Rising Thunder - FIGHTING ROBOTS

FrozteyFroztey The Ascended OneJoined: Posts: 8,475 mod
edited July 2015 in Fighting Game Discussion
I'll add a trailer when one gets released anywhere, saw the teaser at EVO earlier and I'm really impressed with what I saw from it, the game was pretty to look at and the gameplay looked fun. There's a technical alpha starting on the 28th and I've signed up, the website is www.risingthunder.com if you're interested. This game looks promising. Oh, GGPO as well for all of you rollback enthusiasts.

Post edited by Froztey on

Comments

• MajormelisThereMajormelisThere no labels Joined: Posts: 497
    I'm slightly interested, it's great to see a new free to play game that isn't attached to an existing ip. It's looking alright but I thought the trailer was kinda bland
    Skullgirls: Parasoul, Cerebella
    JOJO HFTF: Polnareff, Iggy, jotaro
    Umvc3: poor spider-man, poor ryu, ok sentinel
  • FrozteyFroztey The Ascended One Joined: Posts: 8,475 mod
    I'm interested in how they'll make robot characters stand apart from one another, could just become another Yatagarasu in terms of character design. Free to play always comes with many questions also.
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    According to Spooky, apparently this game is being made by the Cannons. If that's true I'm surprised by how little coverage it's getting.
    I guess sponsorships and the CPT take the headlines in advertisement. But considering it's in an alpha stage I really doubt they have much to show at this point that's concrete anyway and want to keep it short.
  • HyenaboyHyenaboy Joined: Posts: 77
    It looks a bit too much like SFV for me to really latch onto it personally. I've never been one for the giant fighting robot/mech genre.
    It looks pretty, but it didn't really draw me in, and I think that the FTP model is gonna be wonky as a fighter because of the influx of casual players trying to have too much influence over the devs in terms of buffs and nerfs.
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Super Coffee Fighter V Joined: Posts: 5,174 mod
    It's not even listed on their site yet. Looks like evo has the debut.

http://www.radiant-entertainment.com/
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,665
    edited July 2015
    anyone else notive the ggpo3 logo at the bottom of the trailer?
    I remember the GGPO logo being fucking huge when I watched the trailer on stream
    I have a toaster so hopefully this gets ported to PS4.
    Doesn't having a free to play model make porting a game like it a little more complicated? I'd like to see it on PS4 anyway, that and PC seem to be the new mainstays for the FGC especially now KI is heading to PC.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    What is this

Why do these robots all have sexy lady voices

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

Froztey wrote: »
    Doesn't having a free to play model make porting a game like it a little more complicated? I'd like to see it on PS4 anyway, that and PC seem to be the new mainstays for the FGC especially now KI is heading to PC.

I was under the impression that KI is free-to-play.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,191
    Dammit i need more info! I think i saw a roman cancel in there!

Not really.

The free version is basically just an expanded demo that only allows you to play as one character, both online and offline. Paying money gets you the full game with all characters.

• EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow You Want Pain? Aegis Reflector Joined: Posts: 3,779
    Not a fan of robots but signed up anyway.
    I make Jazz-Hop/Soul-Hop: http://releases.prosodij.co.uk
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,326
    Dammit i need more info! I think i saw a roman cancel in there!

Just looked like a dash cancel to me. Frankly I'm probably wrong, but I'm seeing a lot of HnK inspiration in here. Boost cancel, that feminine robot with Rei's jump cancel into j.D, looks kinda interesting so far. Curious to see what the game is actually supposed to be. I can't tell if it's trying to be KI Lite or anime.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!

They're both distributed through platforms that Microsoft own so that isn't an issue for that game, if Rising Thunder were to head on over to PS4 terms would have to be met with Sony and I can't imagine that would be a walk in the park for them and take a while at least.
  • khaokhao Joined: Posts: 12
    It's beautiful, can't wait to know more about it
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,064 mod
    edited July 2015
    That's what interests me the most. I wonder what GGPO3 means. 3rd generation GGPO? Does that mean FBA client is 1st gen and what Skullgirls, 3SOE, VRes have is 2nd Gen?
    Hyenaboy wrote: »
    It looks a bit too much like SFV for me to really latch onto it personally.
    The way the hitstop seems to work makes it feel more like KI to me.

You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Yeah, I was drawing more comparisons to KI myself. Still a bit confused as to why every robot had a female voice when they looked kinda..guy-ish.
  • JocelotJocelot Don't give up! Joined: Posts: 5,194
    Yoooo just saw the trailer between MKX matches. Color me intrigued! Unfortunately my comp sucks so I know I won't be able to run it so I'll be depending on you dudes to show me how good it is!

I mean honestly the artstyle alone drew me in. Here's hoping the mechanics are as slick as dem robotzzzz
    Party Robot!!
    Now my head can spin. I'll be around for a million years, so let the party begin.
    jak d ripr wrote: »
    That shit had me in stitches. Nigga went for all these flashy set-ups and doom was like hold these boots.
  • TacticalLampTacticalLamp Joined: Posts: 58
    I will admit the trailer was more like a teaser instead of a trailer, which I think is why its so bland. But I definitely made an account and will be giving it a shot. You cant really argue with free.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,191
    The animations aren't roboty enough. I want to see compartments opening up, chainsaws, rayguns, telescoping limbs, etc. Cyberbots is a good source for inspiration.
  • noosetesternoosetester Joined: Posts: 856
    roomba dlc or fuck off
    edited July 2015
    I dunno it just looks like a normal-ass combo heavy 2D fighter with robots.

Not to say that I'm not curious, but overall it just looks really token.

• ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921
    This looks like something Bob survived in Reboot.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,665
    edited July 2015
    d3v wrote: »
    That's what interests me the most. I wonder what GGPO3 means. 3rd generation GGPO? Does that mean FBA client is 1st gen and what Skullgirls, 3SOE, VRes have is 2nd Gen?
    That speculation sounds correct to me: FBA is their first implementations of GGPO, what has been seen on consoles in certain titles could be the second implementation, GGPO3 can possibly be the next-gen implenation of it GGPO. This could mean GGPO/rollback becoming a standard for new next-gen console fighting games!!
  • Zane HitsurugiZane Hitsurugi X-buster, ready. Joined: Posts: 926
    Got a feeling that this is going to be very PacificRim/RobotJocks esque in terms of designs.
    PSN: hawkw1ng
    BBCF: Susano'o, Bang, Kokonoe UNIBEXLTEST: Enkidu/Yuzuriha
  • JetKinenJetKinen Joined: Posts: 578
    edited July 2015
    I was hoping for a more cyberbots look/feel to it.

Doesn't feel a whole lot of "robot" is what i'm trying to say

The feminines voices must be the pilots. I wonder if you can pick and choose the pilots and if they do bonuses.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,647

PS4 has a healthy selection of F2P games. You don't need PS+ to play them.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • ascensionXascensionX Joined: Posts: 404
    this looks fun i'm going to sign up.
    Support the Ascension X Project https://facebook.com/AscensionX2013 and follow us on twitter https://twitter.com/chrissanders3
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,692
    I subbed to the alpha :)
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/20/rising-thunder-the-pc-fighting-game-made-for-your-keyboard
    "RISING THUNDER: THE PC FIGHTING GAME MADE FOR YOUR KEYBOARD"

"And it’s easy to play. It’s easy to feel good, because Rising Thunder requires “mostly one-button, some holds, some button-plus-direction” inputs, with minimal motion input to pull off spectacular, devastating special attacks. I’ve done things I’ve never been able to do in fighting games because of Rising Thunder’s easy inputs. I’ve canceled animations, bait-and-switched opponents, and pulled off preposterous aerial combo"

As a Hit Box player, yeesh. This does not instill confidence in me. I hope with the style of game this is that the easy inputs don't lead to easy to mash high damage combos.
  • Reinhart_xReinhart_x Put Sagat on Megabus Joined: Posts: 79
    Also a Hit Box player who's kinda iffy about it. I signed up for the alpha but that was before I heard of the easy inputs. Hopefully it feels better than it sounds.
    "Please, my Wizard, give us today/We are sheep while others can play
    We fall short in egos and grace/We are so lowly we cannot show face
    EVO is the place where we will all go/Justin, PR Rog, Ricky, and Floe
    Help me see the light and put on my bib/Please, Mr. Wizard, can I have a McRib?" - Jamessmk, reading a hymn from the book of Evolution in the FGC Bible.
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The World's Strongest Joined: Posts: 3,158
    JetKinen wrote: »
    I was hoping for a more cyberbots look/feel to it.

Doesn't feel a whole lot of "robot" is what i'm trying to say

The feminines voices must be the pilots. I wonder if you can pick and choose the pilots and if they do bonuses.

I don't think they're piloted at all. The way they're designed makes me think that they're talking "human" robots like Transformers. Which is a shame because I really would like to see another 2D game with piloted robots like Cyberbots someday.
    Prove your justice to society.

Short match.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,064 mod
    edited July 2015
    Damn, so S-kill and the Cannon's are behind this?
    JohnGrimm wrote: »

Short match.
    Is it just me, or does that female voice sound like Sally Cahill, the announcer for Marvel vs. Capcom?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • SquidGutsSquidGuts ::Denim Boiler:: Joined: Posts: 170
    Short match.

So special moves have a cooldown? Meh

VLADIMIR: What do we do now?
    ESTRAGON: Wait.
    VLADIMIR: Yes, but while waiting.
    ESTRAGON: What about hanging ourselves?
    VLADIMIR: Hmm. It'd give us an erection.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • Hyper InfernoHyper Inferno Joined: Posts: 511
    Game looks cool, both aesthetically and mechanically. Wonder how many asymmetric mechanics like the invisibility thing they're going to put into the game to really take advantage of the fact that it's so netplay orientated.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/20/rising-thunder-the-pc-fighting-game-made-for-your-keyboard
    "RISING THUNDER: THE PC FIGHTING GAME MADE FOR YOUR KEYBOARD"

"And it’s easy to play. It’s easy to feel good, because Rising Thunder requires “mostly one-button, some holds, some button-plus-direction” inputs, with minimal motion input to pull off spectacular, devastating special attacks. I’ve done things I’ve never been able to do in fighting games because of Rising Thunder’s easy inputs. I’ve canceled animations, bait-and-switched opponents, and pulled off preposterous aerial combo"

As a Hit Box player, yeesh. This does not instill confidence in me. I hope with the style of game this is that the easy inputs don't lead to easy to mash high damage combos.

God, this fucking article. Fighting games are the way they are because people broke down an originally casual game into a science and discovered all the glitchy technical things about it to give them a competitive edge. Casual players can't compete with pros because of their mindset, not because of the difficulty of the inputs. I fucking suck at games, but when I saw Blazblue played competitively for the first time (thank you Mike Z and Dacidbro), it made me want to be a part of that. So I sat and learned the shit with a shitty Xbox dpad/analog stick and then moved on to learning everything again with an arcade stick. I could give an Xbox controller to an octogenarian and it would take them just as long to learn how to use it intuitively to play a shooter as it would take your average casual player to learn SF inputs. This article makes it sound like we're fucking rocket scientists.

The reason the "complexities of competitive play" are inaccessible is because the level of actual work and practice and mindset required to play on that level exceeds the attention span that the modern day "average gamer" has. If the inputs were what was holding people back, then we would have hundreds of thousands of pro-level smash players, but look how many people complain about H.Box's play or whine about no items or wave dashing or other tech people developed. If easy inputs are what people want, then why haven't games like Blazblue or P4AU taken off because of their auto combo systems? Why do people still complain about MKX even after shit has been simplified 2x over. I remember how long Deception fatalities were.

The only way to make competitive play accessible for the average player is to remove any complexity from the game. I see that it seems like specials have a timer on them to prevent "spam". Good luck on finding a serious competitive scene for this game.

Bitching aside, the gameplay looks super bland right now. I understand that it's in alpha, but it's visually and mechanically unimpressive. Then again, my new baby is Yatagarasu, so take what you will from my taste in games. I worry what the single button press moves will lend to how the moves function. Will there be single press SPDs? The easier the moves, the more mashing shit people will have to complain about.

I do have a certain affection for the Russian stereotype robot named Vlad though.
  • JocelotJocelot Don't give up! Joined: Posts: 5,194
    Game does look fun tho. From what the videos show. I am very interested in seeing more. I signed up for Alpha just in case I get a new PC or something.
    Party Robot!!
    Now my head can spin. I'll be around for a million years, so let the party begin.
    jak d ripr wrote: »
    That shit had me in stitches. Nigga went for all these flashy set-ups and doom was like hold these boots.
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,968
    snip
    so in other words this game isn't for you.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
    Former account:
  • MajormelisThereMajormelisThere no labels Joined: Posts: 497
    I'm curious, how would charge characters be handled ? Something like holding a button right?
    Skullgirls: Parasoul, Cerebella
    JOJO HFTF: Polnareff, Iggy, jotaro
    Umvc3: poor spider-man, poor ryu, ok sentinel
    I'm curious, how would charge characters be handled ? Something like holding a button right?

No charge characters I guess.
    Button layout:
    A B C
    S1S2S3

The 3 lower ones are dedicated to the 3 special moves you can select before the match.
    Former account:
    keo-bas wrote: »
    snip
    so in other words this game isn't for you.

tl;dr Evo scrubs are frustrating me and selling this game on casual accessibility feels like when gaming journalists tried to sell From Soft Games based on "OMG HARDEST GAME EVAR" rather than actual merit.

After seeing more of it, it doesn't look awful. I feel Killian on the idea of trying to make the fundamentals of a fighter more central rather than a game like Skullgirls where most of your work is done in training mode. My point is that if experienced FG players pick it up seriously, the casuals are still going to get bodied, so this idea that execution is what is holding them back is not the whole story.
  • Hyper InfernoHyper Inferno Joined: Posts: 511
    At the very least, when casuals get bodied in this game, they won't be able to use hard controls as an excuse and will have to suck up the fact that they just got outplayed.