SFV Character Request/Anticipation Thread

Comments

• javertjavert 'sup Joined: Posts: 1,293
    It's understandable if people gets the waifu saturation feeling but hell don't bring the old to the existing cast. Only grumpy movie critics would want to see a Chun with the tits hanging side by side around her navel and Cammy with some flabby varicose legs on full display and, before sexiiss accusations, the same apply to a Ryu getting pain in the lower back with each Hadoken and needing to take his pills or a fat Guile with a full belly thanks to daily pizzas and beers.

Call it comic time or whatever, but age and the personality that comes from it (innocent-malicious, naive-cynical, hyperactive-reserved among many other spectrums) is a defining trait of the characters that make people love them for what they are and ruining it cause realism is a recipe for disaster. The only viable alternative is to start retiring the cast and bring younger replacements and all that needs to be said about that is how SF3 and Soul Calibur V bombed.

A good additional character in her 40s or 50s playing an Evil Queen or a Sage role or another one being Thick & Tough could compliment the cast well without tarnishing the existing females and leaving everyone a bad taste in their mouths. Wouldn't lead the polls but would be as essential.
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 9,233
    Raccon wrote: »
    ^^ I know we aren't disputing. But according to my brain is completely weird to think that Rose is younger than Viper only because she wasn't blessed with maternity yet. I guess the only female in the franchise, who isn't playable yet, that may surpass Rose's age is Yoko, Mika's trainer.

IMO the cohesive female chronological table would be the following one:

Rose ~ 40
    Viper ~ 38
    Chun ~ 36
    Kolin ~ 35
    Cammy and the dolls left + Juri ~ 33
    Poison ~ 30
    Laura ~ 28
    Mika + Nadeshiko ~ 26
    Karin + Maki + Makoto ~ 25
    Ibuki + Elena + Effie + Sakura* ~ 22

*let's see how they will work on her look when she get revealed.

I know MK is placed in another tier among the community, but I did like how they've turned an ugly oversexualised Sonya (did you remember her monster face in MK x DC?!) into a little bit aged mother, being still sexy and beautiful. That's the route! Making Rose and other females slight older will not ruin the franchise. In the contrary, I bet it'll give SF another perspective, since they ended up to keep deeper the story this time. Plus, Capcom has already aged Dhalsim, so, why not?

Huge problems with your list. Sakura, Karin, and Cammy are all approximately the same age. Chun Li is 6 years older than Cammy. Laura is 6 years older than Sean and Sean is a teenager in SF3. Ibuki and Elena area also teenagers.
  • RacconRaccon Tears of joy Joined: Posts: 966
    edited October 2016
    @javert

^^ Overreact.

For God's sake I don't ask for making some chars into gagas. Please! I'm only trying to proof my point, which insists in somehow stop putting everybody in the same 18~25 pack. Don't push it acting like both Chun and Ibuki share the same age, mentality and behavior.

You need to revise your concept of old, 'cause turning someone 40s isn't a problem at all. Plus, I didn't dig yet Karin kicking everybody asses in story mode meanwhile a mature woman like Chun being ripped. One of the most disgusting moments in MKX story was a mere girl like Cassie beating eberybody up, all of us agree about that, so why such conservatism?
    People complain about Sakura being eternally a schoolgirl and now repulse any new idea embracing chars age. How deal with?
    Bring Rose back, Capcom!
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,830
    Cipher wrote: »
    You need at least one older woman to appear to a specific audience and if Rose is in her mid 30's she perfectly covers this are.

Rose has always been one of my favourite SF chars by design.
    + she's fun and good looking.

I make as hobby characters btw. and my first OC I did ~ 7 years ago took a lot inspiration from Rose and Cammy.
    Sadly she wouldn't fit into SF since she's a vampire.

Chun also fills the mature woman appeal. Since she's the female lead the oldest I can see Capcom making her is late 20s at most.

There's also Viper.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    ^^ I know we aren't disputing. But according to my brain is completely weird to think that Rose is younger than Viper only because she wasn't blessed with maternity yet. I guess the only female in the franchise, who isn't playable yet, that may surpass Rose's age is Yoko, Mika's trainer.

IMO the cohesive female chronological table would be the following one:

Rose ~ 40
    Viper ~ 38
    Chun ~ 36
    Kolin ~ 35
    Cammy and the dolls left + Juri ~ 33
    Poison ~ 30
    Laura ~ 28
    Mika + Nadeshiko ~ 26
    Karin + Maki + Makoto ~ 25
    Ibuki + Elena + Effie + Sakura* ~ 22

*let's see how they will work on her look when she get revealed.

I know MK is placed in another tier among the community, but I did like how they've turned an ugly oversexualised Sonya (did you remember her monster face in MK x DC?!) into a little bit aged mother, being still sexy and beautiful. That's the route! Making Rose and other females slight older will not ruin the franchise. In the contrary, I bet it'll give SF another perspective, since they ended up to keep deeper the story this time. Plus, Capcom has already aged Dhalsim, so, why not?

Huge problems with your list. Sakura, Karin, and Cammy are all approximately the same age. Chun Li is 6 years older than Cammy. Laura is 6 years older than Sean and Sean is a teenager in SF3. Ibuki and Elena area also teenagers.

It's a 5 min made list. Don't take it that seriously. The criterion was aesthetic + occupation, not an official database or anything like that.

Bring Rose back, Capcom!
    ^^ Overreact.

For God's sake I don't ask for making some chars into gagas. Please! I'm only trying to proof my point, which insists in somehow stop putting everybody in the same 18~25 pack. Don't push it acting like both Chun and Ibuki share the same age, mentality and behavior.

You need to revise your concept of old, 'cause turning someone 40s isn't a problem at all. Plus, I didn't dig yet Karin kicking everybody asses in story mode meanwhile a mature woman like Chun being ripped. One of the most disgusting moments in MKX story was a mere girl like Cassie beating eberybody up, all of us agree about that, so why such conservatism?
    People complain about Sakura being eternally a schoolgirl and now repulse any new idea embracing chars age. How deal with?

What are you on about? Chun Li and Rose are in their 30s officially in 3rd Strike. Sakura, Cammy, Karin are in their mid 20s. Ibuki, Elena, and Makoto are in there teens. Where are you getting this 18-25 from? They are 60s, 70s, and 80s babies. Heck that describes most of the cast with the exception of Dhalsim (1952), Sagat (1955), T.Hawk (1959), and although not dates are given. Akuma, Gouken, Gen, and Oro.

Ages at the time of Third Strike

Rose 32 (Born 1967)
    Chun Li 31 (Born 1968)
    Sakura 26 (Born 1973)
    Karin 26 (Born 1973)
    Cammy 25* (Born 1974)

Approximations

Laura 25 (Sean is 19)
    Ibuki 19**
    Elena 19**
    Makoto 16***

*The Dolls are approximately the same age as Cammy
    **Sean, Ibuki, Elena, Yun, Yang were all teenagers in A New Generation born in approximately 1980
    ***Makoto is the youngest, playable, character in Street Fighter

I do appreciate the info you brought to this forum, but I don't consider it as an untouchable standard. At least seeing how poorly Capcom has attached its importance to characters design. Sakura being 26 is worst than I thought. No fuc* way see looks same age as Cammy, let alone older.

Considering Rose the oldest female thus far, the gap between her and the majority of the roster is still tiny.

Let's to try to be clear once and for all: as huge SF fan I miss more adequacy concerning some chars age. In SFIV, Rose's voice was perfectly fitted aiming at a mature woman. Same for Cammy. Same for Chun. Sakura's voices, however, imo incited very well the teenage maturity of the character. So, if Sakura is supposed to be a teenage, treat her like that, simple. Same for Elena and Ibuki. On the contrary, if they pretend to make Rose the more mature female around, direct her to that. I bet almost all of Rose's fans will approve few slight touches on her look, for example some white hair locks.

If Rose covers somehow the sorceress profile that miss in the franchise, so why she can't cover the old/mature/madam lady trend either?

Bring Rose back, Capcom!
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 10,037 mod
    The fuck are you talking about
  • EasilynEasilyn Inactive. Joined: Posts: 1,405
    sf4 had a character for every player.
    Gen is complex, lol wtf was that and viper compared to the rest of them
    Doa 5: Random Select.
    Ultra: Makoto/dudley/hugo/Oni/Cody/Guy/Honda/Poison.
    Mvc2: Random Select.
    Sf5: All the odd ones, no main
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 6,577
    Calculate Rose's age

Take prime Bellucci age - 10 years because anime

Also the thing of Viper being a mother while Rose don't, give two informations

-V.Rosso use the condom
    -V.Rosso did'nt used the condom during american holidays

Little to do with age

End of story

Rose is probably 29 years and 11 months old
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire

All SFV Colors here!- http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/214626/new-colors-for-story-and-battle-alts/p1
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 10,476 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 2016
    Rose is the oldest female Street Fighter, at least in her mid 30s by SF3S. But I'd wager she is older because:

1- Her relationship with Bison (she once called him Master implying she was his student, this would have to have been 30 yrs at least before SF2, before Shadaloo was forged by Bison).
    2- The character she is based on Lisa Lisa.

Rose being in her 40s or 50s during SF3 is not far-fetched at all.
    I FEEL IT WITHIN MY BODY!
  • gigglzgigglz Joined: Posts: 493
    we desperately need new infos from capcom....
  • HartleySanHartleySan Joined: Posts: 661
    gigglz wrote: »
    we desperately need new infos from capcom....

We most certainly do! Probably nothing big until Capcom Cup / December though.
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,518
    My top hated:

1 - Akuma/Oni
    2 - Hugo
    3 - E. Ryu
    4 - Yun
    5 - E Honda
    6 - Blanka
    7 - Twelve
    8 - Necro
    9 - Rufus
    10 - Gill
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
  • SkortSkort Joined: Posts: 1,063
    edited October 2016
    I would like the following characters to be added :

- Gouken
    - Cody
    - Gen
    - Dudley
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 9,233
    DarthEnder wrote: »
    You aren't going to get them because they don't even want you to have the info you do now.

There's a reason SF characters only have Birth days and months now, not years.

The games don't take place during specific years anymore either.

Agreed. If I wasn't around when the games launched, I wouldn't even know Rose, Sakura, and Karin's birth years. I swear Capcom used the predessesor to Capcom.sys to remove that information from the internet.
  • ShockdingoShockdingo Freelance voice actor & Reploid.PHD in Q speculation. Joined: Posts: 1,791
    PoisonKiss wrote: »
    Rose is based on the ageless Lisa Lisa from JoJo, who was in her 50s but looked about 25 due to magic. I'm sure her age will remain 'nebulously mature but hot' forever.
    Daemos wrote: »
    Rose is the oldest female Street Fighter, at least in her mid 30s by SF3S. But I'd wager she is older because:

1- Her relationship with Bison (she once called him Master implying she was his student, this would have to have been 30 yrs at least before SF2, before Shadaloo was forged by Bison).
    2- The character she is based on Lisa Lisa.

Rose being in her 40s or 50s during SF3 is not far-fetched at all.
    I agree with you guys.

Rose is and has been cougar-tier since Alpha 1. Look in Bakfromon's excellent info guide:

"The beautiful but mysterious female fortune teller from Genoa. Her age is unknown, but she is someone Chun-Li would consider middle aged (obasan). "
    DarthEnder wrote: »
    You aren't going to get them because they don't even want you to have the info you do now.

There's a reason SF characters only have Birth days and months now, not years.

The games don't take place during specific years anymore either.

Correct, SF gave up specific timelines in favour of the flexible sliding timescale that DC and Marvel comics and other media use. Games take place X years before or after one another (barring retcons), but Sf is no longer set firmly in the 90s.

On the topic of older women, I've wanted a older grand master character forever (tournament host for SF6? Someone who brings things back to just fighting while other contestants set up crime and insane plots).

I don't want her to be comical like the Old Twins in Power Instinct, but more like a violent and kickass Madame Gau from Daredevil. Collected, in control, powerful, full of influence and people look at her with fear and reverence. You can make her older, but don't have to comically make her look like a witch or a hag-like caricature.

I know in fighting games they hate having women age naturally (look at Anna and Nina Williams and the retiring of Michelle Chang) but Ming Na Wen and Michelle Yeoh are in their 50's and still look amazing. Having a character 10 years older than that doesn't require them to look like an ogre. I think it could be an interesting angle.

"Bison drinks DELICIOUS expired milk on tuesdays while driving trucks into wandering fighters." - m121akuma

Warrior's Fate: The identity of Street Fighter's Q. Now in video!

Concept video for Captain Commando II intro / Attract Mode.

My StreetFighter voice acting reel
    There are so many awe-inspiring female badasses in their 40s, 50s, and 60s right now. Capcom shouldn't shy away from representing such females.

This is why Rose needs to come back! There is simply nothing quite like her in the series.

• JocelotJocelot Don't give up! Joined: Posts: 5,368
    Jeah Rose is a treasure. I'd love to see her back too.

A really old (like 50/60+) female combatant would be killer too. Like Ana Amari from Overwatch. Something about kickass old ladies does something to me.
    Party Robot!!
    Now my head can spin. I'll be around for a million years, so let the party begin.
    jak d ripr wrote: »
    That shit had me in stitches. Nigga went for all these flashy set-ups and doom was like hold these boots.
  • FrágmentFrágment Joined: Posts: 536
    Let me know guys who are the top ten chars in the entire franchise that you hate the most =)

My picks:

1.- Decapre (too derivative)
    2.- Oni (didn't we already have enough "dark hadou" variations)
    3.- F.A.N.G (too ridiculous and annoying)
    4.- Hakan (too ridiculous)
    5.- Dan (a joke that run for too long)
    6.- Laura (generic, bland, uninteresting and fanservice-y)
    7.- El Fuerte (bland, ridiculous, almost offensive stereotype)
    8.- Juri (nauseous design and personality)
    9.- Q (overrated; I like his gameplay, though)
    10.- C. Viper (pretty forgetable)
    Frágment wrote: »
    Let me know guys who are the top ten chars in the entire franchise that you hate the most =)

My picks:

1.- Decapre (too derivative)
    2.- Oni (didn't we already have enough "dark hadou" variations)
    3.- F.A.N.G (too ridiculous and annoying)
    4.- Hakan (too ridiculous)
    5.- Dan (a joke that run for too long)
    6.- Laura (generic, bland, uninteresting and fanservice-y)
    7.- El Fuerte (bland, ridiculous, almost offensive stereotype)
    8.- Juri (nauseous design and personality)
    9.- Q (overrated; I like his gameplay, though)
    10.- C. Viper (pretty forgetable)

Are you okay?

Decapre's gameplay is NOTHING derivative.

FANG is ridiculously awesome.

Juri's personalty is DELICIOUS.

Q for your questionable taste here.

And everyone and their mama knows mama. How can she be forgettable?

I'll give you the rest though.
    edited October 2016
    Decapre's gameplay is NOTHING derivative.
    Did I say gameplay?
    FANG is ridiculously awesome.

Juri's personalty is DELICIOUS.

Q for your questionable taste here.
    I like him. But I still find him overrated.

But Decapre looks derivative because -get this- she is A CLONE. Literally.
  • YokoYoko Joined: Posts: 20
    I've being thinking on how Rose would work in the "V" engine.

One of the KOF most interesting characters ever is Chizuru. Rose and her share a lot of attributes: older women, keep elegance while fighting, magical powers, capacity of creating afterimages of themselves, slides, whatever...
    What if Rose's v-skill, this time a reloaded version of her Alpha Soul Illusion, worked as Chizuru's Ritz ~Tenzui moves?!
    Depending on which buttom (up, down, neutral) you press, Rose will be able to apply different animations and pressure on the opponent. Something similar to these gifs:

chiz-fake.gif
    chiz-fake3.gif
    chiz-fake2.gif

Having said that, Rose's v-trigger would tend to be built in the same route, applying this time a stronger/powerful pressure. More or less this:

chiz-super.gif

Her CA, instead of being another generic cinematic special (probably an updated version of Illusion Spark), it'd be Soul Satellite, which gives her more flexibility game play wise, both defensive and offensive, other than more effective space control and mixups.

Concerning about v-reversal, I'm fine with any kind of animation that includes throwing tarot cards out.

image.gif

So, what are your thoughts about all this?

Wow I am not even Rose fan, but damn bro your suggestion is brilliant.

This thread always amazes me with cool ideas.

• shadokenshadoken Joined: Posts: 564
    Rose is an awesome character , but she kinda needs the Nash treatment. Some more unique specials and she is goddamn sorceress Capcom you can come up with a lot of things. Her moveset in SF4 was just too bland.
    edited October 2016
    Things I'd like Rose to be able to do in SF5:

Kenshi style soul illusions from MKX (possessed variation). In fact, I'd like see this concept become central to her style as it has never been done before in SF and it fits the bill thematically speaking. If you don't know what I am talking about check this out:

I'd like her to be able to shoot her projectiles or hold on to them (by not letting go of the P input) as charges of soul satellite that swirl around her. Up to 2 at time. These soul satellites would work similarly to her ultra in SF4.

latest?cb=20100709180811

latest?cb=20100328050055

V-skill is obviously soul reflect but it doubles as a close range command normal. You can choose which angle to deflect even.

sf-rose.gif

Her VT is her Soul Illusion super.

Her CA is a command grab

Shamwow

Or a CA variation of her Alpha ground throw

00:40.

Gawd, she's perfect.
  • HartleySanHartleySan Joined: Posts: 661
    Daemos, you definitely have a thing for Rose, but when it comes to her fighting style and place in the SF universe, your arguments are well founded.
    I wouldn't worry too much either, as I think she's a serious contender for S2 (or S3 at worst).
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce Capcom cheated on me Joined: Posts: 3,483
    Personally I hope for Makoto in S2, don't care about the rest. The only thing I'm really curious to know is if we gonna get an entire character pack like in SSF4 or a character per month again. Hope the first because of tournaments, we are in October now and some DLC characters starts showing tournament viability just recently and those were the first two (Guile and Alex).
  • ES_CurseES_Curse Get ready for emanci-PAIN SON Joined: Posts: 8,359
    I like Rose both as a character and a move list, but she's going to get the Juri treatment for sure:
    -Rose's normals are WAY too good to belong in SFV, they're going to be tweaked to be more situational ala Juri
    -Projectile being a strong zoning tool goes against SFV design, probably going to be on a charge (Juri/Ibuki) or have worse frames than before (Ryu/Guile)
    -Actually has more than one viable VT option, with both A3 Soul Illusion and SF4 Soul Satellite. I can see them going with a charge system where Rose summons/holds projectiles via Soul Satellite, which leaves Soul Illusion as the obvious VT.
    -New CA animation? tbh the Shamwow was one of the goofier things about SF4. At best, Aura Soul Throw could return as a super with some damage before the cinematic (chip kills) that launches into a special Soul Throw on hit.
    -CC into Soul Throw sounds godlike
    -Maybe have Reflect as her V-Skill? It's a move that honestly never needed an EX version, and design-wise it has all the similarities to Bison's you expect.
    formerly just5moreminutes. I guess the clock ran out.
    Who likes a fucking clone?
  • kylebrkylebr Casually competitive Joined: Posts: 1,026
    edited October 2016
    Rose needs some redesign to fit in SFV. Not Nash treatment, but Juri/Ibuki treatment. Nash kinda took her fireball and hit and run style. Chun VT is very similar to Soul Illusion too.

I like the idea of a puppet soul illusion. It's a very anime thing, but SFV is taking a lot of anime references in design anyway.
    CFN: kylebr92, Fightcade: kylebr, Steam: kylebr92.
    SFV: Guile, Karin.
    GG Rev 2: Ky, Johnny.
    SSB4: Mario, Marth, Cloud.
  • melflomilmelflomil Above Average Fighter Joined: Posts: 2,813
    willseless wrote: »
    I think season 2 will be:
    Oro
    Sakura
    Viper
    Gill
    Akuma
    Sagat

Now, if there is more than 6 characters, I believe Q's chances are really high. He even has a story connection with Viper. There is that Q mod already, and Capcom outsourced a lot of characters.
    Close but Gill and Akuma won't be there next season.
    SF5 = Laura
    UMvC3= X-23, Chris Redfield & Dante
    PSN= melflomil
  • willselesswillseless Joined: Posts: 2,792
    If they want the game to be alive till season 3, they should invest heavily on fan favorites/most known by casuals. That's just Akuma.
  • adoncapcomadoncapcom Joined: Posts: 2
    Please Capcom give us a Muay Thai Character. It is blasphemous to see that a street fighter game like SFV still has no Thai Boxer in the roster. BRING ADON AND SAGAT back NOW. I got into SF4 because of Adon. I loved the stance, the moves, the personality. Sagat is a legend and you have still not brought him. Even Akuma is getting the shaft. Bring Evil Ryu back. Stop spamming us with butt naked stripper FEMALE characters!!! If I wanted that I would watch porn.
  • adoncapcomadoncapcom Joined: Posts: 2
    This is why I would never buy SFV. Shenanigans like this are what's killing the game. I got into ULTRA and loving it. So many characters, much better ultra animations, two ultras and a super with variations, Focus attack. A much better dynamic of skills needed to win. The design and gameplay is what sets it apart.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 11,002
    Gimme my beautiful Italian MILF back, Capcom pls
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,265
    I want Q! I don't care if I'll be the only one using him!
    I'm making a fighting game!
    SRK thread - Discord server.
    Frágment wrote: »
    Who likes a fucking clone?

Considering how many people voted for Ken and Akuma, i'd say a fucking lot of people.

Decapre's gameplay is her saving grace, if she makes it in she will likely get completely unique animations. But I doubt sh will.