SFV Character Request/Anticipation Thread

d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPITJoined: Posts: 36,509 mod
Since the board is getting cluttered with a number of threads all about the same thing, I'm doing a clean up and making it so that all talk about unannounced characters (returning, new or otherwise) that people want only takes place in one single thread - this one. All previous threads have now been merged into this one.
You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
-Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
-PersiaXO

Comments

• stallion150stallion150 Joined: Posts: 93
    Hey guys, what new characters do you want to see in SF5 that are part of the Capcom universe but have never been been in a street fighter game?

My picks are: Lynn Kurosawa (she was in aliens vs predator), Goutetsu, or Mike Haggar.
  • JeanLucAwesomeJeanLucAwesome Joined: Posts: 115
    Characters from buried Capcom fighters would be great, Rival Schools, Power Stone, hell I'd consider Darkstalkers buried now too so even that.
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    I just want a Sonny Chiba character.

"I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Tom, Dorai, Zeku (no Guy if he appears though), Haggar (no Zangief if he appears), Bandaged child (from SF4), Makoto's brother (no Makoto if he appears), Rose's master (no Rose if she appears)

• pootnanniespootnannies mr. negative Joined: Posts: 3,121
    i just want Oro, Alex, and Necro and i don't want dumbed down versions of them like Makoto in SF4. that was a major disappointment for me when super came out and Makoto was a little bitch with a shitty karakusa and relied on a weird new axe air kick to do everything. that's also why i don't want Makoto in this version because i know they will mess her up.
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,918
    Daemos wrote: »
    Godo:

A male member of Delta Red that is a cross between the guy in Cammy's SF4 prologue and a male version of Tracy from Battle Arena Toshinden. He hails from Portugal.

His fighting style is inspired by the Krav Maga. Which is a hungarian/israeli combat fighting style used by law enforcement as well as military.

His name comes from one of my favorite childhood animes Phoenix 2772.
    I liked this, the others I don't really see them working in SF either in gameplay or background, you try to make the things too much grounded in real world (including a lot of not really popular countries), I don't think that's the idea with Street Fighter.

As for Celestine, make it a female, I think mainly weapon-users are for games like King of Fighters, so I don't really see that in Street Fighter, that is really hardcore into martial artists.
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,126
    a character that got Garudas style
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
  • SideshowRobSideshowRob Brb, busy saving anime Joined: Posts: 321
    edited December 2014
    More South American, African, and Middle Eastern characters pls. And from anywhere besides Brazil and Kenya again.

Just more brown characters who aren't stereotypes. Looking at you, Dhalsim, Hakkan, and Elena. :/

But for Capcom characters who haven't appeared in an SF game, uhhh... Remy's dad? Sure, he left his family to fight, etc, but there's a story to mine from that, I'm sure.
  • Jazz catJazz cat Joined: Posts: 239
    off the top of my head right now:
    An australian stereotypical dundee, style: cody crossed with mick dundee (i'm australian. no racist)

A female version of Ken. Doesn't give a shit, non-serious attitude, beach babe surfer, Style- Ken's speed and stepkicks crossed with Elena

Frenchman, - think Gambit from xmen, like a rolento that's more honest and footsie based, less BS shenanigans.

Sailor: Captain Haddock from tintin, pipe smokin, salty sea dog, style: confident heavy hitter, non martial art looking style, slow speed
    Australian PSN eh?
    I don't really care about nationality as long as the character looks and fight cool. Look at Street Fighter III, most of the characters from the latter installments (Q, Twelve, Urien) don't even have a nationality or have nothing to do with the country they supposedly represent (Oro, Remy), and sometimes when the designers try to represent a different country it ends up horribly wrong (El Fuerte is a terrible Mexican stereotype from most angles).

That said, I'd like an Australian fighter.
    But for Capcom characters who haven't appeared in an SF game, uhhh... Remy's dad? Sure, he left his family to fight, etc, but there's a story to mine from that, I'm sure.
    Abel is probably Remy's dad.
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Magegg wrote: »
    ... the others I don't really see them working in SF either in gameplay or background, you try to make the things too much grounded in real world (including a lot of not really popular countries), I don't think that's the idea with Street Fighter.

I think mainly weapon-users are for games like King of Fighters, so I don't really see that in Street Fighter, that is really hardcore into martial artists.

That's not really a fair criticism considering since each iteration of the game has introduced very un-Street Fighter things, expanding the boundaries of what is SF and what is not SF. Besides that, most characters I have proposed already have precedents in the game (e.g. weapon users, freaks), so they are not very alien.

The choice beind some of the countries was based on regions in the world that are yet to be represented. But as you said, the countries in SF haven't been important since SF2, but it's still a tradition that should be maintained IMO even if it is irrelevant.

@‌stallion150

Ty. :)
  • SAOTOME2USAOTOME2U My favorite SF? Alpha 2 (minus CCs) Joined: Posts: 480
    The only 2 new characters I can think of I'd like to see, are King Cobra (who they changed and made into Rufus), and a character that someone came up with I read about months ago named Sho, to complete the Sho-Ryu-Ken thing.

I like the idea of a "Sho" character who may have been another disciple of Gouken, or even Akuma (before he went all demony), and his story could be he wants to stop and/or kill Akuma for all of his misdeeds.

As for King Cobra, I said before in another thread, and I tweeted Ono this idea as well, about having King Cobra be added (along with Rufus) as a palette swap of sorts, similar to Yun/Yang. His story could be that he originally wanted to enter the SF4 tournament but felt he wasn't strong enough to take on Ken yet, but this "other" fighter named Rufus had "stolen" his moves and entered instead. He could enter SF5 and be out for revenge against Rufus (as an inside joke to King Cobra becoming Rufus in the final game), but still wanting to face Ken to test his talents. King Cobra and Rufus both could have similar attacks, as Ryu/Ken/Akuma, or Yun/Yang.

Anyway, those are my 2 character choices: Sho, and King Cobra.
    A logical, and objective member of the FGC -- we exist.
    Twitter: @ YoSHO2U
    That's not really a fair criticism considering since each iteration of the game has introduced very un-Street Fighter things, expanding the boundaries of what is SF and what is not SF.
    So, basically you're saying you can introduce whatever thing comes out of your mind.
    SAOTOME2U wrote: »
    I like the idea of a "Sho" character who may have been another disciple of Gouken, or even Akuma (before he went all demony), and his story could be he wants to stop and/or kill Akuma for all of his misdeeds.
    If you're on the wordplay, there's already "Sean"... You know, Sho(n)RyuKen...

If you're on the wordplay, there's already "Sean"... You know, Sho(n)RyuKen...

Mmmyeah I know, but Sean is still very much a novice, unless they put him in SFV where Ken has taught him more. I would think Sho (if being a disciple of Gouken or Akuma), wouldn't really be a shoto (anymore than Gouken is), and play similarly like a Gouken/Akuma hybrid. I even like the idea of him being older than Ryu and Ken, to where he could pass on teachings from their master to Ryu. Just a thought.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,838
    If we're going by people who already exist in the Capcom Universe, then my choices would be like...Haggar, Karin, R.Mika, and Q. Also, I'd really like to see some Project Justice/Rival Schools representation, so they could throw in Batsu and Akira (wasn't it the same universe as SF anyway, with Sakura being in Project Justice?). I'd also like to see Sodom and Maki if possible.

Someone told me they can't put in any of the EX series people because somebody else owns the rights, but I have no idea if that's true.
  • Screw_TiersScrew_Tiers Screw_Tires? Screw_Tears? Fuck This Name Joined: Posts: 867
    LivewireX wrote: »
    Someone told me they can't put in any of the EX series people because somebody else owns the rights, but I have no idea if that's true.

The company that made the EX games, Arika, owns the rights to the EX characters.
    "Farts stink like a motherfucker!"

Yeah, it's true. Arika owns those characters, and the most requested is Skullomania. I don't doubt Capcom has wanted to, or at least reached out to Arika. But after all these years, I just don't know. They probably would prefer to just make a new SFEX game, instead of having their characters enter the main SF story.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,014
    It would be nice to have a grappler with chain grapples.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    That's not really a fair criticism considering since each iteration of the game has introduced very un-Street Fighter things, expanding the boundaries of what is SF and what is not SF.
    So, basically you're saying you can introduce whatever thing comes out of your mind.

No. I said:

A) Most of the ideas I proposed have precedent and closely related to things that already exist in the universe.

B) Saying that something is 'Un-Street Fighter' is redundant considering many things since SF2 have been Un-Street Fighter at one point in time.

---

Re: SF Ex Characters

Capcom's Hakan was inspired by SF Ex character Darun Mister. Capcom can also be 'inspired' by other SF Ex characters and add them to the roster if they wish.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,811
    Characters from buried Capcom fighters would be great, Rival Schools, Power Stone, hell I'd consider Darkstalkers buried now too so even that.

I can definitely see Rival Schools. I mean hell that's where Sakura came from. I see Batsu fitting in quite well. Haven't played Power Stone so can't comment on that? As a Darkstalkers fan I can say for certain. Hell No! Are you mad?! A Darkstalkers would look so out of place. The only one I see fitting in would be Demetri at best.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,838

Yeah, it's true. Arika owns those characters, and the most requested is Skullomania. I don't doubt Capcom has wanted to, or at least reached out to Arika. But after all these years, I just don't know. They probably would prefer to just make a new SFEX game, instead of having their characters enter the main SF story.

Ah, okay. I didn't realize that was the case. I always wondered why none of the EX characters showed up, so it's good to know. Though, I've expected some more 3S characters that are left, but I dunno now.
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 6,014
    I think they need to cover new countries and martial art styles that havent been covered. New stereotypes that havent been done before.
    More South American, African, and Middle Eastern characters pls. And from anywhere besides Brazil and Kenya again.

Just more brown characters who aren't stereotypes. Looking at you, Dhalsim, Hakkan, and Elena. :/

But stereotype are SF soul, usually is that or being a parody of somebody real... i don't give to much fucks if are offensive/ridicolous or whatever, i just hope they fit to SF design.
    A "cool character" just made to be cool without fit SF spirit imho is waay worse than any stereotype

Personally i wish more Europe (both characters and stages), but the rumor seem to go in the direction you say

Out of 4 new characters Ken Bogard said that he know just 3 and that are from Brazil, North Africa and India

I seen that you was saying no brazil, and maybe north africa/india are'nt what you was hoping for, but still is pretty close :D

My hope was

Italy (male)
    Sweden/Norway
    Greece (well, Gill/Urien will kinda do that)
    Egypt
    New Zealand (charge badass maori huge dude that rugby-tackle the shit out of peoples :D )
    Australia (with fucking boomerang)

I'm more likely to be disappointed :D
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire

All SFV Colors here!- http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/214626/new-colors-for-story-and-battle-alts/p1
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,811
    How's about an Isreali fighter that uses Krav Maga? Or a female wrestler that actually looks like she can body slam a dude. R.Mika is thick, but she still ain't big enough to be slamming men. Fatten that girl up Capcom so she actually has the size and strength to do that. I'd say if she was 170lbs that'd work.
  • X_CelX_Cel Joined: Posts: 7
    Sagat
    edited December 2014
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    How's about an Isreali fighter that uses Krav Maga?
    Doesn't sound fun.
    mowr wrote: »
    For real though, if Ryu's in the game, Sagat should be. Their rivalry isn't a coincidence.
    Meh. Street Fighter III was better without Sagat.
    Post edited by Magegg on
    edited December 2014
    BB_Hoody wrote: »

I can definitely see Rival Schools. I mean hell that's where Sakura came from. I see Batsu fitting in quite well. Haven't played Power Stone so can't comment on that? As a Darkstalkers fan I can say for certain. Hell No! Are you mad?! A Darkstalkers would look so out of place. The only one I see fitting in would be Demetri at best.

I would love to see some Final Fight characters returning, either some classic characters like:
    - El Gado, he's from Israel so good bringing of a new nationality and fighting style.
    - Damnd, looks like a mix between Blanka and Dee Jay, LOL.

Or the Final Fight 2 and 3 protagonists:
    - Maki, if they decide not bringing the Cody & Guy duo back, she could replace Guy at least.
    - Dean would be quite nice but they would have to flesh out his fighting style and give him more martial arts.
    - Carlos not really, the sword's too problematic.
    - Lucia would be my top choice, but I guess as long as Chun-Li is in Street Fighter she wouldn't have a choice.

From Rival Schools:
    - Kyosuke, great looks and good gameplay.
    - Akira, my top choice, she's just perfect for Street Fighter in every sense
    - Roy, dat Terry Bogard style B|
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Sagat can come in later updates, he is a bit too shotoish and similar to Ryu to make the initial 16.

• ZatalconZatalcon Most hated man on SRK Joined: Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I agree about the old school buried fighters. Maybe Ruby Heart, Akira, Batsu, etc...
    Zatalcon wrote: »
    I agree about the old school buried fighters. Maybe Ruby Heart, Akira, Batsu, etc...
    Ruby Heart doesn't fit at all with Street Fighter, as for Batsu, there's really no need for him when there's already Ryu and Akuma.