SFV Character Request/Anticipation Thread

Comments

• mowrmowr VROOM VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,695
    People are too ready and willing to be offended.

Character tropes does not automatically translate into racism unless the trope itself is racist. There's nothing racist about T Hawk talking about the earth or Elena communicating through dance or whatever her schtick is I don't even know.

It's only a problem when you've got thieving black characters or caucasian Hakan clones that oil up with mayonnaise.
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=RQ68z3v1Ls0

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
  • flighflighflugitflighflighflugit Joined: Posts: 1,470
    They need to put Sean back in but revamp him as a mobile grappler. He already has most of Abel's move set lol

- an overhead kick
    - a roll
    - A f.mk
    - A grapple

Just make his grapple an actual throw, give him some of kens kicks, and maybe he can dash cancel some of his normals in his power up state.

I just want him to be a rushdown monster that's just trying to headbutt you or trying to pound your face in lol. A mobile grappler with a decent neutral game would be fun. Kinda like a sf version of bang shisigami.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    LivewireX wrote: »
    I'm just gonna say the notion that DOA having a Boxer from Canada is stupid because "what does Boxing have to do with Canada?" is a pretty dumb line of reasoning. It's cool because he's from Canada so it's nice to see us represented, and since we're not much different from the US or the UK...if they can have boxing types, why not?

That's just not the way Street Fighter handles characters. They always do something that ties into their national heritage. They don't just have characters that completely ignore where they're from. It might be good for DOA to have a Canadian character that doesn't represent Canada in any way other than his nationality, but it's not good for SF. SF always does something a bit more outlandish.

Boxing definitely makes more sense with a US/UK character since the sport has roots in London and many of the most legendary boxers in the world are from the US and UK. Canada doesn't really have a presence in it so I think they're a bit more unrestricted with what they can do with a Canadian grappler girl.

I think I'll draw some pictures of my character, her design and moves and whatnot. Should be fun.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• OilforthewinOilforthewin BETTER RED THAN DEAD. Joined: Posts: 1,847
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »

Boxing definitely makes more sense with a US/UK character since the sport has roots in London and many of the most legendary boxers in the world are from the US and UK. Canada doesn't really have a presence in it so I think they're a bit more unrestricted with what they can do with a Canadian grappler girl.
    The origin of boxing is much much much much much older than you think.
    "LAST WEEK ON MONDAY NIGHT NITRO, EVERYBODY SEE THE MOST HORRIFIC INJURY IN THE HISTORY OF DIS SPORTS, AND I GOT LISTEN TO YOU TWO IDIOTS SAYIN IT'S A FREAK ACCIDENT! WELL WHAT HAPPEN IS SID VICIOUS RAN INTO THE FREAK. SEE SID VICIOUS CAME OFF THE TOP ROPE, HE HIT DA MASSIVE CHEST OF THE GENETIC FREAK, AND HE FELT DA POWER, AND DAT POWER, SENT HIS LEG DOWN TO THE MAT, SHATTERED HIS LEG, AND HIS DREAMS, OF EVER BECOMIN' WORLD CHAMPYEN AGAIN! SO SID VICIOUS, I'M SEND YOU A PRESENT! I'M SEND YOU THESE TWO PRO- JABRONIES TO LAY NEXT TO YOU IN Y'ALL CAN TALK ABOUT THE SAME THING! YA CAN TALK ABOUT ME, DA MAN WHO SENT CHOO THERE! BUT SID VICIOUS, I DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR YOU, BECAUSE I GAVE YOU FAIR WARNING, TO WALK AWAY! JUST LIKE I WARNED STING, JUST LIKE I WARNED BOOKER T, AND NOW, KEVIN NASH, I'M WARNIN' YOU, BEFORE YOU SSS- DECIDE TO SHOW UP AT SUPERBRAWL, YOU THINK ABOUT DIS! I'M BIG POPPA PUMP, I DON'T FRAKE IT, I BREAK IT!"
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,977
    edited December 2014
    That's just not the way Street Fighter handles characters. They always do something that ties into their national heritage.

What about Abel, Necro or Remy? National heritage?

It's obvious the Street Fighter design style has changed over the years, I don't think people would accept many of the Street Fighter II designs right now, and the grotesque design style from Street Fighter IV didn't really work for most people. They felt more like mockery of the represented countries instead of a worthy representation.
    I don't think people wants more Abel, Fuertes, T. Hawks or Dhalsims, designs like Charlie, Elena, Rose, Vega, that's where we should look at, something less stereotyped, less cartoonish and more human.

I think they could learn a little about games like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, if you check some designs like Tizoc or B. Jenet, they're good representation of different countries but they don't feel like a mockery caricature, unlike Rufus, Fuerte or Hakan, in fact they take the most noble and valuable aspect of the country and use it to exalt the character.

The Street Fighter III design style didn't work for some people, but they felt much more like original characters than nationality stereotypes.
    Post edited by Magegg on
    edited December 2014

The origin of boxing is much much much much much older than you think.

I'm talking about its modern permutation as an organized sport with rules.

edited December 2014
    I don't even see what's stereotypical about my character idea, but then again Magegg seems to speak exclusively in strawman arguments, so whatever.

• BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,916
    I think most new age gamers now'n'days are just sooooo fucking sensitive and easily offended. Like someone pointed out, SF most of the time creates characters and have them represent their nationality in either their gameplay and or design. IMO that's what made the original world warriors so popular. But now people wanna be so PC about every damn thing that anything causes a shit storm.

What's wrong with a Canadian Lumber Jack in Street Fighter? Is Lumber jacking no longer big in Canada? Do Canadians no longer take pride in that? If that's not the case what's the issue? The lumber jack stereotype will indicate he/she is canadian, and then spice the character up with unique ideas to break from the stereotype. The character reps Canada but isn't your complete typical Canadian. I mean c'mon it'd be like black people getting upset over a black hip hop themed character even though the vast majority of us enjoy hip hop.
  • learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 818
    I'm just sick of goofy comical stereotypes. I can't take a Canadian Lumberjack seriously. It's so freaking corny. It's like putting another Hakan in the game, except instead of using oil to grease up he uses maple syrup.
    Mend and Defend

SF5: Fighter Tag: Learis1
    main char: Ryu
    avg lp: 2000

SF4: main char: Fei Long
    edited December 2014
    learis1 wrote: »
    I'm just sick of goofy comical stereotypes. I can't take a Canadian Lumberjack seriously. It's so freaking corny. It's like putting another Hakan in the game, except instead of using oil to grease up he uses maple syrup.

Why would they have a Canadian pouring syrup on themselves? That makes no sense in any context even if they were to go with the "typical lumberjack" idea. Sounds to me like you're the only person stereotyping here.

• BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,916
    @Magegg And yet SF3 is the worst selling of the SF titles and is a flat out commercial failure and most of the SF3 cast are quite unpopular, like Remy and Necro. Maybe if they reped their countries in some way other than just saying "I'm from such and such" they be more likeable. Notice how the more popular characters like Alex, Elena, Yun, Yang, have a sterotype I.E Alex being a brash, trash talking New Yorker, Elena coming from a tribal village in tribal atire. But they have more going for them than just the stereotype. I mean you acknowledge that last part yourself. So why can't it work for a Canadian Lumber Jack?
  • James_L_McKigneyJames_L_McKigney Joined: Posts: 15
    Well I hope the World Warriors and the bosses from said game are in it along with the Super World Warriors (Fei Long, Thunder Hawk, Cammy and Dee Jay in case you're curious) I hope they are there for the first version of Street Fighter V. Of course, it's new characters we're talking about. (how off can I be?) Street Fighter should have their version of Taokaka.
  • learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 818
    edited December 2014

Why would they have a Canadian pouring syrup on themselves? That makes no sense in any context even if they were to go with the "typical lumberjack" idea. Sounds to me like you're the only person stereotyping here.

I'll stereotype till the cows come home. I just don't want a stinking smelly stupid lumberjack in the game who stands on his opponents body and log rolls them around the stage. It's the dumbest freaking thing I've ever heard. It makes Hakan's retarded ultra where he shoots the opponent out his butthole look legit in comparison. I'd sooner see a missing toothed, ice-skate wearing Canadian hockey player be in the game over a lumberjack smothered in maple syrup. I'd sooner have a freakin Canadian moose be a competitor than a lumberjack. In the name of all that is holy, don't put a lumberjack in this game.
    Mend and Defend

SF5: Fighter Tag: Learis1
    main char: Ryu
    avg lp: 2000

SF4: main char: Fei Long

I'll stereotype till the cows come home. I just don't want a stinking smelly stupid lumberjack in the game who stands on his opponents body and log rolls them around the stage.

My character is a girl. Also, I DO want that in the game, not just because it's an awesome move but because it'll be doubly enjoyable to see your butthurt over it.

edited December 2014
    Street Fighter should have their version of Taokaka.
    I normally try not to be judgmental towards tye opinions of others but....get out. How would anything resembling her or her personality fit in Street Fighter? Street Fighter is anime but more like Cowboy Beebop. Blazblue is like full blown anime like excell saga. And FYI Hsein-Ko who is clearly the inspiration for her fits the bill should a Darkstalker ever crossover into Street Fighter.

Post edited by BB_Hoody on
  • FOBioFOBio Whaddup!? Joined: Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    For old characters to come back, I'd really like Oro.

New characters, I don't care about origins, but fighter types. Expanding on something like Third Strike Akuma (he couldn't use EX moves), what if a character actually didn't have an ultra and/or super bar, but they are compensated by great normals/combos? Then their damage is fairly consistent, but can't do insanely high damage like a character with full meter and ultra. This is quite possibly a very poor concept, but at least something different.
    Why bring logic to a discussion?
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy ARIA is the only answer Joined: Posts: 11,768
    I hope they make the canadian evil. As far as one may come.....I'd rather they do something differentish. Like...hmmmmmm gona take some thought on this one.
    Canadians are not evil. Grappler girl is a nice lady.

Even better. Go opposite. He's an evil canadian. make it happen capcom.
    She could also have a Hockey-inspired shoulder check move with armor that blasts through fireballs. EX version causes wallbounce and nullifies fireballs without any damage.

I don't know what capcom plans to do. I think I'll just leave it like it is.
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 6,279
    Magegg wrote: »
    That's just not the way Street Fighter handles characters. They always do something that ties into their national heritage.

1- What about Abel, Necro or Remy? National heritage?

2- The Street Fighter III design style didn't work for some people, but they felt much more like original characters than nationality stereotypes.

1- Abel actually kinda follow one of the two classic pillars of SF chara design, the real fighter tribute
    Is a Fedor Emelianenko tribute, best HW mma (and Sambo) ever had, a legend if you follow the sport
    He's in russian Sambo oufit too
    They even imitate his famous contrast between super brutal fight style and strange kindness outside the ring

And in fact, only "wrong" thing is the french nationality wich make little sense, specially considering the uniform... probably they just took the chance for wink at a big not represented audience

Necro and Remy are from Ryu&Ken:Magic Adventure in Wonderland, published in the west as Street Fighter 3
    And Remy is kinda loosely linked to France, since he's pretty much the quintessence stereotype of long haired effeminate kinda fashion pretty guy, that japan tend to represent in anime. And his kicks have some savate touch.
    Aside that weird design for a SF game, seem more KoF stuff

And again, both Necro and Remy failed big at being iconic, as for some others that outside SF3 dedicated fanbase nobody give fuck about

Ironically some of the most iconic famous SF3 characters are the ones with the strongest stereotype/national touch

Alex- Blond american wrestler with influence from Hulk Hogan and Axel Rose

Dudley- english gentleman boxer that drink tea. And his ethnicity give it a original look, but at the same time hint at the old India colony wich fit with the whole nostalgic design

Urien- build (and naked) as a greek olympic athlete, have a style that remind pankratium and moves names that give a classic age feeling. His brother is basically a greek god

Makoto/Ibuki- japanese girl with pretty traditional karate/ninjutsu style and uniform

Yun/Yang- chinese dude with with pretty traditional kung fu style and uniform. Hat/flashy haircut and skate/roller give him "young guy" character (kinda like Guy and his Nike shoes, was to give him modern/young/americanized touch)

Basically the classic SF formula, aside overall younger age

Also Oro and Hugo follow the other big pillar of SF style, the tribute: Oro being Helio Gracie (father of brazilian jujitsu) and Hugo Andrè the Giant, just german instead french/russian

2- Read the bold part, the rest of the line is an opinion

Some like old school SF with stereotypes and all, some like SF3
    It's all about that

I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire

All SFV Colors here!- http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/214626/new-colors-for-story-and-battle-alts/p1
    edited December 2014
    Leaked artwork for new character!

204430546b92e02bf4954ae9e2f88e7933193265.png

Enjoy it yourself.

You all defending that idea of lumberjack remember me of the true sequel of Street Fighter... er... Fighting Street:

Also, Japanese people don't even know about Canada, not even the lumberjack thing, they have no idea about the country, if they add a Canadian character it could be literally anything.
    Leaked artwork for new character!

204430546b92e02bf4954ae9e2f88e7933193265.png

Enjoy it yourself.

You all defending that idea of lumberjack remember me of the true sequel of Street Fighter... er... Fighting Street:

Also, Japanese people don't even know about Canada, not even the lumberjack thing, they have no idea about the country, if they add a Canadian character it could be literally anything.

OK first of all that's a Canadian mounty. Second this isn't the early 90's where the internet was limited. They can easily research things about Canada on-line or talk with Canadian tourist for ideas.
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    OK first of all that's a Canadian mounty.
    Yeah. I put him because he's the other Canadian stereotypical job. How would you feel if Capcom puts a mounty as the Canadian representative?
    Second this isn't the early 90's where the internet was limited. They can easily research things about Canada on-line or talk with Canadian tourist for ideas.
    There's something called "inspiration". You can't force that.
    Yeah. I put him because he's the other Canadian stereotypical job. How would you feel if Capcom puts a mounty as the Canadian representative?
    Second this isn't the early 90's where the internet was limited. They can easily research things about Canada on-line or talk with Canadian tourist for ideas.
    There's something called "inspiration". You can't force that.

Oh so Elena the tribal warrior is cool, but a Canadian mounty would be offensive? Like I said as long as they add more to tye character so that he/she isn't just a stereotype I see no issue.
    edited December 2014

Nobody would care. Your cognitive dissonance is quite astounding.

Oh so Elena the tribal warrior is cool, but a Canadian mounty would be offensive?
    Yah. Because Canadian mounties are no martial artists, neither lumberjacks are.
    Oh so Elena the tribal warrior is cool, but a Canadian mounty would be offensive?

Neither are schoolgirls, or chefs, or tribal princesses, or music artists. Their occupations don't fucking matter.

• MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,633
    Nobody cares about Canada being represented in street fighter. Canada is just a spin-off country of what USA aimed to be. Let's just have a state park ranger who uses animals in their attacks strider hiryu style and sprays water to nullify fireballs.

The fact that Canadian stereotypes resort to mounties, lumberjacks, and hockey players makes it a pathetic candidate when so many older countries with richer history have yet to be represented either in street fighter. Shoutouts to Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Ukraine, Portugal, Ireland, any other sub-saharan country and the list goes on.
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Eskimo who rides on a polar bear and can summon penguin armies please.

blufang wrote: »
    Eskimo who rides on a polar bear and can summon penguin armies please.

Sounds like Sasquatch.

With that logic the majority of the Street Fighter cast shouldn't exist. Like PyschoJosh pointed out a lot of characters have profesions that have squat to do with martial arts. So determining the worth of a fighter by their profession is just dumb. No reason for not to have a lumber jack.
    Metroxylon wrote: »
    Nobody cares about Canada being represented in street fighter. Canada is just a spin-off country of what USA aimed to be. Let's just have a state park ranger who uses animals in their attacks strider hiryu style and sprays water to nullify fireballs.

The fact that Canadian stereotypes resort to mounties, lumberjacks, and hockey players makes it a pathetic candidate when so many older countries with richer history have yet to be represented either in street fighter. Shoutouts to Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Ukraine, Portugal, Ireland, any other sub-saharan country and the list goes on.

OK first off please don't instigate a USA vs Canada flame war. But yeah I agree there are a lot of other countries that can be used for interesting character designs over Canada.
    Yeah..it's true.....our Canadian history sucks major goats. We really don't have anything worthwhile to mention. :(
    edited December 2014
    Neither are schoolgirls, or chefs, or tribal princesses, or music artists. Their occupations don't fucking matter.
    That's why some people don't take seriously Sakura, El Fuerte chef aspect is just stupid and kind of makes the character suck, Dee Jay music is simply a hobby, he looks like a pro kickboxer, while Elena is a princess only because she's daughter of a chief, she lives in the wild and she's a sort of female Tarzan, very able to fight, she's no spoiled princess (that's why I never could take Pullum Purna seriously).
    Metroxylon wrote: »

Pretty much this. You know what else is famous about Canada and Japanese people probably know?
    Canada-com-Justin-Bieber.jpg
    Yeah..it's true.....our Canadian history sucks major goats. We really don't have anything worthwhile to mention. :(

Don't say that. Ya did stuff. Like ya have the war with the USA back in the 1800's. Um Olympic gold medals in hockey. I guess ya lack of exciting history comes from still being a fairly new nation compared to the rest of the world, just like us. And Canada doesn't really do much on a global scale.