs do the same shit. Or is there a specific difference Idk about?
    Mains:
    Yeah I don't see they need for lure early on when rocjs do the same shit. Or is there a specific difference Idk about?

Lure always draws a single target towards you, which is hella useful when playing stealth.
    Yea, rocks tip everything off.

• jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Angelpalm just wants to tell them to kick rocks.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
    Okay just started my playthrough...

HOLY FuK!!
    The game looks gorgeous and fights are intense!

Man is not King, in this world!!
    Striders coming back to attack you after killing one of their own, caught me by surprise!! :o

So glad that I took you all's advice about Silent Strike and Concentration!!

edited March 10

I don't remember saying it's wrong - that's just how I chose to play.

Exact quote:
    First thing I went for were the silent kills and the skill that allows you to attract folks by whistling. Too useful for thinning out the herds.

At this point, both are too useful to not go for them immediately, or at least after picking up concentration.

IMO, first six skill points should go to concentration, silent strike, lure, and then healer just so you can get herbalist.
    herbalist? :smokin:
    Mains:
    herbalist? :smokin:
    She really is a fucking wook. I knew I had seen her at a Phish show one time.

I don't remember saying it's wrong - that's just how I chose to play.

Exact quote:

I'm saying it's wrong lol

You gotta get those skills first. Hell, they should've been default.