SFV Character Request/Anticipation Thread

Comments

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,977
    edited December 2014
    @Magegg‌

What relevance does fitting in SFII have to do with potiential cast members for SFV?
    That after Street Fighter II, characters have gotten worse and worse. Fortunately we only have one Sakura, but we shouldn't have another of those "untrained natural talents" sharing the roster with TRUE martial arts legends.

That's pretty much the main reason Rival School and Street Fighter universes aren't compatible. Still can see Akira Kazama fitting someway, though.

Street Fighter III included more "young" characters, but:
    - Sean was trained by Ken himself
    - Makoto's hot headed attitude at least ensured a great spirit of competition
    - Yun and Yang were definitely disciplined martial artists living in a very competitive town
    - Remy has a powerful motivation
    - Elena lived in an isolated tribe and was for sure trained by some wise elders or something
    - Ibuki lived in her own ninja town

Sakura is pretty much the Mary Sue here.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,859
    rzalph wrote: »
    The SF3 characters weren't realistic / serious.

Realistic, I agree. Poor choice of words. There are few, if any, realistic characters in the entire SF series.

SF3 characters were definitely more serious than Sim, Gief, Honda, and Blanka. WW's were way more cartoony in their design and backstories.

That Sakura vs Gief vid is just dumb (no offense to the person that posted it). What is that scene from? Obviously we have to suspend reality when considering anything SF, but come on. :|

I don't know. I mean yeah, I don't know everything on SFIII, but it seems kinda harder for me to take like a character like Dick Tracy with a mask, whatever Necro is, a boxing butler guy who's after his car keys, Sean, and an old hermit that fights with 1 arm behind his back and flies around a jet that he stands on as being more serious than Zangief or Honda. That's not to say it's a bad thing, because personally serious backstories or whatever don't really become the most important thing ever to me in fighting games, it's just that those characters in particular seemed less serious than the SFII characters, or even the Super additions. I'm not going to decide "this character is garbage" or "this game is trash" because...I don't know, some character shows up who happens to be a librarian that fights like Eddy from Tekken because they read books on it.
    Wait...you mean eating a lot of electric eels WON'T let you create and control electricity like that guy from InFamous? No way.
    It's a video game. Who fucking cares? You got a guy who can swap bodies whenever he wants, generic experiments, A man turned wildebeest and a lot of other nonsense. It's a bottom of the barrel non-issue shit to complain about.
    It's a game yeah, but it's also an artistic work in matters of narrative and design. A game that handles more carefully and consistently those points is better than a game that doesn't.
    LivewireX wrote: »
    Wait...you mean eating a lot of electric eels WON'T let you create and control electricity like that guy from InFamous? No way.
    He's supposed to be a sort of exotic beast. The electric eel powers get the job done.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited January 2015
    Magegg wrote: »
    It's a game yeah, but it's also an artistic work in matters of narrative and design. A game that handles more carefully and consistently those points is better than a game that doesn't.
    [

It does. There is nothing inconsistent about having a schoolgirl street fighter in a game about street fighters. It'd be inconsistent if she happened to be a cartoon rabbit, or a giant walking hamburger, but that's not the case. She's a person with a talent for fighting, just like all the rest. Therefore she fits in the game.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Yeah, it's true. I half suspect the people complaining about Sakura are mostly upset that she fights dressed like a schoolgirl or because they think Sakura's some "anime cliche that has no place in Street Fighter". And if that's the case...let's be honest here, most fighters have things that are just as ridiculous, if not more, than supposed "anime" stuff. So really, at this point it's not worth making a big deal about because if we're gonna talk ridiculous things in fighting games, Sakura being a schoolgirl is way down at the bottom of the list. And that's just within Street Fighter.
    A big part of Street Fighter success to SFII character designs.

ken343.png blanka343.png dhalsim-sf2-vs.gif balrog434.png guile434.png bison434.png

Sakura would have never fit with these cast of true martial artist machos (and lady). No one would have bought her in the game back then.

She is fine as a singularity, but we don't know any more "improvised" fighters, stay away the far you can for the new designs, please.
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy ARIA is the only answer Joined: Posts: 11,768
    Those are some.....yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh..............I'll...pass.
  • Screw_TiersScrew_Tiers Screw_Tires? Screw_Tears? Fuck This Name Joined: Posts: 867
    Again, what the fuck does SFII have to do with anything? Stop acting like Sakura will retrofitted into SFII cast.

I'm guessing if a design and/or character look doesn't fit in with SFII, that character shouldn't be in SFV?
    "Farts stink like a motherfucker!"
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,916
    This thread...

Yeah this thread already started going going down hill, and now the breaks are gone. I'll say this last thing about this Sakura thing. I feel that Sakura is fine in Street Fighter. However I like some others here feel that the character is just a weak design. She's this uber badass that can wreck Zangief but her abilities aren't put into context. We're suppose to just accept she has potential and god like talent as the explanation for her beating men and women who've been training intensely and gaining experience since she was in diapers. That's weak. She has no muscle mass, no formal training, little experience, no superhuman abilities, but fuck all that all you need is raw talent to beat a giant man who wrestles bears and other amazing fighters. It's not about her being a school girl, it's that the explanation for her feats is lame, thus making the character unbelievable.
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice Psycho Denji Joined: Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    A older Sakura will be pretty awesome since this does take place in the future. I have no problems accepting that she is beating other fighters due to pure raw talent. Ive seen people in real life out do others that train in whatever field with just raw talent. Things like this do happen.

If Sakura does make the cast of SFV, I really hope she goes under formal training under a different master changing or mixing her style making her less shoto and more hybrid.
    Fightcade, Steam and XBL tag: Projectjustice
    PSN: Projectjustice77
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,916
    A older Sakura will be pretty awesome since this does take place in the future. I have no problems accepting that she is beating other fighters due to pure raw talent. Ive seen people in real life out do others that train in whatever field with just raw talent. Things like this do happen.

If Sakura does make the cast of SFV, I really hope she goes under formal training under a different master changing or mixing her style making her less shoto and more hybrid.

That's true. Some people with raw talent in something can out do those who've been training for a bit. But to out do a harderned Veteran who has trained and has like a decade of experience in it. No I have never seen that. That's non sense.
    BB_Hoody wrote: »

That's true. Some people with raw talent in something can out do those who've been training for a bit. But to out do a harderned Veteran who has trained and has like a decade of experience in it. No I have never seen that. That's non sense.

Yea i agree its non-sense but Street Fighter is fictional and in fiction you can push those boundaries.
  • SideshowRobSideshowRob Brb, busy saving anime Joined: Posts: 321
    Step 1) Add older Sakura to SFV
    Step 2) Add Oro as well
    Step 3) In story, Oro recognizes Sakura's potential and deems her worthy of receiving his gdlk training. I... suspect him being a pervy old man might influence his decision. :/
    Step 4) ???
    Step 5) Outside of pervertedness, Awesome.
    Step 1) Add older Sakura to SFV
    Why would she look older? Neither Ryu or Chun-Li do.
    Step 3) In story, Oro recognizes Sakura's potential and deems her worthy of receiving his gdlk training. I... suspect him being a pervy old man might influence his decision. :/
    I would prefer Gouken to train Sakura. If SFV is set before SFIII, storywise, that would kind of explain the absence of both in the SFIII tournament.
    Speaking of looking older, don't Ryu and Akuma kinda look older in SF3 or something? Of course...since Ibuki looks the same age in the SF4 games as she does in the SFIII games, even though she's what...16 in SFIII, and they're set a few years after SF4 (I think), who knows if that even matters.
    edited January 2015
    Yeap, it just doesn't matter. And we no need older Sakura.

EDIT:
    You saw the new Tekken character?

tekken7-shaheen.jpg

Hope they don't go this way with the "token politically correct country representation" either, this guy is just another "male professional model" only with a whatever it's called Arab hat, terrible gimmick.

Capcom usually goes for something more original and unique but I hope they don't go too crazy or too boring with the designs, because characters like Rufus, Fuerte and Hakan felt like a mockery of their respective countries.
    Post edited by Magegg on
  • HuertaHuerta Joined: Posts: 9
    Hello, New here. I'm a comic artist who is currently creating the Street Fighter 6 roster/story inbetween projects, for fun, of course. Since we see Ryu and Chun-Li are still the same in SF5, Ive decided to make a SF6 "game" and move the story forward 20-30 years ahead of SF3.

Anyway, I Just wanted to say even tho this thread was all over the place, its a good read with a lot of good ideas and has helped me a lot in coming up with more character ideas.

Peace
    Open for commissions.
    Huerta's Tumblr
    Huerta's EmAiL
    edited January 2015
    Huerta wrote: »
    Hello, New here. I'm a comic artist who is currently creating the Street Fighter 6 roster/story inbetween projects, for fun, of course. Since we see Ryu and Chun-Li are still the same in SF5, Ive decided to make a SF6 "game" and move the story forward 20-30 years ahead of SF3.

Anyway, I Just wanted to say even tho this thread was all over the place, its a good read with a lot of good ideas and has helped me a lot in coming up with more character ideas.

Peace

You can take a few ideas from this:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626633-super-street-fighter-iv-arcade-edition/63702228

http://gameideas.wikia.com/wiki/Street_Fighter_V

http://gameideas.wikia.com/wiki/Street_Fighter_Omega

And go to the Gameideas wiki, here's no fanfiction thread or forum.

Peace

Welcome to SRK. I guess with your story the world warriors and most other characters are gone. The only returning characters would be the youngsters from third strike and Alpha who would then be middle aged. You'd have to come up with a shit tone of new characters.

Peace

Ryu and Chun Li aren't the same at all. They look much older.

I think you should wait till more info comes out for your SF6 story.
    Cool for them, I think they're grateful they gave them someone who looks like a damn supermodel and has very little of an stereotype, but is Tekken doing a sort of popularity contest, are they trying to please everyone?

As for myself I think the design is completely bland. The name is nice, I agree.
  • JeanLucAwesomeJeanLucAwesome Joined: Posts: 115
    edited January 2015
    Characters from buried Capcom fighters would be great, Rival Schools, Power Stone, hell I'd consider Darkstalkers buried now too so even that.

I can definitely see Rival Schools. I mean hell that's where Sakura came from. I see Batsu fitting in quite well. Haven't played Power Stone so can't comment on that? As a Darkstalkers fan I can say for certain. Hell No! Are you mad?! A Darkstalkers would look so out of place. The only one I see fitting in would be Demetri at best.

I don't disagree, Rival Schools characters would work way better than the other two I mentioned. I was just throwing shit out there. Oh and yes I'm a tad mad. >:)
    edited January 2015

Peace

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626633-super-street-fighter-iv-arcade-edition/63702228

Awesome. Thanks.

Peace

Welcome to SRK. I guess with your story the world warriors and most other characters are gone. The only returning characters would be the youngsters from third strike and Alpha who would then be middle aged. You'd have to come up with a shit tone of new characters.

Yeah, coming up with new characters is the whole point; also aging some of the originals. Im hoping to keep the designs in the same spirit/direction as SF2/Super SF2 but the story taking place in the not too distant future. I feel Capcom lost some of its PUNCH when they made SF3 and SF4.

Peace

I may be wrong, but they dont look that much older. They just look more realistic/detailed.

I'm guessing to show off stronger graphics and to please the people who complained about how goofy/cartoony the characters looked in 4. Personally, I loved the cartoony nature of 4 but were in an era were realistic, gritty characters/stories are king.
    Open for commissions.
    Huerta's Tumblr
    Huerta's EmAiL
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy ARIA is the only answer Joined: Posts: 11,768
    LivewireX wrote: »
    I don't really see a problem with the new Tekken character at all since it was apparently made with input from a bunch of Middle Eastern players. But, people might get offended sadly, since people get offended by fucking anything and everything these days.

I feel offended reading this. Can I sue now? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    @Huerta What do you mean Capcom lost it's "punch"? Explain. Also completely doing away with the original cast is a bad idea IMO. SF3 proved that. Nothing wrong with new characters but some old ones need to remain to keep the current fan base. Image if MK9 had said forget Scorpion, Sub Zero, Lu Kang and all of our other iconic classic characters were starting from scratch. That would've allienated a lot of long time fans. And in such a niche genre where new comers aren't constantly coming in to make up for that, that's a bad move.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    1. Why has this become the Sakura thread? Never knew she was so popular. Is it the flower kick? The fact that she looks like a female Ryu? (should be right up Tali's alley) The Japanese schoolgirl fetish? Tomboy fetish?

2. SF3 NG: did have Ken and Ryu. Later Chun Li and Akuma were added. I believe SF5 is going to have at least 4 SF2 characters and up to 8. For financial assurances.

edited January 2015
    @Huerta What do you mean Capcom lost it's "punch"? Explain. Also completely doing away with the original cast is a bad idea IMO. SF3 proved that. Nothing wrong with new characters but some old ones need to remain to keep the current fan base. Image if MK9 had said forget Scorpion, Sub Zero, Lu Kang and all of our other iconic classic characters were starting from scratch. That would've allienated a lot of long time fans. And in such a niche genre where new comers aren't constantly coming in to make up for that, that's a bad move.

Capcom has been struggling creatively and fncancially. But, explaining why I think SF3 and SF4 are weak compared to the originals, would kind of go back to what was discussed earlier in the thread.

IMO, SF3 was meh, not because of the new cast, but because the designs and direction for the new cast and story were weak. I believe SF can have new characters but they must capture the essence, charm and coolness of the original Street Fighter 2 characters. Also, SF3 wasn't very diverse with 8 characters from asia/Japan and the other half from different countries.

IMO, Stereotypes are the essence of Street Fighter, but the trick is, they have to be cool and iconic to work. Capcom (who are japanese) have a tendency to make characters from their country, awesome. Examples: Ryu, Ibuki, Oro, Akuma, Gouken, EHonda etc. Theres some goofy ones but mostly badasses. While other countries get the shaft. There are some cool characters from other countries but using El Fuerte, Rufus, Sean and Necro as example of poor designs and weak stereotypes.

For my SF6 idea, I'm getting a lot of my inspiration and concepts from the main/original SF characters, countries that haven't been represented yet and modern MMA.
    Open for commissions.
    Huerta's Tumblr
    Huerta's EmAiL
    edited January 2015

Peace

Awesome. Thanks.

Peace

Yeah, coming up with new characters is the whole point; also aging some of the originals. Im hoping to keep the designs in the same spirit/direction as SF2/Super SF2 but the story taking place in the not too distant future. I feel Capcom lost some of its PUNCH when they made SF3 and SF4.

Peace

I may be wrong, but they dont look that much older. They just look more realistic/detailed.

I'm guessing to show off stronger graphics and to please the people who complained about how goofy/cartoony the characters looked in 4. Personally, I loved the cartoony nature of 4 but were in an era were realistic, gritty characters/stories are king.

I dont know what your experience with the SF series is but if you look at past games. Do a comparison on how they look but also they move and how their attacks style differ from game to game. If you have that experience you would know that both Ryu and Chun Li are in fact older.
    Post edited by Projectjustice on
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    older Sakura
    I like that pic but at best it'll only be an alt outfit. I doubt any of the pre-SF4 characters will be getting new looks for their primary outfits. Also, considering that Sakura was 16 during the Alphas, she's 20-23 during SFIV. Sakura has long since graduated high school. She just uses the sailor uniform as her battle attire.
    I thought she was like 19 in SFIV, and speculated to be like 21-22 in that ending movie where she looked a bit older? I mean, granted it's not an issue either way, and I'm not going to claim to be some expert, I'm just saying.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,314
    I find the "it's her battle attire" to be a flimsy excuse to keep the sailor uniform on her.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • CiondeCionde Joined: Posts: 11
    Jin Kazama
    toasty-bbq-shack-get-on-over-here-t-shirt.jpg
    edited January 2015
    I find the "it's her battle attire" to be a flimsy excuse to keep the sailor uniform on her.

Hey, it worked for Karin. And Athena in KOFXII and KOFXIII. Though...that might not be the best example.
    Post edited by LivewireX on