Ryu General Thread: Eternal Wanderer

NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist.Joined: Posts: 5,905
edited February 2016 in Ryu
I apologize if there is already a thread but I didn't see one and Ryu definitely needs one. Ryu seems really strong which is wonderful.

Use this thread to discuss him.

Seems like the parry window is pretty small and its not always easy to follow up which sucks but it is what it is.
Post edited by jchensor on
Northeast PA
570 Necro

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,455 mod
    Hmm... something seems to have gone screwy with the move. For some reason, instead of being moved, the thread got deleted, and when trying to restore it, only this first post was restored.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • FeiWrongFeiWrong Joined: Posts: 358
    I'm looking forward to see all the great tech shared in the Ryu forum!
  • Mr. FlowersMr. Flowers Omega Male Joined: Posts: 2,087 mod
    d3v wrote: »
    Hmm... something seems to have gone screwy with the move. For some reason, instead of being moved, the thread got deleted, and when trying to restore it, only this first post was restored.
    :(

At least the Ryu general discussion will have fresh info closer to the front. Unlike every other character with dozens of pages of beta talk.
    Don't nerf me!
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,218 mod
    Is Diego gonna play Raiyu?

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,049

@d3v What's funny is that most/maybe all of the comments from the old thread merged into the "The Masked Narcissist Enters The Tournament: Vega Thread"
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,455 mod
    AceKombat wrote: »

@d3v What's funny is that most/maybe all of the comments from the old thread merged into the "The Masked Narcissist Enters The Tournament: Vega Thread"

That's plain old weird.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • fischbsfischbs stop that Joined: Posts: 1,171
    edited February 2016
    Anyone remember what else you can do off 3 hit TC VT cancel besides:
    • TC xx VT, LK Tatsu, CA
    • TC xx VT, H/EX Shoryu
    • TC xx VT, M/EX Tatsu (EX does little damage but side swaps)
    • TC xx VT, really any normal that will reach (st.hk works, and its slow)
    • st.mp, TC xx VT, CA (can't juggle into anything except CA as first st.mp pushes you too far out to connect Tatsu/Shoryu)
    I know that I could be wrong about the st.mp lead in not connecting to anything except CA while in the corner, and I know I'm missing something here as there were some things I didn't know posted in the old Ryu thread.

Also wondering if:
    • 2 hit TC, xx VT, H Shoryu xx CA
    will work, because I know that the H Shoryu can't cancel into CA off the 3 hit TC because the Shoryu hits too meaty and they get launched too high for CA to connect. I don't think anyone has experimented with just the 2 hit version (straight up st.hp xx st.hk) to try and find differences between it and the 3 hit. Maybe you can link into full EX Tatsu off 2 hit VT, or hit H Tatsu (can't off 3 hit), etc etc.
    You can use BBCode in your post. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • ranixranix Joined: Posts: 581
    you can do 2 hit TC, VT, st lp dash for a cross down.
    you can also time the dash to stay on the same side. Can be a nice mix up reset.
    bisous
  • Deadpool_MercDeadpool_Merc 天 WE BACK BABY Joined: Posts: 1,415
    holy shit Ryu's board is empty as fuck.

It looks like Ryu's got a lot of his old combos back. He can do ex tatsu into ex dp in the corner again and link down fierce after solar plexus.
    SFV - Gouki/Bison/Urien, Ed, Cammy, Ken. Gonna learn Laura and Chun someday....someday

SAGAT WHERE YOU AT BRUH?
  • priamos1priamos1 Joined: Posts: 16
    holy shit Ryu's board is empty as fuck.

It looks like Ryu's got a lot of his old combos back. He can do ex tatsu into ex dp in the corner again and link down fierce after solar plexus.

A lot of the other characters are getting tons of really informative videos and stuff to talk about. As far as Ryu is concerned though, every good video out there seems to be 5 months old or more.
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,126
    ^

I posted this not too long ago, everything you see here is still working in SFV final version.
    the matches are solid and I do think I have played well except my few execution errors on the SRK.
    Im working on some ken stuff vids now, but I will be back on the ryu section ASAP with new stuff

www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
  • JAMSMASTERPJAMSMASTERP Joined: Posts: 389
    Vtrigger super is unblockable or no?
    Superstar
  • KneelB4MeKneelB4Me CVS2! Joined: Posts: 810
    edited February 2016
    You can block it. Its so fast that you can activate V-Trigger and use super to punish a fireball from full screen tho. With good timing.
    I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them.
    More K less A
  • MnszykMnszyk Joined: Posts: 990
    Denjin super still guard crushes on block, yes.
  • amrraedamrraed put WW in SF5 Joined: Posts: 4,442
    edited February 2016
    It is nice that they brought back his combos. I feel that TC is much more useful now.
    Street Fighter 5 : Chun-Li, R.Mika, Juri (MIA) We Kolin now.
    Injustice 2 : Wonder Woman, Superman.
    Tekken 7 : Lars, Katarina, Master Raven.

PSN ID : moraelgamed
    CFN: Thxymora
    Yes, i play T7 and I2 and i still like SF5 more than both of them, sue me.
  • redrapperredrapper I don't even use this name no more... Joined: Posts: 622
    guys... guys...

low forward... it's back... it's... guys... ;_;
    I don't know what to put here.
  • The IlluminatiThe Illuminati Joined: Posts: 656
    They fixed it?!
    it feels like it reaches farther. I can do solar plexus > st.mp > cr mk into tatsu. I'm almost positive it reaches farther than the last beta.
  • ReworkRework Joined: Posts: 89
    redrapper wrote: »
    it feels like it reaches farther. I can do solar plexus > st.mp > cr mk into tatsu. I'm almost positive it reaches farther than the last beta.

that worked during the previous betas, for sure during the third beta
    I'm still fairly sure it reaches farther. IF anybody wants to do a comparison maybe I'm just tired because it's late, but booting up the game it's immediately the first thing I noticed. Like in the Beta it felt as if the tip of Ryu's foot sort of just phased through cats or it didn't hit. I've gotten a consistent hit every time. If that makes any sense.
    nm. I'm an idiot... it seems the same. ;_;
  • AquamandogAquamandog Joined: Posts: 66
    V-trigger Ryu in the corner can do something like this on block-

St.mp>cr.hp>hp.dp>CA -gaurd crush- st.mp>hp.dp

I'm not a big tech guy so if you guys see anything to improve that would be cool. I think there might be something neat in there, canceling into v-trigger and getting almost guaranteed damage. What do you guys think?
  • ranixranix Joined: Posts: 581
    have to be sure that opponent has no vtrigger meter. else he can just V reversal it.

only work with opponent in the corner:

jump hp, st hp, vtrigger, hp shoryu, denjin hadoken, st mp hp shoryu.
    guaranted 200 damage.
    nice to close a round.
    bisous
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,667
    nm. I'm an idiot... it seems the same. ;_;
    Don't play with my heart like that
  • J_ismJ_ism Hungry fighter Joined: Posts: 145
    Just use st.MK :coffee:

I could do that in beta 4 too
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,697
    Okay so where the hell are my AA buttons? S.hp and c.hp both got nerfed to hell in that aspect.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
    Okay so where the hell are my AA buttons? S.hp and c.hp both got nerfed to hell in that aspect.

st. HK still good from specific distances especially vs zangief who got that damn air throw which catches SRK lol I use st. HK
  • The IlluminatiThe Illuminati Joined: Posts: 656
    What are his best reaching normals?
  • ReworkRework Joined: Posts: 89
    What are his best reaching normals?

f.hp > b.hk > st.hk = sweep > st.mk from longest to shortest i believe. The most practical ones are sweep and st.mk. b.hk is good too but has a lot of recovery, if someone one jumps while you do it you'll be eating a full combo, kind of applies to sweep too but at least that hits low.
  • muttonmutton Joined: Posts: 37
    Looking at his frame data in the FAT app, it's interesting that Ryu's fireballs now differ in startup with jab hadoken actually being the slowest at 14 and fierce hadoken being the fastest with 12 but also being the most - on block.

In IV they were all the same startup and total frames, but in ST jab fireball recovered faster...so it's interesting that it's different in V. It's almost as if Capcom are saying "full screen fireballs aren't gonna be that good in this game so here's a faster startup fierce fireball for footsies!" I wanna see total frames for all the fireballs now...
    My "chronicles of a scrub": http://beingascrub.com/
  • JokeeBoiJokeeBoi Literally nobody. Joined: Posts: 1,697
    Since when does he get Crush Countered if he whiffs a parry?
    The only thing I really know is that I don't know a damn thing.
  • mowrmowr VROOM VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,614
    Parry has had counterhit properties on recovery frames since beta. Would parry be too good if he could cancel the parry not just into another parry, but also into a throw? I think it's sort of whack that you can get thrown out of parrying a jab.
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=RQ68z3v1Ls0

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,361
    JokeeBoi wrote: »
    Since when does he get Crush Countered if he whiffs a parry?

He's always been in a CH-state on parry recovery, as far as I know.
    mutton wrote: »
    Looking at his frame data in the FAT app, it's interesting that Ryu's fireballs now differ in startup with jab hadoken actually being the slowest at 14 and fierce hadoken being the fastest with 12 but also being the most - on block.

In IV they were all the same startup and total frames, but in ST jab fireball recovered faster...so it's interesting that it's different in V. It's almost as if Capcom are saying "full screen fireballs aren't gonna be that good in this game so here's a faster startup fierce fireball for footsies!" I wanna see total frames for all the fireballs now...

What are their exact frames on block? I recall them both being pretty bad, but if LP is less negative, then that might affect how they are used in the close range.
  • J_ismJ_ism Hungry fighter Joined: Posts: 145
    mowr wrote: »
    Parry has had counterhit properties on recovery frames since beta. Would parry be too good if he could cancel the parry not just into another parry, but also into a throw? I think it's sort of whack that you can get thrown out of parrying a jab.

also blocking, since it doesn't even cancel into that :disappointed:
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,811

B+hk is really good for people who are above you, like those crossup happy guys.

S.hk I try to use everytime the distance is right because a CC converts into a tatsu and super if you have meter.
  • fischbsfischbs stop that Joined: Posts: 1,171
    edited February 2016
    mutton wrote: »

LP Hado recovers fastest, slowest startup, least total frames (45f); HP Hado is the inverse and has the worst frame advantage on block/hit (and most total frames, 47f). VT reduces total frames of fireball by 1. It also has the uncanny ability of making your opponent jump uncontrollably at least twice for a free DP.

Unrelated Thoughts:
    My hardest matchup right now is probably Vega. Tips are appreciated. Slide always punishable on block or can it be spaced safely? I know it's about -13 (as of B3 AFAIK) but I don't know how many active frames it has. Comes out so fast though, especially in a marginally crummy connection.

Landing a st.hk CC is the most satisfying read you can make. Shame we can't convert with f+hp. I've just been going with st.hk, st.lk xx M Tatsu as a meterless followup (or L Tatsu if I have super stocked). st.hk (CC) xx VT, st.hp, cr.hp xx H Shoryu xx CA is disgusting as a full meter dump, but even without CA it hurts.

Seems like EX DP isn't useful as an ender, only 20 more damage, same stun as H Shoryu (IIRC). Great AA. Maybe it gives you better oki than H Shoryu, doesn't look like it at first glance though.
    You can use BBCode in your post. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Mikey996Mikey996 Joined: Posts: 9
    Does any one have any thoughts on the Nash matchup so far? I've been trying to play patiently and walk them into the corner but he has so many escape options. I'm having trouble anti airing his moonsault even though they seem to love doing it from 3/4 screen after a fireball.
    edited February 2016
    Mikey996 wrote: »
    Does any one have any thoughts on the Nash matchup so far? I've been trying to play patiently and walk them into the corner but he has so many escape options. I'm having trouble anti airing his moonsault even though they seem to love doing it from 3/4 screen after a fireball.

it's pretty even IMO
    good nash players will do the lp MS from mid and long range though to bait your srk but most of the time you can see it in time and AA
    the player with the most patience wins usually

Edit: Just tried to st.hk cc on a whiffed EX FK of nash and my st.hk whiffed.
    Post edited by LiangHuBBB on